Speaker 1: Oh hello, thank you for joining us today on this podcast from Body and Soul called Healthy Ish. I am Felicity Harley. Now if you need some spring fitness inspiration, well you have come to the right place. You are listening to the Queen of motivation, Kareine A Blight. Yes, she is a pete and nutrition coach, and today she's discussing her hacks, well some of them that we can use to stay motivated. She also shares her insights on some recent research about an impending exercise pill. Oh yes, apparently it's going to be a thing. Anyway. If you do like this chat from Korein and make sure you're listening to extra healthy Ish, where she chats about social media's influence on our workouts. You can search for our sister podcast wherever you get your podcasts. Karin to have you back on healthy How are you?
Speaker 2: Oh good? Rely it.
Speaker 1: He's so good to be that looking so vibrant in your your legendary I'm calling it legendary orange. What's your orange wardrobe?
Speaker 2: L like?
Speaker 1: Is it like all orange?
Speaker 2: You know what? A very vast majority is purple and orange? Not gonna lie?
Speaker 1: I love it? Now?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 1: Should we be channeling color in our workout gear when we are looking for motivation, I think so not.
Speaker 2: I feel like it makes when you feel happy and you wear color, I reckon it improves your work. How should we? There's some signs that there is.
Speaker 1: It's called dressing, the dopamine dressing. Yes, yes, anyway, talk to us about motivation. It's a critical factor in fitness and exercise, and I feel like some of us are just simply more motivated than others. What what have you witnessed with your clients in your programs?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's such a tough thing, isn't it, Because motivation it's one of these big buzzwords we hear so much all the time. But what I notice with my clients, the people that I work with every day, I find that their motivation comes from a couple of different things. I think the most important thing is having a group of people that they belong to, a community that they can be a part of and work with essentially, and the friendships that come from that. I find they get so motivated from that because they get excited to see their friends and be like, hello, we're doing this together. So I think that's a really important one. And I think another thing too, it's the convenience factor. So how easy is it to access the workouts that they're doing or how easy is it to get to where you're going to do that workout? And I think those two things combined really do effect and positively influence our motivation.
Speaker 1: What about you? What motivates you?
Speaker 2: For me personally, either it's fitness or work or whatever, I really do think it's understanding why I'm doing it. And I really have to have that natural understanding of why, because otherwise I'm not as motivated. But for me, I do truly love exercise. I love my work, and that's what motivates me is my passion. So I think that's my biggest.
Speaker 1: Motivations, That intrinsic motivation versus the extringey, which is, you know, I want to do this to feel good on the inside rather than how I look on the outside. Is do you find that works better or you know what? Because I feel like when we were younger, a lot of it was all about working out because of what you look like. Maybe it's when you get a bit older, or maybe it's just shifted. Now it's about how you feel and showing up and kind of stoking that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do think there has been a really good shift in that sense, especially with social media. I find that people are more likely now to communicate you know, I'm feeling good, this is what you know, this workout's doing for me. And I do think that approach has a more long time lasting effect, because if you're feeling good, you're going to continue to do the thing that makes you feel good. But for something that's just giving you that short term you know, I'm trying to look a certain way, it's just a very short term approach to fitness and to our own wellness. So I do think that more long term view it's so much more better in the long term.
Speaker 1: Now spring is such a great time to just harness the motivation. So if we are struggling a bit it, what can we do? I love this question.
Speaker 2: I think there's a couple of things, and it kind of goes back to what I spoke about in the beginning. I think the most important thing is having that community, that sense of connection with people or someone that you know can motivate you and be a part of your fitness journey. Either that's you know, someone you can go for walks on oh sorry, someone that you can go for walks with, or maybe even a run club or a group fitness community online in person. It doesn't matter. I think that in general is going to really help you and elevate you to the next level with your motivation.
Speaker 1: What about if you find those intimidating because a lot of people think, I'm I can't run fast enough, I won't be able to keep up, or let's say run club, or if it's a yoga class or a pilates I can't do the moves, I'm too scared to jump on a reformer? How do we get over that kind of destructive self talk?
