Speaker 1: Waveley Park returns to the possession of the AFL in an eight figure buyout of Hawthorne. The league set to utilize its revitalized asset for pathways and umpires.
Speaker 2: The tagging debate prompted by the handling of Nick Daykos raises edge on how to umpire, the close checking.
Speaker 1: And Will's long road back. Is the Hawk's young gun on target for a September revival we.
Speaker 2: Talked about is a step into it, embrace all of.
Speaker 1: It, hit in the room and ret It's unedifying for a senior coach to do that.
Speaker 2: They're on the side of Courtia with the brain, take the man on. They played the best footy.
Speaker 1: I've ever seen at the start of the season and into President left the couple oder City.
Speaker 2: Of course they do. It is the stuff that legends are made of. What is holding the ball? I don't think I could answer it clearly right now that I could do.
Speaker 1: Something wrong, you know, And I need to get on the board sets.
Speaker 2: The fans love it, and with no fans no through sixty year old.
Speaker 1: The Anti Fund League is at it again. Guys, I hope you've got some folded in your pocket.
Speaker 2: We've been stung we've been around around the way sort.
Speaker 1: Of stung, feels sort of slapped on the wrists, as if we've got a bit of a detention here. Damien Hardwick has been fine for flipping the purd He's been fined, and it's all our fault.
Speaker 2: It's our fault. He's in his domain where we get the we get the privilege of putting a camera in there, and now we're going to find.
Speaker 1: Him didn't go to war in the hot passion of it. We put it to her in the cold light of day the next night, naively thinking that it was funny. So just to be clear, we never would have allowed that to go to air. If we'd realized there was the risk that he.
Speaker 3: Was going to be fined, we might's they've got a steward, So I suggest a go fund me page, not from the public internal conal Fox. If you're laughing, you can contribute as well.
Speaker 2: Well up for fifty Robbie.
Speaker 1: This is not funny. This is really serious, and it's think of the children. Think of the children.
Speaker 2: Therefore you're pointing that finger.
Speaker 1: This is the stupid, petty nonsense that this administration has totally lost itself in. It's addicted to fines. It wants to sanction pick up the phone that it's not really ideal, a bit of tut tutting dragon. You could make amends for that at some point down the track. And one is to hope that when Greg Swan gets there, that is the big change of culture that happens.
Speaker 2: Because Bailey Smith would have benefited, because this.
Speaker 1: Is exactly what happened with Bailey Smith.
Speaker 2: Not no one picked him up and said so.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I think Damien Hardwick had enough credits in the bank to ride this one out.
Speaker 2: They only won three premierships here along the way coach Victoria and staged forty two as a player. Not much he warranted the respect of a phone calls year and anyway, we've.
Speaker 1: Copped it and one thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Fine, yep, you'll pay it and we'll move on.
Speaker 1: I hadn't even realized it was a possibility. Wisp said it this morning.
Speaker 2: Get you to no, no, don't get you too delivered us for too long. Well I would have loved it had you have But no, all.
Speaker 1: Right, this is what we have lined up. Harry Sheesl and Will Day our youngsters on Players Night. Tonight's Ray Chamber's got double duty. But particularly we want to understand the umpire and responsibility and the close tag, the hard tag and real overreaction. It's a Navy Blue Flames.
Speaker 2: You will be shocked.
Speaker 1: Midweek tackle follows us. They'll be tut tutting the two thousand dollars for the.
Speaker 2: Bird as well. They're in part of the go fund, Lauren Glenn and especially till we'll go around.
Speaker 1: That's immediately following us. And then tomorrow night John Longmire and Adam Simpson together Simon Goodwin ahead of the game against the Suns, and that we'll have the teams for put Adelaide and Carton, which be interesting.
Speaker 2: And speaking of interesting, will Horse and Simo contribute in this fund?
Speaker 1: We might get them to pass judgment anyway, I don't regularly. Will God help us give us a Tuesday favorite, something uplifting.
