Speaker 1: Welcome to How Do They Have? Follow That, the podcast that peeks into the financial lives of everyday Australians. I'm Michael Thompson. I'm an author and the co host of the podcast Fear and Greed. As always, I'm with Canna Campbell, financial planner and founder of Sugar Number TV, the financial literacy platform that you will find just about everywhere.
Speaker 2: Like Canna, good morning.
Speaker 1: We've all made money mistakes.
Speaker 3: We certainly have, and I like that that can be big, they could be small, like missed bills and bad investments, impulse buys yep, didn't mean to look machine sell the light machines.
Speaker 1: Yes, you mentioned that one before, but most of us keep quiet about them, about the mistakes that we make. Today, we're asking why why that is? Why do we hide our money mistakes? And what happens when we do start talking about them? Shall we start with our own mistakes?
Speaker 2: Yes, let's do it.
Speaker 1: Let's actually specifically start with your mistake. What's the worst money mistake that you've made?
Speaker 2: I sold a property and at the time money was tight. You know, it was a single mum and juggling a lot, and I got talked into selling it and I take not blaming that person at all, but I kind of had lost sight of my own goals and my own capability of being resilient and strong and pushing through because I'd actually survived a lot tougher financial pressure previously, and these things were tight, but they weren't nearly as tight as what I had gone through previously and gotten through right, And I almost saw selling the property as my reward to quit. And I massively regret selling it because I didn't really need to sell it.
Speaker 1: Wow, and do you think about it now? Do you do you kind of still look back and go if I'd kept that, it would be worth x amount now? Or do you dwell on it? Or have you been able to let it go?
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say I dwell on it, but I regret is. It's a tough feeling, but it's also a great teacher. So I feel like I've learned my lesson about being very careful of people's best. You know, this particular person had the best intentions at heart, but foolishly and naively I forgot to account for the fact that they didn't know anything about my story, my goals, and my ability to be financially resilient and strong through tough times. So it is what it is. There's nothing I can do to go back in time and undo that and buy the property back. But you know, I just have to make sure I don't make the same mistake again. Okay, what about you?
Speaker 1: Mine is probably some bad investments, I think, And this is actually why are you laughing?
Speaker 2: Guess is prior to meeting me?
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, yeah, well, well, well prior and so this was fooling myself into thinking that I could pick stocks, okay, right, And so I suspect I am not alone in this because picking stocks is a really difficult thing to do, and it is a high risk investment strategy where you're kind of putting a lot of your eggs into one basket because you think that that is a company that's going to go well. And as was the case with me at the time, I did not know enough to do that. My research was not deep enough. What I did research, I don't think I fully understood as well. And then when I'm like, okay, all right, I'm going to do this, I think I was investing more on hype and hope as well, and not on sound financial strategy. And as a result, I lost a significant amount of money.
Speaker 2: Really yeah, and do you dwell on and feel? How do you feel about it?
Speaker 1: I have learned from it. I have learned not to do that again because I still have them. I still own those shares that I bought back then, because to sell them now would be to crystallize that loss. I would lock that in. And so I suppose I still cling to a little bit of hope that one day they'll come good. But also they are there pretty much as a reminder that we all make mistakes, but that some mistakes are avoidable, and that was an avoidable mistake. And so what I've learned from that is to know your own limitations, to understand that there are professionals out there who do this every single day, and even they still get it wrong right, And so it taught me the importance of getting good advice and financial advice. And that's probably the most tangible thing that's come out of this, that I don't want to do that again. I don't want to try and make these investment decisions on my own and try and and do this research when I don't didn't really understand what I was looking at. And so now we are getting really good financial advice and have a much better investment strategy around it than just picking a stock and hoping that it turns into the next kind of in video or the next after pay or something like that and goes through the roof. Because that's really what I was doing, and I learned from that. So there you go. That's how about that. It's a bit of an honesty session in here today.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is good, quite cathartic.
Speaker 1: Oh, I feel better. I feel like we could finish now, except we're only at kind of five and a half five and a half minutes. Why do you think it's so hard to talk about these things? Why is it that money mistakes are so hard for people to admit, even to family and close friends. I mean, we just did it just then, But I mean I generally don't talk about that kind of thing very often.
Speaker 2: How do you feel safe with me?
Speaker 1: I don't because it feels like you are just waiting for me to sleep up.
Speaker 2: It's very expensive mistake. Yeah, yeah, Look, money isn't just the dollars. It's the emotions. It's the identity that we attached to money and self worth. And people equate financial mistakes with failure, with incompetence, in immaturity, and many of us were raised where talking about money was, you know, taboo. So when something goes wrong, we go silent, we bury the evidence, we don't talk about it, you know, we don't talk about our failures, and we would rather carry around that shame than risk that visible judgment comes from. But really, once you're like, I'm not judging you, and I'm pretty sure you're not judging me. But I really think that when we open up, we are being incredibly brave and really authentic when we do that.
