Speaker 1: Hi, my Boris, and this is straight Talk.
Speaker 2: If we don't get a million views in the first seven days, it'll be free. We dropped it and hit a million views in six hours or something.
Speaker 1: See macatosh Well into straight Talk, mate, Like they're actually unreal ideas. How do you think of this shit?
Speaker 2: Like all those things you don't think they're going to work, You work through it, you work out how to do it, and then when it comes together, the feeling's extraordinary. The gold standard of storytelling is telling me something I don't know, and it's sort of like show me something you haven't seen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what we're trying to do.
Speaker 2: My dad didn't want me to work in magazines. He knew what I was making. He's like, you got to get out of this thing. But I just loved making the magazines. I love putting together the stories.
Speaker 1: Who's the craziest out of all of them?
Speaker 2: Out of all the stuff I deal with? Oh my god, I've.
Speaker 1: Seen macatosh Well into straight Talk mate. Morning, nice to meet Thanks for coming down to Byron. Byron, you're living in Barron.
Speaker 2: Now, Yeah, I haven't been that long, but I was in Sydney for a long time and then in l A for a couple of years, and now that's we're going to office in Byron and we're going to office in California as well.
Speaker 1: So you grew up though in uh and Gariel? Is he Garry? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, your dad owns pub there? Yeah? Which which one is it? Isn't he? Amber?
Speaker 2: Pacific? Go tell the Hill?
Speaker 1: Yeah? School one? Yeah, he still owns it. Yeah, okay, cool? Robert Craig Robinson Yeah really well here good made? And mine brother, well is he's still living? He's at Yamber, isn't he? And Garry?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So he spends the weeks on the Gold Coast because his kids go too, and then comes down on the weekends.
Speaker 1: His kids go tome to school again just what gin send his boy dead there? He's close to Robert and but Robot is one of the older boys, like killing it at cool. He might be his last year or something like he's really bright.
Speaker 2: Super smart's yeah yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Great, I haven't seen roll with Ages, Great Maid of mon Salo if you see, right. So grew up obviously, not I should say obviously, but I grew up as a board writer. Yes, in the we're talking about now, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yes, so grew up well, yeah, just before we get into it, though, I went through your analytics to look at what does well for you, and you've got these colorful characters that connected really well, and then anything you do on surfing tanks. So I'm like, I'm super interested to see what have you seen that. I was talking to the boys about it. I was like, really, you guys want to do anything on surfing.
Speaker 1: Maybe our audience is not that interested. Yeah, but if you're throw in a few names like Mick Fanning and some of that, something might change.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, So I'm going to turn it around.
Speaker 1: Okay, You're going to turn this whole thing around. Said, this dude is smart and by the way, I've seen some of the stunts you've done. So I'm really relying on you, okay to turn the stats around. Okay, okay, at no pressure, but let's do it, okay, Okay, So hey, just take me when you grow up. What period?
Speaker 2: So I grew up in the nineties in Yambongari. So we grew so we actually used to live inland. We used to live sort of forty five minutes to an hour from the beach and grew up in a town called Casino. My dad was a shy clerk at the council and he always wanted buy a pub and I was so obsessed at that point, and he looked at a bunch of pubs. We went to northern Queensland, so we nearly bought one in Air, which is I don't know, a day from the beach. If you're driving south down to News.
Speaker 1: It's no beach across across because Reece.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then we did a trip to Cape York a couple years ago, my dad, my son and I and we caught it to the pub and he's like, your mother walked into this pub, she walked back out, laid in the backseat with a migraine and she didn't get out of the car. So thankfully we didn't buy that one. And then all we wanted to do. His dream pub was Pacific Hotel in Yamba, and then a couple of guys from Byron they all got they all went in together and they bought it. And so we moved from Inland down to Yamba, which was just life changing.
Speaker 1: A bit different than that is to what it is now. It's still it's still a smallish town. But back then it's quite remote relatively speaking. It was really a serving town and.
Speaker 2: Like a little resort town. So it's busy in the holidays. Fish town yeah yeah, yeah, still very small. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then what does that do for a kid growing up in the environment? So how do you come out of the place like that? Because nag Off was in la So like, how does I mean, what's what did it do in a formative sense for someone like you?
Speaker 2: That's an interesting one. Well, for a formative sense. There's a on the front of the public says pecific hotel in big ladders on the front. And so I had a bedroom above the.
Speaker 1: Ah you lived in the hotel.
Speaker 2: We lived in the park. Yeah, so we lived above the We lived cool.
Speaker 1: That's cool. I reckon that school.
Speaker 2: But it was really fun growing up for the pub, and then my dad had me go to work in it pretty early, so I was balancing the tills and learning about how to run the business. So that was really helpful. And then he was just always pushing me that we had to go to university, get out of a small town. So the moment you turn eighteen, you get out of there. So did that move to Sydney moved under Jeff and Penny Carr's house at Okay.
Speaker 1: Cool, but how's how's Jeff? How's Curry related? What's his friendship with it? Had they come about?
Speaker 2: They went to school together in Grafton.
Speaker 1: I really I didn't know Jeff is from Grafton. Yeah, he's a country boy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay. By the way, those who don't know, Geff Card played for George and a longtime administrator in the New South Wales Rugby League. And I know Jeff through the state of origin where I sponsored for one though ten years or something. And of course I knew Penny, his late wife Penny quite well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, lots of people.
Speaker 1: So your dad sent you down to deliver the Jeff at Tama.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jeff offered, and then they had this little this sort of like little granny flat under the house in twn Royment. So I got to move to here.
Speaker 1: Is that that's late must be late late nineties. Yeah, yeah, well that's when I was sponsoring New South Wales. Jeff used to walk all the time from I don't know if he still does. He was always every time I ever seen he's walking from along the coast there along to Bondai.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and back. Yeah, and he's when I was living there. Scott's big birthday present for him because he played football big legs. Yeah, his son bought him basoline so he wouldn't get a rash between his side. Yeah, it was. It was such a good Yeah, it was the perfect way to come to Sydney. It was like a wonderland for me. I was like, wow, I look at his place.
Speaker 1: What did you do at Uni?
Speaker 2: I studied a few different things, and I studied business and then I didn't get through that degree and got a job at the surf magazine called Waves. So that was out of Chinatown. In Chinatown, yeah, that's where the office world. So it was the big British publisher called EMAP and they had Fahm and Smash Hits and Tracks, Waves and a whole bunch of magazines and a bunch of sort of teenagers and twenty year olds running them. Was it was really really fun.
Speaker 1: Did you gather as a journalist or admin or what we're doing?
Speaker 2: I just went in as a deputy editor. I didn't study writing or anything. I'm not a great writer, but from there I kind of learned. I learned what I wanted to do in life, and I loved it. I just loved making the magazines. I love putting together stories, and it was Waves was always the little brother to Tracks. Tracks was the sort of the cash cow, and Waves like, you stay in the corner, you get anyone trying to get in the youth market. And so I worked with the guy called Vaughan Blakey, and we had a lot of success with the magazine. Brought a lot, and that's when I realized that I was sort of not that great of an employee, and I had to go out of my own.
Speaker 1: You're not great at being an employee.
Speaker 2: And not great at being employee?
Speaker 1: What would it where? And how do you mean? Like do you don't like taking orders?
