Speaker 1: Apoday production.
Speaker 2: We begin today by acknowledging the traditional custodians of the land on which we gather today and pay our respects to their elders past and present. We extend that respect to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people's here today.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Grow and Glow Podcast. I'm Ashy, I'm Kiara. This is a podcast where we learn, laugh, and level up together.
Speaker 3: Let's go deep, let.
Speaker 1: The emotions flow, and find the lessons to grow and Glow.
Speaker 3: Nothing is off the table with Grow and Glow, and we're here to be your expander.
Speaker 1: Hello Gay, Welcome back to Grow and Glow.
Speaker 3: Welcome back, Welcome back, Mabe. We're in a high vibe. We've had our decaf coffee ready to go. We're actually in a really bad night's sleep and we're both not having coffee. But we feel good.
Speaker 1: I feel great, so good.
Speaker 3: If you have not listened to our Addictions episode before this one, actually go and listen to that.
Speaker 1: One, Yeah, because it'll make this have so much more understanding.
Speaker 3: Yes, it gives a lot more context as to what we're about to talk about. So go listen to that first, then come back and hear us today. Yeah, but let's get into our share of the week. What have you got for us this week?
Speaker 1: This is something I've actually already recommended you aure The Voyeurs on Prime. Have you watched it yet? No? The movie Oh my gosh. So basically it's got Sydney Sweeney in Absolute Babe. By the way, Yeah, I'm like, isn't she Her and her boyfriend move into this new apartment. They are just such like this series.
Speaker 3: Not a movie, right, it's a movie. I looked it up and it was a series. Someone if they've made it into a series as well, baby.
Speaker 1: So it's a movie. And then move into this apartment and they realize that the view of the apartment across the road they can fully see into their apartment and their lives are really wild. So they start to like spy on them. And it starts off really lighthearted, like oh my gosh, like he's a photographer and she starts seeing him like bang them off. Yeah, and they're like watching like, oh my gosh, it's a heatic. And then it starts to get like more and more in depth and they start to like do all these different things about it. Listening to the conversations and they start to get addicted to watching their life unravel. The twizzt at the end I would have never expected. And it is just one of those shows where like, once you start, you just need to keep watching. Wow, you and Steve will both love it. Okay, the voy is it's v O y e U r S on Prime.
Speaker 3: I think we looked it up, but I swear it's that a series. When we're wanting a movie that night. Yeah, to look at the game. It's so good, so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's your share of that?
Speaker 3: My share of the week is something Steve shared with me that he's been He put like a post it note on the front of his computer. It was after I found out about my surgery and everything, and I think it's a lot for a husband, you know. He had stepped up and taken on a lot of my roles and just trying to support me emotionally. And it's just been a big couple of months. And while he's doing this, he's obviously still running Hideaway and he's busy being a dad, and he was just having a bit of a hard time and he felt like the things he was trying to solve just weren't working and he listened to something I don't know, it must have been a podcast or a YouTube clip, and it's called when the day, and when you feel like you're trying to juggle a million balls and nothing's working out and you can't find solutions to the problems and you feel like you're at a dead end, or something really bad happens at work and you're like, fuck, this is really going to make this hard, or how do I do this? And he runs a ship, so it's really lots on his shoulders, and it was just basically, every single day you can write us to do list or whatever, but just whatever you've got on for that day, tick things off and feel like you've won the day. Don't focus so much on the end goal or the week goal. Just every single day, know that you've won the day by ticking a few little things off. And he feels so much more accomplished when he's actually done this, and he can walk away from his desk being like, I've won the day because I've got this done and this done and this done, Whereas when he was just like in the middle of it, in the chaos, in the noise, he was walking away feeling really defeated each day, just being like, fuck, this went wrong, this happened, I didn't hear back from this person, paid all these bills like it just was feeling a lot. But he put that in front of him, win the day, and he writes out us the do list. He crosses it off each day, and he can walk away being like, I've won the day. And it might not have the solutions to the big problems and the end goal isn't there yet, but he feels good walking away being like, yes, I've won the day.
