Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Something to Talk About Mastella Podcast. I'm Sarah Lamarquin, your host, and this year I have had the privilege of sitting down with some of the biggest names in the country. Because when Estralia's celebrities are ready to talk, they come to Something to Talk About. We're continuing to publish across the summer break and we'll be back with a brand new episode on January twelfth. In the meantime, each day for the next two weeks, we'll be revisiting some of your favorite episodes from the past year. And I'm happy to report that there have been a lot of popular episodes, but out of the fifty we released in twenty twenty four, we've narrowed it down to ten conversations to revisit over the summer break. Today you'll hear from Pip Edwards and Julie Bishop, and unlikely double act who at first glance might not seem to have much in common, but together their powerful friendship transcends their vastly different lives. So what happened when we two of the most talked about women in Australia in front of a microphone? Have a listen and find out when I say Julie Bishop and Pip Edwards sitting in the studio together with me on the cover of Stella today. It's a pairing that not everyone would expect. Might think, oh, are they working on something together?
Speaker 2: We're always working on something together.
Speaker 3: Something's always cooking, but not the cooking they would expect.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: Well, I stumbled upon this friendship by happy accident. We were at an event together last year. It was the white shirt campaign, Remember it And how did it first come about?
Speaker 2: Well? I knew of Pitt obviously through her p Nation brand in the early days of.
Speaker 3: Nation, and obviously I knew of Julie Bishop.
Speaker 2: And then we met at a fashion I think we maybe seeing you, but we met at a fashion awards night. I was presenting to you the Star Vanguard of Future as Australian award to PEE Nation, and I was so proud of what Pip had managed to achieve on the world stage, because as Foreign Minister, I'd been right into fashion diplomacy, promoting Australian fashion, and I was firmly in the view that Australian fashion was as good as any nation's fashion in the world in our own way, and that it should be promoted as other commodities and other sectors of the industry were, so to have Pee Nation recognized in this way was a big thrill, and we actually.
Speaker 4: Liked to have Julie Bishop champion fashion and be such an amazing supporter of the industry and all the brands.
Speaker 2: Like but your pe Nation. The story was just brilliant. I remember talking to you that night about I was going running the next day and you said straight to the hotel. I like, sure, Yeah, that was terrific.
Speaker 3: But then there's been.
Speaker 4: Numerous events like we always see each other on the circuit and always have fashion shows, but it's always all side, honest cut through conversations.
Speaker 2: Yeah we're not We're not talking about the fashion or the event. We're talking about reasonal things. I'm collecting with you know, what are you up to? What's happening? And we have experienced some you know, some odd moments that have become public in our lives, and we've got a lot to share, a lot to.
Speaker 3: Talk about, a lot to support and connect on.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I admire everything you do from from a work perspective, but I really respect Pip as a girlfriend and I can tell you anything I have no, that's you know what, and.
Speaker 3: That's actually the thing, and I think you'll see.
Speaker 4: I think that's the energy that people pick actually picked up on today on set was like the freedom to flow and the freedom to talk without having to watch your words or something or what's the agenda.
Speaker 3: And that's really rare in our.
Speaker 4: Positions and our industry because we are two women that do get exposed and we are up for scrutiny and judgment or you know, admiration, whatever it is. And you've you've been we've been burnt before and all these things, so there's always a bit of a guard.
Speaker 3: Never ever, ever, ever.
Speaker 2: Likewise likewise, immediately go girlfriend.
Speaker 1: For each of you individually, do you feel like you've made a lot of friends in your respective life since you both became public figures. Obviously you've had very different careers, very different timelines. But is that hard to discover people if you like, because obviously everyone has people that have been in there.
Speaker 2: You're talking to a politician. If you want to find a friend in politics by a dog, There's that, there's that side of it. But this is a friendship outside my career, as this is passion for me. I mean, fashion is a passion. It's a way of life for pit obviously, but I have the same passion. I absolutely identify with her love of fashion and style and love what she's doing. So yeah, we were obviously always going.
Speaker 4: But I think friendships friendships, but it's not Yeah, it's since being a bit more public. There are friendships in the industry, and you know why, and yours too, because you know it's been I've spent like nearly twenty five years in the industry, so of course you kind of grow up together with people through the industry. So there are friendships, but this one's a bit different because it's just there's.
Speaker 3: No yeah, there's no consition.
Speaker 4: No, there's an absolute like the it's relatable, it's vulnerable.
Speaker 2: You make me love, honest, to make me love.
Speaker 4: And she can whisper things that are under her breath that she basically whispers what I'm thinking, you know what I mean. And I think that's why happened on set today. There were some whispers going on there.
Speaker 2: And they kept saying would you just.