Speaker 2: Or I was like soot. So I grew up learning how to read a balance sheet and a pno because my dad taught me at the pub. And so when these young guys, and to their credit, they're really transparent with the numbers, and I could see tracks of make movie Box a year and then our magazine Ways would make between two and four hundred, and we're having all the success. So we'd go, oh, because I was on twenty five grand a year or something, and I was like, oh, I'd like to get a raise the magazine through really well, they said, the sales team's amazing at the moment, and they're getting amazing advertising, and then newsstand sales are really good, and like, oh the marketing they're doing an incredible job. And I was like, Okay, this is how this is going to work. So I kind of realized I needed to get out because I just I wanted My dad didn't want me to work in magazines. He knew what I was making, just like, you got to get out of this thing, like this is this is kind of like a really fun, kind of dead end job for you. That's what we thought. And so I was really good friends with a surfer named Tajborrow yep, and he was sort of the best surfer in the world at that point. And growing up there was no really good instructional how to surf books and so true yeah, and so I was like, okay, we're going to make a really good contemporary how to surf book. So I pitched him the idea and he said, okay, I'm in. We went, let's do fifty to fifty on it. And so I started writing in nights and at nights and on the weekends and working away and working away on it, and I was getting close to the end, and then the publishers found out that I had this book, and like they pulled me aside and said, hey, everything you do we own and I was like, well, no, I'm doing the weekends. He goes, no, if you're doing your surfbook, we own that.
Speaker 1: How does the people you're working for?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I was like, well you don't and a you don't be You're not having it, and so we both sort of saved face. I got the sack, but I got a job in marketing. So I got a job in marketing and I went from the editorial floor that was really fun to the corporate floor and I spent the next six months in there learning everything I could about publishing. So distributors printers made all of those contacts and finished this book, and I got really lucky. I went to I found a really good printer in Singapore. I didn't have any money at the time, and my email came through from me the EMAP email, and so I got ninety dight terms.
Speaker 1: Wow, because they thought they thought EMAP was the one asking for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I use this printers for fifteen years after I'd started STAB, and every bill I'd get it would be like Sam Macintosh's Care of EMAP STAB. But yeah, we always paid our bills. And so I made this book. I was like, how am I going to pay for it? And so I rode for the Sunglass Company. I sort of surfed, okay, and you wrote for the Sunglass Company Onnett remember those?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And so I used to get fifteen hundred dollars a year a spoonship, yeah, a sponsorship and personally personally yeah. And then this one day they accidentally put extra zero. They pay him fifteen thousand. So I had to pay for these eight thousand books two dollars eighty seven apiece. And I was like, okay, I'm going to dump this on the print run. And I got ninety days to pay down the other stuff, and then I had to pay back to it. And so I got this book out and I self publish it because I couldn't get a publisher because I didn't have any runs on the board. And one day my dad calls me, reads the Son Herald and goes, you're in the best sellers list. Oh wow, Yeah, And so he's in the Sporting section, the best sellers list, and the book just flew flew in the US, flew in Australia, and it was life changing. And then from there, what was a book called. It was called Taj Borrow's Book of Hot Surfing.
Speaker 1: They put Tar Borrows then on the top. Yeah, and he was a co author that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I was just a bunch of interviews and then all the basic stuff. I'm not you interviewing him, yeah, yep, right, and just anecdotal stuff. And then all I served, Okay, so I could write most of it. And then I'd done so much so many interviews with him. I kind of got his.
Speaker 1: Tone right, and so I nearly write his answers pretty.
Speaker 2: Much, and then I just kind of go the technique stuff I'd write, and then I just get anecdotes from him about certain examples of where things took place and yeah, and so.
Speaker 1: But that was quite clever. Quite a clever technique is to use the Taj Borrows in the in the title. And given his status at the time, even today he's still got status. But like his status at the time, and as you say, would have been one of the first books ever. There's books on everything in those season, but I don't remember seeing anything else surfing.
Speaker 2: Just the one in a really contemporary way. And at the start he was like, I don't want to go out and stand up in the white water on a soft top. I'm just just trust me. And so it was really broad, but then went really really pointed at the end, and so it was like you kind of had to had to go through the sections and see unless you kind of got through in this section, you couldn't go to the next color. And then a whole generation of pro surfers, we later learned, wouldn't go to the next page until they made each trick as they went just pretty cool, a younger pro surface younger, yeah, younger.
Speaker 1: So you're really trying to appeal to as a good Christmas present for parents to give you the kids too, especially like you know, those little kids run a little soft boards, like I'll get to the board, I'll get to the book, especially up in coastal towns or even in Bondai in places like because the kids, I don't know if they still do it, but they're all writing those you know, a little six foot soft boards, you know, because you get sort of right on the edge of the flags. Yeah, like it was more access and sort of like appeared much more safe.
Speaker 2: It's so much safer that just like the softer rails. Yeah, yeah, yeah, when a hard rail hits you, you can knock your own.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and parents like because I got I remember I brought up with my kids. I was way too clumsy and did rother But like, but you know, they're fun, but so so what you're appealing to. I might ask you what what did did you actually sit there and say, Okay, who am I baling to? Who am I buyers of the book?
Speaker 2: I did? I just I didn't want to leave out any cohort, And I thought, if you have all the advanced stuff, but then you have Tarj Borrow teaching you how to paddle on the front end. If it's Tarsborrow, you get what you kind of got cloud cover to pull anything off. So we dumbed it right down in the basic end, and then at the other end it was the most technical surfing you could possibly do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so were you but you actually sort of telling the kids how to paddle.
Speaker 2: Out, how to paddle out, how to duck dive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: How to be a good house guest just like it was. There were a few there's a bunch of other things that weren't just surfing. They were sort of surfing related, sort of surfing adjacent and yeah, the interestingly, so Tarj had just signed a huge contract with Billibong and so we hit them up to sponsor and they said no, no, we don't want to be part of it. So he had to shoe sponsor Globe. So Globe got behind the book, and then the book came out and it was a runaway success.
Speaker 1: How do you even? Globe got behind the books?
Speaker 2: So they sponsored the book.
Speaker 1: And how do you I've never seen that before. How do you sponsor a book? How does that work?
Speaker 2: We just put a logo on the front and then the inside front cover was a big glow about optage, right, and then the whole bottom of the book was like a little flick book of like one perfect way of Taj had written. I just had this like spinning glow blogo in there and it's cool. Yeah, it was really cool. And then bill a Bong were bumed they weren't a part of it, and they said, we want to be part of the next print run. I said, we can't it's you turned the deal down and then they said, well, we want to do a book as well, and so they did a thirty anniversary book for Billabong, which we made for those guys, and then we.
Speaker 1: You got that they commissioned you to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we made that book for No, not Tage. I had a partner on it. We made it together, and then we use the money from that to start STAB.
Speaker 1: Okay, so can you see, sayly, how old were you when you did.
Speaker 2: This book twenty four And the biggest gift was I couldn't get a publisher because I learned how to do it.
Speaker 1: And then because you've had a publisher that would have owned you and you had just got like a bit of a royalty yea.
Speaker 2: And books are entoriously shitty business.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I've done for them. There's no money in them. That's why I always, I mean generally speaking, I always hapy to give the money to charity because like it's it's modest, but like at the same time, I feel as though, like, yeah, there's no reason to do it, and I think if I can at least give some money to charity, there's a reason to do it. Otherwise there's no money. There's no reason to do it money wise, Yeah, there's no don't it what's the royalty look like? Well, you know it might be fifty grand or right, it might be a hundred. You know, if you get a couple of reprints, might be a hundred.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So like generally speaking, you can't. I can't. I the last book I did, I only did it during cover because I was bored. But but I think like a fifty five grand all of them to charity, because like I wouldn't have done it otherwise I was bored. So I did it. But I had to find a reason to do it. On Bord would do it. That's my reason. And there's no money in it, so I'll give it a bit if charity make some money out of it them, I'm happy Otherwise using publisher them talking about and no I'm not having a great the publisher. They're great people and that sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: It's just it's a low margin game. Yeah, yeah, and especially today, do you get do you get a psychic reward from it?
