Speaker 1: Live on Sky News This Sharry.
Speaker 2: Good Evening Tonight, Peter Dutton tries to distance himself from Donald Trump, as John Howard declares Alban.
Speaker 1: Easy is out of his depth.
Speaker 2: This is Beijing gives Albin Ezi the tick of approval. James Patterson will join me in a moment on China's endorsement of Handsome Boy Albo. Plus is Raeli Deputy Foreign Minister Sharen Haskell will be on the show as Hermas hunts down protesters.
Speaker 1: And who is going to win the election?
Speaker 2: Well, we'll get the verdict from Michael Kroger and Graham Richardson. But first tonight, one figure Peter Dutton never thought he'd have to distance himself from during this election campaign was the United States President. Yet the focus group research is clear Trump is mostly disliked by Australians and Albin Easy has been successful in linking Dutton with Donald Trump. Yet while he is on the nose in Australia, polls show Trump's popularity is at a record.
Speaker 1: High in the United States.
Speaker 2: But just like the Tampa affair cast the shadow over the two thousand and one election, the Trump factor is looming large as a dominant influence this campaign, and the mood here has turned against Trump, with polling showing that sixty percent of Australians think his election win has been bad for Australia. This jumped from the forty percent who said the same thing just in November, and even shockingly, more people think the United States is a greater threat to Australia than Russia. This even as Beijing comes out in support of alban EASi. Chinese state media today accused Dutton of beating the drums of war against China, and then they praised Albanesi.
Speaker 1: For speaking the truth.
Speaker 2: This is the most obvious sign that the Albanese government has been coosing up to China in submission to the communist dictatorship. Yet for Albanesi, China is an issue he's ignoring. He seems unconcerned about the spy ships circumnavigating our southern coast. Instead, he's capitalizing on that anti Trump sentiment, continually comparing Dutton to the President, and he's compared Elon Musk's doge cuts with Dutton's public service cuts. Never mind that Dutten is actually trying to address the debt blowout, which is on track to hit a trillion dollars next year. We're here at Albanesi's senior minister's linking Dutton to Trump.
Speaker 1: Peter Dutton is going to back Trump over Australia.
Speaker 3: BC's dojie Dutton taking his cues, his instructions and his policies straight from the US in a way that will make Australians worse off.
Speaker 4: We don't have to adopt all of America's policies, yeap Well.
Speaker 2: The Australian's Foreign editor, Greg Sheridan rightly points out that no one seriously thinks Dutton is an Australian version of Trump. That prospect, he says, is absurd, But he notes that six weeks ago the Trump effect looked like a plus for Peter Dutton. Now it's a small minus and a corresponding plus for Albanesi. And Sheridan writes that Trump may become so unpopular in Australia that publicly opposing him becomes politically advantageous. He says that would be very dangerous for Australia. Yet it seems we're already in that place because Dutton had no option but to counter Albanesi's insinuation that he's Trump like the opposition leader came out strongly today saying he was prepared to take on the American president.
Speaker 5: Ultimately, what people want is a prime minister who can stand up for our country, and what they've seen in Anthony Albanezi is somebody who doesn't have the strength or the backbone or the will to stand up for our country's interests. He can't stand up to China at the moment with Donald Trump. If I needed to have a fight with Donald Trump or any other world leader to advance our nation's interests, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Speaker 2: And Dutton has also been asking voters to consider who is a stronger figure to protect Australia's interests abroad himself or Alburn Easy Now Former Prime Minister John Howard said this comparison between Dutton and Trump is nonsense.
Speaker 1: Here he was speaking earlier with Chris Kenny.
Speaker 6: Likewise, here, Donald Trump looms large over the election campaign, doesn't he. Labor is trying to smear Peter Dutton as some sort of Trumpian figure.
