Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to The Australian's Money Puzzle podcast. I'm James Kirby, the Weather editor at The Australian. Welcome aboard, everybody. I expect you're more than aware just how good share market investing is right now. Our share market, folks. Even the ASX is up eleven percent in over the last twelve months. Dividends to that there's fifteen percent in the bag. The US market is steaming along. It's up twenty four percent in the last twelve months. And more than that, there are so many signs that this market has got the ideal conditions to keep going. On a broad basis, there's always things you can worry about, and you can always worry. I can tell you about a slump or a surprise setback or a correction in the September or October period when the Americans get wobbly every year as they face Christmas. Winter is coming. You've seen Game of Thrones, you know what it means, same thing in the share market. Now, on top of all that, we've got Donald Trump, who you know. I think we might as well take it as read this morning that the markets at least think he's going to be re elected, and there's like a sixty to sixty seven percent probability in the money markets right now, but that he will be re elected. That means a Republican administration, that means pro business administration, and that means a big lift in stocks. Traditionally, you know Trump first time round, from the day he was elected to when COVID arrived the US market went up sixty percent or so, people will be thinking that there's a good chance that will happen again. So I want to talk about chairs today, and just before I start, by the way, one or two pieces of correspondence about when I talk about chairs, and do I have a conflict of interest, et cetera. I mean I have an SMSF and of course I want to invest. I have all the things that you have in terms of shares, just to clear the air in terms of ordinary shares. This isn't ETF re funds in my portfolio I have. I try to keep it to ten always. Just now, these are the ten shares I have. I am not going to give you wastings aroundthing, but here they are. Are you ready? Come on with bank CSL Hansen technology a quarry bank. Quarry technology NAB, Next, DC, Cube, Ramsey and Reo. Some of them I've had for twenty years. Some of them I've had four a year. My guest today is a regular on the show Friend of the Show. It's Jemma Dale, head of Investor Behavior and SMSF at NAB Trade. Oh are you, Gemma?
Speaker 2: I'm well, thank you? How are you?
Speaker 1: What do you think of my portfolio?
Speaker 2: That's the million dollar question, isn't it?
Speaker 1: Instinctive response?
Speaker 2: Probably my first question would be what else do you have?
Speaker 1: I'm not telling you what else I have? Oh, I have ECF, since I have some active fun and I have gold, and I feel I like to think my SMSF is very well diversified. I mean, I'm obsessed with deir feresssification, and I do think it's very well diversified, though I find the share component constantly gets bigger than I meant it to for the simple reason shares have been so good for so long.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's quite interesting. I mean the most interesting thing about that is we focus on the individual stocks because you can see their performance. It's very hard to get excited about the performance of your ETFs, to be honest, and some of the very well diversified components of your portfolio, even though they're going to be thousands of securities by the time you add them all, lot would be my guess, and so you've probably got exposure to thousands of things, and yet you look at the ten that you can definitely put a number on and worry about those. And we're all the same. We all do it very You've got a lot of banks in there, but you're doing very well out of them, so certainly can't complain at the moment.
Speaker 1: There's no dogs in there. There's one dog. Let me call it out loud and clear. I wish I didn't have it. I'm stuck with it, and I should have the guts to sell it. But then every time I look at it, I say, maybe it's coming round, which is Ramsey Healthcare. And there's one absolute ripper in there, which is next TOC, followed closely, I might add, by mcquari Technology, and both those docks are AI plays in my mind, though I have next TC for years, but to Mcquarie Technology relatively recently. Anyway, I'm just putting that out there, folks, just to clear the air, and because we're going to talk about shares today. Exclusively because I think it's a terrific market. Jem At tell me, first of all, because you see all the data and a trade and you see what's coming in and what people are doing. Do you detect any change in the flavor of shared trading, the volume of shared trading, the demographics of shared trading in this last few months as people are starting to realize, gee, the market's damn good for quite some time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so interesting. The last few years have been fascinating. I mean, we've talked about this before, but the well over half of our investor base has joined us since COVID, so the huge influx of new investors and new accounts for us. But new investors came through in that COVID period when the market fell off a cliff, so that thirty percent in three weeks dip on the ax and saw very similar responses from share markets around the world. Was when the vast majority of our new accounts were opened, and in the subsequent sort of twelve months, so people came to investing during that period and had this incredible opportunity to buy shares at a very discounted