Speaker 1: Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, well, you're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with Dotty Asmina, an incredible integrative GP and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit v three sixty dot health or check out the show notes for more. There is no doubt that I am in perimenopause. I'm forty seven years old, which puts me in the age bracket, and whilst my periods are bang on regular, they have started to creep a little shorter, so there now around that twenty six days instead of twenty eight days each cycle, and the symptoms, the symptoms are starting to come in, and some months they are coming thick and fast. For me, it's predominantly the night sweats in that week leading up to getting my period, and then occasionally I'll get headaches also in that same week before my periods. Some months I get these really sore boobs right around ovulation that just stay sore all the way through to my period. Then we've got the rage. The rage so much so that sometimes when Tim is sitting next to me on the couch chewing an apple so loud, I literally have thought multiple times about the different ways that I could murder him. But here's the thing. There are some months where I have zero symptoms and it's all smooth sailing, and my period just arrives, no period pain, couple of days of bleeding off and running again. And then there are some months where the symptoms appear, but you know, quite differently from month to month. So because of these inconsistencies, and also because I'm kind of coping. Okay, I haven't yet gone down the HRT path, but it got me thinking that I bet that there are many women out there a little bit like me where you know they've got some symptoms, but they're coping okay, and maybe they're feeling a little bit confused about when and if they should start taking HRT. This is healthy her with Amelia Phillips. If you're a woman between the ages of thirty nine and sixty, chances are you're either perimenopausal, you've reached menopause, or you're within that five year when postmenopause. And if you're suffering the symptoms of low hormones and spoiler alert, these symptoms are so much more than simply hot flushes and night sweats, then you've probably considered hormone replacement therapy or HRT as you may have heard it called, or more recently labeled MHT. Maybe you've been warned off them, maybe you've tried them but stopped, or maybe you're on them now. Wherever you are on this journey, there are often many questions and confusion about the best path forward. So to help us navigate this important HRT decision is a perimenopause queen herself on a mission to save the fannies. As she says in her wonderful Irish accent, Doctor Kerry Kishell, doctor Kerry is a Sydney GP and co founder of Healthy Hormones, Australia's leading evidence based menopause education platform. She's a passionate speaker and advocate for women's health and she's on a mission to create true gender equality and healthcare. She educates both the public and clinicians on women's health and menopause care. Doctor Kerry and her team put menopause on the world stage at the Sydney Opera House, which really helped bring attention to the inequalities of health care for women and the misinformation out there surrounding HRT. I really really recommend that you download her Healthy Hormones app, which is full of incredible resources, and also follow doctor Kerry on Instagram. I'll put both those links in the show notes. Doctor Kerry, thank you so much for joining us on Healthy her.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having me Amelia, delighted to be here.
Speaker 1: Well, up until a few years ago, you were a regular busy GP minding your own business looking after your wonderful patients. What on earth made you pivot down this path and become so passionate about menopause care and probably now tripled your workload?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So I was looking after one particularly wonderful patient no one as my patient Zerial, who came in to me one day and said, could you prescribe me some of that testosterone stuff? And I said, don't be ridiculous. Testosterone is for books and you're a woman, so you can't be having any of that. And she said, wow, let me tell you something. You know, she's also a nurse and great, great crack, and she said, testosterone is actually a female hormone, Doctor Kerry, and I think you maybe need to go and learn a little bit more about female hormones, which includes testosterone and upskill on the treatment of perimenopause and menopause. And as you know, where I work and live is a village, so there's not really anywhere to hide because the people I look after teaching the school, they run local businesses, they are local moms, they're local politicians.
Speaker 1: So we talk, we talk.
