Speaker 1: After all that James Cecily is injureds the Hawk Skipper ruled out of the next two crucial clashes that might shape his team's fortunates.
Speaker 2: The agony and stoicism of Callen Ward, the injured giant joins us back in Melbourne as he waits in the reconstruction.
Speaker 1: And two of the games pivotal figures are here at the desk Collingwood captain Darcy Moore and Carlton Ford Harry McKay joined players Knights. We talked about his step into it, debrace all of it.
Speaker 3: In the room and eat it.
Speaker 1: It's unedifying for a senior coach to do that.
Speaker 2: They're on the side of cautia with the brain, take.
Speaker 4: The man on it.
Speaker 1: They played the best footy I've ever seen at the start of the season, and injury said president left. The couple older said, of course they do. It is the stuff that legends are made of. What is holding the ball?
Speaker 5: I don't think I could answer it clearly right now that I could do something.
Speaker 1: Wrong, you know, and I need to get on the board sextually.
Speaker 2: The fans lover and with no fans, no through sixty year old.
Speaker 1: There's a lot to work with this Tuesday night, Gaz and I know you've had the most wonderful day.
Speaker 2: I've had a great day, Jed. I look forward to sharing it with you. It's a really special occasion.
Speaker 1: A show and tell to come as we start tonight. Channel seven's News is reporting that Tom Harley is poised to accept the position as the chief operating Officer at the AFL and when that comes to pass, it will complete the most extraordinary recruiting raid on the Northern States. Yesterday, Greg Swan out of the Brisbane lines. Today Tom Harley out of the Swans. And think about this triumvirate. So you've got the leader in Andrew Dillon, you've got the gray hair who comes in in Greg Swan, and the hair the next generation leader, Tom Harley.
Speaker 2: Two Grand Final CEOs of the Year prior. It is quite stunning. It is a stunning cup, no two ways about jured. And as I said, this is your area more so than mine. But from where I sit, it's pretty impressive.
Speaker 1: It's been decisive and it's been bold and it really does set the game up for what comes next. Harley is a premiership captain at Geelong, where he was a renowned leader as well as been an accomplished player, he was an excellent media performer. He's been the Swan's chief executive since twenty nineteen, and he does represent I think that natural leadership. He is a natural born leader. He's a modern thinker, he's whip smart, and he is absolutely the successor when that time comes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've got great communicators, you know, and Andrew's a bit of a knock on Andrews as the media staff is not as polished as his predecessors. Well that's okay if you surround yourself with two really good media performers like Greg Swan and Tommy Harley. So I think they've done a really good job, all right.
Speaker 1: So we'll wait to see as that comes to hands. What we have for you tonight's lined up is our players, Darcy Moore and Harry McKay. Callen Ward is about to join us, and Ray Chamblain's brought the chicken wings. It'll be good viewing on midweek Tackle. As they follow the developments at AFL headquarters. Lauren Wood, John Ralph and Glenn McFarlan are working the phones as we walked down here. And then tomorrow night, John Longmiro and Adam Simpson, Simon Goodwin, a stacked lineup and slider number eight. It will be our privilege to reveal Matt Tilly is the chief executive of the M and D setup, and Hannah Monday, who's with the Vixen's Netball's got its own big Freeze to set up as well. And this is very much the Tuesday Favorites is all yours.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this is getting bigger and bigger, the big phrase Big Frieze eleven and it is a momentous occasion on the calendar and it's delivered us this remarkable human being by the name of Neil Danaher, who we've all known as an outstanding footballer, very very good football coach and now just providing a legacy for future am mend suffers the likes of which you can't get your head around. So today at the MCG he did what we haven't expected him to be able to do, probably for the last six years, and that is gather himself and get to the MCG, the home of football, with his beloved extended family, the Melbourne Football Club. Every single player was gathered there in the playing list, every member of the administration, the mcc there as well, and a host of his former charges that he coached, and this amazing technology this will we live in Now we've touched on this episode briefly. New was able to talk, will deliver his message rather in his own voice, so he uses his eye technology to identify the words that he wants. But this technology now delivers this uplifting message every king's birthday match. So this is a bit I've got for you here which I loved that. I loved all of it. But he talks about the two sides of him when he was first diagnosed, the mister negative and the mister positive.
