Speaker 1: Good day, Tim, it's Harps, it's Melissa, it's Samuel, and what a fucking day. I'm very excited. Well, I've got to say something. Is like, firstly, let's say hi to Sam. Hi, Sam, Hi?
Speaker 2: What were you saying?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm going to say this, Hi, melessa, Hi are you good?
Speaker 2: Ah? So good?
Speaker 1: Now you know what I'm going to say because I told you so. I'm a dumb ass. Everyone you know that. But this is what happens. So we do a show every day and I'm doing a PhD and I'm doing corpus, but I do a lot of shit, right, But and I don't get the guests. Melissa and Tiff and THEA get the guests. And I just saw Samuel's name come through, and I went, this is what I saw Samuel's name, which is of course Samuel Johnson, but who I pictured in my mind was Samuel L. Jackson. I'm like, how the fuck did they get him? And then I went, oh, no, that's the other dude. That's oh yeah, So mate, for a moment, you were a major world, world beating Hollywood block bust a fucking superstar coming on my show.
Speaker 2: I remember in the old days, I had a weekly job at Fox FFM all of their teasers and trailers for all of their radio stations all around the country once a week, and wow, I just went once a week to have my regular gig there. And the lift opened and I walked straight into this very tall person and I looked up and it was Samuel L. Jackson and he was being looked after by a guy called Bag. He was the same guy that used to look after me, Like I knew Bag really well, and so Bag saw an opportunity there, so he went, oh, oh, Samuel Old Jackson, Samuel L. Johnson, and thought he was being really funny. And I went, ah, hi and put my hand out and shook Samuel L. Jackson's hand and he lent in. He went yeah, keep trying, and I was like, oh man. He was like, was he taking the piss? He must have been taking the piss, because he guess he had his whole team raiding the match and all that kind of stuff, and I thought, I think he was taking the piece. And I looked back to see whether he was taking the piss just before the lift doors closed, after the merchant has gotten and he looked at me and gave me a big wink. He was clearly taking the piss by saying, yeah, keep trying. He was saying, yeah, what a wink this is. I thought for a second he was being an asshole, but he was being totally tank cheek.
Speaker 1: Who's the most famous person? Most famous person that you've had a chat with?
Speaker 2: The royal? One of the royals. I can't remember the name of the royal. It was like it was some unreal someone famous and and like I went to this event at Government House and the royals were meant to be having like they were meant to be having an hour off all of their official duties with young people. And I got invited to this thing, and so I was there with guy Sebastian and we were going, well, what are we doing here? You know, this is kind of weird, and that the royal person was allowed to spend five minutes with everybody in the room and five minutes only, and they had minders and timekeepers and all kinds of things. That was their informal get together with young people. And so I went and hid because I didn't want to talk to him, because I didn't really know what to say. And so I went and hid, and I started looking at all the paintings around the place, and so I was like three rooms away and security rushed up to me, and I thought I was in the wrong area, and they said, no, no, no, the royal wants to speak to you. He wants to speak to you personally about what you've done. Can you please come with me? And so I was made to have this conversation with this royal. And the first thing he said to me it was I think, I don't know, it was I think Harry or like it was. It was a famous, like male.
Speaker 1: Royal, You're the worst fucking monarchist in the world. It's like, yeah, one of the royals.
Speaker 2: And the first thing he said to me was, Jeesu, your balls must be sore. And I thought, wow, a royal person just said balls. Because I just finished my unicycle right around the country. I've spent three hundred and sixty four days at top of one wheeler and I had to go to government House and meet this fancy pants man who wanted to speak to me because of what I'd done. And so we talked for about ten minutes about house. All my balls were.
Speaker 1: Fuck.
Speaker 2: So maybe he was the most famous person. Maybe even though I don't know his name.
Speaker 1: How were your balls after three hundred and sixty four days of smashing them on one of the one of those tiny little seats on top of what very tender.
