Speaker 1: Apogae Production.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to you another episode of am I Mad Mom Podcast? The content that just keeps on giving children. I was talking to someone the other day and they had I think, like a twenty year old and an eighteen year old, and they were like, they need us more now and cost us more money than they did as kids. In my mind, I'm checking out at eighteen. I'm like, that's me done. I've already worked out what's the rest of the school fees going to be like for one more year and then that's all done.
Speaker 1: Ye No, apparently not.
Speaker 2: They say kids for even longer.
Speaker 3: I know, but I think it's because it comes from like our learnings come from exactly that you and I at eighteen, tapping out, See you later, Mum and dad.
Speaker 1: I'm out of here. I'm going to take on the world.
Speaker 3: I was moving cities, I was doing I was as fast as I possibly could to go and you know, just get out there and see what life's all about. And then nowadays, I think obviously it's different. They all want to stay as long as they can because it's cheaper and it's too expensive on the real world part, and you just.
Speaker 2: It's also really hard to get rentals now like it used to be super easy.
Speaker 1: Now it's hard to get rentals.
Speaker 2: It's more expensive, it's impossible to get on the property ladder, like where they.
Speaker 1: Going to be fucking living in our house? And the fish. I'm not even joking, absolutely not. Am I a bad mum for not knowing when to stop? This would be like a insight.
Speaker 3: We talk about it on here a lot, and I'm just trying to edge in on the fact that this is going to be all about.
Speaker 1: A four of my parenting.
Speaker 3: I get on this role in this spin of like my brain can't understand why you're not getting it, no matter how many times we've come up with this, and no matter how many times I'll say, there's same thing over and over again. And I sometimes get to the point where I'm so sarcastic or I'm so on a spin that I can't stop the spinning, so meaning like repetitive over and over, but you're not getting it, but you're not getting it, like and just fucking just stop, rach it is getting you nowhere. She's actually zoned out. She doesn't fucking give a shit at this stage. But it's just something in myself, especially solo parenting for you know.
Speaker 1: Ever, ever.
Speaker 3: That it's been a really big eye open few me and my parenting.
Speaker 1: That I've gone, oh, I really need.
Speaker 3: Some help with changing that, because I also know where it comes from in terms of like my own childhood, Like this is like deep like my own childhood, my own.
Speaker 1: Parents, their behaviors.
Speaker 3: Now I look at it and go, fuck, you are acting just like said person.
Speaker 1: And so this.
Speaker 3: Comes off the back of and I know that you're going to go, ah, yeah, I get it, But this comes off the back of week two and high school first day back into week two and oh, sorry, lost my lunchbox. Now not just the lunchbox, but then the cold packs that you've just bought recently because we're going into a new year containers and the containers that were in there, and then also the bag that it goes in because that's brand new.
Speaker 1: It's brand new school like school year, brand new.
Speaker 3: Two weeks in Katie, I was just like, but how And she looked at me like, because I just didn't have any room in my bag. No, but when you're left this morning, you had the same stuff in your bag and it fit. Then when I put it in there, it fit perfectly actually just sat.
Speaker 1: In there, right nut spot. She goes, well, you know it might be in Christie's car. You could check.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sure, how about I go and check to see where your fucking lunchbox is because you've lost it.
Speaker 2: Oh we've got a lost lunchbox too. Two weeks in to school. And I only noticed. I wasn't told that the lunchbox was missing. I only noticed because on the kitchen bench before they went to school that morning, Amelia as got my bottle bag that I take wine to people's houses in and I'm like, what are you taking that? For sure it's got my lunch in it. I was like, why because I had lost my lunchbox. Oh, so you lost your lunchbox. Now you're taking my stuff so you can then lose to school and you're not going to tell me about the lunchbox. And what about the containers. Containers drive me crazy. I don't know, containers gets all the freaking time.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, this particular lunch box when I like, it's like almost like a bento box.
Speaker 1: But you know, you go out of your way to.
Speaker 3: Be like a nice mom, and I got them for them, and they've lasted a year and we're now in the second year of having these, and they're good quality ones. They're not just a quick disposable one anyway. It's come home for a whole year from primary school. But we have one weekend to high school. Oh we could try Christy. It might be in her car, might have taken it out.
Speaker 2: But it's the like the zero fox given and like I was like, I don't ye, will just buy me?
Speaker 1: And I just like having a box of matches.
Speaker 3: I don't know if this is right, but it was like she's sitting there just like with the box matches, and she's flicking them and throwing them at I mean, like just to see how far the fucking fuel of the fire could run, like like that analogy.
Speaker 1: It's good.
Speaker 3: And then the fire I just kept burning bigger and bigger and bigger and bigger, and all of a sudden it's fucking bush fire. And that is me just yelling at her in this car, going.
Speaker 1: What the fuck is wrong with you?
Speaker 3: Why can't you just see that it fits when you left this.
Speaker 2: Morning fish, she can be bothered to move stuff around in there because they don't put stuff back in neatly.
Speaker 1: No, just like when they go for a sleepover.
Speaker 2: I would always and I don't do this now because they're old enough, but I would always fold everything nicely and it would fit in there neatly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just fucking screw up.
