Speaker 1: From the Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Tuesday, March thirty one, twenty twenty six. Step away from the Jerry Can. The government says there's plenty of fuel, but it's going to make it much cheaper starting Wednesday by harving the fuel excise and cutting road user charges. Jim Chalmers says it's timely, temporary and responsible. But it puts a giant hole in the budget. So why aren't they rationing fuel, Why did it take so long to get here?
Speaker 2: And will it work?
Speaker 1: Jeff Chambers is here in just a moment.
Speaker 3: We're making fuel cheaper today because we understand that Australians are under serious pressure.
Speaker 4: Will reduce the cost of a sixty five liter tank five out nineteen dollars.
Speaker 3: Our government will reduce the heavy vehicle due to charge to zero for three months to help trucks continue their vital work for our nation.
Speaker 4: It is timely, it is temporary, and it is responsible.
Speaker 3: We are asking people to buy as much fuel as they need, as much fuel as they usually get, not more, not less.
Speaker 4: The cost of what we are announcing today is two point five five billion dollars another fifty three million dollars.
Speaker 1: Jeff Chambers is The Australian's political editor. Jeff On Monday, the Prime Minister announced it pretty sweeping changes to the way fuel is priced in Australia. First of all, are you going to rush out and fill it?
Speaker 4: You can't.
Speaker 5: Well, I think there's a fair few people that will probably wait until Wednesday when this very populous fuel exercise cut kicks in. There'll probably be a few jerry cans and some big traffic jams getting into the surveys. Look, the fuel excise decision is another bit of evidence that when this Albanezi government is under pressure, it goes to the checkbook, the taxpayer funded checkbook, and it spends its way out of a problem. We saw on Saturday the Prime Minister and Chris Bowen, who's been under a lot of pressure, say that they're going to underwrite more supply coming into the country. So what does that mean. We don't know how much it's going to cost, but with the oil price the way it is, there is supply out there, there are ships with oil on it and the government will probably hide behind commercial and confidence, but it will cost tens of millions of dollars to underwrite petrol coming in, so they hope that that will sort out the supply issue. We're already underwriting fuel refineries. There's only a couple left in this country. They wouldn't be open without taxpayer funded subsidies. And now we're having to subsidize the price of petrol. And we've seen some that will say that Angus Taylor on Friday has basically given.
Speaker 2: A green light for the government to move this way.
Speaker 5: Well, petrol stations are running dry. Fuel's becoming unaffordable for Australians and this government hasn't got off its task and done its job. The speed of the way that the government announced it on a Monday after our Friday announcement shows that this was already ready.
Speaker 2: This was already prepared, it was already costed.
Speaker 5: We're about six weeks out from the May twelve budget and it was like, thank you very much, thanks for giving us the green light to spend and this is going to cost about two point five to five billion dollars. And I think this is the issue with the major parties is that they chase that sort of populous big spendethon and no one's actually looking with more sort of complex thought about future proofing Australia. Why was our fuel stock so low? It's been low for years under the coalition under Labor. Does anyone think that Chris Bowen put fossil fuel petrol oil fuel reserves at the top of his list when they won the election in twenty twenty two. The answer to that is absolutely not.
Speaker 1: Over the weekend, the Prime Minister was taking a very sort of disappointed headmaster tone and it reminded me a little bit of COVID Jeff, where he was saying he was shocked to see photographs of people with multiple jerry cans filling up at petrol stations. But isn't that a problem that the government itself created by failing to do maybe something like this or something else much much earlier than now.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Look, we do see this delayed response in times of crises. We've talked about it on a bunch of fronts, and they ultimately get there, but they have to get pushed by someone else saying why don't you do this, or they get some polling or some focus group research coming in, or their backbenches are saying you have to do more, and do it quicker that's really interesting, this sort of COVID link. And I've been getting some PTSD because I covered so many National Cabinet meetings Scott Morrison era, and it's funny to hear the government talking about they don't want to intervene, they don't want to mandate things, when I do recall them being in opposition and coming up with a lot of pretty draconian ideas.
Speaker 2: So it's a new world order.
Speaker 5: Now say, look, the Prime Minister has learned from that COVID experience that unless he absolutely has to, doesn't want to get in talk of rationing. There was that language from some labor ministers and Chris Bowen in regards to these people who are filling up their Jerry cans being un Australian, and that tone was pretty quickly, you know, it very much toned it back. We saw Chris Bowen and Jim Chalmers standing very grim faced and next to the Prime Minister. These are normally the attack dogs. And now everyone's looking towards the budget and to thinking there could be a recession by the end of the year. What's going to happen to the housing market, how high are costs going to be?
Speaker 2: And will this.
Speaker 5: Government now try and spend its way out of trying to lower inflation a lot they did with the power bills and try to avoid recession.
Speaker 2: And I think potentially.
Speaker 5: This Donald Trump Iran war has given them potentially an excuse to squib it and to go full spending popular sort of approach, the idea of.