price, and then they rocketed back very quickly. So many of our investors have had a really interesting first experience. If you started training for the first time in nineteen ninety nine, you had a very different experience that somebody started in two thousand and A lot of people you know who have been around for a long time felt that was a normalist that period, but it was your first experience, it wasn't right. That's what share investing is for you now, and so those people are familiar with a pretty strong market. That's half of our investors. Those who've been around a long time tend to have much bigger portfolios. I've had a lot more time to build up their wealth. You mentioned you've got CBA and McCrory and CSL. They're the kind of shares that have made people a lot of money over the long term. You know, if you're buying those in the nineties, and a lot of our investors were, then you have done extremely well. Those people are moving money around but feeling reluctant to throw a lot of money at this market, which I find really interesting. So our cash book is very high at the moment. Newer and younger investors are mostly buying ETFs and just buying them consistently as a wealth creation strategy. That's a very common strategy now more and more people are doing it, and they're pretty agnostic as to mine market movements. They will buy more on a down day, which I find fascinating. So you think they're agnostic, but they're very aware of what is going on in the market, and they will absolutely buy more if the market gets hammered in the US overnight and futures are down, they will throw more into an ETF that day than they would if futures were really positive. But it's a long term strategy for them, and they tend to do it consistently. And then our more mature investors are a little bit anxious, right They're seeing CBA above one hundred and thirty dollars, They're seeing prices that feel quite stretched in some areas of their portfolios. And because those portfolios have been around a long time and tend to hold things they're very familiar with and know very well. Yeah, they're a little bit of nov I would guess, you know, they're not super keen to chase these prices.
Speaker 1: Right. Okay, let's take it on board. One of the things we were saying about, and I imagine our listeners are something broadly similar. Right, So they have the ETF so core and satellite, they have the maybe they only have ETFs, Maybe they have some ETFs, like I have to achieve certain things right to access the most of the offshore. As you notice, all those stocks are Australian an offshore. I'm using atfs and funds mostly. But when you look at the composition of the market, so people will say the thing, we're obsessed. Why do we talk about individual shares when ETFs are so important or they may be for our listeners because they're the swing factor. Right, that's the difference between having an ordinary year the same as everyone else, winning big or losing. And that's I think that that will never I don't know, but I don't think that will ever change. That will never go. The attraction of shares and the particular attraction of shares that they can do so well. And ETFs are fine, they're great, but you will never ever do any better than the norm.
Speaker 2: With an ETF. Yeah. Absolutely, really think to me, as I said, there is this very strong preference for ETFs, particularly in younger investors. And funnily enough, you talk about using ETFs for offshore. But our investors tend to start with the AX. And when I say tend to, I mean there is a dramatic difference between the number of investors and the amounts of money they put to the ASX two hundred. It is the first investment versus what is a long way down the list, which is the S and P five hundred. As this second option, it is a long way behind. So people start buying the ASEX first and then they diversified beyond that, which I find fascinating. And yeah, the appeal is really obvious, which for so many young people and so many people new to market, I don't know what to buy. That's always the biggest question. I don't know what to buy. ETF just takes that problem away for you. Right, just buy the whole market. You'll be fine. And as you say, then you don't have any opportunity to outperform. You're going to get the market minus the tiny feet. But you're gonna get market. That's great. It's better than enough, right, it's very good based on how performance has been over the last twelve months. There are many others who are looking for something much better than that, and they feel very strongly about making their own choices. Funnily enough, they tend to be more experienced investors. They're not young people, you know, willing to bet their shirts, right, it's quite the opposite. It's people who are very experienced. They know what they're doing, and they're absolutely going to try to get a better return than the market or and it was something I didn't ask you about your portfolio. They've got a very specific need. So a lot of our older investors invest for yields, and they are not looking for high growth. That's not what they're after. They're not going to take a punt on ZIP. They just want yield and that's what they're going to invest for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very true. The irony is that there would have been twice literally haven't met twice as much money if they had bought a US ETF rather the S and P if I found it, rather than the ear six year after year.
Speaker 2: Certainly, the last twenty years have been pretty astonishing for US equities.
Speaker 1: Twenty years was due Jemma.
