Speaker 1: The Brisbane Lions, case of the mid season blues and untimely injury to boots our significance are the concerns for the reigning premier.
Speaker 2: The prodigal Sun returns to Wittenoble. Jamara Hugor Hagen Frontsi's teammates, says he looks to resume his footy career.
Speaker 1: And two of the great minds in coaching, having vastly differing seasons, Chris Scott and Ross lyin together at the desk.
Speaker 2: We've talked about his step into it, embrace all.
Speaker 1: Of it in the room and reason it's unedifying for a senior coach to do that. They're on the side of Courtia with the brain tape, the man on they played the best footy I've ever seen at the start of the season, and in said president left the couple older said, of.
Speaker 2: Course they do. Is the stuff that legends are made of. What is holding the ball?
Speaker 3: I don't think I could answer it clearly right now that I can do something.
Speaker 2: Wrong, you know, and I need to gain and the board sectually.
Speaker 4: The fans lover and with no fans, no through sixty year old.
Speaker 1: All the angles of round fourteen gazz these by rounds are O good.
Speaker 2: Yes, Jared, let's put this on the agenda or off the top King's Birthday game. Bang, that's it all, have a buy the following round. Your suggestion is trade window. Trade window opens, we go away, We let the trade nerds come in and they go do their stuff. We come back. Everyone's happy. A few new players have got to go, and away we go. That's it.
Speaker 1: Short of five weeks of buys is just too many.
Speaker 2: And when you've got teams that are struggling a bit, if you have a couple of games are a bit, ordering makes for an ordinary round. So let's just for sure.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love it all right, here's what we've got lined up for you as we delve to the agenda. Ross Line and Chris Scott together at the desk is always great viewing for us. Let alone at home, then we hand over on the couch. Jack Revolts guides you through the how and the why of Round fourteen with Jordy Brownie and Bucks. Tomorrow Night our Players, Jesse Hogan joins players.
Speaker 2: Nights that Power Forward.
Speaker 1: Welcome Patrick Crips, Ray Chaman. We're given him a special project and some real overreaction and then Wednesday, Patrick Gainerfield ahead of game number three hundred and fifty and our coaches Simo and Horse, plus we'll have the teams for Frio and Essendon. Our mondays start with the awarding of the GVP's the most valuable players from the rounds. Any estimation of just one man, I will let him go for a little bit longer and then pressure that we might even go.
Speaker 2: You know, gas are about to put them up look away now.
Speaker 1: It's the most sought after prize in footy. We've had the privilege of being behind the wheel of the Ford Mustang GT Fastback, valued at ninety three thousand dollars, iconic design, unreal performance, five lead V eight engine. She goes well around.
Speaker 2: That Albert Park. Sure call those that are in contention, which are really still every player just lead a good hot streak that tickles my fancy. They're looking at me a bit differently. These players look with a bit of a wanting eye. One Bailey Smith could have gone. Max Ames went with Bailey Smith, thought he's outstanding. On the weekend. We'll talk to Chris Gott about it. But being at the MCG to watch this bloke and his ability to cover ground was a sight to behold Jared and then Max. He probably started to touch better than Max. Max finished a touch better than him, but to see the two of them go was just modern day footy like you've not seen too often in terms of hard running. So he's his bull use is touch maligned. But I thought he had some really good moments from that point of view. So forty one touches puts him in the one vote slot when you go for these votes.
Speaker 1: Because my awards anywhere you like.
Speaker 2: Mitch Georgia already separated that game yesterday. So if he's on Melbourne's team, Melbourne probably win. He's on put Adelaide's team, he wins. I thought he was fantastic playing against you know, the may Leave a combination which is a premiership winning defense, and she had a lot of footy. He took ten kicked seven goals for Jared. He may have even bigger bag had he kicked the straighter. So he's got good connection, which she couldn't say the same for the mob that playing against. And he's had a big night. Yeah it was.
Speaker 1: It was a big night out for him. Probably threatened it for a while. I wonder what it might grow into He's a.