Speaker 1: That being un Australian and filling up multiple jerry cans at the petrol station. And it's a clear reference, I think to the way people were hoarding so something like toilet paper or tintune or bottle water during the COVID pandemic. Is it on Australian or is it just kind of sensible if you don't actually have any faith in the government to make sure that the petrol station is not going to run out next week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a really good point.
Speaker 5: We've basically ostracize the oil and gas industry in this country. We've got so much of it here and we're importing almost everything, And what other option do Australian motorists and those who rely on petrol have if that's their livelihood and they're struggling to pay the bills. So yeah, really it comes down to a supply issue. That's my issue with the excise. I mean, obviously people would want cheaper petrol, but at the end of the day, we just need to have that steady flow of supply. And it's quite ironic now to see crisp and through gritted teeth having to subsidize the importing of a fossil fuel in oil and bring that petrol in and make it cheaper.
Speaker 2: And I think the only thing.
Speaker 5: That Angus Taylor's announcement did to the Prime Minister and Chris Bowen was really, I guess, make them quite angry because he said to fund his fuel excise cut proposed cut, he would cut a whole bunch of these EV and green programs for labor.
Speaker 2: That's a no go zone.
Speaker 1: Well, we saw last week reports that used EV sales were actually up for the first time ever, so maybe Chris Bohm will get his way anyway.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean that's it. I've heard the same thing.
Speaker 5: And you don't get the warranty right for the battery and there are issues with the battery.
Speaker 2: So this is what we see.
Speaker 5: You know, the more elite folk who could buy that new EV and get all that great subsidy, the trickle down.
Speaker 2: Element of that will mean that, yeah, you're going to.
Speaker 5: Have other families buying secondhand vehicles with zero warranty. So it's put a lot of pressure on Jim Charmer's six weeks out from the budget.
Speaker 1: Coming up, So why aren't we imposing limits at the petrol pump. Let's just look at that idea of rationing though, Jeff, maybe this is on Australian I don't know, but would a hundred leader ration have been such a bad idea three weeks ago if the government had said, look, there's nothing wrong with your supply, but to make sure that there's enough for everybody and that nobody feels the need to panic by, we're going to limit you to one hundred leaders per stop at the petrol station, maybe per week or per few days. Would that have been such a bad idea and could it potentially have avoided this massive hit to the budget that they're now going to have to deal with.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think there's a lot of trauma and paranoia amongst the political class thinking about COVID and mandates that came down, and I think that drove a lot of that resistance. I think Pauline Hanson had come out and talked about that as well. So you see the major parties, she does this to them where she'll come out with something very early, then they try and find their way through it and how they respond to it. I think it's difficult in the fact that you've got suburban motorists, You've got regional motorists out of suburban motorists.
Speaker 2: So how do you get that rationing level right?
Speaker 5: Cars generally are more efficient than they were many years ago, so I personally probably fill up once a week now, where in the old days I probably would have filed that more than that. So I think it came down to that. But it was pretty obvious to me that the government were very flat footed. I think as soon as the Iran War started, you surely thought about supply chain and for US our strategic reserve being in the US that was never going to come our way, so they should have had a plan in place, and unfortunately, I just as I said earlier, I don't think Chris Bowen when he came in in twenty twenty two, would have looked at our strategic reserves just how fragile they are in that thirty day mark and gone, we need to prioritize this to protect our sovereignty and to protect our families motor workers. It's sort of like he's learning it on the job. We've had shortages of ad Blue during COVID. It wasn't because they couldn't come out of China, but people were hoarding it. So you've got to get the actual suppliers sitting around the table.
Speaker 2: You've got to know who they are.
Speaker 5: There's also we had gas issues in terms of gas shortfalls, so you bring in all the gas bosses and you lay the law down. So I've heard that there are some independent fuel and other sort of private companies who are hoarding as well because it's not in their best financial interests. So it's going to be a pretty costly exercise over a few months because we weren't prepared for this.
Speaker 1: Well, Jim Thomas has clearly got a new mantra, and it's giving me flashbacks to budgets a couple of budgets ago.
Speaker 2: Jeff.
Speaker 1: It's temporary, it's timely, and it's repet so we've got six more weeks to hear that until budget night. I hope you enjoy it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Well, this was supposed to be his big reforming budget. He was supposed to show us how he was going to lift productivity and everything's been blown out of the water. And the Prime minister's a pretty cautious fellow and his Treasurer has a lot of ambition.
Speaker 2: So who wins the day?
Speaker 5: And I think given the situation where it's been a while since we've seen these cost of living sweeteners, they didn't do it at my EFO. I think that there's going to be more to come on this. The problem is if inflation keeps going up, where does this stop? For How long can the government think they can keep propping up household budgets when the cost of everything keeps just going through the roof And the projections are is that we may well fall into recession and those cost of living pressures might just keep rising and rising.
Speaker 1: Well, Jeff, thank you very much and I'll see you at the petrol station on Wednesday.
Speaker 2: I see there.
Speaker 1: Thanks, hopefully we'll see you there too. Jeff Chambers is The Australian's political editor. You can read all his unrivaled analysis at the Australian dot com do AU