Speaker 2: The first hundred and one hundred or so days we it was really painful because my undercarriage broke, and so I was putting all kinds of cream on and doing all those kinds of things. And it wasn't until I got to Darwin, which was after like over one hundred days, and I met this guy from the army and he said, no, you no, throw out the creams now, you're not going to fix it that way. Every time you have a break, take your pants off, point your ass at the sun, dry it out. You'll be fine. So for the next kind of two weeks, whenever I had a scheduled break, i'd go off into a field and you know, maintain a modicum of privacy and take my pants off and point my bum at the sun. And after I did that for two weeks, my undercarriage dried and it was okay. Having said that, the pain started in that area, in the groinal area. The pain started after about twenty seconds, and I was spending about eight to ten hours a day on the thing. So my common mancha was, well, at least it's not cancer. I'm not dying a cancer. My sister was dying a cancer at the time, and so so I had that in my head just all the time, every day, like so there was no such thing as sortball. So it was it was kind of half denialism, and it was it was half really good reality checking that it wasn't cancer.
Speaker 1: Now, the two words to come out of that, kids, if you're taking notes, are groinal not a word, and denihalism also not a word. But thanks to Samuel, we're going to push them out of the literary nest and they're going to become words out there in the world.
Speaker 2: Hey Craig, Hey Craig, Hey Craig, Before you move on, I've got one for you. I'm ready to shabarkle a shabarkle. It's a chamozel and a debarcle. It's really bad. It's a chamozel and a debarkle a shabarkle. I'm really proud of that.
Speaker 1: What if you integrated what if you into those two with clusterfuck. I'll let you get back to me on that.
Speaker 2: As sebak or fuck, oh that's funny, mate.
Speaker 1: Who does anyone I know people call you Sam? But does anyone in your family friends circle call you Samuel these days or what's the.
Speaker 2: Years? No, we live in Australia. We shorten everything and we add o's and stuff. I'd love to be called Samuel, and Samuel is my preference, and indeed it is my stage name, but I get called Sam. I used to keep the difference because if someone yelled out, hey, Samuel, I knew that they'd seen me on the tally. But if someone yelled out hey Sam, I knew that they were a friend. Yeah. So that was why I initially liked having a distinction. I now commonly so because we've got about nine hundred thousand people in our village that hate cancer. And now I commonly sign. I commonly sign because it's very personalized. I write a lot to a lot of people, and I commonly sign it Sam now. So so I suppose I'm Sam now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like it. Well, I have not I'm definitely not you, but I have. There's three levels. So there's Craig Harper, right, and then there's people around about, you know, people that know me friends, followers, listeners call me Harps, and then my family and close friends call me Craigo. You're exactly right when you say we shorten it. It's like you can't shorten Craig, so you've got to whack an o on the end of it, and you just become greg O. And like, there are people in my life who have never ever called me anything but Craigo, and if those people called me Craig or Harps, it would be completely fucking weird.
Speaker 2: Does Melissa get called mel to call you mal? Or is it a Melissa thing?
Speaker 3: I'm not that fussy. Welcome to call me whatever, But yeah, a lot of people just assume that it's a mal So I get mail a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Just what do you prefer?
Speaker 3: I really don't have that much.
Speaker 2: Of a preference.
Speaker 3: Probably Melissa, just because I'm although sometimes it depends who it's coming from, because sometimes I feel like I'm in trouble if I get Melissa. So, yeah, don't really have too much of a preference.
Speaker 1: I'm going to go.
Speaker 2: I call my partner of ten years, my greatest inconvenience, that's my that's my way of telling her that I love her, and that would not be funny unless it was not due at all, Like if she was at all inconvenient, it wouldn't be funny at all, and it'd just be an awshole thing to say. But I think it's important to have, it's important to think about. Obviously, that's not all like call her like we heep adoration on each other. I don't want you to get the wrong idea. But it's it's funny, isn't it How we can play with language so much and calling call people so many different things. Like for example, when people say how are you, there are standard replies like can't complain or or people can say how I am, and I can say, oh, well, there's no justifiable course for complaint, and I'll get a laugh out of that. I get people more involved by saying the same thing but in a different way. And it's you know, like I already want to call you Melbow because because I want to be the guy that calls you Melbow. Like it's funny this whole kind of naming and making ship up thing, because I proved, didn't I Craig with the Shabako thing, that you can do what you want with what you give one.
Speaker 1: I think you know that, especially Australians, we're a bit loose with words. We're not we're not renowned for our grammar.
Speaker 2: We're not renowned for much.
