Speaker 1: Peter Quedlin Live from year twenty four.
Speaker 2: Hell, look a sterling effort there from Michael McCormack and others in the Parliament today against the Veterans Minister. I'll get to that in a moment. Good evening, welcome to the program, and look, just as we go to where I can report to you that the gambling advertising legislation has now passed the House of Representatives with bipartisan support, although there were some Coalition MPs that crossed the floor. I'll get you an update on that shortly. Here's what's coming up on the program tonight. The shocking display by Labour's Veterans Minister dragged kicking and screaming to meet with veterans only after he was called out in the Parliament Matt Keoh, he's got form here. It's time for the Prime Minister to step in and step up Labour's letters bungle. The convicted child sex offender might be saved from deportation because the fifty year old male says he's gay and can't be returned to Africa. That's the argument and its sparking outrage.
Speaker 3: So where is.
Speaker 2: The Minister Tony Burke still in hiding? Plus taxpayers on the hook for hundreds of millions each year to help find an activist network that props up governments like the one in Canberra. A major report has been released on this. I'll speak to the research author a little later. And just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, one of our major banks now warning that rents could soar by as much as thirty percent.
Speaker 4: The National Australia Bank has confirmed labor's toxic taxes will send rents soaring by thirty percent. Well, the Prime Minister guarantee rents will not go up by thirty percent.
Speaker 2: The first today is Vietnam Veterans Day, and as we commemorated on the eighteenth of August, because it was on this day in a rubber plantation near Long Tan and South Yea Nam, that one hundred and eight Australian and New Zealand soldiers defeated an overwhelming force of some two thousand or two and a half thousand Vietcong and North Vietnamese troops. Outnumbered by roughly ten to one. The men of D Company fought for over three hours in heavy monsoonal rains, says the official war record, Precision artillery from New Zealand and Australian batteries, alongside risky helicopter ammunition drops, kept the small force alive until armored reinforcements turned up. The victory at Longtan halted a planned enemy assault on the nearby Australia Task Force base at Nui Dat, ensuring that the headquarters were never seriously threatened again. Eighteen Australians were killed in the Battle of Longtan, twenty four of our own were wounded.
Speaker 3: This is nineteen.
Speaker 2: Sixty six years ago. Today, un lest we forget, and those words lest we forget are not just a polite way to close out a memorial or military service, but said as a plea, as a pledge from one generation to the next, that the valor and sacrifice of those who put their lives on the line to defend our country and our values should stand forever in our history, that even decades on, they should be remembered, honored and respected.
Speaker 3: Respected.
Speaker 2: Now, I want you to keep that word top of mind as you listen to this today from a veteran, a former Air Force fighter pilot now doctor Tim Neilson, who is part of a broader group of veterans in Canberra this week urging the Albanese government to rethink its decision to cut their outs to medical support services.
Speaker 5: We're all here today because we have lost complete faith in the Department of Veteran Affairs. Yesterday confirmed that lack of leadership. It confirmed for us that lack of trust. Minister Keto was forced to have a meeting with us.
Speaker 6: At five point thirty.
Speaker 5: It was obvious he did not want to be there. He even let us know that he was missing an appointment with the Governor General, which he was.
Speaker 7: Very upset about.
Speaker 5: He walked into the room, refused to shake our hand, sat down with his arms crossed, and rolled his eyes when we started telling him about the effect that this cap already is having on veterans, about four veterans who have already committed suicide as a result of the introduction of the information of this cap. We have no confidence that the Department of Veteran Affairs will be able to instigate this cap and it needs to be scrapped.
Speaker 3: Right all right.
Speaker 2: This is the man they are talking about, the man upset to have missed drinks with the Governor General in order to meet these veterans. His name is Matt Keo, his Labour's Minister for Veterans, and until he was shamed in the House of Representatives yesterday, Keo wasn't even willing to meet with that delegation.
Speaker 8: Minister. These veterans have traveled to Parliament to be heard. Why have you refused to meet them? What or who could possibly possibly be more important?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: So embarrassed yesterday into doing his job, embarrassed into meeting with that delegation of veterans, Keo chose last night to keep up the insults, refusing to shake their hand, arms crossed. We were told, sulking away again, this is a veteran calling out the veterans minister.
Speaker 5: Minister Keyo was forced to have a meeting with us at five point thirty. It was obvious he did not want to be there. He even let us know that he was missing an appointment with the Governor General, which he was very upset about. He walked into the room, refused to shake our hand, sat down with his arms crossed, and rolled his eyes when we started telling him about the effect that this cap already is having on veterans.
Speaker 2: Again, Nelson is medical doctor but also a former fighter pilot.
Speaker 3: Understand this too.
Speaker 2: In that group with Nelson and others was also Julianne Finnie, the mom of a young naval officer, David Finny, who took his own life.
Speaker 3: Now you probably know her name.
Speaker 2: She was instrumental in the establishment of the recent Royal Commission into Defense and Veterans Suicide. Well, today she accused Matt Keo of beinglittling veterans and treating them with contempt.
