Speaker 1: Live on Sky News.
Speaker 2: This is Sharry, Thanks Andrew. Good evening and first tonight to the Democrat and media meltdown over Donald Trump's win. Last night, when it was clear voters had elected Trump the forty seventh president of the United States, Kamala Harris didn't concede defeat. She didn't call him or address her supporters who'd worked tirelessly for her. Instead, after learning the news that Trump had won, she waited a full fourteen hours before coming out to address the nation, fourteen hours to accept the election result and actually show up. It was four o'clock in the afternoon US time when she finally made these remarks.
Speaker 3: We all loyalty not to a president or a party, but to the Constitution of the United States, and loyalty to our conscience and to our God.
Speaker 2: My allegiance to.
Speaker 3: All three is why I am here to say, while I conceive this election, I do not concede the fate that fueled this campaign.
Speaker 2: It was an odd message to send, but as you can see, she looked drawn and devastated. It's almost as though the result came as a total shock to her and to the Democrats. They never could have imagined that anyone would possibly vote for Donald Trump because of course his hitler, he's a Nazi, he's a fascist. But seventy two point six million Americans did, and counting, that's nearly fifty one percent of voters.
Speaker 4: So are the.
Speaker 2: Democrats now saying that all of those seventy two point six million people, including black Americans, including Hispanics, are racist. Are they saying that the tens of millions of women who voted for Trump a sexist, because that was the excuse from some in the media and some Democrats today for why Kamala didn't win. Sexism and racism. Have a look.
Speaker 5: There were appeals to racism in this campaign, and there is racial bias in this country, and there is sexism in this country. And anybody who thinks that that did not in any way impact on the outcome of this race is wrong.
Speaker 6: That message obviously was not enough to get enough white women to vote for Vice President Harris, a fellow woman. This will be the second opportunity that white women in this country have to change the way that they interact with the patriarchy.
Speaker 7: She is a person of color, she is a she, and she is an interracial marriage.
Speaker 8: And I wonder I have this question mark in my mind.
Speaker 2: Over whether all of those things combined was too much for pockets of this country. Others meanwhile, said Kamala lost because voters no longer believed in democracy.
Speaker 9: I can't help but think that if this selection seems to be if it proves out that the millions of people who are watching Fox News, if that ends up being the case.
Speaker 8: Then.
Speaker 9: I can't help but wonder if the American people have given up on democracy.
Speaker 2: No, this result is the very reflection of democracy. It's democracy in action. Trump's wayen is not because voters have abandoned democracy. It's the precise opposite. It's because voters have embraced it. Americans didn't want to be told how to vote, how to think, what to do, by the media, by politicians, and by celebrities. Remember all those pop stars who told voters they just had to support one candidate, Kamala Harris.
Speaker 10: Have been ready to change the next eight years because we're going to make sure we have Kamala Harris in office.
Speaker 7: For eight year.
Speaker 6: Women supporting and celebrating the one and only Vice President Kamala Harris.
Speaker 7: And you are the ones who are going to send the message that Nevada is Harris Country.
Speaker 2: But then, to top all of that, I still can't get over the most outrageous and dishonest threat that Oprah made that there'd be no more future elections. Voters chose Donald Trump. Have a look at that.
Speaker 6: If we don't show up tomorrow, it is entirely possible that we will not have the opportunity to.
Speaker 2: Ever cast a ballot again. You can't blame sexism or racism or abandoning democracy for Trump winning. That's all nonsense. This was voters caring about substance over identity, politics, caring about policy over celebrity, caring about their future over the vibe. These are issues that millionaire pop stars can't possibly relate to concerns about famili's financial future and giving their kids the best chance at life. And the result is also a thorough rejection of woke policies of DEI, of the radical progressive wave the Democrat Party has been forcing on Americans, and similar to what's going on in Australia as well, this result is voters saying that they want to return to the things that actually matter, the economy, the cost of living, border control, national security and safety. On the streets. This is why Trump had a clean sweep. He's won two hundred and ninety five states, He's won the Senate, and we're waiting to see if he wins the House. But despite this resounding and decisive vote, some Democrats would still like to throw him in prison if they could. And here's New York Attorney General Letitia James today declaring war.
Speaker 11: We face this challenge before, and we use the rule of law to fight back, and we are prepared to fight back once again because as the attorney general of this greetstate, is my job to protect and defend the rates of New Yorkers and the rule of law.
Speaker 2: This is a unity, this is division. It's warfare. And imagine if just twenty four hours after the election, if Trump had said something like that, he'd be accused of inciting violence. Were his son Eric today said that this politics of fear is far from inspirational.
