Speaker 1: Oh good ay, thank you for joining us on the Body and Soul podcast Got Healthy Ish. I am Felicity Halle. I am joined today from New York City by a pt to the Stars. He has trained the likes of J Low and fifty cent. His name is Jay Cardelio and he is here to discuss his four pillars of fitness. Why he prioritizes sleep before fitness, I know, controversial and shares the most inspiring celebrity he has ever trained. If you do like what you hear from Jay, listening to the full interview on Extra Healthy Ish, where he gives one of the most motivational speeches I have heard in a long time in crab that wherever you get your podcasts. Jay, thank you for well joining us from New York City, very late at night.
Speaker 2: Nice to have you on the podcast.
Speaker 3: Well, it's an honor, Felistening. Thank you so much much for having me. Now.
Speaker 2: You recently had a starring role on the front of our print.
Speaker 1: Edition at Body and Soul and shared your four pillars of fitness now very interestingly and I know You've been asked this before, but I need to know sleep, stress, nutrition and physicality as an expert.
Speaker 2: Why the fitness bit. Last.
Speaker 3: Sure, it's quite interesting when I mentioned that to a lot of people. If you really want to think about it, fitness is the last part of wellness. We really have to focus on a couple things. First we focus on sleep. Sleep sets a tone for the entire day. Just think about it. If you don't get a lot of sleep, you're not going to say, hey, I wanted to rugule a salad with tomatoes and good dressing. You're going to say, I want at cheeseburger with soda. So sleep is the most imperative thing. It sets the whole tone for the body. Then we talk about stress because you're dealing with that. If you don't get enough sleep, you're going to have a lot of stress on your plate. So sleep stress. And then the next is nutrition. If sleep and stress are not in order, it's very hard for a person to say, hey, I want to make great choices when it comes to nutrition. And the last and people are like the last, but you're a fitness guy, Yeah, the last is fitness because what a lot of times happens is we jump into fitness. It's January fifteenth. The majority it's actually statistically a show ninety five percent of people who start New Year's resolutions with fitness quit by the fifteenth of January because they don't focus on the other three things. First, you need to focus on sleep, You need to focus on stress, nutrition, and then fitness.
Speaker 2: Now it's it's ironic.
Speaker 1: I'm interviewing you, and it's what is it nine point thirty or ten o'clock in New York? How do you go when you've had a well, a bit of a rough night sleep, I mean the next day with your fitness habits, your four pillars.
Speaker 3: That's a great question. There are a lot of times you I have a twelve year old son, so sometimes I'm up with him or whatever. You know, we're doing stuff, or you know, you live in a city. It's very noisy. Some days you don't get great sleep, and it's okay. But what I do is I focus on other things around me. I focus on water, I focus on nutrition. I focus on keeping my stress levels low. And if I don't get enough sleep, I actually I have a rule for myself. If I get under five and a half hours of sleep, I don't work out the next day. I focus more on meditation. I may do some yoga, I may do some prayer, but I always have that rule out five and a half hours no fitness the next day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's interesting.
Speaker 1: Actually, I've recently got a wopband and this is not an advertisement for work, but that has really helped me will regulate more my slate versus my exercise and when I need to build strain and when I need to rest my body. Because it's a bit of a trap. Sometimes you just want to you do get into the well. I just want to work out because I know it's going to make me feel better after a bad night's sleep. But it's it's kind of this well I have like this feedback in my head that I'm always I'm always struggling up against.
Speaker 3: Yes, I can understand that, and that's what happens a lot of times. People say, hey, listen, I gotta work out, And I understand that if you don't invest in sleep. Sleep is the most imperative and it's the number one most important thing when it comes to wellness. You have to focus on sleep, and we don't sleep regularly enough and we don't get enough in a sense, even if you want to take a ten minute nap during the day, you know, I take naps during the day. But what a ten minute, fifteen minute power nap does? Me? Agree, But I always tell people it's sleep first. Forget the fitness. If you're not getting your rest, you can't invest in the gym.