Speaker 1: Though for that particular book I did Rise, I enjoyed that one, and I think the one I did before that, straight talk a straight talk What It Takes. It was cool. Sorry that the book was called What It Takes. I did an audiobook too, so I was happy. I got a bit of a bit of a buzz out of doing an audio book myself. I'll never do it again because I had to own studios for like thirty six hours, not not once. Like the best I could talk for was three hours at a time, so I had to do twelve sessions.
Speaker 2: But you still have to do work of writing it first.
Speaker 1: You had to write first. Then I had to do the audio. I had to read and I had to read it out aloud what I'd written literally eighty months before, and I started finding things and that I didn't agree with it, like we're no longer elevant. But I had to read it as it was written because it was an audiobook, so I had to read it, like, you know, oh, so your thoughts have evolved? Did I say that? The guy say, now you have to read it. You have to read it as you wrote it. And it's fine.
Speaker 2: SI.
Speaker 1: I needed that because that was good what I go out That was like the experience of doing it reading an audiobook myself in my own voice. But when you read what you wrote what you write, which is what you see, compared to what you say and what someone hears. It's they're completely different.
Speaker 2: Because you almost have to use the storytelling about two hundred percent totally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not the same. It's not the same experience, and so it was good for the experience the rest of it. I didn't make any money out of it, though, well, the money I made went to track. But so, what did you learn from writing? What did you learn not before the book? What did you learn from the whole book exercise like that maybe equipped you to go then and do stab. So what did you get out of it? What are the things that you got out of it?
Speaker 2: I just love putting altogether. That's the thing. I was like, okay, putting together the whole deal, selling the sponsorship, getting Tarj on board, writing it, bringing all together. We'd walk into bookstores and these huge cutouts of Taj on the front holding your surfboard, and just all those little things. I just love the because anything you do right, you go and do something with the major talent, you think that's easy to get those people, every single person has to be onboarded one by one, and so I just realized that I liked pulling things together and making sure that the economics work, making sure you've got some of the audience likes something the talent likes. I just love that part of it.
Speaker 1: So and I guess for the posts of this show, like economics is probably not where I want to go because Okay, but I personally love the economics. I love the fact that you make money out of it. But for the purpose of this show, I think was really like what I'm getting from you, because I've done a little bit of looking at some of the stuff you've done on YouTube and Instagram various. I thinks I think it might be being slightly modest when you say, like, you know, I like putting it together, being able to just in a position to identify day one some of like taj borrows and by the way, this just goes through the future of what you've done, especially with a stab and all some of the stunts you've done. My gut feeling is your real talent or the talent that you've used. It's really amazing you're successful in things that you're doing. Is your ability to market, your ability to come up with cool stuff that shit everybody wants to have to look at like the shaping competition stab in the Dark. Yeah, and you know I nearly did today. I fucking forgot. I got a T shirt at home and it says Insula Marris. It's really really old T shirt and it's actually this year fifty year anniversary of this T shirt made of mine who lives up in Balana now. His name is Steve White White and who and I in fifteen we set up a shape board shaping business called Insula Marus Island of the Sea. And the reason I know we called an Instina marks because I was doing Latin at school. Stupid is subject in the world. But I did it and HC and so I said, called instament. We shade boards, and we sued to sell them ourselves and we sell them to blakes we knew. And I actually had the two shirt on this morning because I put on some because it's right around now is the fiftiethh versa. I pulled out of the drawer and so coincidentally, I'm going to meet you today, So you know, it was just a coincidence. But and I was, and I was going to bring it in and show it to you, and I was going to get your sign actually, but it was, and you know board shaping, especially when you know you ran the you know the I call it a stunt, but very successful one, very successful. And there the other stunt that that I want to talk about a minute, but the one where you get that floating mat and they jump off the mat and onto the board. That's so fucking cool visually, yes, So where what where does where do those unreal ideas come from? Like like they're actually unreal ideas. It's how do you think of this ship?
Speaker 2: Well, it's like anything so some of the parts right, So it's not just me, but there's just well, so we've done a couple of these things. So we did one with a guy. We put just a flare the flea you have when you're in trouble at sea on the on the back of the surfboard, just put it through the leash plug and then surfed at night. I don't know where you saw that one. So it's like surfing at night with his curfac called Bruce Irons. It's all lit up and red in the tube. And that that was our sort of big, first, big viral shoot, and we got into those viral shoots for a long time. And then the one you're referencing the one the dock, the big floating dock. Yes. So I was living in la and one of my really good friends he lives over there as well. He's from Newcastle and he's the skipper on James Packers boats. So is his name Chris Chris Tom Tom Yeah, And I was say like, hey, we've got this idea. Is they probably got a mat Yeah, And they're just so forensic on detail, those guys, right, the boat guys, And I'm sloppy. He's super organized. And so he went to work on this thing for six months. He found the company in Canada because it's just it's just a floating pontoons. And he said, and because it's I don't know what they ever saw it's used for. The one use we saw was in a sort of It was when people come off boats and there's a tiny bit of swell. As people walking down, you see a tiny little wave run under it, And well that could work in the ocean. And if we just anchor that off a boat, we can have guys run along and then jump under the wave and ride the wave. And so they.
Speaker 1: Run along with the board and under the under their arm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and really difficult to do because you can't tell. But it sits about a foot out of the water. So and it's as that thick as it. Yeah, it's really thick, and it's really hard. So it's unforgiving, especially when you kind of got the ocean and a significant swell coming at you. But he did all the work on it, and so he's like, oh, can I have two grand to buy this special rope? And then it built the sort of the infrastructures required to attach it to a boat. And then because when a wave hits it, it has so much power and the things one hundred feet long.
Speaker 1: That long is it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Wow, we probably didn't need to make that long, but that's you know, it's like you get that many cubes you put them together. Yeah. So we shot that in Bali and we launched a Banoa harbor. It took us We got there at four in the morning. It took us four and a half hours to go down the coast to get to where we need to go. And then we got there. The surfaces we went there with we just there were waves down the beach and we were just out of the back and they were just ignoring us. And it was really frustrating for a time, and then like all those things, you don't think they're going to work, and it's just the kind of trials and tribulations you work through it, you work out how to do it, and then when it comes together, the feeling is extraordinary.
Speaker 1: But again you're being pretty modest, Like it's, as you said, some of the parts, but the idea, like the very very concept and the fact that you thought you might be able to put it together. I mean, do you remember where you were sitting or what you were doing when you come up with just let's talk about the floating mat or the mat that floats on top. Where were you? It's just and why did you do it? Like? What was the purpose?
Speaker 2: We kind of went into this this stunt space because it was it kind of became a part of our DNA and we really try to do these things that hadn't been done before.
Speaker 1: But did someone Richard Brandson spy Like that's brand's a big thing, stunts Virgin Virgin. But he built Virgin's brand by doing stunts, crazy shit like you know, driving a tank down the middle of forever, you know, like really crazy shit stuff that most of us wouldn't think I just wouldn't think about like did you get inspired by someone like him?
Speaker 2: We used there used to be this website called it was called jown. It was like all these it was like four j's and O U N D jown And we used to scroll that thing and used to have just weird images and we try to get inspiration from this thing. So the the Flare shoot one was just from McCarney west film clip a little kid runing along with a flare, so like we could put that on surfboard.
Speaker 1: But did you see that on jown?
Speaker 2: That one wasn't on jown.
Speaker 1: No, So you're seeing when you see the candy of West video, what's how do you trains translate that from looking at VID and go fuck, I could do that putting on a bank of surfboard.
