Speaker 1: Welcome to How Do They Afford That? The podcast that peaks into the financial lives of everyday Australians. I'm Michael Thompson. I'm a writer and the co host of the podcast Fear and Greed business news. As always, I'm with Canna Campbell, financial planner, founder of Sugar Mama TV, the financial literacy platform that is on Instagram and threads and books, podcasts, YouTube, TikTok, keynote speeches and more. Hello Canna, Hello, how are you? I am? Well, thank you. I am intrigued by today's topic. It's a one that you have been thinking a lot about lately and quite deeply, yes as well.
Speaker 2: It's really impacted me and it's really changed my mindset and the way that I want to talk about money in an evolved way.
Speaker 1: You could say, oh, that sounds very kind of high level, but really, I mean everyone's heard of the work life balance, right, This idea of kind of restoring some kind of order of working to live, not living to work, all that kind of thing. Remote and hybrid working has certainly helped with that. So today we're kind of starting with the idea of work life balance and looking at how it applies to money in a way. Is there's such a thing as finding a financial balance, a balance between all the different components of your life in terms of your money, you're saving, you're spending, paying down debts, kind of investing, all of these bits and pieces, getting them all working in in harmony. Great word, what is financial balance? Have I completely butchered it there? Or was I roughly close? No?
Speaker 2: As you said, like, it's something, How do I explain this? Okay, So to go straight to the point, My idea of financial balance has changed and evolved. So I watched an interview recently with Jeff Bezos and he was challenging the term of balance and.
Speaker 1: What it was.
Speaker 2: He suggested that the idea of balance implies a trade off or sacrifices, so you can't have too much of that because then you've got to go without that. Instead, what he explains in this particular interview is he sees it more as a work life flow where if you are fulfilled and growing at work, you are then more present and happy at home. So it's about moving in a state of harmony. And this had a huge impact. It was so thought provoking in that it made me think about money. You know, if you don't spend something, you know, with the consequence of that or if you still spend money the consequence of spending that money. So my definition of balance really has changed. And you know, I've always thought balance is something in movement. You can't just have permanent, perfect balance and just have it static. It is always moving. So for me now financial balance is actually about having every dollar has its purpose, has its role, and it's now about a moving, healthy flow between saving, investing, and obviously planning for retirement to managing debt, but also included in that mix is some guilt free spending. So it's about achieving an element of financial harmony in how we actually allocate the motion and movement of money in our lives. And instead of just seeing it in a very polar black or white world where it's about saving and spending in very simplistic ways and seeing them as you know, competing goals, it's actually about combining them all together, almost like a piece of music that helps create an overall sense of harmony and fulfillment and satisfaction. So it's not about you sacrificing, but actually about creating freedom and having a plan that allows a very healthy respectful sense of enjoyment today, but also honoring and respecting tomorrow, rather than feeling like we are stretched and pulled and pushed in all sorts of different directions with these competing goals and ambitions and dreams and also financial responsibilities and pressures. Sorr it went for a really long answer. No, see, it's really impacted me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and all of this kind of starting with Jeff Bezos, which is not a place where I thought we would start an episode. And it's interesting because obviously he's the founder of Amazon and one of the richest people in the world. And I always kind of wonder when you hear people like that talking about the importance of work life balance. It perhaps it's easier to have a work life balance when you have one hundred billion dollars in the bank account and kind of you're not. But he's living to work.
Speaker 2: He's a very busy person working. He isn't like, you know, he's made obviously an.
Speaker 1: Absolute yeah, indeed empire.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he's still working and you know.
Speaker 1: No, it's but it's a really good starting point for this because this idea of money being in a flow is an interesting, interesting idea, and this concept that every dollar should have its purpose, that that it is spending, investing, even kind of giving yourself room to kind of treat yourself. It feels like you're moving into your I'm going to say your I was going to say your woo woo era maybe of money with this. But it is actually really practical, isn't it? Because it is not just necessarily about changing your mindset. It is about a practical kind of system or a practical way of looking at money. How do you figure out that, how do you figure out if you are in balance or whether you are like overweight on one particular aspect of money. It's about stepping back and doing an audit of your finances of what you are spending, what you are saving, what you are investing, how much debt you have, how you're paying that back, whether you are allowing yourself to have any fun with your money as well? Is it just is it step back first and look.
