Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome back to the Math twenty podcast with Me Joshua Fox, and today's little episode Guys is based off something Re said yesterday on Koreina's podcast This is Chaos, and she touched on something that is actually a big topic and it's randomly something I've been thinking about a lot lately. And and before I play the grabs and get into it, let me just set this up a little bit. So since married at first I ended, everybody obviously wants to know like what's next for the cast, and as RhE and Jeff are the only lasting match, the natural next announcement from them as a happy couple now living together would either be a real engagement or a pregnancy. Now. Firstly, on the idea of Re and Jeff getting married for real, I wouldn't really hold out for that, as Re said this on Karina's podcast, because.
Speaker 2: You guys did get married on a reality show. Yeah, what's your take on proper marriage? Like are you interested in getting married or just.
Speaker 3: You know what's really funny? I always said prior to the show, marriage for me has never been something like when women talk about I've always imagined my wedding to be like this my dress to be like this, I want to have this big wedding for me. I was just like, I just want to find my person that I have not a doubt in my mind about, and that was my biggest concern. I think marriage for me, it's really not a necessity. If my partner said, like, I really want to get married one hundred percent, but if I didn't get married, it wouldn't affect me, if that makes sense, as much as a relationship is something to be celebrated for, and people can celebrate that however they like. But you know, if Jeff did turn around and ask me to marry.
Speaker 1: Him, I wouldn't say no.
Speaker 2: So exciting. Look again, it's completely did you hear that? Jeff, Jeff? Jeff Jeff.
Speaker 1: And then, on the topic of any potential pregnancy or future little Muff's baby, reactually then said something that I think a lot of people should take notes of. In recent weeks, a lot of people have randomly started speculating and commenting now and again like, oh, is she pregnant? I think she's pregnant, because you know, they might see a picture where a certain angle or lighting may look like, oh, is that a tiny bump? And then people get excited, people ask people message her, and then alongside that, in any press interview that Re or Jeff, now do they're obviously asked about this, you know, their first ask, well, are you pregnant? Really? We've seen comments and speculation, and then when she says no, she's then asked, well do you want children? Are you already trying? Have you picked out names? How many do you want? You know, journalists just want a headline. And if we answered a question going, oh, we'd love twins and we've already chose the names. I know that how the media works, you know, on the front cover of that magazine, the next week would be Rie and Jeff's announcement we're having twins. And obviously they're not having twins. They've said maybe day, you know, that would be the dream. Anyway, Sorry, I'm getting a little sidetrack there. So yeah, here is retouching on this whole topic.
Speaker 3: To Karina, yes, I'm not pregnant, although every article says I am. And I think the weight game contributed to the pregnancy comments. And then I saw a few comments about me putting on weight, which is like, you know, it just sucks that women have to explain their body changes all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like men don't.
Speaker 3: I swear men don't have to do that as much as we do.
Speaker 2: No shit, it's like, sorry, our hormones are always up here.
Speaker 1: Like get our periods.
Speaker 2: You try being a man and getting a period.
Speaker 3: For when you have your period, you do look three months pregnant for a couple of days there, but I think you look. I was really honest with That's why I was honest with putting on weight and why I was starting a challenge, and because of the comments that I was getting. But Jeff and I definitely want to have kids at some stage. I think right now, it's just we do want to just focus on, you know, creating our home, like we've recently moved in together and enjoying each other's company outside the experiment and we're both doing our own thing. And as much as you know, I am thirty five, I've got into metriosis. I was told at twenty five I'll probably have trouble having children. And they actually told me when I had surgery when I was twenty five, I should have kids that year, and I was like, I'm single.
Speaker 2: Oh god, I just got goose bumps.
Speaker 3: I know, so it'll be it'll be an interesting journey I think when we do try and start having kids, and it's definitely on the cards, but just not right at this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and no pressure and don't let society pressure you in those ways.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it's just keep doing what you guys are doing now.
Speaker 1: To me, res response that is important for two main reasons. And the first one is why do we actually think it is okay to comment on somebody's body and speculate, you know, even if they're famous. You know, I think often it's like, well, during the public eye, it's okay, But actually is it okay? Would you want someone speculating and your body if maybe you were a bit bloated or you put a little bit away, and would you want someone to go are you pregnant? Probably wouldn't. And also in that response, rementioned how she suffers with endo. She had surgery when she was twenty five and she was told then, which that was I think ten years ago now that she should probably have a baby that year or she may have difficulty when she's ready to eventually try. And you know, now knowing this, people speculating and asking Rie about you know, are you pregnant, Are you having a baby? It feels kind of like insensitive and inappropriate, and obviously no one knew the background context there. But I suppose the point I'm getting to here is do we even need to know the background? Do we need to know the backstory? Like or should we as a society? And you know, fans of the show and these people just make baby plans and pregnancy and all of that just a no go topic unless the person themselves brings it up. And don't get me wrong, I know that there is really bad intent from people, and people are just excited and with Rie and Jeff, the idea of them starting a family one day is exciting as we were all kind of on that journey watching them fall in love. But I don't know. This is just something I was thinking about this morning. And it's funny actually, because for my actual day job, I work on other podcasts and produce things and like various projects. Anyway, one thing I work on is a podcast called Her Best Life, which is with Jackie Out who I worked with for the last couple of years on the radio show as part of the team there. And then it's Jackie and her best friend Gemma and a question they answered in a recent episode was does Jackie ever feel guilt or regret for only ever having one child? And as Jackie answered that, they both then kind of discussed how often in life, women who don't even want children sometimes feel pressured into it because of these constant questions and assumptions and yeah, I don't know. Take a listen.