Speaker 3: And everyone was just like, we wish we had a mic on them.
Speaker 1: I wanted to ask a question for each of you separately. As you said you both, of course, knew of each other, and then you met and you had those first impressions, and then a very genuine friendship was born. But what will your observations, Piper might ask you first of the Jewelie bishop that you knew as Foreign Minister, deputy leader of the Liberal Party.
Speaker 4: You can't even fathom that as a woman, that it's so iconic and just reputable. And I was actually in shock that I was in shock that she would even talk to me in that sense, because I sometimes think the fashion industry can be seen as a bit glamorous or a bit fickle in a way. Sometimes, you know, and there's this woman that's on the world stage, representing the country and talking with like serious serious business, and she is just slightly gushing about fashion, and I just was blown away. And that's the humbleness that I see.
Speaker 1: And then as you've come to know her so well, become so close and such good friends, and as you've talked about that trust, which is so rare to find and such a quality in someone that everyone listening to this knows what that's like. When you find somebody that you trust innately. I mean, there is no value on that.
Speaker 4: Well, it just cuts the ball to it and it's like we launched straight into the chat. There's no there's we don't have to do the fluff niceties.
Speaker 3: Like it's just like what's going on here?
Speaker 2: You know, I cut to the chair. I love it.
Speaker 3: It's like that's just how it is.
Speaker 2: Well, when I met Pip, she exemplified everything that I'd been talking about and promoting in terms of Australian fashion. She was creative, she was innovative, she was a risk taker and a very independent and proud woman who took no prisoners. She I just really admired her and loved her style and her dynamism and exuded that night. Do you remember being up on stage and she was just so much fun.
Speaker 3: But that's the other thing. She's so much fun, So for a part so serious, it was such a.
Speaker 4: Serious game with serious leaders, Like you know, next minute she's like, oh, when when I was with the Queen and then when I was with and she's talking about crazy president and then she's like hanging out like whatever. She drops these names and it's not like dropping them like they're literally the people.
Speaker 2: She is around, And I thinking like.
Speaker 4: But you're not name dropping because that's your world and then you, you know, talking a little on me and but having a laugh.
Speaker 2: No, but like that's Yeah.
Speaker 1: Did that sense of humor come as a surprise, Yeah to you, Yes, what else came as a surprise.
Speaker 2: I just told you I was hilarious.
Speaker 4: Note wasn't on the rawness.
Speaker 3: But also it's just the human side. There's a huge and this is it.
Speaker 4: Like, there's a human side to us and being whatever human, what women go through, that's normal to all women, that resonates, that's powerful, that's.
Speaker 3: In a way more powerful than what we do.
Speaker 2: Do you agree with that? What about for you?
Speaker 1: What surprised you when you got to know Pip?
Speaker 2: Oh? Wow, exactly. So this episode's in ten.
Speaker 3: Parts to be continued.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess I was just so impressed by her creative mind and she comes from a corporate background. That surprised me because I always thought you'd been in fashion. I thought your story was always fashion. But actually she was going to be a finance banking legal type and would have been a very different woman, and we would have had a very different.
Speaker 3: Way, would have had a very different conversation, had a.
Speaker 2: Very different conversation. But she'd had such a long time in the fashion industry and then branched out into p Nation, which was an enormous risk. That's such an incredible success story. And Pip's always come across as somebody so zen, so relaxed, so kind of out there. Yet she is dearly has to be to achieve.
Speaker 3: Like I say, I want to talk over you. Sorry, but I will, but.
Speaker 4: Next no, but not many women really fiercely look at other women in that way or what they do. And to have a woman like Julie Bishop recognize or acknowledge and like uplift.
Speaker 3: I like, you know, it's you could cry about it because I can tell you now it's.
Speaker 4: About the wild It's the wild West out there, you know, it's the wild West.
Speaker 2: Pip's resilience and that became apparent to me over the years. That was an apparent that night. But you know, when I was talking about your achievements, I was so proud of you as to what you'd achieved. But over time we've got to know each other, the vulnerabilities, the soft side. Perhaps the first we've been overseas together, we were in London, had a great time in London. When you when you're traveling, that's different.
Speaker 4: I mean, I was so lucky to go when we were in London at the same time and I was able to be her plus one.
Speaker 2: To the Design were the Design Museum, Jean Sherman had this amazing conference on design, architecture, fashion and I was over there speaking on the politics of fashion, and my plus one came with me to an evening.
Speaker 3: Actually what are we wearing and how's this?
Speaker 2: So we walk we walk into this event at the Design Museum in London and everybody who's anybody in fashion, design architecture in London is there.
Speaker 3: There was no way I was getting an invite to that. No, no, no way.
