Speaker 1: From the Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Monday, April twenty twenty twenty six. Small business owners, tradees and farmers are asking the Treasurer for a huge cut to red tape and compliance costs in the May budget. They say even a cafe owner needs dozens of licenses and certificates before they can make a single flat white. Ben Robert Smith's lawyers are considering an application to permanently stay his prosecution for five alleged war crime murders, with the argument to be the former Special Forces soldier can't get a fair trial because of all the media attention in his case. Those stories are live now at the Australian dot com dot au. As the Iran War sends costs soaring, Woolies is telling its suppliers farmers and food producers they can't lift shelf prices. Cole's is temporarily paying struggling dairy farmers. More, both supermarket giants are fighting off legal action by the regulator over allegedly fake discounting, with Woolly's case to hit the Federal court this week. So who gets jammed? Our story starts with a much loved Australian company, feeling the.
Speaker 2: Pain and like every good yard, it's true. It's Bunderberg's Queens Lamps Australias, the world's great Australian brew.
Speaker 1: Eli Greenblatt is a senior business reporter with The Australian ELI. You had a story which really got our audience paying attention. It was about one of Australia's most beloved drinks makers, Bunderberg, which produces gingerbeer.
Speaker 3: That kind of thing, well, bunderboog gingabear gets its name because it's from Bunderberg, contains fresh ginger and is traditionally brude, just like regular beer. But if we made it any other way, it just wouldn't be Bunderberg ginger beer.
Speaker 1: But I love Bunderberg ginger beer, I must admit, and so to my kids. But their innoviti of strife, Why.
Speaker 4: Yes, we love Bunderberg ginger beer too, so much as the country and increasingly overseas. And the problem for them is their expenses are just out of control, flowing from the war in Middle East, the war with Iran. They rely heavily on fuel, on diesel. You can imagine that their factory that they're brewing site is up in Bunderberg in regional Queensland. They need to get their gingerbeer all over the country, so as far as Western Australia and overseas, diesel touches every part of their business. Their expenses. Their diesel expense alone has gone up almost forty percent and they need to claw back some of those costs. Now. The only way they can claw it back is by charging the supermarkets more, the main sellers of their ginger beer. And then you would think the supermarkets could pass on those costs to customers. But in this environment, in a highly inflationary environment, with the cost of living crisis, it's very hard, or the supermarkets believe anyway, it's very hard to pass on those costs. So for a producer like Bunderberg and many other producers, many other food and grocery suppliers, they're facing exploding costs because of the war in Iran. They need to call those costs back, but the people they sell to are quite reluctant. They're pushing back and that's a big problem for them.
Speaker 1: It's interesting though, in this conversation il I always think where we talk about the supplies being squeezed and their relationship with the retailers who are very powerful. And then we talk about the retailers potentially being reluctant to pass price rises onto the customer because they're worried about, of course, about market share. But both the major supermarkets in Australia, Coles and Wilworths, make more than a billion dollars profit per annum. Why can they not just absorb more of these price rises in the interests of maintaining their market share?
Speaker 4: You know, the supermarkets are seen as very strong. And let's talk about Coals and Woolworths. Yes, they're profitable. I wouldn't say they're highly profitable. They're not as profitable perhaps as iron all miners or gold mines at the moment, or some tech companies. Their profit actually is quite conservative, it's quite reasonable in the scheme of things compared to other companies. And yes, they make billions, but they also have tens of billions in sales, and then billions of dollars in costs for themselves, hundreds of thousands of staff, it distribution, warehousing, They need to open stores, they need to refurbish stores, so their profit margin, what's left at the end of the day is maybe a few cents in the dollar. Now, the problem for Coals and Woolworths, and I'm not saying we should feel sorry for them, but certainly their problem, their conundrum is they're kind of stuck in the middle where they have to balance their duty to their own staff, so to pay them properly, they have to pay their suppliers so their suppliers can stay in business. They have to have a return for their shareholders, so their shareholders continue to invest in them. They have to invest money back into the business, so new distribution centers, new transport, new supply chains, refurbishments. They also have to sell the product at a reasonable price for customers, so they keep on coming back. So then the problem comes. For example, let's say in one instance they and will use Bunderberg ginger beer as an example. Let's say they pass on those higher costs incurred by gingerbeer to their shoppers. Well, the shoppers will stop buying although by lets. So that means if the sales are down, their profits are down, so their return to their shareholders falls. They have less money to reinvest in their staff for the training of their staff. They have less money to invest in refurbishments, they have less money to pay for wages. So that causes kind of a cascading problem all the way down the line. Now, let's say you take the other example. They don't pass on those costs and they say to Bunderberg or they say to Coca Cola or Cadbury or whoever, Look, we can't pass on those costs. You've got to cover it yourself. Well, the supply gets in trouble, do they survive? Where do they get their products from? So it's about striking that balance between suppliers, customers, shareholders. But certainly, and then we've written about this, certainly for Woolworths and for Calls, they believe there's a little appetite in this current environment to raise prices for shoppers. They just won't accept that.
