Speaker 1: It's all the best stat is What do you what do you think about the respective sides?
Speaker 2: Firstly your Coins Land side, well.
Speaker 3: I think from both teams, I think sort of injuries have played a part. You know, both Laurie and Billy would have had a plan and then a few injuries late sort of change those. I think there's definitely a different style of play. I think I think the Moses Cleary Yo combination is something that is repetition trust, so there's a lot of combo work in that and they will move the football around a little bit more yep for the Maroons and that sort of storm combination of Munster and put Harry Grant in that throw Kalin in the back. I think Billy's game plan will be long game and one of their best players to come up with a play, if that makes sense. I don't think there's a lot of combination work compared to the New South Wales side, but I think both have strengths and weaknesses.
Speaker 1: What do you reckon good looking pack coins pack wake Tina ruben Cot I love corderis player Jeremiah and I is a good form and Carrying's got that mouth injury, but he's going to be okay, Yeah, it's a it's a strong pack with Harry Grant through the middle.
Speaker 2: It's it's funny looking at.
Speaker 1: The the nature of the Queensland back line.
Speaker 2: It's very much attack based.
Speaker 1: And when you look at New South Wales, which get to in a second, it's more you know, I look at I look at our wingers and our and our full back.
Speaker 2: It's very much yardage based. But look Queensland.
Speaker 1: Look monster there hammer the bench, Ded and Lindsay Collins both for more gets the start world done, Trentley eero.
Speaker 2: But the big one is Robert Toyer.
Speaker 3: Wow, yeah was it ten games into his career and he's playing origin That normally doesn't happen for some of the best players. They ever well in the game, really well.
Speaker 2: As you know, if Billy picks him, you know he's ready thorough.
Speaker 3: Yes, if Billy's watched more football than you and I, right, But we sit there and have seen glimpses of what Robert Toyer can do. And there's no doubt that he has got big stage written all over. That sort of right foot, that fan, he's got a flick passing him. But I'll tell you what he's going to have to have one of the best defensive performance in his lifetime because he will be coming up against Latroll Mitchell. That's the that's the disadvantage for you. If I'm sitting in Queensland, You've got Hammer and Rob Toyer against Stephen Crichton and Latrell Mitchell. Yes, yeah, that's that's that's a mismatch if you just put on paper.
Speaker 2: Yeah, on paper.
Speaker 1: I said before about Latrell and Stephen Crichton growing up watching Origin through the eighties and remind does remind me as far as physical presence and intimidation June Miles of Malmeninger.
Speaker 2: It's got that, It's got that that big.
Speaker 3: How Okay, if you've got Stephen and Latrell and your Moses and Cleary, what's your style of play?
Speaker 2: Okay, let's talk about that right.
Speaker 1: So I look at the New South Wales side and it's a great yardage side, great YARDI side Dylan Edbwood, Brian Zach Lomax.
Speaker 2: They will dominate yardage, They'll alleviate a lot of pressure off the forwards.
Speaker 1: And if New South Wales can win yardage, that means that we will consistently put Nathan Cleary in a position for attacking kicks. And as you know, if you've got Nathan consistently getting down there and be able to put in the attacking kicks, then you he's going to start nailing them.
Speaker 2: You know they're going to start. He's going to produce tries.
Speaker 1: So if we're talking about the style of football will play, I think simplicity. I think simplicity, very direct, get up field. I don't want to I've said this before, to start the game. I really want to see Nathan and Mitchell Moses running the football early, get their compass right. Don't want to see the ball just pushed sideways. I think you know that will go away from our strengths out the strength of this New South Wales side with those back threes.
Speaker 2: Is going to be playing nice and direct.
Speaker 3: I think New South Wales has got more combination work with the ability to move the football when is Aeo goes there, like his ability to know when to pull the trigger and pass. And Nathan he's better than anyone else in the game, so he'll understand when to run and when to pass. I just feel like with those centers that you have, they need to get the ball at some stage right. So you're going to shift the ball promoted to give them the opportunity one on one.
Speaker 1: It's funny you said about moving the football there. I think New South Wales has got to be They've got to be selected when they shift the ball.
Speaker 2: I suppose what I want to see is a little bit of a shift there, a little bit of shift there.
Speaker 1: Go back to a little bit shift what you're looking for. If we're going to move for pole playing nice and direct, get the ball to an edge and then open the field up.
Speaker 2: You know, if that's we got the ability.
Speaker 1: For Latrell and Stephen Crichton to move and start to swing together on one side of the field, and.
