Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Britney Saunders and welcome to Big Business, the place where business is far from boring. And today I'm recording on gaddigall Land. Now, I somehow managed to build an empire from the garage underneath my house and I'm here on Big Business to share it all with you, from the winds, the mistakes, the challenging times and the funny moments in between.
Speaker 2: So, whether you're in business yourself.
Speaker 1: Perhaps you're not in the game at all, maybe you're just looking for some inspiration, or you simply just want to hear the tea when it comes to business, this is the podcast for you. Coming up on today's episode, I'm going to be talking all things my keynote speech. If you follow me on Instagram, you will have seen that recently over a weekend on a Saturday.
Speaker 2: And Sunday, I was working.
Speaker 1: I worked on the weekend and I did my keynote speech, which I've done once before, so this is my second time doing the same keynote. And I actually had a lot of people who saw it on my story who couldn't attend on the day say, is there any way that we can like listen to this or watch this and whilst I can't run through the entire keynote because it's very visual because you kind of got to, you know, watch the slides and the screens, and I have a lot of images that I share in my keynote, I thought I could sit down today with Xander and we could run through it, and I could also talk about some of the best bits of the talk because I got.
Speaker 2: A lot of feedback after it.
Speaker 1: I did a little imprompt you meet and greet at the end of both days, and I had a lot of people come up to me and ask me questions and say what they liked about the chat, and there were some great key takeaways in the talk. So I thought, I'm just going to talk all things talking keynotes in today's episodes. So let's just get straight down to business. So we've got a lot to chat about today about my keynote, I want to share, like all my thoughts and feelings about actually doing keynot speeches, because I know that when it comes to public speaking, it's not everyone's cup of tea. In fact, I think the majority of people hate the idea.
Speaker 2: Of talking to a large crowd.
Speaker 1: But I thought I would start by talking to you about I think the best slide in my keynote, and again, if you saw my stories from over the weekend when I was doing the keynote, one of the slides in big red writing, it said do it scared? Do it scared? And this Why are you laughing, Xander? What do you think when you hear just do it scared?
Speaker 3: I'm laughing because on the weekend I saw that slide on your story and I listened to the advice and I did something. Oh yeah, I just remembered that when you said that, So I had a little giggle.
Speaker 2: There you go. So you were meant to see it. Yeah, So do it scared.
Speaker 1: I want all of you to think of this always and remember it kind of make it your motto. And it was something that I really emphasized to everyone when I was doing the keynote is just.
Speaker 2: Remember to do it scared.
Speaker 1: And the reason why I included that in my talk is because I was talking about content creation because it was like a content kind of event. But in my keynote, I tell my whole story from start to finish and how my whole career started because I started making those YouTube videos, and how I quit my job when I was twenty one, and how I signed my first commercial lease, you know, when fate started to become something, and then how we moved into the building in twenty nineteen. I think it was where I made the plunge to open our first retail store, and I did all of those things scared. I was scared every single time.
Speaker 2: I was scared.
Speaker 1: When I hired my first employee, I was scared that I wasn't going to have enough money to pay her. I was scared that I wasn't going to have enough time for her to do in the day. I remember that being one of my fears, like what if I wade out of jobs to give her. But every single thing that I've done in my career that has scared me, I've just done it scared anyway, And I think a lot of people not even when it comes to content creation or business. It can be anything you know. It could be applying for a new role. It could be speaking up in your team morning meeting because you have something that you want to address, or you have a creative idea that you want to share with the team.
Speaker 2: It could be anything moving to a new city.
Speaker 1: It could be telling someone that they've upset you it could be in your relationships. People don't do things because they're scared. But I think it's really important to remember you can still do stuff even when you're scared. Just do it scared. The cool thing about doing a keynote right is because like you're talking for forty minutes straight, but you've got all these slides on the screen behind you, and I just write all big quotes in big bold writing. And I noticed that when the do it Scared slide was on the screen, everyone's phone went up.
Speaker 2: It's like people loved that.