Speaker 2: That will do it for the vast majority of people. For most of us, that is long enough as a timeframe. So yeah, absolutely, the US has been astonishingly strong in terms of its performance, and that has been the rise of tech. Right. It's very clear what drove that performance, and it's very clear when you look at the composition of the S and P five hundred, now what has driven that performance. There's a lot of people making comparisons to sort of the ninety nine two thousand era right now based on the hype around AI, but we haven't seen the pullback. We thought we saw it in twenty two, and it just came around again, right.
Speaker 1: Comes around again. The other thing is, yes, I know, nineteen ninety nine, sure you know, but maybe it's not nineteen ninety nine. Maybe it's nineteen ninety five. Yeah, and there's four fabulous years to go. I mean, I don't know, and I'm not going to Both of us have experienced enough that I'm not silly enough to ask you, do you know where the market's going? And I'm not going to puntificate as to where it's going. But a couple of things I do want to ask you when we sit there now as investors on the share market, so we look at that, we look at the return on the share market, and it's well above average, okay above average on historical figures. It's above average on recent figures. There is four percent inflation of course, okay, so really you know, you got to put that in If you say, oh my my shares did ten percent last year, it's great, Yeah they did, but it's four percent inflation, so you got to put that in mind. When there was no inflation, six percent would have been the same. That's one thing. And we have the dividends. The big dilemma I think for Australian investors is you mentioned about so many people who want yield and the older very broadly, the older you are, the more you want yield. It's as simple as that. And by the time you retire, it's all you want, right. I talked to someone the other day, very very well known financial journalist, and they are for the first time in their life, they're looking for advice because they're so confident in their own ability that they never thought of asking anybody as for advice before. But I said, well, what do you want? You know, what do you want? And this person simply said, I just want income. We hit his wife and just want income. And that's what happens when you get to a certain point, and that's fair enough, and you maybe do you think you lose your nerve as you get older as well in terms of investing.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's not necessarily you just don't need to take the risk anymore. You know, a young person is trying to build from nothing. You know, it's unless you've inherited some money or you happen to cross a windfall or something. You are taking any excess cashflow you've got from your job and trying to build something aggressively. You've got to build it fast, you know. When you're young, you've got to build it fast because you're coming off with such a low base, Whereas when you're older, it's about the preservation of what you have and you're far more to lose. And we know about sequencing risks, so for anyone who's not familiar with the concept, you understand it intuitively, but it's really there's a lot of academic work around it now. Sequencing risk is effectively when you are drawing down on your money. So say you have a million dollars to provide for your retirement and you're taking out fifty thousand dollars a year. If you suffer a massive downturn in the market in year one, and that million dollars turns into six hundred thousand dollars, which sounds dramatic, But this happened to a colleague of mine in two thousand and eight, two thousand and nine, he was back at work.
Speaker 1: It happened to everyone in two thousand and eight too. Then the market felt fifty percent of us never forget that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And he had a diversified portfolio, he'd taken a lot of care, he worked in finance and markets, he knew what he was doing, and he was back at work twelve months after retirement to rebuild. Because when you're pulling down fifty thousand dollars a year out of six hundred thousand, it runs out very quickly compared to pulling it out of a million that might be growing. So that sequencing risk, if you suffer an adverse event right at the beginning of your retirement, is very damaging to the long term outcome of your portfolio and your wealth frankly, and your lifestyle. So people, it makes sense to be anxious about losing a lot early in retirement in particular, And as you get older, does it matter so much? You're okay? The vast majority of older people I speak to and retired people they don't want to draw down on the capital at all, and retirement they want to preserve the whole lot and just live off the income. And that's where that desire for yield comes from. It's not a really chunky yield. And I don't want to think about drawing down on the capital. That's too much risk for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And that is I suppose in a way, it's the optimal it's the optimal situation. I think we should be careful. And we had actually awn on the show Very Interesting a few weeks ago about that whole issue about how you know, I mean, yes, you'd rather not draw down on capital, but similarly, you're not going to live for a thousand years, okay, there is a point of which you could safely actuarially make an esspence say okay, and as soon I live to one hundred and ten, you know, and then you can walk backwards from there. That would be I would imagine safe enough for most people even today with the longevity risk that we have. But on the market and where it's going. So we crossed the eight thousand mark on the ASX two hundred the other day, big number very important milestone, important to show that we are in blue sky, that the ASEX is really starting to move, and let's just put the US to one side just for the moment at this part of the show and talk about the ASEX. One other very big change occurred just around the same time that was happening, and that was that that our market is, as everyone knows very much based on two things, banks and minors and BHP had been the biggest stock in the market for years, and CBA on Monday morning this week, because I was going to do a story gem about how it was going to overtake BHP, and as I was doing it on Monday morning, I had it actually written, and I had it written in this way that said it's going to overtake. I had a about lunchtime, I looked again and the numbers had changed around and it had overtaken. So a bit of luck that I was able to say on the day, hey, CBA is after becoming the biggest stock. It happened before my eyes. But and I think this time around it is going to stay there. And I think it's stayed there before about four years ago, it was there for a year. And here we are again. What does that mean? Do you think that our biggest stock is a bank now and the banks are under the pinning our ASX now, not the miners.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's an interesting one, not least because I work for a bank.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but we talk about bank stocks as a generic.