Speaker 2: That's everything we do is sort of bringing it from outside surfing into surfing. So like the surfboard, when you talk about the Stab in the dark, it's kind of the master chef of surfboards. Yeah, it's no difference. I don't know, Australian idol of surfboards.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's sort of like there's always an appropriation of bringing to surfing so that's how kind of tackled it. But yeah, so the doc one, someone said we should do that and get stand up paddle boards and see if you can run and jump, and like then we'd seen that clip of that one floating with the tourist running down up falling over, and we're like, okay, let's join those two ideas together. And then a lot of ideas we do aren't that great. Like we went to what we thought would be really cool. We went to Indonesia and we thought, what if we put a thousand ping pong balls and someone's standing at tube and it's ping pong balls all around around the tube. You're serving in the tube serving job, and there's just all ping pong balls around it like an art installation that we tried. It was a failure, and then we spent entire day cleaning up the ping pong balls after it didn't work.
Speaker 1: Because then, so the because the stuff I love of it is like the ones that work anyway is one coming up with the idea. And I guess what you're saying is like you sort of sitting around and you sort of collab with your mates, like you you're all smoking a bomb or what's going on? Like, I mean, where this shit come from?
Speaker 2: Here?
Speaker 1: There is a nighttime or white.
Speaker 2: That friend doesn't drink anymore. Actually, yeah, we.
Speaker 1: Were just talking, just young blokes haveing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I just talked to a friend. I said, do you think this is possible? This floating doc one? And everything we do we try to find a sponsor to fund it. So the DOC one, I have a bit another business parner also named Tom, and we really wanted to pitch it to a brand called Volcom. I pitched it twice and they didn't get it. And I said, Tom, we've got to do this idea. It's going to be really really big. And he's like, just read the room. They're not interested. I said, give me one last shot at it. He's like, just dianet. And so we go to this meeting and I said, I think the deal was sixty or ninety year the US. I don't know what the number was, but one of those numbers. And I said to them, if you don't, if we don't get a million views in the first seven days to Volcom, to Volcom, it'll be free.
Speaker 1: You're not going to charge them. In other words, they can be this wants for nothing.
Speaker 2: Yep, yeah, and you won't have to pay And they looked at me like, what do you mean. I was like, I'm so confident about this idea. I think this is the best idea.
Speaker 1: Of ever, so there's no downside farm yeah, and.
Speaker 2: They were you serious? I said, yeah, I think this is really big.
Speaker 1: And they're like, okay, it's a no brainer.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then we dropped it and hit a million views in six hours or something and it just caught on fire. And interestingly, did you ask him for a double?
Speaker 1: If you forget double, if you're too because you have two million now I got two million in a day something? Did pay double or they still just gave you the sixty?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we just got whatever it was. We're just happy that it did well and it connected and they backed us. But interestingly, we got so much. The accolades we got from that were incredible. But you show up at Monday Monday morning the next week, go to work and your business is still It doesn't help your business at all. It's not like you have this cash just coming through the door. And that was the last one of like, hey, no more of these big viral shoots. It's because it's not a business model. It's really nice to get a spike like that, but then how long do you have the next one? And it's you can't build a business from it.
Speaker 1: That's as interesting. So I'm glad you raise that because I was going to ask you, like I, what was the driver of let's call it the stunts. But the driver of the stunts was that I will do this stunt because I reckon I can get welcome to a sponsorship. Was in other words, I will design a stunt so that I can get some sponsorship from somebody, hopefully covers my costs, and make some money out of it. Or was the driver of the idea I want to do this no matter what, but I need I make in order to make work, I need to get a sponsor. Was it about getting sponsor first? It was about I just need to get this thing done.
Speaker 2: It's kind of yes to both. Yeah. Yeah, it's well, we would like anything. We were. We're the last to market in terms of magazines, up up against all the big players draw MESSTAB now, yeah, so we just wanted to come in and have a point of difference, and so we wanted out. We wanted to the look and feel it to be completely different.
Speaker 1: So how did you elaborate they had to fit into these things like so like, for example, the let's talk of the mat, how do STAB fit into that relative to say the sponsor so brought to you buyo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's just the Volcan logo at the front. And then all the surfers who are running off the dock, they're all sponsored by Vulcan. They've got Volcan stickers on their boards and volcum on their clothing. And then though and Volcan can run all of those assets on in perpetuity across all of their channels. So you run on their website, posters, billboards, whatever turned outs how a deal works.
Speaker 1: But how did how did STAB get a benefit of that? How did the magazine get the benefit from that?
Speaker 2: So the magazine would have the photos, we'd run that in print and then we'd put the film online and then all of those.
Speaker 1: Assets would just content. Yeah, more content.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So we just wanted to when you we just wanted to a point of difference. So everything we try to do would be the gold standard of storytelling is tell me something I don't know and sort of like show me something you haven't seen. Yeah, So that's what we're trying to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it really does come into storytelling, yes, And so when did you learn like you learned? I mean you worked your dad's baab. You you learn how to look at the difference between money coming in and money going out. Then you worked at the magazine. Then you went upstairs and you started looking learn about the corporate stoff. But where did you get into your head it's about storytel because you're in your twenties, how did you understand the storytelling is such an important part of running a business, especially a new business in a competitive environment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think I actually connected the dots back then. I sort of knew what we wanted to do and how we're trying to do it, and we're trying to be world class and try to create these big moments, and I knew that like a big name and a big idea, that's what connects.
Speaker 1: Yeah, two basic fundamentals. Yeah, but no more articulated, not sophisticated.
Speaker 2: Now I kind of truly know what connects in storytelling, but it's takes me a long time.
Speaker 1: So what would you say connects and storytelling from your successes, what are the sort of main elements I.
Speaker 2: Think just storytelling. What I want is tell me something I don't know, really yeah, and me something yeah yeah yeah uh. And I think if you if you can kind of whatever lane, your whatever space you're in, if you can be the expert sort of authoritating voice in that in that space, I think it gives you a good chance of success.
Speaker 1: How important is though, is the theater of it though at one the theater, but also prankishness, some amend it's like, you know, having fun with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's you can call it a prank or a gimmick, or you can call it art. Yeah. Yeah, so yeah, I think that's important. I think you need to have that high production value, Like I think that really connects with an audience. If you put if you kind of go and make.
Speaker 1: The you mean your actual production that's well put together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well put together. And it's like that doc video it was a complete shit show. But I think when you watch it looks really slick.
Speaker 1: Yeah it does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like it some but that's all is that in the edit? Yeah, that's all in the edit. Yeah. But yeah, I think when it comes out it needs to have that level of quality.
Speaker 1: It's a bit like this, this show I mean to be honest, like you know, like I don't know what sort of material I give our editors, but like they always make it look fantastic.
Speaker 2: You know, you had the show up mentality. Yeah, I've been listening a lot, and you just show.
Speaker 1: Up totally and then they make it all look good. And then what they'll do is say someone like this, for example, they make it interesting because one of the reason I'm talking about this stuff because they'll grab drag that stuff and they'll put it in somehow, They'll they'll bring it into the primos, et cetera. Yes, so that and it's a really good vision. So it's about the production quality at the end of the day. But I've got to give them the production quality. I've got to give them an on trade of the production quality through you, right, so Pie, Yeah, so, and and I guess that's like all storytelling and all theater. A theater is always about that stuff. It's about color, light, movement, you know, vibrancy. Whether it's a prank or it doesn't really matter, but it's it's got to have energy in it. It's got to have energy, must have energy in it. And I think your stuff's always got energy in it. And I don't know whether you thought about that at the time. It mind you, when young people do stuff a lot of times it's got fucking energy in it, just naturally because they take risks.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, it's there is something about start getting into business early and taking risks and making ow mistakes early when you don't have mortgages of dogs lose. Yeah, it really doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: But because I think the audience, if you pull it off, they like to see that. They like to see the risk taking. Yes, you know, and they because it's generally speaking, something that some wouldn't do themselves. And you know, you know, like I know everyone in my in this mental mental structural business, everyone's under thirty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've seen and.