Speaker 2: So this very very good Collingwood football side whore on top of the ladd are going to be ten points clear after they I suggest they'll beat West Coast I disrespect. They are going to debut a nineteen year old key Ford of one hundred and ninety four cinemas. My check thirty two mix Day thirty, Memory thirty one, Cox thirty four. So what do they do good footy clubs? They plan for the future, and it was announced today down there at Victoria Park. Just keep an eye on the young man because Craig McCrae has is to want these days of clubs to be a bit lateral and creative when they announce the debut. I'm not sure. Charlie West twigged on, have a listen, have a look. I am fearful done now that you've done your IDP, so I going to do their IDP now to check out what's coming up next on the board here.
Speaker 1: What do you what do you actually think happened?
Speaker 2: We'll ever got around it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably is it, but I didn't see that. Strach writes, it's all yours. Thanks for everyone to fight upon my development.
Speaker 2: Okay, Peter Gray Grant and side Whine Jackson who ran the I f L obviously for a long time. I'm taking it pick fifty in the draft. He's kicked twenty five goals in ten games. He kicked six last week against any including the goal after the siren. I watched these highlights coming we put up his highlights takes big contested Mark's shared and kicks big long fifty goals, So it was exciting to see, all right, what do you got?
Speaker 1: You live the pre match addresses of Northy and Barm and Danaherb, but outside vicariously we lived through the little snipperts that we get. So the Giants have given us a couple of snippets here. So first had quite the cautionary tail tour, as it turns out, so Adam Kingsley in the pre match before they walked out to play the Suns.
Speaker 4: We're always the hunters, particularly here on our home deck, our fortress, so we need to re establish that.
Speaker 2: We've got great trust and connection.
Speaker 4: But trust and connection is around our system, it's around our communication and that has to be at its highest level today. Well, let's make sure we have it really high level trust and connection around system. It's not all going to go our way. They're going to have moments of control. We've got to accelerate into those moments. It's okay, it's going to happen. They're going to kick a couple of goals in a row.
Speaker 1: Full of goals in a row became four and six minutes. A souped up opponent. It's okay, it felt a little less okay, this.
Speaker 2: Was more barn than northy, to be honest, that three games speech. But yeah, then you go out and I'm sure people love that stuff. I wonder what happens priades and all fire and brimstarting, no, no, very matter of fact, and what sort of impact does it have when they gave out the first four goals in a heartbeat?
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: So all the best laid plans, of course, don't always come about. And I reckon Adam Kingsley's watching these goals go through, and I said, maybe I should have Maybe I should have got up out of the seat at some stuff.
Speaker 1: All right, So what do you go to a three quarter time twenty two points down. You know you've done this before. This is the three quarter time closer.
Speaker 5: So we got thirty minutes to peg back four goals. Thirty minutes to peg back four goals. Most people are going to say it's built on the back of taking the game on and playing super offense.
Speaker 1: But it's a bit more than that.
Speaker 5: It's about our contest, and it's about our defense. Were turnovers while we're playing, then look to attack, But it starts with our midfield, get the ball going.
Speaker 1: Our way and take them off and then go out there and kick eight goals in the final.
Speaker 2: Term, and they'd be suburban and coach country coaches around the country watching that game. It's not much different what I did on the weekend, and it's not it's just reinforcing what you've been working at since October November, and then you're hoping that this one resonates a bit more. And this is what happens when you're coaching humans of the emotion. It only takes three or four of those blogs pre game to be half asleep or not quite where they need to be. But they were certainly were here at three quarter a time. And this is what we've come to respect about this Giants team, that they do find a way to get themselves back.
Speaker 1: And they did have to defend for their lives. They then take their moments.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a really good point here, because he did say you think it's go, go go, but they gave up ott of the hammy inside fifties in that last quarter and they held up so fascinating. Good on the Giants putting that stuff out.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get to the agenda. The AFL's decision to buy back Wavely Park is just about the ultimate full circle moment in footy. This was the venue that was purpose built by the league with a mythical future capacity of one hundred and fifty thousand. It was to be the home of football and the permanent staging of the Grand Final. It hosted one and by the time it got closed as a matchday venue in nineteen ninety nine, there wasn't a whole lot of affection left for Arctic Park, but the decision to buy it back has unleashed a wave of nostalgia and we shall join in that now. Everything from World Series Cricket, the Kiss, but as far as it went as a VFL AFL venue, these are some of the signature moments. As Peter Hudson he arrives in the helicopter that.