Speaker 2: Talented player's no question about that. And you talk about talents. So Jesse Hogan again the opposition comes into it for me, it does. He got nine earlier in the year. I didn't give him any votes because it was the West Coast Eagles, but six against the running premier up at the Gabba with a pretty impressive running mate alongside him and Aaron Cadman who he spoke to Adam Kingsley Glass were a couple of weeks ago and said, yep, he said he's coming, Adam Cadman, and he did. But Jesse six goals, twelve marks. He kicked two on the first, he kicked one on the second, and then when the game needed to be there and they need to close the gap, he booted three in the third quarter. So's he's having an unbelievable couple of years, Jesse Hogan. And he gets the three and it.
Speaker 1: Had a couple of quiet weds, so I reckon he took them personally and just came roaring back the form.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what with him and Cadman alongside him. Then that's exciting.
Speaker 1: All of a sudden, he's moved to second Jesse Hagen Toby, there's too much pressure, Patrick Dade. If it is our leader on nine votes, all right, let's get into the agenda. Jamara ugil Haagen made his way back to witten Oval today for the first time since he took personal leave in April. He's been through a period of private rehabilitation and then the fitness campaign that he's made public. Last week, he behind the scenes met with the key figures at the Western Bulldogs to clear the way for today, and then a big step he fronted the full meeting of players and staff. He was contrite and apologetic around some of his behavior in the past, and he committed himself to resuming his football career. I feel like all the way through, Gaz, you've had the most compassionate view on this. Don't give up and don't give up on him. Of that played out before us today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this is a good football club right now. I'm making a lot of good decisions, Jared. And the thing about this is that he comes back on the Western Bulldog's terms. That's the most important thing about all of this. You want to play. You come back to what he has had to come back to them, and you come back on our terms and now we'll see what it looks like from here. It's a long shot, and that would be what they're selling to him. You've got ground to make up. But I just love the fact that he's back there. I love a redemption story Jared. You know, and clearly he's been not at the professional level. But I'll tell you what. I can go through history. I can go back through history in a time where players used to get away with stuff and he can't, and that's not such a bad thing. And it's all being played out in public and we know where he's at, and you know, everyone gets a pretty good road on some of his issues. So now, if you want to play footag you come back on our terms and you put one foot wrong, then you probably won't. But if you want to come back and you put your head down, you work your backside. When you win some trust and respect back, you know, six weeks time, four weeks time, you get a run the VFL, and that gives you six six weeks. And I'll tell you what, Jared. If he has a great six weeks in the VFL learning into a final series, you Behagen, Darcy and Norton, good luck, for the opposition. That's a big, big if.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So that's the long shot, a four to six week block to get himself foot already, yep. And then if he survives all of that into the VFL program, it plays out on two fronts. One there is that he remains a Western Bulldogs contracted player next year. This is not the final year of his contract, so it's in both of their interests if he's committed to giving himself a chance is to go about that. And the other motivation for the Bulldogs is if he is going to request to trade at some point, is that there's too much scarring, too much, this happened over a long period of time. They don't want him to be a distressed asset that ends up being free to a good home. They want him to be a commodity that they'll be able to get something for if that is his desire long term. So they both have a key stake in this. And we'd be guessing if we forecast where it was going to end up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he may in the again guessing. So one of these two things will happen, is he'll get his sack together and stay at the Western Wodogs and hopefully have a really long and celebrated career, or in his own mind, he's going, well, I've got to get back and I've got to work hard and then get the other scenario on the table, which is where else can I go? And there'd be much more inclined to make a play for him if he can prove to him, himself and others for the next ten weeks that he can commit to footy. But as I said, there were a lot of people talking down there'll be a lot of those out there in the media just screaming from this go this is a great redemption story potentially in the making.
Speaker 1: Give yourself a chance, all right. So the on field from the weekend, the Brisbane Lions have struck a note of concern, having won two of their past six games. The last two have had a few familiar threads to it, and then Saturday added in the note of untimely injury.
Speaker 3: Pretty well, given the fact that it was a shortened pre season, we had a lot of surgeries and things like that. I'm sort of a little bit surprised or actually where we are at the moment.