Speaker 2: And I can totally understand that, even I'm in the fitness industry and sometimes I do feel like those sort of feelings as well. But maybe the best approach in that sense is actually finding something that makes you feel comfortable. And I know from the different clients that I work with in our online platforms that we have to online can sometimes be a good starting point because you can find workouts that feel good for you, that are short, that can fit into your lifestyle, and you can do them from the comfort of your own home. So I actually do give that advice quite a lot is to do some online training. We've got a new one coming out, but a new form of exercise or something you enjoy online can also be good starting and.
Speaker 1: The smaller classes are also good. Or even getting a personal trainer or I mean, I know it's a bit more expensive, but even for just a shorter period of time, and you know, just say you want to show up to the gym and you're not sure how to use a certain machine, I mean, they can actually talk you through how to do it safely and how to actually do the moves exactly.
Speaker 2: I totally agree with you. Actually, I even spoke to someone yesterday who's trying to get back into Reformer pilates, and she your message being like, I want to do the classes like the group ones, but can I just start with some private ones first so I can understand how it works. And I'm like, of course you can. Let's organize that for you. So I think that's such a good point, and I do think those really good ideas.
Speaker 1: I know you talked about this in the beginning, but I do feel like removing resistance is one of the keys to getting more motivated. Yeah, talked to us about this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, I think we all have that, don't we like feeling of like, I'm just a bit nervous, I'm a bit scared, And look, I do think it comes down to, first of all, again, what is the number one reason you want to do this for? Like? Is it for you? Is it because you want to be a great rom wander for your kids? Is it just because you want to feel better in yourself? I think understanding that and then maybe just setting some small achievable goals around that initially is going to be a really good way to first start off that motivation piece. So having those some way visible that you can see each day, and then from there start branching out and choosing things that you actually like.
Speaker 1: Fun, Yes, have fun.
Speaker 2: Don't try and do things just because you think you should. I think there's this really big culture now we're trying to almost mimi what we're seeing on social media, and we feel guilty if we're not doing hit training every day and we're not doing reform pilates every day. But you know, you can just start by going for a small walk around your block. It can be as simple as that to get you moving, and that might motivate you to do a little bit more each day. But I think, yes, set the why set the goals and do what you actually like, and that's a really good place to.
Speaker 1: Se Actually, I think they're starting small is so important. I mean I even just think of this half marathon training that I'm in. I never thought I could, you know, I'd clock sixteen k's the other day and I never thought I could do that. But it's just incrementally over the last six months, I've just done a little bit more, a little bit more, And you know, it seems such a daunting thing when you're first setting those goals, but just breaking it down and then chipping away at it and you'll be surprised what you can achieve. Yes, I totally agree.
Speaker 2: That's so exciting. Well done.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Oh thank you. Now talk to me about this. I saw this study the other day and I thought, oh, let's talk about with caren. So there are recent claims by scientists that an exercise pill may not be as far off as we think that you. Basically, they're testing a new drug which appears to mimic the physical benefits of exercise in rodents. Now we're only in rats when not in humans yet, but the scientists say a pill may someday be able to do the same in humans. What's your thoughts?
Speaker 2: Oh my god. When I first I saw that that study, I was like, I have to try and bite my tongue because there's a lot here that I have an opinion on. But I will say I truly don't believe that a pill in general can give you that same effect of exercises physically moving your body, the feeling of the endorphins, the mental release, the emotional strength you get from exercising your body in a way that feels good. I don't think if he'll can do that for you. Of course, there's population groups where you know, the muscle adaptations might be really beneficial from the pill. I totally get that, but I think as an overall general blanket statement for the entire population, I'm just a bit erring on the side of caution with that one. Watch.
Speaker 1: You know they probably said that about Oz and Peck back in the day, and now we hear we are yet Anyway, that's for another podcast. Karin, thank you for coming on healthy Ish.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for listening to you.
Speaker 1: Well. I hope Krin's oh effervescent energy has motivated you to get outside and at least go for a walk or do some sort of movement. If you did enjoy hearing from korein tell Us, rate and review this podcast, you can subscribe as well. Of course, anything else, head to Body and soul dot com dot you follows on socials. Grob Our print edition which is out in your local Sunday paper and until tomorrow, Stay Healthy is