Speaker 2: At it, Step back and look at what's going on, and explore and dissect and get in touch with how you're feeling, so you know, look at the spending habits, and look at the debts that you have in your life, and what savings you might have and any investments that you've built so far, and then ask yourself where does this sit with your value system? You know, how does this allocation of debts or savings of investments even you know, how does that actually make you feel? And look to what actually makes you feel proud and smile inside. So you might think, you know what, when I look at my savings accounts, I feel good about myself. I feel strong, I feel resilient. So that is a great insight for you then to build upon and go, Okay, well, that is actually something that I really value. It's really important to me. I can maybe I need to look at channeling more of my focus to have that financial harmony, to maybe prioritizing a little bit more my savings and what I can potentially do, and then obviously going back to the budget. So what I'm trying to say is it's the reflection that helps identify the errors that needs some adjustments so that you have that mindfulness to make the changes to your flow of money in your life so that you can actually feel like it's more connected and more purposeful and more realistic with the current situation you're in.
Speaker 1: I suppose without being too cynical about it, and I suppose that the part that kind of sticks in my crawl, so to speak with Jeff Bezos is it feels like this kind of reflection is almost a luxury that I might be wrong with that. Yeah, it feels like it can be a luxury if you have plenty of money, if you have the ability to actually kind of put money into you know what. I really feel like I need to be putting more into the future and investing more, or be kind of spending more on me. I'm not appreciating money. That It's easy enough to say that if you have the money there to do that with. But if you are constantly financially stretched and every week you are just living from kind of paycheck to paycheck and you're just getting by, how can you apply this mindset to that great question?
Speaker 2: And you are you are? I think you're spot on. But also I don't have squeallias of dollars like Jeff Bezos. I think it's more of the mindset principle in it taking the pressure and stress that you're putting on your own shoulders to look at, Okay, things are really tight right now, how can I find out what I value. So, for example, things might be you might have lots of debts. At the moment that awareness that it creates, it goes, okay, all right, I don't value the debts of my life. I need that that is a priority for me, and I need to channel my energy and the flow of money to making sure that I honor that goal in a sense of financial harmony to pay that debt off, like use it as a tool to help maintain focus and motivation, because you will then value once you are debt free. So I'm saying I probably not articulating myself very well, but and I understand exactly what you say, and I actually hope I completely agree. But I'm also using this as someone who is just like everybody else. I've got a mortgage, I've got childcare, I've got grocery bills. You know, I've got the same stresses and pressures as every was most of people do out there. And I'm using this as a way of creating an awareness so that I don't get beat myself up and get myself down if I don't achieve something or something doesn't work out or didn't land where I'm supposed to, but also to help create that understanding of what's important, where does my value sit in the whole story of harmony, and just completely understanding that it doesn't. It's not a war inside our bank accounts and our investment portfolios. It's about and this is why I say the idea of which is not Jeff's idea about the idea of a movement, it's mine. You know, that's I talked about an idea of a song. You know, there are times in your life where debts are important being on top of and that's you know, like you think about an orchestra, you know, you know, the brass might be the dominant sound in that particular piece of music. So that's the debts. You know. You go, okay, well, all right, right now, the feeling of debt doesn't feel good. I need to honor that. I have that awareness now, I need to honor and respect it, and my financial flow goes towards that, and I will. I'm committed to going through that piece of music until it fades out and I can use what I've learned from that to then flow onto other things. But in the meantime, I have that awareness as to what I want as the next piece in the music and I'm waving my hands around like a conductor.
Speaker 1: It does feel like you are conducting this flow of money right now.