Speaker 1: I love.
Speaker 3: It's just a mindset switch for something to focus on and something to just pep you up at the end of a long, hard day.
Speaker 1: I found that I've spoken about this before, but I used to find that on a Monday, I used to get really frazzled because I felt like I had so much to do. So what I've started doing actually is at the start of the week, writing at a list of things I need to do for the week that I have to get done, and I'll try to evenly spread them out. Otherwise it gets to Monday and I felt pressure at the start of the week, like I need to do that. I don't want to forget, so I kind of shuffle it through. It's kind of a similar thing. It's like shortening the amount of pressure you're putting yourself all.
Speaker 3: That day and just saying to yourself, I've won the day. Oh, like just giving yourself that positive affirmation and confirmation like I've won the day. Yeah, It's really helped, and I've since then, I've started writing out to do lists as well, and whatever I get through, I'm always going to pick out the things that are most important, and then if they don't get done, I just write out my next to do list for the next day and I put it on top of my laptop when I come in the next day. That's just what I've got to tackle. And it just takes the pressure off too, because you can only carry so much information in your brain and only remember so much, especially when you are juggling so much. And this is all going to change for me pretty soon. I don't think we're going to have as much on my plate. But if you ask someone who is highly stressed and you've got a lot on your plate, a lot on your shoulders, it's just a really nice little theory to kind of live by each day.
Speaker 1: Beautiful yeah, So today we're going to be talking about our digital detox that we had at Eden. Have you ever had that long off your phone?
Speaker 3: So back in the day, a long time ago, when Taji's little Baby and the trolls were really, really bad, I used to have a couple of I titled them blackout weeks or blackout days, and it was when I would just like go off social media because I just mentally wasn't coping. That's probably the last time I'd done it. But that was honestly, like eight years ago.
Speaker 1: And I'm obviously in a bad state then, not one to like ah and be off your phone. No, I was in a highly stressed, like suicidal state. That was like my I've got to go off, can't show up. So that was a long time ago, and to be honest, I haven't felt like I've needed that, But of course we all need it. Of course we should not be on all the time constantly, like emotionally, having these cords plugged into anyone and everyone taking in all this information and noise of pages of social media platforms, of staff of whoever. We all need to take a break and step away from the device. But we just don't schedule it in because life's busy and things need to get done right until you're forced to. I don't think I've ever had a full day off my phone until we went to eat and like a full day yeah go. But anyways, I said to Ashley Rap before we started recording this episode that I've got a crazy statistic that I wanted to share with her on the podcast. And I think this will make all of us just go like, what in the world. Okay, okay, you're ready to blow your socks off. I'm ready, the socks are on. Yeah, okay. So doctor Adam Alter, one of the top psychology experts and professors in the world, share this statistic. On average, you will spend twenty years of your life just scrolling through your phone. Imagine it's the end of your life and someone says, would you like twenty extra years and your answer is no, I'd rather have spent twenty years scrolling mindlessly.
Speaker 3: On my phone. Wow.
Speaker 1: Twenty years. So if you until you're eighty, that's like how much of your life?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's crazy, like a fourth of your life? Yuck?
Speaker 1: How insane? That's the average person.
Speaker 3: Oh man, doesn't that hit really? Does you? Don't realize how much you're on your phone. No, you don't realize it until you get to experience not being on it. Yeah, and that's what we got to experience, which was really cool. Yeah. So, as you guys know, we've that a whole episode on it. We went to a beautiful health a treat called Eden Incredible. I've been to a few different health to treats, but none like this. It's so hard to explain because even when I explained to someone, they were like, oh, well, you know, I'm not going to pay that money to go and relax. I'm like, no, it's not just like go and relax. There's so much about it. But one of the things is where they're located. They're situated out in crumbed and there's no reception. No unless you're at the actual reception. Yes, up at your cabin, up at dinner, there's no reception.
Speaker 1: Whever you're in a class. Your phone's not just going off before. That's the thing that was really cool too. When you're waiting in between doing things, you realize how much you're just scrolling your phone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, get down, yeah, do this, do that.
