Speaker 1: Approche production. Over the last ten episodes, we've explored what might have happened to my uncle Dez, who went missing more than forty years ago while working on a road roller just north of Broome. We have had so many people reach out with theories and contacts. The police have been helpful, my family has been supportive while excited to see what else we could learn, and we've had an excellent response from you. We have always believed that by spreading this story we might find some answers or at least inspire some action. Finally, that has happened. You'll remember when we first spoke to Jude Severright from the police, she mentioned the slow process on a coroner's inquest for des In forty years, no inquest was ever done.
Speaker 2: So I don't believe that this has gone to the coroner. So we are going through all our a number of our long term missing person's cases that haven't haven't been to the kinnery and putting those forwards to close the case from a legal sense, but still it will always remain on our books as a case because that person has never been found.
Speaker 1: Well, after ten episodes and hundreds of thousands of listens, I finally got an email while in im meeting at work. It was from the Missing Person's Department in wa and it read, darj, I'm finalizing my report for the coroner in relation to long term missing person Desmond car I know that you've been in contact with Detective Sergeant sev Wright, and I was hoping you could help me with a couple of questions. I note that both as DES's parents and his sister Gwen are deceased, who would be the next of kin? I require this information for my report, as the coroner will write to the next of kin with her ruling. Also, do you know DES's mother's maiden name? I needed to call mom, firstly because they'd recently moved so I don't have her address, and secondly because I can't remember my grandma's maiden name. And finally, I wanted to break the news that she should expect a report from the coroner shortly. This is what we've all been waiting for. Hello, Hey, Mom, it's me.
Speaker 3: Hey, I how are you good?
Speaker 4: Hang?
Speaker 1: I love or to turn it up? Yeah, what's going on? What's going on?
Speaker 4: We're just having a little lay.
Speaker 1: Down so you'll remember that over forty years Uncle Daz. We've never actually had a coroner's inquest. You know that, don't you not?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 1: Love? No, no, well, I've just had news from the police because they wanted your details. They're finally doing a coroner's report. You did all this? Yeah, well the podcast helped do it, didn't it. Yeah that's true. Yeah, So if you're okay, I've given them your home address, which why asked for it the other day, and I've also given them your phone number. Yeah, that's fine. So what will happen now is the police will the coroner will make a finding on what they believe happened to Uncle Dez, and then they will send you that report.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, oh love me, okay, thank you that you've done a very good job. Love.
Speaker 1: So that's good news, I reckon.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and.
Speaker 1: Thank you to you too.
Speaker 2: You know, taken time and effort to to do it. Now.
Speaker 1: I don't know how Mum felt about this information. I also know that Mum would take a little bit of time to process the information. I'm worried for her. She's going to get a letter from the coroner with a finding about her only brother's disappearance. It feels kind of impersonal and a little bit harsh to send a letter as opposed to a phone call or a meeting. But I'm guessing it's just a process. I know this because my cousin Michelle actually emailed me a letter that was sent to the family on October four, nineteen seventy nine, after they inquired about a possible sighting.
Speaker 5: Dear Madam, in reply to your letter dated twenty fifth of September nineteen seventy nine, concerning information about your brother Desmond Carr, I wish to advise that, unfortunately we are unable to forward official departmental documents. However, the following information may be of some assistance to your inquiry. A telex message was received from Broom Police on the twenty first of September nineteen seventy nine, stating that a person who might be Desmond Karr was believed to be cited at one arm Point, an Aboriginal settlement two hundred kilometers north of Broom. However, subsequent inquiries by Broom Police who have visited the settlement found the report to be incorrect, and the person's residing there stated.
Speaker 1: As I said earlier, it's kind of impersonal, but with over two thousand long term missing persons and only a handful of missing persons specialists in WA. I guess it is just a process. Either way, I know it will help our family find some closure. Here's the questions we need to know about the report. Will it have a finding on the body that was found in Newman and once all eliminate that as a possible connection to Dez. Will it confirm Peter's sighting of Dez the weekend after he was reported missing or will this also not be part of the coroner's report? And also, what do the police think happened to my uncle? This is not the only coronial inquest on my mind. You may have heard that we released a new podcast which chronicles the disappearance of a young man in New South Wales only three years ago. His name was Zach Barnes, and his mum, Karen, is also desperate to ensure her coronial inquest offers up some answers.
Speaker 6: Where my understanding is at this point is we're going to request a coronial inquest. There's no guarantee that will be granted one, so we could pushing for all of this and the coroner has the power to say we don't think it warrants one and we'll be going to the High Court to demand one. Hopefully that won't happen. I think we've got enough exposure that the coroner might say we need to knit this in the butt sort of thing.