Speaker 1: And that's a good indicator for me that everyone likes this topic because everyone's phone goes up and then they all want to take a photo of that do it Scared? And I think honestly, being scared and like a fear of failure or a fear of judgment, or a fear of what other people might say, you know, I know when it especially comes to content creation, people were like, oh, like I don't want to post that because I'm like what would my family say? Or like what would my friends say? What would my colleagues say? Like, you're scared of what people will say. But just because you're scared doesn't mean that you shouldn't do it. And I think a lot of people, with all things in life, they don't do things because they're scared, like, oh no, I'm too scared, I won't do it. But my motto of this week and forever is just do the thing scared. If you're scared of doing something, that's even more of a reason to do it, because I think when you're feeling scared and oh I don't know, what if I fail? What if I fall? What if people judge me? And then you do it and then you succeed, I think you were meant to do it, even if you were petrified.
Speaker 2: It's how you grow. It is, it is how you grow.
Speaker 1: And a lot of people when they spoke to me after the keynote, they said, I loved the do it scared thing. So take it from me and just remember that quote anytime that you're feeling nervous about something or worried, like I even had nerves, because when you do the keynote. I was sitting in the front row and so I watched Jimmy Reese do his keynote before me. And he's a comedian and like you know, he's hilarious, and he had everyone cracking up. And on the Saturday, obviously that was the first day, and like I was sitting there and then I knew that his was wrapping up, and then they started to they come back up on stage and start talking about me, and as I know I'm about to be called up, like you start getting that scared feeling and your heart starts racing a bit, and then I.
Speaker 2: Like, wasn't breathing properly.
Speaker 1: So like, even when I'm going to do something like speaking in front of a thousand people, I'm scared, but I just tell myself, like I'm scared, yes, but I'm still going to do this thing. You can do the things scared. Just because you're scared doesn't mean you should go now.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to do it. I'm too scared. Do it while you're scared.
Speaker 1: And I just I freaking love that, And I think we can use that in any area of our life. It doesn't just have to be business, doesn't just have to be content creation.
Speaker 2: It can be bloody anything.
Speaker 1: So that was my favorite I guess moment from my keynote slides that I thought it was worth sharing here on the pod.
Speaker 3: When I saw you post about that on the weekend. I was figuring out because a lot of the time I personally, I like sit on my bed in my rooment I ruminate over things, and I'm going, oh, like I want to do this, but like I just don't. I don't think I can, or like I it's a fear about it. And I thought I had was like, well, if I'm always sitting in this spot in my house worrying about things or questioning whether I should do something, I should have those words somewhere on my wall in right mirror. So when I'm there and I'm worried and I'm scared, I have that kind of reference.
Speaker 4: Do it scared.
Speaker 3: So just a little bit of advice from me, and it is, it is silly, but have these things. I have a posted note with do it Scared somewhere, have something written on your wall.
Speaker 2: Put it as your wallpaper, on your phone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, literally anywhere where it's in sight, so it gets ingrained in your mind.
Speaker 4: It actually does work. Yeah, And I'm actually going to be doing that, going to do it Scared.
Speaker 2: Love that you can take something away from that.
Speaker 4: It wasn't even there exactly right.