Speaker 2: So I dragged my girlfriend. Anyway, I walk in and immediately this woman walks up and goes, oh my god, it's pipe in Australia. And I'm standing there go yeah, she's with me. But the woman, I was so proud of you. Yeah that's my girl.
Speaker 3: This is it right, but this is it and it's always like it's just But.
Speaker 2: You know, another thing about that night, I mean it was at a time when I don't think you were getting due recognition in Australia at that moment. You were getting it overseas, and I thought isn't that typical An Australian woman comes overseas and she silences the room because they were going, oh my god, Peter Edwards is here, and at that moment in Australia, there were some negative vibes in your life. So I'm really glad that we caught up in London. It was fantastic. I've got very cute pictures of us, of us.
Speaker 3: Julie's an amazing woman.
Speaker 1: Talks a little bit about some of those shared values and interest that I suppose spark the friendship. There's no formula to friendship, but I've been thinking about it a lot. I mean, obviously I think everyone does for friendship, but also ahead of this conversation, and sometimes it's finding those things that you have in common and then also discovering the differences and how those differences then might shape one another over time.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm going to say that what I've discovered is that we have very similar scenarios that go on behind the scenes, and we.
Speaker 2: There's almost a rhythm to it.
Speaker 3: We're actually could that work quite parallel.
Speaker 2: We obviously have aligned interests. I mean, we love fashion, We're interested in fitness. You're good at it, I love it run I can't run. So you know, we've got interest in fitness, fashion, current affairs, what's happening.
Speaker 3: You know, all of that keeps me current in politics.
Speaker 2: When I'm saying, what label is that you don't know that we label?
Speaker 3: Yes? I do, yes, I do not know what charkamas is.
Speaker 4: And then she's like, then she's telling me something that someone's just been appointed as something, And I'm like, what.
Speaker 2: So reinforcing our content?
Speaker 1: Have you become a bit more interested Pip in politics, world events?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: Be I do?
Speaker 3: I just think them.
Speaker 4: Well, I just think I'm in such a bubble. And it's not like, you know, intentional, just I'm in this bubble. Like even today She's like so and and I'm like, oh my god, I need to remember that the world is actually bigger than the bubble.
Speaker 2: What I love about Pip's life and her work is her marketing and branding intuition. She's good. And when I'm running around in my pe nation, I think I wonder what she's going to wear, you know, what she's going to be designing next year, Because you're always ahead of the curve. And we talk about that in the fashion sense, but that's also manifested so many other ways. Pip's always thinking over the horizon in a lot of ways.
Speaker 3: But this challenging the other thing as well.
Speaker 4: Oh god, were just this is just a big love in sessioning.
Speaker 3: Okay, what's amazing.
Speaker 4: I think where the synchronicity and synergy is that we we where our mind our mindsets are the same, and we operate the same, so we can actually multitup. We're always we can be in a room or we can be talking, but we know exactly. We just know what's going on and we can read the play as well.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, while everyone thinks we're on it, well thinks we're all on my phone, we know exactly what's going we're on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let me ask because a lot of people will be listening and wondering about the logistics. You've talked about being in London together, meeting at events. How else do you interact because obviously you I mean you're based in different parts of.
Speaker 4: Things to text message phones like all of it. Text messages a lot.
Speaker 2: There will be, but there'll be a text at the right time. This is the whole point. I don't have to connect with Pip every day. We drive each other crazy. But when something's happening, and I know it's happening in a life, I'll just send them text to you, okay, vibe and that's that's just enough, and you'll come back, come back with either a screen four or yeah I'm fine, and so check in. It's just to check it. Do you remember. But when we caught up after COVID, I mean it was hysterical and oh my godness, if I I've just seen strangle me though, it's.
Speaker 4: Like it's quite a thing of hers likes to get me in.
Speaker 1: A head, very strong actually, so you know that that would be a fierce hug.
Speaker 2: I bet on you.
Speaker 1: Do you run or walk together because of this?
Speaker 3: I would.
Speaker 2: She's a pilates, I'm a yogi and a runner, so you know I.
Speaker 3: Would never be running with her. Have you seen that run? She runs every day? I don't. I don't. Yeah, no, no running here.
Speaker 1: So you don't really talk about politics, which is something that or do you don't not?
Speaker 2: I mean, if there's something happening, I'll download and we'll tell what's going through my mind and how crazy is this? But we talk about lots of things. We talk about our lives, what we're doing family work work.
Speaker 1: Yeah again, when I was thinking about the formula of a friendship and some of the closest friendships in my life, I don't know if you would both agree. I often think also that moment where you first have a disagreement or maybe maybe not an argument, or there's just something. And I'll tell you why. I think that can be an important obstacle or road bump or development in a friendship is because then you get over it and so you know you've been not not tested might be too strong a word for it, but you know that there's Oh, actually, this.