Speaker 3: Then for Queensland to win. I think their style of player is going to be, like I said earlier, a little bit more long gamish than New South Wales. If they're foward, per can be dominant for longer periods, keep the score line close. I think Munster, I think Calen Ponger and I think Harry Grant have individual bruants in them, so it's more like a team game. To get to the seventy fifth minute and then one of the best players, yeah strike I from Queensland. I'm worried about Latrelle and Stephen Crichton whose New South Wales worried about.
Speaker 2: For Queensland, it looks it's Munster, you know.
Speaker 1: And because we've said this before, when you talk about the greatest Oriagin players of all time, we always looked at the past with rose colored glasses, you know, we glorify the past a.
Speaker 2: Lot of times.
Speaker 1: But when you talk about the greatest Origin plays of all time, he's got to be. He's got to be in the conversation. Things he has done for Queensland, you know, when they've needed in big games, in big moments, he just always stands up.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: You talk about that Origin debut where he got Men of the Match and you blokes tell me that his last training session going into that game is probably the worst training session. Now, how are we going to shuffle this flag out of the seamon?
Speaker 3: He came up to me and said, mate, what do I do? I just trained so bad? I said, mate, just keep doing what you doing. He'd be right mate, But that that mindset like is what makes him great. And I feel like if he can rub off on Kaylen Palmer who's coming from Newcastle, that's he's in he's in a run himself at Clubland. But what Kaylen has done for Queensland over his course, there's flashes of brilliance. Yeah, I'll tell you what, Like if if, if Billy can just get Kaylen in a really good spot. I just think that combination of Munster and Kaylen Pomer together, particularly on both their favored left hand side, could be the thing for Queenland.
Speaker 2: Just on Munster. He was on the show last night.
Speaker 1: He's a character that's not that bad, but like he's just he's a class actor and particularly the way he has a lot to be made. But I no want to go on about but how he's turned his life around. You sitting there last night, like kicking the burs and stopping that, I mean, you know that's hard to do because a lot of it is culture. We get there in rugby league. I said it last night. You know, you have a win, you want to have a beer. You have a loss, you want to have a beer. You let's find a reason to have a beer together. And for Munster to actually kick that and turn his life around. It's a lot more difficult than you know, than it seems. So he's incredible. How Fitty looks eighty nine key laps.
Speaker 3: The great players always find something to improve in. Now, you and I sit here and say, there's not a lot he can improve on the football field, right, But I'll tell you what, there's a fair chunk he could improve off the field to help that. And there's no doubt that anyone that's sort of overtakes the mickey, but anyone that's sort of gone off the drink or applied themselves more. The proof is in the performance. It shows up at some stage.
Speaker 2: And it shows the attitude. It shows attitude.
Speaker 1: Preg nomination for New South Wales is Nahing Cleary, Mitchell Moses, and on paper and in theory this is a brilliant combination. But as we said before, Mitchell's in the six and there's no doubt Mitchell probably will have to play left to play a slightly different role that does with paramount.
Speaker 3: I think, yes, I agree, and there'll be a sort of let one go, you know, the other one stands up and takes. But I really like how Laurie Day explained that decision. The kicking game in Origin is crucial and Mitchell moses the best kicker from fifty meters plus. He'll turn an average set into a great set and if he can control the long game kicking and as it gets closer to the trialer Nathan controls a little bit more. I think that's the ying and the yang that work for New South Wales and ultimately, if you want to New South Wales to win, those two will find the best read of I think that's where it sits.
Speaker 1: And it's a great combination coop because I mean their big game experience, particularly Nathan, but Mitchell's a lot of big game experience as well, and he's got that and Mitchell's got plenty of healthy against so going up to some Corps stadium is not gonna worry either of because as you're no coops like and I say this fair bit young playmakers, when you're going into really big games, it's really important going into big games, when you're in the halves amongst all the chaos is going on, You've got to keep your head and you've you've got to control your adrenaline. Ice fine, and it's tempted when you get into those really big games and the adrenaline starts pouring through you and the first thing you start to do is.
Speaker 2: Zinging the ball around sidelines.
Speaker 1: Is sold on a little bit where these two blokes know what it takes to win big games. Very level headed, very good pushing sides around the park.
Speaker 2: It's great combination.
Speaker 3: If you're Billy, what are you doing with Tom Didon? What's your plan? Because he is more than just a player that sits there.
Speaker 1: Is Yeah, well, I mean, I mean you're not going to replace Munster or DC, you know, so it's an interesting one.
Speaker 2: Coops, So what do you do?
Speaker 1: I mean, does he is he there just to relieve Harry Grant?
