Speaker 1: You're on the air with Jason Lauren Clint here as well, and let's say hello to our ex Yes, our.
Speaker 2: Next guest players forward for the Melbourne Demons and has been with them since twenty sixteen.
Speaker 3: He's also quite the amateur boxer.
Speaker 2: So watch out sweeping through Jackie Melxham.
Speaker 3: That's looking good plays. Welcome to the studio, Jake Melksham.
Speaker 4: Morning morning, Jake, amateur boxer.
Speaker 5: I'm told you didn't tell me that was going to be part of the intro, Clint.
Speaker 3: I didn't know it was how much true sometime junior boxer?
Speaker 5: No, it's not true. I did it when I was in grade six for a little bit.
Speaker 4: We said to it going to be our trust ep. You speak boxer and he said, yeah, very successful.
Speaker 5: It's not the tag you want. I don't think I.
Speaker 6: Will have you say in the commentary that often referred to Melchiam as people are going to get all watch out. He's a boxer. And we found footage and photos on the Internet of you in blo If I'm not mistaken when you're in your six, can you not the.
Speaker 1: Guest He's asked not to be referred to as a boxer.
Speaker 5: I grew up in a little bit of a rough area and my dad thought it'd be yourself in case he bumped into.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: Jake Melksham is one of Now my dad works the Melbourneooty Club and dad often says that Jake Melksham, he's a good boy.
Speaker 3: He's a good boy. He's one of his favorites.
Speaker 1: Although your dad has a complaint about the jewelry and some of.
Speaker 2: A lot of the boys are now wearing bracelets necklaces, and he's like, you know, because I've got to take them up.
Speaker 4: What do you mean take them up? Do you play in them?
Speaker 5: You guys that have got those bracelets that you can't get them molded?
Speaker 3: What soldered?
Speaker 5: Friend or whatnot?
Speaker 7: And it's girl friends are like, I'm going to put this on and you can never take it off like a hand.
Speaker 5: Can't like that? Yeah, that's a hard do that mind clips off.
Speaker 4: Not your wife just.
Speaker 5: She's there forever speaking convicture. She three kids in the car in the garage listening to the show because they're.
Speaker 4: Big time kid. What are the kids' names?
Speaker 5: We got Frankie, Teddy and Alfie and your beautiful wife and my wife Stacy, Stacy Morning guys just did.
Speaker 1: A Campa van trip over Chrissy. Everyone's still getting along.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we survived that one. That was the one worry was my wife. We thought she was going to fly home halfway through the trip.
Speaker 4: Got on your Stacy, get on the Virgin because.
Speaker 5: Her sister was there and her kids a little bit r.
Speaker 4: I left them there too.
Speaker 3: It's fun camp. What is a camper van?
Speaker 5: What is it an RV?
Speaker 3: Exactly that?
Speaker 5: Yes, I'm not.
Speaker 1: Do you sound like one with the people? Does have an infinity pool?
Speaker 3: Does it?
Speaker 7: Let's talk foody obviously, what was it called? Opening Round has kicked off with only two games. You guys are launching your season this weekend. How the D's feeling going into a big twenty twenty five.
Speaker 5: We're feeling very excited. Obviously, the split round to start the year delays things a little bit, so you know, by the end of January you're more than ready to get stuck into it. But this weekend we've got Jim's inaugurl game, so it's Jim's Round. We're launching that this week and we're raising funds for Jim's foundation, so he's done.
Speaker 2: Jim Steins, you know, his legacy lives on in so many ways throughout Melbourne, but also at the Melbourne Footy Club as well.
Speaker 5: Yes, so we're looking forward to that and paying tribute to Jim and raising some funds for his foundation.
Speaker 7: It's on the eve of Saint Patrick's Day, Yes, luck of the Iris Patty's Day Monday?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 5: How good?
Speaker 4: We're a touch of green for the special occasion.
Speaker 5: Yestfully we win and the pubs are full nights.
Speaker 1: How's team feeling going into a new season and like, looking back, can you pinpoint why things didn't work compared to other years when they have?