Speaker 9: Why would anybody want to join the ADF with him as the Minister for Defense Personnel and the Minister for veterans. He doesn't care about them. Let's call him out, Prime Minister. The minister's position is untenable and he needs to go, and you need to meet with us. You promised me in opposition that you would look after veterans. You are failing us.
Speaker 2: Now we are told that not long after those scarifying comments, senior staff in the Prime Minister's office reached out to the group and offered to meet with them.
Speaker 3: Of course they did.
Speaker 2: They went into damage control, didn't they look at that vision? But where is the Prime Minister sanctioning his minister and where is the government reversing this terrible decision to cut support to veterans. Let's start with that budget decision in May to limit over servicing. They call it KEO, capped Allied health spending to each veteran at five one thousand dollars per annum. Now anyone, whether chronic health condition, be that physical or mental, or in the case of many veterans, both will you know it doesn't take you long for the bills to mount up claims of over servicing. I mean, these are our most vulnerable veterans, and yet this decision from KO is really going to hurt those who neither help the most. Look at the millions, the billions that we waste and have wrought it out of the NDIS, and yet we're caving spending on veterans at five thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: That's it. That's it.
Speaker 2: And what galls me most here is that this Veterans Minister has falled. That KEO is the same blow that cut the very modest funding that Doug and k Baird had long received to travel to schools and RSL events to honor their son, the late war hero Cameron Bird, killed in action in Afghanistan. And now here goes again going after veterans. It's not as if Keo's careful with your money when it comes to what he spends on himself. In just the first three months of this year, matt Keo spent three hundred and sixty one thousand dollars on travel, including almost three thousand dollars to fly his wife from Perth to Sydney for a gay pride ball.
Speaker 3: That's on top of his four hundred thousand dollars salaries.
Speaker 2: Big Office sees car and all the other perks. At the start of question time today to commemorate Long Tan, we heard a lot of fine words from the Prime Minister.
Speaker 10: We also acknowledge that it took us too long as a nation to come to terms with a fundamental truth that we can disagree with the war without ever diminishing the profound respect we feel for every single Australian who puts on our uniform and serves in our name.
Speaker 2: You heard those words, but they mean little if Albanezy continues to tolerate mat Keo's clear contempt for veterans. Mat Keo's contempt is the Albanese government's contempt unless the Prime Minister does something about Keyo. If the Prime Minister says he respects the uniform he respects veterans, then it needs to show it and sack Keyo immediately. If KEYO stays, Albanese is endorsing this contempt and he's endorsing the cuts. Here is Queensland MP Phil Thompson, himself a veteran today in the House.
Speaker 6: Earlier this year the Minister had to be drag kicking and screaming to restore funding to Darg and k Bird, the parents of slaying Victoria Cross recipient Cameron Baird vc MG. Yesterday the Minister had to be drag kicking and screaming to meet with veterans about his cruel cuts to their Allied healthcare. Will you now do the right thing, Minister and scrap the five thousand dollars Allied healthcare?
Speaker 2: In response, here is the bladder from the minister and I want you to notice, please the fact that he's struggling at the dispatch box to even look Phil Thompson in the face.
Speaker 11: Really look forward to him and members of the opposition and the veteran community, and the Allied health professional community and our ex service organizations engaging in the consultation around how we ensure better access to Allied health care if you're releasing a discussion paper shortly to fulfill that consultation process, engaging directly with veterans, and I look forward to the Shadow Minister's feedback as well as those are veterans, our esos and our practitioner, our practitioners.
Speaker 2: At outguartlessness. I'll speak to Phil Thompson shortly. But this isn't about mat Cho anymore yet again, this is now a test of character for the Prime Minister.
Speaker 3: Keo should resign.
Speaker 2: He should absolutely resign, and if he doesn't have the decency to walk in Albanies, he needs to get himself a backbone and sack him well. I mentioned at the top of the show that not long ago that gambling advertising legislation has passed the Lower House. Of course it's a majority vote down there, but it did have coalition support. Let's get the letters now from our political reporter Cam red and for the update, Cam, we had some coalition MPs across the floor, but it would have been a strong vote in support even with that.
Speaker 12: Yeah, very strong, Peter, it must be said. Angus Taylor has plicated most of the concerns that it's fair to say we're on both sides of his party room. There were still many advocating for stronger laws, some also saying that this was effectively an affront through individual liberty, that people should be responsible for themselves. This is government overreach. Ultimately, though, as we first reported on News twenty four, all but two had sided with the government to back these in the last few minutes. So Andrew Wallace pat Conahan were the two that crossed the floor. They said just on conscience. They believe that these laws were too weak, that's the word pat Conahan used, and they could not support it. But ultimately, this is largely by part as an effort, Peter. It'll see things like, for example, three ads an hour for most of the day, there'll be a total blackout during children's programming, and a ban on on demand gambling advertising as well. So if you're sleeping on Sunday morning, you've got to watch Andrew Clenel on Sunday Agenda on repeat. There'll be no gambling ads during that on demand streaming. So this will go through the House. Will it's now gone. Tomorrow morning, it'll be ticked off in the Senate, and then by tomorrow AVO it will be law.
