Speaker 1: Lateens General, welcome the Late Bay.
Speaker 2: Well, good evening, it's great to have your company.
Speaker 3: I'm James Macpherson with Joe Hildebrand and Liz Storer. A lot coming up tonight, including the top ten things that Australians googled in twenty twenty four. Will give you the list and you can see how you compared to your neighbors. Plus, when we look at what's making news tomorrow, the federal government to introduce a flat fee for childcare.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about whether or not that's a good idea.
Speaker 3: And the rest of a Tasmanian man on child exploitation charges leads to the freeing of six children in the Philippines.
Speaker 2: All of that when we get to tomorrow's news. But you remember back.
Speaker 3: In twenty twenty two when six women working together but claiming to be independent one formerly safe liberal seats calling themselves the Teals. Now, of course Teal is you know, liberal blue with just a tinge of green because we're worried about the climate. Well, by now everybody knows that the Teals are absolute greens all the way through.
Speaker 2: In fact, they're greens in all but name.
Speaker 3: Recent analysis published today in the Daily Telegraph shows the Teals voted so often with the Greens as to be barely indistinguishable.
Speaker 2: I have a look at these voting patterns.
Speaker 3: Minick Ryan, for instance, from Kuyong, she voted seventy seven percent of the time in alignment with the Greens. Or what about Zali Stegel from worringa seventy five percent of the time that she voted she was aligned with the Greens party. But Zoe Daniel and Sophie Scamps, well it was eighty one percent of the time for them, and the winner coming in at ninety four percent is North Sydney MP Kylie Tink. Now, Kylie Tink did amuse me when confronted with these voting patterns. She said, on one hundred percent of occasions. Now, remember ninety four percent of the time she voted with the Greens. But on one hundred percent of occasions, I've voted in a way that is consistent with my community's expectations and ambitions. Which makes you wonder why didn't her community just elect the Green I suspect they did. Actually, just on that she's voted ninety four percent of.
Speaker 2: The time with the Greens.
Speaker 3: You want to know what percentage of votes the Greens got in her seat back in twenty twenty two eight point five percent.
Speaker 2: Absolutely incredible.
Speaker 3: The people of North Sydney did not get what they were voting for. If the Body Snatches replaced Kylie Think with Adam bad I'm.
Speaker 2: Not sure anybody would know the difference.
Speaker 3: The Teals lives are basically Greens but with more expensive lipstick.
Speaker 4: One hundred percent.
Speaker 1: And I love that these guys still call themselves independent. Where they're voting record shows well, at least according to these numbers.
Speaker 4: They're voting as a block.
Speaker 1: Seventy five percent of the time at lease, So are you really independent? And of course siding with the Greens, which comes as no surprise because while they were quite an e known quantity at the last election, which was their first election, we all knew that a large chunk of their funding was coming from Simon Holmes a courts Climate two hundreds. So these guys almost solely no other issue. They were like single issue candidates. It was all about the climate. And it's going to be incredibly interesting to see how they go now that the climate politically has changed a lot and people are far more concerned about cost of living crisis, the cost of energy, things going forward, including education, you name it.
Speaker 4: The climate has taken.
Speaker 1: A back seat as people have realized more and more of these last few years of the Albanese government just how much their attention to climate is hitting their hip pocket.
Speaker 4: And I feel that they're going.
Speaker 1: To have just different priorities heading in to the election next year.
Speaker 5: I've got a feeling that you might be right, Liz, And there is some interesting.
Speaker 1: This is a red day, ladies and gentlemen, I'm riding, I'm no hill agree to.
Speaker 5: Sheer visceral loathing of both the Greens and the Teals. You and I are on a unity ticket. And there are a couple of funny things about this story, and and lots of fun little rabbit holes. You can of course get all the insights down brand every Day podcast. But firstly, there is no seat of North Sydney anymore. There is no Sydney MB distribution Kyllia Tink anymore, because of course the Australian Electoral Commission has redistributed the boundaries and the seat disappears, and so that's all fine, that's all well and good.
Speaker 6: So so she's not going to run against whatever.
Speaker 5: That's right, So whatever outrageous sort of twist of fate was forced upon the good, peaceful Burghers of North Sydney, that is going to be removed. So the Green they accidentally elected is no more now. A lot of people said, Kylie a teak, you should go and run in the seat of Bradfield, which is just next to North Sydney and where most of that electorate has gone to, and she has said no. She is said instead that she's going to back the candidate who lost in Bradfield last time, who.
Speaker 6: Is Daniella Boina I think is her name.
Speaker 5: Who set up a shadow electorate office with Simon Holmes and Courts backing. So she actually has effectively refused to concede the electure.
Speaker 6: She's got a bit Donald Trumps. I'm not going anywhere. I'm not going anywhere lost.
