Speaker 1: From the Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Wednesday, November nineteen, twenty twenty five. We can lift a million Australians out of the welfare trap. That's the vision from Noel Pearson's Cape York Partnership, which is celebrating its twentieth anniversary with a new vision that says finishing year twelve should be the goal for the most disadvantaged Indigenous Australians, new migrants and kids from poor communities. Part of the solution boarding school scholarships to keep vulnerable children away from trouble. That stories live now at the Australian dot com AU wacky, a lunatic, a traitor and worst of all, a Republican in name only rhino. These are insults Donald Trump has thrown at his rivals for years, but now well his target is a woman pivotal to Trump's Make America Great Again movement, Republican Congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Green and Trump have fallen out big time over his new role as international peacemaker, his concessions on tariffs and jobs, and, most importantly, the swirling Jeffrey Epstein drama today, who really owns MAGA and why is Donald Trump so very angry?
Speaker 2: I am withdrawing my support an endorsement of Congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Green of the Great State of Georgia. All I see wacky Marjorie do is complain? Complain, complain?
Speaker 1: Guess who? Donald Trump's been busy on truth social and we couldn't resist bringing this post to life with our favorite AI generator, Donald Voice.
Speaker 2: She has told many people that she is upset that I don't return her phone calls anymore. But with two hundred and nineteen congressmen and women, fifty three US Senators, twenty four Cabinet members, almost two hundred countries, and an otherwise normal life to lead, I can't take a ranting lunatics call every day.
Speaker 1: Joe Kelly is The Australian's correspondent in Washington, DC. Joe, there's a massive political breakup going on in the United States. It's Donald Trump and Marjorie Taylor Green. She's a Republican congresswoman from Georgia. She's a central figure in the Make America Great Again movement? Why are they breaking up?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Look, it's a fascinating question. Do you ask Claire. The first thing is Marjorie Taylor Green is very much a staunch defender of this make America Great Again, America First agenda that was championed by Donald Trump. She is a hard right conservative populist. She really got into politics because of Donald Trump. But they've had a lot of recent disagreements, and essentially it boils down to Marjorie Taylor Green thinking that Donald Trump has taken his eye off the ball and he's not prosecuting his America First agenda or implementing it, at least not to the satisfaction of Marjorie Taylor Green.
Speaker 4: I mean, Donald Trumps. He usually yells at everybody, so we're all used to it. But he's the president of the United States. And here's something you all may not know about me. I think a lot of people on the left are learning that. When I ran for Congress in twenty twenty, I ran criticizing Republicans and Democrats equally because I come from a working class family, ran a construction company for over twenty years, and I feel like the government has failed all of us, and it purely discussed me. It really does.
Speaker 3: She thinks he's spending too much time on his foreign agenda, so she's been critical of his initiatives in the foreign arena, including his handling of the Middle East conflict. She's been very critical of Israel. She said that Israel is committing a genocide in Gaza. She's been critical really of the influence that Israel has over the US political system. She opposed the bombing in Iran. She wants to see America avoid foreign entanglements and wants to ensure Donald Trump upholds that principle. So she was very disappointed recently when President Trump met with the leader of Syria, Ahmad al Shara. She said that that would have been a very disappointing event for people who had served in the US military, particularly given his former terrorist links. On the domestic agenda, she thinks Donald Trump is making missteps as well. She is concerned about the cost of living crunch, the affordability crisis, which is still ongoing here in America. Inflation is still elevated, running about three percent in the year to September. She was concerned about health insurance premiums going up. She actually supported the extension of those enhanced Obamacare subsidies which were unveiled back in twenty twenty one, so that was a very obvious disagreement between her and the president. She's also critical of Trump defending the large numbers of foreign students, Chinese students attending American universities. So there's a diverse range of issues, but the big one is the Epstein files, and Marjorie Taylor Green has really championed the release of the Epstein files and has supported trying to compel the Department of Justice to release all the details that it possibly can.
Speaker 1: Democrats released a bunch of Epstein emails last week, and then Trump indicated that he's supportive now of release of more. Where are those files at now, Joe, I mean, we talk about the Epstein files, God knows how many of them there are. Are we actually now talking about the release of the kind of documents that Marjorie Taylor Green and her supporters want to see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so there's an Epstein Act now which is going to be voted on in the House setting out exactly all the sorts of documents that they want to see released. So this is what Marjorie Taylor Green wants. She supports this particular piece of legislation. Donald Trump, of course, tried really hard to prevent this bell from going to a vote. Donald Trump, at the last minute, despite trying to prevent the vote, has felt that he's needed to backflip, and he is now encouraged Republicans in the House to support this act. So this is an eleventh hour reversal designed to ensure that the Republicans who were likely to support this bill en mass would not be seeing as a defying him. That was the outcome that Trump desperately wanted to avoid. And clearly, I think Marjorie Taylor Green had become a symbol of this defiance from Republicans, and I think probably what made it all the more galling for Donald Trump is that Marjorie Taylor Green has been such a strong champion of America first, and I think he probably didn't want to see someone else laying claim to a portion of his Maga constituency.