Speaker 7: Laura, how can that inspire you? That doesn't inspire people in this country? You know what it inspires people when when somebody, when a man comes out, I guess all odds fights every day of his life to say, listen, I'm going to deliver America. The greatest economy. We're going to be the best country in the world. We're going to win it everything where we do. We're going to win it. Education, we're gonna have the best military. We're going to take care of our vests. We're gonna have right to try.
Speaker 2: But for most of America, or half of America, Trump's win well was well received. The Dow Jones was up one five hundred and seven points, the first time in two years it jumped more than a thousand points in a single day. Internationally, world leaders have been calling Trump wishing him congratulations, including of course our Prime Minister Anthony Albanezi, who probably made the call through gritted to you after previously saying he was scared of him.
Speaker 1: We have an alliance with the US. We're going to deal with him.
Speaker 12: But that doesn't mean that you're uncritical about it. He's scared academy, and I think it's of some concern that the leader of the free world thinks that you can conduct politics through one hundred and forty characters on Twitter.
Speaker 2: Well, now the Albenzi government will be scared of the obvious lessons from the American election that economy trumps all else, that you can call someone a Nazi or a fascist, but voters will see through it. They don't want to be lectured to like Albinizi did with the Voice. They're sick of the work causes and the main issue they care about, the only issue, the only critical issue, is cost of living. With Australia's economy well behind the rest of the world, this should be terrifying Albinizi even more than a Trump presidency. Now the Albenze government is scrambling to show up support in the US in Washington after Trump's win, with the Australian newspaper reporting that senior cabinet ministers were very confident Kamala Harris would beat Trump and that it would be business as usual for Australia. Yet again, no understanding of the climate in America. But you can imagine the Albanese government how they'd be feeling quite nervous now given the past comments that many of them have made about Trump. Now Kevin rad who of course is our ambassador in Washington, he's in charge of handling our critical relationship with the US. And just a reminder, and I showed these back in March, but here's some footage of what he said about Trump in the past.
Speaker 10: The alliance is intrinsically valuable whatever the future may hold. And Trump's only around for another three years.
Speaker 4: May he is an.
Speaker 13: Objective problem the world, for the regent, for my country, and Donald, as.
Speaker 1: We know, is not.
Speaker 4: A leading intellectual force.
Speaker 14: You looked at a Trump rally and how many angry white men there are in those rallies.
Speaker 2: It's so damaging. The Prime Minister today claimed that none of this would be a problem.
Speaker 15: Kevin Ruddy is doing a terrific job and it says a lot about how important we regard the relationship with the United States that we appointed a former prime minister. Now I look forward to working with President Trump. I look forward. I've had demonstrated, i think, my ability to work with world leaders and to develop relationships with them which are positive.
Speaker 2: But Labor's obviously worried because today Sky News broke the story that Rudd has been deleting disparaging comments that he made about Trump on x. Rudd said in June twenty twenty that Trump was the most destructive president in history. He drags America and democracy through the mud. He thrives and fermenting, not healing division. He abuses Christianity, Church and Bible to justify violence, all aided and abetted by Murdoch's Fox News networks in America. Welp that garbage has now been deleted by Right, and so as this tweet from February twenty twenty two, Donald Trump is a traitor to the West. Murdoch was Trump's biggest backer, and honor goes all gone or deleted. Rudd's private office said he did this to eliminate the possibility of such comments being misconstrued as reflecting his position as ambassador and by extension, the views of the Australian government. But really this all just draws more public attention to what Rudd has said repeat in many occasions on video and on X in the past. And this is all right at the time, our government on behalf of all Australia needs to make sure the relationship is rock solid. Well, Simon Birmingham today implied that Rudd might have to go.
Speaker 16: We want to see him succeed because it's in Australia's best interest for our ambassador in Washington. Of course, Kevin Right is not bigger than Australia's interests. Nor is Anthony Alby's Albanese's personal commitment to Kevin Rudd.
Speaker 2: And Michael Kroger said the same on My show, but in stronger terms last night. Any decent ambassador, a Peacock, a Beasley or Hockey, anyone who'd said that about the US president would resign. It's shocking judgment. Kevin Rudd should have known that there was a possibility Rudd could come back in the future. The MAGA movement clearly never went away. Really poor judgment. All right, let's bringing now a national senator Matt Canavan and commentator Jason Morrison. Matt, what do you think do you think this does put all of Australia in a difficult position because of Rudd's shocking judgment in the past. I mean, those remarks were so juvenile.
Speaker 1: Look, they were juvenile or unwise.
Speaker 17: But I don't want to see Kevin go because I don't think the Australian ambassad should be determined by the votes of Americans. This is our ambassador, it's our country and we should ultimately decide who is there. Obviously we need him to work in our country's interests.
Speaker 1: So I think that can be done.
