Speaker 1: From Schwartz Media. I'm Daniel James. This is seven AM. Australia is a small player in global trade compared with giants like the US and China, so when the world's two biggest economies embark on a trade war, we feel the impact. Donald Trump's knew tariffs on China could send shock waves through the Australian economy, affecting everything from iron ore exports to the cost of everyday goods. Australia is making the case that tariffs don't make economic sense, but with Trump, the usual rules don't apply. Today Chief political correspondent for the Saturday Paper Karen Barbo on how Australia is navigating a trade war it can't control and what happens if Trump doesn't listen. It's Monday, February ten. Karen. When news broke that Trump had started hitting Canada, Mexico and China with tariffs, he paid Australia's trade minister visit. What did he tell you about how big a deal this is for Australia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had time with the Trade minister this week.
Speaker 3: I mean, with all that's going on and talking to like a full board trade war, do you think free trade is under threat at the moment. Well, no Don Farrell or the Donners is known. He's Australia's top trade negotiator, is a top labor.
Speaker 2: Pal broker from the right faction.
Speaker 3: He wants to evoke this sense of calm in the mailstroom while we're getting hit every single day with what's coming out of the Trump administration. He wants to get the message out that Australia has this in hand and despite the other Donald's big stick approach you with the rest of the world, this is something that he can address in what he says, cool calm and collected way.
Speaker 4: Now, cool calm and collective way of prosecuting the arguments has been successful. I will it be with Trump?
Speaker 1: Well, I will tell.
Speaker 3: But we are talking about two of the top world economies, US and China slapping these sanctions on each other. And then we've got this middle power Australia and what it means for us. But this is going to be a top mission for him. As soon as his US counterpart, Howard Lutnik is confirmed as the Secretary of Commerce, he will be right in front of him and he wants to get Australia's message out there like.
Speaker 1: It's a tail of two dons. And so how is the government preparing for any impact on Australia.
Speaker 3: Well, the government wants to let Australians know in the first that it's done its homework. Trump and Lucknik have been flagging what they are doing right now for months.
Speaker 1: I think we should put tariffs on.
Speaker 4: Stuff we make and not put tariffs on stuff we don't make.
Speaker 1: It's pretty simple, and of course it's a barkling ship.
Speaker 3: The Treasurer Jim Chalmers has also been talking about what the tariffs mean. He has revealed that he directed Treasury to do modeling on the possible consequences of trade tensions. We have.
Speaker 5: We actually did a bunch of work with the Treasury and other colleagues before the election, anticipating either outcome, and I've had the ability to brief my colleagues on a number of occasions.
Speaker 3: Over the past few months. We've had work being done by the Trade Department. Also, we've had Penny Wong as a Foreign Minister, talked to Marco Rubio. We've had this mission now by the Defense Minister, the Deputy Prime Minister Richard Miles to talk to Pete Heigseeth, the Defense Secretary of the United States. It's all like this, three ministers going out as soon as possible to say, well, we don't need to do this.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 1: Can you give an idea of what the trade relationship is like between Australia and the US.
Speaker 3: As it stands, trade with the United States is worth seventy seven billion US dollars annually and you know within that fifty two billion dollars to the United States and they've brought back twenty five billion dollars. So there is a surplus situation here. Australia is one of the top four nations in the world with a surplus. And it doesn't make economic sense. This is the message from the Albanese government. It doesn't make economic sense to slap tariffs on us. And look what we're talking about here. We've got to take a step back and go, hey, why are we even talking about this. You know, Australia is a long term political strategic ally of the United States. Well, as Don Farrell tells me in the interview that we had, it's not just about Australia. He'll be actually advocating for the United States not to do what it's currently doing to China, which is this tariff war that's emerging.
Speaker 4: Oh, there's no doubt that can increase in Chinese terrorists to the United States would have an impact in Australia.
Speaker 3: That means a lot to Australia because Australia's largest trading partner by far as China.
Speaker 4: But we would be advocating for no terrorists on Chinese products.
Speaker 1: So Don Farrell is more concerned about how they will impact China and the knock on effect that we'll have for Australia's relationship with China in a trade sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a rare argument that Australia would go into bat for such a large superpower, But there is self interest there and that you know, this could slow demand for big ticket items such as iron ore. You know that iron ore is what we sell to China, is a significant part of Australia's budget. This is something that could raise prices for goods from China. This could affect inflation, It could raise prices of goods here in Australia.
