Speaker 1: Welcome to How Do They Afford That? The podcast that peeks into the financial lives of everyday Australian. So I'm Michael Thompson. I'm an author and the co host of the business news podcast Fear and Greed. As always, I'm in the studio with Canna Campbell, financial planner and founder of Sugar Mama TV, the financial literacy platform covering YouTube podcasts, books, Instagram threads, TikTok and more. And Canna, you practically bounced into the studio today with excitement about today's topic. You call me yawning so late night, early morning, probably a combination of both, was it.
Speaker 2: I've been working very hard recently, so yes, I am a little bit tired, and I have three kids that do not sleep through the night. So yes, I'm tired and starts now get a bit cranky.
Speaker 1: Oh why do you have to bring the cranky side into the studio with Really do?
Speaker 2: I really do?
Speaker 1: Yeah? But when you do it, you make it last. It feels like it stays with me for months.
Speaker 2: I thought I really was subtle in hiding that that yawn in my may mouth. You were not.
Speaker 1: Today's episode is basically for anyone who feels like they are starting from zero, right, no savings.
Speaker 2: Or even restarting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly, maybe some debt, maybe no investments, not sure where to begin, not sure how to turn things around, and not sure how to get going today if that is you, today is about where to start, right, So it is it is kind of back to basics. But yeah, as you say, it's not necessarily just for say a twenty year old kind of getting going. This is for perhaps restarting. Yeah, you're fine.
Speaker 2: I think there's a lot more people out there than one would think.
Speaker 1: All right, what does what does that look like? Then? What does starting from scratch look like in real life?
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, it's not about laziness or poor choices sometimes, you know, it's just a matter of you know, situational So you know where you've been, say, living to paycheck to paycheck, or you didn't have emergency money, or you had some consumer debt from some bad decisions that you made that now come with regret, or you know that anxiety over money or avoidance, which were spoken about lots of times, you know, avoiding looking at your bank balances or credit card statements, or you know, knowing deep down that it's time for a change.
Speaker 1: Okay. So in that case, we're not who'll be talking about. We're not talking about necessarily just young people, students, et cetera. Starting out. It could put someone coming out of a relate.
Speaker 2: Relationships, or people like parents, maybe re entering the workforce, have had time out, or actually people who have moved from another country, you know, particularly if they've had to leave, you know, a toxic situation and they're literally coming here to start afresh, and or anyone who's decided, okay, all right, I need to do things differently. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Or perhaps if you've had your head in the sand for a long time and you pulled it out and you got sand in your ears and your eye, sand everywhere, shaking the sand off, and now you're going, all right, now it's time to get stuck in and have a go. Yeah, okay, all right, So now we know what this looks like. Who we're talking about. Where do you start? Is it about fixing the problems first, and we mentioned that maybe you might have some debt there, or then trying to build or is it changing the order up? I don't know.
Speaker 2: So the first start to the first place to start is very much internal and that's like, you know, compassion, you know, whatever has happened in your past can't be a race by this, but we can definitely build upon the experience you've got. So you want to sort of look at creating stability before you start looking at growing financially, you know, creating that rock solid foundation for yourself, and that from a practical point of view, that starts with looking at your cash flow and stopping, you know, the financial leaks in your life and addressing the habits that are creating or leading you constantly back to say, you know, toxic debt. And this is the empowering part is you don't actually have to fix absolutely everything that's you know, and I say wrong inverted commas before you start feeling, you know, start rebuilding yourself. It's about focusing on one area at a time before you move on to the next.
Speaker 1: In that case, you're starting with compassion and you are kind of accepting that that's.
Speaker 2: Your passes your past. Build upon from that.
Speaker 1: Okay, you can't change anything. Visibility awareness, budget, yes, is that the next practical step.
Speaker 2: Yes, but budgeting is not something you just do on its own. And obviously the budget gives you that orientation where it tells you where you stand right now financially and what's happening with the money that you earn and your responsibilities and your obligations. But that also can help help reduce that sense of fear because you know where you stand and you have that that clarity. But the goals, when you can learn how to put a goal into your budget, which is something I teach, it starts to give a whole new depth and meaning to what budgeting really means to your life and how your budget is actually a very powerful tool because when you connect your budget to the goals, it actually starts to light something up within you. And this is where you go, all right, what's the first area that I want to tackle in rebuilding myself financially from restarting again. And this is where you would look at, you know, what stresses you out the most, and you then look at your budget and go, all right, what stresses me out the most is the credit card debt that I've got, And so you would build some goals and you would build a debt repayment plan into your budget, so you prioritize that happening. But you also quickly start to see the progress in that credit card debt coming down.