Speaker 2: All Right, we've got some other bills too, but I'll get to those with your colleague anew right.
Speaker 3: Now, thank you, Cam. Let's bring him in now.
Speaker 2: News twenty four political letter to Andrew Clenell. We'll start with the veterans, Andrew, because you went pretty hard on this today in your program this afternoon, in this appalling treatment by Matt Keo.
Speaker 3: He has got form. I'll get to that in a moment.
Speaker 2: But you in interviewed one of the meet in the room because Keyo sort of gas lighted them in the response today in the house, you interviewed someone that was there, and I want to play it now.
Speaker 3: Let's listen.
Speaker 13: We went into his office, we sat down before he arrived. On entering, he said hello, went took his seat and said, what are you guys here for? So that was the way the meeting started. Being the Minister of both Defense Personnel and the Minister of Veterans Affairs, I feel Minster Keo as an obligation to show some respect and to also lead, which is a big thing. Minister Ko's failing to do so.
Speaker 7: So his officer said to me he didn't want to trouble you guys to stand. Okay, I'll see your reaction to that and that he shook all your hands on the way out. What do you say to that?
Speaker 13: Mate. We've met with various politicians and political and media people what we've been here, and including labor politicians who were great, they were gracious. Everyone has shook the hands of the veterans. Everyone has spoken to us with respect and we've shown respect. But it was a different scenario with Minister Keo. There is a disdain that I think when you speak to the veteran community and those serving. It's been obvious since he was appointed minister.
Speaker 7: What happened though in that meeting? Did he listen to your concerns about the Allied healthcare cap? Did he express any sympathy?
Speaker 13: No sympathy at all. He actually said to us at one stage that you know, if we see a veteran going through a process rehabilitation and say, after twelve treatments there's been no improvement, why would we continue this?
Speaker 2: All right, Andrew, we've been around a long time. How does he stay in the role.
Speaker 7: Is Matt Keo an idiot? Is he a manchild? What is this guy's problem? I mean, what a moron? And you know I don't use this language lightly with ministers. You've known me for a long time, Peter.
Speaker 3: Yes I have.
Speaker 7: But I'm so stunned and shocked by this, you know, the lack of empathy, the stupidity, the political stupidity, and the arrogance and the stubbornness. You know, I reported on Sunday Agenda these guys were coming to Parliament to do this with cross Bench, with the opposition, and to you know, the first thing that office has to do and that minister has to do is go right, we're meeting these people. It doesn't matter if they're up there with other MPs. You know what has this Matt Keo guy done his life? Push paper? These people have had bullets fight at them. They have real life trauma from their time serving us, You and me and every viewer out there. And this clown Matt Ko thinks he can refuse a meeting with them to go to a governor general ceremony. Now I met. I was introduced to four of these guys yesterday afternoon here in the corridor, Peter. The first thing I did was shake every one of those four guys hands, and they were very polite guys because out of respect. And he goes into that meeting, he doesn't shake their hands and he sits down, he folds his arms. Now he sort of you know sometimes you know, people can get beat up on ministers. In terms of the one side of account of this meeting. He said he didn't want to stand, he shook their hands at the end.
Speaker 9: Whatever.
Speaker 7: But I listened to all these veterans. I don't think they're all making it up. They all had the same feeling in that room, and they were already on the back foot because he hadn't given them a meeting. And surely PMO has intervened here, and surely there are people in the Prime Minister's office watching this broadcast right now who have the same view of Matt Keo's conduct in this matter as me. Now, this is one of the problems with this political sort of federal system. They don't have a lot of talent in WA the Labor Party, they've got a lot of talent and places like New South Wales and Victoria. But because the system in the ministry, they have to have WA representation or a certain number from each statement. Seems to me that's the only reason Matt KO, even though he seems to have a high opinion of himself is essentially in that job. And the other main point I wanted to come on and say to you tonight, Peter, in relation to this, we've seen this Anaka Wells travel business. We've seen it with this character now Matt Keo and his disrespect for veterans and what appears to be just in competence. Anthony Albanizi is letting the nation down by his stubbornness not to provide a scalp to either the media or the opposition or in one nation. These days, you've got to move ministers on when they're not up to it.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 7: He did it with Claire O'Neill and he's good mate. Adam Giles, Sorry, Andrew Johns, he moved, yes, but at least he moved them out of there once he went to a reshuffle. But it just seems to me, look, sometimes you just got to drop people, and he's never done it now. John Howe did it a heap and then he stopped doing it as well. But even Reith was shown the door after the Telegut affair. Peter Reith, really, so eventually you've just got to be a leader and show these ministers that there is some accountability. See Elbow's big on loyalty. It's his number one thing. But you don't get the best performance from this cabinet for this country with loyalty. We're just rewarding loyalty no matter the caliber of the performance.
