Speaker 1: High Scrollers is produced on gadigul Land.
Speaker 2: We pay our respects to the traditional custodians of this country and Elder's past and present.
Speaker 3: Always was, always will be Aboriginal Land.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Lizzo Irl High Scrollers Edition. This is close friends, Welcome everyone, Happy Friday. Or I know some people save these do they and listen on a Tuesday, which I think is fucking unhinged.
Speaker 1: We like both episodes at.
Speaker 2: Once, yeah, because then they get a super long high Scroller nice, But I mean it's good to listen in context. Maybe people don't listen to podcasts on Friday because Friday is like the end of the week. You know, who cares for anything on a Friday.
Speaker 1: So I have no idea because I'm bad. I do not listen to a single.
Speaker 2: Podcast neither, honestly.
Speaker 1: So it's an honor that people take the time to listen to mine.
Speaker 2: I'm someone who will listen to an episode.
Speaker 1: Of a podcast, like if something goods.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so if someone puts something out and there's like a viral clip of it, you know what I want to listen to. Actually is that new podcast episode And I can't remember what podcast it is, but it's the one Mark Jacobs is on No Jacob Sorry Steve Yea.
Speaker 3: For those of you that haven't seen it, Steve Madden has gone on a podcast and it's it's gone viral on TikTok.
Speaker 1: There's like the podcast has heaps of clips. I went and watched all of those.
Speaker 3: You'll watch that, like, I'll watch all the clips, but I won't go and listen to it. But basically, Steve Madden, shoe guy since forever, has gone on this podcast and basically like done the best pr for himself and his business that he could ever do in his whole career. And Steve Madden has been around since like ages ago, like forever ago or more nineties, I don't know, early two thousand, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Look, we'll have to look it up. But he in these few candid clips that have been posted to TikTok by the podcast host, she's just asking him, like, I did you see the one video where they're going through all the shoes that Steve Madden has duped? Yes, but like not completely duped, like done their own version on.
Speaker 2: Which I didn't realize that was Steve Madden's whole thing. I didn't realize that I think.
Speaker 3: He has like some of his original styles obviously, but now they like come out with other trendy shoes as well. And so she shows like Chanelle flats for example, and then she shows him his and he goes, yeah, there are shoes. They're inspired by the Chanelle flats, Like he just outwardly says it, but he's not like, yeah, we copy them. And then he even like commends the other brands, which I found to be really refreshing. Like there was one shoe and she said this is Mew Mew or something and he's like, I didn't know that because obviously he's not like in there designing the shoes, like they have whole teams for it. But he's like, meumu, what a great business. Yeah, Like he's just like complimenting these other businesses, and I just feel like it was really clever. But again, this goes into the whole dupe culture as well. Matt and like men versus women, because why is everyone praising Steve Madden for him just outwardly like saying that his shoes are inspired by other brands. But then everyone hated Shelley from MC beauty is it because of the way she delivered it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, from my understanding, she was not kind about it.
Speaker 1: She was like, I don't give a shit if I get them.
Speaker 3: But then it's like, do we accept dupe culture if the owner is nice about it?
Speaker 2: Well, I do think that, or is it because he's a guy the whole I think the whole thing is like it because this is what we're saying is you are the face of your brand is who you are, and the face of m CO Beauty to me is that Shelley woman who every time she's speaking is unhinged or being rude or not answering a question directly, being shady, not admitting because she doesn't actually, to my knowledge, come out and said she's not even part of the company anymore. I think she's sold out of it now, brought out of it or how have you whatever terminology that is. But what I'm saying is from my understanding, she would act like they weren't duping anyone, and no, it wasn't a copy. Do you know what I mean? Where Steve Madden.
Speaker 3: He's like, yeah, that's inspired by he'sruthful.
Speaker 2: He's been truthful, and I didn't see that truthfulness when I would.
Speaker 1: Watch about the delivery.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, I reckon. I mean maybe it's got a deeper issue of men versus women.
Speaker 3: I think it does because then I think about myself. And let's say we come out with a new collection at Fate and I said, yeah, so this is inspired by Chanelle. Like, let's say we come out with like, you know, Chanelle has those like old school classic like little I don't fucking know how to describe actually scratch actually yeah, you know, those little sets and the.
Speaker 2: Cutesy pastel clueless five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if we come out with a collection like that, and if I just so candidly said on a podcast clip like him, yeah, this is our new collection and the interviewer goes, who, like, here's the original, and I went, yeah, so that's Chanel and that's ours and it's inspired by it.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I would get the praise that Steve Madden is getting.
Speaker 2: We should fake that. We should fake that and.
Speaker 1: Do a campaign to a social experiment or a.
Speaker 2: Social experiment and see whether you would get get praise and you just make it up.
Speaker 1: We should plan it and do it for April Fools next year, a long way away.
Speaker 3: But if I'm actually going to make an item and see if I get the praise.