Speaker 5: But she said up on an election, but she set up an electric office anyway, as if she was the man bab. We've got stupid shadow on the front of it as well. And so Kylieting has now said she's not going to run in the city. She's going to fall back, fall on her sword and support Daniel Boanna's campaign, which means that the teals are punishing the person who won and rewarding the person who lost, which is strange. But things are only in getting better because the five MPs mentioned in this story, the five tier MPs are only five of the seven tier MPs, who of course occupy the House of Representatives. The other two Legraspender and the seat of Wentworth and Kate Cheney a s in wa thin it's called curtain and those and Paul Fletcher, the Member for Bradfield, just announce is going to resign, which could pose a headache for Peter Dutton because they no longer have the incumbent advantage. But Paul Fletcher in September put out the same research of how these guys voted right and again a Legraspender and Kate Cheney were on the bottom still the overwhelming majority of the time, but in the sort of mid to low seventies. Now, if you think about the things that Liz is talking about, how the world's kind of changed a little bit since twenty twenty two. The number one economic issue cost of living, and the number one social issue community disintegration and.
Speaker 6: Conflict over the war in the Middle East.
Speaker 5: So you have a Legraspender, who lives is the teal with probably the highest proportion of Jewish voters in her electorate. And then you have Kate Cheney, who is the only teal in the most resource dependent state in Australia. And what happens to all these high ideals, what happens to climate change being the most catastrophic cataclysmic.
Speaker 6: World ending event.
Speaker 5: Well, it seems just by a few percentage points to have dissipated because they don't seem to be finding as much common ground with the Greens.
Speaker 6: A Legraspender, I'm pretty sure it.
Speaker 5: Is smart enough to know that any association that she has with the Greens, given their outrageous anti Israel center, and given the fact that they have refused to condemn active vandalism at Australian War Memorial things like that, have been equivocating on Israel. They have provided false equivalents between Israel and Hamas. We all know they're crazy candidates. A local said the IDEF was worse than ISO. Worst IDF Israel defense pots is worse than isis Let's do some focus groups on how that goes down in Double Bay.
Speaker 6: Probably not too good, I would have.
Speaker 5: Thought, and again, Kate Channey knows that in the middle of the cost of Of course he comes from one of the leafier, nice little seats, I mean, wa But this is a state whose entire fortunes basically rest on the mining industry. And suddenly, when everything's going fine and everyone's rolling along, you can kind of sort of think, oh, well, maybe we should think about the climate, but.
Speaker 6: That some of them things get tough. Maybe my constituents wouldn't be too happy if.
Speaker 3: The other thing I don't understand about the Teals and Liz you alluded to this is you know, they came in twenty twenty two promising transparency and honesty and integrity in politics.
Speaker 1: Oh, they were going to be the bat They were going to be the light on the hill, the light on the hill of Australian politics.
Speaker 4: Everything that was wrong with the Australian government. They were going to be the opposite.
Speaker 3: But here's the problem with their transparency and integrity. They claim to be independents, but they vote together, they hold press comfferences together, they have one common source of funding, their advertising is all identical under the same banner, and yet they keep insisting, no, no, we're not a political party and therefore are exempt from the restrictions that normally associated with a party. They operate as independence when it's clear to everybody they're not, while comforting integrity and transparency.
Speaker 2: I don't know how they have gotten away with that.
Speaker 4: Well, look, people elected them not knowing what they were in for.
Speaker 1: Four years later, people know what they're in for, and I dare say they aren't going to do as well at the next election. Probably many people can see that themselves, in particular in the tea leaves coming up to the next election, either in April or May of next year. I imagine they're getting quite nervous to the States. Now, we're a Jewish company by the name of Simon Weissenthal Center has released advisory for Australia following last week's incident of that terrible terrorist attack or should I say alleged terrorist attack at this point, although I mean, who among us isn't pretty confident this was a terrorist attack on the synagogue in Melbourne. They've released advice telling Jewish people worldwide to give Australia a wide birth. Here is Rabbi Abraham Cooper, who's from the Simon Westenthal Center giving this travel rawning.
Speaker 4: He says in the letter to Kevin Rudd.
Speaker 1: Rabbi Cooper said the Center was outraged that its fellow Jews in Australia were being targeted by hate crimes. Quote, we are not convinced that Jews are safe as the authorities have failed to take necessary measures to protect Jewish communities from increasingly belligerent and violent targeting by Islamists and other extremists. Well, this is very intense. I would have thought that he would at least just call out Sydney and Melbourne and say don't go there. Those are the hot spots of the pro Palestinian protesters of these increased amounts of anti Semitic acts. However, he's saying Australia, why like the entire nation avoid it.
Speaker 7: I've got to.
Speaker 1: Say I do think that's a bit dramatic. I do think that's a bit over the top. Jewish people are safe in Australia, the vast amounts of Australia. But what I think he's doing here is drawing attention to what we draw attention to every single night, and that is this government's utter failure to make Jewish people living in Australia feel safe and it's worked because here we are on the other side of the world talking about it, and he's written this letter to Rudd, who we know is the ambassador in America, the country in which he's living, to try and get the ball rolling get some action here in Australia. I don't like his chances though, Joe Given Rudd and Albanizi are two peas in a pod. They've done anything but support each other. Do you think that this, this attempt to get this.
Speaker 4: Kind of attention, get.
Speaker 1: Rudd's ear, who in turn will get alban Easy's ear, will work and we'll finally seem so.
