Speaker 1: The People's Republic of China carried out what is believed to be the largest compromise of election data in history, resulting in China's illicit acquisition of two hundred and twenty million US voter files.
Speaker 2: In the East Room of the White House, Donald Trump makes an extraordinary accusation of election interference, claiming Beijing had illegally obtained the voter files of two hundred and twenty million Americans. He also accuses US intelligence agencies of hiding the extent of China's activity.
Speaker 1: Members of the deep state, very very famous group of people, many cases in our intelligence agency work to actively suppress and downplay information about the extent of China's sinister election medaling.
Speaker 2: Later, Trump claims a homeland security review had found around two hundred and seventy eight thousand non citizens registered to vote.
Speaker 1: Even this limited analysis found more than a quarter of a million foreigners illegally registered to vote. Put together, these disclosers reveal an election system so broken and so vulnerable that no one can possibly defend it.
Speaker 2: Trump's motivation, critics say, is to so doubt ahead of the upcoming midterm elections, which he has already made several attempts to reshape, from redrawing maps to restricting voting to firing the entire Electoral Commission. I'm Ruby Jones, and you're listening to seven Am Today staff writer at The Atlantic David A. Graham on Trump's campaign to tilt the midterms and what he could still do before, during, and after election day. It's Friday, July twenty four, David, Donald Trump recently delivered a pretty unusual primetime address from the White House. He said that China had stolen voter information and that intelligence officials were covering up election interference. Take me through to begin with the claims that he was making there.
Speaker 3: So there's a mix of things.
Speaker 4: Some of them are claims that are based on real evidence that he was exaggerating. So, you know, he talked about China and other countries trying to interfere, but overstated what.
Speaker 1: They've done two hundred and twenty million US voter files. That information includes names, addresses, phone numbers.
Speaker 5: We do not know where the presidents got those numbers from, and we should point out to our viewers that US intelligence found no evidence of Chinese meddling in the twenty twenty election.
Speaker 4: You know, there's heavily redected documents that the White House provided, but they don't really clearly back up what he said.
Speaker 2: ABC News reviewed the documents and found they describe efforts to obtain, not alter, voter records.
Speaker 6: Many voter records can already be legally obtained from states.
Speaker 4: In some cases, he exaggerated other things. So he claimed a great deal of attempts to fraudulently register to vote in the state of Michigan. This is something that is true, but it's something that was found out at the time and has been referred for prosecution. Some of the things are innuendo or he didn't have the evidence to back it up. So it's a mix of vague claims and things that are simply not true.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: And so there was this one claim that two hundred and seventy eight thousand non citizens were registered to vote. Trump hasn't provided any.
Speaker 3: Evidence for that.
Speaker 2: So why is he telling this story though? What does he want Americans to believe about the upcoming election?
Speaker 4: I think there are three things going on. One is this kind of fearmongering about immigrants is part of Trump's core political appeal and has been for a decade. Part of it is Trump, I think, has never fully gotten over losing the twenty twenty election, nor has he really made peace with the idea that although he won the presidency in twenty sixteen, he did not win the popular vote. And so a lot of these things are sort of designed to make some excuse or to claim that in fact, he did win those elections and he won the popular vote. I think he is also trying to lay the ground work to contest or to cast out on the twenty twenty sixth election. So all of these are things that might convince people that the system doesn't work, or that the wrong people are voting, or that somehow something is going wrong and they can't trust the results.
Speaker 2: And tell me about the relevance of this happening before the midterms, the timing here, and what changes is Trump hoping to be able to put into place.
Speaker 3: Trump has had a kind of long standing attempt to do a bunch of things.
Speaker 6: The President signing an executive order directing his administration to create a list of confirmed US citizens eligible to vote in each state, and to ban the Postal Service from mailing voter's ballots unless they are on a state's official absentee voter list.
Speaker 4: He has issued these executive orders that tell states, you know, when they can count votes and how they can count votes, which are things that he doesn't have the power as the president to do.