Speaker 1: But I think that's the number one thing that stops anyone from doing anything really, Like, I think it's your self doubt, Like that's what stops anyone from doing anything. If like, most of the time you can do it, but it's your own fears and worries. And so that's why I love that so much, and I just thought I got to share it. Everyone, do it scared, even if you're absolutely shitting yourself, you can still do it when you're scared. On the same sort of theme, another huge chunk of my keynote on the weekend was how comparison is the thief of joy? We all know that saying, And again it was very visual in my keynote, I've got my slides up in front of me here so I can see them. But I showed some screenshots of my very first YouTube videos back in the day, and I also shared some screenshots, like photos of some businesses that I had attempted before I started Fate and I think, like did I think maybe? In the very first episode of Big Business Pod, I spoke a little bit about like other things that i'd done before Fate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've talked about the short lived beauty business and the even shorter lives phone case Debarcle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but just to give you a quick recap, like if you haven't listened to episode one A Big Business, which if you haven't, like go back and have a listen before I and not just for me, but you know, for a lot of business owners out there, Like you'll see business owners in twenty twenty five and everything they're doing, and you can often be like, oh wow, like you know, look at everything that this girl is doing, Look at everything that this person is doing. But what people don't see is like all the stuff that you had attempted earlier on. And so I took everyone in the audience along on the journey of all the things that I did, like years and years and years ago, like back in twenty thirteen, like Xander mentioned, and I'll just I won't bore you with the details. But in twenty thirteen, I attempted to start a few businesses. One of them was a spray tanning business where I was doing mobile spraytnds I had. I was living in a house where like the backsteps go because it's kind of on a slow peep block, and then you know how those houses have like a little brick room underneath the back of the stairs, like I set up a spray tanning business in there, and that one actually worked, like I got kind of busy Thursday nights, had all the girlies coming over for a fifteen dollars spray tan and then another one that I attempted in twenty thirteen, like this is.
Speaker 2: Over ten years ago.
Speaker 1: Was I thought I can sell iPhone cases, but instead of like making them, you know, actually my own iPhone cases. Like I went onto eBay because that's where you bought cheap stuff back then, and I bought plane iPhone cases.
Speaker 2: Then I went to Spotlight.
Speaker 1: I purchased all of these decorations like lace, pearls, gems, anything that I thought was beautiful, and I spent my own money on this. And then I sat there one night at my dining room table decorating these like with a hot glue gun, like putting all these decorations on iPhone cases. And then I tried to sell them on Facebook because like the Internet was so different back then, like I don't I don't know if shopify existed back then, who knows, but you know I had three or four hundred friends on Facebook, so I was like I could sell to these people, and so I posted this photo beautifully hand decorated iPhone cases for sale fifteen dollars each, and I didn't sell a single one. And there were so many other things that I did before I wound up where I am now, like with Fate and the cafe and everything. And I think it's really important to not compare yourself to other people. And I think in twenty twenty five, it's extremely easy to compare yourself to other people because of the way social media is now and how there's so many businesses out there, and everyone's on Instagram and TikTok, and there's hunt thousands of businesses out there. It's easy to look at what everyone else is doing and compare yourself to them and where they are on their journey. But I mean, for me, I started my entrepreneurial journey a very very long time ago, and it took me a lot of attempts to land on something which was fate that was the one that worked. That was the one that worked for me. And I spoke a lot about this in my talk, and I think it's just a good reminder don't look at other people, look at other people for inspiration. Absolutely follow people, admire what they do take notes and you know, learn from others, but again, don't compare yourself to them, because you're at a different point to them that they are in their journey, the same way that I would be at a different point in my journey compared to where you're at. And we've all been at different levels of our journey over the years, and it's just important to remember that you're on your own journey the same way that everyone else is on their own journey, and we're all at different at different points. Because if you get too caught up in comparing again, like you're just gonna delay, you're going to doubt yourself. And that was just another really important part of my talk is not everything starts out being amazing like you might see it is on social media today. Another big part of my talk was talking about risk taking, which I kind of already touched on in this episode already. Again, I think it all comes down to the belief in yourself. And like I mentioned earlier on every single thing that has happened in my career that has pushed me forward or pushed fate forward, is in a moment where I have recognized that I can say yes to something that scares the crap out of me, and I take a risk, and I think it's just really important to know that, you know, the classic saying without risk, there is no reward, Like we can't expect, especially in business, to grow or get more customers, or grow our following, or get new clients or whatever it may be. We can't just expect to sit.
Speaker 2: In the easy lane.