Speaker 2: Cannot imagine us disagreeing, and you.
Speaker 4: Know what, I think we're too there's so much humor. Sometimes I think I could I might joke on her too far. It might go you know, it could be go not no, like you don't want to be too rude.
Speaker 2: I'll remind you of that.
Speaker 4: Yeah no, but I know you know, like you can maybe like, well, you don't you don't It was like today, I don't know.
Speaker 2: If you don't know everybody's you don't know your vulnerability. There might be something that that is a you know, a very sore point and you would know it. But she never maliciously, and I would never willingly hurt people say anything that would hurt her upset her. So I just don't see that I heard stop talking. Oh yeah, I mean as if you're the first person who ever say that to me. Everyone told me to stop talking. You just joined the queue. I didn't get the stair, though, you know, I reserve that for special occasions.
Speaker 1: I've never had that Oh I'm sitting here breaks.
Speaker 2: Oh are you ask the wrong question and you'll get the stair? Believe me?
Speaker 3: Well, I want to say it.
Speaker 2: Can you ask the wrong question? You can't turn it on and off like that heat seeking missile that you turn on for guys. No, no, no, it just happens.
Speaker 1: I wanted to ask you about that competing aspect because you did mention that early on. And there is a lot of discussion in the wider culture about women being pitted against each other. We've all heard countless sometimes women but mainly men, say oh, women are their own worst enemies. It's been something that I've talked to a lot of particularly women in media about on the podcast over the last year, who've called BS on it. But of course it does happen. So can I ask you individually, Julie, do you think we're getting better in how women treat each other, how the culture treats female friendship, female peers. Because you've often been the only woman in the room a lot of the time, and so you're obviously cast against a lot of other women, do you think it's getting better? And obviously it's a really cool pillar of your friendship. Is it something that you're seeing replicated in other relationships associations in your life.
Speaker 2: I believe we have a long way to go. Society has a long way to go. Of course, my political career was in very much a male dominated scenario environment. But whenever I did come up against another woman, it would be labeled as a cat fight.
Speaker 3: A cat fight.
Speaker 2: So if I were having a debate with a man, that'd say, oh, she's screeching, But as soon as two women were having a debate, it would be labeled a catfight. And I found that really disappointing. I don't think that's changed much. I also think that women's friendships are misunderstood, although I do love some of the some of the stories that have been coming up recently, you know, people like Jane Fonda saying it doesn't matter about all the men in her life. It's the women that count. It's her girlfriend's that count, and so there's perhaps a deep appreciation.
Speaker 4: I think there's a content, maybe more of a consciousness of that of caring more. But I do think the landscape is still you know, sometimes you know, you want the general vibe I fulfill sometimes is like everyone wants you to do well, but maybe not better than them, do you know?
Speaker 2: That's like, so.
Speaker 1: That's scarcity of mindsettled.
Speaker 3: Little yeah that wants you to everyone that. Yeah. I don't know how to explain that.
Speaker 2: It's Australian talk, poppy thing.
Speaker 3: Yes it's.
Speaker 2: Well, but you know, don't but don't go too far and be too good, and don't start believing in your own publicity, you know, anything like that. You're okay, but you're not fabulous, which is.
Speaker 1: Why it's clearly been so refreshing for the too.
Speaker 3: They're just.
Speaker 4: Have someone to hold the flag continually and do that. It's it's priceless and you know, and it's needed. She doesn't know how much how much she needed.
Speaker 2: But I think women are pitted against each other too often and they should just rise above it because at the end of the day. If another woman is not going to back you, who is you really think that you can rely on others. And I think girlfriends are so important for that reinforcing of your ability, your competence. You need somebody to reinforce it, and sure you find the right men to do it. But it's lovely hearing it from a girlfriend, isn't it. Women? Women need to be able to trust each other. So you know, they talk about the sisterhood. The sisterhood can be you know.
Speaker 4: What I'll say to trust though, it comes from really as a woman, knowing who you are. And I think Julie and I we know exactly who we are, so that's why we.
Speaker 1: Have that.
Speaker 2: We know nobody needs to tell me.
Speaker 4: So that's why there's no fear or there's none of this, there's none of that noise because I know exactly who I am.
Speaker 3: She knows exactly. I don't want to be her. She doesn't want to be me.
Speaker 2: I want to be I want to be you. Do you want I want? I definitely don't want to.
Speaker 4: I want to, yeah, But that's I think it's it's really when you get to a point of having that just the knowing of yourself and my bit more of self love that you can actually start to have real, real friendships.