Speaker 6: The order requires voters to show documents proving their citizenship in order to register to vote in federal elections, and it demands all ballots be received by election day.
Speaker 4: He has gone after some of the governmental panels that sort of assist with elections, whether that's cybersecurity or just general procedure. He has attempted to acquire voter roles from a bunch of states, suing the states to try to demand this information.
Speaker 7: I'm going of Justice file a lawsuit against Washington's Secretary of State, Steve Hobbs. The DOJ wants a federal judge to compel the state to hand over voters full names, dates of birth, residential addresses, and even their state driver's license numbers or the last.
Speaker 3: Four digits of their Social Security numbers.
Speaker 4: And he's also pressed Congress to pass a law they would overhaul some of the way voting works, and in particular, it would require voters to provide proof of citizenship in order to register to vote.
Speaker 3: And that's something that has.
Speaker 4: Passed the House but has been stuck in the Senate, and he has been very frustrated by his inability to get them to get it any further. They think that this law is too sweeping and wouldn't solve the problem if you talk about providing proof of citizenship. First of all, there is no problem. There is not widespread non citizen voting, and there have been years of efforts to try to find it and it has not produced evidence that this is a widespread problem, certainly not on the scale to change elections. And I think some of these senators are hearing from Republican election officials back home in there are states who are saying, we don't have the time or the wherewithal to do this before the November election. If we try to switch into system now, it will create really serious chaos and be a problem.
Speaker 3: And I think they're elected to do that, which is good.
Speaker 2: Okay, Can we talk a little bit more about the voter roles, Because these roles they have private information that's not normally made public. So what are the kind of fears here around the administration demanding that data.
Speaker 3: I think there are a couple of things.
Speaker 4: One is privacy as you say, this is full of identifiable information, social security numbers, addresses, all sorts of other things, and it's not clear how the federal government would store this information, what sort of information security it has. I think, you know, it's a sort of basic privacy concern in that respect. And as it related to that, some voter advocates are afraid that this will intimidate people into not wanting to vote or not wanting to register to vote. The other question is what they will do with this in terms of non citizen voting. So we have seen in the past efforts to match voter roles against other databases to prove that there are you know, tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands, or who knows how many ineligible voters who are voting. And we've seen this happen a bunch of times. There are a lot of claims about this, and every time this happens, it ultimately turns out that claims are overstated to the point where there is almost no evidence of non citizen voting or non citizen registration. It'll be false matches and bad data. And so the big concern is that that's what will happen again once again, there'll be a claim of many non citizens voting, and actually it won't be true at all.
Speaker 2: Okay, wait and see on that. What other avenues are still open to Trump ahead of election day in terms of trying to exert influence.
Speaker 4: So he's continuing to try to get Congress to pass this Save America Act, which seems like it won't work, but you never can tell. I think he can continue this effort to so doubt and to make people think that the elections are not safe. He can continue to try to bully state authorities or demand voter roles from them. Then the question is what happens on election day and afterwards. And I've talked to a number of experts who are concerned that the government might send out armed troops or armed federal law enforcement in ways they would interfere with people voting. Whether that was sort of just like an intimidation factor or actually getting in the way of polling places, nobody really knows.
Speaker 3: It's kind of speculative, but that is a concern.
Speaker 2: Would that be legal doing that?
Speaker 3: It would not be legal.
Speaker 4: The law says you cannot send armed men to a polling place except in case of.
Speaker 3: An insurrection, So the worries. Maybe there's a workaround.
Speaker 4: Maybe Trump sends troops into the streets, as we saw in cities for immigration purposes over the last few months, and that achieved the same effect, even though it's not ostensibly to mess with polling places. The other question is, you know, we've seen Trump do things where he kind of bends the law and waits to see if somebody stops him, and it's not clear who would stop him in the circumstance, or if they could do it quickly enough. If we're talking about election day, where things move quickly.
Speaker 2: Coming up, could Trump's team smooth the way to overturn the election results? David, you mentioned the twenty twenty election result. Trump wanted to overturn that at the time, but officials in his own administration resisted those How much has changed since then in terms of the people that Trump has surrounded himself with and who is in the position to make those decisions now.