Speaker 2: And that's something that I think sometimes when you are motivated and you're ambitious, and you're you know you've got this financial drive to build a great life yourself, you can definitely page yourself in a corner where you put so much stressure and pressure on yourselves to achieve certain goals and then if you fall short or that something happens and you don't even come close to you can really beat yourself up. And this is just a different a bit of a mindset refresh to look at something from a different perspective and understand that there are different times of your life where unfortunately it is about debt and it is about getting back on top of that debt. But knowing that the song will change, the chorus will fade away and the next lyrics you know part of the song will come up and you'll move on to the next part of your life. And having understanding that nothing is set in stone, things do move. Things you have achieved by that connection to what you value. Because for example, I hate debt. We have a mortgage.
Speaker 1: I hate it.
Speaker 2: But you know, Bruce, for you, you might not really bother you about the mortgage, but it's having that awareness of what you value and what makes you feel harmonious inside, so you can focus on more of that to give you more happiness.
Speaker 1: All right, I understand. I think the mindset. Now we're going to take a quick break now, and when we come back, I want to talk about how we then implement some strategies using that mindset. So it's not just about the theoretical, it is actually about the practical how we kind of use that to go Okay, I want to focus on my debt or I want to focus it on investing and how you can use that in order to set yourself up or come back in a second. Can are we talking today about financial balance? And it is quite a It's an alternative way of looking at money, isn't it. It is really about kind of the flow of money. And I initially thought when we were talking about it that it was about goal setting, that it was about setting these goals, but being open to the fact that you may get their different ways to what you intended. That it's not just go one hundred percent in the direction of this particular goal that it might actually take you off in different directions, but you'll still get there eventually. But it now feels it doesn't quite feel like that, because it feels like if you set, if you're setting these hard and fast goals for yourself, you are setting yourself up to potentially fail and you will be too hard on yourself. Have I interpreted this correctly?
Speaker 2: But as it absolutely and there's an awesome element you could say it's almost surrendering, not giving up at all, but surrendering to the process and the journey and obviously means still doing your best and trying, but just taking that pressure off yourself and to stop thinking that I can't buy that because you know, I've got to do this. Like it's making peace within yourself to allow things within a mindful, respectful way.
Speaker 1: Of course. You know, now I'm going to ask you to put it into a formula or some because it's been a very kind of theoretical, hypothetical, kind of slightly woo woo kind of discussion. How do we put it into practice? Because we've talked in the past about financial priorities, about kind of whether you pay down your debt first, or whether you kind of start investing or whether you are focusing on the mortgage or whether you're focusing on getting just the household budget under control. There's no simple formula, is there.
Speaker 2: And you know, this is the thing with financial planning, and as a financial planner, you could tell a client this is the most efficient way to fix your finances, but you've really got to respect that money doesn't work like this. And this is this is kind of what Jeff Bezos is saying. A client might say to you, Look, I actually don't really care about the mortgage. Yes, it will come down, it will come down, you know within the banks terms and conditions. I actually value being able to take my family on a holiday once a year, or being able to work part time. That's that awareness to what that person's values are. And of course we go through different stages of our lives where you know things are important and they're not then important five years later. And I know for myself that you know, when I had children, that was a huge shift for me in where money played a role in my life. It was more about security and stability rather than that ambition of building wealth.
Speaker 1: So is it about and aligning money to your values? But understanding that your values change.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, As I said, nothing is set in stone, and it's really important. You know, the best relationship you could ever have is with yourself. So this includes that understanding of what where money fits in and what money represents to you in your life. Does it represent stability? Does it represent freedom, does it represent independence, luxury? You know, investing that time to actually find out what that is and knowing that it will most likely change and evolve as we do with our own personal growth and development of life.
Speaker 1: Okay, So using that then to set your financial priorities and again kind of coming back to how we practically implement this. It is about stepping back. It is about reflecting on what is causing you the greatest angst potentially, So I say it is the mortgage, or say it is this feeling that you know what, I'm still young. I have an opportunity now to set myself up for the future. I need to pay attention to my super It is about okay, this is what I need right now in order to really the pressure on myself and putting your attention on that.
Speaker 2: Yes, and making peace with those decisions. Okay, because you have that boundary in place, yes, I am going to prioritize my superinnuation. But I'm going to prioritize my superhuation whilst also enjoying travel, or whilst also enjoying buying beautiful produced food or whatever it met. That person's individual value system is okay.