Speaker 5: I think they say they say in politics are always back self interest. It's the only horse you know that's really trying. And I think Anthie Albanezi is getting the message. I think he understands now how serious he certainly would have after his visit to the synagogue earlier today.
Speaker 4: Five days later, better late than ever, and I.
Speaker 5: Think he understands how seriously threatened and genuinely scared Jews in Australia feel. This is something they have been shouting from the rooftops and I've been trying to convey as well. But that I think there is some advice and center is obviously a center that is completely notly focused on anti Semitism found in the wake of the horrors of the Holocaust, Nazi Jurnemy. And I think when people say, oh, we condemn all forms of you know, racism, anti Semitism, Islamophobia, homophobia, and conflate all these things into the one basket, there was only one of those groups. Where there have been throughout human history by Christians, by Nazis, by people basically right across the globe, and especially in Western Europe and Asia and North and Africa.
Speaker 6: And the Middle East.
Speaker 5: There is only one group of people who fought thousands and thousands of years, has been deliberately targeted, purged from countries, from nation states time and time again, whether it be Morocco, whether it be Elizabethan England, whether it be Nazi Germany and the Eastern European countries that.
Speaker 6: Colonized and conquered.
Speaker 5: And I don't think you can understand what is going through the heads of the Jewish community without understanding that less than a century ago, in living memory for some people, eighty years ago, there were.
Speaker 6: Millions and millions and millions.
Speaker 5: Of people who were dedicated just to wiping them out, just to wiping them from the face of the planet. Now, there are plenty of other people who have experienced oppression. There have been other genocides elsewhere in the world, but we have never ever seen anything of that scale in all of human history. And I dare say there has never been a more continuous push, a more continuous.
Speaker 6: Pattern of pograms.
Speaker 5: Be it from Stalin's Russia, be it from the Tsars Russia, be it from the Nazis, be it from medieval states and early modern states in Western Europe.
Speaker 6: These people have been genocided for one of a better words.
Speaker 5: People have been trying to wipe this people out, Jews out for thousands and thousands of years, and the Nazis came incredibly close. I think it was something close to a third of all the Jews on the planet. And so when you're talking about Israel just having one place where they can actually feel safe, or whether you're talking about not being able to leave their homes, not being able to go to the opera house, to their own memorial service, their own day morning, that plays pretty that sets off some pretty major red flags. And I think you cannot understand what is happening in Australia and fully appreciate what it means, not just for the Jewish community but for all of.
Speaker 6: Us without understanding that we're.
Speaker 5: About to embark on a road that starts with a Roman rebelization of Israel two thousand years ago, continues with medieval practices of killing Jews if they didn't convert, expelling them from entire countries.
Speaker 6: And there is a thread that goes right up.
Speaker 5: To Nazi Germany and the industrial scale extermination of six million souls, menenm and children as though they were animals, and that happened in the middle of the twentieth century, and we've got to get our heads around that. We will not understand what is happening.
Speaker 2: A few years ago and I went to the Holocaust Museum.
Speaker 3: I mean, you can spend hours there, but I really didn't get past the first exhibit, which was a series of videos from people who had lived through the Holocaust, and what struck me was so many of them talked about how they remember sitting at the family dining room table and Mum would be saying we need to get out of here, we need to get out of here, and Dad would.
Speaker 2: Be saying, no, no, no, it's not going to be that bad. It's just a few little things, but it's going to be okay.
Speaker 3: Sure they closed our business, Sure they've got us to wear the yellow star or whatever. And many of them talked about the fact that they wish they'd listened to their instinct and gotten out, the families would have survived. Others said they were glad that they had listened and got out. And so I think what you're saying is very true. And I've spoken to Jewish families here in Sydney who are having those exact same discussions now, saying it's in the living memory that we were talking about, it's not that bad.
Speaker 2: Surely it won't get worse.
Speaker 3: And yet we're watching over fourteen months things get worse and worse for this Jewish human rightsation, which is very well respected for the first.
Speaker 2: Time in their history.
Speaker 3: To say to Jews around the world, don't go to Australia unless its essential travel is just astonishing. I mean, who amongst us ever thought that such a warning would be issued for Australia. I was reading in the Times of Israel that the number of apartments being purchased this was just for the month of September by people outside of Israel wanting to move back. There was up one hundred and nineteen percent on September in the previous year. And these were Jews from around the world who figured, you know what, it's actually safer to live in Israel, where we're surrounded by armies committed to our destruction than it is for us to live in many places around the West, where we're not sure if we can even trust our neighbors or supposedly democratic elected governments who are supposed to keep us safe. Speaking of which, Anthony Albanesi's job is to keep all Australians safe. His election campaign catchphrases I've got your back. I'm not sure many would be feeling elbows got their back when he waited, as Liz said, almost five days before showing up at the ripping Lee Synagogue in Melbourne. And you know, the fire lasted longer than Albanzy's visit. In fact, his tennis game lasted longer as well.
Speaker 2: But show up he did.
Speaker 3: He didn't exactly get a warm reception.
Speaker 7: Are you worried about?
Speaker 6: Yes, they was a free.