Speaker 4: I think, for one thing, he has many people around him who are not willing to tell him no, people who don't have the same sort of buy into the old system that some of those officials did, and who are sort of more on board with the Trump movement, so those people are less likely to stop Trump. He has brought many people who were election deniers twenty twenty into positions of power, including in the Department of Home and Security overseeing election integrity.
Speaker 3: There's also been changes at the state.
Speaker 4: Level that I think are important in the local level, where people who are Trump affiliated or Trump supporters have entered these local offices and these state offices, and so they have power that they didn't have six years ago. And some of the Republicans at the state level who stood up to Trump have left office or have been defeated by Trump supporting candidates. So there are a lot fewer safeguards all around than there were in that election.
Speaker 2: And what about after the election or what avenues are there for people to challenge the count or delay certification ultimately effect who is elected.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so there are a bunch of things.
Speaker 4: You know, we always get some level of lawsuits challenging results, and this is what we saw in twenty twenty. And for the most I mean that worked. We saw a bunch of lawsuits they didn't have evidence, they lost in court, so that we saw that process or function the way it's supposed to. Even if many of these lawsuits were spurious. One of the things that we heard talk about in twenty twenty. Later there was a discussion inside the administration about potentially seizing voting machines, and that's something we've heard more about. I think that would be a real danger. It would make it hard for people to know to trust the count. We wouldn't be able, we would have sort of a chain of custody for ballots, and so we wouldn't know really who won or whether we could believe the results.
Speaker 3: I think that is a danger.
Speaker 4: We could also see Trump, you know, trying to prosecute election officials for not doing what he wanted, and I think we're likely to see him pressuring officials in the way he did in twenty twenty, you know, calling up officials and saying they needed to find votes for him.
Speaker 3: He did that in twenty twenty.
Speaker 4: He didn't really face any consequences for it, and so I would expect he would try something like that again if you thought it would be helpful for him.
Speaker 2: Okay, And I suppose that goes to this bigger idea here, which is that sure, some of these measures might work, some might not, some might get blocked, but ultimately, the idea that a president can or or should be able to influence election outcomes. I mean, that wasn't something that existed before twenty.
Speaker 3: Twenty, right exactly.
Speaker 4: I mean it's meant to be that a president can politic, but they shouldn't be.
Speaker 3: Interfering with the results.
Speaker 4: And here we have him threatening to or in the past, you know, going into parts of the government where he has no statutory authority, trying to get officials to do things that are illegal and that don't match up to the evidence, and you know, undermining general faith. And I think that the twenty twenty six elections are a difficult one for Trump to influence in a serious way. A presidential election is, you know, it's kind of fifty separate elections, but there's kind of one big event. But a congressional election is we have four hundred and thirty five House seats. It's very hard to interfere with a lot of those and switch the result unless it's really close, unless it's a margin of you know, two and three and five votes her seats. So I think that makes it hard for Trump to materially impact the result. But I think there's a lot of ways for him to create mischief and to do things that are improper and possibly illegal.
Speaker 2: Well, David, thank you so much for your type my pleasure. Also in the news, Pauline Hanson says her comments on domestic violence have been deliberately taken out of context by the media. The One Nation leader has been widely condemned, accused of victim blaming for saying women who were subject to abuse shouldn't put up with it and that it's a two way street.
Speaker 8: Well, it is wrong, but it's also a two way street. But I'm not saying that some just men and women can lose their cruel as well.
Speaker 2: Hanson insists people should listen to the full interview and Australian workers will be able to escalate workplace disputes like underpayment claims to a new Fair Work Court. The Prime Minister has announced the reinstatement of the Specialist Workers' Court for the first time since John Howard abolished the last one almost thirty years ago. He says the court will be headed by expert judges in consultation with the Fair Work Commission. Its aim is to resolve workplace disputes faster and at lower costs. I'm ruby Jones. This is seven AM. Thanks for listening.