Speaker 1: Late Well girl, the Late Debate. Well, it's great to have your company on the Late Debate. I'm James Macpherson, Will Liz Staer and birthday boy Caleb Bonb.
Speaker 2: Happy birthday, Thank.
Speaker 3: You very much. It's terrible that I am now an old man. I'm over the hill and I don't know. They'll probably sack me tomorrow for being too old. But still, it's nice to be here.
Speaker 4: It's a quarter century that gray hair boy I have.
Speaker 3: Actually, I looked in the mirror the other day and I noticed a couple of grays and I thought, oh my god, we're really in trouble here.
Speaker 5: Well, the good news is you get to spend your birthday with us.
Speaker 3: And who else would I want to spend it with but my Late Debate family, and that.
Speaker 2: Of course includes all of you at home who let me into your lounge rooms and bedrooms every night. It's a pleasure.
Speaker 5: Well, happy birthday again. Let's get into the program.
Speaker 1: We've got a lot coming up, including Victorian MP's promoting pill testing. Fair enough, but wait till you see what they were wearing when they moted.
Speaker 5: It will show you that later. Plus we'll look at the papers of course.
Speaker 1: Peter Dutton's nuclear plan is across all of tomorrow's papers.
Speaker 5: We'll talk about that later.
Speaker 1: And speaking of plans, the Gold Coast Bulletin outlines a plan to improve surface paradise.
Speaker 5: Get this, Caleb and Liz.
Speaker 1: They're proposing cheaper alcoholic drinks at surfers that Linkbil.
Speaker 4: Caleb's already booked.
Speaker 2: That's where I'm going on the weekend.
Speaker 1: Let's start the program in the UK, where CCTV cameras are being used at train stations to secretly monitor people's emotions. The cameras were originally installed at eight train stations in a bid to reduce anti social behavior, but as most of us have figured out by now, the worst anti social behavior usually comes from people in the government, and so Network Rail, which is the public transport authority, they decided to use the cameras to scan people's expressions and then record using special AI whether they were feeling sad or happy or angry. Because it's not enough for the state to know where you're going, they want to know what's going on in your head.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: Network Rail from now on known as Dystopian Rail, they said, look, we were only using the technology because we wanted to monitor customer satisfaction.
Speaker 5: Of course, it never occurred to them.
Speaker 1: They could get a pretty good idea of customer satisfaction by simply checking what percentage of trains were running on time. Oh and they were selling the information to advertisers.
Speaker 5: So there you go.
Speaker 1: The information was revealed after a freedom of information request by a civil liberties group called Big Brother Watch. The good news in all of this, Caleb and Liz is that the Transport Department don't need to do this anymore because now the public are aware they've been secretly filmed since about twenty twenty two with this pseudo science analyzing their expressions.
Speaker 5: Everyone has the same emotion. Now all of the UK is thoroughly they's right.
Speaker 3: And look, you'd be going to the railway station just trying to look angry, now, wouldn't you, just to see what they could possibly do about it? I mean closed circuit television CCTV. The operative part of that has always been closed circuit, Like the vision is being taken from one place, ie in the train station specifically, to one other place where.
Speaker 2: It's being monitored for safety.
Speaker 3: If someone starts a fight, whatever, the fat security guard can go down there and try and break.
Speaker 2: It up while they wait for the coppers.
Speaker 3: What we are now talking about is a system that is not only being monitored by the security guard sitting in the room, it's being analyzed, in this case by Amazon, so it's going to a third party company, so it's being held on their servers, and god knows what happens to that then. I mean, if Amazon was hacked, presumably they could someone could collect all of that data so they could tell and this stuff is highly valuable. Data is highly valuable, So some hacker on the other side of the world could find out all the people who walked through the railway stefe on a particular day, the moods they were in, and that is very telling about what stage of life you're in, whether you're going through a divorce, and all these things might see minor at the time, but when they start to piece that together with other information and data they've taken from other places, it becomes extremely valuable.
Speaker 2: And then in comes the.
Speaker 3: Advertising factor, which blows it all out of the water. It's not about safety, it's about monetization. And we all know that when you're in a public place a it is legal to be filmed in a public place but you expect that CCTV is being used for one purpose and one purpose alone, and that is to monitor for bad behavior.
Speaker 2: This has gone well beyond.
Speaker 3: That now, and we should be really scared about it because it starts with one company or one metro outfit saying we've got these cameras to monitor our people. What if the cops rock up and they want to take all of that data. It starts in the railway station, then it's on the street, then it's in front of your house, dislutely everywhere, and they will be able to law enforcement and private businesses be able to track not only where you're going every minute of the day, how you're feeling every.
Speaker 2: Minute of the day.
Speaker 3: This is really really dangerous that falls into the wrong hands.
Speaker 2: We are stuffed well.