Speaker 6: And in those early days, I was having a constant dialogue in my head what I call my mister Negative and mister Positive voices. Mister Negative was loud, he said, you're stuffed. There's no coming back from this, And to be honest, didn't have a great argument against that at the time. But then eventually mister Positive spoke up and he asked, how's that working for you? Sitting in misery listening to that voice in our way, And I had to admit it wasn't working at all. It was making me more anxious, more miserable. That was the start of a shift. I didn't suddenly become a superhero. I didn't have a plan, but I did realize one thing. If I kept listening to mister negative, I was already done.
Speaker 2: How a shurdinary is that to sit there and listen to that. So he talks about that. I loved it when he says, and then mister positive says, how's that.
Speaker 1: Working for him? Yes?
Speaker 2: And so he got moving And this is the over one hundred million dollars raised, hope now for him and d sufferers in the future, and a room full of people who were just all struck to sit there and watch him deliver that message. So it was a beautiful day. And I don't never get out and deliver public messages. But Melbourne support us. Please on Monday, if you can get to the game, if you're a member, an MCC member or an AFL member, get there because we want to get ninety thousand plus. We know the Collingwood fans will turn up in their draves. Melbourne fans have been great supporters of this. But when you hear this man speak and what he's trying to do, he just wants to see every single seat field and every single head of a bluebean hill.
Speaker 1: Yes, it seems like we should do all in our power to make that happen, so that there's a small amount of ups for us publicly just privately. Did he channel a bit of the Reverend and give it the Melbourne treatment?
Speaker 2: Yes he did, and he's going to talk to the Collingwood team tomorrow, so let's be very even handed about this. And I know how appreciative they are. But there was a message there for his beloved dep.
Speaker 1: Beautiful, beautiful. The big freeze is spreading right around the country and the Suns did their bit today up on the Gold Coast, so down the inflatable slide when Bob easts I thought he wore the pink pretty well. Sally Pearson who all the son's pink jumper, Brandon Ellis in the shark suits, Mac Andrew in the budge smugglers.
Speaker 2: Not not shy mag that is what we want to see.
Speaker 1: The zel Jones I think might have just had a little shot of James Magison here a.
Speaker 2: Bit beefed up. That is good sport right there, Well done, Well done to everyone.
Speaker 1: Everyone gets asked to do a photo opportunity along the way, and in these moments, everyone says yes steel side Bottom and Jake Melcham should they have said yes this one.
Speaker 2: These are two of the oldest players in the competition. Arthritis comes into it when he has to go in the arctic conditions of the Penguins. They could have been excuse, this is where you send the young bucks. But it's great to see. I heard both these boys talk about this as well and how much it means to them to be involved in this game on Monday. So everyone's doing their bit.
Speaker 1: Jered, everyone, players.
Speaker 2: Administrations, mcg Melbourne, Collingwood. Come on, fans, get there, get a lot to that game by yourself. For Beanie. You can buy digital Beanie as well if you can't get there and you want to contribute still and you have your name recognized. But let's feel this ground on Monday in a big, big way. And I know for Neil it would be something that Philly's heart. So that's what we want to achieve, So let's do it.
Speaker 1: What are Tuesday favorites? That is all right? More of that Tomorrow night as well. Let's get into the agenda. And James Cicily is injured as had been widely suspected and speculated upon and has seemed perfectly obvious watching him play in recent weeks. The Hawks skipper was struggling. The medical decision was taken today to put him on ice. As it were, he won't play again before at least round sixteen. Despite the protestations of last week.
Speaker 7: His groins are fine, He's going to are fine, fine, he's playing every week. There's no reason that he's kicking has anything to do with this groins. He's going to are fine, and he kicked the ball reasonably well last week. I thought, go watch all of his kicks and tell me which ones you thought he could do better.
Speaker 1: Bring me back, show me some vision. But I'm really with how he's kicking.
Speaker 7: I can get you all the kicks that he's done that hardly anyone else in the competition can pull off, and he's on them over the last month. So the kicking is that that is a storm in a tea cup.
