Speaker 1: The Experts with Jason Lauren.
Speaker 2: You're specialists who specialized in very special things.
Speaker 3: This week we have Andrew who specializes in dishwashers.
Speaker 1: Let's hear from the expert.
Speaker 2: Andrew Lachlan.
Speaker 3: Good morning, good morning, well, good evening. If in the UK we're upside down.
Speaker 4: Andrew, how do you become a certified dishwasher expert?
Speaker 5: Well, it's not not exactly something that you just fall into necessarily. But I've worked for WHICH, which is the UK consumer organization, for well over ten years, so I'm working product testing.
Speaker 1: I've tested everything from a print to.
Speaker 5: A TV to all sorts of stuff, but one of my things is dishwashers. I test around sixty five a year running project that does that, so you see the worst and the best.
Speaker 2: Questions, questions.
Speaker 3: I've put the draws in my house. The dishwasher in Bachelor do they clean as well as the old pulls down traditional dishwasher.
Speaker 5: You're doing like a compact dishwasher, so it's a smaller one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know me in Bachelor Pets, Yeah, I've got it in the kitchen.
Speaker 5: Unfortunately, they don't. They don't very very rarely do well in our tests. They are not if your compromise for space. They do have a place, but you are taking a bit of a hit on quality.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's not actually so excited.
Speaker 4: It's not actually for space. She just thought she was ahead of the curve. You thought it was the way to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can.
Speaker 3: You can go and knock on the drawer and open it. If you've forgotten to put something in, you put it into the drawer where all the water comes out.
Speaker 2: Okay, here's the big one. Here's the big one, Andrew.
Speaker 4: Do you need to rinse your plates and get everything off them before you.
Speaker 2: Put them in a dishwasher?
Speaker 1: No? Absolutely, categorically no.
Speaker 5: And the reason why is because the dishwasher is set up to clean your blades. If you do basically the job of cleaning it not only kind of wasting energy and water, but actually you're kind of messing with the dishwasher system. So the way a dishwasher works, typically most people pick the auto program. The way that works is it doesn't look at what you've stacked. It looks at how cloudy and dirty the water is.
Speaker 1: It's got a sensor inside.
Speaker 5: It's called a stability sensor, and basically it looks how cloudy the water is so if you're basically putting clean water through, it doesn't really know what it's supposed to do. And also it kind of needs you to put your normal load. How you would put dirty dishes in?
Speaker 3: How dirty though? Like can you lay food scraps on the plate?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Like and the battered chicken still have rice on it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean a bit of rice is fine. I think any like real big chunks of food scraping off into the bin or the compost if you fond of the gun. But anything that is just like a bit of a smear on a plate, don't worry about it. It's it's set up to clean it and if your dishwash is good, it'll deal with it.
Speaker 1: No rinsing.
Speaker 2: I love this segment.
Speaker 4: What I love this is the stuff you would not.
Speaker 3: No okay question wine glasses Are they safe in the dishwasher? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Absolutely, I mean like you probably anything that's like crystal or like really nice. That's where a pick a delicate cycle which used around forty degrees, right, they should be fine. I mean, like the rule of thumb is, if you drink out of it, put it on the top rag. If you eat out of put it on the bottom.
Speaker 2: You know, I did not know that rule, but yeah, it's not commonly known. In my group of.
Speaker 3: Friend draws is only one level. But you can flip these little things down on the side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we've all got the flip. We've all got the flip.
Speaker 4: You know what I only realized the other day, Andrew, You'll be You'll be just like, oh boy, you haven't lived.
Speaker 3: The level of the top shelf.
Speaker 4: I didn't realize you could lower the level of the top shelf.
Speaker 3: For long stems to get like like a long stem wine glass in.
Speaker 5: Or or if you want to put some stuff below that's high you don't want to block the sprays, you can move up. Blow.
Speaker 3: I've got another question. I mean, if there, if I was going to the Olympics for something, it would be stacking the dishwasher in the cutlery like the knives are together, the spoons together.
Speaker 4: Just quickly knives up, ard knives down, doesn't matter, depends, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 5: But I would usually say put any sharp knives down in case because you could scrap.
Speaker 3: Now. I'm sure you're going to give me the textbook correct answer here, But for us me immortals, how often do we need to run the dishwasher cycle on the dishwasher, Like.
Speaker 2: You know, you clean the n get that and you get a little get.
Speaker 3: That orange orange upside down?
Speaker 2: Are you the cleaning bottle?
Speaker 3: Do you need to clean the dishwasher now?
Speaker 5: I would say probably once every twenty to twenty five cycles.
Speaker 1: You probably want to run a machine machine cycle.
Speaker 3: Wash O, we're filthy, p we are twenty cycles? Like you've got four?
Speaker 2: Key? How many kids?
Speaker 3: You got three?
Speaker 2: I think I think I think three plus, so you would.
Speaker 3: Do twenty cycles? You know what I mean? You should be doing it every week? Just about.
Speaker 1: How much using me?
Speaker 5: And it also depends as well, Like people always forget to get the spray arms out.
Speaker 1: Get them out every sort of month.
Speaker 2: Probably spray out all those things that go round. Actually take them out, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Take them out, and like because they get blocked with food, Like you'll block the jets and you want to take them out. Get a little like a match stick or something like that, or tooth pick, pick anything out and then run some water through them and then you'll find that they run better.
Speaker 3: And youre telling was no one's doing that? I have never in all of my years of popping into friends houses have I I've walked in on them doing the vacuuming. I've walked in on them doing the mopping. I've walked in on them changing the beds. I've never walked in and soon someone what did you call it?
Speaker 2: The squirter arms?
Speaker 1: Never clean the.
Speaker 5: Filter clean the spray arms on a periodic basis. We're on the machine cycle. You know, do it and you will find it does improve results.
Speaker 3: What's dishwasher do you have in your house?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what? I reckon? You have? I reckon?
Speaker 4: You have one of those ones I have in the industrial kitchens, you know, the big mill ones with the handles.
Speaker 2: They pulled the handles a couple of seconds.
Speaker 3: What have you got?
Speaker 5: Well, I don't actually have a great dealer space in my kitchen as well, so I have a slim I have a slim line dishwasher from a certain brand, which obviously couldn't endorse. But yeah, I only have a slim line dish washing because I don't have a great dealer space.
Speaker 2: But didn't want to go the drawers, did we?
Speaker 1: Unfortunately? Yeah, I'm not tempted to buy the drawers. I'm afraid. You know, we have tested them and.
Speaker 2: She was so proud when she got the dish rushing draws. I got great. No, I like them.
Speaker 3: I don't have to bend down. I saw someone who had installed their dishwasher like a meter off the ground so theyn't have to bend down to put the dishwash and then straws below it.
Speaker 2: It's not the silliest thing in the world.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 4: Andrew, we really appreciate you jumping on the show. I know it's early where you are, so thank you so much for your time. I love the experts segment. This has been awesome.
Speaker 3: Thanks Andrew, no problem.
Speaker 4: Thanks Jason Lauren, Jason Lauren wake up feeling Good on one hundreds.
Speaker 3: Lauren on Socials