Speaker 1: Lucky Lucky a Lucky Dip time. It's your lucky day because it's your Lucky Dip time.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 1: Hello, it is mal it is Monty. Thanks for joining our little bite size Lucky Dip episodes. I hope you're great whatever, you're bloody up to it at the moment. Now, I'm going to do the lucky Dip today and you're going to be proud of me again because I'm doing like a fat kind of one. And I know you love facts.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 2: I love a fact.
Speaker 1: Okay, So this is all around medical stuff. Okay, I look to the MARP because that website of that instagram that you told me to follow, Savage Paramedics. Stuff keeps popping up now and it's fascinating.
Speaker 2: But some of it too is like oh no, I'm like.
Speaker 1: Yes through anyway. This one has a picture of all teeth pulled out, and then it has a picture of someone's eye, and this is fascinating. It's called tooth in the eye surgery. It is a procedure in which surgeons implant a tooth into a blind person's eye to restore their vision. It was first developed in nineteen sixty or in the nineteen sixties and it still performed today and it actually works.
Speaker 2: Hell does that?
Speaker 1: I don't know a tooth because it's like something like it can they I think that they put the tooth into a part of the body and then it grows. It might be into your arm or your leg. They sew it in there and then it grows like meaty stuff around it. It's the only part of the body that does it. And then they insert it in your eye and somehow it can help you your vision.
Speaker 2: It's funny because like straight away I go to say, oh, but then, why can't they just cure blindness for everyone?
Speaker 1: It doesn't work for everyone.
Speaker 2: Well, this is the thing. I think it must be certain kinds of Oh, I totally would.
Speaker 1: Be a certain kind.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But I was like, oh my god, And who was the first person to go, let's rip out a tooth, Let's put it in their body so it generates whatever the eye needs to get its site back. I just am like, oh my god. And the people who were the first people to ever get these things? Can you imagine you've.
Speaker 2: Got nothing to lose? I guess, well that's the thing.
Speaker 1: You're just like, Okay, so I've got some other facts for you. So in the early nineteen hundreds, John Brinkley became one of the richest doctors in America despite having no medical qualifications. He claimed he could cure impotence, infertility, and other sexual problems by surgically implanting goats testicles into a man's scrotum.
Speaker 2: What yes, hang on, He obviously practiced this for a while, like to be so wealthy. Surely if people were having this done, they must have been seeing some sort of results for people to keep it.
Speaker 1: But I don't think there were. I don't think that. Like, it was extremely dangerous and many patients died. It says it has no scientific merit. And goats testicles, yeah, goats testes. Hey, John, you can't get your dick up anymore. We're going to get the testy surgery done on you.
Speaker 2: And back in those days.
Speaker 1: I know how's this one? This was in ancient Egypt. The contraception of choice was crocodile shit. Dried dung was inserted into the vagina, and the idea being that it would soften as it reached body temperature to form like an impenetratable barrier.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what that would have formed, a fucking mad utea.
Speaker 1: This so hard and other contraception like things that people would shove up there. You still include tree sap, lemon halves, cotton wool, see sponges, and elephant shit as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's contraception because you wouldn't want to go near it. It'd be like you're vagina stuff shit, literally.
Speaker 1: How long is that? But then you think like what they would were looking at back then, and like you can see the logic in tree sap going, let's shove that up there. Nothing's gonna like that.
Speaker 2: The sperm might get stuck in it. Yeah, that would be yeah, yeah that makes sense. I don't know about the shit.
Speaker 1: The shit's pretty hectic and so back in the day, like when people just didn't know anything, stuttering like people stutter, and what they would do is they would cut off half the tongue of the person who studed. Jesus, isn't that so full on? It wasn't done under general anesthetic either, It was just they just cut off their tongue.
Speaker 2: The barbaric shit that went down, oh my god, on there was not an aesthetic and stuff. But also when there was like no knowledge and no.
Speaker 1: Knowledge just going half the tongue that will work anyway, people just bled out and died. So that died out. Okay, I've got two more for you. Fuck Okay. So ancient Egyptians to ease toothache pain in some cases mashed up a mouse and blended it with other ingredients and then would apply it to the painful spot in the mouth to Chinese a toothache.
Speaker 2: But what do they think is happening?
Speaker 3: What is the mouse that is so fucking disgusting, isn't it? But also in fairness, like what did they have at their disposal?
Speaker 1: Nothing? That's when you go place ebo is is real because there's not that's not doing shit. And for them to go, well, this is gonna work and do it to multiple people and then people are probably, oh, my tooth doesn't hurt anymore.
Speaker 2: And again the bacteria, how many people would have died?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Also infection there and then you put a dead animals in there.
Speaker 1: I know, so hectic. Also in England for warts, they used to cut half a mouse and apply it to warts.
Speaker 2: What's with the mice? You know what? It was probably the most available thing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, would it would have been rampant because they also used it to treat hooping cough, MEAs or smallpox and bedwetting mice.
Speaker 2: Yes, imagine, after all these years, mice that everyone hates, everyone gets exterminators and stuff. They imagine mice with a key to curing shit.
Speaker 1: I know, well, because they use mice for scientific reasons. But what if what they're doing to the mice isn't what is going to cure shit, it's the mice themselves.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, we're on to Oh my god, how do we test it? Yeah, that's ethical, Dylin.
Speaker 3: Or isn't it?
Speaker 1: Isn't it? Well, there you go. There's my facts about medical stuff.
Speaker 2: So next time I see your mails, don't scream, don't it, blend it and even fix your to.
Speaker 1: Hey, thank you. We'll chat to you guys really soon. Five and our love you.