Speaker 1: Is that realistic? Is it?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 4: The Labor Party will try any dodge, but it's not realistic. Okay. Trump is sentered right, so to speak, Although in my view, he's not a real conservative. There are a lot of conservative values that I hold to that he apparently doesn't mean he attacks his own security services. I don't think that makes any sense. On the other hand, things he's said about gender identity and university and say, well, I agree with most sensible Australians too. But that's, as it were, the low hanging fruit. That's the easy part. Of the harder part is what you do to your allies, and to undermine Canada is just I find it inexplicable.
Speaker 1: Well, there's no escaping that.
Speaker 2: Aside from alban Easy and Dutton, Trump is the most dominant figure this election, and he's turned into a negative for dut Now I'm not saying I agree with this, but this is the sentiment that's showing up in focus group research. Initially, Trump's refusal to take Albanese's phone call was highly embarrassing for the Prime minister. But now Trump is seen by Australians as too volatile, too extreme, too chaotic, and too untrustworthy an ally. And this shifting sentiment from Australians was when Trump mistreated Ukrainian President Zelenski in the White House. That was the pivotal moment, and now with the Liberation Day tariff said to be imposed on Australia, this will continue the sentiment towards the president. Now, these attitudes were clear from the voters that Laura j spoke to in the crucial Central co seat of Robertson earlier today.
Speaker 8: Differently, like ALBONIZI there's no way I could go for Dutton. This is said Trump mean, I don't know nuclear, he wants to settle the public servants, and you know, there's a lot of things I don't like.
Speaker 7: I just don't like Donald Donald Trump. Peter Dutton, who's a very Donald Trump esque person. I don't want to cut public services and be very anti immigration.
Speaker 2: It's interesting because the Trump factor initially meant that left wing governments around the world were on notice. Trump's victory seemed to signal the end of woke ideology. But now the concern about his reliability and conduct have seen this flip, so that it's conservative politicians who are suffering from Trump damage. But the obsession with Trump is ultimately a distraction from the central issues in our country, cost of living, national security, and Albanese's own incompetence. Now Dutton has spoken often during this campaign and before about Howard's influence on him. Howard is the sort of leader that he aspires to be, and the former Prime Minister stresses Albanese's incompetence.
Speaker 4: The description I would make of the Prime Minister is that is out of his depth. Now as a Liberal leader, I disagreed with Labor leaders a lot.
Speaker 1: I disagreed with.
Speaker 4: Bob hawklor but I never thought Hawk was out of his depth. I just thought he was wrong. I disagreed even more with Paul Keating, who I thought was inferior to Hawk as a Prime minister, but you could never say he was out of each dip, whereas I don't think Anthony Albanese he quite knows what's happening around him.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a brutal assessment, but it's one that not even Albanese's own colleagues would argue with. Because he is a lightweight leader, his intellect and grasp of subject matter is skin deep. As John Howard says, despite the fact that Australians usually give first term governments another go, he believes Dutton has a chance at winning.
Speaker 4: His free is still against it. But we have got a prime minister who's clearly out of his steps. And we have a situation where in less than three years the economic situation has deteriorated.
Speaker 2: We've been speaking about Hamasa's brutal executions, cruel executions of the brave Palestinians who protested against the terror regime.
Speaker 1: Now this is a crackdown.
Speaker 2: The Greens leader Adam Bandt has somehow blamed on Israel.
Speaker 1: This is seriously whopped.
Speaker 2: But for the left, Israel, the Jewish homeland is the root of all evil. It's an irrational proposition that exposes their fraudulent position pretending to care for human rights.
Speaker 10: Well.
Speaker 1: Alex Ripchin said.
Speaker 2: The Greens had failed to express unqualified sympathy for these Palestinians. He said the Greens have exploited freedom of speech and protest in this country, supposedly in the service of a free Palestine. Yet they have no interest in actual Palestinians just butchered by Hamas for demanding that freedom. And Peter Darten today described the Greens as an offensive and anti Israel party.