Speaker 1: The thing I like about it as well is that you can learn so much about it, Oh yeah, from your mistakes, from other people's mistakes, and I know that then I've taken so much out of that, And now I find it so interesting talking to investors and professionals in that space and just seeing what they can tell you and see what their mistakes were, and see kind of the potential path that you can take, and it is so fascinating. Do you think that this idea of not wanting to share mistakes? Does it start early? Does is it come from kind of childhood? Is it about the way you're raised around money, where does it come from. Is it financial shame? I suppose.
Speaker 2: I actually think financial shame starts when we develop awareness. So people make mistakes with money every single day, overspending, missing bills, emotional purchases. But if you don't understand the impact of that, you don't feel the shame. So it's not until you actually gain even a small amount of financial education or even like self awareness, that you can actually feel that sense of regret. And that's when that it really starts to kick in and you feel that uncomfortable realization of I should have known better, and you know that can obviously then be compounded by what we learn as we continue. You know, as we grow up, we learn more and more. So money beliefs, yes, they're inherited, but you know, it also is add as to how much we are aware as to the irresponsible or the regretful mistakes we make over time. And so yeah, I don't think it's the actual I don't think it's necessarily imprinted in us. I think it's very much linked to awareness.
Speaker 1: Okay, what's the danger then in hiding these mistakes and instead of just talking about them openly? Is it the fact that you won't learn about them. Is it the fact that you run the risk of repeating them if you don't acknowledge it.
Speaker 2: Look shame thrives in silence. So when people hide, for example, debt, you know, which is really common, regret or missed repayments or poor investment decisions, the problems actually almost take over and can almost like paralyze you going forward, like almost like a parasite. So there's you know, there's a lot of danger in just not airing it, you know, and then obviously it can lead to financial avoidance, further unopened bills, if you've been missing bills, it can impact your ability to borrow further down the track if you've had a debt repayment history. It also can isolate people, It can take its toll on their mental health, and you know, can actually sometimes make people. Then the problem can spread further like a parasite and become really toxic, and it goes from not just overspending, but now it's gambling as well. So it is really important to open up. And you know, the saying a problem shared is a problem halved, you know, I think this is really important that we take ownership and accountability, but we also let other people know what's going on and where we went wrong.
Speaker 1: Okay. Is that then, if that's the danger in hiding money, the benefit of talking about it actually makes us better with money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we're replacing the shame with learning.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's simple.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just a simple action.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, I think we need to take a quick break when we come back. It is I'd like to know some examples, if you've got them, of people kind of taking financial mistakes and turning them into a positive thing, what they've learned from it. But also what about in a relationship as well, how couples can navigate money mistakes together without blame, without guilt, Because we know that money can be such a challenging thing in a relationship, but all of a sudden, if you're trying to hide a money mistake from a partner, then it just spirals. And so I want to kind of know how to navigate that part as well. Back in a moment, can we are talking today about money mistakes and why we hide our money mistakes and the benefit then of not hiding our money mistakes and talking about it quite openly, how do we change? How do we just start being more transparent about finances, is it do you do? You need to start with being honest with yourself before you're starting to talk about it with other people.
Speaker 2: Yes, like having that in a conversation yourself going all right, I stuffed up, I made a big mistake and is now time to face the music. So what I would recommend anyone does is actually write it down, you know, write down the mistake. You know, it might be some money that you owe or the investment you made. Just write it down because that awareness is incredibly healing. And then I recommend people also write down the emotions that are attached to this, you know, the guilt, the fear, the shame, the embarrassment, you know, just because that helps release it. And then I would recommend someone going you can find someone that you can confide in, you know, someone that you know will keep what you're sharing confidential, will not judge you, but will also help you move from this so that it can be a turning point. This is your rock bottom and nothing is going to get worse than what has happened here, so that you can move forward from this point on and do it in the right way so that you don't repeat history and you get a great learning lesson and you actually turn it around to be actually a really powerful pivotal point in your life where it actually has served you in a positive way, even though at at times it feels horrific and horrible and like a dirty secret. So they're the first steps. And I think you know, your story is a classic example, because you made a bad investment, you got caught up in the emotions and the excitement, and you know, you left that rational thinking at the door. And now look where you are financially. You're getting great advice, you're getting strategic advice, You're being intentional with your money. It's almost like a blessing in disguise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think something positive has certainly come out of that. Have you seen other examples of that of people taking financial mistakes and it becomes almost a positive turning point within their lives?
