Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Thursday, June eleven, twenty twenty six. Taxpayers are facing a multi million dollar compensation bill for foreign born criminals who were held unlawnfully in indefinite immigration detention. That's after a fresh High Court ruling that's slammed the Commonwealth's handling of the so called NZYQ case. That's the kind of story that sends frustrated voters fleeing to the arms of One Nation, which, despite its simplistic policies and chaotic politics, is now showing up in polls as Australia's most popular party, fueled by discontent about migration and the economy and distrust of the major parties. Today, The Australian's revealing a senior Liberal figure saying the mainstream conservative parties should team up with one Nation on strategy. Is that a good idea? I'm about to ask our chief political correspondent, Greg Brown. Stay with us. Greg Brown is The Australian's chief political correspondent and I've asked him on the show to explain the thorniest question of all in Australian politics right now? What is really fueling the rise of One Nation polling from somewhere around six percent at the time of the last election to thirty one percent now going past all the other political parties in terms of primary vote. Greg what's going on?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, truly was our bombshell news poll to show that One Nation is now the most popular political party in Australia. Who would have thought even twelve months ago that that was possible. I think clearly there's been growing anxiety about politics in Australia for a while now the Bondai terror attacks or One Nation's primary vote spike massively after that, and I think the has seen more people upset with Labor, and I think what's really worrying for the Coalition is they're not willing to change their vote from Labor to the Coalition. They're going from Labor to One Nation.
Speaker 1: The majority of voters believe politics is due for a shakeup. Gee, they're in trouble. They're really in trouble, aren't They.
Speaker 3: Were polling are over Labor and they're over the Coalition.
Speaker 2: And I think unbelievably we've actually seen the coalition's primary vote come down since the budget, so that should be a sign of desperation for the Liberal Party and if it's not for people that aren't deeply worried about that, and then I'd say there's an element of delusion.
Speaker 1: It's interesting, I think to look at what Barnaby Joyce says about this. Barnaby is the former Nationals MP who defected to One Nation in December, coincidentally about the same time as their numbers started going up. But Barnaby Joyce says that the Bondai terror attack and the return of the ISIS brides from the Middle East are a big part of this story fueling Australians' concerns about how the major parties are handling things.
Speaker 2: We don't believe in multiculturalism in my nation. We believe in Australian culture.
Speaker 1: The undertone there is that there's an anxiety about migration in Australia that some voters feel that only paul In Hanson can address. What do you think about that.
Speaker 2: I'm of the view that it's all very relevant. I think you've seen people on both sides deny the other. Particularly we're seeing with the Labor Party and people from the left, they're denying that migration is part of it. They're saying it's all economic factors, and people when they're angry they're not getting ahead. They look at migrants and that's when they become angry. Where is if their own lives are going well, they wouldn't be doing that. I think that is absolutely a major factor. But I also think there is an anxiety in the community that's been bubbling for a long period of time, and now people feel fed up that they feel like multiculturalism, rightly or wrongly, they feel multiculturalism is not working for them. I personally have sympathy for the Coalition going hard on migration and things like welfare for non citizens, because you can't just look at what's going on with the community anxiety and just ignore it all. So I have sympathy for that. But equally, I think the pathway forward for the Coalition is economic credibility and real cut through, and that's what we're really struggling to see at the moment.
Speaker 1: Angus Taylor is really trying to make that connection and identify himself with that connection. In terms of his budget and reply speech, he explicitly connects did migration levels to the uplift in housing supply basically saying, you know, you can only bring in as many migrants as you have homes for, and you can only do that if you're ensuring that Australians themselves have the capacity to buy homes.
Speaker 3: Mass migration is changing Australia. For the words, the number of people coming in far exceeds the number of houses built. Consequently, the great Australian dream of home ownership is vanishing for old and new Australians alike.
Speaker 1: So why isn't that working for him?
Speaker 2: So I think there's a couple of elements to it. Some people say that if the Coalition talk about these things too much, they're talking about one nation issues and therefore it people say, well, why would I have the half baked thing when I can have the real thing. Taylor is mainly struggling for cut through. I mean he came out with a big tax policy post budget of indexation. It's actually a really complex one to explain to the electorate. I mean, I think if you spoke to a lot of punters out there about things like Bracker creep and indexation and whatnot, then I think people wild struggle to understand some of these concepts.
Speaker 3: And that's what we are proposing more homes, capping homes to capping migration to homes, and cheaper energy whilst we put Australians first. That is the plan that we've laid out for Australians.
Speaker 2: So it will really take two years to sell this major tax policy, and it feels like they kind of announced it and then it's not the first thing they talk about all the time when it needs to be. So I think that their economic sales pitch has been quite messy and now we're seeing the biggest excuses of all excuses, Claire, that I've heard in my I've been in Parliament House for nine years now. For Angus Taylor to have blamed Labor for his declining poll numbers for the Coalition's primary falling to an equal record low of eighteen percent, which is the number they used to justify rolling Susan Lee. He said, oh, well, that's just because Labor delivered a bad budget and they're viewing Labor and the Coalition is the same, so we got hit by that bad budget as well. It's not only a logical but it's really sioky and for a party of personal responsibility to be blaming your political opponent I mean one Liberal MP did mention it's like KFC blaming McDonald's for bad sales.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can imagine Anthony Albanezi enjoyed that analogy quite a lot.
