Speaker 1: I'll get a doctor. Sam. Welcome back to you project. How are you?
Speaker 2: Thanks? Great? Good? How are you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm good. How's so you're on the other side of the continent. I'm right, you're in Perth.
Speaker 2: Right, I'm in Karatha, which is WA so yeah close.
Speaker 1: So how I think I asked you this? I should have remembered. But what is that? Like? Eight hundred kilometers?
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm not really good with mouth. It's about it's like a two hour flight.
Speaker 1: So all right, So it's it's far. It's far. It's like it's like Melbourne to Brisbane far.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pie country living really but Kraft is a city, so it's yeah, the mix of the country and the and the city life.
Speaker 1: How many? How many? How many people? This is not really our topic, but fuck it, it doesn't matter. How many people live in Karatha, give or tape.
Speaker 2: She tested me today. I'm guessing like twenty thousand. But that's honestly just off the top of my head. I'm not I'm not familiar with the stat and.
Speaker 1: It's primarily a this is it not your field of expertise, but it's primarily a mining town, right it is?
Speaker 2: Well, the family's here, right, Yeah, either way. Yeah, for one of the big mining companies though.
Speaker 1: And is it?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 1: Sorry? Everyone, I'm just interested in this. Is it? Like, what's the typical temperature?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 1: It's hot all year?
Speaker 2: Right? It is so hot? Oh yeah, yeah, you'd have like a good maybe like month of winter or two. But yeah, it's like pretty hot all year. And it's humid as well. So I think we're in the early forties today, so it's yeah, so long. Wow.
Speaker 1: And what's like a winter like a cold winterday is probably like twenty two or something.
Speaker 2: Oh well, it goes really cold, like yeah, for a month or two. But yeah, generally speaking, even our winters stone Yeah, it kind of feels a bit like springs. So yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow. Now just tell my audience who haven't met you yet, just give them a quick snapshot of the doctor Sam Casey kind of vibe as in your career, I mean, I'm a pissys looking club. I mean that, I mean your career, what you do, the work that you do to give them context before we step off.
Speaker 2: Yeap. So I'm a therapist. I trained as a child therapist and then moved on to working more with parents and professionals, so teaching them about play therapies. I'm also interested plate therapists as well. And yeah, I created a play prescription which is trying to take the power of therapytic play outside the therapy room. So really just teaching practical tools to be able to clean in on that.
Speaker 1: And how many people like even have an awareness Like like when I heard about play therapy as in like a almost like a clinical thing that you can do to create mental health outcomes and address mental health issues among behavioral issues, I didn't mean. I'm literally doing a PhD in psychology and I'd never heard of it. So it is there's not that much awareness around it.
Speaker 2: There isn't, to be honest, Like in America it's quite big, but in Australia it's still really new. And when I first came across it, I mean I was fifteen, but yeah, it was really unheard off here in Australia and there's still like you said that, there's just not enough awareness around it. But you know, from a I guess the developmental point of view, it makes complete sense. You know, kids don't use words to express how they feel they play, So I am, you know, really passionate about creating more awareness around that therapeutic value of play and just the different ways that we can use that obviously, which is very, you know, very different to how people see therapy for kids.