Speaker 1: No we're not. We're not, you know. But but having having that silliness too, and that cheekiness about it, you know, like you've been through some shit, You've been through lots of shit, and like you know, and we've never met until today. But what I love about you. I feel like I'm pissing in your pocket now, which is very UnAustralian, But is that, you know, sometimes just laughing at stuff or laughing at yourself. It doesn't mean you're not feeling, you're not hurting, doesn't mean you're putting your head in the sand, doesn't mean you're not acknowledging the shit that's going on. But focusing on and dwelling in the negativity rather than saying, all right, well, I know what's going on, this is not good, this is bad. What can I do? What can I do about it? Or what can I do to help that person? Or what can I do to help myself? Like I think Ozzie's are pretty good at that kind of dragging others up and dragging ourselves up when we want to or when.
Speaker 2: We we're also very good at told Poppy, but is important for all of us, especially during adversity. When my sister was dying, I kept going, come on, hurry up, that's been seven years, he said, six months, six to twelve months, seven years ago. You've got like my time's important, like like completely take the this out of her dying. And then when the Governor General comes to her to her palliative care center posthumously, and my sister wasn't going to make it to Australia days. So the Governor General drove himself to my sister's palliative care place and gave her a medal of the Order of Australia and get this for her services to research, which is fine, but wait this at the end and humanity. So as soon as the Honorable Sir Peter Cosgrove left us, we cracked up and we thought, oh geez, hasn't she got up in the world. Oh humanity, not just cancer research, but humanity. And then my sister kind of leaned back her head as much as she could and she said for services to research and humanity this royal wave and we laughed and we made jokes about humanitan and how grand it all was, and then she closed her eyes and she died, and we had an absolute rainbow there towards the end. I suppose. I think humor plays a valuable role no matter where we at in life. And it's great if you feel naturally light and funny and you're having a good day, that's great. But learning how to laugh when someone's dying, I've heard, you know. I remember when my girlfriend committed suicide. I remember, I remember her mum got really paranoid about her other two kids. I was going to take them swimming in a lake, and commonly one CHILDI year dies at that lake. There are mindshafts at the bottom of it. It gets very cold. Professional swimmers have been taken by this lake. This is a real danger. And so mum was really really anxious that she'd loosen another child because she just lost her daughter. I was the daughter's boyfriend, and she kept carrying on about how I can't even blink, like I can't even turn my back. Got to watch them the whole and after about ten minutes, I said, don't worry, Kim, I won't kill anymore of your kids, and she just and she went, you didn't just say that, I said, I went, I fucking did. I just said that, Oh my god, And we had a big laugh about it. Now, obviously it's something you can't say, and she chose to laugh about it, thankfully. And humor can be misused, and someone like me then could try to be funny at a time where humor is not acceptable. But I have heard lots of stories from lots of people. Because I've personally digested over one hundred thousand cancer stories, I've heard a lot of stories about people that rely very heavily on their sense of humor during dark times.
Speaker 1: And that's the thing, mate, There's see. The thing is that what one person will find funny, someone else will find curious, someone else will find offensive someone else you know. But there's that, there's this thing that you have. Like I've watched a fair bit of you and heard a fair bit of you, and I watched today, which is silly, but I watched today that interview that you did with Pete Hellier last year on the project, and I watched it about three or four times in a row, and I just thought, like, you are, You've got this high level of social and emotional intelligence and situational awareness. You've got this fucking brilliant timing, Like you said things to Pete Hellier that if it was another interviewer talking about the same stuff for the same show, but another person, you wouldn't have said those things. Now, clearly he's a dick ed like you, So it's okay you can say dick ed things right, And I mean that in a loving way, but.