Speaker 2: But you also have to be very, very careful in this portfolio for a couple of reasons. One veterans anyone in the defense portfolio areas, whether they're in a uniform or had once worn a uniform, want to see leadership, want to see respect, and will not tolerate weakness. So that's a big problem both for the Prime Minister and obviously for mat Keo the.
Speaker 3: Blow CAAs form.
Speaker 2: I'll get to his form in a moment. With Phil Thompson. When you stuff up and you keep stuffing up, eventually the problem becomes your boss, who won't take action as opposed to.
Speaker 3: Just your repeated errors. But also.
Speaker 2: Thousands of meetings I've had in that building with external players. I've been there with ministers, I've been there with people in opposition, and I've had plenty of meetings of my own.
Speaker 3: I don't think I have ever.
Speaker 2: Walked into a room and not shaken the hands or at least put my hand out to shake someone's hand. Now, the idea of all the people who will come in the door that you do not do that to veterans that you set on your hands with veterans, they are people that have spent their entire lives working in a command structure that is very orthodox when it comes to symbolism and respect. So for him to walk in and look, yes, he's made a decision. He will argue why he needs to have this cap in place. He has to have basically the balls to look the soldiers in the eye and the veterans in the eye and defend that decision. Now, if you can't, if you won't have the meeting, you don't deserve to have the job. And I looked at him in the chamber, Andrew, and it was gutlessness. He had his head down at the dispatch box. He didn't even have the gumption to look across the aisle at the opposition.
Speaker 3: He's looking up in the gallery, he's looking up in the lights.
Speaker 2: He is not able to face his opponents because he is shamed, and he should be shamed.
Speaker 7: Sometimes they're just not up to it, right, I mean, you would have seen it.
Speaker 3: You start to a.
Speaker 7: Promister minister and you think this person will be okay, and then you see it and you go, oh no, they're hopeless. It must be a horrible feeling for that to be the case. And I think we've just seen Matt Kayo's moment. What's he going to be remembered for this? Wow to.
Speaker 3: I know your point.
Speaker 2: I know your point about w A and you're absolutely right, particularly with labor because they're all the factional factional nuances that go into that mix as well. But this is now drag taking the Prime minister down, This is dragging his government down. Labor already have a less than optimal view amongst defense and veteran personnel. A lot of them are looking at what's gone on in relation to the Breton Inquiry and Ben Roberts Smith and others versus the last straw for many.
Speaker 7: Well, I just think a guy like pack Gorman, even like Pac Gorman's never going to behave himself like that if you gave him the job. He's from Western Australia, He's never going to carry on like Matt ko just has. Hey, the drivers, there's got to be options there. Yeah, Well that's true. That's very true. And yeah, I mean you've got to be respectful to stakeholders. You know that is a long time seenior staff for In fact, one stakeholder once said they went to a meeting with you and Helen Coonan and it seemed like you were the minister, not Helen Coonon. But notwithstanding that, Peter, you know how to treat these people, and you treat them with respect. You treat them as you would be a treatd even before you get to the fact that they're a special class because they're veterans. And you know, he just looks like he's coming and had a big sook. I mean, it's just unbelievable. And then I had this story today about there was a sculpture at the War Memorial that's got his name on it dedicated by him when Matt Fistltwaite had to do it because he had to go to India. The minister Matt ka So it's kind of like, why's your name on it? Why didn't you get why didn't you and your staff get that sorted? Because that's inaccurate and it's about soldiers having experienced trauma. A sculpture you didn't dedicate it someone filled in for you. So I just think there's a lot of hairs on this guy, and it isn't an important portfolio. It's a tough one. I also think, I mean, you might be able to educate me on this, but I would say that he was asked to make savings, as all ministers were. The Department, the DVA have given him a list and instead of having the brains to go, if I do that allied health thing, or if I do that other thing on travel entitlements for the VC parents, I'll get smashed. It's just gone, oh yeah, tick tick. That again shows incompetence. That again shows his name to it that he's a bit of a yes minister.
Speaker 2: But look at his own travel mate. If he flew at the back of the plane, he might save some money. Three hundred and forty thousand dollars. So three hundred and sixty one thousand dollars in just the first three months of the year alone. I know, if you really want to make savings, you can go through cut the department, cut some of the bureaucrats. Don't cut the frontline services in DBA, go through the back end.
Speaker 3: The back of us. Nah, look, let's leave him criticism. We'll leave him.
Speaker 7: Yeah, can I just say I will get off. I hope he's on the front page of every paper in the country tomorrow, this bloke, because he deserves to be.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 2: You're not often as tough as you are, but you're really fired up. So the Prime Minister, who I know, calls you often enough. I hope he gets the message to this bloke's got to go. We'll keep it up. Thank you, Andrew Clanew. I'm going to stay with this issue because I want to bring you now. Of course, well known to this program, philed Tom said he is the Shadow Minister for Defense Personnel, himself an Army veteran. The Prime Minister calls you a former veteran, mate, No one's a former veteran. If you are someone who's worn the Universe form.