Speaker 1: Here's what Woolly's CEO, Amanda Bardwell had to say about that at The Australian's Global Food for in March.
Speaker 5: I'm very concerned for customers. They're already under immense cost of living pressure and so to see the incroasis that we have from a fuel perspective, it does just add another layer of pressure on customers. And so for us, that's where we're very focused right now. Is value unbelievably important, and that's critical for us to really focus on what is it that we can do right now to make a difference.
Speaker 1: From the suppliers point of view, that is crushing news. And they often have a real love hate relationship with these supermarkets. You know, dairy producers for example, are at the mercy of price stting by these retail giants because of course they rely on them. Where does your sympathy lie here, though, Eli? You know, do you understand how it is incredibly confronting for a company like Bunderberg, which employs about two hundred and eighty people, to be in this situation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've been bundergoing a great regular company, and we need more of those regial companies in rule and regual areas employing people in good, well paying jobs. I think it's tough, and I don't have a dog in this fight, but my sympathy is actually with everyone because the supplier needs to make money, The supplier needs to stay in business. The supply needs to make a return on their own investment, whether it's Bunderberg or a giant like Coca Cola. To keep on investing a company like Coca Cola or Cadbury's or any of those big brands that you see in the supermarket. They won't invest in Australia unless they can make a return, a decent return, and that means thousands of their own jobs. It means investment in regional factories. The money's not there, they'll close down. That's a problem for Coals and Woolworths. If they can't make money, they will open less stores, they employ less staff. Of the staff they do have, they'll pay them less money. They also have sympathy with the shopper. They need to be able to afford the groceries in the first place. And in this environl there is little appetite to raise prices. It's very tough out there. There is a cost of living crisis. Inflation is already out of control. It's ticking up to four percent. Many economists believe it will get to five or six percent even as this crisis in the Middle East plays out. Someone has to pay more now. Maybe it's spread evenly. Maybe it's like, you know, a quarter with the supplier, a quarter with the supermarket, some with the customer, some with the shareholder. Someone has got to bite the bullet is someone has to take that cost. It's now a big tug of war between those three or four parties, and it's not clear yet where it's going to go.
Speaker 1: Coming up. Is there a way to make the whole system fairer?
Speaker 4: Is there Do you.
Speaker 1: Think an opportunity for there to be at a two speed system here where Coals and Wilworths kind of use their power and maybe consider it their obligation to help protect small supplies who would go under without them, and maybe inflict a little bit more pain on the Coca Colas of the world, who, let's be honest, are going to survive no matter what.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you think they would survive no matter what. And Wallies and coals the supermarkets, they are sympathetic to the suppliers and the problems of these supplies, especially smaller ones who do rely so much on the great volumes they can get with coals of woolies. You mentioned this love hate relationship. That's absolutely true. If you're a small supplier like Underberg or anyone else, if you can get a deal with coals and Woolies, that's huge volumes you can have through your factory that really sustains you and keeps you going. But I think, for example, you mentioned Coca Cola, Coke, or Mars, Wrigley or Cadbury's. We think of these large suppliers as faceless conglomerates who make so much money it doesn't really matter to them. But in a way it does. And when we've interviewed with the Australian, the local bosses of Mars or Cadbury or Coca Cola, they have to go back to their head offices which are overseas, perhaps in Switzerland or the United States, and they have to justify to them why they keep on investing in Australia. They have to justify the return to the head office. And if Coca Cola in Atlanta, or Nesley in Switzerland, or Mars, which is in Chicago, if they can't see a return of investing in Australia, they won't invest. They can move the factory to Indonesia or the Philippines or China and then quite easily import that product to Australia. And that means we lose out on jobs. Many of them are regional jobs. Cadbre Mars have got regional factories. We lose out on technology. We lose out on an investment, and they can do that very easily. If you're an executive in Mesley in Switzerland or in Mars in Chicago, you don't really care too much about perhaps jobs being lost in Australia. It's not going to be of concern to you. But those are real choices being made right now, and those conglomerates have to justify a return in Australia, as does Bunderberg or a small muslea company or a small sweets or chocolate company in Melbourne.