Speaker 1: So if we go back to the beginning, how did you feel once we found out that there was going to be digital detops Because we didn't know right away. It came to a point and I remember a message and I was like, oh, there's no single out bet.
Speaker 3: I was excited so ready. I just found out that wee can had to have brain surgery. Obviously, you guys now know I'm closing down baseline on my brain. I just well, I felt so burnt out and so ready. I needed to reconnect with myself. I needed to have slow down time. The noise of life was just too much. So I was really excited to actually be almost forced to have this time. But I didn't have to look after anyone or do anything. So I had a few people be like, oh, are you, like, are you nervous to not be in contact with the kids, and aren't you worried? I'm like, no, I trusted with my life.
Speaker 1: And they also had an emergency number. Yeah, so they would let us know they can call them and know if anything happened.
Speaker 3: But I trust him with my life, which of course I trust him with my children. They absolutely adore him. Yeah, so I knew they'd be in safe, very capable hands. So now that wasn't a thought of like, oh my god, they're going to die without me. I was actually a Okay.
Speaker 1: I was nervous. I have never been this long without my phone. I've never been this long without working. To be completly honest, I think that's the first time I've ever gone a day without jumping on my stories.
Speaker 3: Yeah, probably me too.
Speaker 1: I just had this story in my head that it was a daily thing that I just did, and I do love it. I genuinely love it, but it was also nice to know that I don't have to do it every day. But yeah, in the lead up, I was nervous. I was like the kid thing was definitely a bit of a worry and a story I told myself. But once I got there, you can just walk down to reception and FaceTime them. Not only that, but you're so busy connecting with yourself, connecting with other people, learning, doing things that you actually don't want to be on your phone. And I would have taken away from the experience so much.
Speaker 3: Agree. Yeah, one hundred percent agree, Because even when we went down to reception to like call the kids, because they both called out husbands and kids every night, and I love that. It was so nice to connect with them and just tell them about the day and whatever. But I remember there was times where I automatically, out of habit, went to click to check my Instagram, and I was like, eh, I don't want to yuck, Like it felt yucky because it takes work and it was going to take me out of my experience, out of my state. I would then be taking an information I didn't want to hear or see or take anything else in because I went in intentionally. This was my time to get, this was my time to process, This was my time to just be and not be doing so I didn't even click into it, like I didn't want to see what anyone else was doing. Yeah, and it's cool because it's like when you're experiencing that, it's like do you really care what everyone else is doing?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 3: Does anyone really care? Like why are we so addicted to like look and what other people are doing? I know I really need to know, not really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I've said this before to Ashy and I think on the podcast as well. But while being there, even work wise, like with love Ellis Rose, you think that the world won't keep functioning without you being on your phone. But it actually does. But there's this story in my head one hundred percent that made me think I always have to be at access, I always have to have it on me. I always need to make sure I'm checking it every half an hour hour.
Speaker 3: It's like, why, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just went like three days without checking out out all throughout the day and just having a look to call my husband. And I didn't got on the Instagram app once. Yeah, doing on my emails once.
Speaker 3: It's so free. Yeah. So yeah, surprisingly it felt amazing. It felt really good. At one point I was like, ah, I think I could live like this. Oh gosh, Like this would be so nice to be out in a farm with my kids and have no social media and no internet and just live my life. Yeah. It was really really nice to experience. And obviously for a lot of us that isn't reality, and I knew that, but I also was like, I can take more of this energy and implement that more into my life, so I've got a more healthy balance, because it's not like, you know, you've got that pendulum swing. It's like you all the way over there and then you swing it all the way the other way. Yeah. It showed us and it's now it's like, Okay, there's a happy medium where we do love social media. I love connecting with my audience. I love sharing. This is why we have a podcast. Yeah, we love talking. We love sharing our lessons, sharing the ups and downs, and helping to empower other women. And we've got this platform, we've got this voice, we've got this opportunity where we can make a positive impact. So it's not putting down our phones and social media. I love it, I live for it. I do, but there's got to be about and there's so much more living to be had off your phone.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So that's like what we learned throughout that process. But let's go over, like, what was one of the top things that you learned without having your phone with you?