Speaker 1: I've seen this for decades when the clubs actually do themselves any favors. In this moment, it has been perfectly obvious watching James sicily that he is not the player that he is capable and has previously been.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, it makes it. I think it makes them look a bit silly. Let's be kind and generous. You can go a bit harder if you want, but it just as you say. This has been part of the wrestle for clubs for a long long time, but even back when I was playing, do you say? And then in the end what happens is you don't do the player justice because Sam goes out and defends him because he thinks he's doing the right thing as the coach, and then he goes and has six touches and can't run, and then you know he We are on Tuesday going, oh yeah, I know what we said, but it's fired up post the Collingwood game. We all know what's going on. So I don't think it does the club or the player any good. I think being open and transparent is probably the best way. I don't have to tell everyone, but there's no harm in saying, look, yeah, he's struggling with whatever. We're going to keep playing him because we think we can get him through. But you know, if it comes a time where he needs the rest, he needs the rest, and then today we would have went, well, fair enough, you did your best. But yeah, we talked last night. We don't have to go back over it, but under siege, deflect, deny, defy you no, no, no, no. Now they come out today and concede, confess and be can try it. It's just a bit chilly.
Speaker 1: So there are two big games, are they The buyer is still a little way off for them, and they've got the Bulldogs and adelaide knowing that the set of games that they've lost to the contenders with two more to come, so there's no under estimating what he's.
Speaker 2: There's not, so they're going to have to bring in back up out of the VFL. The players have been looking for a chance, so this says they not becomes enormous again. So we can't wait for it to come around. But hasn't been as we said, it hasn't been a great week for him, but it's not disastrous. They can get it. They can get it right from him.
Speaker 1: Hip and abdominal issues or what's been declared. Everyone thinks it's groin so one day, one day know for sure. The most emotional scenes at the weekend emanated out of the Giants and callen Ward one of the most admired veterans in the game. We all watched this and feared the worst, and the worst was relays to Cal yesterday when he met with the surgeon. It is an ACL, so this had set up as one more dash out at the family had moved back to Melbourne. He would stay and play his footy with the Giants. It had tremendously emotional impacts on all who saw it, from the crowd to his teammates, initially for worse and then for better. We asked Callen Ward if he'd prepared to join us tonight, and he is one of the great men of football and he has accepted that. Cal. It's great to have you with us on three sixty. Thanks a lot, Thanks guys for.
Speaker 5: Having me on.
Speaker 1: Hey go, how are you going? I reckon, it's the question. I'm not too bad. I'm pretty good.
Speaker 5: I'm here in Melbourne with the family, which is always nice. They got the news yesterday, which I knew was coming anyway on New Astralia. I've done the OCL so to par disappoint him, but at the same time, I'm happy to be here and I just move on from it now.
Speaker 1: How are your spirits? Yeah, spirits very okay.
Speaker 5: I'm disappointed, obviously, I'm angry. I'm sad, I'm you know, emotional, probably hasn't quite hit me yet, but I'm just flat that I can't help the boys. And you know, I've always wanted to play in a Premiership and that's probably been taken away from me a little bit unless I go on after this, which I'm not sure. But yeah, I'm flat about all that. But at the same time, I'm so grateful for the opportunity I've had for a long time. And I've been one of the you know one I like you ones where I've played over three hundred games, I've played for eight en years.
Speaker 2: So I'm so grateful for that.
Speaker 3: Cow.
Speaker 2: I feel for you too, mate, we're thinking of you. Can you tell take us back to the decision to play on because it's been reported your family comes back to Melbourne, maybe that you were going to follow and cool time on what's been an outstanding career. But there you are up in Sydney with your family back here. It's a big commitment. How did that come about?
Speaker 5: Yeah, we decided to do the long distance on the back of Ruby's mum's a little bit sick, so she wanted to spend some time with her and look after her in Melbourne, which was always going to happen, and take the kids.
Speaker 4: So when we.
Speaker 5: Spoke about doing the long distance, we knew that be challenges with that, but it's something that Ruby really encouraged me to do. And obviously I love playing football and everyone says you're a long time retired, so you try and play for as long as you can. And obviously the pursuit of a premiership is really important to me as well as my family, So to make both things work has been really important for me. And yeah, it's great, really well up until this point. So yeah, I mean that's the reason that we get in the first place. And it's all been good so far until.
Speaker 2: Emotional Yeah, till now of course the emotional scenes. Yeah, when you did your need, then the lucky whitfield and then tell us about the three quarter time comes around and you're sitting there, your whole footy mortality is in front of you, Your career may or may not be over, and yet you find the strength and selflessness to step up and address the playing group. Can you give us some sort of an insight into how it come about and what you said?