Speaker 17: I mean, Donald Trump has shown a remarkable ability to work with people that have said the most vitrolic thing is about him in the past, including his vice presidential pick. So look, obviously Kevin needs to apologize as he's had as he has his apology needs to be as loud as his disrespect was in the first place. And I think if he shows signific and diplomatic skills, our relationship will be fine. So look, I'm not too worked up about it. I'm much more worked up about the government's mad cap green climate policies and how that's at odds with now the new administration's agenda and what that means for our country. But who's actually in the ambassador's office in Washington, DC. I don't think it affects many people's lives here in this country.
Speaker 2: You know what, Matt. I wasn't so worked up about it last night either, because I'd been speaking to people, you know, on this show, like Joe Hockey, who said to me, Kevin Rudd's been working so hard to make a man's building bridges. But then I watched those comments that he made. I mean that was from my own report back in March this year, and just look at watching again the vitriol with which he criticized Trump's intellect, how he called him a traitor, how he said he was abusing Christianity in the Bible and lashed out at all of us here at NewsCorp as well. And this ultimately is the Prime Minister's bad judgment.
Speaker 10: Look that he had to delete the tweets in its self tells you how inappropriate a choice.
Speaker 4: He was for the job in the first place. Everybody knew it. Let's not kid ourselves.
Speaker 10: He's over there because they've got the trouble out of the room. You know, he's not there because he's the greatest pick in Australia right now to go and represent Australia's interest. He's there because if he stays here he has a habit of causing trouble for his own team.
Speaker 2: He can't keep his trap.
Speaker 10: Shut, as that has demonstrated. So they had to get him out of the country. There was a job hopefully that'll work. It didn't work if he had any class at all. And I'm saying this and the knowledge that Kevin Rudd has none.
Speaker 4: But if he had any class at all, he'd resign.
Speaker 2: He would do.
Speaker 10: What's best for Australia, and I take what Matt says, and Matt is right. We shouldn't be dictated to by another country as to who we send there, but we should hope that someone, for god knows how what reason ended up Prime Minister of Australia would have at least the class, decency and intellect to figure out that this may not be good for this country's best interest. I mean, right now there's farmers absolutely trembling at the prospect of tariff.
Speaker 2: Changes and whatever. So it's going to bring that up road.
Speaker 4: It's not going to be able to do anything. They won't even talk to it.
Speaker 2: Exactly what I mean. Australia is going to be expecting an exemption, ye as we've had in the past, the ten percent tariffs. But we've got rud who's going to negotiate that. Who said all these nasty things about Trump before class should Trump have to just overlook it wasn't a one off lapse of judgment. It was a repeat pattern behavior. Matt, I want to ask you about this fascinating move by the coalition. Now, the coalition like we have at Sky News, like you know, people on the left and right, we've all been extremely concerned about Alboneze government's misinformation and disinformation built. We've been covering it on this show extensively under the cover of the US election. That was introduced yesterday for debate. Now, Matt, what's so interesting though, is that now the coalition's saying, given Elon Musk is going to have a senior role, we don't know exactly what in the Trump administration. This is yet another reason for Labor to dump the bill. Talk me through this.
Speaker 17: Well, look, I think this would be a much better step than worrying about, as I say, who lives in the ambassador residence in Washington, d C. This is going to have a much bigger I think impact and ten create tension with our relationship. Under this bill that the government is proposing, not only does it silence the speech of Australians, they are proposing too fine social media companies up to five percent of their global revenue. It is absolutely absurd. And this is not actually just about Elon Musk. Obviously that is an issue who he is very close to Donald Trump and he's the owner of x slash Twitter. But just the other week at Trump on the campaign trail was saying how he was outraged at the EU trying to find Apple twenty two billion dollars for various offenses, and he was going to take up the cause of Tim Cook if he became president again.
Speaker 1: So clearly Donald Trump is going.
Speaker 17: To defend the iNTS of American commercial companies as you'd expect him to do as the American president. And if we're serious about avoiding the impact of tariffs that Trump might put in place, we would take these sort of things off the table. As I said that, I'll have more impact I think than who rocks up to talk to the White House about Australian tariff. So the government should It was always unwise this bill, but the government should at least defer it right.
Speaker 1: Now and get the US relationship on solid ground.
Speaker 2: Jason, what do you think about the fact that Albin Ezi introduced this legislation for debate yesterday when everyone was focused on the US election.
Speaker 10: Yes, and while it's still off at committee, there are community groups in Australia for and against this that are still waiting to have their say, and they were offered that by the Parliament of Australia. So the bill is still being investigated at the moment and they've flopped it on the table and said, let's go for it.
Speaker 4: Let's take advantage of the situation.
Speaker 10: It says everything, and look the irony here the irony. We have the political class. Sorry, Matt, I'll give you an exemption just for a moment on this one. But the political class, notorious for lying, bullshitting to the public, that has the arrogance to want to introduce a bill to protect them from disinformation, and they're doing it under the cover the darkest, dirtiest political trick while the world's look in another way, everything about the class of people we have in that office.