Speaker 1: How do we know? I mean, I know there's no probably absolute answer to this, but yeah, like kids, don't you know, if kids are feeling a certain way, they're not gone. You know what, Mum look, or you know what, teacher, or you know what Dad look. I'm really struggling emotionally today. I'm just feeling a little bit. I ain't got some low level anings diety. I'm worried about a few things. You know, I'm not sure about Kinder. I mean, I'm heading off to Kinder and John I looked at me and poked my sandwich yesterday, you know, I mean they don't do that, right of course, So how do we know that we're interpreting their behavior? Because their behavior I mean other than play, but the way that they behave and act is a pretty good insight into at least how they're feeling. How do we become better at reading that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's really difficult, right because Yeah, in a lot of ways, right, I mean, behavior is communications. A lot of the ways you can see when a child is acting out there, struggling with something or yeah, behaviorally, you know, if they're having a bit of a meltdown or a chantrum or anything. You know that there is something underneath it. But like you said, it's also having to decode it because how it comes out isn't necessarily how it is. So for example, a child seeking connection can do so and really, you know, kind of the opposite ways. They could be pushing people away. They could be you know, the behavior kind of issues, and a lot of parents will be like, well, no, they don't really want my connection, just pushing me away. And I offered that and they said, no, go away, I don't like you. But for a lot of kids, they just you know, in those moments, they don't feel likable, and so they do push people away to kind of almost get that connection in any attention is good attention in a child's mind when they're struggling with that. So, yeah, it is really difficult to decode it. I think when parents are struggling to decode their own emotions, and I think it's really trying to understand that behind every behavior there's an unmet need and a lot of the time's behavior is really a stress response for a child. So really understanding what actually stresses out a child and what really depletes their carp and actually what fills up their cup. And I think gaining more understanding of that really comes down to actually connecting with ourselves and understanding our own needs, unmet needs behind our behavior and our inner child kind of stuff as well.
Speaker 1: Wow wow, So do we project our own shit onto our kids? Well? I mean, of course we do. That's a dumb question. But it's like we like where always So for example, I don't have kids, but let's pretend I've got a kid. So I always look at everything through the Craig window, because that's, you know, the Craig filter is the world that I have, you know, and you look through, you know, and all your education and information and awareness and knowledge, you're still looking through the sam lens, right, And so which can be I guess a positive and a negative? But you know, I think there are times when there's probably a question coming stand by who the fuck knows? It's me? But all right, here's what I want to say. This is what I've seen a fair bit of because over the years, as you may or may not know, I had multiple personal training centers. So we used to work with I would start working with a mum, and then five or ten years later, I'm working with the daughter, and then maybe another ten years later, I'm working with a granddaughter. I would work with multiple generations, and sometimes I need to be careful how I word this. But I've seen issues handed down, you know, and liviting beliefs and like even to the point with some things like with eating issues and eating disorders that almost well didn't almost they become intergenerational because one of the parents just handed down their own body dysmorphia stuff or eating issues stuff. It got obviously unintentionally but inadvertently past a lung.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this is a really tricky bit, right because you know, a lot of parents then get really fearful of this, and then they try and be perfect around it or try and hide it, and that in itself becomes an issue. So, for example, if a parent's got anxiety, right, and they start to see some kind of anxious tendencies with their child because they see that as a reflection of them, like, oh my gosh, I'm passing it down. I know I struggle with this, and my child's struggling with that, what they're going to do is they're going to again ignore it. They're going to try and act like it's not there. They're going to try and band aid fix it because they see a child's anxiety as a failure on their part, and so they'll continue to kind of mask their own in order to you know, project I mean, they'll project it on their child as well so that everyone's okay. And what I say is that there's obviously biological stuff that comes into this two nature essusn't iture. There's always going to be different elements. But when we try and put a mask on and hide the fact that we're struggling with something, kids actually struggle more because they also feel that, and then they don't really know how to put words to it. I think the best thing in those circumstance is seeing it as a bit of a superpower and going actually, I struggle with anxiety, and if my child struggles with anxiety, I'm going to have that empathy. But also I actually need to really roll model that my anxiety is really my responsibility and I'm going to get to know myself and my triggers. And so then you're role modeling that to your child. You're not trying to fix it for them. You're not trying to act like they can't be anxious or express how they feel because you keep seeing it as a reflection if you. But rather it's like, Okay, this is something I struggle with. They're going to potentially be struggling with this. But yeah, how can I kind of role model how we manage in a really healthy way. And that's really hard because ye parents see their children as reflections of themselves.
