Speaker 1: Hello, I'm torri Archbold. For two decades, I've nurtured the world's top performing retail brands and celebrities. Now I'm asking entrepreneurs, CEOs, and influencers to share their own secrets to success. They're highs, their lows, the game changing moments, and how they got to where they are today. It's a podcast equivalent of opening the best Little Black Book of Contacts. Ever. If this resonates with you and you're ready to step outside of your comfort zone and into your power zone, I invite you to join my exclusive community via our website, The Powerful dash Steps dot com. Welcome to the Powerful Stories Podcast. Now today we're going to be talking about financial abuse, which a lot of people don't want to admit to, or they don't want to talk about what's actually going on in their life, whether it's with friends, whether it's with family or colleagues. Now I feel very, very privileged to have a dear old friend of mine, Katherine Fitzpatrick, who is the founder and director of Flequidy Adventures, an independent consultancy that helps businesses improve outcomes for their customers experiencing vulnerability. Her mission is to disrupt financial abuse, but most importantly, she's an advocate for systematic change, so knowledgeable on this topic. You are an AFI one hundred Women of Influence. You are the right person to be deep diving on this very powerful conversation today. Welcome Catherine to the Powerful Stories podcast.
Speaker 2: Thanks Toy, I'm really pleased to be here. And you did say old friend, I think long time acquaintance would be better than old Thank you.
Speaker 1: I did think that when I said old, but I like long time because we have known each other for almost two decades. I would say, since Speller is almost twenty.
Speaker 2: And the same with my daughter, which I think is when we met when I was doing some work for UNISEEF and you were working for Murray Claire and we help to raise awareness of their fantastic programs around HIV AIDS by joining with fashion designers to design outfits for teddy bears.
Speaker 1: Amazing, I know, and who would have known that We're now advocating for another area that women need help with. And I'd love to be able to just deep dive on the topic of what actually is financial abuse because a lot of people listening to this, like Tory, what is this topic? How does it apply to me?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So Financial abuse is something that a lot of people don't necessarily even recognize when they're in it. It's a form of domestic and family violence. And what it is is when someone tries to control another person in the relationship through their access to money. What does that mean. It might mean that you get an allowance, and you only get the allowance if you weigh the right weight, or if you do the jobs that you need to do around the house that you're instructed to do, or you might not get any money at all, so you don't have any ability to make decisions for yourself or in fact, even try to leave if you're in an abusive relationship. I saw your face when I said some of those examples, Tory. They are examples that my colleagues and I, over the last decade or so, have heard from women.
Speaker 1: So if I'm sitting here in an absolute shock, which no doubt you were as well when these came across your desk in various roles that you've had, why did you decide that you wanted to change the system, that you wanted to empower others, that there was another way to be in a relationship.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess it started for me when I was a pretty young journalist and I was twenty four and I covered a terrible crime in Western Australia where a woman was in bed with her children and her ex husband laid in wait and then shot and killed the two children, shot her in the leg, she lost her leg, and he committed suicide. About a year after that crime, I contacted her and asked her could I please tell her story. Her name's Anne O'Neil. She's extraordinary and she gave me the great privilege of being the first journalist to ever interview her. And when I spoke to her, her experience just affected me profoundly, and it's always motivated me in every single role that I've had. So I was a journalist, I've worked in politics and government and not for profit and in corporates. So when Rosie Batty was then made Australian of the Year in twenty fifteen, so that was like twenty years after I first met Anne, I was very fortunate to be working at an organization where our CEO just came back and said we need to do something and I said, well, here, I think this is what we need to do. So he said, go do it, and I rang and said, can you come and help us, can you tell us what we need to do. I worked for a really big bank and we really needed to work out what's a role for a bank in domestic and family violence. Isn't this something that's behind closed doors? And we talked to a lot of victim survivors, a lot of people in the women's safety sector, and said, we do have a role here. And one of the ways it shows up in a bank and any financial service is through financial abuse. That's sort of the motivation for me, and then I found that working in a big bank. I've worked in two of Australia's biggest banks. I've been on advisory councils for the Commonwealth government and for the New South Wales government and through other organizations. I'm just motivated to change it because women shouldn't have to choose between violence and poverty. They shouldn't have to they we just need men to stop. The reason I set up my social enterprise is to disrupt financial abuse. It's to disrupt gender bias. It's to do that through better product and service design. Because everything that we've been doing today isn't working and there are vast amounts of women who are stuck in really violent relationships who don't have the ability to leave, and it shouldn't be up to them to leave, It should be up to the men to stop.