Speaker 2: And as I've said before, we've seen the number of things that Anthony Albernezi himself has slapped the misinformation label on, things like, you know, people who disagreed with the voice that you know that was.
Speaker 10: Most of this show, Actually most of this show is disinformation.
Speaker 4: You can't help for Shari.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anything, well, you know, it's not even a joke.
Speaker 1: Actually, you're exempt is exempt?
Speaker 2: Well, there are that's.
Speaker 1: Not exactly just trying.
Speaker 2: That's not exactly correct, because if an individual shares content that was produced by the media, then I understand that individual could be true. It could be the ability.
Speaker 4: To go and figure this out for itself.
Speaker 10: It doesn't need Alban Easy or the righteous mob of Akhma or anyone like that to go around and do it. And we're sure as hell, we're sure as hell don't need legislation sort of put in the back door, the sly way, the dirty trainer and wants to see on the worst possible day, it's just not the way it's done here from the country first on this one and realize the errors of your way, because we're waiting.
Speaker 1: Australia is waiting.
Speaker 2: I'm going to say the situation is already bad enough. I mean, Matt Canavan, you know this. During the COVID pandemic, posts that were labeled misinformation and taken down included images that mocked down your Landrys.
Speaker 17: Exactly right. We remember you remember very well. So are you're in the thick of it.
Speaker 1: Posts that claim the virus came from a lab and we han't. We're classified.
Speaker 4: You've just got us off YouTube now mate, we won't be able.
Speaker 17: Still doing change that rule now, No, no's still doing it on.
Speaker 2: That issue, not on the COVID. That's not misinformation.
Speaker 10: Anyone pulling it down, it down COVID, COVID, COVID.
Speaker 17: Well, I'm sorry I've hit your monetization. I mean, it's it is just absurd. And Jason summed it up really well. We do not need an information sar looking over every one of Australian's shoulders. We're adults. We can assess for ourselves the veracity of information. Let's let a thousand flowers bloom and let people communicate freely.
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly now. I want to ask you both about Kamala Harris taking around fourteen hours after the election result became obvious before she eventually fronted the media. Jason, this was so offensive and then her speech, what did you make of it up? I didn't think it was great. I mean, what was she actually saying? You don't have to respect of believe in one president or one political party. You have to believe in the constitution. I mean, what messages that sending to Democrats?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well they never get the message.
Speaker 10: They're very slow learners, these people.
Speaker 4: That was disgraceful.
Speaker 10: The performance initially put aside her obligations to her country that had just made a very profound choice about where.
Speaker 4: It wanted to go with his future.
Speaker 10: The day before but then to do it to her support base and to show up with that contemptuous woffle this morning. The words salad of platitudes and all the lines she didn't get to use earlier in the campaign got churned out for the speech last I just thought it was disgraceful and it just confirms that she will go down in history as a footnote that people will forget and there'll be a trivial pursuit question one day, and that'll be Kamala Harrison.
Speaker 2: She could come back and take the party to another election. What do you think, Matt about the speech that she finally gave after not speaking to her supporters last night.
Speaker 17: Look, I didn't see the speech apart from the excerpts I heard earlier. Look, I suppose I'd like to focus on the positives today. I think it's been a positive week for the world. I think Donald Trump is the right choice, but it was always up to a Americans. He won emphatically, and I think that's something to celebrate. I was very worried about a close election either way and the tensions that may create in the US.
Speaker 1: It's a bit of a tinderbox, but no one has won.
Speaker 17: This is the largest electoral college result for Republicans since nineteen eighty eight.
Speaker 1: We had that confirmed today.
Speaker 17: He's had massive swings right across the country, including in blue states. I think the Democrats will here try Look you can see some of them with the attorneyso on New York continuing trying to continue the battle through other means now, but I just think that'll probably fizz out. It's been such an emphatic victory that I think the vast majority of Americans will get behind the rehired president in Donald Trump. And that would be a great thing in the world if he could heal some of those divisions in unite are the most important country in.
Speaker 4: The free world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, wish for thinking, but you never know. Matt Canavan, Jason Morrisen, great to see you both. Thank you all right, and that's Cross Live to New York, where Ross Greenwood, Sky News host joins us. Ross, you've been reporting doing such a fantastic job over in New York and massive news today. As we expected, there was a surge in the stock market. I mean, the best result in a single day in two years.