Speaker 2: I chose very carefully. That was my first media chat after a serious brain injury, and so the last thing that all the doctors and experts wanted was for me to seem like I hadn't recovered when I went public. So it was very careful, very carefully managed appearance, and I chose Pete Hallier to talk to, even though Carrie big Moore was much closer to our charity and much closer to me and my sister. I needed the right person to talk to at that time because Carrie would have been earnest and worried about her friend that had an injury, whereas Pete can be curious about it and pull out a gag. And as my sister always said, we vanquished cancer with joy, so we're kind of we're serially positive, but that doesn't mean that we don't take the piece pretty hard. And it is very important in moments like that because there was a lot of paranoia about going public to early, which Molly Meldrim did with his brain injury. He did interviews well before he was able to do them, and it was very important that people still wanted to hire me for work after I talked about it. So I had a conversation with Pete for a number of specific reasons, but I ended up doing his family Feud podcasts and lost my shit completely. Had a giggle fit that lasted maybe five minutes. Like at the end of the day, life's too short not to take the pisce and we've got to like it's not deliberate, but every day, like is there to be filled with laughter if we know how to find it, and if we don't get bogged down by detail, and if we don't take everything really personally, and if we control our emotions, and if we do a number of things and to manage ourselves properly, we can we can end up at the point where we can take the pierce and have a laugh. Because I'm not stressed about my marriage at home because it's not stressful, and we can take the piece and have a laugh. Because that mistake that I made earlier today I have forgiven myself, for I no longer carry around a basket full of whips and self flagellate whenever I make a mistake. Now I make a mistake, I learned from it and I move on. So that's why I think a bit more keen on laughter. As you get older is as you get better at stuff, at that life stuff. It leaves you more room to take the piss. It also helps when you get older. Have you noticed this? People don't give a buck, mate. They don't care. They don't care at all. So you go from being really earnest in your twenties and you care about everything, and you think you matter, and there's some kind of status system and you belong somewhere and you're looking for fucking some kind of fairy tale romance and you're traveling the way you've got no and then by the time you're my age on forty five, you kind of don't care anymore. I'm not saying I don't care anymore, but you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: But I think you know going through the shit that you've been through it. Before I say that, I want to say one other thing that I was thinking about from a neuroscience point of view, Like you're saying on laughter is therapeutic, and it's but it literally is. Though that's not even a figure of speech or an idea like laughter, fun joy, Happiness changes the biochemistry of your brain, changes your immune system, changes your emotions, like changes the way that you think and socialize and process the world. And you know, so like some silliness and some laughter and some bullshit and some irreverence you know obviously right place person time, all of that, but it is it's not metaphorically good for you. It's fucking literally good for your body and your recovery. But literally.
Speaker 2: But then, Craig, you've got humor that you think is funny that actually just demotes and denigrates people, And you think you're just having a laugh and you think you're just being light and but you're in fact burying someone else in the process. So you've got to be careful because humor, just like everything else, can be a weapon. So so like there are things that I find funny that were funny in my generation when I was growing up that are completely not allowed to be funny.
Speaker 1: Now, yeah, true, completely true.
Speaker 2: So your sense of humor has to grow with the times so that I don't end up with my nephews who are in their twenties, so that they can still relate to me and I can still relate to them, because I don't want to end up that old person that is stuck fifty years ago that still thinks it's okay to pinchy secretary on the bum or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Good, no, good point, valid point, you're honor. Yeah, but it is it's context dependent too, and it is you know, you're right, the stuff that we used to laugh at, some stuff can't. Now some stuff is funny when you're in a certain situation, but not in others. But but being able to create joy, you know, consciously, but realize that there's actually a therapeutic benefit to that, not just a feel good momentary thing. All right, So, speaking of your brain and your accident, how's your brain?
Speaker 2: My brain's fully recovered. So seventeen months ago, I was a pedestrian. There was a car didn't go very well at all, hit my head. There's eleven days I'll never remember because I got pta post traumatic amnesia. It didn't get the banks, never got banked. I don't know what happened, but I do remember coming out of PTA, which is a very loopy time. I think they should set a TV show or something in a PTA ward. The nurses say, what happens in PTA stays in PTA. You commonly get your phone confiscated because you call the police because you think you've been kidnapped and you require immediate rescue. The lights and everything's dimmed because you're very sensitive to everything. Wasn't alone. Apparently this is really common. I thought I was in a donut factory and they were all donut tears, and they were trying to turn me into a donut. Because the MRI machine is circular, and it's quite common for brain injury patients to go into the mr I room and think they're being turned into a donut. It's really common. The nurses were like, ah, it's another donut guy. My MRI I said limited study due to patient aggression. It took three days to get an MRI from me because I was convinced they were turning me into a donut, so it kind of I had a heavy Russian accent for a day and a half. I was a small Japanese child aged eleven for about two and a half days. I'm trying to condense it all into one so basically, really quickly. So basically, you go through this really loopy period and then you make a long recovery with a lot of rehab and a lot of doctors. I spent seven weeks seven and a half weeks inside hospital. Then I spent three months at my sister's house because she was central enough to the hospital, and I finally got home after like four or five months. I finally got home and I had my last medical appointment about a month ago.