Speaker 1: The top thing I learned is that I don't need to have it. I kept leaving it everywhere. Yeah, raising my phone. I remember, I was just so in the habit of like having it on me. So I would be sitting somewhere and then i'd have it down. I'd be like, oh, where's my phone again? And then I go back to somewhere I was four hours ago on my phone, be sitting on the bench and I was like.
Speaker 4: Oh, so, yeah, I think it just really showed me that it's okay to have that boundary with my phone, of I don't need to be so attached to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how about you? How much more in tune I was with how I feel each day, because I feel like I am in a bad habit of getting up in ball admit it, call myself out. I get up, I check my emails, I clean my DMS, I get started for the day. Before I go to bed, I do the same thing like I feel like I need to be on I don't want to let any staff down. I need to check website, I need to check stop. I just feel like I need to check everything. So while I'm doing all of that, I'm missing moments to check in with how I actually feel. So if I don't know how I feel each day, how can I plan my day and honor myself and give my body and my nervous system and my energy and my kids what it needs, what they need. I can't I miss those opportunities because I'm tuned into my screen. So having those days, I actually would just wake up and like wake up and smell the roses.
Speaker 1: Literally go to a meditation class.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look outside, smell the air, Listen to a couple of birds. Sounds like airy fairy, but this is what I do. Take some breaths, take your time, just up, take your ice in a row. I felt so calm and I could really just tune into what was coming up for me. And then I also like journaled a lot more because I had that space that I got to get really clear on my next chapter and where I'm going, what I'm feeling, and I got to write it all out and it just made me feel so much more connected with myself and so much more like not a cocky way, but it's more in love with who I am. I really like this slow, calm, regulated ashy Yeah, I like her better than the one that's always hustling on the go and just attending to everyone and anything. And it was like, why am I doing all of that? I feel like I need to rescue everyone and help everyone and be there for everyone, and yes, I love that about me, but I can be better at that and do it properly and more intentionally when I look after me first, and that needs to be to switch off at definitely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how did you find when you first came out.
Speaker 3: I didn't want to go back on neither. I struggled the.
Speaker 1: First few days. I didn't go on that Sunday at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, i'd been away from my family. I was like, I just want to see them. But it was such a nice state.
Speaker 3: Hey, it was really Yeah, it was an emotional state, a very regulated state. I remember the first when I went back, Steve had to go somewhere. I think Taji went with him, and just my energy just bounced off to Tala. She was just in the best mood, so excited to see me. We just had such a calm afternoon. I was cooking and I bought all the Ciganex food and I just felt so at ease and flowy and so feminine. I was so open to like receiving and talking and just like, yeah, it was beautiful. I was like, I want and I need more of that in my life, which is another realization of why I've closed down baseline as well. It was like, I physically, emotionally mentally maybe don't have the skill set or the boundary. I just can't do that while I'm so stressed at work, and while I've got so much on my plate and such a big to do list. I can't.
Speaker 1: That makes sense.
Speaker 3: I've tried for so long and I can't, and it doesn't feel good anymore now that I've experienced that. For me to be able to have more of that, I've had to pull back and close that and say no to different things so that I can be more of that. And I know now that's where I want to be and how I want to feel, so to do that now actually needed to be taken. I needed to swap things aroundly that excites me that I can be more of that.