Speaker 5: Maladim Bant represents the most radical party in the parliament, anti Semitic, racist party, and yet he'll be They're holding hands with the Prime Minister after the election in a coalition, which I think should shiver down the spine of every Western Australian and every Australian because it would be bad for the economy and it would be bad for Australia's international reputation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and an how wrong?
Speaker 2: This is quite simply a morally corrupt political party that has become so extreme that it can't seriously be a governing partner with Labor in the event of a hung parliament. In fact, Labour shouldn't even be doing preference deals with the Greens. Yet Albert Easy didn't want to answer questions about this today given the things that Adam Banters said about Israel, doesn't Labor have a moral obligation to preference the Greens lust there?
Speaker 1: And is this something that.
Speaker 2: You will use your authority and leadership as the Prime Minister and leader of the Labor Party.
Speaker 1: To make sure it happens? Is Jewish Labor members want.
Speaker 4: I don't engage in preference negotiations. What I do is do my job and Paul Erickson will do his job and the organizational team.
Speaker 2: Now good on Latika Burg from the Nightly for holding the Prime Minister to account. But what we just saw there was a serious lack of transparency and accountability. Yet again from alban Easy Now, the questions she was asking was about the Jewish Labor and p Josh Burns seat of Macnamara. But this question about whether Labour's going to preference the Greens doesn't just apply to that seat, but nationally the Prime Minister pretends preference deals have nothing to do with him.
Speaker 1: You just heard it there, It's up to his back room official, Paul Ericsson. What utter nonsense.
Speaker 2: Alban EASi is the ultimate political operative. He's highly factional, he's utterly ruthless. And here's also the Prime Minister. He is the person who makes the final decision on preference deals. He can't just pass the buck and avoid answering questions that are firmly in the public interest. And Australians absolutely need to know what deals.
Speaker 1: The Labor is doing with the.
Speaker 2: Greens an extremist and highly offensive ideological part with a warped sense of morality. Right James Patterson will be on in a moment on China's endorsement of the Prime minister. But now let's bring in former Victorian Liberal Party president Michael Kroeger and Labor former Labor legend, former Labor Senator, current Labor legend Graham Richardson.
Speaker 1: Welcome to you both.
Speaker 2: Michael, doesn't the Prime Minister need to say where he's doing preference deals with the Greens and if he would form a governing coalition with them in the case of a hung parliament.
Speaker 10: Well, he's answered the second question, which is that he won't. But you're one hundred percent right in relation to the first question, and he can get out of it today by not answering that question he was asked. But in the end, as everyone watching this program knows, it's his decision. He holds the swing vote on the National Executive of the Labor Party. It's ten to the right, tend to the left and him he holds a swing vote. It's not Paul Ericin's Eericston's decision. He's a bureaucrat, he's a party official. He doesn't make preference decisions. The National Executive the Labor Party does. This is Albanese's decision. And I'll tell you why this is incredibly important now because I think Josh Burns in the seat of Macnamara in Melbourne will now come third. He got thirty one point seven percent in twenty two. The Liberals and the Greens both got twenty nine. Labour's voters collapsed in Victoria for all the reasons we've known, Burns will probably come third. Now is Albanizi going to ask those Labor voters to preference the Greens second or the Liberals second, or is he going to insult the whole Jewish community by giving a split ticket which is which would just be disgraceful, equating the Greens views in the Middle East with the Liberals. So this is the big question which still confronts Alberesi between now and election day, and you can see he is very uncomfortable getting that question.
Speaker 2: Shari, I get the focus on Macnamara. I completely understand. But to me, Richo, this is an issue right around the country. This is an offensive party. Peter Dutton says it's an anti Semitic party. We just heard that comment from him. So why isn't this an issue? Why should Labor be doing deals with the Greens all around Australia, Richo.