Speaker 1: I was talking to a parent the other day and they said to me, my kid is a nightmare in kinder Right. The tea not a nightmare, like a cute kid, but mayhem like chaos. Right. And the teacher, I don't know what do you call them the teacher? Do you call them teacher in kinder? I guess so can't it's a little boy. Can't get him to sit still. And I'm like, so he has like sitting still issues when everyone's sitting still, he's like a maniac. And I said, well, how old is he? And she goes three. I'm like, he's a three year old boy. I mean, what do you think he's three? It's like sit down, Nah, fuck off? I'm not sitting down. Look at that thing over there, or look at that dinosaur on the wall, or I'm going to climb up. I mean, do we have do we have silly expectations of like is it some three year olds will sit there with their legs and arms crossed and have a little nap and do a little quiet time and close their eyes, and I'm sure they'll be you know, dream students. But we can't expect the same thing from different children, can we exactly?
Speaker 2: And that's what the really hard been is it's almost like the kids that are creative and they're just really curious, they're the ones that kind of get shut down or labeled as the naughty kid at school. It's just and I think for parents to really separate that and going this environment it's just really not bringing out the best of my child or this environment is it really suited to my child, and so being able to work around that rather than see that as a reflection of their child's limitations or you know, getting too caught up in that because you're right, like a three year old's is not going to want to sit down. I mean, like I don't want to sit down for a song. And they make kids sit down in class. It's just it's a bit unrealistic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I feel like that the you know, that's just them, like there's no intention to be a bad kid. I was just looking up. There's there's a guy that I follow. His name's Tim Kennedy, and that's what it's called. It's Apage. He created these schools in the States. I'm sure there's other schools like them. It's called Apage Strong and they created this school like it's a regular school. Kids do maths and all the stuff that they do, but it's a very different style of learning. Like they do a lot of outdoor stuff. And the schools are set up on these properties, like with animals and trees and nature, and so they do very little traditional sitting on a sitting at a desk, you know, like it's all And I mean, I'm sure for some people that that model would be a nightmare. But if I reckon, I would have actually been quite a good student if I grew up in that, because for me, the tradition, the traditional model for me. And you know, I'm not saying school was the problem. I was equally the problem. Don't worry about that. But I reckon if I had been in a different model and a different environment with a different style of teaching, where you know, I wasn't forced to sit for six or eight hours a day at a desk, you know, and behave a certain way and focus on shit that didn't interest me. Yeah maybe, I mean, you know, I wasn't a terrible student, but I definitely wasn't a good student, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think that there are so many different ways that parents can foster this, even if they're not, you know, regardless of what decision they make about what school their child goes to. I think when you have that mindset, you can really help a child put the grades into perspective, but you can also put that environment into perspective where you're like, okay, we go to school, but then outside that, what are you interested in? Like, let's point in on this, let's find different ways to actually support their way of learning and their interests and their curiosity. So I think that you know, when we do that for our sales, right, we get to know our own brain and we can support children to do the same.
Speaker 1: And yeah, is perfection is I mean, I'm not a parent, you're a parent, But is there pressure. I don't know if it's real pressure or perceived pressure. If you're a parent, the other parents judge, You're like, oh, look at it, look at it. And that must be worse for you because you're a fucking doctor of this, Like this is You're meant to be the high water mark. It's like when I go out, When I go out and I'm at a restaurant and somebody that knows who I am, Not that I'm anyone, but so many people are fascinated with, Oh, what's Craig Harper eating? Right? Yeah, well you know whatever, But yeah, people are really interested in what I eat. Some people send me messages and go, can you tell me what you eat in a typical day. You know, I'm like, that is definitely not exciting. But I imagine for you you would be being observed your parenting style and your skills and your approach more than.