Speaker 1: So some of the statistics around this because I think financial abuse is something that a lot of people don't physically see, and traditionally we see domestic violence as in like, it's violence, like someone hitting someone, it's not like emotional and psychological. What are the warning signs and what are the trigger points that might alert someone to be able to help another person that's stuck in a situation like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's really interesting because a lot of people who are in a financially use of relationship don't realize necessarily that they're in it, but other people might be able to see, or they might not because it is really hard to see. And there's a lot of people who live with the shame and the guilt and the terror of being in a controlling relationship. So we know that one in six women are impacted by financial abuse over their lifetime. That's almost the same rate as physical violence. So one of the things that you might see if you were a friend or family member or a colleague is someone might just say, look, I can't go out with you and make excuses where they used to be able to go out because they need to be home on time, because they don't have any money to be able to pay for things. They might not be buying coffee anymore at work, some little signs like that. But I guess for women who might be experience andying that financial control, they might come to see that there've been credit cards that have been taken out in their name that they had no idea about. There might be cash that was in the offset account, or cash in a joint account that's all of a sudden been cleared out and they've got no access to it. For when somebody separates or divorce, that is a time that financial abuse can either start or it can worsen and escalate. So unfortunately, the ways that perpetrators try to control someone through their access to their money might happen long after they've separated or divorced or escaped that relationship.
Speaker 1: So I've been on the receiving end of this where I woke up one morning and I'd had credit cards that I didn't even know that I had were wrapped up with tens of thousands of dollars. I also was on the hook for someone else's dead. I had someone who wanted to take out a car lease in my name. And I've also had someone that has said that they were paying the rent but didn't pay it. And then I got asked to leave my family home with my daughter. Now, I know that a lot of people are not as fortunate as what I am because I have the get up and go to go out and you know, create and make money, you know, And I think that there's some kind of makeup in me where I have that ability to survive, but not everyone has that ability. Where can you seek help? Because I know when this happened to me, I was very ashamed about what was happening. I didn't want to say anything. I was being chased for debt that I knew wasn't mine, but I was responsible for because it was placed in my name. It's a really hard situation to be Now. I didn't ask anyone for help. I just extracted my self out of that situation because I was embarrassed by it. But if you decided to get rid of the guilt and the shame around that, where can you ask for help?
Speaker 2: First of all Tory, I'm so sorry that that's happened to you. And unfortunately you're not the only person I've heard that from. So many women have experienced that, and it can be the consequences can last for a lifetime. It's why we see women who are over fifty five as the fastest rate of homelessness people in Australia because they're saddled with this debt. And you know what's really interesting is nobody's saying, actually, well, very few people are saying, well, it's in my name, but I don't want to have to pay it. Most people will actually try really hard to repay the debt when it's in their name because they are ashamed and they don't want to have that black mark on their credit report and all of those things. But they shouldn't have to because actually it was somebody else who did that to them. So ways that you can get help, obviously, there's one eight hundred RESPECT, which is a free national service that you can call and they will help point you to some specialist services. There are a range of different organizations that do specialize in financial abuse and economic abuse. I could name a few, like the Center for Women's Economic Safety, good Shepherd has the Financial Independence Hub and here in New South Wales there's Redfern Legal Center which has got a specialist financial abuse service which is really terrific because they bring together financial counselors as well as community legal center support, so lawyers who can help extract all the different things. I think. Also you can ask your friends for help, right if you feel okay to do that and safe to do that. One of the other things I've really learned is that when you're in it, you're the only person who knows about your own safety, and you need to be the person who makes your own decisions about that. So you're going to know best, but it's where to go for that help, and the first person you speak to is usually the most important.