Speaker 2: Is as good as it gets one right there they come back, he just they flew him in. He'd been playing footy, den ta has it? And then durmam. These are things that come straight to your mind, straight to mine, don't they? I know the big one which I'm sure it'll be coming up with. Who ELSEO think to run straight through the middle of ardor rather than go around it.
Speaker 1: Grainy vision.
Speaker 2: That was a significant night.
Speaker 1: For nineteen eighty seven Night Premiership.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was John Northy getting us up and going. And then this was that not so much. A bit later on that year in a prelim final where the Demons six seconds the bore was at full back, been kicked in from full back with six seconds ago on the clock and in the end Bucky goes back after Jimmy just he didn't quite understand what was going on and the Hawk all of a sudden, the Demons are out of the Grand Final. The Hawks are back in next.
Speaker 1: Year though, And I found this all in my Hall of Fame research. In nineteen eighty eight the preliminary final against Carlton, those hearts are still broken. Gary Lyon plays a pivotal role despised underdogs the Demons that day. So that's a very fine goal. But have a look at this for a torpedo and this lived in the imagination of Melbourne supporters of a certain age.
Speaker 2: This lives. Look that baby go it didn't quite get it, Jared. This this is bias on our behalf. That won't be in the great memories. This certainly will will Peter Dacos and the draw there and look at this that's not supposed to happen from days. So I know the modern day player can do anything with the footy, but Peter Decos was doing it first. So with the Macedonian there it is. That's the number one. That is the number one memory that comes into your mind. That's the ninety one.
Speaker 1: Look at these, look.
Speaker 2: At Jeff Finn hell is going on me and Baker Finch gone, I'm not sure this is super Bowl worthy.
Speaker 1: And then at night archaic behavior is where they burned the post. Is this of the post out that man I grew up just around the on the ground.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's nearly my favorite five minutes of the shoulder day. We love Waveley by going out there to Waveley because in the days it was you get one trip to Sydney to play the Swans. That was like I going on the Hold day and this was the next best thing, going all the way out to Waverley. Jared and I also remember the Sun All Stars. I showed you a picture. This is a team that the Herald well the son that was at the day would pick their best team and then they played the reigning Premiers in the pre season at Waverley normally in about thirty eight degree heat. So anyway, it's in the hands the AFL. Now they've got to use it well.
Speaker 1: So the purchase of the ground of facilities is a rare and timely solution that will help with our talents, pathways programs, Community forty at umpire development programs, all of which will now be worked through with the relevant stakeholders. How can you see Wavey being utilized?
Speaker 2: I used to the back teeth they've been screaming out for grounds. So this has got to be the v new for the umpires. And we'll talk to Rain a minute. AFL W I think and embrace it out there the under eighteens use it. It's beautiful grounds, have magnificent surface. Jared thefl however, they can utilize this. Just get out there and embrace this big, magnificent footy ground and I think it'll be great.
Speaker 1: Ray Chamberlain doing double JUDI tonight, welcome and Ray kiddo, guys, how are he? Is this the potential solution for a long term home for the umpires.
Speaker 6: Well, look, as Gary just said, it's a fantastic surface. We've been out there to train with Hawthorne on occasion we all go out, the umpires will go out to the clubs, and they've got great facilities in there. So the guts of it is there, above and beyond anything that the umpires have historically seen.
Speaker 1: And you know, the devil will be in the detail.
Speaker 2: Obviously there'll be a lot to work through.
Speaker 6: I'm sure the AFL will have plans, but it's certainly a great step in the right direction if that tends to be or it turns out to be the home for AFL elead umporing program.
Speaker 1: Preferable to what's in operation at the moment. Yeah, certainly.