Speaker 1: And I do it on purpose because they will take more risks than I would ordinarily even think about it. I just have to come sort of be the so called talent, with the other talent in this case being you. But the rest of us then young.
Speaker 2: People, you don't have to worry about how it shows up on you, Sube, by how far shows up in TikTok, that's all, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, just as long as my old So now you're forty, what forty forty six. Are you different today to what you were when you How different are you to when you were in your twenties? You're more aligned to the economics of things than you were than you are than you were to just getting the thing out and done and produced.
Speaker 2: No, I still love the economic site of it is whatever. I love the just having really a really good product, and no matter what, I'll just always try to go for the best product.
Speaker 1: So what about risk?
Speaker 2: Then? I love risk. I love it. I love getting I love being up against the wall. It's my favorite place.
Speaker 1: Is it because you're best then yeah? Yeah, you need so, you need pressure to create something.
Speaker 2: Yeah. We did a that's that's my favorite place. Actually, we did a sort of a big air contest at a wavepool in Texas. We do one. We're actually the guys are there right now. We're doing one in June in Japan. But it goes around in a way pool and yeah, but the first one we do was in Texas. Met this Texan rancher, amazing guy. Very Texans and Australians are quite similar actually, and we went to this wavepool had this amazing air so he.
Speaker 1: Got his own waypool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's cool. It was really cool. And the thing about surf contest, the thing that makes them so difficult is you can't They don't start four o'clock on a Saturday. They start when mother Nature shows up. So I really liked the idea of having these events. But we did this one. It was like one hundred and twenty grand for the pool us. We're talking one hundred grand for broadcast, and we just nickeled and died to try to have this event. The guy let us pay the day after the event, so let us get ticket sales and pay per view sales and max out our credit cards on the seventy five grand off a friend, and just that. They're the sort of things that have made STAB what it is like. They're just these these moments where like, shit, I hope this thing works, and then it turns out to be one of the big pillars of what we do now.
Speaker 1: And if I could just go back to STAB now, yeah, but I guess we're going back to a period when magazines were paper. Was it similar to Tracks, which Tracks was like a dirty, old, get fucking printed on your finger type magazine. The only two magazines that I remember during that period. I'm not stabished so much. I'm talking about the seventies when I was, when I was buying Tracks magazine, there was there was a glossy surfing magazine called Surfing Australia or Australia Surfing or something like that, Surfing Life something like that was a glossy but it was a bit too it fucking expensive for me. Tracks was a bit more affordable. But the two magazines that were affordable with were a magazine called Ryebald, which is a dirty, filthy magazine, like for young teenagers and young guys, you're just looking at chicks and naked and stuff. And the other one was Tracks, but it was it was sort of like gritty gritty paper, right. It was a big It was a big format. The Tracks was both originally big format, like did you what format did you have when you could stab out?
Speaker 2: Oh, we're just like glossy a yeah, perfect bound with the spine, yeah yeah, player and yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah and so like and like proper photographs, proper photography involved.
Speaker 2: Very expensive produced market and be very expensive to advertising. Yeah yeah, but it worked, Yeah, it worked, it was. But for us, success came once we went digital because it opened up an international market as opposed to domestic market, right, So.
Speaker 1: But in terms of selling your magazine, just through those days, we've been through news agencies, yes, not online, yes, all news agents BA. So you had to sort of hustle to get your magazine next door to whatever else tracks and make sure the right spot and then and then so the digital world then came about, and of course you can then sort of basically exports your magazine and other places. How did you do that? Did you go and get pro surfers to be part of the promotion, like you sponsor them?
Speaker 2: Interestingly, So I had a guy start working with us, a guy named Tom burd So he come from Fairfax. He adspace for Fairfax and he came on in the GFC here and I was all about print and he's like, hey, we need to get on this digital thing. I started a thing, so oh cool, that's good, but I'm going to stick to print. And he said, you're out of your mind. I said, well, I just think this is going to be I think just winning to double down on this. And he's and he's doing really well. He'd like he'd gone through the contacts form of saying for Nike on their website and then Nike wanted our really big clients and just really good at what he does advertising advertising, well, more like a master of the soft sciences, like those guys who are brilliant reading people, real people, sort of those those people who just people warm too. One of those kind of guys always on the client side, not the stab side, which is really good to have. Because he was yeah, and he said, well, I'm out, and I said, what do you mean. He goes, I'm leaving. I said, I want one hundred grand for a website. Otherwise I'm out. And I was like, it's just not a good time, Tom. He goes, just trust me, I'll get this thing paid for. And so he goes, I want to gave him one hundred Grund had the website built. We put a lot of time into the content and kind of made it was sort of rather bean after thought. It was a focus for us, put someone full time on it, and then he paid for the site in six weeks and then all of a sudden advertising yeah wow, and then it just flew.
Speaker 1: But how did you promote that? Had someone in America? How did someone in California find out about your magazine?
Speaker 2: We're never overtly Australian. So we just wanted to sort of connect with whoever's world class, world class photographer, surfar cinematographer. So it didn't you didn't really know where this thing had come from. And so lots of Americans, lots of Brazilians, lots of Europeans, and so when we went digital, it just opened up a whole new market.
Speaker 1: But what are they going to talk about it? So like if I'm if I'm sitting in Brazil or wherever, and there's got to be a name in there that I recognize, or a board or a support shape, or there's got to be a break or something that I recognize as a Brazilian. Like that's a global thing. What worked for your best well pretty much the talent. The talent, yeah, people, Yeah, the people. So like for example, like a Philips Alito from Brazil, how do you preach approach him?
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: Do you have to pay him?
Speaker 2: No, we don't. It's getting more and it's the sort of with the demise of the surf industry, which we probably get to at a point the service aren't on what they were on. So I don't know whether that will last for ever for us where we don't pay talent. Because we pay talent, we put and then we put them in films. We sell those films. So but for the meantime, it's more beneficial for their sponsors to be in STAB and getting exposure, right.
Speaker 1: So yeah, So so the great talent will agree to do it because somewhere in there he will sure is going to have some of the sponsors stuff written on their board.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they're incentivized to be to be in there.
Speaker 1: Yes, and so because yeah, that makes sense because their game is to appear in as many broadcasts as possible. Yes, and in which case you're a broadcaster. Yes, three magazine, online magazine, so it's broadcasting, so that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So we do this Surf through the Year poll. If you do well in that, you get you get bonuses back in the day, if you get a cover, you get a ten or twenty grand bonus on stabs. So those things, there's different incentives for these guys.
Speaker 1: And do Australian surfers resonate around the world, Yes, as well as other countries resonate here. Australian surfers, Yeah, are the best of the best. Are they examples at.
Speaker 2: The moment ethan Ewing is extraordinary. Obviously have Steph Gilmore, Mick founding John Parkinson, but ethan Ewing is our big shot at the world title. He will likely win the world title this year.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And who's the craziest out of all of them?
Speaker 2: Crazy? Out of all the subjects?
Speaker 1: Deal with?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I've I've hung out with the crazies. I used to serve with the guys from a River a lot. They were crazy. Mark Matthews is crazy. Kobe Happenan's crazy, the next generation.
Speaker 1: There's Kobe's living in Balle's where's he living now?
Speaker 2: He's in Bali.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a guy from the south coast of New South Wales, Russ Bierky. He's crazy, probably crazy. I keep saying we're crazy, but yeah he's.
Speaker 1: What were you around Rodkers period from Bondo?
Speaker 2: No, well I know, but yeah, yeah, yeah, he's he's crazy. He's a wild one.