Speaker 1: I guess and expect that just because we own a business, things are going to come our way. It's when you take those risks that stuff will happen. And again, I think this goes back to you know, doing it scared and your fears. Everything that I've achieved has happened as a result of me taking a massive risk, and some of the moments that I speak about in my talk was, for example, when I moved out of my garage where I had my one employee and I signed my first ever commercial lease. It was then that we moved into a bigger space. That it opened the opportunity for our business to grow even bigger, because if you're limiting yourself in your space, we couldn't have grown any bigger in the garage. And it scared the crap out of me. That I was going to sign a commercial lease. I was terrified. It was twelve months long, and that scared me so much. You know, it was like a little lease. You know, mostual leases of five years, but the first one that I saw it was just a twelve month lease because it was like a little shed kind of thing. And I remember thinking, like, I don't think I'm going to make it that twelve months, or like I don't think I'm going to be able to pay the rent for twelve months because I've also got to pay rent at home, and then I've got to pay like my one employee. But then we moved into that commercial space, I started paying rent there. I hired my second and third employee there, and all of a sudden, this snowball started happening, which couldn't have happened if I'd stayed in the safe like in the safety net of working in my garage. So you've got to do those scary things to then see the growth. That's when it happens. The growth doesn't happen if you're just staying in your comfort zone and not taking any risks. And I spoke a lot about that in my chat. Another thing that I spoke about is how long of a journey entrepreneurship can be? And someone actually asked me after the talk, would you say that it's a marathon or a sprint? And I said, it's a marathon, and sometimes you're sprinting in the marathon, like it's both. And I loved that question. He said, yeah, is business a marathon or a sprint? It's a marathon that never ends, I would say, and you have to be patient.
Speaker 2: I mean, I know nothing about marathons.
Speaker 1: I've never run. When have you ever been in a marathons? Andrew, I feel like you are the kind of person that would have been I haven't.
Speaker 4: I've only done bodybuilding.
Speaker 1: Wait what you haven't but you've done bodybuilding? Yeah, you're so rare.
Speaker 4: I just want to flex, no pun intended.
Speaker 1: Anything that you want to do, whether it's content creation, starting a business, starting anything. I think we've got to remind ourselves the importance of it. It's going to take a very long time. And where we live in this world now where we love instant gratification. You know, we buy something online, boom, it can be at your door the next day, Like you can do something on social media and put it out into the world so quickly, you know, like online shopping, like TikTok, everything so fast. I think we have become such impatient creatures with how much we can get whatever we want at the click of a button. When you're wanting to do something like start a business, you want the success to happen overnight, which I get because I'm an extremely impatient person. Business has taught me to become way more patient. And I have learned over the years that all Gond beings tag time. I know, that's like such a cliche fucking saying, but since like doing everything that I've done, all these cliche sayings, I'm like, you know what, they're really true. And in my talk I spoke about how when I was twenty one, I quit my full time job.
Speaker 2: There was the risk that I took.
Speaker 1: You know, I think back then, because that was ten years ago or just over ten years ago. Now, my full time job was paying me five hundred and fifty dollars a week after tax, and my dream back then was to earn a thousand dollars a week. My dream was to get a job that was fifty two grand a year, right, But I threw in the full time job there was the risk that I took. I had eighty thousand YouTube subscribers.
Speaker 2: I was earning just enough.
Speaker 1: Off that YouTube channel to get by, And by that, I mean I knew I was going to have zero dollars in my bank account at all times, like I was just going to have enough to pay rent in my sharehouse. I was going to have just enough to buy a couple of groceries. But I took that risk and I made it work. But it took me three years after that to get to a good point. It took me so long, And it's very different now because social media is I would say easier to grow on now, especially with TikTok, Like this is back in the YouTube days. But I quit my full time job when I was twenty one, and then for the next three years, I worked so hard on that YouTube channel. I was pumping out so much content every single week. And it's only me that had the power to do that. No one else was going to make that happen for me. And when I was twenty four, I hit a million subscribers, and it took me three years to get there. And same with Fate, Like Fate is turning eight this year and I still feel like we're just getting started, which I know we're not.
Speaker 2: Like I know we're you know, doing.
Speaker 1: Amazingly by this point, but especially for you know, I always talk about I've mentioned it on here as well. The first three years of Fate was a practice.