Speaker 1: Okay, So it is a Step one is a period of assessment. Actually this is step two because self care was the first one compassion for compassion. Step two is assessment of where the stresses are, where the pressure.
Speaker 2: And where the biggest pressure is, Like what is and even though it may not financially be the smartest thing to tackle, it's what stresses you out the most, because this is where we're looking at soothing yourself quickly rather than thinking, well, okay, financially, we should technically be tackling the debt first rather than emotion like they say the emergency money. And there is an element obviously of common sense, but we're talking about getting you out of survival mode into a place where you're like, all right, I'm feeling a lot more stable, resilient and empowered and then you can come back to That makes mathematicals and financial.
Speaker 1: Sense actually really interesting because I'm I'm a little surprised by that that I would have thought that you would have still had your kind of mathematical hat on there and said, no, you need to go with the one that's going to make the biggest difference, or that's the highest interest rate. But in the end, if you are coming out of a situation where you have known what you're doing, or you might have might have been a rough kind of period, that there is still an element of needing to take care of yourself through this. So you go for the thing that is causing you the greatest amount of stress, even if it might not be the debt with the highest interest rate, or it might not be the thing that's going to make the biggest impact long term, it will have a bigger impact on the way you feel and the way you motivate yourself then to achieve subsequent goals.
Speaker 2: Exactly, it's about alleviating that stress and anxiety and as I said, to get you out of that fight or flight mode into a place where you can be calm and rational and move forward. And you know, it's almost like sort of medication to help you Know, you've got a headache, Yes, you could put you know, push through the headaches is not too bad, or you can take some patatoll and Eurofine get rid of the headaches. You can then focus on what you know, the rest of the stuft that you need to get done for the day. You know, it's a way of getting yourself into a safe space so that you can move forward.
Speaker 1: Okay, I feel like it's a little bit premature then to ask you about emergency money money and whether that is now a good time to start thinking about that. But surely if you're in this kind of situation, then emergency money is probably going to be something that will help alleviate stress and alleviate pressure.
Speaker 2: It's interesting you say this because there's a lot of sort of conflicting content I see online about whether you should focus on paying off debt first or whether you should build up emergency money first, and it seems to people are suing to be in one party or the other, and there isn't really any direct answer. It's whatever works best for you and makes you feel safest, because often if people are rebuilding, they are feeling about fragile, they aughing vulnerable. You need to learn how to self soothe in a financially wise way, so you know, some people would say would prefer to actually see emergency money so that they don't ever have to go back into credit card debt, Versus some people would go, you know what, I'd rather just deal with a credit card first. Or some people will actually go. You know what I need both. I've got to spare one hundred dollars per month. I'm going to put fifty dollars into an emergency savings account. I'm going to put that fifty dollars as an extra debt repay plan. You have to know what is going to work best for you right now in order to continue on seeing that progress and feel like you're actually making a difference and changing your life and turning it around.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're going to take a quick break. When we come back, we're going to talk about some more of these practical steps, because I feel like this is actually a really helpful how to guide is to just get up, get going, and get started. It's great. Back in a moment, Kenna. We are putting together. It's quite an informal list. Really. Normally I love a good list on this podcast, and normally I'll say we're doing eight things or twenty steps or something. Today was just about this is how to get started if you're starting from scratch with money, start here. But naturally that has progressed into a list of a sort. So we've got the first plant, which is just taking care of yourself and being gentle with yourself, and then it is about awareness and assessing and then picking those points that are causing you the most stress and focusing on those end weighing up the value of emergency money within that and providing yourself that buffer that is going to protect you moving forward as well. What's next and kind of thinking that in a lot of situations, if you're in this case, money will probably be fairly tight when you are starting off on a financial journey, how then do you choose the next priority?