Speaker 5: No you can, you can't really pinpoint it. To answer your first question, excited to get stuck in because it's been a long off season for our club that's been widely spoken about. We've had some things go on, but now we're ready for the footy to start and actually do what we're what we're paid to do. Get out there, play well and win some games and.
Speaker 2: Get the reset, a reset the club needed in many respects. Yeah, is that fair to say?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I think by the end of the season last year we were ready for the season to just be over. Once the season once we couldn't make finals. You know, we're still playing hard and whatnot, but sometimes you just need a spell and that was what was really good for us.
Speaker 4: How's Christian Petrarca going.
Speaker 7: Obviously it was awful watching him get injured last year, but he seems like he's running around well. Is he chomping at the bit to get back out there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's going really well. He played a couple of weeks ago in mandra over in Perth, played really well, looked like he hadn't missed a beat and he's super fit at the moment. He had a little bit of a niggle during the preseason again where he spent some time in rehab and just got fitter and fitters as he did his time in and he looked like he didn't miss a beat last week.
Speaker 1: I wonder who works harder in the off season. Petruk are over at the Red Bull camp or you in a camper van dealing with three kids.
Speaker 5: Definitely me.
Speaker 1: Hard, agree, I reckon that's the cheaper, cheap.
Speaker 4: What's bogie too?
Speaker 1: We got the Boogie one. Yeah, the shower on board. You didn't use the tinier showers.
Speaker 5: We have the shower.
Speaker 2: What's a preseason like for a thirty three year old these days, Jake, it would be.
Speaker 3: One of the elder statesmen of the footy club.
Speaker 5: Now, yeah, I'm the oldest.
Speaker 3: You're the oldest.
Speaker 5: Yeah, three thirty three. That's that's old in footy term, in the footy world. Yeah. Our good friend Max is a couple when he's younger, a couple of months younger. But if you looked at my preseason this year, I haven't been out there that much. I've been injured.
Speaker 4: But do you get more time The older you get, you get more time off?
Speaker 3: Is that true?
Speaker 5: You get a few weeks extra? Is that for as just to catch up to start the pre season? Yeah?
Speaker 4: The game at thirty three.
Speaker 5: So yeah, we're we're doing what we need to in our season with that extra couple of weeks to just free group and come back refresh.
Speaker 1: So you were saying injured, are you good to play?
Speaker 5: I'll be back around three. I've had a few soft tissue injuries. Getting older. People keep telling me if I had a dollar for every time someone told me that we weren't going to bring it up, I wouldn't be here. I'd be in an RV trip somewhere.
Speaker 7: Ye're so annoying because we're actually saying you're so young.
Speaker 4: I want to be thirty three again?
Speaker 3: Is that why we need to just call you old?
Speaker 1: What we walked in and goes, do you want to sit or stand? You're like, oh, take the seat, Hey, we're going to go to a break. When we come back. I would like to challenge you boys this morning.
Speaker 5: Oh here we go.
Speaker 1: I want to know fitness test. No, definitely not a fitness test, not on this show. Who knows more about the D's out of you two?
Speaker 2: We've got some got some calls as well. A couple of big Melbourne fans. Let's kick things off with Deb.
Speaker 3: Hello, Hi, Hey, you going good? Out of jakeh Hello.
Speaker 5: Jake, morning Deb? How are you very good?
Speaker 3: How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm trying to change there?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 3: You're a massive D's fan. Who's your favorite?
Speaker 8: To be honest, I've got quite a few. But we do love track. We often see lots of the boys down in Mornington. So we have walked past leave us before in the morning in central and my son has been so star struck with mom.
Speaker 2: Jake sort the Melbourne heartland in that way, it's.
Speaker 1: Not where my pie is holiday. Hey, dad, we're going to hook you up with the day's membership for fun. Oh, thank you so much, no worries.
Speaker 3: And we've got Jamie as well. Who's got a question for Jake.
Speaker 5: What is it? Jamie?
Speaker 3: Hey Malgie, I just wanted to say, mate, big fan of the way you and he came over and he's still some great values in our footy club.
Speaker 5: My question for you is who's the next big star down at.
Speaker 8: The footy club?