Speaker 2: You do not want to be on the wrong side of the village gossip as the person that didn't know what test austerone was and didn't really know how to manage primenopause. And also the response ability of you know, the village's economy is on me and you know, the sality. So I also went and did did the course and did some reading and listened to a ton of podcasts and realized that my whole foundation from understanding the female model was slightly missing. So in medicine, we're really largely trained on the male model, which is quite simple. And we come out of our medical training we do, you know, and then we all do all these extra these jobs that we're supposed to learn more and more, and we're still really being trained how to treat the male model. And I would say, like women are like ferraris, you know, we're a bio engineering feet whereas men haven't chosen the right car yet. But I would say somewhere around the super you know, kind of reliable and you can pimp them up awave it, but really, you know, they're pretty easy to service and you can probably do a lot of the service in yourself, whereas women like need a whole pet crew. You know, we've got different hormones. We've got the same hormones but in different amounts, so you know, they're changing all the time. We've got connective tissue that's more flexible and stretching. We've got an immune system, that's much more adaptable, so we have to grow a foreign body inside that's fifty percent foreign DNA, you know, when we're pregnant, and you know, under our nervous system is also more reactive, probably because of all those centuries of oppression, or just because you know, we are the smaller, smaller sex, so we just are different. And you know, it was it's been wonderful to have a framework to understand fifty one percent of the population because I think for a lot of us, especially female GPS, we're trying to treat people that we haven't really been trained to treat. So it's been liberating. I would say, I love my job more than I could ever have predicted at you know, the grand dated fifty one. I've been doing medicine. I've been in medicine for thirty three years, you know, for you know, twenty seven.
Speaker 1: So well, we certainly are very appreciative of you being a real trial blazer and getting perimenopause and women's healthcare up in life, even at the opera house, which is wonderful. Let's start with a little bit of a one oho one for those of us that are you know, in this stage, and I think we're all getting a lot more educated, which is fantastic. But starting with the main stages, can you please explain the main stages of perry, menopause and postmenopause and kind of so we can help to really, as we're listening to you today, understand what stage that we might be in.
Speaker 2: So if we start right at the beginning, when we're born, we're women, and those seven female at birth are born with a finite number of eggs or more correctly termed follicles, and we've actually already lost millions before we're even born. And I didn't even appreciate that. You start to lose those follicles. You know from the outset, you're losing them before you go through puberty, so you've already lost the majority of them by the time you hit forty and because there's a finite number, you keep losing them month and month, whether you're on the pill, whether you're pregnant, you just lose them. So on average, by the time a woman hits fifty one in Australia, she's lost almost all of her eggs, has maybe left with maybe around one thousand. And because you're born with these eggs, they're the ones that you've had from birth. They're also the quality has gone down, so but the quality and the quantity is reduced so much that you're probably not going to ovulate anymore on average at fifty one. Some women do go later, and for other women it's earlier. And at the point that you stop ovulating, you now going into what we call menopause. Now, natural menopause is defined as twelve months after your last menstrual period. That's natural menopause. Now, who chose twelve months?
Speaker 1: Who knows men in cuts in a boardroom some way?
Speaker 2: And I think it's because you don't ever know until it's retrospective, you know, until you're looking back when did I stop? But probably it's more accurate to say that menopause is the end of those periods. To be fair for women who have their overrea is removed, that surgical menopause, and that is you're in menopause immediately so they don't have to wait for another twelve months. And then women whose overies are you know, to stop working by medications or radiotherapy, that's medical menopause. And again that would be considered immediately at that point, and that's that's sometimes temporary and the average age of menopause is fifty one, and perimenopause is the time running up to that natural menopause. It may or may not happen. If you have a surgical menopause, you may have been ovulating perfectly and then your overraies a removed and that and that is that's why surgical menopause for younger women is often a huge shock to the system and you know, can really be much more devastating in terms of symptoms because there's been no gradual shift in those hormones. So perimenopause for some woman might only last a few weeks or a few months, and for others might last years. And that is really best described as a time of stuttering. Overrais so your ovaries are desperately trying to push out another egg. The brain is recognizing that the hormone levels are starting to change, because these eggs are what produced your estrogen and your progesterone. Estrogen is made from testosterone in the over I should add, and as the brain senses those falling hormone levels, its sense stronger and stronger signals down to the ovaries going come on, lads or lasses just crack out one more egg there. Sometimes you'll get these massive surges of estrogen, and other months you'll not get anything at all, And progesterone is often checking out a lot earlier, because progesterone is only made once you actually obviate, whereas the estrogen is made by those follicles, those immature eggs maturing. So you're tending to be producing estrogen most months, but not necessarily progesterone. But the estrogen levels are very erratic, and our body, particularly our brain, really dislikes instability. You know, it has got used to menstrual cycle. Although for you know, most women, you know that you feel a bit different for that week before your period or a few days, and it might be very subtile. But ninety percent of women get PMT pre tension or pre menstal symptoms, and ten percent of them get pre menstual dysphoric disorder, which is severe PMD, which affects your ability to function. But perimenopause, you know, then that just ramps up and eighty percent of women will get psychological symptoms, so that perimenopause pay phase very different for different people. Average age of menopause fifty one, but five percent of women will be in menopause by forty one, and a thousand women will be in menopause by thirty perhaps more because we're really bad at picking it up. I've looked after women who've been in menopause since their teenage years and that's you know, so it's not that, but it's often not. It's often named other things, I think, just to make it more, you know, less stigmatized. But the reality is this is, you know, a very very very premature in menopause and then some women, you know, we won't go into menopause until the's sixty after the day of menopause, your postmenopausal until you die. So that's the that's the next phase.