Speaker 3: You can hear their people saying you're late. He certainly was, and of course have a look at this. People had not forgotten his tennis match. Guy put back a guy now Albany's. He did a quick tour of the synagogue, then he made a short statement to the press, took no questions and then disappeared for a I think he had a private meeting with some of the leaders there. One of the things he said in his brief statement to the media, he said, we're a country that needs to come together and unite. But it's funny Joe with Labor. You know, they've got the PM right at the synagogue. This is the biggest thing in the country right now. We've got to come together and unite, he says. At that very moment, you've got Ed Husak, one of his senior MPs, on Sky News saying, what about Islamophobia. I mean, now, I'm not saying Islamophobia shouldn't be something that's abhorred as much as anything else. But you're not talking about Islamophobia when you've got your Prime Minister on his.
Speaker 2: Much delayed visit to the synagogue.
Speaker 3: At the same time, you've got Penny Wong in South Australia comparing Israel with China and with Russia. At the same time, you've got Murray wat testing that Josh Friedenberg was only really upset about the fire bombing at the synagogue for rank political purposes. If Anthony alban Easy is serious, we've got to come together and unite as a country. Maybe talk to your senior team about coming together and uniting and deciding this is the key issue in the country right now without having the more free lancing with one eye on votes in Western Sydney trying to walk both sides of the street.
Speaker 5: Look, I think it is a problem. I think as there's a couple of things. I think Murray Watt, who I like, but they were pretty silly comments. Josh Josh Ryden was silly.
Speaker 2: I was disgraced.
Speaker 5: Josh Fridenberg's parents were Holocaust survivors from Hungary.
Speaker 6: The reason why he couldn't they couldn't find.
Speaker 5: His previous citizenship is because his parents had fled for their lives.
Speaker 2: And as Murray What apologized for that comment, I think not.
Speaker 6: I think, well, I think you know, we don't.
Speaker 5: We don't nearly get into who has to walk the walk of shame and stuff.
Speaker 6: But again it's pretty shame. I think it's pretty silly.
Speaker 5: Penny Wong's statements were obviously clearly unhelpful, and I think it's it's pretty clear that Penny Wong has a conventional left.
Speaker 6: Wing view of the Israel Palestine debate.
Speaker 5: I think that is part of the problem in the Labor Party that you have people and I think, honestly, I genuinely believe that the scales are falling from Albow's eyes and he's starting to realize just how much of a white hot issue this is.
Speaker 6: And how.
Speaker 5: Well he's meeting with the Jewish leaders. Now he's appointed an anti Semitism counter terrorism task for force within the AFP, So there are.
Speaker 2: Things that he Peter Dutton said he will that's right.
Speaker 6: And again late shore but better late than never.
Speaker 5: And these are things that you know, under another another type of left wing leader would simply not have happened. So I think he is doing that. Ed Hughesy, obviously you can understand that as a Muslim himself, he is going to be someone with very strong community ties and I suppose sort of you know, ideological ties with the Palestinian cause in the Middle East. I don't really mind that so much. It's it's perfectly natural that he would think about that. And the reason I made that massive point earlier about the huge and really sinister scope of anti Semitism right throughout history and just how absolute and enormous in its scale and horrific in its outcomes has been that just simply has not happened to any other group of people. And it's very weird that people, I think, see anti Semitism as a more benign form of racism or not as serious as real racism towards other ethnicities, when in.
Speaker 6: Fact, that is the only thing for which an.
Speaker 5: Entire race, and entire ethnicity and entire ethno religious group.
Speaker 6: Has been attempted to be wiped out across the entire world. That was a Nazi breaker. And it's not just the Nazis again, this is.
Speaker 5: All sorts of groups, for all sorts of reasons, following all sorts of conspiracy theories wanting to just completely wipe these people out. Now, of course is lamophober exists. Of Course other forms of racism exist, and there's been horrible things done to other ethnic groups. There is I think a really special and specific case with Jewish people that has never throughout history applied on such a scale and with such venom, and with such absolutism, and with such deadly force as it has to them. So again, when you're talking about things that are happening in Melbourne and Sydney, you know, the firebombing of a synagogue, the smashing of shop windows. These are the things that happen on Crystal Nacht. These are the things that happened in the middle of the rise of Nazi Germany again, and people kept sort of sleepwalking to their own destruction. And so I think when people are talking about that and saying these are the anxieties that we are feeling as a people because we're seeing the same things happen that our grandparents told us about. To then say oh yeah, but what about Islamophobia, I'm not sure if that's really getting it. I'm not sure if that you know, and I'm not sure if it's particularly helpful.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm not sure that what Alvin Easy had to say, And part of his speech today indicates that he's getting it either.
Speaker 4: Get this. So he's there, he.
Speaker 1: Is finally at the synagogue, at the scene of the crime, at the scene of this terrorist attack, and he decides to tell people there standing in the rubble of their place of worship.
Speaker 4: How wonderful multiculturalism is.
Speaker 1: Let's read this in the Australian amid chaotic scenes, Miss alban he told community members.
Speaker 4: Australia's multiculturalism and social.