Speaker 5: Oh, well, I've kind of learned from my years that it's really important for any injured player to be really positive, especially on the bench, because it's heartbreaking for the rest of the team to see injured players on the bench, and I guess especially a player in my position who's probably the very end of his career. So, you know, for me, I was telling myself to be really positive and to be you know, a good, you know, seanding board on the bench if I need to be for the team that was playing, for the players who were playing, so first and foremost that was my role for the you know, for the day after I was injured, and that was really important to me. And then the three quarter time stuff is on the back of the conversation I had with King, as he just said, it's really important that I might speak to the boys, I might lean on you for a little speech to the boys. So I kind of had something in the back of my head.
Speaker 2: But at the same time, King has.
Speaker 5: Kind of told me the key messaging, So it's pretty simple. It's about playing our role and as I said, just be really positive person, you know, in that group. And I think that was the most important for me on the day.
Speaker 1: I wondered how you went watching the response is at home and then we workshopped this last night. Is if there ever was a group of players in the moment who showed a leader what he had meant to them, it was the way they responded to you, was it? How did you take the last quarter?
Speaker 4: In?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: They were amazing.
Speaker 5: They obviously made me look very good, But it had nothing to do with what I said.
Speaker 1: I don't think.
Speaker 5: It was just the way they played, and I think I think Richmond probably stopped in that last quarter. You know, they were pretty fatigued, and we started to play some good football. So we just started to take the game on, which is what we know. We're you know, we're good, Adam. We hadn't done that for a long time, so I guess the boys turned on in the last quarter. So I can take a little bit of the credit, but definitely not.
Speaker 1: Much of it. When we have the surgery, what have you decided at the moment.
Speaker 5: I had a meeting with Julian Feller, surgeon yesterday. Just had to scan yesterday as well. So at the moment, the needs through swollen to operate on it. So I've got to give it a couple of weeks. I'll be oly laying low here in Malbourne. I think we're booked on the seventeen Stoning.
Speaker 1: Two weeks time to just convention, nothing, nothing radical, just.
Speaker 5: Conventional and I'm not doing the large round.
Speaker 1: It was funny when I went down, I kind.
Speaker 5: Of thought like we were we up during the season straight away, I'm like around thirtey and how long we got to go?
Speaker 2: But I knew that.
Speaker 5: Time had run out of it. You know, we've only got three three months left, so it wasn't possible.
Speaker 2: And you and it's the wrong time to ask, but beyond this year, you just got to have the surgery and make that decision.
Speaker 1: Then, yeah, I think so.
Speaker 5: I mean, going on this year, the plan was to play one more and give myself the best chance for a premiership and that hasn't happened. So I guess I really haven't really had much time to think about what my next move I need.
Speaker 1: I just want to have the surgery and.
Speaker 5: Have some time with the found and started to think about things after that. But yeah, I think most important to me now is you have the surgery, look after the knaby of the family and then get back to the club and be there.
Speaker 2: For the boys. Well whatever happens. Mate, There's a whole football public and community that are so supportive. And I said this last night that all we can hope for is a footballer as you walk away from the game, whether it be now, next year or the year after, with the respect and know that you've given it everything. And there are few that have been the embodiment of that more than you. I think so from everyone, congratulations and hope everything goes well. From a surgical point of view. You've got a big, long life to live. Maybe a coaching waiting after the response to your three quarters speech, and we admire and respect you enormously, mate, I.
Speaker 5: Really appreciate that. Boys, thank you very much. So I will just say quickly, I want to thank the whole football world, the AFON community, the Giants, other players from other teams, my family and friend as well. The outpouring has been absolutely amazing. They've made me feel very special and very proud over the last few days. I thank you everyone that's been there for me and it's been awesome, and thank you for your words.
Speaker 1: So appreciate it. Good on you callim a bards with us Tonight's really appreciate that, all right? Yeah? What a good man, what a good man? All right? Thursday night is going to be a furnace. Just say Friday night, Friday night, Friday night is going to be a fernace. When Adelaide the the Lion's meet, so he thought, let's stoke the furnace up right now.
Speaker 4: You're going tag.