Speaker 3: I think Harry Grant stays out there too. The thing for me is, I think Billy needs to tie the injection of Tom Diddon. Patrick Carrigan is a beast. He will play eighty minutes, but to him be full throttle and lead that pack will be hard for him to do. So it's almost like you get Carrigan off after thirty minutes, put Diaden on it lock if the game is in your favor, if there's a swing of possession coming Queensland's way, get him on the field strike and then after five minutes in the second half, if it feels like it's gone the la, get Carrigan back out there for a period of time, then he might be able to strike with fifteen to go again. But he is too valuable because the greatest strength of Tom Didon is the show and go. Once there's fatigue in the game of origin, I don't care who you are, the fuel tank is empty, and if he's in front of you, that speed and footwork and the sharpness at which he comes at you at I think that could be a play. But he needs to time that card perfectly because if it's defending all the time, he's just going to be caught the washing machine at all.
Speaker 1: Talking about the Cooper, He's perfectly suit into that thirteen role, isn't.
Speaker 2: He's got all the attributes you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's quick, he's got good he's got good first step quickness, he's got the show and go a little bit of skill, he's got good footwork.
Speaker 2: But crucially he's tough and.
Speaker 3: That's why I say he'll make his tackles. But the timing of when Queensland, if Billy can predict the possession count go in their favor for a ten minute period, that's when you get him on the field. Anyone.
Speaker 2: No, Corey Harsbrough and that surprise that surprises me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, the Lindsay Collins back in after one game. Maybe he could have played there, but Lindsay's done it. Lindsay's the type of guy that you give him that color, that jersey that you're wearing right now. I know he puts the Superman cape on, right, So I think that's the one year. But I don't mind Furmore and Lierro like there's a little bit of enthursdays and there, and the way that Billy has coached the likes of Riese Walsh particularly Robbed Twitter. He put Hammer in the centers when everyone was like, oh, I don't know, Like he backs youth because he sees a lot of energy energy in them.
Speaker 2: Just looking in your southwest side.
Speaker 1: As I've said before, if I was Lorry, you know i'd be I'd be sitting down in the last two weeks going okay, where can I can I get perhaps in there somewhere.
Speaker 3: What are you thinking about? Max King?
Speaker 1: It's a it's an interesting one weld under world under maxis.
Speaker 2: He's been obviously club for club form because.
Speaker 3: You think about that pack and it's got Kurt Man and Hayward play there a little bit like they're a smallish pack compared But his performance up against the Roosters was very good. Yeah, he got smashed early on, but then he was the biggest body in the middle that turned the tide for the Dogs. And it just goes to show that. You know, there's some other players that were spoken more about. Ye May was in there, Stefano. You talkmo, But Max King? How can I say this comparatively to those guys? Max King probably does the one if that makes sense. If someone needs to tackle himself for a standstill for what fifteen to twenty minutes, I think that's why Laurie would have gone with Max King.
Speaker 1: Well done Max, and to the family too. He's got four generations of footballers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, his dad was.
Speaker 1: A good footballer. He played for the Gold Coast Surguls. His grandfather, Johnny is a legend, you know. I mean Johnny won mile of premierships with those incredible Saint George's teams and then went and coasted Western Vision. They call it the Last Ferry, the Last Great fairy Tale, where they went Western Vision were put into the midweek the Panasonic Cup or the MC Cup and won the whole thing.
Speaker 2: So yeah, they'd be very, very proud nose.
Speaker 1: Last week we're talking about just telling a lie of the football, and we did a lot of it last week, but Lucky Galvin last night did a little one and it just showed again the benefit of it. And you're seeing Jamie Humphries. That little look in makes Humphreys turn in. He's runner on the outside. Didn't quite give him enough time. And you were just talking about there we probably overplayed a little bit too much.
Speaker 3: You're saying we might be influencing the halves and the competition.
Speaker 1: Oh it must watch television.
Speaker 3: This is good, but I think it could be so much better. See that the double look like he overplayed his hand. If you talk about that rail play where you've got one support player inside you, which is Puller and save Farth on the outside, if he looks in at Buller and stays straighter for a little bit longer and then snaps out hard to Humphreys, I think you put save Farth the way. I think you just overcooked it slightly like there you go straight see that double look he went out in out again? Yes, I think if he was just square and went looked in here and then bounced out to Humphreys. I think he puts yeah, yeah, back roll through.
Speaker 1: And it just shows that doesn't know what would talk talking about how it disorientates the defense. So Jamie Humphreys when he looks in, Jamie Humphreys as well looks in and goes towards him.