Speaker 1: Cohesion had to be nurtured and protected. Quote he said, It's one of the most wonderful things about this country is you can live in Australia and experience different cultures, different faith beliefs, and be enriched by what by, which is why we have to cherish it, why we have to nurture it. I felt like this added insult to injury. Firstly, that Jewish community is far more greatest than I would have been. I don't know that I would have let him come much. Let's invited him to come. There's been plenty of Palestinian and other mosques et cetera, say in Western Sydney that just stopped inviting MP's to all of their important events because they were like, sot it, you're not supporting us. We don't want you showing up for your photo ops. Get on your bike, thanks very much.
Speaker 3: This comes after the fire bombing, but then after the fire bombing on Sunday we had you in Sydney, bunches of men out on the street chanting ojus, the Army of Muhammad will return. If that's what Anthony Albanzi means by the rich the enrichment of diversity. And incidentally, I look through all the papers today trying to see is there any follow up on that police police that are investigating yesterdays that there was no news on it today, and I suspect to be one of those things that will be swept under the carpet and disappear.
Speaker 5: So ISLAMOPHOBICVI James, So is I mcphobey Cove.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what they say to shut everyone up, isn't it. Of course, Anthony Albanzi is doing brilliantly by his own estimation. In fact, if you believe him, he hasn't put a foot wrong. The only reason people think he has is because those evil journalists at News Corp have got it in for him. Anthony Albanesi had a cabinet meeting yesterday and I'm not sure if Anthony Alberanzi should be more worried about News Corp or about his cabinet members leaking what he's saying to them. In private meetings. The Age newspaper reported that a cabinet source said Albanesi was firm and matter of fact as he reflected on the tactics of the conservative press in recent months as Labor has continued its slow downward polling trend. That's right, the slow downward polling trend is all because of the tactics of the conservative press.
Speaker 2: It's your fault.
Speaker 3: Apparently, told his cabinet News Corp and the opposition were now working hand in glove and that this was an embedded part of the political dynamic that we all needed to deal with. This is what his cabinet leak says. I should just point out, Joe, this is the second cabinet leak I think in the last three months. Do you remember when they were planning questions for the census.
Speaker 2: And it was all trying to get them to Albanese's problem is not news Corp. And by the way, news Corp is a private company.
Speaker 3: News Corp can say whatever they want as opposed to the A b C who received taxpayer funded.
Speaker 6: Balance, unbiased balance.
Speaker 5: Okay, they've got the La Times Ai widget to check whether news.
Speaker 3: Corp to point out his missteps. There's an easy way to fix that. Stop making missteps.
Speaker 4: I love that he's giving us the credit. Mate, all the credit is you.
Speaker 6: I think it. Look, it's obviously fair to say that.
Speaker 5: You know, News Corp is a pretty tough crowd. The Daily Telegraph is not a sucker. It is a cynic call newspaper, very family friendly.
Speaker 6: Love the pressure's job, The pressures the whole account. Hold them to account. That's absolutely right.
Speaker 5: I'm fond of Winston Churchill's great saying, which is that a politician complaining about the press is like a sailor complaining about the sea. If everything is the press's fault, in the presses, and you're completely beholden to the whims of the press, then public life and politics probably isn't the.
Speaker 6: Game for you.
Speaker 5: I'm pretty sure that Albo is just trying to save a bit of face. Obviously he's the chair of the Cabinet.
Speaker 6: He has to go there.
Speaker 5: He knows they're all going to be saying, mate, you've had a bit of a shocker. And I think the fact that he said it to cabinet where there would be an expectation and again you're right about the leaks, but there'd be an expectation that nothing leaks from cabinet.
Speaker 6: That's very rare.
Speaker 5: Stuff leaks from caucus all the time, that's almost a national sport. But cabinet, if there are leaks, that's a bit of a worrying sign. And the fact that they are leaking, that he is blaming News Corp. For for all his woes as leaks go, it suggests that they probably don't think that's a very good idea. And again this Albo, he's great, and I know that he's often give him a you know, running through.
Speaker 6: His paces and we simply state the fact.
Speaker 5: But I would just say, like, you know, you know, like blaming the press for your mistakes or for how they report on your mistakes or whatever whatever you think, however hard done by you think you've.
Speaker 6: Been, that is a one way ticket to oblivion.
Speaker 5: That is because it shows that you are firstly, you're giving all the power to someone else and you're not actually acknowledging what you have to do or you can do, or where you need to change to to to change the situation and get back in a winning position.
Speaker 4: Zero responsibility though a weekly a weekly.
Speaker 5: As soon as you says, soon as you start saying it's all someone else's fault. It's all someone else's fault. There's there's nothing I can do.
Speaker 6: Why are you there?
Speaker 2: Then?
Speaker 6: Why are the leader?
Speaker 5: Then you follow that argument to its natural conclusion and it takes it in pretty dark places.
Speaker 4: But hey, thanks for giving us the credit. Albow hair flick. We had no idea we were so powerful.
Speaker 1: We're literally the ones responsible just by virtue of pointing out the facts.
Speaker 4: Of your rule and rain, we're responsible for you diving in the polls.