Speaker 2: Even just the social clip going up, and just see how the comments react to you saying you're ripping off Chanell.
Speaker 3: But if I say it in a nice way, I say, I love Chanelle. I'm so inspired by them, and that's why we've come out with this collection that's inspired by Chanell. I wonder if as a woman, I would get the same praise, because I also, like this topic is so relevant to me, Matt because just a shameless plug to my other podcast, Big Business, I did an episode recently on being a woman in essentially a man's world, and also just being a woman in like leadership management, like just any women that are in like leadership positions and all of the challenges that women face not being taken as seriously. And so this is just like got me thinking, like talking about Steve Matten, like I loved his those clips as well, and that's a podcast that I would go and listen to.
Speaker 1: But I wonder if it was a.
Speaker 3: Woman, if it would be any different because everyone's like, yeah, Steve, he's for the girls.
Speaker 2: I do have. I do notice with my female friends a trend of not for lack of a better term having the balls to do things in the workplace that I think about that I think I could do with absolutely no consequence. Like a lot of my friends who are women will say like or they wish they could have a pay rise, or they wish they could have a new positional or potentially most of the time, what the conversations I'm having is they've been hired for one job. They're doing a hundred other jobs, but their title and their pay doesn't reflect that. And I say, then say something like, why not go in and say this is what I'm doing. I'd like that to be reflected.
Speaker 1: Now were they asking are they asking women or men?
Speaker 2: Well, that's it, and they go, you can't do that. You can't do In my mind, if I'm doing a job and not getting paid for it, you better pay me my jues. There's no doubt that I would walk into whoever's office and go, I either need to be paid correctly or I'm not doing these jobs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And as a business owner and boss, I would expect my staff to do the same to me, Like if they're doing ten people's jobs but only got the title of one and getting paid for one, they have every right to come to me and say, hey, here's all the extra work that I'm doing.
Speaker 1: Can we look at like a title change and a pay change.
Speaker 2: But there's a resistance there is from them, and I'm trying to say, just go in there and do it. But I've noticed that they hold that I don't know, that wouldn't work. That wouldn't work. You don't know whether you go in and you try and if it doesn't work, then you know it doesn't work. But I obviously I have no lived experience as a woman, so I don't know what it's like. But it's just a pattern that I've noticed throughout my friends and family members as well.
Speaker 3: Take it from us, gals, you deserve to be able to speak in your workplace. And yeah, it's a very interesting topic. Like even from my perspective, I've dealt some with some really challenging times over the years when it comes to staff, and a lot of the time when I've dealt with situations and it's all like we've resolved it or it's come to an end or whatever, I've had so many moments of reflection afterwards, like thinking about like everything that was said, and you know, thinking if things like personally have been said towards me or about me. I've often thought, I wonder if I was a guy, if those things would.
Speaker 2: Have been said, because people, she's a bitch, yes, and so such a bitch. But like if it was a guy, they go, aj is.
Speaker 1: A bitch, like if do you know what I mean? Like, but you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Like, I've just been having all these thoughts lately, especially after doing that episode if you want to go and listen to it, But you know, when you do have like a female manager or whatever, like it's sadly like ingrained in society that women are bitches, like if they're in like think of your manager at Macazol whatever, Like it's just, yeah, she's such a bitch. But like if that manager was a man, would you go, yeah, he's such a bitch.
Speaker 1: No, you wouldn't. You'd just be like, that's my manager and he's just doing his job.
Speaker 3: Or if you got feedback off your manager if you'd fucked up or something.
Speaker 1: Let's say you sent out the wrong fucking.
Speaker 3: Burgher to the wrong car or whatever, and your manager called you up on it. If it was a female, oh what a bitch for calling me out. But if it was a guy. Let's say it was Aj. They wouldn't go, oh, AJ's such a bitch. We're telling me that I stuffed up that order. Instead they just go yep, okay, because it's a guy. And like, sadly, I think this is like ingrained into society that like it's our automatic response without even realizing that, Like we always look at females in power and then being assertive as like a negative bad thing and that they're being a bitch.
Speaker 1: But when it's men, we never really think that.
Speaker 2: That's why I love walking into a room, especially full of men and saying hi girls, how are we? Or hi dahs? Because you know, it's like when we say hey guys, And I think about that and I think, you know, if you walk into a room full of girls and you say, hey guys, no I'm back's an eyelid. But imagine walking into a room full of men, say hey girls, everyone in that room is going to have a problem with it, right, And so I love that. I love shifting that balance and that power, especially when there's more men in the room and you're going in a hag girls high girls, how are going?
Speaker 1: They feel a certain way about that.
Speaker 3: Another realization that I've had since doing that episode recently. That's so funny that we're just randomly talking about this now because this has literally been on my mind. Another like personal realization that I've had, and I actually had it. I went on Two Broke Chicks last week and I had a moment of realization when I was talking to them.
Speaker 1: I've always known that.