Speaker 4: I think it's far more nefarious than just all for advertising purposes. No doubt people are making money off it, but I want to know why they want this kind of data. One's thoughts and feelings. That's your private sphere. That is the one thing that you alone have access to know what you're thinking, know what you're feeling at any given point. And I find it very curious that this program, which we only know about thanks to an FOI by a Big Brother Watch Can we get a few of those in Australia please? Was launched in twenty twenty two. My very first thought was it was in twenty twenty two that Bunning's Camart and the good Guys here in Australia were busted for the exact same facial recognition. Yes, not feelings and emotions that we know of. Who knows, but they were busted for that and nobody had been told either. So you've got millions of people walking into these stores having their faces recognized. Goodness knows what that data was actually being used for as well, and people are numb the wiser. Nobody is being asked permission. They say that there was a small mention of this program under the company's privacy policy on their website, but again no accountability whatsoever. They just found it because they went digging for it. And what are people supposed to do, even if they are aware of it not use the tube like that is literally the only mode of transport for millions of people living in London, living in the UK who don't own a car. It's extortionately expensive over there, so people are left with absolutely no other option. Anyway, even if they were like, yeah, we're wildly uncomfortable about this, what are you going to do? Not ride the tube? They are normalizing AI powered surveillance and they're not asking permission. And this is the tip of the iceberg, because, like I say, every time one of these stories make it to the media, imagine what else is going on that we have absolutely no idea about and they're never going to tell you.
Speaker 1: And consider the attitude of the authorities who put this program together, because in the documents that were released, it is recorded that they had a discussion about whether or not this is appropriate. The question was asked, are some people likely to find it intrusive? And the answer was typically no. But there's no accounting for some people.
Speaker 3: Towards what who doesn't think that's in true? And that's the major problem with a we're not told about it. You mentioned the privacy policy, it's the anti privacy or they always name.
Speaker 4: These things, I know, opposite of what it's actually doing.
Speaker 3: But it's because once you take like everyone uses credit cards and debit cards and whatever these so the bank knows where you go every Thursday. At the same time, they know what you buy, They know how much you spend. Once you start putting all of these little crumbs together, law enforcement, private business, everyone else can literally work out everything you are doing at every moment.
Speaker 5: Law enforcement.
Speaker 1: What my thought when I read this was could it be used in evidence against you if you.
Speaker 5: Were accused of a crime.
Speaker 1: Well, our CCTV had him at this station looking guilty. Analysis says he was feeling paranoid.
Speaker 3: And that's volatile because previously you would have been able that the cops would have gone and asked.
Speaker 2: The tube for the CCTV footage that would have showed you moving through.
Speaker 3: The station, you know, prior to or after the alleged crime. But now that comes with all this analysis that it is creating about what it thinks you're feeling at the time.
Speaker 2: It is value adding to all.
Speaker 3: Of this, and without legislation to stop it, which will never get because of course it benefits people like law enforced, you can't stop it.
Speaker 4: We are this is minority report. We're living in minority report. Now, how soon is it going to be before someone's busting in your door because you are thinking about something? And it throws out innocent until proven guilty of rea because if we're actually sussing out people's thoughts and feelings. Well, they're just trying to jolly well ride the tube, and then they're tapping into that data. Say you are convicted of petty theft or something like that, how much of this is going to add value to such a case, and the prosecutor, even if it's not brought to court because they don't want the fact that they're doing this blown wide open, will be relying on that evidence in the back of their head knowing no, no, we reckon. We definitely got the guy.
Speaker 1: If you're recording my facial expression as I'm catching the train first thing in the morning, you would definitely be able to tell whether I'd had my coffee or not.
Speaker 3: That yeah, I don't conclude I don't want to be filmed first thing in the morning anyway, because I look pretty shocking when I wake up.
Speaker 2: But of course, so we've talked about the problems.
Speaker 3: With AI in terms of how they're using it against you and they're monitoring everything you're doing. But of course the other thing that AI is doing is making it more and more.
Speaker 2: Difficult to tell what is real.
Speaker 3: We have this what is called deep fake technology now which is where artificial intelligence is used to create something that is fake, that is false, be it a video or an image, it looks like the person who's saying it. It might be a voice recording that sounds convincingly like.
Speaker 2: The person who is supposedly.
Speaker 3: Saying it, and it is basically imperceptible as to whether or not it is real. And think about that for a minute. I mean, you could be watching a video online that is supposedly me, and it's me saying I hate jumps racing. Jumps racing should be banned. Now that might set off the alarm bells and you go, okay, well, I don't believe he would actually say that, but it genuinely look like I am saying it if you don't believe me. This is an example of how good deep fake technology is.
Speaker 6: Second youngest son's suggesting it came out of nowhere. What we subsequently learned is it may have come from the former president or his legal team acting in bad faith. This is deep fake example of what is possible with powerful computer and editing. It took around seventy two hours to create this example from scratch using extremely powerful GPU. It could be improved with more computing time, but ninety percent of people cannot tell the difference.
Speaker 2: I mean that is that is imperceptible.