Speaker 1: That was at his wedding on now Yeah. Yeah, Actually he was going to get married many many many minutes ago. No district of his current wife, but and he was going to and he's going to get married with my farm and Byron. The wedding's going to be there and then I remember you me up and said, mate, wedding's off. This is like he had he was engaged with God on Perth. Yeah, do you remember that. It was a fucking disaster. Oh my god. He's a he's a like man, he's crazy, but he's a big way surfer and very good at like sort of pretty feelers.
Speaker 2: When you're out on the surf and you see like a black line coming sort of like comes, it comes up, it looks like it kind of covers the horizon. You see these things come in and your natural instinct just paddle out. Yeah, and they just see it. They hold they just go in a little bit and it's frightening, like you surely you can't be looking at this. They look They put their head down and get this look in their eye and spin and go. It's so confronting.
Speaker 1: What do you think then, what's the makeup of these people?
Speaker 2: Like? Uh, someone like Kobe, I think he's just crazy. And then someone like I don't know whether you know if we're going, named Mark Matthews. He is more. He tries to make a formula for fear. So he sits there and he's like, look up in his eyelids up and just calms down, breathes through his nose and then this chills everything out. And yeah, everyone's different, but yeah, they just have this I don't know whether they fear less, but they just have this appetite for risk. But it's astonishing to watch.
Speaker 1: But some people would say those guys, for example, some of those guys would say Sam Macintosh, like it's pretty weird, like he has this mad appetite for risk in relation to business or just doing some of the shit that you've done. I mean, do you really actually see this much difference? The techniques are difference different and the platform they work on is different, but the process and the outcome are the same in that we all choose to be to take not all of us, but people take Some people choose to take risks in certain areas and are able to manage that risk, that risk taking, all that fear of taking the risk. I mean you do it in business. We're doing a business. Maybe now some more plain sailing, but then you know, back then.
Speaker 2: I guess it's you'd be the same. There's there's situations that you'd be really comfortable in that some people are uncomfortable. And then vice versa.
Speaker 1: Right, So why why in your case is so you're saying the same thing. So why do you think in your case business risk is not really that bigger risk. It's not it's not a bigger deal. Just like some of these guys serve these huge waves, they alsoay it's no big deal, you know, for anyone else seeing this black wall coming up.
Speaker 2: And yeah, there is a sort of there is a correlation, for sure. I like big waves, not to that level, but I really like big surf and there isn't a there isn't adrenaline that comes with it. And so you love your you like the adrenaline, Yeah, I love it. Yeah, Yeah, I love getting I love getting hurt in the surf. But when it's not really bad injuries.
Speaker 1: It's not going to kill you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like those ones. Yeah, but it's it's like the feeling of going out, getting washed around, getting cut up and blood coming out of you. I just it feels I don't know, that's when I feel most life.
Speaker 1: But what do you think that fucking is?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: I like it in business too, by the way.
Speaker 2: It's a good.
Speaker 1: Feeling, right, yeah, I mean like people you say, well, you get in the boxing ring. I actually like getting hit. I mean to give a fuck and I want to does it hurt that doesn't know that much? And now I'm going to give you some back, like I enjoy it. Yeah, it's more a little bit. I don't do it these days because you know, you get brain evage. I'm getting older and stuff too, But I used to love its, like just I don't care fucking throw a punch of that, like, go for it. It's a weird destruct Do you think it's a self destruct thing.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I just yeah, there's something about that, the heart wreck coming up, and that it almost gives you this kind of I don't know, sort of kevlar around you or something, and you kind of it's good to just get pushed your elements, like push your limits a little bit. I don't know what it is. I can't articulate it, but I do like it.
Speaker 1: Because you see these people climbing a rock face without any gear on them, leave no ropes and shit, and I thought, every think, what the fuck, Like you're off your head like crazy, like I can just imagine I can imagine my grip losing my grip from fear your strength sort of disappearing and then then you're fucking four. I ask you, such a rush, and I think that's part of it, Like it's the rush. And there's not that many people who do this in their lives, Like would you recommend? Do you reckon? You could have survived, had a good life without having done these things.
Speaker 2: I don't think I'd be in business, know without the risk, Absolutely not. It was and like we've never we've never had any outside money, unstable, any investment from anyone, so kind of happened, had to answer to anyone. So you can kind of make irrational bets. And that's what I like about it. And it's you, it's only on you. Then you can just it's all about the execution. And then so I do. I do love the irrational bets. So how long would you own stabboard before you sold us?
Speaker 1: So like you sold stam and you brought it back, but like how long would you own stab for?
Speaker 2: For eleven years? Ten or eleven years? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And you were how we when you started like twenty twenty five?
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, twenty five. I sat it thirty five or thirty six? And who'd you sell it? To? Sort it to surf stitch online retailer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the retailer.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So they had this big plan to weave content and commerce together, right yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sort of like a convergence of the two. Yeah, yeah, sort of use the magazine to promote their own brand as well, and hopefully the magazine makes money. So presume it was profitable when they bought it. Yes, so they bought a profitable business merging into their business. You're going to use this profitable business to build an audience who's who's their audience, were part of the audience who buy stuff from them, and then advertise to that audience as well through the magazine. Yeah, that was a theory.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the line with the CEOs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably what he said to you when he was saying with this were doing. Did you stay on when you sold it?
Speaker 2: I did? Yeah, so I my shares were investing, so you get to kind of get the chunk and then shares vested, and so part of my dealers. I moved to the US. My shares vested early, so I moved to the US.
Speaker 1: They to open up a store, opened up the business in the US.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then the surf Stitch in the US.
Speaker 1: No, No, but.
Speaker 2: They had an online retail over there called Swell Right, and so I was sort of working on Swell, working on stab over there, and then the ceo, Justin Cameron, he bailed and then a new CEO came in and he didn't like the strategy. That's when we got unloaded.
Speaker 1: But you brought it back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got really lucky. So we tried really hard on the broader business. They are quite a bunch of quite a bunch of different businesses at that point, and a lot of those founders took the cash and pailed, and so when it came to the negotiation a we were then unprofitable. And then so it wasn't that easy to sell. Surf industry was sort of instructured. Declient media was obviously in structural decline, so there wasn't a cue of people down the street trying to buy surf media. And then we mean a game for so long we kind of knew any potential suitors, my partner and I, and so we started buying the phones, like, hey, if this thing gets bundled up and you buy this thing, we're not we're not involved to so you know that anything loses money and so.
Speaker 1: Which means that turn turn them turn them away straight away. Yeah, so you sort of like condition the market a little bit maybe yeah, yeah, yeah, no, I get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And so then then it was we had the opportunity to buy it back. But tom my partner was like, let's just get this thing done. Let's put a let's put a let's put an offer, and I'm just hold, oh, just relax. We're going to get this thing back. We're going to get it back, which is stressful because if you hadn't lost it for a small fee, like a small sonomenal sum, would be frustrating. But yeah, it all turned out in the end. It's all turned out well in the end.
Speaker 1: And just just like for my benefit, do you think that's an error of the own or the buyer who became the owner to keep in the business the two founders, because to some extent, whilst you've got paid, you're getting paid tranches, and you had effectively probably a turnout or something like that sitting at the end of it at the purchase price. And as something starts to the demise of something starts to change, the owner says, okay, want unloaded. But the problem is you've got the original founders still there. Even though the original founders don't own the shares, they're still owned the business. I mean, to a large extent, to the to the to the broader public. The broader public thinks, so ship like, these guys have been running it forever they founded it. They've been running it. Now if I buy it and they're not going to be there, what am I buying.
Speaker 2: Do?
Speaker 1: That's an error from the buyer dash owner's point of view.