Speaker 2: The average definitely. And I think in general though, parents always judge on the parents, but you're right, and almost like they kind of see that as not the standard. But you know, everything gets picked apart. And I was really conscious of that because I actually, to be honest, came to parenting with that mindset of like I am so prepared, like I've read all the things, I know exactly how I want a parent, like this is awesome. And it was early until I became a parent that I was like, oh, I don't want to be like this. I don't want to feel like my child needs to be perfect so that I feel like a perfect parent, Like it's actually not working out for either one of us. And that really set me in my own personal, you know, development kind of journey because I realized actually a lot of what is preached as perfect parenting really doesn't say as a child or the parent, And I think being able to mute out that noise is really difficult. But often when you do what's right for you and your child, everyone's got something to say. And I do say this to parents. Often there is no parenting decision that is free of scrutiny. Everyone's going to be like you're too soft, you're too hard, you're too strict, you're not strict enough. Like there's always going to be those judgments out there, and so how do you start trusting your own intuition or your own judgment around those things that you are figuring it out? I mean you've never lived this life before. I neither has your child. And so I think when I've taken that approach of like that experimentation, I'm still learning about my children as they're learning about themselves, as I'm learning about myself. Like it takes the pressure of them to be kids, and also for me, like it's way more enjoyable to live life without that, you know, pressure to be perfect. But definitely, I definitely have felt those situations constantly in my parenting. Genie and I have to actively have strategies to actually block out and mute out that the noise and the judgment.
Speaker 1: What's something Sam that as a mum, right as a parent that you got wrong that you went, oh, you maybe did a one ad on your thinking or your operating system.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that was that. The behavioral Yeah, the behavioral stuff, the strategies. I thought a well behaved child was the standard, and I thought I had to be perfect and always have the perfect responses. And I've completely done one eighty of that because, to be honest, a child that looked well behaved often is a child that's suppressing stuff. Often is a child that feels like they need to be good. So that their parents can feel okay, often is a child that feels like they need to be mature beyond their years, because again, a parent seeds their child's reflections of them. So I completely did a one eighty with that and going, you know, that's not a bed and I want my child to bear like they're their own person and they're on their own journey. And I'm also on my own journey. So I think I was trying to do everything righted it's almost like that good kill condition and coming out and yeah, I completely did it one eighty and going, Actually, I want to be the opposite. I want children to know that I'm still trying to figure this out and I'm not perfect, and I'm not trying to be perfect. I'm trying to be true to myself and I'm sure learning about myself, and I want them to have the freedom to do that too. So that's really what prompted me in going on my own journey, like I can't. I can't put all my hopes and dreams onto them. I have to live my own life and that takes a lot of contention to be like, Okay, that's something I want to do, not necessarily maybe what they want to do and that's okay. I can go with my own goals and they can have their own.
Speaker 1: And yeah, that's really interesting. That's really interesting because you would have to be I think, I mean, there are certain careers and professions and directions that I think a lot of parents would like their kid to take. You know, like nobody's going to be mad when the kid becomes a doctor or very few or what. And I'm not saying that's the you know, or they like you.
Speaker 2: They people see that as a standard, right.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I'm just saying, you know, but when the kid come home and goes, you know, like for example, and this so a mentor and coach a young kid who's his goal is to be the best surfer in the world. His name's Ozzie triggwell right, shout out to oz And he's got a great mom and dad. But I'm not thinking too many mum and dads who go their kid goes when he's fifteen and they're gone. So what are you thinking about career? He goes, I want to be a professional surfer like my mum and dad would have gone. No next, you know, to be able to be well, what if your kids dream is your fucking nightmare. I mean that's and you've still got to be or you think and you think you're smarter than them, and you think, you know, you've got the wisdom. They don't have the wisdom. And they're like, yeah, but I just want to go to I want to go to Nider or whatever it's called, or Nada or Wada, whatever it's called. And I want to be and I want to in an oscar one day. I want to act in and they like, yeah, statistically fucking no chance. But I mean those things, I would imagine that's challenging when your kid wants something that you don't think is a good idea.