Speaker 4: Working on stineyes gains on the mountain top.
Speaker 3: I mean I don't really know what our best foot is at this point in time. I mean, we were all probably judging us on how we played in the Grand Final last year, which was about as good as it gets.
Speaker 2: Not only behind, but the out of the falls.
Speaker 1: Bailey simply muss again. He fails the task.
Speaker 2: Private Claire and miss oh no and missed. They spooked them. They lost their heads and gave you no chance. They've lost their heads a lot of rezure twelve minutes from the Raining Champs.
Speaker 3: In terms of the last quarter ten shots to five. Yeah, more shots. We loose again, So that was a game we should have won in my view.
Speaker 2: Well, they'll be getting nervous now.
Speaker 4: Thinking sure we're not again.
Speaker 2: I just took off.
Speaker 4: It's time to be definitive about anything in footy at the moment.
Speaker 1: Good crowd, hush, you give him solemn to drifts.
Speaker 3: Wow, big minded, big moment.
Speaker 2: When you look at that scoreboard today, Lawns just haven't been able to take your chances.
Speaker 4: Their pressure was their second last for ten years.
Speaker 2: They laid twenty eight tackles. Only one team has laid few of the tackles than that in the last ten years. Once he hate tackles for a game.
Speaker 4: I think Chris Fagan will be thinking where did this come from?
Speaker 3: I mean, oh, lost us this year? The lost last week, more shots lost this week, more shots. We've lost four games, two of them we had more shots. It's bloody frustrating. But that's that's flyfe that's footy. That's just a problem.
Speaker 2: We got to work our way through.
Speaker 1: Of the past twenty four points, they have left fourteen on the table. It will be irritating. But how concerning is it's Friday night they are down the highway against Geelong. It actually might be precisely what they need. As you launch in gas, can I just the expected scores? So this is where just your systems check and so what has the inaccuracy cost them? On expected score they would have beaten Adelaide by thirty one points in the Giants by twenty eight, So I just put that in as the caveat as we pick apart, they would have lost their two games against North and Melbourne. They won the two in the middle and they've coughed up the past two through inaccuracy. To what degree do you hold concerns for the raining champs?
Speaker 2: So that comes into the narrative that they're just okay, but they're slightly off, and then I hear the twenty eight tackles worries me jured. So then my mind goes to actually interesting Round fourteen. Last year, they're thirteenth on the ladder. Yep, they're thirteenth on the ladder, six wings in a draw and they go on to win the premiership. So round third and this year the third nine wins, four losses and a drawer. Which one would you rather be? Yes, you know, would you rather be the third on the ladder? You'd think you stupid? But the reality is that the round fourteen of last year, the thirteenth position team, we'll bind they're about to go like this with a bullet. And what we've got here is the round thirteen team who were in third spot on the ladder but not quite going as well as what they'd like. So no one, I don't think anyone suggesting that this is derm and gloom, but it is instructional from a reigning premier point of view. At about this time of the year, when it gets hard. And when I say it gets hard, twenty eight tackles to me in a game says, yeah, last year. I don't think that happens when you're chasing and desperate for the victory of sorry for premiership, you're doing everything. So the Swans were ten and one eleven, they got the fourteen and one of the Swan's then they lost in round sixteen seven nineteen twenty and twenty one just gets hard. Melbourne way back they were ten zip then they lost around eleven, twelve, thirteen, seven, eight, nine, eint twenty one. So it's I believe, not having ever won a premiership. So I'm surmising is that all the things that you do in the quest to win one you just got to be a touch off to you and if somebody goes, I'm not going to do the ice bath. I don't know this to be true. This is just my summation, and then you've got to gather yourself and as it gets closer, the smell of the finals comes and they go again. So I suspect that they're going to buckle in. And they've got a great man, that man right there between us who would know all of this, have these experiences at Hawthorne and his own experiences. Now that I would be backing them to get it right. But the bottom line is there's no Danaher and no Pain going into a new campaign. That makes it exponentially harder.
Speaker 1: I think, so how significant is the pain significant?