Speaker 1: So I guess the confusing thing for a lot of us is this perimenopause period, because like you say, it can last weeks, months versus a decade, almost stor even longer. Is there any telltale signs to say that I'm in perimenopause or I'm in early stage perimenopause or late stage perimenopause? As a doctor, is there something that is there a test that you do or is it more symptom based? How do you help a woman navigate where she is on that journey.
Speaker 2: So unfortunately, we don't have blood tests that can diagnose perimenopause because you've got these really erratic levels of hormones that can be different day to day, on different months to months. So you might find some months, you know, if you check on it, if you manage to choose the right day to check a progesterone on, it might be low. But the next month, you know, you might have ovulated a different day, so you're not going to catch that progesterone. So maybe in the future, with continuous hormone monitoring, we might be able to diagnose a bit better.
Speaker 1: I've used that before. I've used a product called Mirror before and trapped. But again I did three months and they were all quite different. But it was interesting to see my hormone in real time. It's a lot of work. You've got to pay on a stick every morning, so you've got to really be interested in it. Didn't tell me that much more than what, say, symptoms, So do you mostly go off symptoms, for example, the symptoms I was talking about at the top of my episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, So this is really what we call a clinical diagnosis, and there's lots of things in medicine that we don't have good biomarkers for, you know, things like migraine doesn't have a blood test. It's very much you know, based on what somebody tells us and what we're always trying to do as GPS is you know, because which I haven't said, you know, every single cell in the human body's got estrogen, progesterone and test austrien receptors. Then when those hormone levels do change, you can have any symptom at all. So there is an infinite number of symptoms that can be attributed to perimenopause. But it's really important that we don't assume that everything is perimenopausal because we don't want to miss you know, more serious things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, night sweats can be linked to serious conditions like cancer.
Speaker 2: That's why you know, don't even if you you know, you don't want to have a hormone discussion. If you are having symptoms, it is important to go and have a chat to you know, your GP to workout is this does this seem like perimenopause? Is there something else? And also when these estrogen progester and testosterone levels are sort of falling and testosterone falls from your late twenties, it's not falling off. Particularly at perimenopause, you can start to see increasing incidences of other conditions, particularly like autoimmune disease, especially thyroid dysfunction. You know, women with heavy periods often get iron deficiencies. So you've got all these So you may have iron deficiency, you may have thyroid disease, and your perimenopausal and you may also have something serious as well.
Speaker 1: It's like the perfect storm, all of this kind of urging or car crash.
Speaker 2: Storm, car crash, roller coaster, you know, choose your wild ride terminology. So yeah, So looking at symptoms, and we would often do a symptoms score. We've got a symptom checker on healthy hormones, but there's lots of bonds and different platforms, so sort of getting a picture. If you've got twenty five symptoms of you know, palpitations and heavy periods and irritability, I think that irritation with your partner's breathing or chain I think that's the closest to diagnostic sign.
Speaker 1: Yes, I would agree with you because I don't remember that apple chewing being nearly as loud or annoying when we were first together and you know, ten years ago, but it's like, yeah, he's in trouble, man.
Speaker 2: I think if that's new, that's a good sign. So people who are in neuro divergent do experience that at different times in life. But if that's the first time you've experienced that, I think, and this might be perimenopause. But the classic symptoms, sorry I should say so, the things that we would always classically have said are diagnostic of perimenopause would be what's called vasomotor symptoms, which is as a result of your brain perceiving changes in temperature very you know, as very dramatic changes, so they drive the flushing and the sweating or perhaps some people get very cold, so that would be vasimotor or hot flushes, night sweats, chills would be more classical perimenopause symptoms and menopause symptoms, so they are quite a strong marker and change in your the frequency of your period, so your parents becoming more spaced out, closer together, heavier, lighter. But as you've said, you know, women can have regular periods and they can be getting psychological symptoms, or they can be getting politicians or that they can be getting vaginal dryness or sore joints.