Speaker 3: You would think you were actually watching the real Anderson Cooper there on the right. Well down in Victoria, criminals have started using this against each other. I love this story so much. Bikeis have decided that the best way they can get back at each other now is to start producing deep fake videos about each other to spread lies. Because of coase, people are watching Bikis and Crimson. What about watching these videos and thinking that it's actually the person that they're talking about. And one recent example that the Herald Son got hold of was a supposed news report from Channel seven. And the Herald Son has watched this footage and they say it looks like a genuine Channel seven report about two members of organized crime who've been involved in the illicit tobacco wars down in Victoria. And it starts off with a piece to camera from Cassie Zervos, who's a crime reporter at Channel seven. It all looks legit. It says that what these people have done will send shock waves through the community. The Herald's Son then says the report then throws to some earnest bloke who's meant to be a detective, urging the pair to turn themselves in and asking for public assistance. Any information provided will be treated with the utmost confidentiality and anonymity. The fake cop says, we are dedicating all available resources to this investigation. It, for all the world, looks like a legit detective. Next up as a bogus witness who claims to have seen the pair as he made his way to his local RSL club for the raffle. That fellow says, presumably for authenticity's sake, that he likes to get there early because he can't stand for long these days. Now, it is all quite comical that bikis are now using AI technology to fight against each other. But this is where we have come to. This tet is now so good that you can create a news bulletin that looks like a legit news bulletin and people are watching it and they think it's real. They can do it to you. They can do it to you, They can do it to me. They can even do it to you at home. The lines are being blurred by AI as to what is real and what is not. That I really worry in the next five ten years, how we will actually be able to tell what photos, what videos, what words.
Speaker 2: Are legit because you can just create anything.
Speaker 1: Now, this story really upset me because I just watched The Godfather for the first time the other night.
Speaker 5: You know the side before have you been watching other program So I decided to watch it. It is like it Marlon Brandoino.
Speaker 1: So You've got this image of gangsters and organized crime, and now I find out there are a bunch of computer geets with a milkshake, probably.
Speaker 4: Some computer geet with a gun. Hell, okay, put the things together quick.
Speaker 5: Anyway, it's just ruined my image of organized crime. I thought it was you know, well.
Speaker 4: Well they're getting sophisticated, right, but the outcomes of things like this, Obviously they're doing it to rile up the other gang. They're doing it to turn public sentiment against the other gang. Like we've got a favorite gang. We don't keep a list at home of Like, yeah, but I saw this thing on the internet. These guys are worse. No, you're all terrible, and we hate the stinking gut.
Speaker 3: Well in the gang world though, because like the real life consequences of something like this could be that it takes off within the gang world, and they believe it's legit, and they also to be the intent right, they got somewhat intense.
Speaker 1: So the other side of this is if they decide to give up crime, they've got a future in journalist money.
Speaker 5: That news report was really well written.
Speaker 4: I like that, it was very thoughtful. The fact that they even had like these people who were being interviewed just off the street and old mates like well, I can't stand for too long these days all very believable. I mean, whoever wrote the scripts.
Speaker 5: When you producers and angels or the you know, the camre Keevin.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I'm sure the AI versions of us would be much cheaper. But Sky won't be giving in anytime soon, will you will? Our employers, please to the US now where Boeing is facing a Senate committee grilling. There has been many rumors, many whistleblowers over the years saying things are not well at Boeing. Well, the latest headline to greet us is this one here saying that dodgy parts were delivered brittlely being fitted. What is going on? Of course, this is a new whistle blower, the one who was facing he was in the middle of testifying at a deposition against Boeing months ago, when he suddenly showed up dead shot in his truck. Of course, a lot of people have trouble believing that John Barnett, the man who worked for Boeing for three decades before retiring in twenty seventeen, actually did take his own life. There he is there. He was known as by his fellow co workers as an extremely brave whistleblower who made many, many extremely influential and powerful enemies in his last days. So there are a lot of aspersions. Quite rightly, I would argue being cast about what actually happened to Barnett. But back to this Senate committee, they've taken up the cause. You would remember, in twenty nineteen, two Boeings crashed, killing everyone on board. We've seen several reports since of not quite crashes, but certainly near misses and people being injured as a result. So finally the federal government in the US is taking them to task. His Senator Josh Hawley raking them over the coals.
Speaker 7: Help me understand that, I mean, do you get paid for transparency? Is that part of is that one of the metrics for your income?
Speaker 5: I think the board counts on me for transparency.
Speaker 7: Really, because you're under investigation for falsifying seven eighty seven inspection records, the Boeings under criminal investigation for the Alaska Airlines flight. You were investigated by DOJ for criminal conspiracy to defraud the FAA. This is all in your tenure. This doesn't sound like a lot of transparency to me. And frankly, Sir, I think it's a travesy that you're still in your job.
Speaker 4: Here here you can hear for yourself that litany of abuses. And yet Boeing seems to have dodged and weaved their way effortlessly through it, whistleblower after whistleblower. But their CEO actually paid a visit to this Senate committee in order to apologize to the families who had lost their loved ones in the two Boeing crashes of twenty nineteen.
Speaker 3: And I apologize for the grief that we have caused, and I want you to know we are totally committed in their memory, the work and focus on safety for.
Speaker 4: As long as long as we're employed by Bombing.