Speaker 1: And never mind the fact that, yes, you might have a mortgage at the same time, and everyone says you have to pay your mortgage down as quickly as you can. That doesn't necessarily apply to you because it doesn't align with your values exactly.
Speaker 2: It's like the people who would prefer to take the scenic route and enjoy the journey rather than the other person who values getting to their destination is in the fastest, most efficient way possible, but they're happy to pay the tolls and go on the motorway.
Speaker 1: It's making sense.
Speaker 2: I know, I'm really worried. I haven't quite got my making sense. Does this make sense?
Speaker 1: It actually is. And then that kind of leads me into that point that you made earlier. You mentioned it in passing about life stages requiring different approaches to financial balance, in that as you perhaps approach retirement, you will be feeling the pressure of that and making sure that you are kind of setting yourself up that you're going to have enough money to live the retirement that you want, and so suddenly that is the thing that is kind of your priority, and the other things may kind of drift away for now. And it is being comfortable with that and not necessarily feeling that you're doing the wrong thing by focusing choosing to focus on that and not just saving or not paying down other debt. Things like is this I am getting this?
Speaker 2: And about living authentically in alignment to your values, obviously with an element of financial intelligence, but understanding the flow and how all the pieces move together.
Speaker 1: Okay, symphony? What in symphony? This starts? It brings it back to you and your big conductor hands that you had before.
Speaker 2: What's a very philosophical episode. And I'm sure it's working progress, I'm but it's had a huge impact on me and I think you know, right now, obviously things are tight, you know, the interest rates rise in cost of living. You know, a lot of people are feeling stressed and pressure. For me, in discovering this and exploring and pondering and reflecting and parking and coming back to it, it's helped move my mindset into a less restrictive, high pressure you know about deprovision and sacrifices, and just made it a bit more lightweight, which is what some of us need right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what does success look like in this? What is the end goal here? A balanced approach financial balance? What does that result in? Is it a life of financial freedom? Is it retirement kind of with enough money to travel and to buy a new car every couple of years or something like or or is it much like the actual financial plan? Is that fluid as well?
Speaker 2: I think it's fluid. You know. Obviously the mac Daddy Rolls Royce financial strategy is to be able to live off the passive income off your investments, whether it be through superannuation or through your growing investment put forward. That is the sort of basics one oh one of financial freedom. But let's look at it, I guess go back to your value system and your priorities. For some people that doesn't float their boat. That's not what they're up for, like that they actually for them that their definition of financial freedom is actually, you know, being able to travel around the world and live in lots of different countries and do volunteer work. It's that's why I said, you know a second ago. It's about living authentically in alignment to your value systems, but in best time exploring it so you can create that flow for yourself and make peace with that.
Speaker 1: So it's kind of running your own race. Is not comparing yourself to others, and it's making sure that your money and your strategies for money, and you're prioritizing of different kind of things just aligns with with your values, which can change over time. Yes, and you use the term macdaddy. I don't know how I feel about this.
Speaker 2: I'm really sorry about that. We I'll go and find another term to use next time.
Speaker 1: I don't think we'll put that on the list of things that are not allowed to be mentioned in the studio ever. Again, very philosophical episodes today, except for the macdaddy part that that's not philosophical at all.
Speaker 2: Am I allowed to use the term rolls Royce.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's fine, Okay, that's completely legit Macdaddy. Ah, No way, all right, You've given us plenty to think about here.
Speaker 2: I would love to hear your thoughts listeners as to what you think of this and whether any of this has made sense and whether anything is actually resonated with you and helps you find an element of maybe flow financial flow.
Speaker 1: Okay, And if people want to get in touch with you on through Instagram, through Instagram is the best way to reach you, all right. And you can hear every day with Sean Aylmer on Fear and Greed, daily business news for people who make their own decisions. Thank you for listening to how Do They Afford That? Remember to hit follow on the podcast. And the best thing you can do is tell somebody else about the podcast or Betty yet just send them this episode and help us spread the word about how do they Afford That? Thank you very much for your company. Join us again next week