Speaker 1: And tell me when these symptoms are non specific symptoms, you know, like I'm getting a headache or I'm feeling rage or whatever. But then you're noticing because you're tracking your period that oh yeah, that every month they're occurring in that week before my period. Is that as a as a doctor, that's something that you take note of and go, well, that very much sounds like it's sicklic cool, and its symptoms are coming at this similar time. That's a clue.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, So that's definitely a clue that being hormonal. There's a bit of discussion in the hormone space as to whether we are diagnosing perimenopause too soon and it's actually severe PMT or premnstrual dysphoric disorder. So there's a bit of argument that this is actually PMDD not perimenopause. When it's those real pre menstrual like you're so you're fine for two weeks but awful for two weeks, that that maybe could be more class hiders PMDD. But the reality is if you really treat I find the most effective treatment for PMDD is using hormones in some way, and that's the same as what you're often doing for perimenopause, whether it's a combination of our contraceptive pill, contraceptive valu D plus or minus, or just body identical hormones, you know, and some woman in either perimenopause or PMDD also need an antidepressant as well, and then obviously all your lifestyle stuff. So I feel in a way it doesn't really matter because different people in those groups will respond to different things independent of what we've called them, whether we call them PMDD or perimenopause.
Speaker 1: In your clinic, and just anecdotally, I know the research might say one thing, but I'm curious for your experience in your clinic, what are the most common symptoms that are really you know, driving women to come and see you, that you know are perimenopause related, and then that you see improve really well once you do put them on some kind of horn replacement program.
Speaker 2: So definitely, mood symptoms would be at the top, So anxiety, not being able to sleep, irritability, wanting to kill everybody in your family.
Speaker 1: I'm not alone, You're definitely all alone.
Speaker 2: So definitely, cycle, I would say psychological symptoms are at the top.
Speaker 1: Are the biggest ones.
Speaker 2: That's so interesting I think overall the research would sugest they are the most common. They're certainly up there at the top, and they're what impact women at work, at home, you know, in relationships. Next one would be heavy periods are really common, I think, are common cause not necessarily up high in terms of frequency, in terms of like, like some people, the seventy sixty seventy percent of women will get hot flushes, but maybe forty five, forty to fifty percent will get heavy periods. But a lot of women are not overly bothered by their hot flushes. Yeah, but their flooding periods are really debilitating. Yeah, because and partly because I'm making them aren't efficient, but because they're having to live in black clothes. And you know, for us in Sydney and Australia, where you.
Speaker 1: Know everyone wears white linen.
Speaker 2: Or go to the beach or go swimming. Yeah, it's it's you know, and there's so many women leven black for so long. So I would say psychological. And probably the second one would be would be struggling with heavy periods or a period irregularity would be And then joint pen and stiffness and injuries, you know, everything from planta fasciadas to you know, penful shoulders, to knee.
Speaker 1: Pen yeah, frozen shoulder yeah.
Speaker 2: And then getting wet around your metal?
Speaker 1: Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health? If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, well, you're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three point sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed. With a functional health approach plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with Doctasmina, an incredible integrative GP, and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit v three sixty dot health or check out the show notes for more and of those symptoms. When you do have patients that do go on HRT, are there a collection of symptoms that you're like I'm usually pretty bang on confident that the hormones are really going to help with this, and some that you may not be so confident with. Would you say that there are some that you're like, I really feel confident this is going to help this patient.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so for the uncomplicated woman, and I don't actually treat very many of those anymore. For some reason, my population or hypermobile neurodivergent, they have a touch of them cuss which is a sensitive immune system. But for the average whoever you are, Yes, mood symptoms respond really well, and even in my bend, in your divergent population. So mood symptoms respond well. So the anxiety, the insomnia, the irritability, and really response beautifully to hormones.
Speaker 1: Oh that's so encouraging.
Speaker 2: Really, confidence comes back, word finding comes back, you know, so you're able to speak at work, have an argument, which is important whether it work or not. And being able to sleep. I think the gift of giving somebody their sleep back. And that's something you see in women, you know, right up to quite an old age. When you start hormones, they're like, wow, I haven't slept like that for thirty years. So that periods can be a bit more touch and go with body identical hormones that can take a lot more work and often heavy periods. Do you need other interventions? Wait again, around the middle tends to need more interventions. Joint PN responds really well to estrogen in general, So that's a nice one on energy.