Speaker 2: Ah, it was just it does really raise questions about whether Angus Taylor is in the frame of mind he needs to be in to tackle I think the greatest challenge the Liberal Party has faced. He's not a naturally charismatic politician. That doesn't rule you out of being Prime minister, but he's got to work for it. He's got to fight for it. He's got to be in the media every day, he's got to be doing far more than what he is now. He does seem to be a little bit entitled.
Speaker 1: They have on their side an absolute expert opposition leader in Tony Abbott. He was probably one of the most effective opposition leaders Australia has ever seen. Whether he was effective as Prime minister is another question. Now he's the federal President of the Liberal Party and I was intrigued greg to see that Tony Abbott, who really made it his business when he was in Parliament to identify one Nation as an existential threat to the center right parties. The mainstream center right coalition parties. He was very clear throughout his career that one nation was the enemy. In fact, he raised funds to defeat one nation separately from his own activities as opposition leader. He's now endorsing the idea though, of the coalition doing preference deals with one nation. Now that changes the game completely, doesn't it? Because the accepted wisdom in Australia is that our two party proferential voting system and effectively means that one nation can never govern and can never get the number of seats they need to get them anywhere close to the front benches. What is going on there?
Speaker 2: Well, this is highly contentious within the Liberal Party for a number of reasons. A. Some people don't feel that the Liberal Party and the Coalition should be working with one nation. That's one point. But another point is why are we telegraphing this two years out from an election? How is that a good strategy. Surely we should keep saying that we can stand on our own two feet until the very moment we decide we need to do a deal. But there are other Liberal MP's, and we have in the Australian on Thursday, Tony Passon, who is a key supporter of Angus Taylor. He is supporting the idea of one nation and the coalition discussing what candidates run where you know, who runs against labor and even getting into that sort of granular level of detail. So there definitely is a view that Abbott is a part of that reality is they need to work together to chuck labor out. But that definitely isn't unanimous and it's highly contentious.
Speaker 1: Something that the coalition parties I think have always taken comfort from is that one nation is a bit of a rabble and their policies are very simplistic. You know, so they have ideas like income splitting or opposing vaccine mandates. If let's say, hypothetically the Coalition was to form some form of new coalition with one nation, how far would those ideas be able to get? You know, would the deal involve having to do some of these things that one nation wants?
Speaker 2: Well, I guess if Paul Enhancement's popularity keeps increasing, maybe she'll have to say of how far the deal goes more than what the Liberal Party or the Nationals would. But yeah, I think this is all very much to play out. And the other thing that worries me a bit, Claire from the coalition side of things is this idea that they can't bag Pauline, which is ridiculous. I mean, sure, at the moment when she is very popular, people won't like it when you criticize her. And we're not talking about criticizing her supporters all their anxieties. We're talking about criticizing her and the way she goes about things. But what you've got to do is, over time, over months and years, keep doing it, keep plugging away at it, and then eventually voters can see your points that they've got all these policies out there that haven't bothered to cost any of them. They don't really know the true impact of what they're proposing, and fundamentally they are about appealing to people's grievances rather than solutions. They're starting to get quite sensitive about this label, but they're yet to show otherwise that they have solutions to actually improve people's lives.
Speaker 1: It's interesting that idea of not attacking Pauline isn't it because Pauline. It doesn't play nice And.
Speaker 3: I felt sorry for the people of Victoria, and that's how they feel about Jasenda Allen because of what she's done to that state, no wonder they call her a witch.
Speaker 1: She is starting fights simultaneously with Jacinta Allen, the Victorian Premier, with Fatima Payman, the Senator, who she says shouldn't be sitting in parliament anyway because she's a dual citizen. She's even picked a fight with the late Tim Fisher, a venerated hero of the National Party, saying that he once said that she was a witch who should be burned at the stake. I mean, I suspect that is something that Tim Fisher's family would strongly disagree that he ever said, or maybe those whoys have been taken out of context. She has never bothered with pretending to like anyone else in politics, has she She's.
Speaker 2: Never bothered being polite to anyone else.
Speaker 3: Know.
Speaker 2: And she even had to go I listened back to a podcast she did with Carl Stefanovic at the beginning of the year, and she had to go at Anthony Alberici's mother for living in social life for as long as she did. You know, she said she should have just had it for a short period of time. So she goes even after people's mothers. But this idea that listen, I don't doubt that when they have a bit of a crack at Pauline and her policies and the way she goes about things that right now where we're sitting in June of twenty twenty six, it goes down like a lead balloon among the voters they're trying to win back. But my point is they can't just say, oh, well, we'll stop doing that, because then she gets a free run. In my view, that would actually in the long term be counterproductive. If they stick at holding her to account and that playing out poorly in the short term, I think it enables them to take bark off her, continue taking bark off her where they get to the extent that when there's an election due in less than two years now that you know the public may be more uncertain about her.
Speaker 1: Does angers Taylor have the guts to do that.
Speaker 2: It's not appearing at this stage that he's willing to go down that track. And you know, he was very supportive of Tony Abbott becoming Liberal Party president. So I haven't been able to establish this. But given that Tony Passon is saying what he's saying, and he is a big supporter of Angus Taylor. Given that Tony Abbott is saying what he's saying, I think it will be a fair assumption that Angus Taylor is at least very open to working with one nation in some sort of coordinated way to campaign against the Labor Party. So, based on the evidence that we've seen so far, you would think that that's not the route he's going down.
Speaker 1: Greg Brown, thank you very much, Thanks Claire. Greg Brown is The Australian's chief political correspondent. You can read all his reporting, plus the best of politics, anytime at the Australian dot com dot au