Speaker 18: Yeah, that's right, and that was really the response to Trump's victory is emphatic victory because to be honest, if he'd not had control of the House or control of the Senate, then the response on the markets would not have been as great. But what this is all about is Donald Trump being able to enact what he's been saying. And this is one of the keys, is that people have actually got to listen to Donald Trump, listen to his policies and understand that that is now going to come to pass. He will have nothing in the way to actually enact things such as cutting taxes, reducing taxes on tips, on overtime, on social services, and also cutting tax rates. And so what he's going to do is basically put more money in Americans hands, as he says, bring more industry back into the United States. Just one thing, also, is it today our time. There's going to be an interest rate decision from the Federal Reserve.
Speaker 4: And there's going to be an interst rate cut of.
Speaker 18: At least a quarter of a percent. So they cut by half a percent last month, quarter of a percent this month, adding more stimulus into the US economy. So really, in many ways the stock marketer is picking up this, but just a little heads up, and this is something for Australia to consider is that it's likely in the longer term, with Trump pumping more money in the US economy picks up, there will not be as many interest rate cuts as people are expecting, and that may very well transfer itself around the world and into Australia as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it could be slightly inflationary, is basically what you're saying. Ross. We've seen that. You know, Trump has been in our data today with phone calls from world leaders. But you've got I think some of those world leaders, if not all of them, will be getting nervous about the tariffs that he said he's going to introduce.
Speaker 18: Absolutely, of course they would be. Can you imagine China. He wants US sixty percent tariffs on goods coming in from China, and what that's about is trying to drive more businesses to invest in America. So the warning of a twenty five percent tariff on goods coming in from Mexico. Previously, the North American Free Trade Agreement has allowed goods to come in without any additional taxes from Mexico. But he's saying now, if you don't fix your borders, if you don't stop the flow of people across those borders, then we'll hit your goods with tariffs and really start to stemy your economy. For Australia, a ten percent tariff on all goods despite the fact that we have a free trade agreement with the United States. Now the way in which each individual country negotiates is going to also depend on a whole bunch of other stuff, including how much we spend on defense, and that's going to really trouble I think the government and Jim Charmers in terms of framing budgets now, and that's before the next election, because the reality is unless you're spending two percent of the budget here and in Europe, then the message is expect the United States to.
Speaker 1: Find a way to.
Speaker 18: Get you to pay in other ways, and that could be through tariffs. But remember that these tariffs will also drive down taxes in the United States, and that's another reason why the stock market, as we said, is stronger, and also the US dollar is stronger as well.
Speaker 2: I think the impact of the tariffs hasn't been thoroughly understood yet or there's a lot of conflicting views on how that will flow through the American economy. But ross interestingly, the IBA Governor was asked about how this could impact on Australia in cened estimates this morning. So let's have a look at what Michelle bullacat to say.
Speaker 19: Obviously, there's issues to do with elections, particularly the election in the United States. What happens there remains to be seen, so I think it to be early to judge what some of the implications of that might be. There are obviously people talking about the potential implications of tariffs and those sorts of things.
Speaker 2: So ross today, a federal Reserve decision in the United States expected to be the second interest rate cut as you've just flagged, and yet in Australia we've been on hold. We're not going to have an interest rate cut at least into well into next year. Why is Australia so far behind on this inflation path than overseas.
Speaker 4: It's pretty easy, isn't it. You work it out.
Speaker 18: The government spent a whole bunch of money, a lot.
Speaker 4: Of it off the books.
Speaker 18: They've actually tried to artificially bring down the price or the rate of inflation by handing out all of that cost of living relief. In other words, making people feel good about the government is what that's about. And then try and really muscle the Reserve Bank in the cutting interst rates which the Reserve.
Speaker 1: Bank is seeing through.
Speaker 18: And then consider wage rises in Australia's economy. This you know, when you saw more of them come through this week, the labor market strong. People are getting paid more money and the fact is that really that is adding to inflation. So while you've got this situation taking place in Australia, it really and the government has got controls of some of those leavers, it's not going to come down anytime soon.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 18: Australia's economy is going pretty sideways at the moment, and you'd reckon rather than handwringing at the moment, which many Australians seem to be doing post this US election, they'd be learning from the US election. They'd be actually understanding that the people are pretty angry with politicians who don't do something about the cost of living, who don't do something about actually allowing them to get on with their business, to encourage them to make more money, and to encourage business to get on and make a few more dollars as well.
Speaker 2: All Right, Russ Greenwood again, congrats on a terrific week covering the US election. We'll see you back here shortly now still to come. I'm going to be joined after the break by Paul Murray, and we'll look at just how the Democrats have started to do soul searching, how they're blaming everyone else but Kamala Harris. That's after the break, Welcome back. Well, as we've been speaking about, Democrats are now in a world of pain over the election result, sexism, racism, anything but their own candidate. We've also heard that from Democrat commentators across the board. Have they've all used the same line that Kamala Harris ran a flawless campaign. Well so flawless it delivered Donald Trump. Let's bring in our Sky News host Paul Murray live in Washington. Paul, Yeah, it was certainly flawless from Trump's perspective. It's always fun watching the left wing meltdowns to fair elections. The excuses for why Trump one are coming in thick and fast, and we've even started to hear leaks from Joe Biden's camp that he would have done better than Kamala.