Speaker 2: I'll talk about them generally, but it's worth calling out CBA. CBA is broadly understood to be the most expensive bank in the world based on share pricense valuation. That's an extraordinary thing. And it is a very high quality bank. You know, it doesn't carry the risk of US banks and a lot of the other alternatives out there in the world. It is very exposed to the Australian consumer through home loans. It's a very strong franchise and it continues to maintain this massive premium over the other Australian banks and over other global banks because over literally decades, it's continued to maintain its margins to an extent, you know, better than others, let's put it that way. It continues to have this very strong footprint and have the largest home loan share in the Australian market. The Australian homelan market continues to hold up despite constant predictions of fallen house prices. All of the things that are supposed to undermine the share price of CBA and the Australian banks just don't come to fruition. It doesn't mean they never will. It just means that it's called the win. Don't make a trade for a reason shorting the Australian banks. It has cost a lot of people a lot of money. We keep thinking that can't continue to grow at this right in terms of the share prices.
Speaker 1: And yet and it's really worth thinking about the folks. And it's not just because Jemma works for a bank. And by the way, I mean, I would think a lot more of her. There's no way that she would simply talk her book or anything like that. Because I've had her on the show lots of time.
Speaker 2: She didn't work for bank.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh no, no, but she doesn't talk her book. And anyway, here's the facts. It's very hard to find a buy notes. It's almost impossible to find a single stoff broker in the Australian stock market that would tell you to buy banks right now. There's there, there's holds and underweights and everything across the board. On all the banks and on CBA. And here's the thing. All those brokers are wrong, and they're wrong all year, and they're wrong month after a month. This is August. They're saying it since late last year. That doesn't mean, as Jemma says, they will be wrong in the future, But I tell you what, right now, they're wrong. So the point I'm making is that we have the banks now dominant on our market, and then we have the miners, and we have the usual suspects CSL and some of the biggest stocks. Macquarie Bank two also never forget in there very much, so now in the top ten, even though it's an investment bank and not typical and would have a lot more risk and a different nature of risk than what we might call high street banks, the big four that we all know. So, Jemy, what are your troops on n AB trade? What else are people buying? Because you know, one of the things that I always think about one of the great quotes about stock market investing is that it's you can look at a stock and you can have your opinion on us, and you could be very good mathematically. You could have it all worked out, and you might think that it's going to go up, and that's all fine, But actually what matters is whether other people think it's going to go up. That's what matters. Right. So I'm digging here and I'm trying to find out from you, what are your database are millions of investors? What are they looking at now? What are they like?
Speaker 2: It's always the best question. The one thing I found about working in this part of the industry so working with non advice. The people who trade via and a'm trade generally don't have a financial advisor. They're making their own decisions, non advised individuals managing their own money. Is it is amazing how astute people are when it's their own money on the line. They are not outsourcing this decision, and they tend to be very thoughtful about it. There's a lot of talk about how ignorant retail investors can be, and they refer to the dumb money. We just don't see that at all. You see quite the opposite, very thoughtful, very well considered investing. And the COVID period was the classic example where people went out and the top ten stocks were stuff your mum would tell you to buy. All big four banks were in there, all four of them. BHPM re overre in the AASX two hundred ETF was in there, right, that's what people bought during COVID. Every single one of those things has performed extremely strongly since, and it was an incredible opportunity. So to your question about what peop doing, they are all loaded to the eyeballs with banks. Right. Everyone has bought banks at various points over the last couple of decades, in some cases back in the nineties, and then they bought a ton more during COVID, which was a brilliant decision across the board. If you're buying three of the big four sort of sub sixteen dollars, you had a good time, and you know seventy dollars range for CBA. People have so many banks, right, and so they're not buying banks at the moment. This is not what they need. There's been a very dramatic rotation into materials, and that's been going on for about twelve months now.