Speaker 2: Really significant? Because he allows the others to play in a certain way, He allows Harris Andrews to play in the way that Harris plays and lesser than is able to do what he does, and so I think it's a really big as soon as I was actually in the car drive in to the game when I heard that, and I think Bisbane line fans would be horrified to know that their lynch pin in the back half is out. And so Darcy Gardener is the obvious replacement, but he's not Jack Payne. So you think of some of the teams that they're going to confront in September, Collingwood, Big forwards at a mobile Geelong, three of them. You've got to pick maybe the Giants with Cabmin and Hogan. You need this boy.
Speaker 1: This is where some of his performs this season, and he's played with the sting if he wasn't part of it, so he's one of the driving forces for it, and he's having a stellar season up until this moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, those names there, which Darcy it's going to be another one you think will be in September. King's probably going to be in September, and now Harris has to go over. So Harris has to go and assume, so he can't be the drop off that he's been so good at doing in recent time. So no, this is going to be pretty heavily felt. There's no doubt about that. Those numbers I know exactly that.
Speaker 1: Look at those when it was all quantified, you go, yeah, we knew he was having a good season, but that's how good.
Speaker 2: So there'll be a.
Speaker 1: Slightly diminished version of what they were going to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they will be, and now things can change. And this Harris Andrews is an outstanding footballer. He can play. He can play like Jack Paying just hasn't had to. So he's gonna have to. Thirty nine on Monday's. Age's lost three of them against the players that we're talking about. Pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the one note thirty two shots from fifty five entries, having taken fifteen marks inside fifteenth, Like, you don't lose that game. And so that's two weeks ago. Fakes thought they should have eaten Adelaide. It was a bad question, and he was responding to that we've only heard the answer, but you just expect that that is the formula for victory.
Speaker 2: So they get there's a touch that's.
Speaker 1: Missing to their game, but it might only be a touch. So they played along that they traded places on the weekend, second and third, and we know at the end of things how important second and third the difference there is. That's the new from home final if that's the way that it pans out. So Geelong move up to second, the Lions fall to third, and they meet rather perfectly on Friday night. You're on hand for this, and it was against a weakened team like impartial VFL team. What most struck you about the Cats and how lasting an impression?
Speaker 2: Well, there might pick at the moment and we can all change in Wax and Wane, but they just have got it all for me, and I get excited by watching a team play the sort of footy that they played. And this is not being deprecating to the essame thing. We're decimated doing our match outs before the game. I'm looking at that gown. Po Olaverde is going to go to one of three, whether it's near, whether it's Dangerfield or whether it's Cameron who gets the other ones, and that's how it turned out. But the way they went inside and the way they use each other, and then the manic pressure that they're smaller Moodi and forwards they wear it is a badge of honor Jared. And in the end these hit ups here as in Melbourne sort of that they make you cry is because they're able to complete plays and and you know this, these are on the back of Ford half turnovers too, so this is the double edged sword. They work so hard to win the ball back, but then they don't give it away. They make something of it. And this is just this is this is beautiful craft. And there's it's a Bailey Smith kick the just chips in the hole. This guy here, I'm looking forward to speaking to Chris got about him. I think Shannon Neil may be the wild card going through to September because he's got everything. And then then that leisure Cameron who's who's winning the Coleman and another boake called Dangerfield is doing this sort of crazy stuff. When he gets going, mana goes nuts. You know. Closest I love close, I love Myers, I love, I love them all, and then then you go, okay, that's pretty exciting. What about Bailey Smith and Max Olmes through the middle of the ground in the middle with both called tom Akins, who sits in the middle and just grunts his way through a game doing all the stuff that we you know, we go look at Holmes, go and look at it Smith go, But then go back and look in the middle and it happens at laid the tackle. So I love all that. And in the back half Jack Henry goes back and they're coding back blitz. It's pretty exciting Charity, it's exciting. They're complete to your eye, and they don't want for anything. In my eyes, see on Friday night, I can't come quick.
Speaker 1: And the benchmark team going inside fifty the best I reckon, and then that spins to the team. It will be the long term worst, which is Melbourne.