Speaker 6: Well, Labor does deals with the Greens so it can win seats. It's pretty obvious the Greens voters will always, i think, tend to preference Labor irrespective of where the Greens might put their out of vote, because if you're voting Green, ten percent of Australians as a round figure vote Green, the number doesn't change much election to election. And that's the left of our political spectrum.
Speaker 2: But Michael, in the past we've seen Labor demanding that the coalition put one nation's last, one nation last.
Speaker 1: Right on preferences. So why is this any different?
Speaker 10: Well, it's different because no matter how off the edge One Nation were many years ago, the Greens are far worse. This is the most extreme major party we've seen in Australian history.
Speaker 1: This is my point.
Speaker 10: Yes, yeah, these people are very different. This is not a Green paper, this is a revolutionary party. And as you say, where are the demonstrations against Tamas supporting Palestinians, innocent Palestinians against Tummas. Right, we know what this guy bans on about. We know what the Greens on are about. Right, let's not beat around the bush here. We know exactly what these people think about the Jewish community in Israel. Right, we know exactly this Alban Easy, Right, Alban Easy is going to be forced. He's going to be forced between now and May three to say whether he thinks Labor voters should give a second preference to this mob, the Greens, this disgraceful organization, or the Liberal Party. And if he insults Jewish voters by saying you've got to put the Green second, or it's a split ticket, it's your decision, you know, Liberal Green, it's just the same. And I'll tell you why this metter so much. I'll take issue with Graham. There was a bi election here in the seat of Paran, which is very close to McNamara, just a few weeks ago and the independent Labour Canate directed preferences to the Liberal Party. A guy called Tony Luttin, distinguished former Labor member. He gave preferences to the Liberal Party because he said real labor hawk Labor Steve Brax Labor wouldn't preference the Greens, and sixty eight percent of Labor voters followed his ticket. So it is very critical in McNamara at least as to where Labor give their preferences. And this is a massive issue for albanize In. As you say, this will reverberate in teal seats and labor seats all around the country.
Speaker 1: Yeah, indeed it will.
Speaker 2: Now, Rich, I want to ask you about this comparison that the Albanezi ministers are pushing, comparing Trump to Darton.
Speaker 1: This is damaging for the opposition leader, isn't it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I guess it is. A lot of Australians are not really an am with Trump and so you make it comparison. It's not going to help. But I doubt very much that it's a big issue, and I think Dutton is going well. I think Dutton's improved. I think Dutton works hard and I think he having an impact. So the best thing people can do is just leave him alone. Let him get on with a job he's doing. Okay.
Speaker 2: I think the sign, Michael that it was having a negative impact is the fact that Duddin came out so strongly today in that interview with clonel and said he is prepared to fight with Donald Trump. So he felt that he needed to clear this narrative up. What do you think What else does he need to do here to counter Labour's perception that he's Australia's version of Trump.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I don't think people believe that. I agree with Graham it's a minor irritant. But in due course there's a long word to go into a now in the election, in due course people are going to say are going to work out? Well, it's not so much whether we like Trump or not Trump or not. The questions what are we going to do about him? What are we going to do about him? And what are we to do about these tariffs that are coming tomorrow? And the answer won't be, you know, just saying how we don't like Donald Trump. The answer will be who can deal with this blake? Who's going to deal with him? And the polls show very clearly that people think Peter Dutton's the right person to deal with him. As we know, I mean, I was reminded by the way the other day George Bush put tariffs on Australian steel in two thousand and two. Right, George Bush his administration put tariffs on Australian steel in two thousand and two. They were taken off within a week. You know how you know why? John Howard called in the ambassador, the American ambassador, and John Howard rang George Bush, with whom he had a personal relationship. He knew his father.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 10: Howard used his personal relationship with the ambassador and with President Bush to get the tariffs taken off. That's why in the end people are going to realize, well, Alberzi he's got no influence and rud have got no influence. In the end, Dutton's going to have some influence. Dutton's got some credibility. He's going to have an influence with Trump. So whilst the minute it might look like it does help Dutton, in a few weeks time people are going to stop complaining and start thinking what are we going to do about it? Nance will be Peter Dutton.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, the Prime Minister was in Victoria this morning, but unlike in other states, the Premiere was nowhere to be seen. Now Albo denied he was distancing himself from just into Allen, who's clearly unpopular, and she also tried to say that there was no snub.