Speaker 2: Oh and that's really like the difficult bit, right because of course you know that's the instinct right of trying to protect your child from harm or go no, like this is you don't see this bit and trying to give all that advice. But I feel like from living my own life in such a well I would say courageous way, like really having to do things differently to what I thought I would do, I realized the power of experience. No matter how much someone told me something, I actually have to go through my own experiences and figure it out for myself. And so I see that as that goal. Like, for example, when I wanted to leave school at fifteen, you know my parents, I mean they said yes to that, and they signed off on it. But if I did if they said no, I would have been resentful. I would have pepsley, probably continued to do about it school. I would have acted out all of that stuff. But because they said yes, I was able to actually try out hairdressing, which I realized wasn't my thing, and then I was able to kind of figure out a way right where this led me to, you know, my really fulfilling career in play therapy. So I realized that no one could have told me that or tried to steam me away from that. I really wanted to go through my own experiences. And so I think when I have, you know, my children reached out stage, it's going to have to be this balance of being really authentic and honest about maybe how I feel about it, but then also going ultimately this is your life, like Noah, like You're going to have to make these decisions and not be there to say I told you so, but rather help them navigate that. When inevitably things don't really work out how you know we've planned out. But it's that that's part of human nature.
Speaker 1: Right, I reckon you are a unicorn, But I love I love that, Like how many kids went to their mum and dad or how many girls, well boys, I guess boys can go to be hairdressers, but how many kids at fifteen when I want to leave school and I'm going to go be a hairdresser and the mum and dad go okay, And then you do that and then eventually you end up being a PhD graduate and your doctor Sam Casey, and you're talking to on a podcast to people all over the world and you're now an expert in if it's like, oh, she just ended up in the right place anyway, And if, like you said, if mom and dad had to or try to suppress that, it might have you might not have ended up where you ended up. It would have been a terrible outcome, but.
Speaker 2: With good intentions. And that's why I kind of realized at school, right, it's all the external reinforcement like get the grades, or teachers telling you should be doing this and this is what's wrong with you, and this is what and It's almost like I couldn't hear my own voice, and when I was left to, I would say, my own device is of having to figure it out. That's where that internal reinforcement came in, and I was able to develop that self discipline because there was no one else telling me I had to do this right. No one else was telling me this is signing STUW and you're going to like I had to figure this out for myself. So I feel like we're so scared to kind of let the penny drop or to let things fall into place by natural fact, children will never develop their own resources and their own strengths and their own internal compass if we don't do that. So it is this really tricky balance, right, And a lot of our fears and a lot of our projections are coming out because all we see from our own conditioning, our own childhood conditioning, is what could go wrong. We really don't see what could go right, and that's the problem. We're waiting for things to go wrong and be like I told you, so, I saw this kind of thing. I knew this was going to happen, and then the child starts to feel really crap about themselves because they didn't see that rather than going this is actually just part of the process. Cool, that didn't work, all right, what are we going to do now? Like, let's keep going? And so the issue never really is sometimes that first decision. It's the fact that children will a decision against their parents maybe you know, decision or whatever they think, and then it won't go right, and then the parents are like, see, I told you now, I should be the one making decisions, and this is what then kind of chips them away. So I feel like the more that we can normalize this journey of life of just figuring it out, the more kids will be able to get back on track quicker.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a real interesting what's the word balancing act? I think in terms of how much do we let our kids get their hands dirty? I guess there's a lot of variables. What age, you know, are they four, are they fourteen? It's different how much uncertainty do we let them be in the middle of discomfort? Like when do we intervene? When do we stand back? Because you know, all of us, nobody wants weak kids. Nobody wants kids who can't cope, Nobody wants kids who can't deal with life of course, of course, so in an ideal world, we'd go, wou do you want your kids to be mentally and emotionally sound and resilient and able to deal with hard stuff and the messiness and unfairness of life because it's coming right And then they most people would go, yeah, I want them to be resilient and capable. But then in order to build resilience and capability and adaptability and competence and confidence, we can't put them in fucking cotton wool for twenty years.