Speaker 14: See this is why I love you know we're on exactly the same page because this is where the story goes right, which is about the tension of Biden and Harris. Now, so to explain the structure of the campaign, basically, the entire machine that was there for Joe Biden, as soon as Kamala Harris became the candidate, all of that machine stayed in place. So obviously all of those people are loyal to Biden, so any attempts to have a strategy of throwing him under the bus, they were all going to resist it. But there was somebody who was put as the cherry on top for Kamala Harris.
Speaker 4: It was a man called David Pluff.
Speaker 14: Now, David Pluff is a former the bloke who put together the two thousand and eight and twenty twelve Obama victories, made an awful lot of money in the private sector and political advice since, and he sort of has sat back a little bit as kind of like you know, the perfect coach of the perfect team, all the rest of it, and sort of as sat back and he didn't get involved in Hillary.
Speaker 4: And for him to now.
Speaker 14: Be at the heart and soul of the Harris campaign, we now have the beginnings of the fight for the narrative, and it's the Obama camp versus the Biden camp versus the Harris camp. And when you were saying that, all the reporters all said the same thing at the same time. Guess what, we all know where they were getting their information, because of course they were all being spoon fared all the way through this campaign, all being spoon fed about fifty to fifty, all being spoon fed about oh ten percent of independence and late decider is just garbage, right that they knew that would be uncritically reported on the air. But yeah, so Biden will officially speak today. He's obviously going to walk away when people start to ask questions, but pay attention because the next couple of days we're going to start to really see that the campaign of Joey was not behind the scenes.
Speaker 2: No, one hundred percent. And you could see it in Kamala Harris's face today and obviously she's going to be disappointed, but it was beyond it was shattered, you know, clearly such a shark. And again we're seeing that in the leaks coming out to CNN. Report is just that shock that they didn't win. And you know what's so amazing is that there's this surprise that American voters actually cared about issues like inflation and immigration more than a fear campaign about Donald Trump's character. I mean, this is just a massive misunderstanding of regular families, isn't it, Paul.
Speaker 8: Well one hundred percent.
Speaker 14: And also it's a bit of an insight, and it can happen to politicians on all of the spectrum, but it is a particular feature of a certain type of politician that we have right now on the let's be polite and say center left, but most likely further out to the left. It's what we see in and around the people around elbow right, which is never admit a mistake, just never admit a mistake. But obviously, sir, you know the building behind you is on fire. No, no, no peaceful protests.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 14: This sort of Jedi mind trick stuff that they think that their incredible political science and all the rest of it means that they can somehow get you to believe, to not believe your eyes. And a perfect example of that, we say, let's go back to let's go back to when Biden is clearly you know, the computer ain't connected anymore, and you can start to see sort of, you know, those pupils getting bigger and bigger. Oh that's a cheap fake. I mean, that's a made up word. They literally made up words to distract from the reality of what was happening. And I think as well that that part of the part of the problem for Harris was Okay, let's let's imagine that you and I are in the same scenario. Okay, now you know you've been my vice president and I'm turning around and clearly I can't do the job. But imagine that we've been friends for four years, so much so that you're the vice president. Well, I would say to you, look, mate, I get it, do whatever you can, throw me under the bus. I just want you to win. But clearly that conversation never took place, and I think that's because there was a very poor relationship.
Speaker 4: Between these two.
Speaker 14: Remember ninety plus per cent of her staff walked out of her office. So you know, again, when you lose, everything that anyone's ever said that's bad about you is true, and when you win, everyone's a genius and every little thing. But I think today's story is this peak behind the curtain at at how chaotic things were, and surprise, surprise, the American voters could just see straight through it. They know they were being BS two, and they know that there was this performance of this happy, go lucky person who the second they got the worst possible news of losing an election said to tens of thousands of people who turned up, bugger off, I'll see it tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, And just the lack of substance. And really, I think Brett Bayer was the biggest journalistic star of this campaign because he was the only person who did a proper interview. Paul, by the way, I loved your idea of us being president and VP. Can you imagine if we were in charge of the world. I'm actually glad, actually glad we're not.
Speaker 14: Can you imagine? Can you imagine that sand you can hear is the media writers of the Guardians heads exploding it any suggestion on it.
Speaker 2: My number one thing would be helping Israel blow up Iran's nuclear site. So yeah, everyone wants to from the White House.
Speaker 8: Look at you already dreaming of having the button.
Speaker 14: It was a metaphor to tell a story, and you're playing out it anyway.
Speaker 1: God love you. I will serve the pleasure of the president.