Speaker 2: Dogs, Warriors and Sharks. You want to make a point about these sorts, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: Warriors, Warriors, Raiders, Sharks. So the Dogs are in first, Storm are in fourth. Both of those teams have some origin affected players. The Storm have been there a thousand times. They'll know how to get through it. The Dogs this is their first sort of time having a big chunk of players involved. So I feel like the Sharks don't have one origin player, the Warriors of Barnett, the Raiders have young. I think it's an opportunity for these three teams, particularly if you go and have a look at the draw. I think the Sharks, the Warriors, and the Raiders it's time for them to win a big chunk. I'm saying six seven of the next eight take advantage of the rest of the competition and fly out there and solidified top four spot. Because those two teams don't want to drop a top four spot, but these other three aren't affected during Origin have a chance to move one of those teams out for that run home towards back in the year.
Speaker 2: It's I think Dogs, Warriors and Raiders that started the.
Speaker 1: Year moving into the mid season, for those guys to be one, two, three, jeez, what odds you would get? I mean, they're playing great football, like those three sides. Is there anything in the game? Is there anything this year apart from just natural improvement in those sides that has basically turned the turn that the ladder on its head a little bit.
Speaker 3: I think for the Sharks, I think they're a consistent team on the Fitzgibbon that they have been. They've played finals probably once of big games, but I feel like they've done the foundation of the last three years and they're about to spring like they're about to understand what it takes. The Warriors, for me, I think the Fisher Harris Barnett leadership with the injection of Luke Metcalf. Shawn Johnson was there, who was a legend of the Warriors in New Zealand, but Luke's bought this sort of youthful enthusiasm, leg speed and they capitalize on it, like some of the defensive efforts and the moments that he has had in the last few weeks, like he's a gun player. And the Raiders, for me, I think they've just got good balance between tough forward pack and aergetic outside backs. But they if they can win I'm going to say six on the next eight. Seven in the next eight, I think they're going to start believing that they can win the premiership definitely, and you look at you go have a look at their their run potentially, like they've got the Warriors, Rooster's South, then the bye after that if they have won a big chunk of those. After that, buy they've got teams towards the bottom of the ladder and that could be a big thing for them. Finishing top four and believing like that team I think needs to believe that they can win it.
Speaker 1: A lot of a lot of young guys on the side make very fast side. Crucially've all got football ko weeks. He Cheezy was good yesterday, particularly in the first half.
Speaker 3: So was it Tarpani, Papoli and young So they've played big chunk of finals back when Ricky got the Grand Final in nineteen either side of that, but that outside backs probably haven't played from off the tom. I had a lot of big games. Yeah, so they need to know that they're second third, you know, not going to miss out on top four player home final. Like I think that's something that those outside backs probably need. Belief and confidence.
Speaker 1: You just said about Luke Metcalf and I just just wrote here. As we move into the halfway part of the season, you know, Gold, Silver, Bronze as far as individual players, and I've gone gold Stephen Crichton, I think on because it's more than just performance, it's leadership an impact he's.
Speaker 2: Having on this competition.
Speaker 1: Silver, I've gone Luke Metcalf for all the things you've explained there, and Bronze.
Speaker 2: Adam feriniul Blake.
Speaker 1: His performance souther nine against the Storm was one of the best yardach performance I have seen. You know, as you know, Coop, if you can run for over one hundred meter you're doing good. He had over one hundred post contact meters. For people don't know what's when once you hit hit the defensive line, how you drive through.
Speaker 3: So put it in context. You and I never had post contact meters one hundred in one game.
Speaker 1: He has been He has been incredible and as you said before, finally now going into this season, everyone looked at the addition of him into this side and go, okay, now they're a contender. They're showing that. Now finally they're showing to put you.
Speaker 3: On the spot here, Luke Metcalfe half Back of the year right now. Oh you would have thought that at the start of the season.
Speaker 1: Well after after round one, I saw a bit.
Speaker 3: We spoke about this, I saw a bit in him during the preseason, and then we went out to Vegas. It was like, okay, maybe we missed it, but what he's shown during pre season has definitely come through. And you think about the talent that we have in the half back position our competition. Look at the origin players, yes, Roses Cleary, Cherry Evans, and he is right now ahead of those in terms of performance. Leading the Daly Ms yep.