Speaker 2: So again, I'm.
Speaker 4: Sorry, very cold comfort to those families, I'm sure now, John Barnett took this up as soon as he retired, basically. In fact, he testified that he took it up before he retired and would send emails regards the shoddy workmanship going on. He claimed that they were deliberately fitting faulty parts even back then in order to make these deadlines that they had for production, and he was always told off for it, he said in person, which he took to mean stop making a paper trail. We don't want you sending these emails, John Barnett, please just speak to us in person so we can brush it under the carpet and do absolutely nothing about it. So we know that this has been going on for a very long time. Now, Thank goodness, the federal government in the US is finally taking this seriously and taking up the cause themselves. But no justice for the families who have lost their loved ones. And we don't know yet whether it will lead to any justice in terms of Boeing making airplanes worth flying on.
Speaker 1: None of this news is going to allay the fears of nervous flys.
Speaker 5: And it all sort of came to public attention, as you said in.
Speaker 1: January, when a door blew off of a Boeing aircraft over Portland. Then within weeks a aircraft at Atlanta Airport are Boeing lost its front tire as it was going along the runway. They had five incidents in four weeks, and then Boeing very high profile in the public eye. And this latest whistleblower who you spoke about, said that in order to avoid inspections, they took faulty parts and hit them out the back, and then over time these parts were moved again, and then they sort of lost track of these parts, which were dabbed with a bit of red paint. And the suspicion is some of those faulty parts were installed on new aircraft. So if you're getting on a Boeing plane, you look at the window and there's a dab of red paint on the very very many different problem.
Speaker 3: The problem is that you're already on the plane, so you're a little bit staff.
Speaker 1: The other interesting part of this is that the CEO of Boeing admitted that some employees had recently falsified inspection reports, claiming that things had been inspect them when they had not, But he reassured people don't worry.
Speaker 5: It won't affect safety.
Speaker 1: Well, what's the point of safety inspections if they don't affect safety. And the other revelation was that on some planes hundreds of fasteners were installed incorrectly, but again, don't worry, it's not going to affect safety. Well, I'd like to know what the fasteners were fastening or not going to affect safety.
Speaker 3: And the other thing that's come out as well, and it's not just Bowing Airbus has been involved in this as well, but they've apparently been using Chinese titanium, which has been called quote unquote fake because it doesn't come with proper documentation so it's not up to spect and the aviation authorities in the US now so worried about this that you know, they're saying it could potentially cause a plane to fall apart in mid air.
Speaker 4: And this makes sense because they used to get the real stuff from Russia, so obviously that may not be going to well for them at the moment. So now they've got this fate like cheap Chinese version they're just passing off as the same and it's not working.
Speaker 3: It is absolutely astounding. I mean, the CEO of Boeing, David Kolloon, should be Boeing. Boeing gone at this point, because seriously, we're talking about historically air travel has been safer than car travel, and statistically it still is. But when you look at this and Boeing planes are used for most domestic flights in this country.
Speaker 2: If you fly Virgin or you fly.
Speaker 3: Quantus, they're Boeing seven three sevens. In general, if you're going from Capital City to Capital City, I know Jetstar uses air Bus, I think Rex.
Speaker 2: Uses Boeings as well. So they are.
Speaker 3: Used commonly in this country. And when you look at what is coming out from the US and the shoddy way that it is alleged these planes have been built that the federal government in the US is so worried about it they're having this inquiry that the FAA is worried about the titanium that's being fitted to them, you would think twice about getting on a plane. And we're not just talking about you can have a car crash at twenty kilometers an hour, you can have a car crash at one hundred kilometers an hour.
Speaker 2: There's a difference in terms of the severity of potential car crash. You're on a plane.
Speaker 3: You know, thousands and thousands of feet in the air and something goes wrong, there's nothing you can do about it. You can't just sort of swerve to miss a tree or swerve to miss a car.
Speaker 2: You can't slow down. You are stuffed.
Speaker 4: And the fact that you're also completely helpful exactly not absolutely fact.
Speaker 3: This has been able to go on for so long, and I mean, these whistle blowers are talking about decades worth of bad stuff being done at Boeing. The fact that this has gone on for so long, and it's taken this long for it to come out, and only now are we getting on top of it. And the number one whistle blower turned up dead the day after he went and testified.
Speaker 4: Ridiculous. This is as bad as because he was then going to face the like the cross the gross examined. Yes, so the merely the really meaty art was the next day. And he had waited for this moment his time in the sun. For thirty years. He'd worked for Boeing and then like wrapped up all these complaints against them, tried to sort it out internally, retired in twenty and seventeen years and years later he finally gets to testify against them. Give this deposition and he shows up shot in his truck in a parking lot.
Speaker 1: The really crazy thing about this is, despite everything we've mentioned, we haven't mentioned the worst thing about flying on Boeing.
Speaker 5: If you've ever sat in economy.