Speaker 3: You are a veteran for life.
Speaker 2: We'll get to his treatment at this group in a moment, but take us through his form. Feel because this isn't his first clash with veterans since he got into the portfolio. It's almost like he's gone out of the way to hurt veterans.
Speaker 6: I absolutely agree with you, and from funding cuts to debarcles to putting his name on parks when he wasn't there. Now to refusing to meet with veterans, this guy continues just to fall upwards. It's ridiculous. Courage and conviction is what our veterans have, what they've faced, and sadly this is not what the Minister for Veterans Affairs has, the person who's supposed to.
Speaker 3: Be championing them.
Speaker 6: I want you to know Peter that tonight, and I hope that it gets picked up every I don't believe that mat Keo, the Minister for Veterans Affairs, should stay in his portfolio. I and every other veteran that I've spoken to have lost faith in his ability to support us as veterans, to put us first. Is nothing more than a party man, and he should be removed from this position.
Speaker 3: Tonight.
Speaker 2: I watched him and I mentioned this a moment ago. I watched him in the chamber today when you asked him questions and you had him on the ropes in question time, he couldn't even look you in the eye.
Speaker 6: No, and he has been like that for some time. He doesn't like getting asked hard questions. He responds. His response is always quite petty. If he gets a question, he does roll his eyes and he sits back in his scoffs, and then he comes over and he creates it a political partisan position around veterans issues that has never been the case previously under any other minister and any other government. I just don't think he likes veterans. I don't think he likes his portfolio. And it's clear by his actions he's out of his depth. He doesn't want this job, and you know what, I agree with him. I don't think he should have it.
Speaker 2: Okay, So we talked about before the cutting of the money to the Bard family, and it was modest funding to support the RSL and to tell Cameron's story in schools. He tried to limit the deadlines on awarding of medals for valor to put applications in. He cut funding to the Invictus Games like this is a rap sheet that should shame anyone, just one of these items. And then he is obviously refused to meet with veterans help people understand why this cap is such a problem for veterans.
Speaker 6: Film So right now, if so, a veteran in townsll came to me and he has a postmaking stress disorder. He has a shoulder injury. In the injury and you know what, life just got tough and he's fallen over a bit and he's all these services, Allied health services. Now he will run out of this file or run over this five thousand a cap in a couple of months now. I've been in the dark place, and so have many veterans around the country. When you're looking up and all you can see in the dark hole is the little bit of light, which is the services you're getting. When that light gets taken away, what happens next. And I heard a veteran recently tell me that he won't be a burden for his family.
Speaker 3: This is a plan.
Speaker 6: This is going to create suicides, is going to create so much harm in our community. And for the minister to say, I'll just pick the phone up and call the department. I've got an insider in the department and they told me that it would take up to seven months for the extension of the five thousand dollars to be approved. This isn't good enough. This is such a failure and the veterans are going to be so worse off because of this incompetent minister.
Speaker 2: And we're talking there. When you say ELI services to people at home can follow me.
Speaker 3: We're talking about.
Speaker 2: Say physio, a bit of ot, psychiatric or psychological services. Because it's not just the physical stuff or the meant stuff. You rightly say, all of it can collide at the one time. And this is why an arbitrary cap doesn't work for veterans.
Speaker 6: Oh correct, you know the shoulder and jude to the knee, to the ankle, to the tendatus where my ears ring, to post traumatic stress disor when it's all on, it's on, and when it hurts, it hurts, and when you fall over. No veteran that I know is expecting a hand out. They want to hand up, and they're looking at a government that's just taking that away.
Speaker 2: Well, they burn the hand up. That should never be a question in a country like ours. If he'll keep it up, keep it up. I want to see him going by the end of the week. That's the least we can do for veterans tonight. Thank you for joining me. Now for the break how a convicted's child sex offender could stay in Australia after a psychologist argued he'd pose less of a risk of reoffending if he stayed here on a visa. It doesn't make sense, Senator Mikaylia cash coming up, welcome back rents up thirty percent. That's a prediction on the back of Labour's budget changes to housing and how the government, the federal government's using your tax dollars to fund the left wing ecosystem left that in a moment. Some research out today, But first an astounding report in the Australian. A convicted child sex offender, a fifty year old man from Sierra Leone, may get to stay in Australia after his psychologists argue before the Federal Court that he would pose less of a risk of reoffending if granted a permanent protection visa to stay in this country. The man arrived in Australia in twenty eleven on espousal visa. He abused a boy and was jailed. A year later, out of jail and then back in jail again two more counts of indecent assault. He then declares he's gay, so he can't be sent back to Sierra Leone because homosexuality is illegal, so he stays here in Australia and now he wants that to be declared as permanent.
Speaker 3: Here's the crazy part.