Speaker 1: The other interesting thing about you and what you've done in your career is that you've worked obviously with celebrities. That's interesting, but these celebrities have ranged from twenties, thirties, forties, fifties. How do you and you've had success, congratulations, how do you tailor your approach to different age groups? Because say someone in their twenties versus someone in their forties who is juggling three kids and might not get enough slate, where someone in their twenties might have get the full whole eight hours. I'm very envious of favoring in their twenties having three kids with they might get eight hours of uninterrupted slate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's interesting. So I used to live with clients for extended period of time. I actually lived with fifty cent when I was training him for four years. I trained him for fifteen years. And whenever I start working with a client, whether it's a someone who's in the entertainment industry or an athlete or someone who's not the entertainment industry and not an athlete. I always focus on sleep first, and we work on that and we do things like chromotherapy, and people are like, what's that? Did you know? Actually, Felicity, sleeping with green sheets actually makes you have a better nighttime sleep. What red? No? Yes, Red, yellow, and orange increase intensity, energy, power, and strength. So people who have red, yellow, and orange sheets, you're going to get excitement. It's not going to be really the best color for you to sleep. And so people are like, wow, how did you learn about this? All this? I actually studied on it because I always feel that I'm the person I want to go through things with first test it out on myself and then implement into my client tele So when I had my surgeries and backsturgers and all that along the line, I started focusing on sleep heavily, wrote up a little pamphlet from it, and then I just hand that booklet to my client talents and we go through at each page by page. Here's what we're going to focus on first with sleep, Here's we're going to focus on next with stress. Then comes to nutrition and then the fitness and a lot of people are like, wait, I got to get in shape in thirty days for a movie roles. And I'm like, wait, you're not sleeping. You're not going to get in shape, nor are you going to have the tenacity or the power to learn your role and to be the best character role you can.
Speaker 1: So say, did you have to get a celebrity in shape within four weeks? I mean, how long do you focus on the sleep account? Is that a week's worth of the four weeks? Or where does the fitness come in? If they have to say bulke out for Chris Hemsworth tit role.
Speaker 3: That's that's great. So what I do is I whenever I'm brought in so I'm contracted or retained like a like an attorney's yeah, So whenever whenever I get my contract, I sit down with the client first and I let them know where I come from. We're going to focus on sleep, We're going to focus on stress, we're going to focus on nutrition, and then we're going to focus on your fitness. And they and they understand it. It may take some time to explain it, but when you when you give the example, and I always tell people when you were in high school or college, and you stayed up late, yes, to study for a test, but did you have the strength and the energy the next day to do anything else? And they're like no, And I say, well, think about that compounding effect of not getting enough sleep what that does to your body. And then the client starts to understand, Hey, wait, I do have to focus on sleep because that's going to increase my gains. I do have to focus on sleep because it has been shown medically and scientifically that it's going to back everything that you do in the gym, with the nutrition and everything with your stress. So that's why we focus on sleep first.
Speaker 1: Now you have to spill the beans. Do you have a favorite celebrity you've worked with?
Speaker 3: That's a great question. I have a favorite client that I worked with.
Speaker 2: Okay, who is that.
Speaker 3: I once was hired by a mom to teach a five year old kid how to ride a bike because his dad was not around. His dad was not around, And I always tell people this. You know, we're all celebrities. It's not just who you turn on the TV to watch or who do you go to the movie to see. It's just that we don't celebrate life enough. So I just wanted I always tell people we're all celebrities. We just don't sell we celebrate a holiday or a birthday. We should be celebrating ourselves each and every day because we are so important. And that's one thing we have to understand. So when you ask me that question about who's my favorite client er, who I've worked with that i've really I think about this child because for the rest of his life, he's going to remember that I taught him how to ride a bike and he's going to pass that on to his child. Now, a celebrity is going to not remember me in five to ten years. They're not going to remember my name, you know, they'll go and have ten other trainers or whatever. That child is going to have an impression made by what I did for him for the rest of his life, and that means the world to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well said, well answered, And I was dodging the question as well. Now before we go, tell us what about to come to Australia. What's going on with a what's going on?
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm so excited. In May of twenty twenty five, Kylo is hosting the summit and it's going to be an Oh my gosh, it's going to be such an amazing fitness, health and wellness event. We're going to have various speakers. I'm going to be speaking there, We're going to have You're going to eat a tremendous amount of great food, get tremendous amount great information, meet some amazing people. So it's going to be one great fitness expression of the world. It's just going to be amazing.
Speaker 2: Well. We look forward to seeing you down here.
Speaker 3: Jay.
Speaker 2: Thank you for joining us on Healthy Ish.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Well sleep it is really the most important thing when it comes to health and wellness because everything else goes out the window, fitness, nutrition, mood.
Speaker 2: When you just don't have enough sleep.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we'll leave links to all of Jay's things that he talked about in the show notes. If you did enjoy the chat, tell us rate and review this episode, subscribe to this podcast. Any ideas for upcoming episodes before Christmas? DM me at Felicity Harley on social media of course, follow Body and Soul on social media, Grab our print edition which is out your local Sunday paper. Anything else, Bodyansoul dot com dot u is the place to go. Thanks again for listening and stay healthy Ish