Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Christinamiot. It's Wednesday, August five, twenty twenty six. Businesses, manufacturers, schools, hospitals and farms will get a big discount if they install solar panel systems on their premises. Climate Change Minister Chris Bowen will announce the incentive in a major speech at the National Press Club on Wednesday. Multi lingual migrant students are boosting literacy and numeracy results in schools across Australia. That's according to the latest results from the National Assessment Program for Literacy and Numeracy released on Wednesday. Today, Education editor Natasha Beta joins me to unpack this year's napland results and go inside one school that's boosting skills the old fashioned way.
Speaker 2: National Day of reckoning for students across the nation with NAPLAN results just released.
Speaker 1: Natasha Beta is The Australian's Education editor and Natasha, it's a big day in your world because the annual NAPLIN results are released today. What's the big takeaway from this year's results.
Speaker 3: Okay, we've got one in three students are not meeting the standards for reading and numeracy. So these are the National Assessment Program for Literacy and numeracy. It's been held every year since two thousand and eight and alas we're still flatlining. We've got a slight improvement in numeracy. Reading's gone down. It just keeps going down and down and down. But some interesting trends they're migrant students are doing really well. If you come from a family where you speaking up the language at home, or your parents speaking of the language at home, you're more likely to be one of the top performers in your class. Girls are doing better than boys in reading and writing. Boys are doing better than girls in numeracy. It's always been that way, but you know, it'd be good if they could even out a bit. And Aboriginal and Torrestrate Islander students unfortunately are still so far behind other students. So a lot of that is to do with living in remote areas, but Australia really does need to do a lot more to help them get hold of the basics of literacy and numeracy.
Speaker 1: You mentioned there that migrant children are boosting our results across the board. Do you know what's driving that trend? Am On that cohort A.
Speaker 3: Kara, which runs the Naplan test, has not given any explanation for that. But we have had a big increase in migration from a lot of Asian countries and India which have got very strong education systems. They outperform the rest of the world in science and maths and language testing every year, and they come here and they're coming here for a better life, and they really do value education. Education is a priority for these families. A lot of them are going into the private schools, but the results this years show that the more likely to be top of the class.
Speaker 1: And how did these Naplan results compare with previous years in sort of general terms? Are there any areas where we've had an improvement?
Speaker 3: Akara changed the measurements in twenty twenty three, so it's impossible to do a proper comparison to anything before that. Since twenty twenty three, we've had a slight improvement in numeracy, but literacy has gone down. Reading and writing results are poorer. This could be a result of a big tech failed during the exam this year along the East Coast, where students found error messages when they were trying to do the writing. So I wouldn't be comparing any writing results to previous years. And also in Tasmania it has not been included in any of the national data this year because of industrial action from teachers around the time of testing.
Speaker 4: What what Tasmanian Public School staff rallying a lot alongside other state service workers, so they're feeling undervalued and disrespected by the state government.
Speaker 3: And also in March there was some flooding in parts of the Northern Territory which also impacted results. So it's pretty tricky to be able to compare to any other years. But the results aren't good enough and.
Speaker 1: It's quite ominous, isn't it that the portal that's been set up to measure these very things itself isn't working when we're talking about comprehension among school kids.
Speaker 3: Well, in fact, the education ministers have now asked Akara to consider going back to pen and paper testing because of this tech fail, which is probably a really good idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it sounds like it from another story that you have in the Australian Today about Como West Public School, tell me what's happening there. They seem to be kicking at old school already.
Speaker 3: Okay, so there's Como Wester Public School as a primary school in the Southerland shire of Sydney. The principal, Felicity Preston, has gotten rid of digital devices. So you know, you might remember back in I think it was two thousand and eight there was this big digital education revolution and kids had to bring their own devices and parents had to shell out for laptops and iPads. Well, thank goodness, where we've decided that that was a pretty failed experiment and this principle is as brought back pen and paper.
Speaker 2: We haven't thrown technology out the window. We still do have that as one of our rotation tasks within the literacy block for example, though instead of the technology being the program, it might be a small element where children are learning how to touch type, for example, because that is a skill that they will need further on in their lives. But the main focus definitely is using real books, pen and paper. Engaging the children that isn't a screen is really key.
Speaker 3: She said that the kids love learning more, they love reading more, they're more engaged, they're less distracted. She also is a great champion of explicit instruction, which is a teaching style that went out of favor because teachers just wanted kids to have fun and learn in a way that interests them and that's relevant to them. This is a teaching method that just goes back to the teacher leading the class, explaining topics very very clearly and importantly, very sequentially, so that the children are building on their knowledge so.
Speaker 2: Excellent and then putting navy putting our adults out actually.