Speaker 2: The Federal Court heard testimony from therapist Graham Randall who noted that if this man, and we only know him as MF KF, if this man was provided a permanent visa, this would and I quote the therapist, provide a level of security that may reduce the risk of criminal or sexual offending, reducing the risk to the community. Well, joining me now to discuss this and more, Shadow Attorney General Kaylia Cash, So help me out here, Senator, how on earth does giving this bloke a protection visa to stay here reduce the risk of reoffending reduce the risk to this Australian community. Surely if we put him on a plane and send him back where he came from, that actually protects Australian children more than allowing him to stay.
Speaker 14: Well, Peter, I think Australians will have seen this story and think that our immigration system has gone stark, raving mad. This is a convicted child sex offender who has had his visa canceled. In other words, he has no right to be in our country, and yet now we're in this bizarre position of being told we need to consider whether giving the convicted child sex offender, permanent residency will reduce his risk of reoffending because he feels more secure. Peter, I have one fundamental principle. I stand up for the rights of children in our great country.
Speaker 3: I'm not here to ensure that.
Speaker 14: Convicted child sex offenders are given permanent residency to make them feel better. And my message to Tony Burke is very clear. You should be moving heaven and earth to ensure that this convicted child sex offender, who has no right to be here, is removed from our country.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, where is Tony Burke on this needs more laws? If he needs more powers your parliament actually correct, why does he talk to you and get what he needs?
Speaker 14: Absolutely, because you know where Tony Burke sits in relation to these types of laws. We've been very clear Tony Burke can't hide behind the law. If Tony Burke is saying the law is a problem in Australia in relation to the removal of this man, well tell Australians what powers and laws you need, Tony Burke, bring them to the Parliament and we will help you past them. Because at the end of the day, the role of the Australian government is to protect our children, not look out for convicted child sex offenders who have no right to be here. And that's why Angus Taylor and I and the rest of the team we are so passionate about the fact that under our plan we make no excuses, we will put Australians and Australian values first, victor child sex offenders who have no right, Peter to be in this country.
Speaker 3: You're a West Australian.
Speaker 2: Should Mat Keyo stay in his job as Veterans Minister?
Speaker 3: No, he shouldn't.
Speaker 14: And I think this goes directly to Anthony Alberesi, because Anthony Alberesi needs to answer one basic question. Does he believe Matt Keo, who has shown disrespect, disregard and contempt for the men and women of Australia who have been prepared to put their lives on the line for our great country and fight for our freedoms. Should he stay in his job? Does Anthony Albernesi believe those standards are befitting of a minister? I mean Matt Keo. This is one of the most privileged positions in Australia, being the Minister for Veterans Affairs, Matt Keyo is meant to be the champion for these people, meeting with them, listening to them, advocating for their best interests, and what does he do well? In the first instance, Remember when he decided to sign a brief that took away the travel entitlement of Cameron Baird's parents. What an absolute disgrace. What type of a sicko actually signs that brief? But to now hear the stories from the veterans a he wouldn't meet with them. Then when he was forced to meet with them, he refuses to shake their hands, He refuses to actually address their concerns. He rolls his eyes and says to them, I was actually meant to be at a meeting with the Governor General.
Speaker 3: Are you actually kidding me?
Speaker 14: This goes to the standard that Anthony Alberanizi expects from his ministers. Matt Keo has a pattern of behavior in relation to disrespecting the great men and women of Australia who have put their lives on the line for our country, and his position, quite frankly, is untenable. If he doesn't go, then Anthony ol Benezi needs to do the right thing by the veterans community in Australia and tell him you're gone.
Speaker 3: Not wrong there.
Speaker 2: I'll leave it there. Thank you said it a good win today too. On the widow's tapes. Finally, it shouldn't have been that hard to text, but we got it fixed out and we I.
Speaker 3: Will leave it there. After the break.
Speaker 2: You will not believe how much of your money has been handed to left wing activist organizations and how it's skewing our democracy.
Speaker 3: Welcome back.
Speaker 2: One point eight million visas handed out so the people can come to Australia study since Labor came to office. Wait, do we hear how many of them have come with their families who are not even studying here. The number show just how big this racket has become. But first you research from the Institute of Public Affairs. It's exposed the billions used by government each year to fund activists and build a so called progressive network to keep the left in power. The report is titled Stacking the Deck, and it's found that in just four years, across state and federal government, some two point two billion dollars that's in aggregate terms, has been spent funding one hundred select NGOs, all of them significantly engaged in areas of quote diversity and multiculturalism advocacy that's a billion, public health and nanny state advocacy that's six hundred million, welfare state advocacy and lawfare three hundred million, Indigenous co governance ninety million, and green advocacy one hundred and seventy million dollars.
Speaker 3: Join me here. One of the authors of the report, Research.
Speaker 2: Assistant at the IPA, Jordan abazaid, Wow, this was staggering. I didn't think it was that much money, and I guess using public funds like this two and a bit million billion dollars basically supports a who eco system that keeps labor in power, that references back to labor everything it wants to sell the community.