Speaker 6: I don't think Adell holds a concert out there. So the boys should be able to get through summer without being interrupted, and I think that all goes well for them being able to bed down their program.
Speaker 2: There would be for scial these an infrastructure in place. I mean, this is not so long ago. This was the state of the art facility. Now footing is outgrowing it a bit, but from an umpiring point of view, it'll be magnificent.
Speaker 6: Everything that umpiring would require on any given day will be able to be accessed. And that that's a fact that just removes hurdles that don't need to be there.
Speaker 2: Gaming step closer to full time professional umpires.
Speaker 6: Step closer to elead umpiring full time. What's full time? Is it forty hours a week or is it just your prime?
Speaker 2: If our players a full time they don't do forty hours, that's the point.
Speaker 6: So just the devil's always in the detail. But yet lead umpiring is what.
Speaker 1: We're about, and the home for premierships is this has been the base for Hawthorn's golden era, so beautifully laid out. Yeah, and I'm half surprised that Melbourne didn't ever consider no and then there I know Hawthorne feel like they've outgrown it, but it is so ready made.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Actually I went out and spent some time on CLAK I was coach and walked through it all. And this was quite a long time ago when indoor kicking facil these weren't. They're just a standard across the competition. But to go out there and see them be able to put up big screens and targets and all that sort of stuff was groundbreaking at the time. But they are now going to be the beneficiary of an unbelievable facility at Dingley. So they're at the cutting edge. For Melbourne to go out there, it would be a step back, I would think to see them go and say, well it's not good enough for us. We're going out here to this two ground facility. You can have it, Melbourne. No for umpires, AFL w under Dings. I think it'd be absolutely superb. But it is a great, great facility, great venue, and I think they've made a good decision in the AFL.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great full circle moment. All right, Ray, we'll have you back in a moment, looking forward to it, all right. The furnace the Tuesday feature, all the opinions, all the theories, and don't they rage in every direction when it comes to one particular club. It's more an inferno than a furnace tonight, and it is dedicated to Navy Blue.
Speaker 2: I think a Carton fan right now sitting what's this to be saying? What's happened to my proud club? Where's the fight? What are you doing?
Speaker 1: If you're Michael Boss panicky? The club is overly emotional. Not the people inside. It's overly emotional and it's bordering on destructive.
Speaker 2: But where their strength lies, it's in their midfield, but their identity is lost currently in there.
Speaker 1: They're down on clearances, They're not being Carlton.
Speaker 7: The messaging is not getting through to the players that there needs to be changed. We've said it, We're all about the players and coaches. But I think this is a change that needs to happen, and I think it needs to happen ASoP.
Speaker 1: I think the big.
Speaker 4: Issue right now with this Carlton Football Club is the trust off the field and.
Speaker 1: The potential breakdown in relationships between coaching staff.
Speaker 2: And players that is really hard to get back.
Speaker 1: They're at this point in the junction where players can splinter and go one way or the other.
Speaker 2: You can lean in or you can lean out. How do they go about that?
Speaker 1: My belief right now is that he's starting to happen.
Speaker 2: He's got to be better Charlie than this does and get to enough contest. He doesn't want to be the man miss McGovern let him up in the last quarter that should have been Charlie, light you up. And Tom Decunny is going to be the highest played player in the game next year.
Speaker 6: Like you watch that game on the weekend, said he could be going to some Kilda on one point seven million.
Speaker 1: He's a mile from that level, righty. I haven't seen in the CEO's role, but I think good clubs don't get their CEOs too involved in footy. The Carlton are about to and they should all the.
Speaker 7: Carlton supporters at police. So to say there needs to be a change and it will probably happen in the next few weeks is my tip.
Speaker 2: As someone that Carlton said.
Speaker 1: Today, change is coming as sure as winter changes coming Thursday night against Port Adelaide, Right, real overreaction from all of that gaz This is a giant mess.
