Speaker 1: Hi, friends, fans listeners of this podcast called Healthier, Well, I hope you are fans. Thanks for tuning in to yet another episode of Healthy your podcast and Body and Soul. I'm your host of Felicity Haley and joining us well on the other side of the screen today. Yes, we're in our online studio is our digital editor Holly Berkleman, and we are dissecting the three hottest topics in the health and uness world this week. Holley, welcome back to Healthy Shaw. Was your holiday in Japan?
Speaker 2: Thank you flys. It was a fantastic holiday. We went skiing in the Seco, which was amazing. It was like the best no, I think I've ever seen. It was a great season. Powder up to like your knees. It was insane.
Speaker 3: Sounds like a dream to me, like a dream.
Speaker 2: My voice so sorry to all the listeners. I've got a little bit of a cold, so I'm kind of doing the husky thing today.
Speaker 3: Look it sounds kind of sexy, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you, That's what I'm going for now.
Speaker 1: Well, what's been happening in the in Body and Soul h Q. When you've been away?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been away, but we've jumped straight back into some bab stories. So my pick for today is Chantelle Otten, who's an amazing sex ologist. She's our new resident sexologist at Body and Soul for twenty twenty five, which is super exciting and one of her first columns, so her second one was why intimacy is the missing ingredient in the bedroom. I asked her to write this because in our Body and Soul sex census last year, there was some really interesting research that came out of it was that intimacy was the number one thing Australians wanted more of in the bedroom, more than stamina, more than crazy positions or anything else, even more than more frequency. Is that they wanted deeper connection and more intimacy, which I found quite surprising. What do you think about that?
Speaker 1: I yes, yes, surprising, but I mean, thank goodness, not into the crazy sex positions that we feel like we should be doing but perhaps no one's actually doing, and that we're getting to the core of what it means to connect as humans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, I think it's quite moving actually, So I was very keen to hear Chantelle's take on this, and she says that she actually sees this all the time in clinic as well when she's talking to couples or individuals that many couples love each other and they do have sex, but they feel like something is missing. And part of that is because there are so many different kinds of intimacy, She says, there's emotional, physical, sexual, intellectual, and experiential, and missing even one kind can make your sex life and relationship feel a bit off.
Speaker 3: How do we get it? How do we increase it?
Speaker 2: I don't boost intimacy in your relationship. She's got three tips here, the first one being that intimacy starts outside of the bedroom. So if you're feeling how disconnected when you're having sex, it's probably not about the sex. It's probably more about your wider relationship. So have a look at how you're interacting throughout the day. Are you just talking about bills, schedules, what's for dinner, et cetera, or are you actually checking and having meaningful discussions.
Speaker 1: I'd like to throw another one in there, if that's okay. I think it is also involves getting off your phone.
Speaker 2: Absolutely get off.
Speaker 1: Putting it down and looking at the person and speaking to them just saying.
Speaker 2: I agree, And I think I've read something recently that was, like meal times, you should always try and have meals together and leave your phone elsewhere, because meals are such a good time to like properly connect and kind of foster that relationship. So the second one, she says, vulnerability is sexy, and being vulnerable is hard, actually, but being honest in your relationship is one of the most powerful tools. So she says that instead of faking your enthusiasm for sex, if it's not exciting you and it doesn't feel quite right, then tribing real about what's getting in the way for you. And that doesn't mean like being savage of me, like I hate this, this sucks. It might just be like I still feel a little uncomfortable about my body right now, so I'm finding it hard to, you know, feel comfortable having sex. Something like that. Don't use my words.
Speaker 3: Carry we get the idea. Yeah, it's all right, you've got it, Like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, about one hour time difference. Perfect. Then the third one she says is slow down. So if sex has started feeling mechanical and like you're just going through the motions, and hit the pause button and instead of rushing to the main event, explore pleasure at a slower pace and try and get back to basics a little bit. But she says the bottom line is that if your sex life feels off, it's not about the sex, it's about the intimacy and it's really important to work on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I like this new narrative that we're taking it more around, you know, rather than talking about sex so much and penetration, we're talking more about intimacy and building the relationship up.
Speaker 3: I like that one, Holly, thanks for.
Speaker 2: Sharvy great and like your relationship might not feel off because the sex is off. Yes, sex is off because your relationship is off.
Speaker 1: A good reminder to us all now.
Speaker 3: Mine.
Speaker 1: It's a bit of a downer after that one, but I just had to share it because I was rather alarmed to read this week that Australia has just been confirmed as having one of the highest rates of breast cancer in the world.
Speaker 2: So it's so so grim.