Speaker 1: On a long haul flight, I mean that is taking life into your own hands. You know, a lot of people accuse the Albenze government of hating Christianity, but you can't accuse them of having abandoned religion. They've just provided three hundred thousand dollars essentially for research on how to protect aminism, animism and ancestor worship. The Daily Telegraph has reported that an indigenous akerd has been given three hundred grand of taxpayer money to and I quote explore how indigenous song lines have protected wales and dolphins over hundreds of years. Well, I guess that's money well spent in the middle of a cost of living crisis. Of course, I gest but it does tell you what the Albanezy government regard as sacred.
Speaker 5: Now. The grant was made.
Speaker 1: To Dr Jody Edwards, who's studying this ahead of a wind farm being built twenty kilometers off the coast of Illawara. Chris Bowen said with regards to these licenses for wind farms being awarded, that project developers must engage in specific consultation with traditional owners. He said, licenses will only be awarded to developers whose proposed projects do the most to support Australia's workforce, energy security, protect the environment. And here's the crucial bit and cultural heritage of First Nations communities.
Speaker 5: Now you might be wondering.
Speaker 1: What's cultural heritage of First Nations communities twenty kilometers off the coast deep under sea. Well, it all comes back to these indigenous song lines, which, as explained by the academic Wales, are regarded as sacred in fact as tribal ancestors and are treated with the same respect you would give to an immediate family member. And song lines are those paths out at sea which creator beings are traversed during the dreaming. The funny thing about this, Calebin is is the same people who will be applauding this and saying, oh, it's fantastic the government's giving an indigenous academic three hundred grand to investigate song lines from the dreaming will be the same people who get outraged that the government funds Catholic schools because what about the separation of church and state. We haven't lost our religion, We've just abandoned Christianity and we're returning to paganism.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, I mean she's investigating a form of mythology that we just happen to like in this country at the moment, because we wouldn't dare say anything bad about their version of religion, right as you say, some things are sacred and others aren't in the eyes of the left and the government. This puts me in a really difficult spot because this woman is opposed to the offshore wind project, and so if it is her three if it's her three hundred thousand dollars worth of research funded by the Albanezy government that actually manages to eventually scuffer this project, then I'm actually all for it.
Speaker 2: So I'm in a little bit of a difficult position here.
Speaker 3: But it is patently ridiculous that you would hand over that amount of money for someone to look into something so abstract.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, if we're talking about.
Speaker 3: Song lines on land, and for Aboriginal people on land, songlines were essentially like travel routes that they would take, and there's famously one that goes for three thousand kilometers to Ularo, and they had sort of marked out what were the right things to eat and whatever. You know, I'm sure back in the day that was of great use to them. But a song line for Wales twenty kilometers off, sure, I'm not sure has a great deal of bearing on anything.
Speaker 2: But if it does the job, you know, get to the destination.
Speaker 4: All the nimbies, they're not in my backyard. The people who hate these kinds of developments in their area. You need to form some sort of alliance with these indigenous groups and be like you and me, we can make this work for us, because all you have to do these days is find some sort of sacred rock. There was some trees, the birthing trees that stuff at another proach. Yeah yeah, yeah, these are sacred now, can't touch them. You could really make it work for you, especially the farmers who are finding this problematic. If I was a farmer and I had the government trying to get some of my land for their ridiculous power lines, so just be like, right, I need some indigenous people right now to find something incredibly sacred. Check out my pastures and tell me what I can work with here. You can make this really, really work for yourself. Go back to the White House now, the US I should say, we've just been there and we are returning. How on earth are we supposed to take this White House? Seriously? You're already aware that Joe Biden is well passed his best years and sometimes doesn't even know where he is. You know that Kamala Harris, the VP, finds nothing funnier than a question she doesn't know the answer to. She basically just cackles and otherwise says things that doesn't make any sense. Well, she's now teamed up with the team at Queer Eye. You may remember the show Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. For I don't even know what what is the purpose of this? You tell me anyone had any suggestions? Not only that, but this fellow, his name is Jonathan van Ness. We got to stand behind the Press Secretary's podium and have his own presser.
Speaker 2: Everyone in the ways.
Speaker 3: That leads to briefly answer some questions.
Speaker 5: Go ahead, I'm ready, k oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Is it true that is all your natural hair?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 2: I can confirm that this is not a wig. Follow question, Do you use your own products?
Speaker 5: I do use JB in here actually explicitly River four years now. Question.
Speaker 4: Now, this is supposed to be celebrating the twentieth anniversary of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. But you've got to wonder, what on earth is the White House doing being involved? What on earth does this have to do with the government of the day. The obvious answer is, of course, this is the new religion that has been being pushed, whether it's through the schools, through the universities. Every chance they get, they fly the rain bow flag. They're pictured with people who subscribe very clearly to the LGBTIQ way of life. And so this seems to be yet another virtue signal, as in, this is sacred, nobody touch it, you can't poke holes in this. That seems it's the only answer I can come up with. Like, what imagine if this was our PM, you'd be like, elbow, he attends Pride, that's fine, it's a massive, massive national event. People fly in from around the world to attend Mardi Gras, Okay, But if he's hosting Queer Eye for the Straight Guy for the twentieth anniversary, You're like, mate, what, what on earth?