Speaker 1: So important. So this happened to me when my daughter was nine months old. So the first person I called was my friend and I said, I need to leave my family home and thankfully she was going away for a month with her husband and gave me her apartment and I was able to leave that situation. And really, I mean my daughter wasn't even walking at that age. It was incredibly hard. But really map out a plan as to how I was going to get bught, and I mean, you know my story. It took me twelve years to win the keys to freedom from everything that went on, but I ended up self representing, winning full custody of my daughter and got restraining order. But I find this topic so fascinating because nineteen years ago, none of this information was available, and the papers and the work that you've done to bring these to life is so important. But it also does start with the institutions and the banks to be able to see the patterns, you know, so that women like me and like you know, thousands of others out there don't have to go through this emotional, you know, turmoil because it's completely stressful, it's heartbreaking, and you know you're running on empty trying to solve the situation. But how through your research and work, do these banks and institutions now have trigger points where they can actually call women and say how can I help you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and look, Tory, I just want to say I stand on the shoulders of so many people who have been doing this work for such a long time. So I feel very privileged to have worked with a lot of people who've worked in women's safety, who've worked in financial counseling and victim survivors who've been willing to talk about their experiences so that people like me who've worked in the corporate sector can better understand what are they going through and how could we help. So one of the things that I've seen in banking, So in banking, not everyone loves a bank. Let's face it, people don't really like banks. But you know what I've seen over the years is banks have really understood that actually they play a really critical role when somebody is experiencing domestic and family violence and financial abuse. Why is that Because research shows that women are more likely to contact their bank about economic abuse than they are to talk to a specialist family and domestic violence service. That's a really big responsibility for banks. Why do they do that. They do it because money gives you choices. They do it to separate, to disentangle, and to start again. So you'll see that there are a lot of banks that now have trained people with specialist teams. I set up a team at Commonwealth Bank to do that, for example, where we had special training. This is what domestic and family violence is, this is what financial abuse is. Unfortunately, sometimes people have to repeat their stories, and that's something that I know that lots of organizations are trying to work on. So you shouldn't have to ring up and say I am experiencing domestic violence. Here is my AVO, my apprehendive violence order or some other police statement. You should just be able to ring up and get to the right person quickly. But when you do that, you'll find that people will be able to put in place some supports, whether it's relief from a hardship, belief from paying your mortgage for example, setting up a safe account, those sorts of things. The other area that I didn't understand until I saw it was anywhere that you've got a joint account or anywhere that has got digital services is very likely to be something that can be abused in an abusive relationship. What do I mean by that? So when I was at Commonwealth Bank and my team was supporting customers experiencing domestic and family violence, one of them said take a look at this, and in the account there were these one cent transactions payments from her abusive ex partner and they were really awful. And so I had a teen of data scientists and I said, can you just tell me is this a thing, and they looked at eleven million transactions in a three month period and found eight thousand of them were really serious abuse, threats, harassment, all sent for as little as content. Yeah, where you would where I might send you some money through the app and I would say thanks for lunch, happy birthday. Those sorts of things people were writing, I hate you, unblock me from Facebook. I read one that was nine hundred messages long, nine hundred messages one cent at a time, so cost a total of nine dollars, and that included I can see you, I'm standing out the front. I want to kill you. I want to kill them all in a bank account. It's shocking, it's shocking and just horrendous. I can't imagine what it would be like to be on the receiving end of those messages. So that's called tech facilitated abuse, but it's really linked with your finances. What I'm really proud of in my career is that I was able to catalyze all Australian banks in Australia to respond to that, taking that information, talking to victim survivors, talking to the e Safety Commissioner who said, look at safety by design, this is what I've built with the tech sector and applying that in banking. So now that was twenty nineteen. Now we've seen banks have blocked over a million of those transactions. So they just block the bad words. So you can't send someone rent and say midget pawn, which is what apparently a lot of young people do, or other things like that. Gross, don't put it in your bank account. Seriously, I tell my kids and their friends. People can see what's in your bank account. Don't put stuff in there that you don't want to print out and take when you want to rent a house, right, just treated as something a formal statement. But people so bad words are blocked. Now there's also a number of the banks use artificial intelligence and they run machine learning and they look at for the patterns of that abuse, and then they have humans who read that and then they intervene and so they could be contacting the recipients of those messages or in two cases, banks told me they write to the people who send the abuse and they say, hey, we can see you. If you don't stop, we will suspend you or will exit you from the bank. And what they told me is that more than ninety percent of people who get those letters stop sending the abuse through bank accounts.
Speaker 1: Well, that's very powerful because I don't think i'd ever want to receive a letter like that. But when you get someone who's like my eyes on you make a change, it is extremely powerful. What are some of the statistics around domestic violence linked to this, Well.