Speaker 2: I think you were the president and I was your VP In that scenario. But anyway, Paul, you've got but.
Speaker 14: Then I was too old and then you replaced me.
Speaker 2: Okay, exactly, Paul. We're going to have more of your fun and sharp analysis at nine o'clock tonight. Again, your coverage has been just sensational. No one can miss it. Paul. Thank you very much. We'll see you at nine. Thank you do Now still to come Turnbulls warning to alban Easy about Trump and how the ABC was devastated with Trump's when all of this and more after this quick break, welcome back. Well, the ABC is meant to be impartial, but it has a poor record when it comes to well virtually every topic, and its coverage of the US election has been no different. My colleague Chris Kenny did a brilliant job tonight in his editorial exposing ABC bias. Here's a little bit of what he had to say tonight, and he played a grab from John Lyons, a well known critic of Israel.
Speaker 20: He's very much building a campaign based on fear. It's fear of the enemy within, its fear of so called Venezuelan gangs who are with military grade weapons. It's fear of you know, this country being swamped. It's fear of the future versus Kamala Harris is very much building something looking at the future and hope. And so, to almost use a pun, the question is will will fear Trump hope fear versus hope?
Speaker 4: Listen to him?
Speaker 1: What planet is he on your text?
Speaker 2: Dollars sent that blog to Washington. And furthermore, it was actually Trump who was giving families hope for their future, while Kamala Harris was instilling fear about who she called a fascist Republican leader and the end of democracy and basically the end of days should Trump win. And by the way, if you missed Chris's show at five o'clock today, you have got to go back and watch the rest of that editorial on the media bias, because John Lyons did then go on to say how Trump's win would be devastating for Palestinians and for Lebanese people, whereas, in fact, as Chris pointed out, Trump's win is the best chance for regional peace, peace through strength, not through constant demands of a ceasefire, not through ultimatums, not through threatening not to send in a weapons and all the while giving billillions of dollars to Iran, which inevitably funds terrorism. To discuss, Let's bring in now, former defense intelligence analyst Paul Monk and senior fellow at the Menzies Research Center, Nick Cater. Paul and Nick. Wonderful to see you both. Nick. That sort of commentary from the ABC is atrocious, isn't it. I mean, saying that Americans had a choice between fear and hope when seventy two zero point six million people voted for Trump. I mean, how is that impartial?
Speaker 21: Is that really the best signs could do? I mean, it's such a cliche, isn't it. What does he actually mean fear and hope? It's just as you say, it's atrocious. It's what we come to expect from this particular bloke, John Lyons. I mean, you saw, you've seen his coverage out of the Middle East, and how biased that it is really towards the Palestinians and towards the Muslim Cause.
Speaker 1: It's really terrible.
Speaker 21: The job is done there, and thank goodness you you and over and did more in a week over there to correct the balance than he'd done in all the time he's spent there. I think it's enormously disappointing. It does go to show those showing that this US election touched a lot of nerves around the world, amongst people of shall we say, our woke disposition, who are now really nervous about this pushback and really insulting about the kind of people who vote for Donald Trump. And I guess the sort of people that would vote for Nigel Farage or even Peter Dunn't for that matter. They hate these people.
Speaker 2: I mean, Paul, And how do you read this? Do you think this is part of a perhaps even a global trend to reject this woke elite.
Speaker 4: Will.
Speaker 22: It'd certainly come to the surface strongly in this case. And if I may briefly just go back to the point that Nick was making, one would have expected of a serious national broadcast that the first thing they would have said is what an astonishing result.
Speaker 4: We got this wrong? All the polsters got it wrong again. How can that be? This is a profound.
Speaker 22: Question for any serious journalist to ask that instead they're simply lamenting it and siding with Kamala Harris's really, on the face of it, a scandal.
Speaker 4: So that'd be my first observation.
Speaker 22: Secondly, though, I think that it is that you've got to say a great demonstration of what democracy is about that this can happen. I mean, nobody can say that this election was fiddled. It was fair, it was free, it was meticulously recorded, and the American people made clear they knew very well who Donald Trump was, they'd had seen him before his president, and they voted in their tens of minutes for him. That should be what's been closely analyzed, not disparaged by any serious broadcaster.
Speaker 2: And that's why I think the personality attacks ultimately didn't work, because voters knew who they were getting. You know, there were no surprises there. Now let's have a look at former Prime Minister Malcolm Turbule. He came out today to one alban easy not to suck up to Trump. Have a look.