Speaker 2: Lucky Neil or here mccluggyacha Anxy.
Speaker 1: Yes we will, I said, I'll try. What are you bringing, big o back? Face?
Speaker 3: Can't tell you, Jared, I don't like our boys taking dives like that in the stage we've spoken through.
Speaker 2: Oh come on my copper fifteen Josh Shelley.
Speaker 1: For that, there's a line.
Speaker 3: There's a really fine line with it. I mean, if Josh've got a free kick on that one, there was definitely, you know, pushing the chest. We've talked about, you know, what levels we want to be and what sort of team we want to be areas that we value going forward. So we'll just keep working our way through those small things and no one's perfect, guys.
Speaker 4: In my time at the club, this is our best start to a year at round twelve. Now we're tracking pretty well given the fact that it was you know, a shortened pre season we had a lot of surgeries and things like that. I'm sort of a little bit surprised or actually where we are at the moment.
Speaker 1: Insufficient in ten.
Speaker 3: So this is the out of bounds, deliberate out of bounds in the SNFL. Here it's last possession out of bounds and it works, and so at the moment, I have no idea what the decision will be.
Speaker 4: One of my pet hates in the game, Gary is the signs that we hold up at the side of the oble to sort of signify with various plays and how long was left in the game. Honestly, it's a dog's breakfast.
Speaker 3: That our guys watched a lot of their footing. It's one thing to know how they play, it's another thing to stop them doing what they do really well. That'll be the big one for us Friday and night. Can we match it with the best? So we can't wait for that.
Speaker 4: We've been out to play a lot of these big games over the last five or six years, so we're experienced in that regard. But this is one of the biggest challenges that we've had in a while.
Speaker 2: Corner from the old world sport days, there are to get to lower them ATACKI and the Valentine chocolates.
Speaker 1: All right, what have you got for real or overreaction? Here? Friday is the biggest game in Matthew Nick's rain.
Speaker 2: I think that's real, Jared, I think they want this. They came to the MCG I did this game a couple of weeks ago that five points down at halftime, they were in the contest, got opened up a little bit in the back half and then kicked the last two goals close to ten points that are coming again. So they want this chance against the reigning premiers. And that is real and I can't wait to see it unfold for you, as was floated there by Nixy last touch would make life easier for everyone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's real. So this is the natural evolution of where we're going with in sufficient intent between the arts and the best bit is there's this huge body of work that exists in the sanfl It needs to be studied, those who implemented it, those who police it, and then what is the impact of it. But from where we are with anything off the axis, anything skewed, and then Titan and Titan, and we want the ball in flow that's been the edict. This does make sense, and there's not many rule changes that are so laid out in front of us to make it.
Speaker 2: Anyway. And it's between the arcs is the key to this. Anything outside of that, we can still have the good old fashioned boundary throwing.
Speaker 1: Beach sessions are the answer.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, pushing, Absolutely, I'm waiting for you to have a bad night that hasn't happened in the last eight years. And when you do, I'm going to whip you down our wood beach cart you out in the dickstickers and get you into the option. See how you go on the back of that. See if that can't just sharpen you up a little bit. So they got out of there at about twelve o'clock on the on the night of the game, and they're at the beach by five or six in the morning. So you know, it's it's old fashioned. I'm all for it, Jared, anything to try and break the cycle. I think they did the push ups and the sit ups and the whole box and dice.
Speaker 1: I love the Kennedy's can finish.
Speaker 2: Sorry, sorry some ut for my ears more thanks him and the sur wangon a Miller's signature is more crucial.
Speaker 1: Than Tom daconey. Oh, this is an overreaction because, just like everyone else, I'm assuming they've already got the Tom dacone in committed.
Speaker 2: I'm parking T d K. Surely, aren't you.
Speaker 1: I think they've got him. They got him. So their bird in the hands to my eye, isn't Wangony Miller, it's actually td CA. And what's the bigger bird. Well, they're paying for the bigger bird at one point seven. They're not given Wangony Miller at one point seven.
Speaker 2: They've got to make sure they've got enough left over because they don't want to lose.
Speaker 1: Our players are about to join us, Darcymore and Harry McKay. We're thrilled to have them together here at the desk in the studio, the Pies and the Blues represented with all that's happening for the players in Putting right now