Speaker 2: We do know that one in six women experience financial abuse, and that's about the same rate as women experience physical violence. It's about one in twelve men who might experience financial abuse. We know that in domestic and family violence cases about ninety percent of them experience financial abuse, so that's present at the same time as violence. And when men use money to control they are more likely to use physical violence as well. There's been some reports that show that the cost of financial abuse to victim survivors is five point seven billion dollars a year in Australia. It's a huge amount of money that then women who suffer from the gender pay gap, who don't have as much money in their superannuation, who are taking time out of work to be primary carers, and then they might experience this lack of access to money and it being used to control them. It just accumulates.
Speaker 1: So I have a crazy story which I haven't shared on the podcast, but I think it could be time. So I was the primary care of my daughter, and as you know, I was in and out of court for twelve years. Not only was I taken to court so that I would end up with nothing, I also had my frequent flyer cardbroken into to find out what plane I was on. And my ex ended up placing himself when he claimed he was unemployed. Next to me on a plane from Sydney to Melbourne and said to me, we're in the middle of you know what's going to happen with my daughter? And I said, it's about her. It's not about us, it's whatever the outcome is. It's about her highest and greatest good, her stability, her future. And he said to me, I will never stop taking you to court until you're left with nothing. And I was obviously very visibly distressed, and the air hostess kindly came over and got me and moved me further up. And I remember calling my lawyer after that, saying, number one, how did he end up? We don't even share the same last name. Next to me on a plane he's claiming he's unemployed. He keeps changing lawyers so he doesn't have to pay for anything. I'm showing up, I'm putting food on the table, I'm building a business. I'm paying my bills for legal representation. How did all this happen? And he goes, this is a one in a million chance that this man could have done that, and it years later I knew what it was. He'd broken into every single password in an account that I had, and it was like this terror train of like no matter where you turn, something's there to block you. And then I remember sitting in court, you know, after one time paying eight thousand dollars to renew my daughter's passport so that she could travel with me for work when she was younger. And now I look at it and I think it cost a couple of hundred dollars to run your passport. I paid eight thousand because I had to jump through hoops, because he really did want to drain me with nothing, right, He wanted me to have nothing. But what he didn't realize was that that would affect my daughter. I remember my lawyer saying to me, this is never going to go away. And then he said to me, this is about money, and I said, I know, and he said to me, I know, this sounds really terrible, but what if you offered him money to go away? And that was a very very real consideration for me. And I won't disclose what happened at the end, but that just triggered a whole thought process to me as like a reign of terror of twelve years of my life, which left me with PDSD, left my daughter with PDSD. How do you untangle yourself? And it does come down to that financial abuse piece and what makes the other person tick. But I reclaimed my power because what I did, and I'd love to recommend this to other people as well, is I went and so a psychologist and I said, take me inside the mind of who this person is, what makes them tick, and what do I need to do to have that breakthrough to get the keys to freedom. And that's one of the reasons why I downsized my agency and became more available to myself, because, as you know, I had that near death experience and that was just complete complete stress of this whole situation, which is why I really wanted to share today this story about financial abuse, because if you are in a relationship like this right now, you can get help. Don't be afraid to ask for help. But also you can end up with a happy heart because I married a great man many years later, and you know I got the keys to freedom, but it was after twelve years of like complete help. What is the usual cycle that people stay in this for? Like how long are they in this before they can actually exit?