Speaker 2: Run for me.
Speaker 1: It wasn't until about three years in that I feel like Fate really started. Like for the first three years, I was just figuring shit out, doing everything wrong, and we didn't start to see like any real major success until three plus years in. And I think it's just important to give yourself grace and time when it comes to anything that you want to do. I know we're all so impatient. We want something tomorrow. If we order it online, we want it tomorrow. Thanks to Amazon, we've become so like.
Speaker 2: I don't know, needy, like I want it now.
Speaker 1: But if you want something bad enough, whether it's a career or a business or social media success or anything, you've got to remember you've got to be in it for the long haul, because nothing good will happen overnight. I mean it can if you're really fucking lucky and something goes viral, I don't know, but then it's probably not going to be sustainable.
Speaker 2: But just remember, all good things take time.
Speaker 1: I obviously can't run through my entire keynote speech in a podcast because you need the visuals, you need the slides. If you do, go back and listen to episode one of Big Business that's kind of the same theme. But to put the keynote speech in a nutshell, it's me telling my story from the very beginning. I even go back and talk about all the jobs that I had back in the day, which I think is in episode one of Big Business from memory, it was like a while ago.
Speaker 2: Have we been doing big Business for a year?
Speaker 4: Yet it will be a year next month, I believe. Yeah, Oh we're gonna.
Speaker 2: Have to get a cake. Yeah, we have to get a cake and do a fun little.
Speaker 4: Post happy first birthday ass.
Speaker 1: But the keynote is the story of how I did absolutely everything, and I'd love to, Like it's got me thinking, like I'd love to just take this keynote and like turn it into an event of my own and like travel around and kind of turn it into some sort of event where it's not just like me telling my story, but like do my own kind of inspirational slash business slash content slash Women Slash Powerful event. I feel like that'd be a dream of mine. But it's just me sharing my story, and I think the overall consensus of it is that it's inspiring and you can do anything if you just start and just do that first thing that you're scared of doing. That was a whole theme of my chat, and the feedback that I got was just everyone saying that they were feeling so inspired. And I had this one woman come up to me afterwards. She said that she was nearly fifty and that she like she was quite stylish, and she said, I've been wanting to, you know, create like fashion content for someone you know, my age and my size, because I just don't feel like there's enough representation on social media. And she said that she's been you know, creating videos but then like not posting them and just hanging on to them because she's just worried that you know, they'll flop or she's worried what people will say, and she's like, but after like hearing your talk today, like I'm going to start, I'm just going to start posting. And when it comes to content creation, especially if you're starting out, I think a lot of people's fears are around the numbers. You know, I don't want to post because I'm scared it or flop. And I say in my talk, who cares if it flops? No one saw it anyway? Who cares if it flops? No one saw it anyway, you know, And no one's fixating on the number of views more than you.
Speaker 2: And if someone is, like, if someone that you know is looking at.
Speaker 1: Your account, be like that only got one hundred and fifty views, then what the fuck are they doing with their life?
Speaker 2: Like, what are they doing? How much spare time are they? God, if they're.
Speaker 1: Worrying about that, But trust me, you're the one that's worrying the most.
Speaker 2: And again, we all started there.
Speaker 1: I started making those YouTube videos in high school and my videos were getting one hundred views and it was just the kids in my school making fun of me. But I didn't worry about that. Yeah, I was a little bit scared, but I just did it anyway. And look at all the shit that I've done because I just started posting those videos even though they were crap, they were embarrassing, they were cringe. Another thing that I said in the talk, it's cringe until it's not cringe anymore. It's cringe until it starts working. We all started out cringe. I'm still cringe today actually, like And another thing that I loved was Jimmy Reese also did a talk before me, and if you don't know who he is, you've probably seen his viral videos on TikTok and Instagram, but also for ten years he was the host on Giggle and Hoot on ABC, which is a kid's show where he talked to.
Speaker 2: The puppet on the set kind of thing.