Speaker 2: Well I'm going over reaction, which will be a surprise given that no one was missed there. This talk about the player splintering, all that sort of stuff that happens at most clubs at some stage during the year, even the good clubs, because there's always someone missing out Dart so there's always someone that's looking for a sympathetic here and it becomes a problem when so gelady put it on their gender. I hadn't heard it obviously, but you know, I'm sure it's happening, but it becomes a problem when it gets out of hand and they do need to jump on it. If in fact that is the case. But it happens everywhere that sort of stuff. I mean, there's players a bit your moan about not getting opportunity. But when it gets to be two three four because the week, players who don't look within look outside themselves then go looking for a sympathetic ear So they won't go to crips and they won't go to Weidering to talk it through. They'll go to someone and go I'm done by and they go, yeah, you are, and they feel that that's when you get a problem. But it'll be happening everywhere. Jared, so over to you and it's all over Graham.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, this is real. This is the whole point is if you bring the anointed chief executive in and you put him in the building from December and give him essentially the research project all the way through to August, you expect him to do the investigation, to find the problems, to propose answers, and to take them to the board. Now, not everything can be rubbers down. It should get to the board, be debated, ratified, and then implemented. This is their moment in time. They have set up for this deliberate change. It's more urgent than it looked like it was going to be. It looked like it was going to be a nice, smooth handover. But it needs to be disruptive, so he will have He's a great footy mind. Lay it all out at the right time, take it to the board and then get busy. If it's radical, do it because this path is not working and you can't sit there and say this is about to be successful anymore. It might be easier if TDK leaves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, overaction from mine, I mean, because that's just bringing it all back to one man. That's just saying the problem is this that one of our best players wants to go and he's been poached. You deal with it, You deal with whatever comes. You make your pitch, you give your best offer. He's a wanted player, you sell the club really hard, and then if he goes, you deal with it. Either way. You just have to deal with it. I mean, club players and Tom Dekaanning have left clubs and the clubs have survived and prospered. That's the message in all this. But he's also talented enough to keep him and if he stays can be a good result for the cart and footy club. Number four is me to you. Charlie's name could be on the trade table.
Speaker 1: So this should be real, but not as a sensational grab or not as an active retribution is I think everything should be on the table. They have a lopsided salary cap and that's going to require rectification. If they march on with their collection of million dollar players and what's left at the bottom, that's not going to balance anything. So they have to work out who has currency. And this is not for the we're all super coaches on the outside. We trade everyone who has currency? What could you get for it? How will it help balance things? And I wouldn't play favorites. I would study each player, study the market on each player, and then work out which is the right move. I think Charlie would be number one on my list, but he wouldn't be off my list. And I think you'd have the conversation with probably every player bar Weedering, who just signed your whatever it was, the seven year deal. Could Simo and Horse do better?
Speaker 2: There is an over to the board. So I've sat on the coaching panel and got it wrong, Jared. So these are things that are hard to the track. Records are such that suggest that yes, they could do better, but then you've got to go to the heart of everyone. Can ask them tomorrow night. I'm sure they're going to be ready for it is to whether or not their heart and souls in it. And has John Romo got a burning, deep down ambition to get back in and turn for instance, this club around, or has Adam Simpson had enough time outside to sit back and go throw me back into this thankless task of ninety hours a week where you don't sleep at night. And so if they can tickle that box, then they probably could. But my suggestion is there some way from that having worked from them, But it could change quickly. Buddy might be the new hot take care.
Speaker 1: Oh this is the real reels? Do you think, buddy, realise what this was going to look like. But this is the joy of podcasting is once it gets taken out of your environment. With Shane Crawford and quite rightly plastered all over the back page, that is a sensational thing for Lands Franklin to say that Voss will be gone in a couple of weeks and should be.
Speaker 2: It's the master at work, mate. Shane Crawford's got this weirdly ability to just extract something out of the subtle, half dumb questioning that is a bit smart. So I put it down to the master interviewer. I blame him.
Speaker 1: Arawford, hot take, buddy, Right, our youngsters are about to join us here at the desk, Harry Cheesel. It's time for North to get their plaudits and Will Day. What is the path towards finals looking like it