Speaker 2: Look, i'd I don't know, But what I do know is that it can take a woman up to seven times before she's able to leave. And the first person that she tells and talks to about that experience is one of the most important. And it's why you hear people say believe believe her when she tells you don't judge her. She is the best person to judge what her safety is, what she needs to do. We know that if you have no money, the choice between staying and leaving is often a choice between violence or poverty. You've got to start again. It doesn't surprise me that you had all of those issues. One, you've got a stalker behavior where somebody is literally prying into all of your accounts. That's called tech facilitated abuse. These days, they probably didn't even talk about it that much twelve years old, you know at the start of that that is really typical now. And you talk to people who are working in the sector and they will say, before a woman goes into a refuge, they have to sweep her phone, they have to sweep her car and remove all the tracking devices. Changing passwords is just not good enough. You have to get new devices. They need to be safe. You've got to set up things really differently. So there's stalker behavior, there's the abuse of the court system. I'm going to keep taking you into court, so I'm going to bleed you dry. And it isn't always actually about the money. It's about control. So it's about this is the way I'm going to keep you in my life, dancing to my chin and so breaking free of that is huge. The fact that you were able to do that, the fact that women are able to do that with support or sometimes just on their own, is extraordinary. You know, there's a community attitudes survey that's done in Australia and there's a lot of people who still hold the belief why didn't she just leave? Where I think the question is why didn't he just stop? That's the first question he should just stop. Why didn't he stop? And then when you say why didn't she leave? Well, she may love him still, he could still be the parent of children. She might not even have the ability to leave because he's using these coercive, controlling tactics and keeping her in there and reeling her in. And you've probably heard the expression like gas lading or love bombing. So it's like I love you, or do all these things for you, lovely kindness and loving acts, and then the next thing you know, it's slap. I'm just not even physically, but it's just like, nope, now you're not doing what I command you to do, so therefore you're going to be punished for that. Living in that arrangement, it's like walking on eggshells, women say, and always saying, what do I need to do now so that I'm not punished or money is not with held, or love is not with held, or I'm treated really violently. So I think that there is a really macabre dance, and it's so hard for someone to extract themselves, and you've just described that.
Speaker 1: I often think my life story is a little bit like a Jackie Collins novel, only with a really good ending, because now you know, it's like it's had everything, and I'm kind of thinking, was I jinxed when I used to sneak those books into my bedroom when I was younger, read all this stuff and then all of a sudden it all becomes true. But what I do want to leave on this note is that we can all survive and we can thrive if we lean into the power of experts and you know people, as you say, who's the first person you call? One of that was my friend, but it was also the local police station and sitting in there going I think I'm crazy, but maybe I'm not, and then saying to me, you're not. I still keep in contact with Amelia who helped me nineteen years ago, and ironically, you know, she ended up being high up in the police force. But ironically she texts me a couple of years ago and said, I'm going through the same situation. Can you help me? And I was like, of course. So I do think it's important for women to speak up. I do think it's important for organizations to tap into what you were doing, Catherine. But most importantly, if you're listening to this podcast today and something triggers something in you, where can we share with people that they can go to either speak with someone that's going to help them, or access information that you've created, Catherine, so that they can just read and work out the next powerful step. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Look, I think the best place to start is one eight hundred Respect. It's a free service and they will then point you to the right organizations that are where you live, and there's a number of other fantastic agencies that provide you with that support. From my perspective, I work with business to say what do you do and what can what's your role in domestic and family violence. So there's a national plan in Australia that there's a ten year blueprint for the country and it's got this ambitious goal to end gender violence in one generation and it says there are three roles for business. One is you need to foster gender equality in the workforce. The second one is you need to provide lead to people experiencing domestic and family violence so help and you know, some organizations will provide leave to victim survivors. They'll also provide leave to perpetrators so they can go to court and those sorts of things, which is important because if they don't that could also be a trigger for more violence and abuse. But the third part of the National Plan says that businesses need to have products and services that are safe, that prevent misuse, and that hold perpetrators to account. So that's what I work on. How do you make sure that your products and services are safe if they're being weaponized in the context of domestic violence. No one wants to be the business that's a safe haven for abusers. So how do you make changes to those to disrupt the abuse, to make it much harder for perpetrators to do that? How do you send a strong signal to them saying we don't want you to misuse our products and services? And then how do you make sure that you are guiding that better protection for victim survivors? Because we've all got a role to play, and there's something that everyone can do in their own sphere of influence, and Tori, I think about the people who are going to listen to your podcast and do your programs, smart capable, powerful women. If every single one of them said what can I do? What can I do differently and took action, it will be part of that movement that we need and the best one is to support other women.
Speaker 1: Were we going to support you as you create this movement? And I just want to say thank you for sharing what financial abuse is most importantly, but how big business can get behind and prevent it.
Speaker 2: Thank you Catherine, my pleasure.
Speaker 1: Thank you for being here with me today. I trust that you enjoyed listening to yet another powerful story. Sometimes we can forget just how incredible we are as women and how important it is to support each other. I'd love you to take a moment to review the podcast and help support the show. You can also take a screenshot of this episode and share it across your social media. Be sure to tag me so that I can give you a shout out too. I'm a true believer of women supporting women, and I look forward to connecting with you again soon. Much love, Torri