Speaker 1: Imagine how much of a better PM he'd be if he actually tuned in, if he read and watched News Corp.
Speaker 4: We've got far smarter people working.
Speaker 2: For us, mate.
Speaker 4: You could have taken notes. Any number of News.
Speaker 1: Corp columns has brilliant gold nuggets for free in.
Speaker 4: Terms of policy ideas.
Speaker 1: But no, thank you day on your narrative again and again and here we are you likely to lose because you deserve it.
Speaker 4: To Queensland now, where the new premier are.
Speaker 1: Christoph Fowley has decided to go full dictator.
Speaker 4: Here he is today giving his maiden speech.
Speaker 1: Most of it was spent, of course, gibing Miles the outgoing premiere, which is well deserved and why wouldn't he?
Speaker 4: But then he turned dictator on.
Speaker 1: Us and decided to take this opportunity to tell everyone that he was banning from Parliament for the length of his premiership any discussion on the hot topic of abortion.
Speaker 8: This House orders that a no Bill or amendment seeking to amend the Termination of Pregnancy Act twenty eighteen is allowed to be introduced. B no motion or amendment seeking to have this House express its views on the Termination of Pregnancy Act twenty eighteen is allowed to be moved. And two the Speaker is to rule out of order any bill, motion or amendment that offends the order in one. This motion today ends the disgraceful campaign. Queenslanders said no to a US style scare campaign, Queenslanders said no to politicizing a sensitive issue, and Queensland has said no to the re election of a very bad labor government.
Speaker 1: What is this, dictator Bs, You're literally gagging your own parliament on day one you live rule Premiere.
Speaker 4: My goodness, are you kidding me?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 1: This is a really important issue. That much is true. But many people pro livers, even in that man's own government, have been waiting for an MP government to get in in Queensland so that they could overturn the abhorrence law that was changed back in twenty and eighteen by the then Health Minister Stephen Miles, which made it far easier to get late term abortions in Queensland now. He said at the time when he changed the law that this wouldn't mean there was more late term abortions in Queensland, but he was wrong. In twenty eighteen, there were one hundred and fifty two children killed through late term abortion in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 4: This is Queensland's own raw data.
Speaker 1: By the way, in twenty twenty one, in the space of just three years, that number had doubled to three hundred and four babies killed after viability, so their lives are fully viable. This is late term and up until birth. We don't have the data from the most recent years because they've stopped publishing it, but we do know that forty two babies within the last year were born alive post an abortion procedure afforded no medical attention which would have enabled them to die in some comfort. Instead, they're left alone in cupboards and other places to simply draw their last breath.
Speaker 4: How is this issue. Firstly not worth talking about. Oh, we just want to leave it there, because.
Speaker 1: All I care about now that I'm in power is keeping in power.
Speaker 4: But secondly, this.
Speaker 1: Is a freedom of speech issue, if ever there was one. You don't get to become premiere and then bring out a grocery list of issues that because they're too hot to trot and all you care about is popularity. Right now, you're entire Parliament can't touch for the duration of your rule and reign.
Speaker 4: Who the hell is this.
Speaker 2: It's anti freedom of speech, it's anti democracy.
Speaker 3: But I got to say, in order to make sure that there's no conscience vote, he ensures that the consciences of his MPs have never bothered. He even discussed bad anyone asking the views people on abortions and watching that clip, and I know fi on A Simpson.
Speaker 2: She's a lovely lady. I really like her, but I know that she would have.
Speaker 3: Certain views on abortion. And see she's the Women's Minister sitting behind Chris of Fouley. As he said, for the next four years, this will not be a topic of discussion. And you know he says people want to politicize a sensitive issue. Well, I'm not sure talking about abortion is politicizing it. It is sensitive. We expect our politicians to talk about important issues.
Speaker 2: We expect them to talk about it in a mature fashion. We expect them to have well, we expect to keep getting promised adults.
Speaker 3: And Queensland elect the Conservative government there, they're hoping that they're going to.
Speaker 2: Get some adults finally.
Speaker 5: For them, they'd be letting people talk about everybody on both sides. No, I think I think he's just shut down something he knows as a Pandora's box and that would in all likelihood destroy his government and put Steven Miles back in the premiership. So that's what he would have his eye on. And yes, political partner was ever a ditch.
Speaker 1: Worth dying, and it is this one for shame Chris of Fooley and whatever her name is, Minister for Women.
Speaker 5: Please, just while we're talking about big issues, I do just want to quickly raise something very important. I know last night we, as we often do, descend it into a debate over biblical studies. I owe a correction and an apology. I talked about Job and his treatment of his daughters, and I remember going home thinking I'm sure I got that right. In or was it something and it was Lot. It was a Lot living in the city of Sodom who offered up his daughters to the mob in order to protect two of God's.
Speaker 6: Where you were going on, Job, I just want to say to Job, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: To go to a break.
Speaker 3: When we come back, we'll look at what's making news in tomorrow's papers, including the federal government about to announce a flat rate on childcare.
Speaker 2: Is that a good idea? And talk about that in the month. Welcome back. Let's look at tomorrow's headlines.