Speaker 1: Wow do you have Firstly, how are the Russian days? Did you enjoy those?
Speaker 2: I reversed, engineered everything. It made sense. There was a mate I had called Juzzy, and we used to joke about a purple penis in a Russian accent for like six months when we were like nineteen. I could totally remember when I had this heavy Russian accent for six months. When I was eleven, I went to Japan as part of the Asian Pacific Children's Peace Convention. In my brain injury, I was an eleven year old Japanese girl and now, admittedly I was an eleven year old Australian boy who visited Japan when I was eleven, but I could reverse engineer everything so that all of the loopiness kind of made sense. It was just obviously my brain was still working everything out.
Speaker 1: And apparently your family greatly enjoyed that period of time and still reflect on it. The amnesia days.
Speaker 2: I got away with it because my partner, my missus, she was there the whole time, so she's traumatized by but she can't talk to me about it because I can't remember it. And so there's what the medical world says is the golden hour, the hour after your injury. To get good treatment at a hospital within an hour of having a serious injury is really important. They call it the golden hour. I'll never know what my missus did, but she got praised for making that golden hour truly golden. She answered every question very clearly. She didn't cost the medics any time, she didn't let anxieties or fears or emotions affect anything. She was very calm in at crisis, whereas I, you know that fight or freeze or thing like I'll run. It's really scary, like and I won't understand what question they asked me, like, I will just fall to pieces in a similar crisis. So there's an eleven day period that I'm sad that my partner had to go through, and that I'm glad that I didn't have to go through.
Speaker 1: What did they do? You remember what? I don't know if they gave odds, but I'm in bottom line it Did they think you would live or not live?
Speaker 2: No? No, they thought I was I was going to die. So my family got put into the dying room. So there's they give more privacy to families that are probably going to get the bad news. So because we've been in the dying room before with my sister's cancer, my sister and my partner knew what the dying room was. So they got taken to a private room with a fridge and a television and a sofa to sit on. And that was when they told that that they were told that I was tanking in emergency, that I arrived quite well and was going downhill fast. And it was a classic near death experience because many of the medics didn't think I'd make it through the night. I was touch and go. So it was a true near death.
Speaker 1: Experience, and your brain would correct me if I'm wrong. But your brain was somewhat protected because you shielded your brain with your face, So your face took Yeah, so your face took the brunt, and you broke your skull. You broke your face, and you've got fractures in your.
Speaker 2: Neck right right. And they found like the ground, glass in my lungs, which is how I knew my face must have protected my head somewhat because obviously a face planted a windscreen if they found glass inside my lungs. So, and my right side was pretty cactus so i'd clearly, I don't know what happened, I'd clearly borne the brunt. So now, so that's the accident side, and this side's pretty okay.
Speaker 1: So philosophical question, mate, how, if any like, how has it I'm sure it has, But how has it changed the way that you think or the way that you express or love or connect with others or your like your worldview? How has it changed you?
Speaker 2: It's changed me in a number of ways. I'm going to keep it really sure. It's made me more grateful for today. And I was grateful for today before the accident, and I didn't think that that could be bettered. It was. It made me calm. I was less anxious, less worried about being late, less concerned over trivialities or small things, stopped fighting with my partner, entirely, changed enough to the point where people who are close to me have said to me, what the fuck happened to you? Like like a lot of so I was really highly strungt now I'm just energetic. Like it's pressure and stress and anxiety and depression and drug use. And you know, this diagnosis of bipolar because my mum committed suicide, so that thought I might have that it all kind of built up, and this showbiz thing and then having heaps of money, it all kind of contributed towards making me pretty fucked up. And then I slowly started to address everything. I went and saw a dragon alcohol counselor, I went and saw a psych. I went and did a couple of different charity things. Before love Sis, I was a volunteer on the Open Family Youth bus every second Friday. So I started doing things that I knew would be good for me because it was a constant fight with the devil of base hedonism. And then gradually gradually over the course of two two and a half decades. I managed to get to this point, but the accident accelerated my progress. So I had already done the work. I didn't have an accident, and then I was magically different. But there are a lot of things that are at different levels since the accident that markedly like I've been stressed out twice since the accident seventeen months ago, once about being late for an appointment I didn't realize I had, and once about being in the wrong lane and worrying about oncoming traffic. And I checked that anger or that frustration or that exasperation. That was a real spike in everything. I dealt with that really well. So normally, historically that would have been enough to send me on a spiral downward. Now it's a rare occurrence and I deal with it quickly and I'll move on.