Speaker 1: Oh and especially when all these studies are coming out around younger women in particular getting cancer. But let's just focus on the high rates in Australia. So new research from the University of Sydney, the University of Queensland and Alberta Health Services in Canada analyzed global breast cancer incident and death rates across one hundred and eighty five different countries, and Australia and New Zealand were revealed to have the highest rates of diagnosis in twenty twenty two, with wait for this, one in seven women, one in seven and one in five hundred and fifty men diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime.
Speaker 3: That is a lot that is so high, so high.
Speaker 1: And interestingly, breast cancer diagnosises have increased by twenty four percent in the past ten years, which so rates are going up now death rates have dropped significantly. We actually to counteract this. Australia has one of the lowest breast cancer mortality rates in the world, so you know, our chances of surviving the disease are really strong.
Speaker 2: Many diagnoses, so many dinoses.
Speaker 1: I also wonder, though one hundred and eighty five countries, how many of those are in the developing world versus the developed world. So I mean, I feel like perhaps we could be more attuned to what cancer feels like earlier on. I don't know, just just you know, putting that out there, but I did. I want to raise this because I think it's just a reminder to everyone to know you or normal. So you take time to get to know how your breasts look and feel in different situations when you're showering, getting dressed, putting moisturizer on. I mean, you don't need a special technique. Back in my women's health days, there was a three finger technique and feel around your breast. But you just need to make to know what's right for you at different times of the months as well, because you know, depends on where you are in your cycle or if you impairy or wherever, it can make a difference to how your breast feels. So tonight, listeners, you know, feel your breast under your arm up to your collar bone, all around.
Speaker 2: Your breasts, and you know what, it might help even to make notes or something like if you feel some sort of breast can be lumpy, Yeah, if yours are, maybe make a note of what you're feeling and then you have something kind of like a line in the sand to compare back with. Yeah, that's just what I do. I like keeping notes of things like that because I find it easier. That's impressive, yeah or crazy, but yeah, I think make it part of your routine. And your schedule. Remember we said late last year as part of a story that it's good to put it as part of your calendar. So maybe it's a week after your period, every monthly habit of checking. But I agree that you do need to check at different times of the month too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and it changes. I mean for me my breasts. You know, as I've moving through life the different times of the month that they might be a bit tender versus not versus where I'm in my cycle. They do change. But just know your normal. Okay, give us, well you going to uplift us or warn us? Tell us give us a quick rundown on most clicked story of the week.
Speaker 2: Look, I'm not sure if it's uplifting or a warning. I think it's quite funny, but I also think it's probably good health advice. So this story was the one thing you should never do when you pee, any thoughts fly.
Speaker 1: No. I saw this headline and I have no idea.
Speaker 2: My guess would be not to be on your phone and the toilet I have also read is not great for you. But this one is actually squatting over the bowl rather than sitting down, which for jomophobes like me. When you go out and about, you might not want to sit on the toilet.
Speaker 1: I always squat when I'm out and about. That might be am I, but I do. I'm not sitting on the toilet seat, and I'm trying my kids to do the same.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And if I do have to sit on it, you better believe there's like seventeen layers of toilet paper on top of her.
Speaker 3: Yep, yeah right.
Speaker 2: According to doctor Carroll Figures, a professor at Duke University School of Medicine, when you don't completely sit down, your muscles are not completely relaxed. So in order for the blood or to be completely empty, the pelvic floor muscles have to be let go. So she says that an individual's muscles are usually thirty to tens when squatting, meaning a portion of your bladder contents will remain in there. So why is that a problem. In the short term, she says that carrying around old urine, which is an absolutely foul term. But carrying around old urine places you at a risk of accidental leak if you sneeze, laugh, jump, or cough grim. That depends on your overall pelvic strength. Pelvic floor strength too. Then the long term. She says that old urine can cause irritation inside the bladder, leaving you feeling like you need to urinate more often than you usually would.
Speaker 1: Wow, so use that. You know, in some public toilets you actually get the liners that you can put on. I need to reach for this more often. And also when we talk about squatting, we're not talking about squatting as you do in Asian countries.
Speaker 3: So just over the seat, just over the seat.
Speaker 2: Sit down, guys, popper down and sit down. Do your bladder a favor.
Speaker 1: Okay, helly, you know what, I'm just going to think of you every time I go to a public tolet.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: I know that sounds weird, but I can't squad anymore.
Speaker 2: It's great for you.
Speaker 1: Well, I hope you feel better soon. Welcome back from Japan and we'll see you next week.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much.
Speaker 1: Have a great week everyone, And once again, if you do want to read any of the above, I will leave the.
Speaker 3: Links in the show.
Speaker 1: You know, you can DM me at Felicity Harley if you would like. Well, if you have any questions or comments, let me know or head online bodyansoul dot com dot or you can of course Follow Body and Soul on Instagram, Facebook, or TikTok. Grab our print edition, which is out in your local Sunday paper. Thanks again for listening, and stay Healthy is