Speaker 1: I reckon we should talk about too, like what we've implemented now we've come out, because these are probably things that everyone listening.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's easier when you're on a retrain, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Because I have implemented quite a bit, have you as well?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Definitely, I've got some more tips of things that like I learn in there, though, I'll go for it. Maybe we'll go over those first. One thing that I really struggle to find time to do is read. And I love reading. I really really do love reading. And when I was in there, I read a whole book and I just had so much more time and space. But even when I'm reading at home, even with my phone being next to me, I'm thinking about work, and I'll quickly just pick it up and go, oh, just clear a couple of deems because there might be one hundred in there. Yeah. Or you're like, I don't have any notifications of vibrations on it's ionn't had that in a long time. But I'll pick it up and just go, I'll just clear this because then I can relax and read. And then half an hour's down the track and I'm still going, and I'm like, oh, just finish it off, and then you know, Tarlow wakes up or whatever, and I missed it, missed that opportunity. Now it's even having it there. So that was really nice to realize how much more I enjoy reading. But I can't have my phone near me. So now when she sleeps, like say on the weekend or whatever, my phone in the bedroom and go read in the loundroom because if it's not near me, I don't think about it. Yeah, that was really cool.
Speaker 1: I have found, similar to what you've just said, I have way more time for things that I thought I didn't have time for. I felt like I don't have time to cook I've been cooking so many beautiful, yummy, healthy recipes from scratch, and I always told myself I didn't have time to do that. But now that i have this boundary with my phone where I'm not constantly checking emails, checking this, or just getting stuck on it because it is an addiction, I'm realizing all these things that I thought I didn't have time for here and you're actually putting your phone down here. Now, how are you actually put your phone down? You actually have time for it, things that you enjoy, that connect you with you, that make you lean more into that regulated nervous system, feminine energy. So I feel like a lot of these things that I've thought I didn't have time for, it's actually me deciding to put that boundary in place to create the space and time you.
Speaker 3: Really do make time for what's important in what matters to you most. Because we're opposite, they're like, I'll always make time to cook and you'll aways make time to read. But we both have a story my stories. I don't have time to read your stories. I don't have time to call it. Is that my oppositeuse? You probably look at me and be like, oh, you get up early? You can read, you know, sure you can, but we've got offices. I just noticed. It's so funny, interesting. You'll make time for what's important. Hey, yeah, what matters to you most? Yes, so like reading it. It just does so much good for you. So you always find time to read. And I admire it so much. I wish I had a discipline.
Speaker 1: Without the same as cooking. It's healthy meals that you can make, and it's just so nice and relaxing. Yes, but it's just like all these little pockets at time, Like we said, you might go, I'm just gonna quickly check this time, get quickly check it. No, you kind of sit there for longer than you think. But if you just say to yourself, no, this whole hour, how much can you get done in an hour if you're your phone down and you don't get distracted.
Speaker 3: So productive that when she sleeps, if I don't have my phone, I will cook so many meals. The whole house is clean. I've read three chapters in my book. Yeah, but if on my phone, it goes by like that, and I'm like, what did I even do?
Speaker 1: Nothing?
Speaker 3: Wonded to DMS and eat. Oh I gota waited till Monday. Yeah, one thing Eden really helped. We keep mentioning this retreat. But this is where it all start. Yeah, it started for us, and it really changed so much of our life. But what I didn't realize I needed was time and space to process and grief. I think when I found out about my brain aneurysm and came to the decision to close down Baseline, I was processing it as much as I could. But even the moment I got home from the hospital from finding out that news, my kids are there, It's like I had to park it. I had to park it to the side and get on with being a mum. And the next day I had to go to work and life just goes on. And I was thinking about it, but I wasn't allowing a lot of time to process it. So I had the time to actually like breathe my old business. Even I know it's the right decision, there's still parts and I'm like, oh, that's sad, like that has been such a big part of my life and it's changed. And then just process the fact that I've had this health scare and I'm going to go through this surgery and there is risk involved, and yeah, I had time to just process that and come to peace with it. So I needed that time. But if you don't give yourself space, you do just park so much to the side, and over the years, like how much have we all suppressed? There's so many stored files and our brain, our body and our cells that were just stored there, and it becomes toxic and it comes out in anxiety and stress and other things because we're not moving through it. So it's really nice. I didn't realize how much I needed that moment, and it was just one day on the Saturday, had a long bath, I read heaps and I journaled so much, and I was sitting in the chair and I actually like set up my camera just to get like ten fifteen seconds for real of me journaling, and I just cried. I forgot the camera was even there. But I just cried and cried and cried. But it wasn't like a sad, no poor me cry, It was just just release. Tears were just like energy. It was just this energy that I was bottling in because the show must go on. But I just I had that space where I didn't have to be anywhere, I didn't have to attend anywhere. I wasn't going to get interrupted by anyone unless you knocked on my door, which you didn't. I keep sleeping f in a bath or something, but I just know I could just let it or go and release. But yeah, that was really really special for me. That's nice.