Speaker 1: Is it when you're like you said, you like all your TV stuff, movies, stage stuff, your broad massive profile around, doing all the great charity fundraising stuff, philanthropic stuff, like you know most Australians know you like you live in a country of twenty five million people, and probably twenty million people know who you are. They might not know you well, but they know your name. They know you right. And like you said, high profile, lots of dough, lots of good shit going on, lots of people love you, lots of people want to talk to you, hang around you, stroke your ego, tell you fucking awesome and all of that. Is it hard in the middle of all of that to not be a dickhead?
Speaker 2: No, because people who get swept up in that kind of stuff tend not to survive in that industry. So in twenty five years in showbiz, I only really met two cockheads, and apart from that they are a really, really good people. So the use of drugs and alcohol in showbiz is much much lower than the use of drugs and alcohol are in trades, for example. So if you want to talk about dysfunction and drugs and alcohol and that kind of scene, you'd probably be more interested in having a conversation with someone that's on a work site. It's a very professional environment and kids on home and away might do a bit of blowing the toilets at the logis, but it's not a good look. It's it's really not a good look. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen. But I don't think it's particularly rampant compared to some other industries, And I think it suffers a little reputationally because the people that do have a slide or a slip like For example, I'll use myself as an example. I was a thug for many years because at a casino a guy had done something to my girlfriend. I told him he couldn't do it. He put me down three times. I ended up going right, I've been put down three times. I've got to do something. I got the guy down. I stumped him in the head. You do not stomp people in the head. You do not hit a person when they are down. You do I was a thug for ten years because of that. You know, you are nothing but a measure of how you respond to the mistakes that you make. And I'm in a constant battle, as I said before, with the base hedonism, to try not to become that person. So a lot of what I've done in terms of my community work is so that I'm not an asshole. Because if I didn't concentrate and work really hard on the community stuff, I don't trust that i'd make the right decisions. And I don't trust that I'd be the kind of citizen that you'd be happy to have on your podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that, mate. I mean for me, that's kind of having that's part of the having a purpose bigger than yourself and a focus bigger than yourself, you know, which is what you've done for very long. We did have We have had a We have had a man on a couple of times whose first name is Axel and second seconds and the second name is Whitehead, who did make a public mistake and it's well known, and we spoke about him getting his wizzer out at the ARIA Awards or something. Well that didn't that didn't give his career any kind of positive boost. But you know, he said, I grew up in the country and I was pissed, and I'm like, Yep, probably shouldn't have done it. Though he's like, Yep, definitely should have. But he's going all right now. But I think it took him a good ten years to turn that around.
Speaker 2: I got filmed on a balcony having sex with a stripper Tuesday Times. Inside, I was rather flash that it wasn't the greatest moment, and it was about Dawn I've been up all night. I've been on a lot of stuff too. It was New Year's Eve and I got filmed on the balcony in a very compromising position, not flattering at all, and that got put on the internet in the early days of the internet, and I rang up my best friend. My best friend rang up me and said, oh, I've seen this video. I was young, I had a girlfriend at home, and I obviously made a huge error. And my best friend said she had handled everything up until that point. She said, yeah, even I couldn't watch it like it was that bad. It was that bad. So you know, like I've just talked about two moments that are completely bad. There was the fight that I got into at the casino with that guy. There was that stripper on that balcony. In the early days and for years, when I did an interview on radio, the computer would light up and they'd read what the listeners said to me, and it was, come and get this thug off air. Why have you got him on our radio station? You know? Like, and now I'm a popular cancer boy like it, just like, I don't really care what anyone thinks of me. I'm just doing my best. And I make a lot of mistakes, and I try and learn from them. And if people are going to call me a thug because I kicked a guy in the head in the casino once, well they weren't there and they don't know what he did. So really, and if people want to think that I'm a really good brother of the year fucking cancer Vanquisher, then that's simplistic too, because they're ignoring the mistakes and the shitty things that I've done as well. And that's why I think it's important to have role models, not idols.