Speaker 3: And also testing them as they're going, so the teacher is actually getting live feedback from the students instead of waiting for the end of term exam and discovering the little Jill did not understand the concepts of maths and that's why she's struggling with the rest of it. Because these first three years of school, like the KINDI or prep year one, year two, is so fundamental to what children will experience throughout schooling. They need to learn to read and write and the basics of maths. The maths results for year three were worse this year, and ministers are so concerned about this they have told a car to change the curriculum and ensure that it is much more sequential because they're concerned that kids just aren't picking up the fundamentals of addition, subtraction multiplication. If they don't learn this in the first few years, they're not going to be flourishing in high school unless their parents can pay for tutors. But that should not be how our education system works.
Speaker 1: Was there a particular moment at Como West Public School that sort of prompted this decision to put down the devices and revert back to pen and paper or has it been something a change that sort of happened organically.
Speaker 3: So Miss Preston said she was looking at research which was showing that children do learn better when they're taking notes. In fact, she gives lessons on note taking to children in year three, so they learn how to summarize something as they're listening to it, rather than just passively looking at a device where you don't remember what you've seen. And also she was sort of concerned about kids' attention spans, and she said that most children are kind of surrounded by screens at home. They're watching TV, or they're gaming, they're on social media, they're on their phone, so school should be a space where they learn to kind of slow down enjoy reading a book. I know it sounds really really old school, but there is just something that is very I suppose mindful, you know, mindfuls the big buzzword, but it's very important for children's mental health as well. Instead of having things just flashing and everything changing every three seconds, there's something lovely and calm about immersing into a book and children love it too. It's time, it's quality time with their parents. If their parents are reading to them at night, it is a very lovely and calming routine, especially before bedtime, and it really helps your children. But we need to fix the education system in this country because if we're going to talk about productivity and social cohesion, it is starting in the schools, and we need to do more to support the teachers because they're not miracle workers. They can do their best at school, but we need parents to be supportive. What I found a little depressing about the Naplan data is looking at the difference in achievement levels between children who've got parents with well paid managerial or professional jobs. We're assuming they have a higher level of education. Again students whose parents may be working in unskilled laboring jobs or who are unemployed, and it really is a two class system, and this shows that some parents just don't have the capacity to compensate for any failures in schooling. So if a school is not using the right teaching methods and not paying attention to children who are struggling, parents with money or parents who realize themselves, oh that's not right. Why I'll help you with your maths, I'll help you with your reading. Those children have such an advantage over kids whose parents don't have the money for tutoring and they may not have the education or background themselves to understand that their child is struggling. And then you just get this intergenerational inequity like this government likes to talk about generational equity. The best thing they could do is fix the education system. I know they are trying with extra funding, but I wish they kind of hurry up a bit, Like it shouldn't be taking so long to fix the curriculum for maths. They should pick up the curriculum from New South Wales. New South Wales has its own syllabus because it was so unhappy with the National curriculum. It is a brilliant syllabus. It is clear, it is sequential. The teachers aren't wondering what they're meant to be teaching every day, and their results are so much better than, for example, Queensland or South Australia. So I do not understand why ministers don't just say, hey, what we've got is not working. Let's go and look at New South Wales which has offered to give it syllabus to everybody else and use it. But as usual, we're in a federal situation where everybody wants thinks that their own method is the best. They should be looking at this data because the data tells the truth.
Speaker 1: Well, Natasha, it's certainly been a long while since I've sat at the dining room table and struggled through some long division. How are the kids at Como West responding to this change that probably feels pretty foreign to them.
Speaker 3: The kids at Como West are flourishing and they love it. And the principle has explained to me that these methods of explicit instruction, where the kids feel confident in what they're learning, they're not falling behind and not given space to fall behind. And also the phonics using phonics to teach reading, which is sounding out words instead of just trying to memorize them all or gets them by looking at pictures, that is helping children with dyslexia, and it's helping children with autism. So these are children who often label as difficult or badly behaved because they're not understanding. But the principle is saying that for children with autism, this method of teaching is wonderful for them because they love it. They engage that, they understand what's coming up, they've got consistency. It benefits all students. She also tries to extend the students who are a bit ahead so they're not bored. So boredom is another reason children misbehave. They shouldn't be punished for that, they should be extended. These things are not impossible. We have schools here which are showing they are improving results. They're getting kids to want to go to school. Kids are enjoying learning. They're in a calmer classroom, so they're not getting all stressed out and anxious because someone's throwing rubbers across the room. The other issue we have in Australia's school refusal. This has been a growing issue ever since the pandemic. And you can't teach a child who's not attending lessons. It's impossible. You've got to get them to school. So I just think, starting with our primary schools, we can turn this whole system around because it's so important for Australia.
Speaker 1: Natasha Beta, thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Natasha Beta is The Australian's Education editor. You can read her reporting and analysis of this year's NAPLAN results right now at the Australian dot com dot au