Speaker 1: And so for someone like me, for example, who has some months where no symptoms and then some months where I do have symptoms and you know they're uncomfortable, but I'm surviving, and I know we're obviously not an adoptive patient consult here, So this is all just general advice and oh my wonderful listeners know that disclaimer, but just curious to know how do you help a woman navigate when is the right time to go on your HRT.
Speaker 2: I think it is really so personal and I think always well, depending where somebody is, if somebody is really struggling, then they usually want to use a medication on which hormones would be usually first choice if it's a hormone related condition. But for women here are maybe like yeah, not sure. Then really looking at your obviously optimized your lifestyle because healthy nutrition, getting enough exercise, getting enough daylight, getting enough sleep, you know, obviously if you can't sleep, then giving yourself all the sleep availability in the world isn't going to help. But a lot of women, especially in their late thirties and forties, are not giving themselves enough opportunity for sleep. We live, and you know, we're often even though we're in Australia, we're living inside under the led lights. We're not getting enough morning daylight. We're caffeinating ourselves up, we don't drink enough fluids, so we're often really depleted by the afternoon. Most a lot of us are working, you know, and managing a family and potentially caring for older parents, so there's a lot of juggling going on. So I think really important to just maybe take a moment and look and see where you can prioritize your own health every day. And it doesn't have to be a lot, you know, it can be just taking a few minutes outside, you know, getting a bit of morning daylight, having a you know, warm water or a coffee if that's what you want, and just really taking a moment and go like things are not right. I need to really spend this bit of time putting myself first, because we are the hub beautually of families, often of workplace, so investing in you will have a reple effect, so that selfishness is actually very selfless.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent agree with you, and I think it really is an age when that is no longer an option, it actually becomes a necessity for us. And it's funny hearing you talking about the sleep so interesting because when I was really tracking using mirror and doing some little self experiments outside of HRT, just with lifestyle sleep and really prioritizing sleep made the biggest difference to my symptoms, which is no surprise considering how much hormonal recalibration goes on at night. And I had this wonderful sleep expert, Dr Lisa Moltman on my podcast and she used this great analogy which I refer to quite a lot, and she called it can't sleep versus won't sleep, And she said, you know, there's a group of you know, poor people out there who can't sleep for whatever reason. You know, they can't get to sleep or they wake up at three am. And that's kind of usually factors outside of our control. But then the want sleep group, and that was me, who you know, stay up to watch that extra episode or just want that may time on the catch or doom scroll or you know, burn the candle at both ends, and she's like, if you're in the won't sleep category, you know what can you do? So it is something that I have found really will on the months that I prioritize sleep, I find I have less symptoms, which it's encouraging to know that there are some levers that can make a difference.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And I do wonder whether because our environments are so stressed, well, both the environments that we put on ourselves but also the environment we live in have maybe made pain menopause that a bit tougher because all of those sort of biological things are so protective. So for instance, if you do give yourself more safe, you probably can produce more hormones. You might obulate a bit more. When your body's under stress, you're not going to be able to push those we eggs that are still there. So really, if you can't, but equally, if you can't manage, it's not failure. And I actually think some women do go on hormones I see when they're a bit younger and sometimes come off to them again because they actually start to feel okay. It's almost like it gives them a bit of a reset breathing room. Yeah. Yeah, so sometimes that can even happen, and that's fine.