Speaker 1: It was really perfect timing for you.
Speaker 3: Oh, Like I keep saying, the universe has fully had my back, perfect perfect timing.
Speaker 1: I feel like it was one of the only times in my life where I actually completely switched off. I feel like when I'm at home and even if I put even if you put your phone down, there's the to do list of the stuff you're looking around the home, the mental load, but also having the no mental load, everyone looking after everything, and then also no phone to distract me.
Speaker 3: I feel like.
Speaker 1: It's one of the only times in my life where I've actually completely switched off and just been And it was really beautiful.
Speaker 3: One thing that I really really noticed and was one of the highlights of our old troop. And we also went with our two producers, which we have just grown such a nice bond with absolutely adore them, like I feel like they've been our friends forever and I feel so close with them and so comfortable with them and just the people now that I feel like if I was stuck with something or upset, like I could go to and they would just be there, like you could knock on their door and they would just open it up. Yep. And we got to spend the four days together and I just noticed beautiful conversations, like we have beautiful conversations on the podcast through voice note like whenever we see each other. But because there was no phones ever there, they never got interrupted. You guess someone you're with people and they just ran to pick up their phone or they quickly replied to someone or get interrupted by a phone call. I felt the connection really deepened between you and I and Katie and Jay because there was no distractions. We really got to go deep. We were all so present from not having any phones, and it just made me realize how beautiful the connections can be when you're not distracted by the outside noise on your phone. And that just really filled my heart and filled my cup up so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I feel like too, because there were so many vulnerable moments that happened while you're there because you're not distracted to be able to actually go through all that together. It definitely deepens a connection.
Speaker 3: And everyone felt safe because they were so regulated to open up. Yeah, it just opened up more and more. It was so special. It was so nice. Yeah. The other thing that I just noticed was how long and slow the days were. Oh yeah. It was like I didn't even wear my watch because I didn't want to be distracted by steps or time or anything. It was just so nice to just not worry about where we're going, what we're doing, needing to be anywhere. Like I can't tell you as a parent how relaxing that is, because with kids it's like school drop off, pick up, school sports, her, nap times, feeding times, snack times, like everything's just there's so much going on all the time. To be able to just go with the flow, and there's up to eight activities you can do each day you can pick and choose or like those, we just did nothing. It was so nice, and that was just really made me really just drop in and be so present and just soak up every minute and every minute just felt so beautiful. And when you stop like that, you can also just notice the beauty in the world, world, in nature, in yourself, in other people, in like freaking butterfly that flies past you just like noticing all those little moments.
Speaker 1: You're not missing them passing by by looking down at your phone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you miss so much. That was really nice, just to just enjoy the day and how long they were loved it. Even though it went fast, it went slow as well. It did.
Speaker 1: I feel like we could fit so much.
Speaker 3: In because ofhis Yeah. And then the last thing for me was just how regulated I felt. I felt so calm. I've never ever in my life experienced that level of calmness. I think it really started for me for my first treatment on the first day, which was such good timing, Like that massage I had. I've never had a massage like that. It was incredible. But you saw me, I was like in an altered state.
Speaker 1: It looks like you'd had like a forty eight hour sleep, or she like had a hair off with her eyes. She's like or.
Speaker 3: Taken like a brownie or something. Right. I was just like off on another planet. I remember just trying to string my sentences together and I was like, I can't even express how I feel. I felt so calm, like I.
Speaker 1: Can talk right now, And I was like, that's fine, babe, honestly, but I was like this kind of level of vibration, Like, this is what I want to be on more much if I felt like this calm and happy all the time.