Speaker 15: Well, that's exactly right. We tracked a hundred of these different organizations, but it's more than one hundred. Those are just the ones we included in this report, and we found that through their registers with the Australian Charities Commission, that the government is funding all these kinds of NGOs that engage in progressive advocacy. One of the most egregious examples is the Federal Ethnic Communities Council's Alliance or Australian and they have been lobbying the Federal government for a Multicultural Act that would enshrine multiculturalism into Australian law, taking it out of the hands of Australians to decide and putting it into law. Additionally, when the Queensland government put a pause on puberty blockers, groups like Transcend Australia, which received over two million dollars from taxpayer, then lobbied against the government's change. And we're aggressively pushing back against that, and we think that's unfair.
Speaker 2: Do you think taxpayers have got any sense at how much their money is basically used to thwart things that they vote for each year. So they might vote in an election to have reduction in migration, or they might vote that a woman is a woman and a man is a man, and they don't want to go down the path of gender ideology. It's like this is undoing the democratic vote.
Speaker 15: It absolutely is. And a lot of Australians can often feel like their views are somehow misplaced, their views are somehow wrong or incorrect when they engage with these media institutions, these public institutions that tell them you know, they're a biggot because they believe men and men and women and women, or that they would like to see less immigration or anything like that. But what we're finding is this isn't a debate between citizens in Australia. One side of the debate has a whole bunch of government cash and are pretending like they're just like you.
Speaker 2: Well, we saw this with the Voice, right, so the majority of Australians ended up voting no. But you know, midway through the debate certainly that the funding was heavily weighted towards the S campaign. But the message from the S campaign was that.
Speaker 3: Everybody is agreeing with us. If you don't agree with us, you're an outlier.
Speaker 2: I think part of my concern with this is these fringed groups that reinforce the government's agenda, the left's agenda, make the silent majority feel that they're not the majority, when in fact they are.
Speaker 15: One of the things I report actually found was that funding two groups pushing for this sort of divisive treaties actually increased after the Voice rather than decreased, so they saw that Australians disagree with them and rather than the government going and I've heard what you have to say, I'm going to adapt. They've instead completely changed, not changed, rather they've amplified what they're doing to try and twist Australians viewpoints to something else.
Speaker 2: I presume this reports on the IPA website. I've got to ask you for a comment from you, Cared not Canevan on the weekend called for an audit of all of our international treaties and agreements etc. And even I was shocked to know that we're talking about four thousand international agreements that Australia signed up to that are pervasive and basically have got their sort of clause into our domestic laws.
Speaker 3: Do you think that's a good thing.
Speaker 15: Absolutely, I think it's a step in the right direction. I think first we need a full understanding of what we have actually signed up to, and then I think we need to start looking at it stepping out from many of these treaties. I think too often Australians feel ignored by their government, and they feel like the government cares more about what happens in Brussels than what happens in Bondai or Ballarat. And I think that ultimately Australians want them to focus on them not. International treaties are not wrong.
Speaker 3: Thank you Jordan. What on the research?
Speaker 2: I thought it was bad, but I didn't think it was two billion dollars bad. After the break, how the student visa system has become a raught under Labor, My panel is next, we'll go back. I just had a quick scroll through my phone and your messages flat again and like so many Australians, we all have some military connection in our lives. The anger towards mat Keo is absolutely extraordinary. Let's get into things with my panel now. Broadcaster Lucy Gazelle joins me, as she does every Tuesday night, and One Nation Senator.
Speaker 3: Sean Bell joins us as well. Tonight.
Speaker 2: Sean, I want to go first to your analysis One Nation analysis on these study visas. These are students undergraduates, but also graduate visas.
Speaker 3: Let's just call them students across the board.
Speaker 2: Under the last four years with LABOR, there's been a whopping three hundred and eighty five thousand spousans and children and others who have got visas to accompany the students to Australia. There's more than one point eight million people getting these student visas. I knew about the student numbers, mate, but I had no idea that we're close to four hundred thousand sort of family members here. And of course every time the student stays and moves from one course to another course and just you know, leap frogs their way around Australia, all of these other people stay.
Speaker 9: Peter.
Speaker 1: One nation's position on this is very clear. We believe that there are too many international students in Australia majoring in permanent residency. I mean, it's a joke the albanize and it's been enabled by the Albanese labor government because prior to the Albanese labor government, if an international student was found to be or suspected of using one of these visas to get permanent residency, they could lose their visa. Well, that clause was removed by the Albanese labor government because they were happy to have this lever to pull so they could use mass migration to prop up the economy that they were destroying. So look this because and this is not the type of this is not productive immigration. This is immigration that benefits labor through propping up GDP. It helps look after the university. These universities love it, but it is not to the benefit of the Australian people, and the Labor government must act. One nation is calling the Labor government on Tony Burke, step in fix the mistakes you have made, because every second you don't, Australians suffer the consequences.