Speaker 1: So you spoke about the average woman, wherever she is, whoever you are. What is a really stock, standard, average hormone replacement therapy, you know, protocol that you would put someone on if there is such a thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, is there is kind of their cookie cutor what most people get offered. And it's always looking at somebody's past medical history and checking that there's no serious contra indications, and for the majority of woman there really isn't you know, an active breast cancer or a history of a hormone receptor positive breast cancer. Takes a lot more conversation, but it's still not an absolute no. But because we now use estrogen through the skin for the majority of woman, that's actually taken out a lot of contra indications, so it doesn't increase the risk of cloth or stroke or heart attack. So it's really really safe for most women. And that comes as a gel or a patch. In Australia we don't have the spray and that's how you get your estrogen, and so it really depends which of those products you're using. I tend to start low, so because you never know how women are going to absorb it through the skin. There's huge variation. You know, you might need one pump of gel and I might be able to I might have to sleep in the stuff and I still wouldn't absorb it. So I tend to start low and see how people go. So the estrogen tends to do most of the heavy lifting for the symptoms. And then the second hormone that we add on is progest a roone and that we try to use as body identical progesterone. Progestogens are synthetic. That's what's in the contraceptive pills or the IUD, and that comes as a little capsule, So you do take that usually by mouth, and you take that before you go to bed, and that keeps the womb from getting too thick from the estrogen. So if you just give estrogen on its own to a woman who has a uterus, then the women and it will get too thick. So you take the progesterone at night before you go to bed. If you're in perimenopause, sometimes we give it just for half of the month for two capsules. If you're postmenopausal. We give it one capsule every night, but we do shut chop and change between those for other reasons. So progesterone is the second hormone. It doesn't just protect the uterus, It actually helps a lot of women's sleep. It also reduces anxiety. There's a little bit of evidence for it in bone health, immune health, and also reducing cravenks, which is good for all the people who've started to self medicate with alcohol. And then the third hormone is testosterone, which isn't a particularly a hormone that falls off at menopause. It's often already low because it's been fallen from your late twenties. And in Australia it is only licensed for postmenopausal women with low libido. But estrogen and progestone are also only licensed for postmenopausal women. So these are all off license in perimenopause.
Speaker 1: That's great, Are you serious there? Off label? I knew testosterone was, but I did not.
Speaker 2: We have no license drugs to treat peri menopause. Says it all, does it not?
Speaker 1: That is mind blowing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they're all licensed for postmenopause. Yeah, So when people sort of push back about prescribing testosterone to a perineanopus a woman. I'm like, well, you're prescribing the estrogen and progesterone. It's off license as well, So test astrone is licensed for a hyproactive sexual desire disorder, which is a long way of said distressing low libido. And it works for some woman, works brilliantly for some, does nothing for others, but as other women do. Quite a few women will say it helps their brain function, helps their energy, and some people do for help find it helps their mood. It's really variable. It takes a bit longer to work.
Speaker 1: So do you tend to start them on estrogen and progesterone on their own first, and then if you need to later on brion testosterone so you can get a sense of yeah, how the other two are working.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, And I have got somebody who's very sensitive, you know, Who've got somebody that is who's got a history of medication sensitivity, a history of severe PMDD or perinatal depression, or sensitivity to the contraceptive pill. I tend to start estrogen or progesterone, depends which symptoms are worth one at a time, you know, starting them for four weeks, so you know if because there are some people who will act to body identical hormones and that's not that uncommon, so you want to know. So those are your hormones that are going to go into your bloodstreain, testostrum, sorry as a cream as well, and they'll go around and do all the big work. But you can't forget because obviously I'm passionate about saving fannies. And irrespective of what age you are, whether you're twenty or you're ninety nine, if you've got vaginal dryness, urgency frequency getting up at night for away your recurrent urn attractive fections, we need to think about vaginal hormones and they are pretty much safe for everybody, and they reduce the risk of the recurrent your attractive fections reduce the risk of women getting admitted to hospital, getting sepsis and dying. So they're the lowest time in freaking medicine, and we want to prescribe them to six percent of post menopozzle woman. But they can help women on the pill, They can help women who are breastfeeding. Women here on antidepressants, rocky tane drugs with skin you know, they are really the bomb.
Speaker 1: Would you prescribe vaginal estrogen at the same time as the patch or the gill.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, and then you might just because of natural attrition, you get you know, we're busy, you'd forget to keep doing it and then you might be fine. So you know, probably about twenty percent of women who are on what we call systemic h RT MHT so three the JIT skin as a tablet or whatever, will still need to use vaginal hormones to get enough into that vaginal involvle tissue. But it's just so important that people realize that that vaginas are not just for sex. They're protecting your bladder and that is so important for health, you know, because the current UTIs I don't want to be sitting in a nursing home smelling away because I had a year and retrapped infection, fell over and broke my hip and you know, couldn't live at home anymore. So vaginal hormones are a total win and you can start them at any age. So if you've got a mum or granny doctor, because about ninety percent of women over seventy have symptoms.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know in speaking and working with some all the ladies, how much recurrent UTIs are an issue and no one likes to talk about them because who wants to talk about having a ut?