Speaker 1: That podcast is called What Happened to Zack and it's available now wherever you're listening to this podcast. I thought I would try Detective Jude sev Wright to see if she found any answers before mum receives the report in the mail. If I could give Mum and the family a bit of a heads up before she receives the letter, that feels like the right thing to do.
Speaker 2: Good afterday missing Persons, Judu right speaking Hello.
Speaker 1: Jude, it's Jay walkin and how are you going?
Speaker 4: Hey?
Speaker 2: Good and good sayings? How things with you?
Speaker 1: Well? Really good? After hearing from your one of your people that the coroner's report is heading our way shortly, I.
Speaker 2: Guess yep, it's off there today.
Speaker 1: So Jude tell me the process again. Remind me what the process was for a coroner report.
Speaker 2: Well, the police files been examined and the information that held within the file has resulted in a report to the coroner where the coroner will make a determination in relation to whether Dares is likely to be deceased or not, and also the circumstances surrounding that.
Speaker 1: And so thank you because I know this is something that we spoke about in the first ever episode of this podcast, which if I can recall, it was about back in the day. These were all paper files and you were in the process of moving all of those into a digital format, which was then obviously transferred to the coroner. Is that right? Is that what I recall?
Speaker 2: Yes, I have been transferred into more of an electronic format, and then also all of that information has been compiled and forward onto the coroner.
Speaker 1: So there's a couple of questions that you may or may not be able to answer, but one of them I know the families interested in is that body and Newman would that form part of the report.
Speaker 2: To the in relation to all of these long term missing persons and they'll unidentified human remains in the process of reconciling those two to ensure that we can hopefully identify all our unidentified human remains. So that's a process that's in consultation with ourselves, obviously the coroner and the state mortuary. So all working together to hopefully identify these outstanding remains and maybe bring some closure to family.
Speaker 1: And I guess the only other question that was sort of outstanding was whether there would need to be a DNA sample, But I guess you can't know that until you understand who the remains were.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's right. So we'll look at all the circumstances surrounding the remains that have been found in the different cases, and if we believe that the DNA sample front family may help the case, then we will try and source he samples.
Speaker 1: You may recall Kylie Ann Connolly, Peter Connolly's daughter, who's offered to help. She had created a poster which is placing up around noticeboards in Derby and Broom. This might feel a little archaic, but in a town like Broom, where people who were growing up in nineteen seventy nine are now much older and might not know what a podcast is, it might help. Kylie Ann and her dad Peter, also offered to check on the memorial cross that was placed by the road about a year after DES's disappearance. They did, and unfortunately this cross is no longer there. Finally, Kylie Anne put us in contact with John Gray, who was working with des at Thango at the time of his disappearance. Could he have sancers?
Speaker 6: This is John Gray a message for Latrecia or myself.
Speaker 1: So we left the message for John and we'll leave our chat with John to the next episode. In the meantime, our next step is to find out what the coroner's report says when it officially lands in Mum's letterbox. It's a painful way, but no more painful for my mum and family than the last forty years of not knowing. It's been over a year since I released the last episode of this podcast, and so much has happened in our world. Although the world's moving fast, in the world of my missing uncle Daz, the world has not moved as quick. You might recall in the last few episodes that a coroner's report had begun into the disappearance of my uncle. There was also DNA being taken by police for my mum and my Auntie Joy. This was to have a familiar DNA with the body that was found in human Mum's dementia has progressed and although her long term memory is strong, a short term memory is not very good. Over the past twelve months. I've been in regular contact with my cousin Michelle, whose mum Gwen, led the search for our missing uncle before she passed in July twenty twenty, in the midst of COVID nineteen. Michelle called me to update on some information.
Speaker 3: Hi, Hija Michelle, How are you?
Speaker 1: Oh, Hi Michelle, how are you?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Not too bad, not too bad. Just bringing to update you on some information. Last week, any joy, if one enjoy was listening to the radio and you heard something mentioned about an inquest missing persons Desmond car and she only caught the end of it. Was on the ABC news on the radio. So she was bit rattled by it and thought what's going on? So she rang me and told me about it. I tried to find the broadcast and re listen, but I couldn't find it, OK, And I listened to the next one news. There was nothing on there.
Speaker 1: I was lucky enough to do some digging and have a few contacts at the ABC, so I was able to track down that news report on the local ABC station that my Auntie Joy was listening to. Police have asked the state coroner to review the cases of two missing men and the Kimberley. Desmond Carr was last seen by his main Roads coworkers in August nineteen seventy four when they dropped him at a job south of Broom. When they came back, his steamroller was still running, but there was no trace of the thirty eight year old Rollie Nixon went missing from Fitzroy Crossing in twenty eighteen. It's pretty amazing that at the exact moment my Auntie Joy was listening to the radio, she thought she overheard something about her missing brother. Now you might be thinking how terrible that DES's sister heard about the coroner's report on the radio and not from police, But my cousin Michelle explained why that was the case. She ran police to inquire about the radio.