Speaker 9: Have a look out the Premier Victoria, by a side, might see her later today.
Speaker 11: That you've had two premiers in the last couple of days, by a side, earlier in the day.
Speaker 4: Parliament sitting.
Speaker 8: It's this little thing called parliament.
Speaker 6: Paul.
Speaker 9: I've been speaking to the Prime Minister regularly as recently as this week.
Speaker 2: Oh, come on, rich O, he doesn't want to be seen anywhere near just into Alan does He doesn't.
Speaker 7: Look like it, does it?
Speaker 6: And you see there Allen is a bit on the nose, So I can blame him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to say the least, Michael.
Speaker 2: This as we've been discussing, this has obviously been working in the coalition's fate for the fact that Victorians are so unhappy with the state government. But I want to ask you what you're hearing about. How many seats the coalition could pick up in Victoria.
Speaker 10: So I think the Coalition are going to win four. They're going to win McEwan, chisholm Aston and I think now they're going to win Kuyong for all the reasons we've seen on Sky tonight. I mean, you can't preach in Tegntary and run a dirty, dirty campaign against Amitia Hamer. People are disgusted by what Manique Ryan's done. Labor are in trouble in another eight seats in Victoria, They're in trouble in a whole heap of seats. Their voters their primary votes collapsed in Victoria. So Tim Wilson has got a huge chance of beating the teal in his seat, and then you go to Bruce Holt, hawk Kerrangamite McNamara, Dunkley. I mean there's eight there's eight more where Isaac's where labor in trouble in the five nine percent field. And look, today was a very big mistake by Elbow. He needed to meet you, Cindre Allen and get it out of the way. All the press in Victoria today was how he snubbed just Cinder Allen. No either going to parliament. Nonsense, everyone knows right Channel nine, Channel every media in Victoria today was about the snub. He's got to meet you, Cinder Allen and get photographed with it, which will be pr disaster for him, but he's got to do it otherwise this this is going to be a lot worse than he's going to get snowball every day. Yeah, it's going to be the story every day, you know, indeed?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 2: Look we're out of time very quickly. If you had to predict right now, Richo Michael, who would you say wins this election? I'm going to ask you every week. O.
Speaker 10: Well, I think Peter Dutt wins. I think he wins seventy two seats and he gets four independence and he gets here with seventy six, he could win his own right still, but I think a minority liberal government's the most likely result, Richo.
Speaker 6: I think I hung parliament's the most likely result. And I'm not sure once you get a hung parliament which side is going to be able to wing all the deal and you become the government. So I'm not going to predicted.
Speaker 2: No one knows more about politics than you two. Thank you both so much for your time. All right, let's turn to the news now that a freed immigration detainee who was this weekend shot by police in an incident in Melbourne Southeast had allegedly breached his visa conditions and court orders twenty six times. The Herald reports at the thirty three year old is one of more than two hundred former detainees released following the High Court ruling in November twenty twenty three. To discuss this and more, let's bring in Shadow Home Affairs Minister and Coalition campaign spokesman James Patterson.
Speaker 1: James, great to see you again.
Speaker 2: Look, this detainee is alleged to have chased police with a metal poll He was eventually shot. What should happen to the two hundred or so released detainees.
Speaker 11: Well, in breaking new show, we're up to three hundred released detainees who the Labor Party led out of detention following the High Court's decision. Of those three hundred, more than one hundred of them have committed new offenses in the community since they were released, including allegedly this person that.
Speaker 8: You talked about.