Speaker 2: Well, this is where clarity actually matters more than the speed of the progress. So you would focus purely on the essentials, you know, things like you know, food, shelter, clothing, you know, like I say, clothing materials. You could just have clothes to wear every day. So just the absolute essentials only, and then obviously trying to minimize as much as you possibly can incurring any more high interest debt, and that debt obviously from growing. So even you can only put the minimum payment plans in place so that the interest you're just paying the interest you're not paying down the principle of the loan. That's what it is for this point in time, So be it then going back to that budget and building up buffers. You know, you never do a budget where you budget to the dollar. You should be rounding everything up to the nearest five, ten, fifty, one, hundred dollars or even thousand dollars, so you've got a safe buffer in place for the natural ebbs and flows of expenses going up up and down, you know, depending on the time of the year, depending on the month, depending on inflation and the cost of living. And then you would start as you start to build that resilience, you then start looking at being able to add things back into your budget when things are tight, as things start to alleve it and you're able to see the debts coming down, the emergency money coming up, feeling a greater sense of control where you are directing your cash flow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it feels like it kind of feels like a triage kind of thing in an emergency department, like of figuring out out where the most urgent kind of thing is, what's causing the biggest problem and dealing with with those. A lot of this though, is it's not negative, but it's repairing. Yeah, it feels like you are fixing the debt. You are trying to get your budget sorted. You are trying to build that emergency money as your buffer. When the things turn to the positive, when do you start looking to the future and looking to growth. When can you set those financial goals that might be Hey, I'm starting from scratch, I'm getting my debt under control, but I want to start investing as well.
Speaker 2: I think you can set these goals as early as you like. It's not like yet you can't you're forbidden for setting any investing goals until you've paid off your credit card debt. I don't think it works like that. If anything, I actually encourage people to start thinking about those things early because they can act as the source of motivation to see yourself all the way through. You know you use that. Thank God, I can't wait to pay off this credit card debt because at the moment I've done, I can start working on my investing journey. So that is perfectly fine, but obvious from coming back unfortunately to that for what is the financially smartest Yes, getting rid of the seeing the debt's gone. And I'm not talking about waiting till you power your home loan here to start misting. I'm talking, you know, really about that toxic debt, where debt is something like buy now, pay later, credit card debt, car loans, personal loans. Prioritizing that because you know, particularly for someone who's gone through a tough time or is literally restarting again scratch, particularly later in life. It's like building a house. You want to build a house that can survive all the elements, when the rain, fire, you name it, the scorching heat. So you build a house somewhere safe and stable, and you build a really strong, rock solid foundation so that when those storms happen, which are part of life, the damage is minimal and you can quickly repair it and continue on living on the house. It's the same principle with money and not even just starting a generally in building financial freedom, but it probably means more to someone who's starting again because there has been some time that's passed. They've got potentially some catching up to do, and they're aware of the financial fragility of life how it impacts them. So building that rock sort foundation is particularly important and particularly valuable to avoid this situation ever happening again.
Speaker 1: That's great advice. What about superannuation and can you use that almost as a bit of a bit of a cheat almost as to feel like you're starting to be involved in investing, even if you're not setting up a dedicated investment portfolio or anything just yet. That might be a little bit further down the track, but at least you can feel engaged with your financial future by just paying a bit more attention to your superannuation, which might be sitting there in the background.
Speaker 2: Superannuation is not cheating superinnation.
Speaker 1: As soon as I said that, I was like, ah, she's gonna pick me up on that.
Speaker 2: But absolutely, I mean, and look for a lot of people, you know, particularly in the latest stages of life, that are restarting from scratch, you know, for whatever reason, you know, superannuation actually is is their foundation, and it is will often be their central point of focus in rebuilding themselves because it makes sense financially to utilize superannuation. And they're even people who have actually got money, but it's actually far more efficient for them to focus on their superinnuation. So obviously, yes, you get professional personal advice around this, but you know, engaging with your super is definitely part of an important part of the equation, and it definitely forms a huge percentage of that rock solid foundation that I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: Two part question, and I there's a high likelihood that you will dodge the first part, how long does it usually take before people start to feel moment him and I don't want you to just say how long's a piece of string? Because I wasn't going to say that. Of course, I never doubted you for a moment. And then the second part, part B of this two part question is if things are slow at the beginning, it probably will be.
Speaker 2: Right, of course it will, but yeah.