Speaker 1: Definitely, can I ask when when did you stop? I don't like this term, but clean and cyber like, when was the last time you used or boozed?
Speaker 2: So so my dragon alcohol counselor called me a poly user, so as we know, that means I used everything, So I wasn't addicted to one thing. I just used everything. So I've been dealing with that my whole life. I'm not going to I'm not going to peddle some redemptive narrative. I don't think life is that simple, and I don't think there are neat little bows to these things, and I don't think I don't believe in closure, and I don't think. I don't think you went from one to the other. And I know people that would say that your storyline isn't redemptive at all, so who have had firsthand experience with said problem. So you know how alcoholics say, you know, I haven't had a drink for two hundred days, but I'm an apology. It's like I'm I started with harmonimization and a lot of therapy, and I'm very pleased with my usage now. It's very very occasional, and very social and not even a blip on the radar. I'm not worried about it at all. It took me a long time to do that, a lot of efforts. I remember my girlfriend fifteen years ago. Her name was Sarah. You know, every time I went past a BWS, it stood for be with Sarah. Be with Sarah, be with Sarah. If I went in there and I grabbed a fucking roll out of Jim beamcans, I couldn't be with Sarah. Her parents were alcoholic. She didn't need another alcoholic in the house. She had a child in that house. I had to behave. So, you know, it's something that I used to focus on very intently and something that I fortunately I don't have to focus on now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good for you man. Well, if you're in control, it's not in control. That's a good thing. Yeah, tell us give us some an insight into the lovely Uh look at you niggering.
Speaker 2: She's automatically going to be really pissed off because she's lived in the shadow. It's quite happily for ten years. In fact, she hasn't allowed me to talk about her at all. So it's not that I'm hiding the fact that I've had a girlfriend. It's just that she doesn't like it at all. So she takes when we do fundraisers, she's behind the camera and she takes photos of us out of respect. I'm going to say very little about her because that is what I believe she would prefer. But what I will say is that is that I don't think that I've met a bigger EmPATH. Oh wow, wow, I don't think so. I know who comes second, and there's there's a big margin between them. I mean, some people are compassionate and caring and some people are very I don't know whether to say empathetic or empathic. I don't know what's correct, but she cares for people. She taught me so much about how to care properly, and I call it in my head, I call it practical caring because because you can, you can think someone's a legend and they cannot know that. You have to learn how to demonstrate your care as well, and she has that down to a fine art. And her heart gets broken at the smallest of things, and I think that's that's part of the price that a true EmPATH pays.
Speaker 1: Did she without a stop talking about her after this? But just one curiosity after your accident, did she have PTSD or a version of it? You know that must have been bloody because she saw what you didn't see.
Speaker 2: Yes. Yeah, I've given her numbers of counselors to speak to that are separate to me, because it's recommended that she doesn't talk to me about it because I'm not the best person for her to talk about it, and this whole hat before she calls that number. So she she carries around a lot of her demons privately, and she's not interested in sharing her trauma because she doesn't want to make anything harder for other people, because she's truly empathic. So I don't think she's doing herself the world of good because you know how Atlas carries the whole world on his shoulder, like it's I think I think some empaths end up doing that, and they end up they end up tired and sore and broken because they forgot to care for themselves. But they refuse to care for themselves because other people are so much more important to them. So it's it's so all you can do is is admire and love people like that, because they're always going to carry kilograms differently to the way that you carry them. I'm quite good at carrying Makilo's i've got fuck or baggage. It's great. But I imagine that she's the up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well God bless her. Hey, just before we let you go, mate, so what are you doing now? What are you up to? What's on the work schedule? What's what's exciting you? What's lighting you up? What are we going to see?
Speaker 2: You do?
Speaker 1: Be creating the future?
Speaker 2: All right, I'm going to keep this real quick A promise.
Speaker 1: No, I may take your time. We fucking love you.