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's pretty obvious they're trying to intimidate Jishiping and Ladimir Putin to you know, don't attack us, because if you do, they'll be hell to pay. And I'm sure every dictator in the w is quaking in Betterlieve America.
Speaker 2: And it's just the most cringe worthy content.
Speaker 1: Can we talk?
Speaker 3: I like, look, Queer Eyes actually not a bad show, I have to admit, But seriously, can you imagine it? Look, if we stay on air for twenty years, I'm really looking forward to the Prime Minister of the day having an official reception at Kirabilly or somewhere in Canberra and giving us our celebration for twenty years of the later back only seems fair to me. Let's go from the madness of the US to the madness of France. Now. Now, I don't know about you, I'm not really into soccer, or of course, as they call it over in.
Speaker 2: Europe football No football.
Speaker 3: Is Ossie rules as far as I'm concerned. But France went to the Euros this year hoping.
Speaker 2: To take it all home. France resurging to the top again.
Speaker 3: Well, they've been a little less concerned about football, it would seem, and they become more concerned with politics. You'd, of course remember last week the European Union elections in which right wing parties absolutely stormed the joint and wiped the table clean. And then after that Emmanuel Macron declared a snap election in France, which means Marine le Pen is in a very good position to take over France. Well, the French footballers are really concerned about this. Don't worry about actually going out and no know may be scoring one or two goals, because that's how it works in soccer. They're more concerned with the politics. One of their forwards he.
Speaker 2: Described after a recent game that this situation was extremely serious.
Speaker 3: He said, as citizens, we have to fight to make sure that the national.
Speaker 2: Rally doesn't get through.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty sure people sitting at home watching the soccer in France are just.
Speaker 2: Like kick a goal man.
Speaker 3: They're not terribly concerned about being told about politics by their soccer players.
Speaker 1: We know now the French team will not win another game in this championship because they've telegraphed to every opponent they'll only be attacking from the left wing. Everyone knows very exactly what they'll be doing. Look, this point of sport, Liz, is to unify a nation not divide. So the moment you start talking about politics as a sportsperson, whether it's the left or the right, you're doing the opposite of what you're supposed to be doing through sport. But if you are going to talk about politics, it's curious to me that it only ever comes from the left.
Speaker 5: You never have conservatives.
Speaker 1: Taking a stand, and on the rare occasion that someone does speak out on conservative issues. Take the Manly Seven for instance, who said we're not going to participate in Pride Round. Well, those Rugby league players were pillared in the media. They were bigots, they were narrow minded, they should be suspended. But you compare that to a couple of AFLW Muslim players who said we're not going to participate in Pride Round. And you read the reports in the ABCNE and the Guardian and they were, oh, this is because they're so faithful to their Muslim religion.
Speaker 5: And so the two sides are.
Speaker 1: Treated completely differently when they do take a stand on politics.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, and like you say, everyone wants you to just shut up and play the game. That's what we pay your top dollar for and that's what we all watch forward. Check out this map of France. The brown bits are those right wingers. This is a map of the electorate of France and how they voted in the recent European Union Parliament elections. So whoever's on this team seriously needs to get around this map and just figure out, mate, it's not far right. It's not the far right you're taking on, because when beliefs and values are that widely held, they're just referred to as mainstream. But I think I know why the Frenchies in the footy don't like lapenn She stirred up a lot of controversy a few months ago when she said she didn't recognize her country in the squad. She highlighted the number of players who were born outside French borders, or were the children of immigrants, or didn't sing France's national anthem.
Speaker 2: Quote.
Speaker 4: Most of these people consider themselves as representative of France one minute when they're at the World Cup, but the next they feel like they belong to another country or have another nationality in their hearts. Now, she said this months ago, and all you've done, Frenchies on the footy team is go and prove her right.
Speaker 1: Well, said, well, I don't think we can improve on nothing to go to a break. But when we come back, we'll look at Peter Dutton's nuclear policy that's all over tomorrow's papers. And a radical plan to make surface paradise a better place, give everyone easier access to alcoholic drinks that's coming.
Speaker 5: Up from just the moment. Welcome back.
Speaker 1: Well, let's look at what's making news tomorrow. No surprises. Most of the papers Caleb are featuring Peter Dutton's nuclear policy.
Speaker 3: Indeed they are, and the Australian is no exception where they say tomorrow voters nuclear option. Peter Dutton has declared the next election will be a referendum or nuclear energy and power, after outlining an ambition to build seven atomic generators by twenty fifty and greatly increasing government ownership in the national electricity market. So he's laid out today the seven places where this would happen.
Speaker 2: There is a map on the front.