Speaker 1: How do you stay motivated?
Speaker 2: Okay, So to answer the first question about which was, oh my gosh, how long?
Speaker 1: How long does it usually take before you start to see a bit of progress here?
Speaker 2: Why did you have to ask me to two questions at the same time. Okay, it's so quick. The moment you sit down and go all right, I'm going to rebuild myself. I'm going to I'm going to have a resurrection, I'm going to reinvent myself. The moment you make that decision, instantly you feel better. Instantly, you've made a decision, You've made a commitment to promise yourself. Okay, if you can then up the ante on that and start writing down on a piece of paper, pen to paper. All right, this is what I'm going to do. This is my goals, these are my dreams, is my vision. Already you're feeling better within minutes, so there's none of this I have to wait, and I can only start feeling good. Wants to see the debt paid off in full? No, that's ridiculous. The moment you start to feel good is the moment you make a decision and I promise yourself to improve the situation, to be better, to do better, and to learn and to grow, and to use this, you know, as a it's almost like a foundation to make use your life experience to help you make better decisions so that further down the track you don't repeat history. So yeah, instantly, is that my answer?
Speaker 1: You might have been yawning when you walked in, but lit a fire under you. Now here we go.
Speaker 2: I'm about to fall flat on my face because I've forgot the other question you have.
Speaker 1: I was going to just feed it to you again, just to save face for you. How do you stay motivated then, because that would be a big burst when you get started, you would feel this rush, right, But it's kind of like any new Year's resolution or something. You get this big burst of enthusiasm at the start, but once the real kind of the work kicks in, it is hard to keep that motivation. How do you do it?
Speaker 2: From a practical point, tracking your progress is really important, So cape keep keeping a journal or keeping a note in your phone, or keeping an Excel spreadsheet where you can put this is the date, this is how much I've got emergency savings, This is how much I've got in this credit card debt, that credit card debt, that credit card debt, And so you can go back and go, wow, look at where I was this time last month. It might only be a small shift, but it's a shift in the right direction. Also, another thing I think is really powerful is to think about the sort of keywords when you think about your future. You know, you know, you think, okay, well my future is now going to be feel stable, it's going to feel secure, i am going to feel independent, I'm going to feel proud. Just those keywords to remind yourself as to what you're working towards and the feelings that you are attracting into your life. Also, I think is very motivating and inspiring. And then even from like a manifestation point of view, visualizing yourself succeeding, you know, to help keep you motivated. See yourself making that final debt repayment. See yourself calling up your best friend to say, guess what, I'm so proud of myself. I've just paid off twenty thousand dollars with a credit card dead and in you know, eighteen months. I can't believe I did it. You know, it's not going to be a walk in the park. You can't expect this to be like a magical transition overnight, like you know that saying you just like I just walked out of a salon like looking like this. You know, it doesn't happen like that. It is hard work, and there are a lot of really confronting, uncomfortable lessons to be gained from doing the hard work. And there is I really genuinely believe in the gestation period in doing the work to improve your situation, regardless whether you're starting from scratch or whether you're just working on something really big. You know, there's so much to be gained beyond the numbers and the dollars.
Speaker 1: All right, final word, someone's listening to this right now, perhaps feeling a bit overwhelmed. The one step they should take today to get started, I.
Speaker 2: Think is to make a serious promise to yourself that it stops here. You draw that line in the sand and go from this very moment, in this defining moment in my life listening to this podcast right now, my life needs to change and I'm committed to doing things differently. It starts today now, not tomorrow, today, in this very moment.
Speaker 1: It's very strong finish from someone who is yawning twenty minutes ago. I am awake now, and that's really positive. I think that's a really, really great message to leave on that. Really the only thing that is preventing you from getting started is just it is you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's a money block, really, isn't it. That's great? Okay. Anyone who wants more information, you head to Instagram.
Speaker 2: Yes, the best place to get in contact with me is on Instagram at sugar mam My TV.
Speaker 1: Perfect and you can hear me every day with Sean Aylmer on Fear and Greed business News. You can use thank you for listening to how do they afford that? Remember to hit follow on the podcast. That is very important and tell somebody else send them a link to this episode if you think that they might benefit from having a listen to, how do they afford that? Thank you for your company, Join us again next week.