Speaker 2: That's the hardest fit, right, And also what is our definition of resilience? Because a lot of the time as well, you know, we could see resiliences as showing up and continue to do the thing. But the moment that said the child is struggling with something, parents like, see, you're not resilient, like so I think it's also us getting in check with Okay, how resilient are we when our child doesn't do what we want or isn't showing the attributes that we like in the traits that we like? Like, how do we manage that? And I think the more that we can see ourselves as we're actually really fully only responsible for our steps. I mean, of course we're responsible for our child, but in that moment, we don't control their responses. And so for us to really get clear and are we doing great things with our life, so we, you know, are being able to practice that resilience. And I think the more that we realize again we can internally kind of like cultivate this, the more I think it will give them the examples to be able to do that for themselves.
Speaker 1: What do you think are the biggest fears that parents have about all their kids? Other than physical safety, let's take that off the table, but like, what are the things that parents really worry about about their children? Like, I don't know the I don't even have a clue to the answer to this.
Speaker 2: Trauma. I would say that they're going to mess up their child, that they're going to traumatize their child, that they're going to repeat generational patterns.
Speaker 1: Right, So you think that Okay, So if I was a nightmare with something, or I had trauma, or I had certain issues that I'm going to say, how hand that down to my kid or kids?
Speaker 2: I think that could well. I feel like that's one of the biggest fears that parents have, that anything they do is going to mess up their child or that they're going to traumatize their child, and so they kind of overthink everything right and try and be perfect because they don't want to harm their child emotionally.
Speaker 1: Can I ask you have a daughter?
Speaker 2: Right? Yes?
Speaker 1: How old is she? Now?
Speaker 2: She's seven?
Speaker 1: So this is very difficult, but can you compare seven year old you to seven year old her? Like what's similar and what's totally dissimilar? Like can you see anything?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny actually because my dad, you know, comments on that. He was like, before the world got to you, you were exactly like her. So my daughter's very I would say, strong will. She knows what she wants. She you know, definitely kind of goes to the own beat of her own drums. Like she is the opposite I guess for people pleaser, right, she says, but she's on her mind. She says what she thinks. And when I look back at how I was at seven, it was definitely a part of me where I was like that, but I wasn't like that as often. I very much had that good girl conditioning where my parents were out at that time. You know, they were in that too, you know, my dad was trying to be the perfect dad, so you know, I was again being that perfect child. So yeah, there's definitely similarities if I feel like that that power that you know, that her knowing who she is and what she wants and not afraid to say it, and that perseverance and the determination. But the difference is is the parenting too, because I didn't have you know, the Yeah, I guse my parents weren't really aware of that at that time, right, Oh, this is something we want to foster, and it was about back then.