Speaker 1: Well, he says, in fact, that Maga is him. You know that he created it.
Speaker 2: And forget Mago was my idea. Mega was nobody else's idea. I know what Maga wants better than anybody else, and Maga wants to see our country thrive.
Speaker 1: This has gotten Napoleonic vibes about it, I think, Joe, what is the truth? Now? Do you think about the making America Great Again idea and movement? Is it still closely associated with Donald Trump? Is it right for him to say that this is his or has it now grown beyond him into a political movement that he can't control?
Speaker 3: Well, I think two things can be true at the same time. Clear, So I think Donald Trump is instrumental in developing this really influential political movement in America, and he's really proud of this. He've viewsed this as one of his great achievements, and you've seen that in his comments recently where he said it was his idea. I mean, he honestly feels that he can dictate the passions of this movement and then harness that movement to really advance his own political interests. So he is concerned that he retains that ability, retains control over that movement. So this is a new and powerful coalition he's managed to pull together. But Trump won't be around forever, and so there is an issue now about what happens to this political constituency after Trump. You know, what does the magabase look like in a post Trump world? And this happens more quickly than you might think. So, we have the midterms next year. Things aren't looking that good for Donald Trump. It's usual that the administration loses the House. In fact, in recent memory, it's only been George W. Bush in two thousand and two that managed to hold the House in the midterms. So if things don't go well for Trump, we really are talking about this new phase of politics coming, you know, by the end of next year. Claire, So, I think Donald Trump has this at the back of his mind. I also think it's probably why he continually flirts with this idea of a third term, to keep people guessing and ensure that he's seen to have potency and currency. But at some point, I think Donald Trump will address this idea of a succession plan for his movement and who is best to carry the torch of trump Ism into the future. Now what that looks like at the moment, I don't know, but I think Donald Trump will be very protective of his legacy.
Speaker 1: Coming up the Big temptation. Donald Trump has fallen victim to one of the insults he's thrown at Marjorie Taylor Green. Apart from traitor and wacky and lunatic, is rhino publican in name only. That kind of made me smile, Joe, because that was one of the insults that Trump and his supporters throughout the old school Republicans, the people who they would have characterized as inside the Beltway, the establishment, you know, the swamp. They talked about draining the swamp. She was elected to Congress in twenty twenty on this wave of trump Ism, But she's different to Trump.
Speaker 4: I mean, is it going to be true that the child pedophilia and the elites and the Washington DC, is that what we're really going to see come out?
Speaker 3: Is it true?
Speaker 4: Is the type of corruption we're going to see come out? Is it going to be Satanic worship that possibly all these people are involved in.
Speaker 1: Marjorie Taylor Grain is a loud and proud anti Semite. She believes in QAnon, you know, conspiracy theories about pedophiles. That obviously feeds her views about Epstein.
Speaker 4: I would say, I would like to say, humbly, I'm sorry for taking part and the toxic politics. It's very bad for our country.
Speaker 1: But what does it tell us about the mood that Trump exploited or created to get himself elected? And this new Donald Trump that we're seeing in his second too, where he is the international peacemaker, he's a statesman. He's acknowledging that Americans can't do all the highly skilled jobs that are needed for sophisticated manufacturing, for example.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's right, Claire. So Donald Trump took over the Republican Party and he's reshaped it. He's purged the party, and he's managed to do that incredibly effectively, and effectively rule over the Republicans in Congress with a bit of an iron fist. And actually he's been very critical of the old establishment of Republicans. I was at an event only a few months ago, a National Conservative conference, where the United States Trade Representative Jamison Greer really unleashed on the George W. Bush era, saying that families in America got left behind, they misjudged the China trade relationship and the China threat. And I was struck by how ferocious that criticism was. So this was really an internal revolution of the Republican Party on the conservative side of politics. I think what makes Marjorie Taylor Green so interesting is that she is part of that movement. So this is a rift within, really within that new remaking of the Republican Party that Donald Trump has overseen, and I think that's why he's been clearly so engaged and singling her out by name and numerous posts on his truth social platform. He wants to ensure that he is the one who has seen to be the true representative of the movement. But you made this point about some of the decisions that Trump has made. Now, I think it's a case of him getting mugged by reality a little bit. We are seeing him recalibrate his political strategy now, Claire. So he's back down on some of his reciprocal tariffs because they were increasing prices for everyday Americans. So he's tried to seize control over the political agenda. The Epstein reversal is an example of that. His decision on tariffs is an example of that, and his public criticism of Marjorie Taylor Green is also another criticism of that. I'd add one final comment, which is Trump's interest in hosting foreign leaders. I think is very much in keeping with his view of the role of the United States president, and I think that's one of the things that he very much likes about the job. All the foreign leaders coming to pay tribute and kiss the ring and unveil their various offerings to him on an effort to try and ensure that relations remain as steady as they possibly can so while he had the American First agenda, I think that this is always one of the perks, or rather, I should say challenges, of the job that he's always been attracted to.
Speaker 1: Joe Kelly is The Australian's Washington DC correspondent. You can read all Joe's analysis and reporting, plus the best from around the world, right now at the Australian dot com dot au