Speaker 3: News report, decided to give a call to the coroner's office in first and got put through absolutely lovely, lovely people, very very helpful. So it got put through to A Lyell, who's the nact. He's the police sergeant there, and he also said there was an officer, Craig Robinson's that would also be dealing with the case. So Craig gave me a fullback, really lovely, lovely chap and I told him who I was, and then he just sort of said, I'm so glad you called that they didn't have any record of the downy person. They had was any shell walkden on as far as any sort of contact on his desk. Bearing in mind he said, this is all just landed on his desk, but he's quite new to it all, so he sort of ran through a few things to him. I got down a whole heap of information just stop points on any injuries and that sends it off to him, and he invited me in to come in and have a chat. So I sent a couple of hours in there this morning having a talk to him. Very very helpful, very open. He's been dealing with a few of the missing persons long term cases. It felt very comfortable sitting there, which was nice. Wow, And wasn't wasn't rushed. He just handed me the file and just said go through it, explained a few things in it, and just said let me know what you think. Anything you can add. He didn't have your contact details, he had I had given him the heads up and he did listen to the podcast, so he had listened to the podcast and he just thought it was great. But it's so good to have this avenue as well for information.
Speaker 1: So we finally have a police officer who's working with the state carner to prepare a report so that they can establish what happened to my uncle. Michelle's more than happy with how her time went with Senior Constable robertson.
Speaker 3: Where they're at. They're still probably hasn't got to the inquest stage apparently, but it's landed on them to be going through. It still sounded like it could be a long way off. There was also talk of that body that they found in Newman. I questioned that, and I also brought up about my concerns about it. That's probably doing some DNA testing on either an Enjoy or any show. I sort of feel like that's something we should I would feel more comfortable with sitting there ready to go, if not for an hour for later on, Michelle gave.
Speaker 1: Me the police officer's details, so I emailed him in hope to try and get some time with him to find out the progress of my uncle's case and to see if there was anything else he could update me on. Of course, I also wanted to record this update to use it on the podcast, but as Craig explained in his email return, he's not just a police officer, He's an officer of the court and that might undermine the authority of the coroner. We agreed to have a chat on the phone with the recording devices switched off. My chat with Officer Robinson went well. He was friendly and helpful and explain where he was at with my uncle's file. Michelle was also able to give me an update on how her initial chat with Officer Robinson went.
Speaker 3: It was it was very positive today. I just sort of and as I tried to explain to him, we're not after blame. He We're not after things weren't done right. I mean, forty years ago things were done differently to now. But we are hoping for some cloth and some information. We're able to hisoryesod in any broken bones that Uncle Dares had had and stuff, which was great that thankfully Grandma you've kept She kept all the records of everything, so we were able to concern that he had had a broken nose play in his cheek. He also just dealt with when uncle isn't missing the Pearl diver, okay, missing him. He's actually just dealt with that case, so he knows how things were in Broom. There seemed to be a lot of detailed information, so hopefully if you get over here anytime, you would be more than welcome to going there to have a look through the folder.
Speaker 1: COVID nineteen has put a stop to me going anywhere near wa to see those files or my parents and my brothers, but there were a few things that were interesting to me. One of those interesting points was the fact that my uncle had a broken nye and a metal plate in his head, so if there were any bones found like the ones in Newman, then it would be an easy enough task to discount them if the two things didn't match up. The senior Constable also investigated the missing Pearl diver in Broom a few days after my uncle disappeared, so he had a pretty good knowledge of the area and the feeling of the town and the seventies, and also how the search went for both of those missing men.
Speaker 3: I did walk out of there going you know, that was oneerful and I'd put everything, you know, like I've screenshot a few of the conversations and people, and I did let Peter Connelly and Brian Lewis know update them on where we're at and just saying how was Peter's Yeah, he's good, he's doing okay, and he just thanked me for letting them know and when there is an inquest, they'd like to be there.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It definitely walked out of there after talking to Craig feeling a lot happier. That feels like something could be getting done and just just being investigated. But there was a little bit of detailed information so you can see where the file had been accessed, so it has been ongoing. So that was good to see that it just wasn't just put there sort of thing, so that was good that it wasn't a lot. But we're just going to try and now find a photo of They wanted a photo of Uncle das if we could get a smiling photo, so Anny Joy was going to look what she had with most of ours. He wasn't smiling.
Speaker 1: But why would they want a smiling photo, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Maybe for the teeth, maybe because it was confirmed with the bottom of his bottom lower teeth and everything, so that was all I sort of made sure they knew that that the teeth just his adult teeth never grew. It was he was just born with these baby teeth and they never lost yep. But yeah, so there was and it was good that we have actual dates of when he did have the plate or something put into his cheek from a broken cheek and a broken nose. So yeah, so that was good that and he's always able to find that information as well.