Speaker 2: Well, doctor should, but we don't. We seem to have a week.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about mental health for a moment, because you know you mentioned earlier how impactful hit can be. For that now, research shows that women in perimenopause have a forty percent higher risk of developing mood orders such as depression than any other life stage. Like, that's almost half forty percent than any other life stage, you know. Researchers also believe that this makes perimenopause an extremely vulnerable time for women for mental health, for emotional resilience, and also for overall well being. These falling hormone levels, they seem to coincide with the highest statistical window for female suicide, which I was shocked to find out that the highest window for suicide in a woman's lifespan is forty five to forty nine years old. Is it true, then, with all of that in mind, that SSRIs are still the first line tree, even though research suggests that they are largely ineffective when the mental health disorder is triggered by low hormones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's all very true. Sone, no, no, I mean so much of when you sort of start to dive and keep going into this, I mean each thing is I mean, everything you read is just mind blowing. So estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, as I say, every cell has got receptors for them, but they're probably their most potent in the brain. So they work themselves as neurotransmitters. And they also influence your serotonin, your dopamine, your gabba, your acetal cooling, your histamine, your glutamate. So they affect how you feel, how you think, how you behave, even how you learn. So they're so potent, and women know this. You know that you're sharper and your different moods at different times of the month. You know when you're having a regular cycle, so of course it's going to go away a bit upside down in primenopause. They also affect the blood flow of your brain, how your blood flows around your brain, the effect the immune function of your brain. So there's all these things going on, and yet because we weren't trained, we will still when we see the average doctor will see a woman who comes in who's anxious who's not sleeping. We will talk about the stress and the social stuff that's happening. We're good at that, but we're not thinking hormones. We're still going this is an anxiety disorder, this is a depressive disorder, And twenty five percent of women in midlife are on an SSRI. And you're right. Big meta analysis suggests that overall antidepressants are not that effective even at trading major anxiety depression. They do have they absolutely have a role, but not as much of a role as a hormone does in trading a hormonal issue. And the worst thing I think is not just that they're not the right treatment. They often can make that loss of joy failing worse. So you come in, you're feeling rubbish, You get given a drug and then you feel a bit worse, and then you might get tried on a second or a third antidepressant, and each time you feel a bit worse, but you also don't get better. So now you're hopeless. And I think all the those things we have no data, but I based on sort of how humans behave. You're already feel rubbish and each time the treatment fails, So you can just see how that conspiral and women. There is a real difference when women have this primen apostal depression. They are different. They're often still very well dressed, they're often masking really well. And I think it definitely there's an overlap with all of the undiagnosed neurodiversions in women, because you know, we've been crap at picking that up as well, and that really drives that burnout in the forties. But I think it's like that's we wrote the first guidance for primen apostal depression for GPS in Australia got published this year, and you know, even then, they're still pushback, people saying perimenopostal depression isn't a thing, you know, so and that's from the establishment. Yeah, it's crazy. And I'm like, come in, sit in my surgery and see these poor women and then see them come back two to three months later going you know what, I feel a lot better, Yes, And I'm starting to dad a bit better and I'm going to the gym and so, you know, it's just there isn't anything that you see that transformation with me certainly don't see it on an anti present.
Speaker 1: That is just so remarkable and I almost fell off my chair when I saw that actually the SSRIs can be treatment resistant when the low mood is caused by low hormones. I had doctor Luise Newsome on my podcast a little while ago who echoed the same sentiment as you, and just the sheer frustration of it. I will ask you, though HRT doesn't work, and I say that in inverted commas for everyone, what would you say to ladies who are like, oh, I tried it and it didn't work. It didn't do anything for me. Is there a dosage conversation to be had here or a timing thing stage of perimenopause.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's absolutely not for everybody. But I think that a lot of the people who've said who say it didn't work, probably weren't absorbing it. So I am quite tenacious and I work. We work and try and find the right dose, and for ninety nine percent of my patients we find a dose that actually does make them feel better, and they do so. And I think a big part of that is the patch gel thing, where you know, there's huge variation how well women absorb it through the skin. The second group of people who there's also a group of women and they're that's much smaller group of women who react to hormones, and I think they're very much in this hypermobile and you're divergent overactive immune system because fluctuating, particularly the fluctiating hormones can really activate the immune system and cause you know, relations of hastorine, but load loads of other chemicals that sometimes that can be a bit more tricky. But even then for those women still managed, I've got I think about three patients who I've not managed to find.