Speaker 3: Yeah no, So for me, like she always does her own bag, but like lunch bag at the moment, I have been really cautious of just going like, hey, I'm just letting you know that this laptop, she's not going to be replaced, and if it does get replaced, it's coming out of your account. And I'm just letting you know that this is not going to be a drill. I'm actually really, really really serious on this. Because cover on the laptop, so there's a cover then that goes inside the you know, like a laptop bag kind of thing, right, and now their school bag has even got a section at the back. Would she's a little bit more padded that sits flush on their back, but it just all you have to do is pull it open and your laptop fits straight in there. So then when I open the bag up, like it's not in that far, it's not even in the fucking case. It's just thrown in again, think about that analogy. Now she's got the whole box. Imagine just throwing that in. I just like, what is wrong with you?
Speaker 1: Like I was on a roll, Katie.
Speaker 3: And now going back to the whole point of this, I just needed to stop. I needed to stop going on about the same thing. I needed to stop reiterating myself. I needed to stop. I just needed to stop. I should just pull the car over and got out of the car and screamed like an actual psychopath, and then just got back in the car and just let it sink in as we drove home. Because then she says to me, it should be in Christie's car. So then I'm ringing Christy and I leave her a message that would have been so abrupt, not towards her, but just going let me know if Gracie's lunchbox is in there, and then no word back from Christy. Something probably not. Finally speak to Christy at about like eight o'clock last night. She's laughing her head off, which she said, it's not in the CARDA. I'm really sorry, she said, but you should try Translink tomorrow and they'll have a lost property. So you just have to ring Translink. They'll put you through to the lost property and then you have to drive to the depot to the lost property to.
Speaker 1: Pick it Katie on the bus.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because that's what Grace is how she rounded it off to me like it was like a look and if it's not with Christy, it could just be on the bus.
Speaker 1: That's what she said to me. Worst case scenario, Man, it's just on the bus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have had AirPods left on the bus. They're pretty good. I called them up. They found them, and Katie, it's my time.
Speaker 3: I don't have time to sit ringing Translink to go to Translink.
Speaker 1: To pick it up from their lost property.
Speaker 2: And the thing is that you want her to care enough to be putting in the effort to be doing that stuff, and she's not because she doesn't care because it's not her money.
Speaker 1: She didn't buy it.
Speaker 3: And that's what all she gave me all the way through it. So rounding back to what I needed to do, like I said, get out of the car screen, act like a psychopath, kick the wheel or something, and then get back in and just just stop, Rachel, just stop.
Speaker 2: Where were you when you got out of the current screen to tell me it.
Speaker 1: Was a popular place.
Speaker 3: Tell me everyone around I literally think about like literally blood boiling, and I just had to stop. I just had to Rachel repeating herself is not going to work. It's not going to change the situation. It's not going to bring the lunch box back. She's actually not giving a fuck about this at the moment, but she will later went. I just said to her, Okay, if we don't get it back, I said, just giving you a roundabout figure fifty for the lunchbox ice box would be like ten to twelve dollars. If I'm getting it from came out in the lunchbox that's inside of it would be another forty. I said, So that's one hundred out of your account, just letting you know, so I can replace it tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Just an if why, She's just like, you're taking out on my account.
Speaker 3: I said, well yeah, I said, that's how we learn responsibility. You keep banging on about just trust me, mam, I'm responsible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if it makes you feel any better. My girls also don't use their laptop cases, okay. And then they walk around over the tiles with a naked laptop and I'm like, God, all that takes for you to drop that on the floor, Yeah, and it's smashed.
Speaker 3: My thing with Graceie has been I've used your girls as an example.
Speaker 1: Sorry.
Speaker 3: Girls might have added a bit of GST on the story and said that they paid for their own laptops, but I was like, just it's not going to happen. Yeah, this is your time to really step up. You want to be in high school, you want to be treated like a high schooler, you want to do all of this. I said, I understand that it's a long day at school, but these are the small things that make up the big picture.
Speaker 2: Insurance is actually not helpful. I mean it's helpful, but it's actually not helpful when you try and teach them a lesson because both girls have had their laptops replaced over the years, and both were water damage. Liquid damage, that's the biggest problem. And then it would cost more to fix the laptop than just replace it. Both were covered under insurance, which is great but annoying at the same time because nothing they get a brand new laptop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, your excess at the end of the day is going up. They just go, it's all right, yeah.
Speaker 1: He's with that. Anyway.
Speaker 2: That does whine me up that you claim on the insurance that you've paid for you've paid every month for your insurance and then the minute you claim, they bung it out because.
Speaker 1: More of a high risk.
Speaker 3: Why because my child's built water on their laptop. Yeah, speaking of high risk insurance claims. My coffee machine is like dead, flat out gone right. Why because the cockroaches ate the board that runs it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ricking, that's claimable.
Speaker 2: No, and you know why I know that's claimable. You had the exact same thing happen with our air conditioning units, and they went, oh, it was gecko damage, So they'll cover for animals.
Speaker 1: They don't cover for animals. What about kids? They fucking animals. They broke my laptop, You covered that.