Speaker 1: And his talk was really fun and engaging, and he's a comedian as well, so it was making me go, fuck, I'm gonna have to get up there and be funny because he was before me and had everyone cracking up. But he just said, you know, don't be afraid to be an idiot, and I completely agre with that. I've always been an idiot on the internet. And again, you could be worried, like, oh, if you're being silly on the internet, who's gonna judge me?
Speaker 2: What are they going to say?
Speaker 1: But just be an idiot, have fun, and even if you're scared, post the thing anyway or do the thing. This doesn't just apply to content creation. That was the whole theme of the talk. I absolutely loved it. And in the lead up, you know, I was experiencing a little bit of nerves, like you know when you kind of commit to something and then you're like, oh my god, why did I do this? And then you start, you know, questioning whether you are capable of doing it. But I just did it, even if I was a little bit scared. And then you step off the stage and you're like, holy shit, I did it, and I actually loved that. So stay tuned. Honestly, I'd love to do more of this public speaking thing and kind of turn it into a big event. I mean, this is just an idea that's in my head right now. So don't get too excited. Shout out to FUJIFILM. Don't think they'd be listening. But it was a great event and it was very inspiring, and it was so fun that it was at Luna Park, of all places.
Speaker 2: Have you been lately, Xander?
Speaker 4: I have a fun fact.
Speaker 3: So when I was twenty eight years old, Yeah, so Lunar Park used to be shut down. Yeah, so for a few years it was shut down for I don't remember why, but we knew the guy that operated it or owned it or something like that. Anyway, they opened up Luna Park for me and five friends on my eighth birthday and we had the whole park wow for.
Speaker 4: My eighth birthday. Isn't that crazy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's nut. What a good memory.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: I feel like they need to do more. I'm sure they do, but like it's a really cool place.
Speaker 1: And so the talk that I did was in like the big top tent kind of thing and apparently they've recently done that up in the last couple of years. Like it was amazing the venue. We might have to do an event there.
Speaker 4: Big business at Luna Park. Yeah, yeah, live recording.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, thank you so much to any of you listening that did come along on the day. There was a thousand seats and it was full both days, so that was super cool. And and he instead of being scared and doing things anyway, And as always, I'm going to.
Speaker 2: Leave you with a Tip of the week.
Speaker 1: I feel like we honestly need to change this stand up because I give that many tips the whole episode, Like what's the point of having a tip at the end?
Speaker 3: I love Tip of the week so much.
Speaker 1: Let me think, let me think, Okay, I've got a tip of the week for you, which has got nothing to do with anything I've been talking about. But if you make content, you're gonna love this. Because I only just learned about it. The editing app cap cut, which I'm sure a lot of you use. I love inshot better, but cap cut does have a lot more features. Cap cut has this feature called transcribe or transcript.
Speaker 2: I don't know what one it is. It's one of those.
Speaker 1: And essentially, just say you make a video of yourself and you're sitting there talking for ten minutes, or maybe you're like doing a try on hole or whatever for ten minutes, and there's like, you've got ten minutes a footage that you need to cut down into three minutes. You can put that whole video into cap cut, the ten minute thing, and then you hit the transcribe button. I'm pretty sure it's transcribe, and then it will edit it for you. It will then take that ten minute video. It will cut out all the like the moments where you're not saying anything.
Speaker 2: It will cut out you saying. It will cut out you saying.
Speaker 1: Like if you like say hey everyone welcome, Oh wait, hey everyone, welcome. It will take out the first one because it knows that you repeated yourself to sound better the second time. So then it will take like a ten minute video and chop it down way shorter, and you will save so much time editing.
Speaker 4: Oh cut should sponsor the parodophy.
Speaker 2: Should So that's my tip of the week.
Speaker 1: If you do content creation where you need to edit your footage, use that transcribe feature.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure that's.
Speaker 1: What it's called. I don't think it's transcript anyway. That's my tip of the week, and a very useful one at that. Oh and remember to chase after your dreams as if they are you money.