Speaker 11: What's most shocking about the fact that he's accused of twenty six visa breaches and other court order breaches is that the Parliament was supposed to have legislated mandatory minimum sentences of one year for a single visa breach, and yet that mandatory minimum sentence has not applied even on one occasion to this person. And why not, Well, the Department of Home Affairs admitted to me in Senate estimates last week that the Albanesi government stuffed up the drafting and left the discretion of these so called mandatory minimum sentences with judges who are not applying them. And so the whole reason this person was even free in the community comes down to another stuff up on community safety by the Anthony Aberesi Labor government.
Speaker 2: It's been a debaker right from the very start and has on several occasions now seriously jeopardized the community. James I spoke earlier in the show about the news that Beijing is endorsing alban Easy.
Speaker 1: What does this say to you.
Speaker 2: That a dictatorship is backing the current prime minister.
Speaker 11: Well, speaking only for myself, Shari, I would be uncomfortable if my views or my political position was endorsed by the propaganda arm of a foreign authoritarian government, and I would want to rapidly distance myself from that. And I'd be questioning what is it I had done and what is it I had said that had led to me being praised in a platform like that or a newspaper like that. It's really questioned for Anthony Albanezi to answer tomorrow. Is he comfortable with this endorsement? Has he reflected on the things that he has said and why it would have led to this endorsement. The particular thing that was prominently endorsed in the Global Times was his observation that the Chinese scientific research vessel in our territorial waters was only doing to us what we did to China. But of course that's not true. We don't do that we don't need as territorial waters. We don't have research vessels like these. We are not mapping the seabed off the coast of Hainan Island or any other part of China. And so it was a baseless comparison endorsed by a foreign government propaganda.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that was so concerning as well.
Speaker 2: And as you say, there's a big difference between freedom of navigation exercises in international waters that are crucial for global trade and what's clearly Australian territorial waters. But you know, are you concerned or how concerned are you about what information this Chinese vessel and others like it might be collecting relating to our cables and other information they might have picked up.
Speaker 11: I'm concerned because we don't know. We don't know why this research vessel has taken the particular route that it has chosen. But it is not the most direct route for it to return to its home port from where it was off the coast of New Zealand. It's an unusual route. It does coincide with one of our significant internet cables, and it is puzzling why would choose to go this way. I'm also because the Prime Minister is not across the details. He said that the boat was being monitored by the Australian Defense Force when it turned out it was in fact being monitored by Border Force. That's a pretty big stuff up on national security from the Prime Minister and it's not his first one when it comes to things like this. So really he should be asking for an explanation from our counterparts in China, who he boasts of having a close relationship to. Has he picked up the phone, has he raised concern have we called the ambassador in None of these has been disclosed.
Speaker 1: By the government, and of course it hasn't happened. You'd have to assume.
Speaker 2: We've been speaking on the show tonight about how Albanese and his ministers have been comparing Duttan, attacking him for being Trump light. How do you handle these sort of accusations.
Speaker 11: It's just a cheap political stunt by the Prime Minister because he has nothing positive to offer about his record over the last three years, where Australian's living standards have been smashed worse than any other country in the developed world, worst in our history, down eight percent, and because he's got nothing positive to say about the future. So all he had his attacks on Peter Dutton, but the truth is that Peter Dutton would be far better place to deal with the Trump administration than the Alberanese government because Peter Dutton is a strong leader who would stand up for Australia to anyone, including the Trump administration if it threatens our national interest. And the Prime Minister is weak and world leaders know that, and that's why they walk all over him.
Speaker 2: The Prime Minister refused to answer questions today by The Nightly about preference deals with the Greens. I mean, he was asked about one seat of McNamara, but as I just said before, I think this applies to every seat where Labour's running. Do you think the Prime Minister does need to be more transparent with whether he'll preference the Greens and why is he preferencing such an offensive political party if that's what he plans to do.