Speaker 1: And when we come back, we'll speak with Pip and Julie about how they support each other through tough times, particularly when those tough times are splashed across the headlines. One of the shared experiences you have, which is very unique, is that you are both very high profile, and you know that there are people that are making assumptions about each of you. But then, as Julia you alluded to earlier, if Pitt was going through something difficult and you know that there's some I think you said, negativity coming to her, and obviously everyone on the public stage and in public love, well, everyone goes through that. But obviously everyone in public life has those moments knowing and having that shorthand between you, that thinking, God, something's happened here and everyone's got an opinion.
Speaker 2: I relate to the pressure that is sometimes applied to as a public figure. I understand it. I relate to it. I don't accept it because often it's unfair. Often it's completely erroneous some of the assumptions that are made. But I can relate to the pressure that she can be under. But I'm also very confident that she knows how to deal with it and is increasingly able to do so. In fact, there more pressure you're under, the better you perform. So often, and I remember there was a I don't know, a response that you put out at one stage to something. I thought, oh, you genius, that's perfect. You're really showing your strength. I was very proud of you. So I don't want to overstate it. But you know, we've both been through stages where the public spotlight is honest fairly or unfairly, and you feel I think.
Speaker 4: They forget, they forget that we're actually living.
Speaker 3: I just keep coming back to being human.
Speaker 2: You say, hello, I'm here.
Speaker 3: Actually I'm actually a mother.
Speaker 4: Sorry, I'm actually a mother that has has an adult pretty bunch, an adult child that is witnessing all of this crazy you know, this crazy path the wild West. I'll just keep calling it the wild West. And then, second of all, i'm a businesswoman. Third of all, i'm a daughter. Fourth of all, I'm a friend. And they're all human aspects. And then and then and then I'm Pip Edwards. So I just that's my reminder to people today.
Speaker 1: And does that support? Does that ever come then in you mentioned earlier, sometimes it might be just like thinking of you or settled. Does it ever come in the form of any more practical sport? I mean, I might get the stare here, Julie, but when you're talking about amazing comeback, I mean, I'm going to assume that that was about Newsagate last year, which was a massive story a year ago. And obviously Pitt found her self in what was the middle of the biggest story in the country at the time. And I would imagine, as a friend and someone that knows and loves her, you're thinking, Okay, that's not an easy situation.
Speaker 2: And then I think I was overseas and I sent a text saying I'm here here, babe. But I knew she was fine. I knew she was going to be strong and able to deal with this kind of thing. But the level of public scrutiny, I mean, the biggest story in Australia, please it was. I mean's just put it in context, people, and that's that can know that I'm waiting for that continues to astound me. It really does that that people's personal, private lives can make front page and even end up on the news. I mean, I just I just find that astounding. After twenty five years in the public eye as a politician and beyond, I am still astounded by what is deemed news.
Speaker 1: Pitt, What do you think about that? Because you made some quote great quotes recently where you were talking about how really to what Juliu was saying. You know, twenty five years in a career and you're still sometimes being defined in some sections of the media by the men that you've dated. It must infuriate you. And I assume also like.
Speaker 2: She should be defined as one of the most successful business women in Australia. That's what should define Yeah, I mean, I don't mean define in the sense, but if we're talking about an achievement, let's talk about.
Speaker 4: My achievement and my achievement as a single mother, raised a child, run a business. Yeah, stood on my own two fees, Like they're things to talk about. And that's what Julie talks about. And that's what our friendship's based about, you know, and that's what takes it away, that's what gives the relief from that here, and it's coming from a woman that is so I mean, like that is why this is so, this is so important for me.
Speaker 1: So Pip, can I put the same question to you then too, because obviously Julie's also found herself in the headlines because of a relationship breakdown. I've seen Julie trying to discuss big events of politics, and everyone's asking about that.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm a journalist. I'm not giving out.
Speaker 1: About other journalists obviously and part of the industry, but I also acknowledge that it's a very rarefied difficult experience for people that are in the middle of that.
Speaker 3: And here in lies our friendship. That's what I'm going to.
Speaker 2: Say, and how she responds and how I respond we relate to that.