Speaker 3: One of the reasons why I'm such a go getter and like just take risks and whatever is because like I never had my mum and dad around to tell me, you know, you should do well in school, or you should try and go to UNI, or you should get a job like or a career or whatever. Because I was like so independent from when I was a teenager. I think that's where my drive has come from, which I'm so thankful for, because I could have went the other way and said, no one's ever told me what to do, so I'm going to go into a little hole. But instead, the reason why I'm such a go getter and why I'm always doing so much and why I believe in myself is because no one ever has which I've always known that, right, but I realized that because in my job, like what a lot of people wouldn't know is like I actually do deal with a lot of men, even though fate is predominantly female. Like a lot of our outside relationships a men, like the real estate agents for our nine fucking commercial leases that we have, our bin guys, our truck drivers, like everyone is basically a man.
Speaker 1: We deal with a lot of men in our business. And so I did the whole episode talking about like little interactions that I've had with men over the years where they haven't taken me seriously, like when I've been going to view a Westfield store and they look at me like who the fuck are you, or they've been like, yeah, good luck with that and made little comments like that. But I made the realization that I don't give a fuck what men say, and I never have because my dad walked out when I was fourteen. And I only had that realization last week when I was on the Two Broke Cheeks podcast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I was like, holy fuck, Like I've always known that I've got my drive from my parents not guiding me. But then I also realized, like I've never cared what men say in my career when real estate agents have gone on, So what do you do you sell clothes?
Speaker 1: Do y'all?
Speaker 3: I've never cared, whereas I know a lot of other women would really care and take that to heart and get upset by it. Because my dad walked out of my life when I was fourteen, and I just.
Speaker 2: Had that like speak epiphany.
Speaker 1: I'm like, holy shit.
Speaker 2: I think therapy would change your life.
Speaker 1: I think I'm fine.
Speaker 2: Honestly, but I think that therapy.
Speaker 1: Has it can be like liberating.
Speaker 2: It has like a negative connotation that like you need to go only if you it just would help you discover and learn those sorts of things.
Speaker 3: Because I've literally realized in the middle of the episode. I'm sure it's left here the episodes out.
Speaker 2: Broke that only just you know empowers you more because now you know more about yourself.
Speaker 3: Like I think, yeah, but how do you even find a therapist honestly?
Speaker 1: Like do you have to go?
Speaker 2: Who has the time?
Speaker 3: You go to a doctor and then they refer you to someone, or can you like find a therapist and contact them?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't do therapy.
Speaker 1: Are you telling me to go to therapy?
Speaker 2: Anyway?
Speaker 3: Just a realization that I had my dad walking out has been more powerful than I even knew.
Speaker 2: Because your dad walking out was the best thing that ever happened to you. Love, because like, imagine what that has done for you, Like, you wouldn't be here today, No, like I always if you had a supportive father, sorry, you would have been supported father.
Speaker 1: Maybe I would have went to union. I've been a completely different career.
Speaker 3: Maybe I wouldn't be with AJ Like is it like the butterfly effect that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I would be not doing this podcast with you. Probably I might have never started YouTube.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you might not have even had to be working at the makeup shop when we met. Yeah, because you wouldn't.
Speaker 1: I would have been UNI at that or I would have been finishing year twelve or.
Speaker 2: Just staying at home, living at home with the parents, not even having a job. You know that nice? Who knows that would to be? No, you know there was so I think back to high school and the people who like their parents were like, no, you're not having a job, will support you because we want you to do well in school.
Speaker 1: Oh that would be nice.
Speaker 3: Extremely thankful that I was forced to be independent because obviously I owe all of my success to that.
Speaker 1: But if I could just redo it again now for a little bit. I would fucking stay at home until I'm thirty. Yeah, but I never had that opportunity.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I see like some people showing up on my TikTok and they're like creating content about like being in their thirties or like late twenties and moving back home to like save money so they can eventually get their own place. And I know that's like shunned on in society or like you feel like you're taking a step backwards.
Speaker 1: But I'm all for it. If I had a family, I would love to hang out with them at their home and like live there and have dinner together. It would be nice.
Speaker 2: Ten years ago, it was all right because you could go back home and actually save the money. I actually think moving back home these days, are you even saving that much money? Because your parents are struggling too, you know what I mean? Like ten years ago, you new home because mom and dad have got it all.
Speaker 1: Get the grocery.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I could just eat them out of house and home and you know, sort my life out, get my life back on track, and turn it around. Now I'm like, you got to move home and pay two fifty a week board love just to keep the lights on you know. Hmm, So I don't know. I moving back in with the parents. I mean, obviously to help a little bit, but I don't know if it's all that's cracked up to be like it used to be, you know, because it used to be such a dramatic turn, whereas now these days, I think the parents are probably like, yeah, moving, you can help us pay the bills. Bloody hell, Well what a chat? What a chat? Love? Anything else to say, We'll see you next Tuesday.