Speaker 1: Explain broadly what materials are, because it's more than just miners, isn't.
Speaker 2: It it is? But to be honest with you, for our guys, it's mostly BHVAN round right. So I'm using a general term, but I'll be more specific. A lot of interest in BHP, a lot of interest in rio ford eskew has been our biggest trade for literally years, but that's a small handful of very wealthy traders who mostly trade it very actively, so it doesn't.
Speaker 1: And they're literally they're treating it off the in oor placed because it's a pure it's a pure connection.
Speaker 2: To pure plate, right. So it's a very straight line between what happened with the iron ore price what happens with the fortescue price. And if you're very onto that, you can make a lot of money, but you need to be very onto it. So we have people who do that that is very much that's their thing, and there's another group of investors who are very interested in Fortescue comes and goes from their portfolios as well. There was a brief liftier moment and there are people who kind of flirt with it again at the moment. But we just have seen this real shift back to materials from an investing perspective because people feel that perhaps everything's not fully priced yet, whereas they feel with financials they are, and then when they're looking to the broader market, there's sort of less that people are excited about, and we start to see more ETF investing in someone.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, I hope they're right about to miss you. I mean, the iron ore is the thing. I mean, you can have all all the interest in Nikola and Lithian that you like, but really, if the iron ore price things, folks, I'm sorry, the ship goes with it. Okay, we have to stop right there. We're going to take a break. When we come back, we're going to talk about the Trump trade, What would the election Trump mean, how important is the US to our market and what may be ahead in the rest of the year. Back in a moment, Hello, Welcome back to the Australians Money Puzzle podcast. James Kirby here with Jemma Dale from NAB Trade. So, Jemma, I thought the market was pretty looking pretty good. I thought the US markets were steaming along. Because I'm looking at it for forty years, I'm very aware that the September October period is our damn rocky period in global markets because of the US, and the US now represents Just to reiterate, folks, the US represent sense seventy percent of the global market just now. The Morgan Stanley Capital International Index. That's extraordinary. What happens in the US is of extreme importance to what happens to all markets, including ours. And if it rises, we will rise with it, and if it falls, we will fall with it. And so it really matters. And so we leads us to the question, if Trump wins with his pro business agenda, with his track record of lifting markets the last time, with his track record of pushing old industry, fossil fuels, oil coal, he's anti certainly anti environmental advocacy. He's not pro electric cars despite all the money Elon Musk wants to give him. He's going to dictate to a serious extent the nature of the market as it comes along. Used to be mixed on tech. But he now has JD Vance as he's running mate, as he's the VP who is big with Silicon Valley, backed by Peter Thiel, who I'm sure you will know who's behind Planter with that extraordinary preamble. It's tough, isn't it, Gym. I ask you what difference will trumpon make? Just tell us what do you think?
Speaker 2: It's fascinating, is it? There's so many questions that all market participants are trying to answer because the biggest question in markets for the last twelve months then when's the Fed going to cut?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: So question one was when do we cut? And that answer at the moment is September. Previously been six cuts in the year, that's what we were expecting. That's the market was pricing, and six cuts now the back to two they're expecting September. So it was always about rate cuts. And despite the market's extraordinary enthusiasm for cuts, historically, the Fed is cutting because the economy is falling off a cliff, and so those first cuts are quite positive for the market, and then after that it all looks very bleak, and so you actually you want to you can get out in front of the first couple, and then after that it really looks ugly. In terms of what Trump is going to do, it's fascinating. So the first question I think for a lot of investors what is going to happen with tax cuts at a corporate level. If we look at his first election win, there was a dramatic uplift in corporate profitability post Trump, and it was all tax cuts. Every dollar of it was tax cuts. That has some implications for an economy that is as heavily indebted or a government that's as heavily indebted as the US. So there's a lot of questions about the US dollar. There's a lot of questions about what happens with the treasury and the debt that is being carried currently and being raised regularly. It is it's quite extraordinary to try and unpick the range of things that are on the table currently. There's tariffs as well, and trade wars that may start again do we know about this? And obviously feeding into the Nasdaq at the moment, there is talk that Jamie Diamond may become the next set the Secretary of the Treasury. That is very appealing to a lot on Wall Street for a lot of reasons. I love that, but I think that would also come the market a bit because he's obviously not known to be a highly political character. He's known to be money guy. He knows what he's doing.