Speaker 4: But not to say don't do it to ours something we have a strong argument I think as to why they shouldn't do it to US, but we're saying, look, free and fair trade is not just in Australia's interest, not just in China's interesting, but in the longer tournament's in the interests in the United States.
Speaker 3: So when you finally get to have a chat with girl soon to be counterpart, that would.
Speaker 2: Be one of your main messages.
Speaker 3: This should be a very simple argument that Australia is putting forward.
Speaker 2: But it's very hard to say how things are going to go.
Speaker 1: Coming up after the break. Who's better at handling Trump, labor or the coalition? Karen the Trade Minister's meeting with his US counterpart, Patty Wong, has met with hers. Richard Miles has been doing the same. But we recently spoke to Malcolm Turnbull on seven AM. He said, the only relationship that really matters is the one between the PM and Trump himself. So what's Albanezy doing to prosecute Australia's case.
Speaker 3: Well, at the moment, and remember we're not in the official campaign, but essentially we're in campaign mode and so he's been very guarded when he's been asked about Trump. He's been very pointed saying that he's not going to run a daily commentary on daily actions from Donald Trump and all his decisions. But he does cite that there is a quad meeting due in June. That's the leaders of the United States, Japan, India and Australia, and so that would happen after the election, which must be held by May seventeen.
Speaker 2: But you know, he's very much leading it to the ministers at.
Speaker 3: This stage while he concentrates on the domestic campaign. I don't think he wants to start some sort of fight with Trump in the middle of a domestic campaign.
Speaker 2: So let's leave it to the ministers.
Speaker 1: The coalition is claiming they would be better place to handle our relationship with the US. So how did the coalition fair dream last truck presidency?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, referring to Malcolm Turnbull, you know he often says that he got Trump's measure, even though you know there's the power of the United States presidency. He says he stood his ground and he's not afraid now that he's not Prime Minister anymore, to say that he is a bully.
Speaker 1: Trump is a bully.
Speaker 3: He encourages people to suck up to him, you know, notoriously. I didn't do that. I mean, that was partly my personality and partly circumstance.
Speaker 1: But I think it was a good thing.
Speaker 3: But you know, we certainly Dutton Peter Dutton says that the Coalition and Trump have a lot in common and they could work really well together. But don Farrell immediately scoffs at the suggestion that that is reality, and he points to the China situation in that the whole relationship with Australia's largest trading partner blew up under the Scott Morrison Prime ministership when he questioned the origins of the COVID nineteen pandemic and that led to like twenty billion dollars in trade sanctions against Australia, of which Australia is just getting over, still recovering. Don Farrell says that he's in fact got nine meetings with his counterpart. Things are going swimmingly and this is part of this message to the Australian public in that what the government has done with China, Farrell says that the government will do with the United States.
Speaker 1: Karen, how much harm could Trump's love of tariffs end up doing, not just to America's training partners like Australia and China, but to the United States itself.
Speaker 2: Well, I did speak to Justin Wolfis about it.
Speaker 3: He's a professor of economics and public policy at the University of Michigan. He's an Australian who's used to be on President Biden's Bureau for Economic Research. He just says, we know exactly what he's doing in that these US threats are to get exactly what he wants. He's thoroughly protectionists, and so far it's working, so Canada, Mexico, and Colombia back down within days. But it's ultimately self defeating and that when you're talking about like self interest. Ultimately you might be getting your foreign policy aims, but at the end, there's a United States consumer who's experiencing increased prices in the middle of a cost of living crisis that is going to bite. So, you know, he describes it as Trump is basically punching the American consumer in the mouth. At first, it looks like Donald Trump is getting a win, and that's very important to the United States president. But you know that would have to play out over a period of time, and you know, the administration only goes.
Speaker 2: For four years.
Speaker 1: Is that all Karen? Thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Also, in the years today, the federal government has committed more than half a billion dollars to women's health, including spending on long term contraceptives and menopause treatments. The government has also added some of the most popular contraceptive pills to the Pharmaceutical Benefit Scheme, a move that will lower the price of the drugs, benefiting an estimate of fifty thousand women. And Australia has paid the United States an eight hundred million dollars down payment for its future submarine production as part of the Orcus Agreement. In a meeting with Australian Defensive Minister and Deputy Prime Minister Richard Males, US Defense Seestry Peter Hexath said US President Donald Trump is aware of and supportive of ORCUS. The agreement is expected across Australia up to three hundred and sixty eight billion dollars over thirty years. I'm Daniel James. This is seven am. Thanks for listening.