Speaker 2: What's really important I want people to understand this at home, Lucy, is we have various arms, if I can call them that, to our immigration program. When someone applies to come here permanently, like perhaps your family did, we assess them as someone who's going to be a forever citizen in this country. So we absolutely run the ruler over them that the requirements are quite tough. But if you're coming here to study, we're just looking at your ability to do that course because we assume you're going to go home.
Speaker 3: We're not assuming you're.
Speaker 2: Going to leap froggy away from one visa class to another to then stay on indefinitely as an Australian.
Speaker 3: So this is the difference.
Speaker 2: So these people that stay that turn a student visa into a permanent outcome.
Speaker 3: I never checked. I never assessed in.
Speaker 2: The way that we do someone who wants to come here under a skilled visa program to be a forever Australian.
Speaker 16: You're absolutely right, Peter, great to be with you once again. And I think the broader points that also need to be made around this as well, with respect to some of the comments that Senator Hanson made were that this is effectively a scam. You've got universities now who are overly reliant on these foreign students, and many academics are pointing rightly to the fact that this is actually hollowing out their integrity and it's damaging them on an international scale in many ways in terms of their reputations. I mean, you only have to look at some of the wages of the vice chancellors in this country. Right down at the University of Canberra, you've got Bill Shorten on over eight hundred and sixty thousand. Meanwhile in Melbourne, at Flinder's University, the vice chancellor there is earning to the tune last year of over one point four million dollars. That's more than the vice hanselors at Oxford and Cambridge University, more than the pay packet of the Prime Minister.
Speaker 3: How can they justify this?
Speaker 16: And even worse still back in twenty twenty four, a series of over a dozen academics spoke to The Guardian and on the balance of annonymity and on that proviso, revealed that students international students were walking away with prestigious degrees that could barely speak basic English. This is something that needs to come to an end, and come to an end fast.
Speaker 3: See the thing is Shawn.
Speaker 2: Our universities, our highest ranked university is about number fifty two or fifty three in the world. Our universities are not in the top ten of the top twenty, but they're very, very popular because people aren't buying a degree, they're buying permanent residency.
Speaker 3: So that's the difference.
Speaker 2: That's why there is the demand, and that's why they don't care whether you learn English. That's why they always put an you know, an Australian kid in the group projects to do the work to help the foreign students get over the line, because they're paying for an outcome.
Speaker 1: I mean, what's obvious to everyone now is that under the Albanze Labor government there's no such thing as a temporary student visa. That's a misnomer. We should relabel these all pathway to permanent residency visas because that is the attention of the Albanese labor government. They're not interested in adding productive skills using these visas. They are simply interested in boosting the population as quickly as they can in order to prop up GDP. They don't care about the consequences it has on housing. They don't care that it's driving up rents, and they don't care about the strain that places that are infrastructure. They only care about how it benefits themselves.
Speaker 2: It was really passing strange in question time today in their house, Lucy, you had the National Australia Bank worn that rents could spike by as much as thirty percent over the next two years on the back of all the changes in barget But the Treasurer says nothing to say here Prime Minister saying well, I think the NAB have got it wrong. I don't think the NAB's got it wrong. I think the Housing Minister's got it wrong. I think our treasurer has got it wrong, But I don't think the bank's got it wrong.
Speaker 3: How's it, po.
Speaker 16: Oh that they've got it wrong is because history has been our greatest teacher when it comes to these types of changes we saw back in nineteen eighty five. They tried to introduce similar changes, and what happened. Rent skyrocketed across all of the major capital cities and they had to reverse it. In nineteen eighty seven. New Zealand similarly followed suit our neighbors in you know, I think it was twenty twenty or thereabouts under Jacinda Ardern and then they too had to reverse those changes.
Speaker 3: They don't work.
Speaker 16: And every time this foolish labor government thinks that they can do it better. Our self declared Prime Minister who you know, when he was elected to the seat of grain La, clared himself as a democratic socialist. They think they can do it better than everybody else. Just take a look at what these policy changes have enacted throughout history and you will learn that they fail. Nab is right to predict this because we've seen it happen in the past. Never mind the fact they issued a clarification and said, well it wasn't a forecast. They're looking at who's lending. They're looking at the fact that home applications are down.
Speaker 3: And I'm a renter.
Speaker 16: I'll tell you now, it's a brutal market out there. Rent has already gone up this year and if you are kicked out to the curb. Try finding a place to live or to rent in this city where there aren't twenty to thirty families lining up ahead of you. It's a disgrace and it's only going to get worse, with or without NAB's prediction.
Speaker 3: I know that. I can tell you. We're feeling it on the ground. Yeah, it's a shocking state of affairs. I'll leave it there, both of you. Thank you.
Speaker 2: That's it for me tonight. It's been a busy show. That's Seve mckel last the week. Let's hope he doesn't. To all the Vietnam veterans out there and their families and those that love them, that stood with them when times were tough, I see you, I hear you.
Speaker 3: I honor your service. See you tomorrow night. Here's Andrew