Speaker 5: Are young? Thank you for your kind words, Jamie. The next big star I'm going to go with Caleb windsor So. He had his first year at the club last year. He's probably one of the quickest guys in the competition. How old is he? He's only nineteen oh fifteen years of footy ahead of him and he's going to be one of the competitions yet.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 5: Appreciate you, Molkie.
Speaker 1: Hey Jamie, we're going to hook you up with the club membership as well. It is bang on eight o'clock. We'll call it a challenge of the d's Nuffies coming up next here on over.
Speaker 3: It's a battle of des nuffs.
Speaker 1: Nuts, des nufs nuts.
Speaker 4: It's not these nuts.
Speaker 7: Nuts, what's he's nuts.
Speaker 3: Mister, Yeah, he's nuts. It's a chocolate or something. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Jake melxims in the studio this morning for the Marty ds or we want to know how long you have been at the club now ten years, So it'll be interesting to find out who is the biggest D's nuffy. Is it Jake a current player, or is it Clint the pest?
Speaker 4: But you know what, Clint pretends he knows more than he does.
Speaker 1: I reckon, Yeah, I agree, just I feel like you trade off your.
Speaker 7: Do you ever see him swinging around the club because once we went to the footy with him and he was like, come on, we'll take you down to the rooms and say.
Speaker 4: Hello, and they wouldn't let him, wouldn't let us in, wouldn't let us in because we were with him.
Speaker 5: I see him for the paid gigs. I don't see him on the weekdays.
Speaker 2: What do you mean it's all volunteer work, medication of the class.
Speaker 4: Memories. Well, he couldn't get into the rooms when he was.
Speaker 3: Trying an away game.
Speaker 5: It was they don't know there.
Speaker 1: He let him know. No way, all right, here names your buzzers.
Speaker 7: I don't think it was that clear okay, names your buzzers will start with an easy one.
Speaker 4: Heaven, I know this. What is the Melbourne Footy Club Best and Fairest Award called.
Speaker 5: Jake trus There it is, And give me the opportunity to go in before. This is a competition. Okay, go hard?
Speaker 4: Have you won one a competition? The Blue Trust?
Speaker 5: You're no bluies for me?
Speaker 1: Your eyes then were incredible.
Speaker 3: I give you a prize if you will.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: Question two? How many VFL a f L premierships?
Speaker 7: Demonst how many times have you said that one of those volunteer?
Speaker 3: Many?
Speaker 1: Spumber four?
Speaker 4: What year was the first Melbourne premiership?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Okay, I don't know the way nineteen o five?
Speaker 4: And would you like to have a guest.
Speaker 5: I'll say my name first, Jake, Yes, Jay, sorry, nineteen oh four.
Speaker 7: Well you are closer to the mark because it is exactly nineteen hundred.
Speaker 4: Nineteen one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll say you've taken engratulation.
Speaker 7: Wait, I like this one because I know this too. Who's the last moment played to win a Brownlow medal?
Speaker 4: Clint he was so handsome.
Speaker 3: Shane will Wordy two thousand.
Speaker 5: His son plays with us. He's handsome as well.
Speaker 1: His sons hate people with good jeans. Yeah, hey Jake, we hope the injury clears up.
Speaker 8: Mate.
Speaker 1: We will see you in round three.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much, guys for having me.
Speaker 7: No word luck to the d's this weekend. Don't go watching the Grand Prix when you should be watching the fro.
Speaker 1: No, he wouldn't do that. I have my phone on me in the change himself. Who will catch up once the game's done. We've learned that the hard way by checking the way sit in stands for this weekend.
Speaker 3: No, no teape.
Speaker 7: First to get sandwiches and stuff down in the club rooms.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we get grilled.
Speaker 4: That into the room.
Speaker 5: Yeah. After after the half time burgers, you.
Speaker 4: Can have the Oscar Piastre burger.
Speaker 2: Should you should come and sit with me in the President's Club. I'm doing one of those volunteers.
Speaker 1: Just gone twelve fast date. Cheers the company, make good luck for the season, the Heggs guys.
Speaker 3: Cheers.
Speaker 4: Lauren Wake up feeling good on No. One hundred.
Speaker 3: Lauren on socials