Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Friday, October eleventh. Prime Minister Anthony Albaniezi has called out China's maneuvering in the South China Sea in a speech to the Asian Summit. The PM says international waterways should remain open. A bombshell revelation from a new episode of the Australian's investigative podcast Bromwyn. John Winfield fathered a child in nineteen seventy two when he was a teenager. Now his long lost daughter has come forward to try and help solve the suspected murder of the woman Winfield married more than a decade later. John Winfield has always denied any involvement in Bromwin's disappearance or suspected murder. Episode thirteen of Bromwyn is available now for the Australian subscribers us to listen at Bromwin podcast dot com. Abortion was not an issue in the Queensland election until suddenly it very much was today. How a rogue issue took off in the down and dirty campaign that's suddenly taken an unexpected twist.
Speaker 2: Do you know my position neither of those part of our plan.
Speaker 1: And this is Queensland Opposition leader David Chris a fully on the campaign trail as he storms through Queensland, and.
Speaker 3: I have been very, very firmly I'm not going.
Speaker 1: To And this is The Australian's reporter, Lydia Lynch, and.
Speaker 3: My position is there will be no change. I'm being upfront with you.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you there will be no change.
Speaker 4: Can you please? That is as definitive as I can be.
Speaker 2: And on either of those issues.
Speaker 1: I've been very upcut Lydia has been on the trail with Chris fully visiting farms and factories and burning up miles of freeway and every time he steps off the bus, Lydia, is there too.
Speaker 3: That others are trained see from the people in your own party that are talking about it, mister Chrystal fully so, I think it's a fair question to ask if your positioned from twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: It's about abortion, an issue that has done what issues do to leaders in election campaigns, that is, it's gone wild. Abortion as a policy went from being a nothing burger to a very big something burger that no matter what he does, Chris Fooley can't get rid of.
Speaker 4: In Queensland.
Speaker 3: Usually a politician can be facing scrutiny and then just stuck up to the regions for a couple of days to take the heat off. But in an election campaign there's an entire contingent of press gallery journalists following them around all day, every day, so that scrutiny just is magnified.
Speaker 1: Here's Lydia. She's us come from a sugar refinery visit with Chris A Foley.
Speaker 3: We went down the road about an hour from Makai today to a town called Serena and we did a bit of a tour of a sugar refinery there and we got to watch over chrisa fully taste. I don't know how many different types of rum he tasted, but I'm sure he was happy.
Speaker 4: He did the press conference before that tour.
Speaker 1: Did you get any room? No?
Speaker 4: I stayed clear. I had stories left to right.
Speaker 1: Here's the state of play in Queensland. As in the rest of Australia, abortion is basically safe, legal and rare. In twenty eighteen, the Labor government in Queensland removed abortion from the criminal Code.
Speaker 3: Before that, it was a crime to have an abortion in Queensland. When the laws passed in twenty eighteen, the l ANDP gave its MPs a conscience vote on the bill, which means they're allowed to vote how they personally feel, they don't have to vote on party line, and every single LMP MP voted to keep abortion in the criminal Code except for three MPs. That was Tim Nichols, Jan Stuckey and Steve Minniken. They faced serious styclash from party members and also from the Liberal National Party headquarters, which threatened all three of their pre selections for the next election. So ahead of the last election, I put questions to the then leader deb Preclington asking what the plans were on abortion.
Speaker 4: She said to me, if.
Speaker 3: They were elected, she would bring about a review to look at lowering that gestation limit from twenty two weeks and maybe putting in some sort of compulsory counseling for women that were seeking an abortion.
Speaker 4: They didn't win that election, so this issue kind of died off.
Speaker 3: Everything changed this week when video emerged two of David Chrisofulli's LMP MPs making comments.
Speaker 4: Of public forums.
Speaker 3: One of those was Tony Perritt, he's a front bed, he's a member for Gimp He was asked about abortion at a public forum and he said, you know, I've always voted against it and I'll continue to do so into the future. But really the big quotes that really kicked it off was from a long serving backbench at John Crowsey. He represents the area of scenic Rim, which is just sort of southwest of Brisbane.
Speaker 2: I see some serious issues with the present law and would certainly be a part of bringing about like minded members to try and deal with those issues.
Speaker 3: That really sent a red flag out to voters that it might not be such a decided issue amongst the L and P if there's people inside David Chrysofili's party room that are signaling their plans to either roll back the legislation or at least put in some more restrictions around abortion.
Speaker 1: What do you make of the way he's responding to it, Lydia, He just doesn't want to talk about it, does he?
