Speaker 1: Welcome to How Do They Afford? That's budget battle where we each take a money tip from a listener and go head to head. I'm Michael Thompson and hello, Canna Campbell, Good morning.
Speaker 2: How are you.
Speaker 1: I'm going well. I'm looking forward to a win. We have an esteemed colleague, a judge in the studio here to help us decide a winner today. That judges my colleague from the Fear and Green business News podcast, Sean almas Sean.
Speaker 3: Hello, Hello Michael, Hello, Canna, Hello Sean?
Speaker 1: Can I kick us off? What have you got for us today? What tip have you dredged up from somewhere?
Speaker 2: It's a simple but powerful one. Just a reminded everyone to consider using air Tasker recently. I've been having lots of IT problems and I called a few various different tech gurus who provided me a range of quotes which were very expensive and involved coming and collecting my computer with me having to drop it off and lose it for a few days. But I jumped onto air Tasker, uploaded my issues and put up a budget and I was able to have someone help me online for twenty percent of what the original quote was provided, and I now have their details saved, so if I have any other future IT issues, I can contact them directly. I am going straight to the source, saving time and money.
Speaker 3: Thank you, excellent one, Michael, be that well.
Speaker 1: I will. In fact, I won't, Josh will because Josh has sent this to me via Instagram, and I'll read it exactly as it's written. In fact, he says, Hi, Michael, want a money saving tip that'll beat Canna. I have two words for you. Tool libraries. Seriously, he says, you need to get on board with these. Don't be fooled by the name. They're not just for tools. What do you mean, so for everyone, not just for me? He goes, don't be fooled by the name. They're not just for tools. A lot of them are called libraries of things now. It's capital L and capital T libraries of things now, says But the idea is that you go there and you can borrow what you need, garden tools, power tools, things for the kitchen, things for around the house. You can typically get them for a fortnight. Then you return it. You pay an annual fee, right, and this is kind of this is the money side of it. You pay an annual fee. Often somewhere around eighty dollars, which goes to maintaining the collection, and then you just go for it, and he says, it is so much cheaper than having to buy all these things yourself and store them. Pressure cleaner for the driveway, borrow one if you need a wheelbarrow. You borrow one ice cream maker for a dinner party, borrow one. Sporting gear, borrow it, camping gear, borrow it. You can borrow all of it and you only have to pay one fee of about eighty bucks per year. And you can just keep on borrowing things and you take it back and a fortnight is long enough to actually get the use out of it that you need. He says. Tool libraries or libraries of things are now dotted around the country and they will save you an absolute fortune. He says to me, he says, Michael, you're welcome. I think that's a cracker.
Speaker 3: I reckon it's a family member of yours. If he says Michael, you're welcome, that's exactly what you would say.
Speaker 1: Actually, it kind of is, isn't it. I think he's probably been listening to the podcast for a while. God Old Josh, but that's a cracker. Isn't it like it's just and what I have had a look at the websites and I kind of checked to make sure that they are available in Sydney, and I checked for Brisbane, and I checked for Melbourne. I checked for a whole bunch of different places, and they are. They are everywhere now, and they are just like if you need a tent, you go and borrow one from there, and you can't get like all these things for the kitchen, like expensive appliances and things, and you use it and then return it and you only pay once for all of it. And it's just I am blown away.
Speaker 2: By it once or once a year.
Speaker 1: Like once a year, yes, but I mean, that's it's pretty it's pretty amazing.
Speaker 3: Tell me, Cannam, if you were the judge in this and you weren't a competitive person and I was you, which one would you give it to?
Speaker 2: Michael wouldn't win that?
Speaker 1: It's good, it is good.
Speaker 2: Let's just give it to Josh, Like Josh, it's just not Michael. I'm coming with all my.
Speaker 3: Tips myself here. Give me a.
Speaker 2: Chance, like Michael's getting them off from everyone else.
Speaker 1: Getting all the hard work here.
Speaker 3: I'm not giving any credit to Michael, what service. So don't get me wrong here, it's always the listeners of how they afford that that's winning versus yourself in this one. That is just a great idea, Josh, not you, Michael, Josh big win.
Speaker 1: I love that you robbed me of my victory here I have won, yet I have so I cannot celebrate like you two, the collusion between the two of you to deny me what is rightfully mine. Like that's like saying that that a gold medalist at the Olympic didn't win the gold their country did. Like, No, I am the medalist here. I'm the one standing on the podium with the medal around my neck. I won, Josh. All Josh did was give me the tip. It was the presentation of it that really kind of brought it home.
Speaker 3: No, that's not right, Josh. Well done.
Speaker 1: Oh cheers, all right, Thank you very much, Sean.
Speaker 3: Thanks Michael, Thanks Hannah, thank you.
Speaker 1: There we go. That was the budget battle from how do they afford that? It is a bonus episode out each week. Send your own savings tips in. I'll put the links in the show notes so that you can pick either me or Cannah. Please be me because I need all the help I can get. It may be yours in the battle next week.