Speaker 1: I wanted to ask you a little bit about chapters of your life and if you've had different people in your life in different seasons. So you know, I think again the path of friendship. There might be times where somebody moves away and that friendship is changed. It could be that somebody gets into a relationship and we've all had that friend you know, I never really see them again until maybe it breaks up and I'll call you again. And then, of course, Pip, you mentioned earlier first and foremost your mother, your son Justice, who's seventeen, I believe, and that can also be something that can be a roadblock in a lot of female friendships. And I think that can be because one person has a child and another person doesn't, and one of those people might feel, well, this friendship, you know, I'm sick of hearing about that, or I just think our lives have gone in different directions. Sometimes, you know, it might be someone's got younger children and you know, the friends got older children along. I'm kind of through that period of my life. It is still a little bit I find that women are sometimes pitted against each other with oh, you have children, you don't have children. It's something that I feel really strongly about calling out. You both probably know we have a policy at Stella where we don't ask women who we interview you ever planning to have children or if you have children, are you going to have more? Because I just hate that whole narrative of defining any woman, whatever her choices or not her choices. By the way, which is obviously something you've also talked about with fertility challenges. Can I ask about that for this friendship? Has it ever been a dynamic?
Speaker 2: Not at all. I'm a lot older than and yet yeah, well you think I got these lines through lack of sleep. It's age, baby, I'm older than Pitt. But that's never been an issue ever. We've never connected like we've never disconnected because of courage or because of your personal circumstances or mine. I've never it's actual viewed my life through the prism of having children or not having children. It's never been a thing for me. My girlfriends have children or don't have children. It's not a defining issue for me. Never has been. And so you know, I admire everything Pitt does in raising justice and having a son and doing what she does and running a business, and you know, I get all of that. But between us, no, it's not an issue. It's not something that I've ever felt any sense of tension in the least.
Speaker 4: Again, I mean, that's the thing that all those parts, you know, like I said, I'm a mother, but there's Plethod's a number of things that define you.
Speaker 3: And then but at the end of the day, I'm me and that's.
Speaker 2: What and I like her. So I don't have all the parts. I don't have to compartmentalize it.
Speaker 3: All just's and that's that exactly.
Speaker 2: It's all, just the whole. That's who she is. This is who I am.
Speaker 1: Pip. You went public in Stella March of last year. Going back to the white shirt campaign. We were talking about where, which is where you first spoke about the fact that you had been experiencing early menopause. Was a massive story, headlines everywhere. I know a lot of other media routelets have spoken to about it in the almost year since then. Were you surprised by that reaction?
Speaker 3: Wasn't. I wasn't. I was in that it did get like there was a lot of it.
Speaker 4: I didn't realize actually what I was saying and how powerful it was for other women. And I've had so many women say to me, thank you that you're you were able to be so vulnerable about it, and that made me really sad.
Speaker 3: But that made me.
Speaker 4: Really sad it's really raw, but that it's really sad that women aren't talking about these things. So I was like, no, it does need to be talked about. And I think I'm really happy that I was able to tell the truth rather than I was hiding behind trying to keep it together in all fronts when actually I haven't slept.
Speaker 3: I'm sweating my ass off.
Speaker 2: It's like I'm you're unleashed. It's such a national conversation. Yeah, it's amazing.
Speaker 4: No, and there's there's more conversation to that too. You know everywhere it's it's it's still yeah. Why is it still taboo?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: And it's always taboo until somebody breaks the Yeah, Julie, you have obviously been an advocate of a wide range of issues, I mean too many to even talk about here, including those women's health. Because also a supporter of the white Shirt campaign of course your well, this is an observation. Your way of talking about issues is probably more in keeping with your background as a lawyer foreign minister.
Speaker 2: Probably more through a policy sense. When I became connected to the Overian Cancer Research Foundation, it was very much about the policy responses of government or lack thereof, in relation to support for Iverian cancer. So I was probably approached to be more of an advocate for more funding for research through governments. But in actual fact it triggered something in me because my two older sisters had both when they were much younger, way younger, had both had issues with what we thought was OVERI in cancer. They both had ovarian tumors at different times in their life, but it was very, very coincidental that they both had an ovarian tumor that had to be removed. Was no varian cancer, so I had this sense of connection with it. Thankfully, I've not had any ovarian tumors or cancer, but there was just a sense that there are people very close to me that could have been in this situation. It was so close, and so I embraced it from a personal perspective as much as a political policy perspective. And that's why I'm still there and why you know, when fabulous people like Pep do the white shirt again, Yeah, we'll do it again. I'm more than happy to give my time and energy to those sorts of those sorts of causes. And women's health is so important. We are a lot better at talking about it and supporting it and researching it. But as Pip says, there are still some taboo subjects and no go areas, and women should feel the freedom to talk about what's actually happening to them.
Speaker 4: It's more a trajectory talking to them at a younger age about the trajectory of your future.
Speaker 1: And that's part of what you spoke at the time, which was that there were just things that you didn't think about, like.
Speaker 4: Not in your twenties, Like that's the education that she'd happened in your twenties, about what's going to happen in your thirties, what's going to happen in your forties?