Speaker 3: The porta Gasta in South Australia, you've got your lawn down in Victoria, et cetera. They're all old coal fired or what will be old coal fired power stations. They will be built on site. So we're not talking about places where energy hasn't already been produced, they're creating jobs in the community, et cetera. One of the most interesting things about all of this, apart from the fact that they didn't talk any numbers today, which is a little curious, I think they could have got that all out in one shot, and I did hear interviews this afternoon with the members of the opposition saying, well, you know, we're just not rolling it all out in one hit. That will come later. I think it sort of shoots a hole in their argument a little bit. But the idea that we're essentially going to have nationalized powered generation again is very interesting because we've for the most part moved away from that. The states used to create most of their power the state governments. They have systematically sold all that often privatized noy You've got a potential federal government saying we actually want to get back into the business of nationalizing energy again. And you know what, I reckon, that'll be quite popular because people looking at their power bills can see that since privatization has happened, power bills haven't gone down, so maybe they're willing to give it another go.
Speaker 5: There's a whole of topsy turvy going on right.
Speaker 1: So you've got the Conservatives arguing for state run power companies, and you've got Labor arguing for no, no, keep it in private enterprise. You've got Peter Dutton arguing for something. You've got Anthony Albanesi now as the man saying no to everything. So everything's been turned on its head by this policy. This is just one thing from the Australian article that amused me. Second paragraph says listen to this, Anthony Albanesi, Labor, premiers, unions and environmentalists, it's all the same thing. While they repeat themselves four times. Peter Dutton's definitely got his lines right on this though. Talking about costings, he says, well, you know it may cost this, but the governments never come up with a total cost with regards renewables. Great point, and in terms of where these are going to be located. I think it's a smart idea to put one in David little Prowd's electorate.
Speaker 5: So you've got the leader of the.
Speaker 1: National Party saying hey, I'll have one in my electorate. That kind of gets rid of the criticism that no one wants it. He's willing to put his.
Speaker 5: Hand up for it. And the other thing is his.
Speaker 1: Historical hysterical reaction now against nuclear We've seen it from federal members. But the Energy minister in Victoria, Lily Diambrosio, I'm not sure if you saw this this evening, but she demanded that Peter dutn't explain how he will stop nuclear radioactive waste being leaked.
Speaker 5: Into the community, poisoning everybody.
Speaker 1: And she actually described nuclear power as dangerous and deadly, which is.
Speaker 4: Tell that to the fifty seven. We're actually using it without a single accident for many, many many years now, lady, I mean he has said with regard to costing, Dunton has said that it will be a fraction of the price of the one point two to one point five trillion dollars that the alban Ezy government is going to be spending on this green energy transition that we keep being told is so wonderful. And when you look at the costings of the CSIRO who say we're looking at about eight billion dollars per power plant, I'm like, mate, that is a bug and where to re sign because on the one hand, where we're forking out let's say one point five trillion for these renewables that we know that they're useless when the sun isn't shining and the wind isn't blowing. We know that they're incapable of base load power, and we know that they need retiring. If you're talking about wind turbines, you get twenty years max out of him. You've got to get all those down, shove them somewhere in a turbine graveyard, and put up a whole heat more. It's not sustainable at all, as we've talked about at length. So when you compare the upfront costs, we're not talking about apples and apples, but when you talk about what we're getting for our money when it comes to nuclear versus renewables, they are not within the same league. Whatsoever. I might take my money get it done.
Speaker 1: Every criticism of Dutton's policy, he just turns around and points straight back at the opposition. Well you can have to subsidize renew nuclear. Well you're doing it to renewables. Well it's going to have massive cost overruns, snow at two point zero, and on and on it goes. So Dutton has a vision that allows him, when he's criticized, to point straight back at the government's own failed policies.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I reckon he's on a winner.
Speaker 2: He is.
Speaker 3: It just still makes me so sad had that the Coalition was in power for nine years and they did not talk about this once. Finally they've got onto it. But they had all that time and did nothing about it. The other big story of the days on the front of the Ods tomorrow as well crime appalling investigation routine. Victoria Police is still treating a spade of anti Semitic attacks on electric offices throughout Melbourne as individual investigations led by local cops. As raids escalate with vandals setting far to the inner seasides and killed a shop front of Jewish MP Josh Burns. And I thought it was interesting to listen to Steve Price the other night, sorry not the other night to night describing this as a terrorist attack. You know, his rationale was that they have targeted a Jewish MP, they have tried to fire bomb his office.
Speaker 2: Why are we not calling.
Speaker 3: That a terrorist attack and why is it not being treated by the cops as though it were a terror attack?
Speaker 1: Well, for the same reason that the Australian Christian Lobby when their office was firebombed.
Speaker 5: That was treated as a terrorist attack.
Speaker 1: Either it was swept under the carpet because summer techs are more serious than others.
Speaker 4: Apparently, Caleb I was more just completely and utterly shocked to learn that Labor has a Jewish member in their federal Parliament. I mean, how is your interpersonal relationships going on right now? Poor Josh, like I genuinely feel for him. Just today, Senator.
Speaker 2: Fatima payment Yes called upon.
Speaker 4: The entire Labor Federal party to back recognizing Palestine and state immediately a SAP as of now, and he would be listening to the likes of Penny Wong and others and our own Prime Minister's half last response with regard to all things anti Semitism related, Israel related, and being like this is the party I'm part of. I mean that is rough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely well, the police are investigating.