Speaker 3: Joe Anthony Albanese is dealing with anti semitism today, but he'll move on to a totally different subject tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's just another great policy from the Albaneze labor government, delivering for Australians day in, day out, every second of every day. Election pledge on childcare reads the incredibly boring Canberra Times headline.
Speaker 6: But tell us what it is? No election pledge on child care? Why don't you say in the headline what it's going to be?
Speaker 2: The people pick up the paper?
Speaker 6: The more rebates bought for parents? Again, very boring subhead.
Speaker 5: Prime Minister Anthony Albaneze is making childcare a key election battleground which were already knew as he pledges to remove a controversial hurdle for parents to access rebates. Sorry, just someone got some smelling salts. Just what do they use on Joe Biden to juice him up.
Speaker 6: Late at night?
Speaker 5: Mister Albaneze, will abolish the activity test for Commonwealth. Oh, here's the lead, it's in the second part. Will abolish the activity test. The Commonwealth funded early childhood education. Why would you put the words Commonwealth funded in them?
Speaker 6: Like god, get these.
Speaker 2: People running commentary.
Speaker 5: He is reelected in a policy aim at providing costs of living the leaf while improving outcomes for vulnerable children.
Speaker 6: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: But basically there will no longer be an activity test, so it makes it just easier and quicker and quicker and faster to get childcare, which is good, but you would need no, it is not a lowe translator.
Speaker 4: It is not good.
Speaker 1: To be able to raise their own kids at home, which the vast majority of them would prefer to do instead of treating us like cattle. Because we know all you care about is getting us back to work for the man, to raising more tax dollars. That's all we are to you, we'd rather be at home raising our own children. So how about you give us the rebate, how about you give.
Speaker 4: Us the subsidy. How about you stop.
Speaker 1: Talking about, oh, I'm helping families when really what you're doing is inherently detrimental to families. But with universal daycare meaning that women should just palm their kids off at infancy, which the vast majority of Australian women do, those who use childcare within the first twelve months of their kids' life are back at work because maternity leave runs out and they can't lose their job, now, can they not. Everyone is in a financial position privileged enough to be able to stay at home, and I think that is an absolute travesty.
Speaker 4: This is a first world nation.
Speaker 1: We should have measures in place to empower women. Since that's what you say this is about. How about you empower women to stay at home with their children and raise them their own instead of the state. Because we know what you're up to being like, no, no, give your child to us. You go earn the tax dollars and will raise your child.
Speaker 4: In our own image, Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Indoctrination from preschool right through to UNI.
Speaker 4: No thanks.
Speaker 5: You have the camera times to put that headline on the article that would have got people talking.
Speaker 1: I would have given it to Dana Daniel for Free Society crumbles on election day that.
Speaker 3: The other problem with subsidizing childcare is all you do is increase the fees of childcare. Because there will be more demand than there will be places childcare will up their fees. After all, the government they're going to subsidize it if they want to reduce the cost of childcare and make it more affordable. It was the government that kept creating tighter and tighter ratios of staff to kids, which makes childcare more expensive. It was the government that decided you had to have higher qualifications in order to staff a childcare center, which made it more expensive. And it's the government that can putting more and more regulations so that the heads of a childcare center spend all their time dealing with regulatory issues rather than actually caring for kids.
Speaker 6: So there are wage driving for the workers as well.
Speaker 3: Exactly, there are ways to reduce the costs without subsidizing it, which would be far preferable.
Speaker 1: And also to the men of Australia, to those who can afford it, Why do you get a.
Speaker 4: Wife and have children.
Speaker 1: Just to have your wife leave work for another man somewhere in a corporate office and have your children raised by strange women in a daycare center.
Speaker 4: Make it make sense to me?
Speaker 1: But to the mercury before I completely lose my lid. Abuse raids Tasmanian men charge six children removed from harm in the Philippines and international police operation which was launched after a forty one year old Tasmanian man was charged with buying child exploitation material online early this year, has resulted in the rescue of six children in the Philippe means hallelujah. The article goes on to talk about this joint investigation between the AFP and the Philippine National Police. Once they basically got his digital footprint, knew where this material was coming from, they were actually able to get their Philippine contingent in that country to basically.
Speaker 4: Do a raid and get the kids the hell out of there.
Speaker 1: I mean, I love stories like this because we know that the child sex slave trade has never been larger than it is today and this is a drop in the water, but thank God for every single drop.
Speaker 2: Well done to the AFP. That is a very good story. Let's go to the front page of Tomorrow's Australian.
Speaker 3: They've got interesting story about energy coalition plan to abolish carbon price by stealth. I didn't think we had a carbon price. The story says the Coalition will abolish or overhaul what it calls Labour's carbon price by stealth in a bid too boost fossil fuels under its energy plan, saying the new emissions reduction objective is making Australia's coal fleet look really expensive. Now, every new energy project in this country is measured against what is called value of emissions reduction, and so the energy regulator measures that at the moment, seventy dollars a ton for emissions is the price we four hundred and twenty dollars a ton by twenty fifty. When they measure this, it automatically makes things like coal seem inordinately expensive. And that's how they're able to claim that coal is too costly, it's not efficient, and to therefore rule out coal as any part of the energy mix based on cost. It's an entirely manufactured cost, it's entirely theoretical, and the Coalition are going to either stop using it or overhaul it in order to get real costings on coal and get more of it into the energy mix. Good idea, and clearly energy is going to be the major issue at the next election.