Speaker 3: And obviously that's not reality, but like I keep saying, it's just tapping into that more often, to have more moments in our day, in our week, in our month of that energy. Yeah, but I think so much of us are in this go go go hustle. Has a hustle. It becomes our normal to be stressed and in a shitty state all the time, and then a year goes by and it's like, oh, that was a shit. Yeah no, we don't want that. It's up to us to be conscious and aware. And this is the thing. I know. Not everyone can get to a retreat, but if you can, it really is a total new reset.
Speaker 1: It really is you what you can do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it shows you what's possible. It allows you to experience those energies, and then you learn so much about yourself and about your life. You reevaluate everything. So it really is such a good reset. So I feel like if you're feeling really lost or stuck or confused, or going through a divorce or something really hard finding out a health scaree like this has just been such the perfect reset for me to be like, Okay, this is how I want to enter and how I'm choosing to enter into my next season or chapter. That was really cool. So what have you implemented since like leaving.
Speaker 1: The biggest thing is obviously being off my phone shitload more like so much more.
Speaker 3: So tell us about a boundary, like how have you done that?
Speaker 1: I've turned every single notification except for phone calls, even text messages. I check them in the morning, I check them in the ARVO when I have space and time. So rather than it going off and me being like, oh, I need to get back to that person, that's who I am. Like when I see it and I know it's there, it keeps replaying in my mind. But if I haven't seen it or opened it yet, then when I go to check it, I'm like, oh, these few people have messaged me. And then I get back. You know, and you're probably.
Speaker 3: More present as well, definitely is you're ready.
Speaker 1: And I have space and time to like really like write out a beautiful message back to my girlfriend or be present with the things that I want to say and really listen as well, So like if you send me a voice message about something that's going on, rather be like listening and kids screaming in the background and trying to do this and trying to do that, I'm like upstairs on my own, I'm like, oh my gosh, okay, what would I like? You know what I mean? I can actually take the time out to really respond. So I think that's been a huge one for me, And saying with all my email notifications, just every single thing on my phone is turned off, but my phone calls because I'm like, if anyone desperately needs me, they can call me, you know. So that's been a huge one. And then other boundaries is just literally leaving it alone more and it's hard. I catch myself still. I'm like Kiara and like, look at the screen. Time on your phone is a really good way to kind of look at that, maybe give yourself a goal that you want to hit, or even get it down a bit. But like for me, it takes away from so much like even me trying to tap into that feminine energy or like think about the wife I want to be with my husband when the kids go down. If I don't ring my phone upstairs with me when I'm getting ready in the evening. I find it's beautiful. I can go up there, take my time in the shower with some music on the Google Play, and take my time getting all nice and ready for bed, think about my husband, think about the things I'm grateful for the day. I'm not being distracted by my phone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've had my notifications off for a long time, and I love that. I love that you've done that because I never know if I get to text, message and tool, like even on your home screen. I've got my Snapchat because Tash is with Tala. Yeah, that's the only notification that I've got. I have to actually unlock my phone and then like, oh, I've got a message.
Speaker 1: See mine doesn't even show up down there. Oh so it's not until I actually click into it now that it will come up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've got the little red thing on there. That's good when you click into a Yeah, because if my baby just tried to reach out, I want to make sure I can like see that. And something I did about six months ago is in the afternoon, I'll leave my phone in my room. I've been trying to do that more. Yeah, So like whenever I can whenever I feel like I just want to keep checking or I don't know, I'll just leave it in my room. It's on weekends, I've been doing it a lot more. And when I go out on the weekends, i've been not taking my phone.
Speaker 1: Well that's nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And if I want to capture like a cute video thing, I know sed he's got his phone with him. I'm with the kids. No one needs to contact me that urgently. So I'll leave my phone at home purposely, which is really nice because I feel the same like I feel like I need to show up on stories and be on the all the time, and I enjoy that. I love creating content. But I've been leaving it at home for parts of the time and go out and I'm just so much more present with the kids.