Speaker 2: But I'm not going to spend much time on this because it's been there, it's been this way for a long time. But it is an absolute undeniable issue and it's got the two phases to it. I'm sure the couch Scoors will go. But I've done this ten times. You know, gone deep on A the kickers and then B what are you doing for to the ball? And if a Sava Radigalia just said, if you had walked into the Melbourne rooms and said, look, you wouldn't mind kicking it high in the air, would you? Because I'm not really good at ground level. I don't want to chase anyone a hard leave, but if you put it high in the air, Old Market. He took seven in the set marks in the first half. So don't think their forwards have got a lot of craft. They're just just arm in the air, run back towards goal sort of stuff. And we've been saying that for too long, so that's a knock. That's a knock on the on the coaching and the players to get this right because those numbers there have been there for a long time. And then conversely, take nothing away from Port Adelaide. They worked super hard and they had a system when they went forward and they completed the players that Melbourne couldn't. So it's a waste and you know they're destined for the bottom six for the next three years if they can't fix this, Jared, because you're you just you can't keep winning your inside fifty count time after time after time and not get reward for it. You'll stay in the bottom six unless you're fix it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so couldn't retain it and when they did, couldn't convert.
Speaker 2: It's it's not a good combination and it's not it's not something to laugh about. But in the end, is a Melbourne fan you do? All of melbourn fans have just throw their hands in the air and everyone all the review shows today are we saying the same damn thing. Can't fix it?
Speaker 1: It's an inescapable, truth to it. The other injuries not fully declared yet was the West Coast co captain Oscar Allen, which in the moment that had happened, had had that awful ping of an achilles to it and it was described as something else by the coach in the aftermath.
Speaker 4: When you see a player go down no contact off the ball like that, you think the worst. I think there's been a couple of cases of that this year. We're still going to work through the details exactly, but we're hopeful that it's not serious.
Speaker 1: There's a bit of mixed reports.
Speaker 2: Was it a car for a hammy?
Speaker 1: Are you sure?
Speaker 2: Which?
Speaker 4: No, I'm not exactly sure. It's not a car for a Hammy. I don't think it. I'm not exactly sure. It might be Planet Fashire, is that right, belly or Plantaris right, So that's what we think at the moment. But we'll still work through the details and get a report early in the weekend and let you guys know.
Speaker 1: The Plantaris doctor Google. It could only be a week or it could be his season, or somewhere in between. And that is the awkward part for West Coast as to what the player does and what the club does is the club needs him to go as a high prized asset so that they get the right pickers compensation, and that appears to be the way that it's going. And this would have put a sick feeling through a whole lot of West Coast people who are probably banking on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, look, I only assume it's no an Achilles because there was. An Achilles is no good. There's no reason why you wouldn't tell everyone it's an Achilles. So let's work on that basis that it's not, then it might be Plana Fascia or whatever else is the case. But it's a concern for sure. And as he's had a tough year Oscar Ellen, hasn't he in the position that he put himself in? And then he said some challenges and they rested him. And now you've got to deal with this as the captain of a club is really struggling. So and then the futures up in the air a little bit, and now what does impact? What impact does this have on those that are potentially looking at him as a as someone to fix their problems going forward? So now that throws up many more questions and answers. Or it there?
Speaker 1: Does it now that West Coast have had a look at what the worst case scenario could have looked like, does it add any weight to the argument that they all should call it quits now? West Coast protect their asset, also get his body right in play again in terms of knowing that he's not going to be there beyond this year.
Speaker 2: No, I don't want them to make that call yet. I don't think that would be the right thing to do. They have conversations with him, let's see what happens with the injury first. But my immediate reaction is the captain of the footy club's got to stand up and stand up and trying the group and say I'm going to rehab hard and try and get back or whatever the case may be.
Speaker 1: Let's bring into our coaches Chris Scott and Ross Line. It is a great pleasure when they are here together.
Speaker 2: At the desk.
Speaker 1: They are enduring different seasons. Things aren't quite coming together in the Saints for now, while the Cats are in the top two perennially in contention, Chris, the Rocks.
Speaker 2: So you've been Commyesar