Speaker 5: I think the energy in housing I think will be the two big ones. But definitely cost of living, cost of living, cost of living and if there's room cost of living, that's all.
Speaker 6: It's going to be about.
Speaker 5: Speaking of rising temperatures, I know that my pulse was sent racing when I saw the front page.
Speaker 6: Of the Advertiser tomorrow. This just iconic. It's just it's just one of those amazing things.
Speaker 7: It is just so.
Speaker 5: It is just so Florida man. So in Adelaide, everybody knows who this man is. They don't even have to tell him. So it's as famous family and court duel with drug importer grandson.
Speaker 6: Oh tells you everything.
Speaker 5: And the header is impolites will fight, which is because I would have thought it was politis because that's how we would say that Sidney can't let that get in the way of a good Polite's family is embroiled in a legal fight over the estate of the family's matriarch after her convicted drug importer grandson claimed that he was entire to more of her multimillion dollar wealth. Marcus Sakanovich fifty four, is suing for more cash from his grandmother, Florence Gemenees Polites estate. She was married to Adelaide property king Con Polites for almost six decades and died in March, aged one hundred and two. Let's just look at that photo again. That is a man living his best life.
Speaker 3: Con himself died in the nineties. But you know there's been a number of family disputes. Back in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 6: Actually, yeah, when I say living his best life, he is now dead.
Speaker 2: He's deceased.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but actually dug up his burial plot because there was a cat wrapped in a towel, a dead cat buried with him, and police dug it up and there was a big investigation.
Speaker 2: Apparently that was part of a family feud as well.
Speaker 6: So there's been a few all families, you know one there.
Speaker 4: But I grew dieous respect.
Speaker 2: It's a great front page.
Speaker 6: So I talked about colorful Adelaide identity.
Speaker 2: It's just where to go to a break.
Speaker 3: When we come back, we'll look at the top ten things that Australians googled this year.
Speaker 2: See if you were interested in any of them that's coming up in a month.
Speaker 3: Well, most men watching would know that not every question a woman asks you is meant to be answered, Liz. Unfortunately, a UK politician.
Speaker 2: Had not learn this listener.
Speaker 1: His name is Lee Anderson and he's a little bit more famous today than he was yesterday.
Speaker 4: Why because he took to Twitter to reply to a woman's question.
Speaker 1: She said, women deal with periods, pregnancy and menopause, what do men have to deal with, to which he replied, try the Battle of the Psalm, referring to one of the bloodiest battles of the First World War, which saw one million casualties and over three hundred thousand fatalities.
Speaker 4: Men loved this reply and started sharing it, like my table Joe, who said this is my new standard reply.
Speaker 1: When my wife asks me to do the bins. Now, he came under a lot of fire for this by irate feminists, obviously.
Speaker 4: Me not being a feminist whatsoever.
Speaker 1: I was just reminded of this heart warming clip back in the day when we understood the difference between men and women and we didn't fight it.
Speaker 4: Who do you think goes to fight the wars?
Speaker 5: The boys they don't have to send women over there.
Speaker 8: You know why we probably lose the war because they start talking and then forget what they were over there.
Speaker 6: I love it, sciences love it.
Speaker 2: The science is in.
Speaker 1: But I mean the question remains, are women's lives harder than men's? That's what he was trying That's what she was trying.
Speaker 6: To was trying to.
Speaker 7: Question.
Speaker 5: I remember reading I've never been able to find it, but I remember reading on hearing that the adrenaline levels that men experience when they're Christmas shopping so high, so off the charts, that the only comparable measure is when they went over the top of the trenches.
Speaker 3: All right, before we go, let's look at the top ten Google searches in this country in twenty twenty four. Here they are, see if any of them are familiar to you. The top ten Google searches, If we put them up, the number one thing searched was US selection.
Speaker 2: That makes sense.
Speaker 3: Number two Olympic medal tally fair enough. Number three was the Euros that's the football competition. Then people who were interested in celebrities. Liam Payne, He's the one direction star who fell from the balcony of the hotel in Argentina, Taylor Swift. Right, let's look at the top trending recipes for twenty twenty four. Jamie Oliver Arefry was the number one googled thing. Cucumber sellard. Why would you google?
Speaker 2: I had something to do? One star Mantini That trending definitions. Here's the words that were googled. Demure Why do people want to know what? Demure? Wan?
Speaker 6: That have bright? There you go, save you.
Speaker 2: What's the second word? Soufflage soul feeds.
Speaker 6: Well, that's why people are googling as something to do with music. I think millennial leanth box.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 3: So they were the top ten googled definitions, recipes and topics this year.
Speaker 2: Well that's all we've got.
Speaker 6: Everyone feels smarter now, don't they around.
Speaker 2: Coming up is the Reader Panah Show. Good Night,