Speaker 2: Mind you at that age, I'd look at I'd look at a woman my age.
Speaker 3: God is she still put a patch on every couple of hours? Like what are you doing?
Speaker 2: Mad about it?
Speaker 4: But she didn't talk about it. Yeah, I watched her do it. That's right, I watched her do it. She did not tell me.
Speaker 1: You didn't know about selling like I.
Speaker 3: Knew it was like a patch for something.
Speaker 1: You had no reference point when you got that mind, you would be very fearful if we were told everything in advance.
Speaker 2: I do I really need? Do I to look forward to? That? Like?
Speaker 3: Too much information?
Speaker 1: Well, and Julie, you were also on the cover of Stella last year and broke the internet at the Oh do you remember no pads in heart yet?
Speaker 2: Correct about that today, because I mean ridiculous. It was a it was it was a laser, it was a long jacket.
Speaker 3: But also it's a trend and it was a style. I mean aig.
Speaker 2: It's a kind of Jenna was wearing it on the red pipet, except it was a sea through one.
Speaker 4: I've got pins like jewel stop it.
Speaker 2: But it was it was funny, wasn't it made me last years? It's funny how you can put things in perspective these days. Years and years ago, there were certain things that the media would say or do, and it would I would take it so personally I would be so upset. Now I laugh, I really do. Oh my god, Julie Bishop shocks by wearing a blazer with no pants, come on over and we're worry about where my pants are.
Speaker 1: It was it was really you have to laugh.
Speaker 2: I know it is funny.
Speaker 1: Well, it's easy for me to say it was funny. I mean, obviously you also feel a big sense of responsibil But it's interesting because I think sometimes people assume that this narrative doesn't happen anymore. You know, we can wear whatever they like and we don't have that. It's like, I'm not in the world that you try publishing.
Speaker 2: It's when you take a risk that people aren't expecting, don't know about it because I did a similar thing at Derby Day where I wore a very translucent skirt and I was told I was wearing no pants, and I was like, pretty sure, mew mew, mew mew.
Speaker 3: But such everyone sends underwear down the runway like it's a look. But to the masses, then then probably haven't caught up on the trend.
Speaker 2: That's exactly people.
Speaker 4: So I figure it's an education, right, that's educated absolutely well.
Speaker 1: I mean, we clearly love a cover at Stellar where people aren't wearing pants. You are both wearing pants on the cover of.
Speaker 3: Can confirm we're wearing pants.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you a little bit about doing the cover together.
Speaker 2: How was it? It was different. I haven't done a double act like this before, and I've had photos taken with one other person from time to diamond, two of us doing it was an interesting dynamic. As soon as it felt right, I knew it was right, you know, like when we were sort of that was saying, now stand back to back. So we're standing back to back and I'm saying your bum's higher than mine, that's not fair, and all.
Speaker 3: This very we're very arranging, very aware.
Speaker 2: We're rearranging ourselves, and so it was, yes, we've both done a lot of photo shoots, but doing one together brings in a completely different dynamic, doesn't it because suddenly looking at two bodies.
Speaker 4: But sometimes you can be a bit you know, house it is going to look it's actually when you just yeah.
Speaker 1: Yes, And I think that's what the photos convey. It's just like there's a really relaxed diamic energy.
Speaker 2: Well, we were talking all the way through. That's the other thing. When you're standing there up on a shoot on your own, you're generally not talking to yourself, but I was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just actually it went like that.
Speaker 2: It was actually talking all the time, going to each other's shoot. Yeah, that's an idea.
Speaker 1: What do you think the reaction will be? Will people be surprised to know about this strange erpoment? I imagine that they will.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I think initially they might be like what. But I think if you know or feel or see or hear, you get it. Yeah, you know, I think it'll be like, oh, it makes sense.
Speaker 2: And I think a lot of sense there, we understand it, just because nobody else. No, I think a lot of women out there will be there. Yeah, I've got a girlfriend like that. I do have a friend like that, and I should, I should trust value that friendship.
Speaker 4: I hope it inspires other women in influence to support to support other women of influence.
Speaker 2: And you know, love each other and show that you can be supportive and it doesn't matter where what you do. Sure, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: We'll take a break now and when we come back, we'll find out what's next for Pip and Julie. I wanted to ask you both about the biggest changes that you've maybe observed in one another's life. So have you seen, you know, career changes and how that's impacted the person thought that more relaxed or well, whatever it is.
Speaker 4: I think I think it's great that Julie's I mean, it's funny.
Speaker 3: I think it's great that well, I want to.
Speaker 4: Say, I wish you were back there. Sorry, I mean that's what I want to say.
Speaker 3: I don't know if that's out of line.