Speaker 1: That that Vegas game, watching the Warriors and how they've adjusted their football off that I thought the in Vegas, the Warriors actually tried to do too much and I ended up playing two sideways getting pushed over the sideline from the Raiders. What they've done, They've simplified their football they've Wade Egan has been so crucial to that side and crucial to Metcalf because he's allowed. He allows Medcalf to sometimes and I don't mean to take a rest, but you mentally be able to just relax for a little bit, you know, take some take some breathers, and then just focus on his running game. So they're I just I really like the way they're playing football. Wouldn't that they wouldn't that be a story? You know, they come through and win this competition with the Wars. You know, they have been so good for the game. I had fears keep going into this year. I thought, yeah, because the support they were getting and you know, the War's phenomenon, and then last year had a difficult season, and then what happened in Round one in Vegas. I thot on, they don't don't tell me they're going to drop straight off, but they'll bounced back.
Speaker 3: And credit to them because they've delivered off the back of what they're doing playing.
Speaker 1: Give me a team who's who's doing better than the latter indicates, So.
Speaker 3: I have Panthers are down the bottom. They're a better team than that. Of course, yes, I think this slow start is really going to be a weight on their back for a period of time. Like the way that they have at stages shown that they are back. I just they can't stay there for much longer. Do they make finals. That's a long run, but I think they can still. They might slip into eighth.
Speaker 2: Those top sides.
Speaker 1: Will whoever the Panthers play again in that that run home, they be cheering against them because they sneak into the eight, get in there, they can get all the way.
Speaker 3: Win because in the big games they put it together. When they're in Vegas, they put it together at different stage the Roosters. Who else they beat the Broncos was it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they can put it together. What about you?
Speaker 2: What is the love the Dragons? Dragons?
Speaker 1: Dragons were terrific yesterday. Round one had a tough loss to the Dogs. That form has shown that it's it's good form. But they've lost three games by a single single point. To me, they're not one of the top contenders. Okay, but I just think they're playing better than THEO then the latter indicates and I like what I really like what Gutson has been a great pick up for them.
Speaker 2: His leadership has been has been terrific.
Speaker 3: I give Gatson a rat because the back end of his time it looked as though he had lost his spark and his spinning his legs, and he's always an effort based player and he would never lose that. But when you look at the Dragon's spine before the season started, I thought, like, who's going to hit the scoreboard? Like the halves are not like dynamic and running the football and break out of the line, the line breakers, they're good creative players, but what Guthson has done to the attack has been the absolute difference. Otherwise there'd be in a lot of trouble. Yeah, they would be.
Speaker 1: Team you're worried about your old mom. Yeah, I'm the same, really concerned about where this season is headed. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now I'm not worried about them. They're going good. But you have my.
Speaker 1: Old side, the Newcastle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's made.
Speaker 1: It's it's hard going at the moment, really hard going. So they just can't unlock Kaylen. They just can't work. They just can't find a formulae in their attack to get him into consistently into space.
Speaker 3: If I was still capable, I would love to play half back with Kaylen Ponger.
Speaker 4: See if we haven't, because like he is all the attributes you need in someone to be a threat to help you do your thing, and talking about some of the ball playing, the nuances and things.
Speaker 3: I know it's not as easy as what we say, like there's some like some parts so that it's quite difficult. But if you could just get some assistance for Klein, they would be a much better team. And I'm not saying Dylan Brown, I'm saying right now, yes, they need to find something that even if it's as structured as you know, let's move Kaylen over to the less hand side of the field, park someone on the right, and once that fullback puts too many numbers.
Speaker 2: On Kleine, take it.
Speaker 3: Take it like it just needs to be something to help him do his thing.
Speaker 2: Coop. Kylen gets the ball and it's three on three.
Speaker 1: He doesn't even need a numerical advantage the moment, it's just even numbers. The defense sits. So sometimes I look and they'll get there.
Speaker 2: They'll work to the half field and I try to little play on. You know.
Speaker 1: It's as you know, working from the half field can be problematic. Sometimes you want to work work the ball to the fast height.
Speaker 2: And just open the field after Klen.
Speaker 3: If I had anything to do with Jack Cogger, I would say, Jack, come sit here and watch the last twenty minutes of that Grand Final versus Penrith. See what you did for clearing that. That is the art of ball playing for kayleb Ponger. Watch it over and over and over and over again. Get the feeling of going past the markers, looking in, playing out and creating space, timing of your runners around there. That is exactly what Kaylin wants. He did it for Cleary. Now. I don't know what's going on Newcastle, but it needs something to help out.
Speaker 1: Kaylen, no doubt, Brodie Coops state of origin?
Speaker 2: Mate, what's upon us?
Speaker 1: And yes, I mean I'm going to have to have the girls with wardrobe come on better.
Speaker 3: That's not their fault.
Speaker 1: Don't play