Speaker 1: But can I ask you between the lines? To me, it seems to me that you're saying, Okay, the definsits, et cetera. That's going to push up interest rate, it's going to push up inflation to the US. And we just put that to one side, but that would seem to be a natural consequence of his disposition and the American administration's disposition that we could expect under Trump advance. Here's the thing. Tell us, then, what the most interesting thing is about the US dollar? And I noticed more and more of this talk about d dollarization. Can you explain what the theory is about the US dollar, what could happen to it and what would it mean for us as Australian investors.
Speaker 2: This it's a really interesting one and it is getting more and more attention. Trump appears to be of the view that the US dollar is too strong and is the world's reserve currency and has been for a long time, and at current and historical levels it is too strong. And more to the point that everyone has been happily devaluing their currencies against the US, which allows them to export to the US and has, in his view and advances an interesting choice, hollowed out American industry, particularly manufacturing, that you can't produce goods in the US because they're too expensive to export. He mentioned tractors, which is quite interesting. So his view is when you've got a very strong dollar, you're hollowing out US manufacturing the sort of Middle America that votes for them, and to that extent, he does not want a strong US dollar. He would like the dollar to fall relative to other currencies, which would allow them to be far more competitive in export markets in manufacturing, but has hum implications for everybody else. And so it's interesting. I mean Australia, the US is not our number one you export market, and the things that we export are not easily substitutable. So your point about iron ore is a really good one. Right. You're not going to go and get your iron or from a waterbup places. There are alternatives, and most of it goes to China. Then the question becomes, if China can't export to the US, do that have implications for Australia When you look at a company like CSL where their earnings are pricing US dollars, is that a problem. So you can see ripple effects across so many different areas, and this is I think why so many people would be very keen for someone like Diamond to go in and be working with the administration to ensure that maybe some of those implications are thought through before we aggressively try to devalue the currency.
Speaker 1: Right, and if they did devalue the currency, which cause okay, so quick win for US Heartland America feels better about itself. But then the US wouldn't be the US. The decline of the US as a reserve currency, which by the way, has barely occurred, but if it started to occur, what would that mean?
Speaker 2: Then for Australia, there's a few different things to consider. One is how much in Australia is priced in US dollars. We're not a country that is as heavily dependent on the US dollar as many others, you know, so you can see the implications for China, for example. For US, they're probably secondary effects rather than direct, and so we don't see quite as much anxiety here. It's more going if we have to work through this, what are the implications? But for some companies and some sected the implications and quite significant.
Speaker 1: Okay, one last thing, what would it mean for gold? Rhetorical question.
Speaker 2: Rallying for a while, right, people have been watching this and it's quite interesting to observe. And the major hypothesis for why it's been rallying is that central banks have been buying. Have they been buying in anticipation of a d dollarization. Maybe they have, so there is a hypothesis that there will be more upward pressure on the gold price, and then it's quite attractive, even though it has rallied very strongly.
Speaker 1: By the way, talking about the top ten stocks, we talked about banks and miners, but you know the miner that's appeared in the top ten is Neumont. Newcrest just sold the wrong time, folks, Sorry but you are, oh lord, Newcrest. It's tough. Honestly, they've floundered around for years and years and then they sold to Numant and guess what gold is going beautifully. Remember folks, that just because gold is going up doesn't mean the gold miners go up because they have to mine and often they get it wrong big time. But in the main they should do better.
Speaker 2: It's never a perfect correlation.
Speaker 1: That it's disappointed, no, oh man, it's the most it's a particularly unreliable relationship the direction of the gold price and the direction of gold miners. Okay, that's for another show. We'll be back in a moment. If that's a great question. Hello and welcome back to The Australian's Money Puzzle podcast. I'm James Kirby, the Wealth editor at The Australian, talking to a friend of the show, Gemma Dale, head of Investor Behavior and SMSF at NAB Trade. As I have often said, one of my favorite job titles. It's funny when I go on other people shows they say, oh, I love your title wealth editor, but I like kind of investor behavior. I must say I love that one.