Speaker 1: Either I feel sometimes I was talking to someone I won't say his name, but a guess that was on the show. Yeah, let's just say in the last year, right, a guy and we're talking off air, and he was telling me about his childhood and he was raised by i'll just say a parent. The other parent was out of the picture quite early, and the one parent that raised him was quite mentally unwell, and so by the time he was twelve, it was like he was the parent, right, he was protective of his parent, but he was he was like the man of the house and you know, doing everything from shopping and washing and dishes to getting his parent their medication and some days the parent would be flying and amazing, and then they wouldn't get out of bed for three days. And so like a very difficult situation, a genuinely difficult situation. But like, tell me about that, Tell me about kids who shouldn't have to but I mean, situationally, it seems like they have to be older than their years. Sometimes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so this is you know, there's always dynamics in every family, and sometimes, like you said, you know, they could be a parent with the chronic illness, and so children are having to take on a lot more of a load than they normally would. And I think what's really more common and probably harder to see is taking on the emotional load more than they should around parents that you know, again see their children's reflection of them, or really rely on their children emotionally because they feel like they're giving everything and they don't really have other sources to get that back. So for example, they a child picks up on when their parents falls apart, when they when the child has a bad day or they're struggling, or they're anxious. And so children then learn to be like, Okay, well I'll be good and I'll be easy and I will be you know, still with the flow and I'm okay, I'm okay because they want you to be okay. And so that I feel like is actually more common and happens a lot more undetected because you know, parents praise that my child's so easy going, like literally like they're so chill and it's great, Like they're so mature, and they expect children at a young age to not be you know, immature, and to be able to follow instructions and to do all the things and to have really appropriate emotional responses to things, and they don't really realize that children, I mean, their brains are still forming. But children are very good at doing what they need to do to survive. And when I say to survive, it's to get the love and the praise and the exceptions that they need. And so a lot of the time children will play that role of being responsible and mature and all of that in order to get that praise and that love and exceptions for their parents. But once it ends up happening is that they've actually missed some really crucial developmental stages being a child right and having that load, and that does impact them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, do you think that I think in the other day that kids and I could be wrong on this, but I feel like kids are more scared now than when I was a kid. Like there's a lot more fear about a million things now. Admitted I grew up in the country. Life was pretty simple. Life was pretty easy. It's like it wasn't a complicated existence. There are so many move It seems like there are so many moving parts in a ten year old's life now. Like in mind, it was like, hey, is there food good? I love food. Let's eat that in school and let's kick a footy and let's ride my bike. Yeah, and let's be home by dark the end. Right, It seemed like and maybe this is an old fuck with reflecting, but it seemed like a really a much simpler time. And it seems like to me and I could be wrong, but there was just a lot less things to worry about. Do you think kids are more fifful now than they were a generation or two go or it's just me.
Speaker 2: But so when you think about it too, right, a lot of like you know, a lot of parents and stain how the villageous support like they did a few generations back. Everything feels like there it's on their shoulders, and so they're trying to be all the all the things all the time, right to their children. So I think you know that anxiety is all around. It's the parents, the kids. It's the pressure as well that anything that they do can come back on them and it's their fault.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, wow, And just with your own stuff. Like you know, so you you left school early, you went on this journey, you ended up in academia. Do you do you still like how do you stay how do you stay up front of what's happening in the space, Like you know, you did your degree, you got your doctorate, you've got your PhD. Are you still researching? Are you still studying? I don't mean formally, but you must. You must need to kind of keep up with what is happening in the space so you can do exactly what you're doing right now rightly.
Speaker 2: And I yeah, I'm always going to be like that because I'm always so curious. But I think for me what the key is is most general articles I read I do not understand, like first go, I just think it's so worthy and so in like a different language. And so what I try and do is do I how would I simplify this, How would I explain this in like one sentence, or how would I explain this in such an easier way? And so for me, I really challenge you rights to continue to be up to date with research, but also to be like, how can this info get out? Because a lot of the time, right university is are pumping out research, but it never really you know, everything kind of looks really good on paper, but I feel like we kind of missed that gap between research and the practical application of it. And that's what I really try and do with paprescription. It's like, how do we take research and actually put it into practice and make this really easy to access because yeah, a lot of the time we just don't have that in the in the middle there one.
Speaker 1: Hundred percent agree. It's like with my research, and I mean, we need research, we need science course And I always say to people like my my research is like studying a drop of water for five years in an ocean of human behavior, Right, it's such a specific thing. But the chasm between theoretical human behavior and psychology and understanding certain whatever habits, behaviors, traits, actions, and then life at the coal face with humans. You know, my job has been for decades working with humans one on one in a three D kind of space, not a virtual space where you're looking at you're looking at someone's face and body and body language and movement and biomechanics, and you're feeling their emotions in their mind and you're it's like, it doesn't it doesn't always cross over like the research and the outcomes in inverted commas, and the alleged science doesn't or isn't always supported in the real world, especially with psychology.