Speaker 4: I think Julie is one of the most fabulous women and we need her so.
Speaker 2: I mean, sorry, I'm in my food career. You know.
Speaker 3: She's done. She's done. Sorry.
Speaker 2: My observations of Pip is she's so much more grounded. The more successful her business is, the more confident and grounded she appears. And I don't think anything could phase you now, whereas a few years ago you were you were sure you were getting there, but there were some things that could knock you off course. Not now. I think you're exceedingly grounded and self confident, which is a very attractive quality in a woman.
Speaker 1: I wanted to ask you again, both of you, how do you think is a way that the other has changed you? So, Pip is there's something about your friendship with Julie that you can see. There might be a few different things, but you can see. Yes, I think knowing Julie, I think my friendship has has created that change.
Speaker 4: It validates a lot of some of the you know, tiger war in my head about things that I can't understand.
Speaker 3: She validates me, She validates me, and I'm like, I've got I've got this. I can you know, like right the storm, Yeah right? And in fact drive it.
Speaker 2: That resilience he talked about Julie, Yeah, it's powerful and I really admire it.
Speaker 3: And that's the thing, you know, for me, it's just.
Speaker 2: It's really special to make friends with somebody from outside your immediate circle, from outside your particular industry or sectoral or life experience and yet disconnect. It's really special, and that's what I love about Pitt. We come from very different perspectives, yet we align in so many ways, and it's just kind of reassuring that you as a person can make those connections and feel immediately at ease. And that's a political creation. You. You are always on edge because you're always in the public eye, and it's a relief. It's quite liberating not to be so. But you know, there was a while there when I had a senior position in government and I was never off. I was always on in that I was always aware that what I was saying or doing, or a face I pulled or some whatever could make news or commentary. And everyone's a photojournalist now and everybody with a mobile phone can catch you doing anything.
Speaker 3: Everyone knows what feels like.
Speaker 2: It's constant.
Speaker 3: It's constant.
Speaker 2: But around people, I don't have to worry about that.
Speaker 3: But around Julie, I might take.
Speaker 2: A photo of you right now and just put it up on Instagram about Julie.
Speaker 4: To have someone that knows what that feels like, it is really important because you can't explain that to anyone.
Speaker 3: Anyone thinks zero.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you start talking about there's so much pid, you're paranoid.
Speaker 3: Actually you're not. We're not paranoid. And it actually happens.
Speaker 2: You know, we've seen it. We know that it does happen. You're walking through an airport and you suddenly you just get that feeling that there's a photographer behind a rubbish bin.
Speaker 4: You don't know you said that, that just happened the other way.
Speaker 2: I remember I remember being down down at the beach once and there was a photographer in a bush and there what are you doing?
Speaker 4: There was a pat behind a garbage beer the other day.
Speaker 3: I was like, really, is that where we're at.
Speaker 1: Do you do in that situation?
Speaker 2: Did you call them out? What are you doing?
Speaker 3: What are you doing in a garbage bin?
Speaker 2: I mean, what photographer anyway hiding behind a dirty, old garbage bin just to get the shot.
Speaker 3: It's really nice for Julie to just normalize.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to normalize.
Speaker 3: We don't want to not know, we don't want to normalize it. But it's just you're you're you're not.
Speaker 1: But it's been the difference between you being able to navigate that as individuals and completely.
Speaker 2: But it's also comparing experiences and laughing ourselves sick that at the time it makes that time they might have been distressing, but when you laugh about it after was with somebody who's been through it, gets it, understands you know you, it just lightens the whole as you respect there too. Sure.
Speaker 1: Well, final question, this is only our second cover of Stella for.
Speaker 2: The year and.
Speaker 1: Something to talk about, so we have got twenty twenty four way ahead of us. Obvious question, but to be cliche, would be what do you hope for this year? For yourself? But if I can just also ask you, in the spirit of friendship today, what would you hope for one another?
Speaker 4: It's going to be our best year. It just will love that, it just will be totally. I feel like, you know, there's been you know, some growing pains and some challenges, and I.
Speaker 2: Think everyone coming out of COVID there's a whole new positivity and I know you're going to do some great things. I'm really excited the things in the pipeline for both of us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think we just we just go for it.
Speaker 2: I'm really looking forward to twenty twenty four and I'm looking forward to supporting women who are doing great things, realizing they'res and pursuing their aspirations. That includes well, that.
Speaker 1: Is I think probably the perfect note on which to end our conversation. And here's too, hopefully less men hiding behind Garby. I hope you enjoyed that episode of the summer series or something to talk about. Make sure you're following us if you're not already, because we'll be revisiting some of your favorite episodes of the past year until we're back with the brand new episode on January twelfth.