Speaker 2: All right. Now I'm not telling them what to do. I'm just looking at it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, but it's such an interesting area, all right. Bruce says, what is the difference between infrastructure investments made by private equity and those led by infrastructure ETFs and does this explain the relatively poor performance of infrastructure ETFs? Bruce, that's a terrific question. I wonder, are we perhaps thinking that the private equity performance of infrastructure is better and they say it is, or we're late to believe it's so good, because how do we know? But what do you think, Gema?
Speaker 2: I think there's multiple parts of this question. I thought about a lot. Actually, private equity firms will have an infrastructure arm in many cases, but that doesn't mean they approach it the same way they do private equity. The way they would to text sort of startup for example. So the goal of private equity is to get in very early, take a very active role in the company, and sometimes it will turn around the big company that's existed for a long time it's really broken. Private equity buy it up, get in there, restructure it, turn it around. That's quite different to infrastructure, where your goal is effectively to own something that generates a pretty consistent return over time.
Speaker 1: It's just tipping over. It's tipping along.
Speaker 2: Yeah, something that's ticking overs are quite different. So even though it maybe a private equity firm that is owning the assets, it's not approaching it like a private equity business. There is a lot of unlisted infrastructure. It's not stuff that isvailable on the ESSEX or a listed exchange. And then you've got your listed plays and then you've got ETFs, and then you've got passive versus active. So it's all very It depends on what you're comparing. Infrastructure is a really good example of where it's a very broad term that covers a lot of different things, and you need to look at the underlying assets to got is this something I want to invest in? Because the performance will be dramatically different. We saw during COVID that all of these things that were supposed to be great long term investments that just spit out a long term return and you don't have to worry too much about volatility, ended up being very volatile. Toll roads, airports, all of that stuff complete disaster during COVID did the exact opposite of what they were supposed to do long term because of very dramatic change in the world. So the other thing that is very important to some people, less so others, but absolutely matters if you're an institutional investors. There's a lot of energy exposure in some font So you'll see some with thirty percent more exposed to non renewable energy sources fossil fuels, let's be frank. And then they will have pipelines which are also, let's be frank, non renewable energy sources. In most cases that can be forty or fifty percent of the assets, and if that's not for you, you need to think about that. But also there are a lot of institutional investors who will not touch something that's fifty percent fossil fuels. It's just a much bigger universe than perhaps people anticipate and you want to look at what is actually being held in it and think long and hard about whether or not it's for you and whether you think it's going to perform the way it wanted to. Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a really good answer. As you say, it's a world within a world, Bruce. And you know, with an infrastructurrey Ta, if you know, you know what the deed is. With the private equity infrastructure player, you have no idea what's going on there. They might be firing the entire management, they might be changing the entire plan. You know, don't build that bridge, build another one completely different. It's almost not comparing apples with apples, though it sounds like it. Okay, really good, thank you for that, Gemma. Now Bruce cleverly puts in the second question, and that's always fine. Folks. You can put in two questions. If they both make sense to me, and they're both relatively succinct, they have a very good chance of being read out. Okay. The second one is the debate over the minimum amount required for a self managed super fund rages on. One factor often mentioned is the running cost. Scary figures are sometimes used last year our SMSF costs a total of two thousand, six hundred. That's the tax turn preparation Order's an asseic. No, no financial advice, as we didn't use any, and we keep getting lesters from people offering to do it for less. Can you explain the discrepancy between the quoted figures. This is a great question, Bruce, again, two in a row. Well done, Bruce. I'm the same, okay. I have ANMSF for about twenty years and I get letters all the time from these people. I don't know how they get my name and address. I love to know how they get it, because I didn't give it to them, and they're offering. They just said the SMSF owners. They don't actually know who I am, but they've got enough information to get a letter to my home and they offer to do my SMSF for tiny amounts. The discrepancy, I imagine, is the same as anything else. You know, You'll have two people drop it a leafless in your door, saying they'll clean your gotters, and one says they'll do it for fifty bucks, and one says five hundred. And you can kind of guess why one's fifty and wants five hundred. Maybe that's rather simplicitic. Gemma, who is Russ You must remember at a SMSF at one of the nation's biggest banks may have a more sophisticated answer. Ah.