Speaker 1: All of these tiny details seemed important. Photographs of his smile, knowing if he had a broken bone people he knew it would seem the police are leaving no stone unturned to help find an answer, which I guess you would expect, but forty years on, it's still refreshing to hear someone was as interested as we are in fining some closure. There were also a few new things that Michelle found while looking through the police file.
Speaker 3: He sat there, he went through everything. I hadn't everything any photos and screenshots like we've sent each other. I put on a USB and just said, look, have this. There's some screenshots of some letters we've received. I also came across a meta from Tony Erny with the Tony Soon of good friends and uncle I think Uncle Dares lived with them up there, and suddenly enough on one of the records I did see it had to down as proposed girlfriend O and all that that was actually Tony girlfriend, so were able to do that.
Speaker 1: But you might remember in an earlier episode that my uncle apparently didn't have a girlfriend, so it's unlikely he'd proposed to someone. As Michelle said, it's more likely the information was taken down wrong at the time. There's also another revelation in the file, which I'm hoping to hear more about when the coroner's report is finally released. It's a conversation that happened in the late eighties at the Jingalong community, which is about one hundred and sixty five k's east Newman. This conversation was with a vinyl floor layer whom my uncle Dez knew and had worked with. This Blokes said that he believed my uncle was murdered by a person who'd been molesting a young girl in the area and then where my uncle Dez found out and intervened, he was killed. There's also another man, Ron, who apparently had a beer with my uncle at the roadside where he was working the day before he disappeared. Police are speaking with Ron to see how my uncle was that day. Then there's the map and the sock. Remember the man that came to police about ten years after the disappearance to say he thinks he saw my uncle walking by a road on the day disappeared, and then he drew a map. Well, Michelle, my cousin, was able to see that map in the police file in person.
Speaker 3: It was interesting act to look at the map he's got from the trouble produ and it sort of was interesting that what he came up with that he felt like the search for some of the wrong play.
Speaker 1: Who Graham did or the police officer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Graham did. And he said he tried telling at the time the foreman and wasn't listened to. So that was interesting because he it had his statement there what he made.
Speaker 1: What did Craig think of that information? Did he say anything about it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he thought it was interesting. I said, well that's the he said, there is another map somewhere that he's still got his stool, as he said, he's still processing all the information and getting stuff in for himself. And it was really nice as he said, you know, actually he said, I really want to help your family. So he could see it meant what it meant to all of us. So that was really nice.
Speaker 1: I wanted to speak to Aunie Joy, who recently saw my mum for Christmas. Facebook is full of pictures with them sharing a lovely Christmas moment. They also shared another joint experience which I wanted to find out more about. How was it saying mum and she was good?
Speaker 4: I found a really good. Yeah, a bit vague at times, but you know, she knew me and no, we were personally surprised, and but more so on the Sunday that we went down to Michelle, she was more. She was sitting down to the table when I walked in, and she jumped up and she said, sure you know, and then come over and gave me a big husband and I had to sit next to her, and she kept moving a chair closer and cooser so it couldn't be moved anymore. And got the whole time with her hand on my arm or on my thigh, and then we held hands and that's how it was lovely.
Speaker 1: You've done a DNA test? Is that right?
Speaker 4: Yes? Yes?
Speaker 1: How did that go?
Speaker 4: Yeah? It was okay. I had the two policemen come up here and do it. Yeah, you know, I haven't heard anything back from.
Speaker 1: Them, and I believe they did one with mum.
Speaker 4: Too, right, Yeah, I think I'm sure she had one. Yeah, But when I mentioned it the other day, she seemed a bit vague about it.
Speaker 1: And so what's the process of the DNA what do they do?
Speaker 4: I don't really know to be hondert or and I just had a swab in the mouth at all. But I don't know if they said it doesn't go any further, you know, it just it would only be for deesus case because.
Speaker 1: That body in Newman that was found. Have they used your DNA in any way to try and establish whether.
Speaker 4: They I don't know, Joseph. I haven't heard anything back from them, but obviously there couldn't have been anything drastic or they would have contacted me, no doubt.
Speaker 1: So we have a few more answers, or at least we've closed off some loose ends. But now we have the story of a man who claims DEAs might have been murdered. We have a few more contacts that might know something. We also have a coroner's report that's being worked on. In the moment we anymore about this case, we'll bring it to you The Disappearance of Death. Thanks for listening, to this episode and supporting this story. Independent storytelling that shapes the world is what podshape really cares about. Right now, There's thousands of people listening to this show and our other true Crimes, and they're completely engaged. More than ten million Australians listen to podcasts each week. If you've ever thought about advertising your business in a podcast, there's a link to reach out in the show notes, or head to podshape dot com to book a free call.