Speaker 1: Works out of all of them.
Speaker 2: Out of all of them, well, look.
Speaker 1: Doctor Kerry, for those that are not lucky enough to live close enough to have you as the doctor, and I know your books are pretty close to being full anyway, closed close, Okay, shopp ish shit, guys, How can we go about finding a GP that we feel confident has had some extra training in women's health and that can hopefully give some of the sound guidance that you can give.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So this has been our passion project. So myself, I'm my co founder, doctor Emma Harvey, who's a GP up in Balina. She runs a national telehealth service called remy r Emi. But we set up Healthy Hormones together because we realized we've never been trained and we wanted to just create a group where we could share knowledge, and so it started off really very much as a community forum. We've now got about six thousand clinicians in there from all walks of life. You know, we've got about a nearly two thousand GPS, but we've got specialists, we've got Allied Health and a lot of women's health knowledge lives in clinicians' brains. Still it's not in you know, publications, not in books, not in guidelines. So we've got this wonderful mind high there. But we've also created a Menopause Essentials course and it's about nine of training on menopause and everybody that completes that then gets listed in our Menopause Informed Practitioner list. We've now got practitioners throughout Australia. So these are people they're not they're independent of Healthy Hormones, but they've done our course so they're there. So on the other half of Healthy Hormones is for the general public, so you can sign up as anybody can sign up and you can see the list of menopause informed doctors and nurse practitioners and psychologists and all of those people have spent an extra nine hours and there's nowhere else that you can find a list like that in Australia. It is the only menopause comprehensive menopause training.
Speaker 1: Course I've been on there. I highly recommend if for my beautiful listeners who we have got some clinicians, but predominantly everyday ladies jump on there and it's such a useful resource to be able to jump in and to search for the doctor or the allied health professional that you're looking for, and to know that they've had that extra training. So yeah, thank you for putting that together. It's so so helpful and useful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not fair women are spending a fortune going from you know. I hear so many stories of people who've said, you know, I've seen three GPS and I've been to two specialists and this was the advice I got. And it's not fair because it's costly. So we really wanted to create a network that was good to work for the whole of Australia, you know. And that's also about people find in conditions that are right for them as well. But our public communities there, which also mentioned go and say, hey, I live in x y Z. Do you know anybody that's local that's good and that personal recommendation is so valuable. And then because we do the you know, the fortnightly webinars, you know we do, we interview sort of experts from all around the world from different things. You know, we're really covering a lot of really fascinating topics in women's.
Speaker 1: Health, so relevant for the age and stage that we're at.
Speaker 2: Two.
Speaker 1: Well, look, doctor Kerry, I could talk to you all day, but just to wrap up, I would love a parting piece of advice from you for my beautiful listeners who might be thinking about starting HRT but feeling a bit apprehensive or not sure about starting. What some padding woods be from you?
Speaker 2: I think lean into what your body's telling you. I think one of our most our greatest powers as females is that we have a great part of intuition. We know really what's going on. Get yourself informed. People like to learn from different resources. Healthy hormones obviously, I'm bass I think it's got it all there. We link out to lots of other experts as well, so get informed so that you can make a decision that's right for you, because everybody's health journey is going to be different, so don't be influenced by what your friend says or what your mum says. Just work out what's right for you, and you don't need to share what you're doing with everybody because everybody will have an opinion and everybody's journey is so individual, So just do what's right for you, and whether that's going natural, taking hormones, throwing it all at it, you know, just work out what's right for you, and whatever you decide today, you can change next week or next year, because.
Speaker 1: You can just stop taking the homemones if they don't agree with you. You just don't put stup jail tomorrow. Doctor Kerry Keshell, thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for ralvoan it.
Speaker 1: Why is it so hard to get real answers about your health If you've been told that everything looks fine, but you know that something is off, we're not imagining it. That's why I created Vitality three point sixty to help you better understand what's going on inside your body so that you can take the targeted action needed with a functional health approach. Plus testing, we go beyond the guesswork to uncover the root causes of your symptoms. I've teamed up with doctor Asmina, an incredible integrative GP, and together we will help you decode your body's signals and answer questions like why am I always exhausted? What's really causing my stubborn weight? Am I inflamed? Insulin resistant? Or maybe missing key nutrients? Because when you understand your body better, you can transform your health. Visit V three six y dot Health or check out the show notes for more