Speaker 13: I stood up to him, stood my ground in kurt Is wrath. One is respect, and then got very good outcomes for Australia. But that does require some determination and you know, some courage perhaps, but you've got to be You've got to be forthright, and so that personal relationship has got to be one grounded in respect. And what Trumps respects is strength. So if you suck up to Trump, you'll just get you just have to do more sucking up.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure about that, Nick, What do you think do you think? I think flattery probably would work a genuine respect more than having an argument.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 21: Look, it's a funny way I'm looking at it. Isn't it whether you suck up to him or whether you show weakness. I just hope that our Prime minister would go and represent Australia's interest very strongly. But also I think respect the respect the president for what he is. He's a man who represents the largest democracy or the most largest economy in the world, and the most powerful democracy, the greatest force for good of the last century. He deserves enormous respect. And what worries me I think about Albanesi and at some of the things he said, and indeed our ambassador Washington, Kevin Rudas, they haven't been very respective towards him.
Speaker 4: I think they need to be.
Speaker 2: Paul, what do you think is the best way for Australia to deal with the new administration.
Speaker 22: It seems to me what the Albanezi government needs to do is to demonstrate not by faming and.
Speaker 4: Not by ideological confrontation.
Speaker 22: If that's what meant is that's what Turble means by standing up to Trump or being strong, but rather by demonstrating indeeds as well as in words, that we are in fact a robust ally of the Pax Americana, that we see American's role in the world as supremely important. We don't regret our seventy years compromised by that alliance, and we do see that there are dangerous in the world at the moment. We want to stand with the US in buttressing that world order.
Speaker 4: That we wouldn't respect. I feel confident in saying.
Speaker 2: Just on a local politics topic, the Albanezy government's going to convene a special national Cabinet meeting tomorrow to raise the age of social media to sixteen. Have a look.
Speaker 15: The onners will be on social media platforms to demonstrate they are taking reasonable steps to prevent access. The owners won't be on parents or young people. There will be no penalties for users.
Speaker 23: What our approach does helps to achieve a balance between minimizing those harms that are caused by young people accessing social media while still enabling connection and inclusion.
Speaker 2: Nick most parents will welcome this move, but we still don't have the detail on how this is actually going to work.
Speaker 21: No, and I think parents have the central role to play here, and what the government should be doing is pushing the social media companies, particularly Apple and Google, who control the apps, to give parents access and control over what their children are doing online. This has been lacking up to now. Up to now, it's been easier for an employer to get control over what his employee is doing online than it has been for a parent. This has to change, and I think the pressure on big tech needs to be to empower parents to take the primary role in looking after their children online.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I think it's very difficult if you leave it up to parents because peer pressure comes into it, and no parent wants their child to be left out of the social circle. So I think I've got a different view on that, Paul. Just another topic related to social media. We saw today that Canada took action to band TikTok. Australia still hasn't done.
Speaker 4: This, Yes, and it raises fascinating issues.
Speaker 22: And I would have thought that because TikTok is grounded in Beijing, because like all Chinese companies, it is penetrated by the Communist Party and it's used to pick up data about people. We shouldn't be in doubt about that. Then it's a problem for the Western democracy. So if we're trying to sort out the way in which we're going to relate to China in commercial terms, we should be looking very seriously at that kind of issue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, all right, Nick Hater, Paul Monk, really appreciate your insights. Now still to come. Ray Hardley's shock news today that he's leaving the air waves. His voice is a huge loss. My thoughts after the break well sad news today that Ray Hardley has called time and he's more than forty year career. The two GB host announced he was leaving his gig live on air this morning.
Speaker 8: My children Dan, Laura, Emma and Sarah have made sacrifices over the years for me to realize my ambitions. Seven years ago I had no grand children. Now I have seven. I want to spend more time in the company of Avat, Noah, Ella, Lala, Tommy, Remi and Miller, along with him, Um and Dad. Over three years ago I married the master amating woman, Sophie. Forever eighteen years, she's been my colleague. Now she's the most supportive, coming, loving wife anyone could ask for, and she deserves a break. If I copied in the newspaper on other media, she gets more upset than I do.
Speaker 2: Now. Ray's career has been amazing. He actually started out as a taxi driver. It was a chance meeting with a two UI news director in nineteen eighty that led to his radio career and since he took over as breakfast as morning host on two GB, he's unbeaten and unbeatable. He's won one hundred and sixty consecutive ratings surveys. He was inducted into the Acohol of Fame back in twenty seventeen. He's the most awarded broadcaster in the history of the ACRAS. But most importantly to me, since October seven, Ray has been a really strong voice on anti Semitism, an ally of the Jewish community. He hasn't been recognized enough for this. He didn't do it because it was easy. He did it because it was the right thing to do. I've personally been so grateful for his support. I don't know what we're going to do without his strong voice on these critical issues every single morning. He deserves more credit for this. I wish he wasn't leaving Ray Hadley and by the way, he's going to be on with Paul Murray in a moment. I'll see you all on Monday at eight o'clock. Thank you for watching this week. And here's Paul