Speaker 2: Oh definitely. And I see this all the time, to be honest, when I work with schools and they've got these perfect plans, behavior management plans in place, and it's all research based and based on some training that they did, but so unpractical and it doesn't often really survive first contact with the child. And so I just don't think that there is enough processes and plates to then go we need to reflect on this and what is not working. Can we actually be honest about how this is not translating into practice and what our own barriers are around that, and then how do we readjust to reassess and keep tweaking it to be able to continue right, to make propriss on that track. And I feel like it's missing a lot because we kind of think, oh, no, this is research based, and you know, this has got all the things that should and then it should work, but it doesn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I saw this thing the other day that somebody said, somebody was on banging on about Oh they did this research with it doesn't matter why it was about, but it was about women and weight loss or women and body composition, you know. I went, oh, that doesn't really sound legitimate. And they were talking about this research, this research. So I did a I'm like, where's the I want to see the research. I want to see the paper. I want to see the abstract. I want to see the discussion. I want to see you know what they did, right, there was fourteen people in the study. I'm like, this is not science, this is not indicative. This is and it went for eight weeks, eight weeks, fourteen people. I'm like, this is ridiculous, you know, and then they're so then they're taking this very small, very limited, very high risk of bias. The highest risk, right, generally risk of bias is even anything under one hundred is like, a's no good right, Well, it's not regarded right, So this is fourteen people, and I'm like, oh, well, and then people get on and go this research was done with women, no, not concerned nevatively four million women at billion women in the world, give all take, and you did something with fourteen and then you're trying to generalize that two billions of people. It's so fucking misleading and untrue and uh, you know, what's the word inappropriate? What's the word unethical? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And how often does that happen? And I think then we overrely on research without also then actually going is this working for me? Like I feel like this we've said mindful drawing, right, and I'm sure there's research around the mindfulness stuff, and you know, when you're stressed, I've never found that word for me, to be honest. If anything, I will trip up the paper and throw it away and go do some exercise. So I feel like we also then when we catch onto things, but it's research base, we don't actually look at our own kind of like what's our own feedback kind of loop around this and how do we see if it works for us? Because a lot of the time you can find conflicting research too you know, this is how you should parent, but also this is how you can pare it. And so when you get caught up on that, it's like, ultimately you still have to make the decision. We can try and understand what the research says about it, but we need to figure out all works for us too.
Speaker 1: Oh and also yeah, one hundred percent. But your body is its own intelligence. Your brain, your nervous system, you're around all the bio feedback, all of that, everything that your body is telling you and your subconscious mind is pretty fucking smart. And you know, it's like there's a lot of data that we have access to constantly that we do not really we don't pay attention to or we don't understand it, you know. And I think it's like when people talk to me about food or exercise or sleeper that I go, what's your body telling you? And they're like what, I go, what's your body saying? And then I asked them and they're like, oh, I go. Like, all the information or a lot of the information you need, you already have. And it's not because you heard it or read it. It's because your body's telling you that you're dehydrated or you're under slept or you don't need enough fiber, or you don't move enough, or you sit too much, or you know that that kiphosis, that chaithhotic posture, that you've got, that hunchy back, those rolling forward shoulders, that those chronic headaches. It's like, yeah, there's lots of signs that lots of stuff could be going on.
Speaker 2: That was a perfect example about the dehydration. Because of that, you can riddle the research around. We need to drink water and stay hydrated, but if we don't understand or in queues around, you know, when we're not, it's really hard.
Speaker 1: That's right. Yeah, did you we look like Passiona? You probably need some water.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Sorry to wind you up, but we've got to go. But tell people how they can connect with you, find you, follow you and reach out.
Speaker 2: Yep, I'm on Instagram's where I'm am most so Dr Sam Casey or my website which is www dot dottor samcc dot com.
Speaker 1: You're the best and we'll see you in a month. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Good, no worry. Thanks great