Speaker 2: So so you mean on the person buying it from surf stage, Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, person buying it from you have you stay there as a founder and then getting in to a position where they wanted to resell it or sell it if you're not going to be a go alongside it. But having having had you there the whole time basically sort of kept you in that founder position, which means that if you're going to leave, a new buyer is going to say, way on, these guys are going to live there and set it up to a new one down around the corner exactly. Yeah, So it sort of it negatized the value big time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. It would have been very difficult to sell.
Speaker 1: Put you in control of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we got really lucky so yeah, we did that.
Speaker 1: So you conditioned the market and then you were then did you put a consortium together to buy it or did you buy yourselves?
Speaker 2: It was a dollar Australian.
Speaker 1: Nothing because they were losing money. So basically you would just like stop the bleeding. Yeah, just take it away from us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you know what it's like. You go into a bigger business, You've got to amortize their accounting, their rents and everything else. All of a sudden you got this stress on the business. We weren't running the way we wanted to run it, and so I was like, just let's just cut the bleeding as soon as we can.
Speaker 1: So what what happened? So just to explain to me what happened in the surfing world contraction of digital media or media generally speaking for surfing, What happened? Where did this contraction come from?
Speaker 2: I don't think surf media was anomally at all. I think it's just in the broader media just it went. I guess Internet, social media, YouTube, all of those those outside forces, those exogenous forces, put a pressure on media.
Speaker 1: And they are you saying that those other places like Instagram, for example, they took people away from buying the magazine because I'm getting my thrills by looking at something on Instagram for half a minute or whatever it is, reels or whatever the case may be, TikTok et cetera. So therefore I don't really need to buy the magazine anymore.
Speaker 2: Well, it's twofold, so they can get the audience through your phone. And then the if you want your you're advertising efficient and measure We can't measure the efficiency of a magazine or a billboard, or you can, but it's very difficult. You can. Everything is so measurable when you do it on the phone, going through Google, Facebook, which is Instagram and everything else. So yeah, it was. Yeah, they were pretty significant headwinds. And then what's interesting is the whole time you're in business, you think you have all these enemies. And for us it was like our surfer is the enemy, surfing magazine Transworld or in Australia's Surfing World and.
Speaker 1: Tracks surfing wards when I was seeing a bat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then those magazines go away, like in America Surfer Surfing, Transworld, they are just crumbled. Yeah, the next day your business isn't any better. Yeah, it's not that you kind of realize that never the enemy, the enemy, these outside forced the market, Yeah, exactly, which was really interesting.
Speaker 1: So you went brought it back for a dollar, But like, why did you bother buying it back when you know that there's a contraction? What is it? Because you're just sort of emotionally attached to it or you didn't want to see it die.
Speaker 2: We had a plan for the future. We were kind of knew where we wanted to go. We knew, we hoped that we had a Yeah, we kind of had a business model that we thought could endure. And it's not like because the challenge with all those other magazines are owned by big publishers, so they couldn't move quickly, and it felt like they were in a tanker. We're in a zodiac and we're just zipping around and we could we could move really quickly and then we don't care about risk. So it was like spend here, spend there, don't spend here. But like we're not like we have to make this much money this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like your you still have to get advertisers. Was the demise of STAB under the previous ownership before you before you brought it back, was it about not. Was it about having too heavy an expense relative to the revenues because the revenues had contracted because there was too many other places that advertisers could advertisement.
Speaker 2: It's it's a really good question. So the reason it failed on the surf Stitch where they were trying to build their own platform. So say you're from Hurley and we do one hundred grand deal with you at early, and you're trying to drive sales to your early online store because everyone wants direct to consume a better margin. Makes perfect sense right now. We were under instruction that if Hurley's been one hundred grand, we had to push early traffic back to surf stitch, and.
Speaker 1: How they hang on a seconding any of issues for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so all of a sudden our advertising diminished because who would do up pretty quick?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so effectively being competed on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, And so we became unprofitable really quickly because of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So under the previous owners that you lost advertisers because the advertising model just didn't work. Yeah, But once you owned it, you don't have serf stitch, you're not trying to redirect traffic. You put it back into an even footing, and.
Speaker 2: Then I got the secret weapon, which is my partner who's a complete magician. So I knew we were going to be fine. Do you mean, oh, he's the guy I told you about with the soft science skills. Yeah, he's just he's always in the clade. He build a lot of trust here, will work with people. A marketing director will go from brand to brand to brand, and he'll worked them for ten fifteen years. And every place the new person goes, they call him up, we want to do a deal. And so I knew we had the best chance of success on this advertising model. That was until COVID hit.
Speaker 1: So hawd to go up, until Covid was a mega money Yeah, you reversed it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we grew five hundred percent after.
Speaker 1: I moved to the audience or percent profits well yeah, revenue revenue.
Speaker 2: By moving to the US. That that was the biggest success we'd had, which was great, and then we kind of became a major player. That was sort of we went from being at outside in Australia to an international voice.
Speaker 1: So would that be like one of the biggest magazines today surfing surfing online and serving magazines today?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the tallest mid yet yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's a small business, but yeah, yeah, but yeah we would be but significant, yeah, yeah, in significant in terms.
Speaker 1: And what by the way, you mentioned COVID, what happened covid?
Speaker 2: So covid, we just like everyone else, no one you know what the future is going to hold. And then we got the calls we're out, we're out, We're out. And then that's when we went to a subscription model. Yeah, in the December twenty twenty, so monthly fee or an annual fee.
Speaker 1: And that was the because you know, I could rely upon advertisers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we weren't sure, we wanted we always wanted to do it, and it was just like the push that we needed and so that was absolutely revolutionary for what's.
Speaker 1: A monthly subscription? Is it different levels?
Speaker 2: It's monthly I think is talking US dollars sorry, maybe ten or twelve US right a month and then seventy or eighty annually.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you're so, yeah, so you get discomfort doing it and paying annually. So your business mode now is people get paid subscription as opposed to you lying so heavily on advertisers. Yes, that's pretty sort of modern, you know, that's the bottom way to do things. You sort of I guess you probably are forced into doing that. Yeah, we did no choice, you had to try it out anyway.
Speaker 2: But it's so much easier run a business because you can just you have a consistency, you have a better eye on cash flow. And then as a flips, I think because you get the vanity metrics of social media. So you put up a clip, you might at six million views or how many views on YouTube, which is great, but it's not always a business. And that's where the challenge we were in. And I think these surf brands that get they have really wild up and down success as well. But we're like, hey, we found the people in the world who want to put their credit card down for media. They're the ones they're way more chance of converting to being a customer as opposed to just anyone any of you you're getting on the internet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how'd you work at the price? How do you work out how much will someone pay? What's the right subscription price? I mean, did you say, well, Netflix is twenty bucks a month, so it's got to be less than there? And when how did you work get that out?
Speaker 2: We had a guy who was running the premium and he just came up with it. We kind of sounds good enough to ask, Yeah, kind of ballpark like it was in line in the US with sort of Disney Disney, what is it over there? What have we got here? We've got Binge. They're different, but Disney Netflix, it was sort of ball It sits alongside those. But it's really interesting. You go and see what Netflix spend on content a year, which is like eight billion or whatever, and wear the same price, and we spend say four US on our content. So it's just yeah, it's it's interesting.
Speaker 1: And so given the state of the US at the moment, I remember was heading towards the recession, but it looks like it's come back. It's doing pretty well. Has there been any net effect on your subscriptions post COVID that inflation period, higher rangiust rates both here and in the US or around the world generally, have you seen any change in your subscription base.
Speaker 2: We haven't. We've been lucky. We're still growing. But when you opt out, when you churn out, there's the you can sort of say the reason for leaving, and then the highest rate one is affordability.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, Okay, that's what that's And it's not your affordability. It's your affordability in a whole affordability pack like everything else like cost of living, general, general living, like so I've got to cut some costs somewhere. And so do you see yourself then is stab subscription? Do you see yourself more in the surfing world surfing the people who subscribe? Would you consider yourself as a luxury or a necessity? I think we're a luxury, But can you build yourself into being a necessity? In other words, we're going to tell you shit that you need to know when it comes to do you put up on your website? Do you have like surfing additions in somewhere in America where every would likes to on surf, like you have like a you know, like the wind and the swell and you know, do you have updates?