Speaker 4: Do I ever regret or feel guilty about only having one child?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: You obviously have to and would like more. Yeah, And for me the answer is no, I actually don't. Like if I had have had another one, it would have been out of obligational guilt.
Speaker 5: I think some women don't want children at all, and that's fine as well. Like I feel like whatever works for you as a woman, don't let society or pressure or your partner or anything it dictates you should.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think you will know in your heart of hearts, You'll know, your gut feeling will tell you. Yone always said I was going to be fine with one.
Speaker 1: Hearing Jackie and Jemma have that conversation recently and then listening to re on that podcast yesterday and even how I think it was last week Jamie had to do our post saying no, she's not pregnant, you know, because of one single picture made it look like she had the slightest bump. And then I just started thinking on the drive to work this morning, like how much is the media to blame for maybe normalizing this type of questioning and comments, specifically, you know when it comes to celebrities, people of shows, you know, the Rees, the Jamies, the Jackie's, and you know, people we think we know, actually we don't. And then I fought back to me age twenty one, when I left my hometown, I was offered my first ever job in the media as an intern for a weekly celebrity magazine in London, and one of the first things I was taught there is going into any interview. I then started doing weekly with many celebrities, you know, going into any one of those with a female celebrity, I had to always ask the free bees, which is boys, body and babies. And that is because, you know, the editors of those magazines who were teaching me, because I never studied journalism, like I learned on the job, so I just listened and did as I was told. But like those editors drilled into us how those free topics would essentially sell on the cover. So you know, with boys, are they dating? If not, why are you not dating? If you are dating, you know, tell me every And then with body you'd have to be like, oh, are you happy with how you look at them? Innute? You know, are you on a diet? Are you following any plans? You have any goals to lose weight? Or like, are you planning any cosmetic procedures? Boatoxx boo jobs like anything. We just had to ask everything about bodies, and like I look back on now and I touched on this in my book, and I know that was mostly because the editors would hope they would maybe mention some brief insecurity or something that we could essentially then highlight as a magazine and pretending it was, you know, to normalize them. It wasn't. It was essentially just to kind of exploit that insecurity and make people judge them for it, which you know, I mean, I do talk about that in my book, and I don't feel great looking back at it. But then yeah, the last beat babies. When I'd go into those interviews, you know, I'd have to ask, you know, if they're dating someone, oh, are you planning babies, to want babies together, and if they weren't with someone at that time, I'd to ask, you know, would you like to be a single parent, would you go down that route of IVF or like are they at a certain age and have to be like, oh, if you thought about freezing your eggs? And you know, if they already had a baby, you want another one? And actually it's funny thinking back, because I was twenty one, I didn't even know half these things meant. I'd get told like, ask if they thought about freezing their eggs. I didn't even know what that meant at the time. Sorry, again getting sidetracked. And as I said, I touched on this in my book while reflecting on my career, but I didn't realize back then how every question I was being told to ask was essentially reducing every woman in the world to free topics because a bunch of other women in a boardroom said, Hey, this is apparently the only thing that all women want to read about and will buy a magazine if it's mentioned on the cover. And I suppose for a while now the last few years, I thought like, thank god, we have all moved on from that, and that mentality, but just this baby stuff lately, I thought, well, actually, maybe we haven't, And then also thinking like, you know those magazines, which is not as many around it anymore, but for years, like every week on the shelves, you know, in the supermarket by the tills, week after week, every headline being centered around babies and pregnancies. I suppose like essentially that normalized this type of questioning in a stuff in a way that I suppose is now continuing, just not via magazine covers, but via the consumers of those on social media when they do go, oh my god, are you pregnant because there might be a slight bumb or whatever in a picture, and yeah, I don't know. Just a few thoughts this morning from me, a man who can never fully relate to this topic. Actually, is this what man'splaining is? If I just said something that never needed explaining. If so, please don't cancel me, because I promise my intentions are good here. It's just genuinely something I've been thinking about after hearing Jackie speak about it, and then re and just seeing how you know, every year when they're is a celebrity someone in maths, where do you go are you pregnant, Are you pregnant? Are you pregnant? Constantly? Are when you're having babies? And maybe we all need to collectively move away from that for now though. That is all I've got for you. Have a lovely day.