Speaker 1: So good. I feel like too when I'm getting on Stories now, I'm going on there with more purpose. I don't feel like I need to go on there to just be like, you know, check in or do this. I'm like going on there when I have somebody to share it, or something cute to show, or you know, some moment to make another mom feel.
Speaker 3: More valuable to exactly I'm not just going.
Speaker 1: On there fluffing around. And because I'm off my phone, I'm experiencing more and I'm learning more about myself. More to share, yes, more purpose like purposeful content to share when I got on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just here, stronger boundaries around the phone, and I just know how good I felt stuff. I want to keep feeling like that. I need to implement more of that. Yeah, But it's a fine balance. And like as we're talking all of this, Yeah, I won't lie. It's not easy, and there is some days and I'm still like, I still go on my phone first thing in the morning, but I've definitely broken that habits not as often anymore. And I think when I don't have baseline, it'll be instant easy for me because I won't have the stress the pressure of the staff to attend to. Yeah, like I do now, I'm really excited for it.
Speaker 1: That does make it really hard when you've got stuff and things to darn it. I feel like I was regularly checking my phone a lot in the morning when we had you know, Heed's going on.
Speaker 3: It's a boss you kind of I don't know if it's a story, but you kind of have to be on if your staff are waiting for something and you've put a deadline and you're not replying. They don't know what to do with the website or the stock or updating this or prices or anything.
Speaker 1: So on calls and sick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know before the dates you have then exactly, you do need to be on so much more. So I'm really looking forward to not having that, and I think it's going to be so much easier for me to implement way less phone time as we're sharing all of this. It's not easy, but it's possible, and it's just taking small steps. So if you find you're definitely addicted and you're not having time to meditate or go to the gym or whatever, I just look at your screen time, catch yourself.
Speaker 1: That's a hard truth when you look at your screen time.
Speaker 3: Even at nighttime, like maybe your phone in your bedroom and when you're watching Netflix, like get down and stretch or like connect with your partner, like just fill those gaps in with more beautiful moments that are more important to you. Love that, Yeah, but you've got to be so aware. You've got to have so much self awareness.
Speaker 1: And even the connecting part. How you said that when I'm going to my shower in that. That's such a nice time now that I've found before I used to freaking do not what I used to do. I used to put YouTube on and stick it on the screen in my shower and watch a YouTube video whilest having a shower, and I'd be like, oh, I'm watching like fun videos and that, and now like I love not anything, just connecting with myself. Yes, you know, I have that as a moment, and that's kind of like one of those anchors in my day. It's an anchor where I'm like, hey, bring it all back to you. And I feel like the connecting part, Like, you're exactly right, I'm not scrolling and checking my phone now when I'm laying and watching a TV show or movie with my husband, I'm cuddling with him and we're like laughing together and I'm not like missing things and half watching and half exactly a present.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't have phone at night and family and with Steve, it's just not worth it for what, Yeah to watch a couple of funny videos or something. Yeah, I want to watch a funny video, get up on the TV and all snuggling together and watch it together. You know have those moments. Yeah, so huge takeaways, huge lessons and huge things to implement. So even if you can take one or two of these away and trial it and just feel the impact it has on you and your connection your family, it's so worth it.
Speaker 1: So worth it. And if you do try it, come over to the forum and let us know what you're doing to make it easier and also how you're feeling.
Speaker 3: M hmm. PS. If someone tells you that you can't do something, they are showing you their limits, their beliefs, not yours. That's so true you can't do something. It's like that's their own projection. Who says you can't do something because they say? Someone says that to me, it makes me want to do it more. Amena that if people told me I couldn't be a personal trainer, I was like you watch yeah, I'll show you yeah.
Speaker 1: Ps. Stop chasing distraction, normalize stillness, silence, being alone or bored. Sometimes we needed detox from overstimulation, to ground and calm our.
Speaker 3: Body beautiful, very relevant, very relevant, love it. Thanks so much for joining us.
Speaker 1: We'll see you Wednesday.
Speaker 3: By bye.