Speaker 3: All Right? I think I've asked him about abortion for four or five days in a row. It became again a more heightened issue for him when Robbie Cutter, who's a crossbencher in Queensland, he committed to introducing legislation straight away into the Parliament after the election that would either repeal or make it harder to get an abortion in Queensland.
Speaker 4: Essentially.
Speaker 3: Traditionally in the LMP, there's a really long standing practice that on matters of life or death, MPs are given a conscience vote, so they don't have to vote on the party lines.
Speaker 4: They can make up their own mind.
Speaker 3: But David crucifully for four days, has refused to guarantee that his MPs will have a conscience vote on this. He can say every day it's not part of my plan, and it might not be part of his plan, but it's part of Robbie Cutter's plan to introduce this legislation. And there are quite a number of MPs in the L and P party room and also candidates that are running and winnable seats who have very staunch pro life views. And I don't think on an issue like abortion, which is a very emotive issue for a lot of people and a lot of MPs, if there's a bill before the House and that's going to put some restrictions around it, and you're a very pro life person, it's hard to see how they would not vote to support that legislation.
Speaker 1: So Labor has very successfully set a trap or created a wedge where Chris and Foley is now every day having to talk about this the thing that he wants to talk about.
Speaker 3: Least right, he's completely wedged on this issue, and that's why he's not saying whether or not he's going to give his MPs a conscience vote, because if he does give them a conscience vote, he'll be very likely renegging on his promise that there'll be no changes. But if he doesn't give them a conscience vote, they'll be complete uproar in the LMP, because, like I said, it's a really long standing practice in the party that they can vote freely on matters of life and death. I think the way that it will have the most cut through is with social media, and Labour's really ramming this on their social media advertising.
Speaker 1: Coming up the Labor candidate's own car crash moment. In every election campaign, there's a lot of serious policy being discussed and then there's just silly moments of joy that must make your life with living as a reporter on the campaign trail, Lidia, like when the premier forgot the name of his own Labor candidate, tell me what happened.
Speaker 4: Oh, yes, I was fun.
Speaker 3: We were out following Steven Miles as he was campaigning in one of the cada's Australia Party seats of Morani. The premier spent two days in that seat and a few of US journalists noticed that we hadn't seen Labour's key ended it for that seat, despite two visits in two days. So one of the other reporters asked him, you know where is your candidate for Marannie and the Premier's answer he said, oh, I'm not sure where they are.
Speaker 4: I'll find out. I'll find out where the how I let you know. And as soon as he said day, I got a bit suspicious.
Speaker 3: I thought, Oh, he doesn't know this candidate's name.
Speaker 4: Candidate, I don't have that detail in front of me.
Speaker 3: You don't know the name of the cadidate that's running in the seat that you're in today.
Speaker 4: Susan, Yeah, of course it's Susan. Yeah. I was with it the other night.
Speaker 3: Luckily for the Premier, his deputy Cameron Dick was standing behind him and could offer up Susan Teddy's name to the Premier. But I was a bad gaff and really you think the premier would be being briefed by the gaggle of advisors that are following him around the state.
Speaker 1: How did he recover from that and what do you think it tells us about how he's enjoying the campaign.
Speaker 3: The Premier does seem to be pretty upbeat throughout the campaign for somebody that's on track to lose according to every opinion poll that's been published for a year.
Speaker 4: Though he didn't seem too happy with the media.
Speaker 3: The next day, he didn't go as far as apologizing to Susan Tedder for forgetting her name, but you know, he said, I'm going to forget things from time to time and if you all want to make that your the lead of your bulletins, that's up to you.
Speaker 1: He's taken a bit of a hospital pass, has any of this premiere He took over from Anastasia Palache, a long serving and very dominant character in Queensland politics, and now he's the one left to steer the ship away from the rocks, if you can.
Speaker 3: And that's the feedback that we're already hearing, or I guess the line that's already been fed to some journalists from people inside the Labor government is that Anasja Palache should have left sooner to give Stephen Miles time to make his mark. But you know, Queensland is a weird stage and although all signs are pointing to a pretty strong Labor defeat, things can change here. As Scott Morrison discovered at the twenty twenty two election, Queensland was a state that delivered him that miracle victory. So it'll really depend on how the next two weeks of campaigning goes for both leaders.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 1: Biddy Lynch is the Australian's Queensland political reporter. Queenslanders go to the polls on October twenty six and we'll be bringing you all the thrills and spills at the Australian dot com dot au