Speaker 1: It's interesting, isn't I think One of the reasons why the Bunderberg story appeal to our audience so much is that this is one of the little affordable luxuries that makes life worth living, especially in a time of high cost of living. You know, you might not be able to afford anymore to take the whole family out to breakfast, which is now one hundred dollars proposition, but you can buy a six pack of Bunderberg ginger beas and drink them on a Thursday night or something at home. It's really sad that it's those small suppliers who are feeling the pain kind of hardest and first isn't it.
Speaker 4: I think it is, and it's anigh conic that is overused, but it is an iconic Australian brand which should get our support absolutely, and people do love Underberg gingerbeer. I do, and people just have that emotive feel about it.
Speaker 2: It's a story that started with mom, dad, my wife and I now up to its fourth generation of a true blue brew that captured the hearts and the taste buds of the nation.
Speaker 4: But I think if they went to the supermarket and saw that six pack or slab of ginger beer had gone up by five or ten percent, you watch the sales drop. They will just absolutely shrink. And from our discussions, our interviews with Bunderberg, you know they're possibly asking for maybe five six percent increase price increase from Mullies or Calls. Now, if that is translated to a five or six percent increase at the shelf price, you com bet sales will plummet. It's a big problem that's today's fresh food people.
Speaker 1: Price is of course the thing that Calls and Woolies are experts in. Then that's how they've got themselves into trouble with the Australian competition and consumer Commission. The a Triple C is taking will worse than Coals to court for alleged misleading claims in their ads. There's always something that's causing supplies to feel the heat. In this instance, there's this extra pressure from the regulator. Is that what is making Woolies, for example, pushback so hard on supplies right now?
Speaker 4: I think yes, the regulator is taking a very close eye as our politicians on the way supermarkets treat supplies. And we saw that play through a Senate inquiry and a couple see inquiry which the supermarkets have to deal in good faith with supplies and sit down with them and listen to what's going on, and they need to respond within about thirty days of a price high request. So we're going to start to see that now hit Coals and Mollies and they have to really consider what they do. But it's certainly a big problem where you've got diesel fuel prices going up forty percent. Someone's going to pay for that? Who pays for it? Now? Do the politicians want that to end up in shelf prices, which then ends up in inflation and puts more pressure on the Reserve Bank to increase interest rates. Would they rather see Coals and Moullies take a hit to their profit? Well, I don't know if Shells will be happy. And by the way, most Australians have shares in Coals and Mollies to their super funds. So would you want a lower return on your investment? I mean, who wears the pain here? It's not very clear at the moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a diabolical situation. And these are basically logistics companies, aren't they for supermarkets? I mean their food retailers of course, and they're experts in marketing, but most of their time must be spent working out kind of logistics like these.
Speaker 4: So much is that case of imagine a supermarket in this particular to the supermarkets. Imagine getting fresh food, dairy food that is perishable all over the country at the lowest price possible, in the fastest possible way, so it doesn't go off on the shelf at the same price that you charge anywhere in the country. It's a huge, complex logistical nightmare. And not surprisingly, Coals and Woolworths invest billions of dollars billions on their logistics, on their supply chains, on their warehouses, and they do that with the hope of getting a return. So, you know, Coals, for example, in the last few years has spent two or three billion dollars on state of the art warehouses, using robots, using automation to really increase their efficiency and their speed from the farm gate to the shelf. But to do that, they need a return. They need to make a profit to justify that, you know, I Agreen, thank you very much, thank you.
Speaker 1: Eli Greenblatt is a senior business reporter with The Australian. You can read all the latest in business, as well as Australia's best news, sport and politics right now at the Australian dot com dot au