Speaker 2: Oh, my goodness, so many, And your story is not uncommon at all. You know, that is often the reason why people will go and lose a whole pile of money on this penny stock or the tip they got from a taxi driver or a friend at the pub, and they blow a whole pile of money, and then they go oh my goodness, I got this so wrong. I now need to do this properly and do this the right way, in the smart way. And that's quite often, you know, why people would come and see me, because they needed to start all over again. All the other side is people just getting into a whole pile of credit card debt.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I remember when someone came and saw me, they had three hundred and sixty thousand dollars across multiple credit cards.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so it was at that point they were like, Okay, I need a plan and I need to just stop this from happening. I need someone to help guide me out of this and get me to the stage. I'm not fun interest. I'm actually building an investment portfolio or paying off a home, you know, doing this. So this is very very common, and you know, we see in all sorts of facets of life. You know, people you know put on a bit of weight and you know, get sick, and that's their catalyst for really healthy eating and changing their life around. So it's not just just money, but it's the moment you stop hiding and start owning it. That's when things start to change and you feel that sense of release and relief. And it all starts with Okay, I need help. It's got to come from you. It's got to come from within.
Speaker 1: Okay. What about then in a relationship? And I alluded to this before that in a couple there is an added complication there. How does a couple navigate money mistakes without blame? Without guilt? Is it all just we've talked about this before, communication, just talking open and honestly it is.
Speaker 2: But it's also the way that you talk about it, okay, So, and the approach and the language you use and the tone of your voice, you know, so approaching it as a team, not as competing opponents. It's not about, you know, blaming. So a great way of doing this is talking it with a sense of curiosity, like, you know, can you help me understand how this happened? Rather than why did you go and do that? What we're thinking? Like, that's a lot more aggressive approach and focus on the solutions not the actual shame. So questions like all right, how do we prevent this from happening again? Or how can we fix this as quickly as we possibly can together? Or what is that we need to do to repair this so that we can continue on working on those goals and dreams, you know, really come back to what the big picture is, what does it really want. We can often get caught up in the damage and the destruction of that situation which doesn't really have beyond a point and actually can sometimes make people more defensive and more hurt and it just things can then spiral out of control. But when you focus on all, right, this is where we're trying to get to, what are the things we need to do so you know that solution above the line, you know, mindset, and it's not about you know, who made the mistake, it's about how you both recover and how it to actually solidify your relationship. You know, I've spoken about this before. We've had friends where one's a massive spender, one's you know, a saver, and they've been able to turn things around where they're now on the same page together and you know, they're smashing goals and they're motivated and it's actually made them a much stronger couple and they're so united, which is really powerful. So it doesn't it doesn't need to necessarily destroy you. It can actually bring you together and realize how strong you both are and how you both are a great team together.
Speaker 1: Kind of coming back to where we start asked about why we hide our money mistakes, And I know I have a tendency to blame social media for everything, but I'm going to do it again right now. Do you think kind of social media with everybody showing their perfect kind of lives or their perfect version of themselves, and that can often include finances, They're perfect financial life. Do you reckon it makes it worse? Do you reckon it makes it harder to be honest that we are not perfect, that we do make mistakes when all of a sudden you're just seeing everybody just making good decisions.
Speaker 2: Apparently definitely, because obviously social media is you know, it's the curated highlights, you know, the milestones, the first home, the new car, the luxury holiday. You know, you don't see the struggle and the setbacks and all the failures that have happened, and they could have been. You might see with someone that sold their business for a great figure, but you may not know that they've actually had seven failed businesses before that, Yeah, you know, and they've lost millions of dollars on that before then. So you know, it's you've got to look at you know, eyes wide open. It's such so surface level. And obviously social media creates that comparison that can you know, turn healthy ambition into something quite toxic, and that self criticism. So yes, you've got to be careful of social media as well. But there also I think more and more people on social media becoming more authentic and open and transparent, sharing their setbacks and their failures and where they went wrong and where they had to kind of almost reinvent themselves.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's leave this on a very positive note. What is your message to someone, To anyone that is still carrying guilt over a financial mistake? They how do they let it go? Or not necessarily let it go, but how do they move forward with that?
Speaker 2: It is absolutely impossible to live a perfect life without any failures whatsoever. You've got to be kind and forgive yourselves. Mistakes are all part of learning, and the moment you can name it and understand it and then take even just one small action like calling a counselor or making an appointment to see a financial planner, or picking up a book or listening to another podcast, you'll start to move forward. So you don't have to fix absolutely everything immediately. You just need to get started on the journey of fixing it and most importantly, learning and educating yourself so that you never repeat history.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great advice, all right. If anybody wants more information, they want to see more from you Instagram.
Speaker 2: Instagram, send me a message on Instagram, share with me your dirty financial laundry and we'll break it down together.
Speaker 1: That's it. Sugar Mama TV on Instagram, and you can hear me every day with Sean Aylmer on Fear and Greed business News. You can use Thank you for listening to how do they afford that? Remember to hit follow on the podcast. And the best thing that you you can do is tell somebody else send them a link to this episode if you think that they might benefit from hearing it, and spread the word about how do they afford that? Thank you for your company. Join us again next week.