Speaker 2: So this is funny because a friend of mine uses one of the very low cost administrators for his SMSF. And when I say he uses it, what I mean is his wife is an accountant and she does all the paperwork and then submits it to them, and then they do the last tiny bit. So it's quite fascinating. Effectively, what happens is you do most of the work and then you provide the administrator. They do the bare minimum at the end, just require I imagine cost it out at her hourly rate. It's probably a very poor decision on their part, but you know it's got to be done. So this is I find this fascinating and I've looked at this so many times, and it's always worth noting who has done this research and emphatter commas about what the cost is and what their motivation might be for putting it out there. The assumption is often that you have a financial advisor, which in your case was Bruce. Is not the case right, you don't have an advisor, so you can chuck out several thousand dollars worth of fees that have been assumed in this situation. And there are always a lot of assumptions. The other thing they will assume is asset management fees, So they assume that you have managed funds generally, well they used to. Maybe they will say now they're actively managed dtfs and they will put in one hundred basis points for that, or one hundred and fifty basis points for that, or they might assume you have a retail managed fund and it might be two hundred basis points for that, so they layer them right, So they go, your accountant's going to charge you five thousand dollars a year, and then the order is going to charge you one thousand dollars a year, and then you are going to pay two percent of your assets if you're in managed funds. Now they may have brought these down because obviously fees, all of these things have fallen dramatically over the last ten years. So I'm not quite sure exactly what their assumptions are. Now they have hopefully reflected the market a bit better, and then an advisor fee, so many people will pay an advisor a fee of anywhere between sixty and one hundred basis points if you pay an asset based fee. So once you add all of those things up, you can be talking ten thousand dollars plus to run a fund. But the vast majority of people don't do that, right, Like, when I look at what we have on NAB trade, which is a very meaningful number of estimatests, they're people running their own share portfolio. There's no holding cost because they're hint based assets, and they just sit on the platform. Then you get your statement at the end of the year and just give it to your accountant, so you give it to your administrative.
Speaker 1: What percentage of them use advisors?
Speaker 2: I'm n AB traide virtually none, Right, Yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Would have thought so. I would have thought so, because the whole thing is it's self.
Speaker 2: Managed, That's right. And it's not to say that investors who have smsfs don't use advisors. Many of them do. They tend to be, ironically, the wealthy ones who want quite sophisticated advice, and so we do see a lot of that. To NAB owns JBWIR for example, and most of our Jbear clients will have a self managed super fund, but they don't have it necessarily for the share advice. They have it because they have a business, real property in there, because they have other assets in there that are quite complex and would not otherwise be able to be held inside super So for the vast majority of people, you have a self managed super fund for a specific set of reasons. A lot of people do it just for control because they want to run it themselves. If you're doing that and you're only holding shares and ETFs, your running costs are super low. If you have a far more complex and you're trying to hold those assets for specific reasons, and you wanted to own business for your property, so you can own a property that your business leases from your SMSF inside super that's an amazing strategy. For some people, you might want to borrow to by property inside souper, which is much harder to do than it used to be, but it does work for some people, usually very wealthy people. That's got a completely different set of costs, right, So you can't compare these things again, not apples with apples. If you're happy to cost your paying and a couple of grande a year is not bad. You're just not Those assumptions that you use are just not relevant to you. Don't worry about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think that's broadly right too. As you see. You know, if it's two grand on an SMSF and we're assuming your sms if isn't tiny, then it's going to make sense really, And you don't use financial advice, and if you did, the number is supposed to be four thy three hundred a year, which is so different and would change everything. Unfortunately, I think that just must be paid. And the discrepancy between the quoted figures because all sorts of games, as Gema alluded to, some of which I didn't even know. But I also, I mean, you get what you pay for you would think as well.
Speaker 2: I should note though, financial advice is not just what to hold in your smasef right, So the advice might be what contributions you should be making every year, how much you should be withdrawing. There can be some tax advice in that, not the accounting sense of tax advice, but just how you structure those things. There could be all sorts of value added advice in there that's not specifically just about how the SMSF is run. So again a bit disingenuous to include the whole cost of financial advice in that cost of running an SMSF. It's a lot of assumptions.
Speaker 1: Very interesting. Now, Bruce, you monopolize the question segment of our show this week with are two very smart questions, so congratulations. No one's ever done that before, but you have because we've run out of time, but that was terrific. Thank you very much. Jemmerdale, head of Investor Behavior and SMSF at NAPTA. Great to have you on as always. Thank you so much, Thank you and we'll talk again. Okay, folks, do recall that we have an email which I would love you to send some questions, observations, complaints to the Money Puzzle at the Australian dot com dot au. Talk to you soon.