Speaker 2: I've already taken too much of your time. Okay. So when my sister got sick ten years ago. We put her on the traditional treatment. It's the way we treat cancer. We put them on the drug most likely to work. But it takes three months of administering that drug before we can see how effective it is, before we can see whether it's having any demonstrable effect on the size of the tumor. If it's not working, we call it a false line of treatment after three months, and we move on to the drug next most likely to succeed. In my sister's case, the first line of treatment failed, the second line of treatment failed, the third line of treatment failed, and on her fourth line of treatment we found the right drug, but it was too late by then. Now I rend Treasury. Do you think they could tell me how much we spend on false lines of medicine? No, no, they couldn't tell me. So precision medicine and the whole world's moving towards this, not just for cancer. The proof of concept is well and truly past us. Precision medicine. It's a genomic thing. We start treating the cancer instead of the patient. I don't care whether your cancers in your breast or your testicles. I really don't care where it is. It's no longer specific, So the nature of research now is non specific, so all of those colored ribbons don't mean much to scientists and researchers now. Now, if we had taken a tissue sample of my sister's cancer when she was diagnosed and tested it in a petri dish with all the drugs that we have for it, we could have put her on the right drug first time, every time, saving US squillions of dollars on money on medicines that don't work, and saving lives like my sisters. It's called precision medicine. The whole world's moving towards it, not just for cancer. Our rollout for it in Australia is painfully slow. The government suggests that by twenty thirty they might have thirty thousand people to get this. I was told by someone in the know recently we've got a different kind of belief system that we would not get all of our cancer patients genetically mapped in my lifetime. No, I say bullshit, I say bullocks, and I say bulld us. You watch us. So rather than wait another ten years for precision medicine, because my sister should have received it ten years ago and didn't. And if you get it now, you're still still not going to get off of it. So if you're rich and you know the right people, you'll probably get it. But I've decided that I'm not going to wait another ten years for it, and that I'm just going to roll it out myself. So I'm no longer a compliant little cancer funder. I'm the first ten towns have been decided. I've teamed up with a really really smart guy called David, I'mic Garvin, etc. That they know exactly how to roll this out. There's much smarter than me, But I dug a huge ole. I've dug them before too, but maybe none of this. I need to take Love His Sister from one point five million a year to a million a month yesterday. So to play my part in this roleout, so I've abandoned my touring model completely. I no longer visit, you know, hundreds of schools and hundreds of towns, and I focus specifically on getting businesses to hold hands with the thousands and thousands of individuals that I've got that support this right now and to help us at this very time with this very rollout. And it's early days. The campaign officially launches him much. But I've already got a bunch of signups, a lot of interest from businesses. Businesses are very happy to step in and help at this point. So it's a long answer to a short question. I'm abandoning my model of the last ten years entirely because I need to get to a million a month, not one point five million a year. I'm relying on businesses to help me get there. If there's anyone listening that thinks their business can contribute, I suggest that they email me personally, Samuel at Love your Sister dot org. Samuel with an E at Love your Sister dot org. Email me your phone number. I'll call you. We'll sort it out. So it's called Sam's one thousand and it's it's not Maybe I'll try to make this work next year. This will work next year. It has to work. It will happen, and you'll see me go public, go sixty minutes on it once. Once I know it's real. I need to have a lot more of this pyramid belt before I go public public within in terms of the sixty minute public. So if there are anyone listening that thinks their business can help, email me your phone number and I'll call you back.
Speaker 1: You're the best. You make me feel like a fucking lazy, fraudulent, underachieving, fucking want to be.
Speaker 2: You know great, you forget you forgot that I just do this shit because if I didn't it would be worth Come.
Speaker 1: On you all right, Hey, you're the best. We appreciate you. Will say goodbye a fair mate, but thank you for taking an hour out of your day. You're a superstar. Congratulations on all the work you did You've raised over thirteen million dollars so far for research. Congrats on your recovery and your mindset and everything like you. I know you don't like people pissing in your pocket, but you're an inspiration. You're a good dude. You're a fucking knock about bloke and you know people. You're the bloke that everyone would want. Everybody wishes you were their mate because you're just a good dude. Yourself aware.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got friends, so that's funny.
Speaker 1: You know, you're aware of your faults and flaws. You know what you do well, you know what you do bad. You're practical, you're realistic. But we'll say bye, are fair butt. Thank you mate, Samuel, Thank you Samuel L. Jackson, Samuel L. Jackson, thanks for being on the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll keep trying right so yah