Speaker 2: Do you when you talk about those? Like So there's surf line, right, which is cameras all around the beaches are all around the world, and surf forecasting that is more of a utility. Ours is sort of more on the entertainment side.
Speaker 1: Right, And we don't have that. You don't have the utility in there because because I was going to ask you, how do you think you can make yourself a necessity as opposed to it, let's call a luxury or a discretionary spend, in other words, non discretionary. I've got a fucking have it. Yeah, it's my drug.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I guess the entertainment is the drug. Like, how vital do you can you be to that audience? I don't know. I don't have the answer to.
Speaker 1: That question because my gap feeling is like the surfing people in the surfing world, they love the drug of entertainment, surfing entertainment and all the ship that goes with it. I mean, I can still remember going sitting I'm one of them. But because I'm like a, you know, like a, I can get quite addictive. We're addicted. I remember. I can still remember to this very day, and it gives me goose. Sitting in a all up the North Coast on sort of plastic chairs watching Morning of the Earth when it first came out. I can still and I can still remember the soundtrack and the sort of the addiction I had towards that, and I actually bought the little tape. We had a tape deck and we used to play it literally we had three tapes with that and you know, a couple of other a couple of other tapes. You didn't have much money, so but that's what we would listen to listen to it. Like it was like impossible for me to go through a day without having listened to that music, only because I wanted to remember back the vision of the movie. It was fucking uncomfortable, hot and it was shitty, but the movie was just was one of the first. But it was unbelievable for me.
Speaker 2: Film heat unbelievable and.
Speaker 1: I'll never forget it. And I would have been if someone had has said to me that, like you can get that high by buying a magazine, and I would have kept doing it because it was a digital back then those days, of course, But can you see you've got great vision of these things. Can you see something that your magazine can present to surface and our surface is still the same sort of people? Are they still the same?
Speaker 2: I think so generally. I think the one the one advantage we have for being in a smaller kind of space. So if you look at say a GQ or an Esquire or a Rolling Stone and they get their cover star that comes in so they again, Edge Shearan or I don't know, Bad Bunny or Taylor Swift. They come in, they do the shoot, they do the interview, they have the lead profile. Really for those businesses to go to move to paywall like the way we have, they kind of need to make expert documentaries and really authoritive just the inside lane, and they're just really where they have their domain expertise. The challenge they have is those celebrities are such big names in their own right. They're never going to do a documentary with Esquire or GQ. They're going to go and do their own deal with HBO or Disney or Netflix or one of the big streamers for US. Dane Reynolds is an amazing poor Twiggy Baker. It's a lot Ferrera. They're huge in our world, but they're not huge. They're not big enough for the streaming world. Mick Fanning could probably go across the streamers, Bethany Hamilton maybe, Kelly maybe. But if we can keep working with these superstars, that's about as vital as we can get. And to create those moments where you have to sign up for what you're talking about, I don't know whether we can create that same chemistry as Morning Girl. I hope we can. But I think us surfing being so small is actually of benefit to us.
Speaker 1: The talent is so small in terms of there's not it's not Tyler Swift, it's not Tello Swift.
Speaker 2: So say we're in soccer and when to do something like messy and those great players do they go and do their own deals. But surfing it's really big and broad, but it's not really it's not too big, So we still have access to those our superstars, and I think that's the way that we can get those people and make ourselves more vital. But yeah, it's I feel I would prefer to I almost feel like I'd prefer to own our business than one of those other ones, because it's like, where do you go from there? How do you go to subscription model and be like sort of words and photos? I know, and that's sort of a hubristic thing to say, but I just wouldn't know how to chart that a path forward for those businesses.
Speaker 1: And what's the visual I I get wound up here, but what's the future of surfing? What is the future surfing? Just on the in globally, I mean, as it reached a Zenethlake as highest point because there's all the competitions. It's sort of like a bit like it's a little bit like cricket, Like you know, there's so many fucking competitions. I just can't keep up. And what happens I stop following cricket as a result of it. During the crickets is during the summer period, so many things going on. There's just too much and it gets diluted. Yes, it's surfing in a similar spot.
Speaker 2: Well, we have the WSL, which are those twelve major events a year, and then have the other events around those, the sort of ones that lead up to those. But they just got such a big field, and just like cricket, it takes a long time to go through the game, surfing takes long time to get through the whole field. And surfing entertainment, whether you're run surf contests or create content like us or Morning You Earth, you're only as good as the wave quality. And it's just not with mother nature. You can't physically have good waves for four or five days out of twelve, just so rarely happens. It actually can happen, but it's very very rare. And so while you've got these big fields of the women have a smaller field, but the men have such a large field. You're just going to have some boring things to watch and you don't know what it's on. If you knew that surfing was going to start at four o'clock on a Saturday and it was the eight to twelve foot pipeline, it would be as compelling as any other sport. But you just win tides.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, see it's too many, too many uncontrolled variables.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we can't like, we can't be consistent. Yeah, we can't have a barbecue and watch a game, watch the surfing at four o'clock on a Saturday. Yeah, it's just not a chance. And then we're in Europe. I think it's going to start, Then the tides are wrong and so it starts at midnight, and so you have to.
Speaker 1: Be an actual die hard, be prepared to fucking wait. Yes, and that's it's a bit like not like the UFC. So the UFC is going to be on Saturday after at one o'clock, and you know it's going to be Volcanosi versus blah, and you know what you're in for exactly. It's much more control. So that's why. Yeah, it's not going to be the same not that it's definitely not the same product.
Speaker 2: No, And you just really have no idea what you're going to get. Yeah, and when it all comes together, it's incredible. It might be as exciting as that as those matches. Yeah, but the nine percent of the time it's not, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Because it doesn't all come together. Yes, and it sort of can be I don't want to say it because sort of boring. Boring but underwhelming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just sort of background noise.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Yeah, So where to for me? What's what's what's next?
Speaker 2: We're gonna do more of our events in wave pools.
Speaker 1: Wave pools much more predictable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're more predictable. You start at four o'clock on a Saturday. Yeah, And we're just trying to do more documentaries, more of those deeper storytelling things like the were like the one you talked about, the Surfboard one, and yeah, just follow that way, kind of grow our subscriber base, run more events, keep having fun with.
Speaker 1: That and how much time you spend Australia.
Speaker 2: Now I'm here most of the year. I did actually I did a two months stint. Well, yeah, two months into three months in the US. I just was in the US last week for a week, so I kind of do maybe a third of the year there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you give and do you live in Byron. Did you go back down to your folks if he's still an am Gary, Yeah, yeah, did spend much time down there, Yeah, quite a lot.
Speaker 2: Actually, yeah, it's good to get back down there and seeing them. And there's just there's quite good surf. Actually there's a terrible surf there.
Speaker 1: Now, no, no, no, sorry, yeah, yeah, there's been. There's been. I was up there last week. A lot of swell around them. Like in fact, I went to meet Ginge for breakfast and I turned on he was standing there with his shirt off, was like seven o'clock in the morning, seven thirty more to be just coming from a surf, looking magnificent. Ginge as usual, but in the middle of the in the middle of the cafe. But he just come back from a surf. He said, it was pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been a good run. Autumn is always the best time.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, well same, thanks very much. That was great. And I actually when I got to Byron, ext I'll look you up. Yeah, good sceneing you mate.
Speaker 2: Hey, really nice to meet you. Thanks for having me, Sam mean, I appreciate it.