Speaker 5: Do you reckon We'll see any result, don't gold yeah, bread on anything. We've seen this to the front page of.
Speaker 4: The Gold Coast bulletin. Now will sinc to that these are the three dollar discount drinks that Caleb is very excited about. Operators on the Gold Coast main party strip one action from authorities to avoid economic ruin and intoxication dramas. As a new player promotes heavily discounted drinks, furious competitors say, drink deals for at drink deals at three dollars for a basic spirit normally twelve dollars around will send the strip broke and have it basically crawling with degenerates, drunk degenerates.
Speaker 3: Well, what they're asking for is protectionism. They're going to the government and the council to complain that someone else in the free market has come in and undercut their business. What's no job of the government to save you from that. If someone can come in and sell drinks for three dollars and they think they can make a profit, good luck to them. If they don't make a profit, they'll shut down and everyone else will be able to go back to charging twelve dollars a drink. As far as I'm concerned, this is proof that we're becoming a serious country again. I mean, you know, you go into the pub and ask for pider beer and it's so.
Speaker 2: Twelve to thirteen fourteen dollars.
Speaker 3: Now we're not a serious country for pier beer costs your bloody fourteen dollars. For traders who build this country and build the places where we are living. They're going in the pub every afternoon for a pint.
Speaker 2: And if we can't let them have a reasonably.
Speaker 3: Priced pipe after a hard day at work, then no wonder we have oursing problem.
Speaker 5: He and John Secer leaves a CFMB.
Speaker 3: You, I reckon you should become mere subsidized pie for all tradees.
Speaker 2: I'm on board with that.
Speaker 1: Let's really quickly look at the Newcastle Herald challenge to two Hunter mines over Great Barrier Reef impact. The article says the impact on the Great Barrier Reef of extending coal mining operations in the Hunter, which is fifteen hundred kilometers away, is to be the subject of a federal court battle. Environment mentalists are challenging a decision by Tenure Plibosek to say that the state of the Barrier Reef should not be taken into consideration when approving coal Mind's good decision.
Speaker 5: But the Environmental Defender's Office.
Speaker 1: Financed by you and I are going to challenge it. We're going to go to a break when we come back. Pill testing in Victoria. But waiting and see what politicians recommending it are wearing when they do so.
Speaker 5: That's coming up in the moment.
Speaker 1: Welcome back, all right, birthday boy, help us to understand Victorian politicians?
Speaker 5: What on earth is going on down there?
Speaker 3: Well, well, nothing good with their fashion and we know that under self appointed fashion correspondent on this program. So the Victorian government is currently considering pill testing. There's a proposal that we'll be going off to the cabinet. It apparently has the support of Decenter Allen and a bunch of cross Bench MPs came out in support of the pill testing to encourage the government to do it. But they rocked up, including Georgie Purcell and a couple of others in have a look at this.
Speaker 2: The sunglasses they're wearing.
Speaker 3: That our colloquial referred to as speed dealer sunnies because they're the sort of sunnies that your dodgy drug dealer would be wearing.
Speaker 2: Look, you know, it's a bit funny.
Speaker 3: I know what they were trying to do, but I reckon it proves what a mockery all of this stuff.
Speaker 2: Of pill testing is.
Speaker 3: Because if it was really the great panacea for public health and we're really just looking out for the kids, you wouldn't rock up and make a joke about drug dealers via those sunnies. What it's saying is come along, one and all and fill up on your disco.
Speaker 2: That's what they're saying. Good luck to them.
Speaker 3: I hope they don't wear those sunnies in the Parliament because God help us all. Actually, you can wear them on the tube and then they won't be able to see your eyes.
Speaker 2: That's what we should do.
Speaker 1: I gotta admit I wouldn't have known that's what it represented had you not pointed it out the side.
Speaker 4: You know that, Caleb, Well, I just maybe it's because I am a youth.
Speaker 3: I am a young man, and you two elderly individuals just add up with the young people.
Speaker 4: He says it, all of twenty five five years old. Well, it wouldn't be a late debate, would it if we didn't show you President Biden's latest episode of literally short circuiting in the middle of a spent.
Speaker 6: Thanks to all the members of Congress and homeless Security Secretary.
Speaker 5: I'm not sure you're going to do.
Speaker 4: Now. This was anybody else, you would just be like, get that guy some medical attention. But we know every time he opens his mouth, we are, in fact witnessing the Manhattan Project of pharmaceutical stimulants as it is. And just remember he is his press secretary just yesterday explaining to us that none of these glitches that you see are real, they're all deep fakes.
Speaker 8: It tells you everything that we need to know about how desperate, how desperate Republicans are here. And instead of talking about the president's performance in office, and what I mean by that is his legislative wins, what he's been able to do for the American people across the country, we're seeing these deep fakes, these manipulated videos.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're totally manipulated. I mean, there's countless examples, but they're all they're all manipulated over the last four years.
Speaker 5: We've got to go. That's it from us. Stick around. Coming up is the Reader Penah Show.