Speaker 11: The Prime Minister's answer at his press conference today was absolutely contemptuous and the press gallery should not let him get away with it. He pretended he's got no interest in preferences at all. Anthony Albanezi is one of the most intensely political Prime Minister as we've ever had. He will be up to his elbows in preference, dealing and willing.
Speaker 5: And there is no way the.
Speaker 11: National Secretary of the Labor Party, Paul Erickson, would be making any deal without the Prime Minster's explicit endorsement and protection. And so I think there is a real test for the Prime Minister. But up front tomorrow, if you're asked again and say are you going to preference the extreme anti Semitic Greens Party, particularly in seats like McNamara, I make a bold prediction, though, Shari, he will preference the Greens in every seat in the country except McNamara, where he might do an open ticket, which is james possible option from a weak prime minister.
Speaker 1: Is that good enough? Do you think he shouldn't?
Speaker 2: Do you think they're now such an extremist party that he shouldn't be preferencing them.
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 11: As the Prime Minister said today, the Member for Newtown, Jenny Lyong made one of the most explicitly racist comments that any Member of Parliament has ever made. She said that the Jewish community had tentacles and that they involved themselves in community causes like anti racism causes, tactical reasons to manipulate those groups to increase support for Israel. Now, if any member of any major party had said that, there'd be serious consequences. But in the Greens there are no consequences.
Speaker 2: So do you think the Prime Minister should cites that example, But do you think he shouldn't prefer it?
Speaker 11: Well, exactly, chari and of course not. Of course the Greens don't deserve our preferences anywhere in any seat. Any self respecting major party shouldn't be preferencing the Greens. But the Prime Minister will do that because he cares more about his own political survival than he does about the health of our democracy in our country.
Speaker 2: Yeah, indeed, all right, Shadow Home Affairs Minister James Patterson, good to see you.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Still to come backlash over Albanezi paying for travel for gen Z influences in an attempt to buy the young vote, and the Sydney School backflips on an outrageous decision to allow kids to opt out of an Anzac Day ceremony. Plus Sharon Haskell, the Israeli Deputy Foreign Minister, will join me live next Welcome back, Well, coming up the Sydney principle now reversing the call to allow students to opt out of ANZAC day services just outrageous. But first, let's return to Harmasa's cruel execution of Palestinians who dared to protest for the return of hostages and an end to the terror regime to discuss that's bringing now Israeli Deputy Foreign Minister Sharen Haskell. Sharen, thank you for your time. Look, we've heard and seen these reprehensible reports, including an execution of a twenty two year old Palestinian who was one of the organizers of the protests. What can you tell us about how Harmas is trying to hunt down these protesters and their families.
Speaker 9: Well, first of all, it just shows how Hamas created a complete health of Palestinians in Gaza to the point that they're willing to risk their life again and this death cult to try and oppose it and to push it out of Gaza. Hamas is a terrorist organization and it doesn't care, and it abuses the life of Israelis but also the lives of Palestinians. The fact is that Tramasa is holding two million hostages in Gaza. Those two million people are Palestinians and it made their life a living hell. The responsibility is on them, and so the fact that we actually see Gazan citizens who go out to protests against Tramas show the severity of where Hamas is at at this point. You know, it's very dissing that many of the mainstream media are actually not covering that. But I think that the international community and the mainstream media needs to back those Ghazan citizens in order to release them and liberate them from.
Speaker 1: Tramas, not just the Meydia that's not covering it.
Speaker 2: But we're not seeing any protests from the left, from the supposed pro Palestinian protesters, none of them are protesting her Mass over this and Charan As we've been saying the whole time, Yes, free Palestine, Free Palestine from her Mass. This is the terror group that is responsible for every single loss of life since October seven. And before Charan, we've just heard the news that the Pentagon has announced the deployment of a second US aircraft. This is Israel expands its Grounder offensive in Gaza overnight.
Speaker 1: What's the strategy here? Is the aim of this.
Speaker 2: Ground offensive to target her Mass or is it to bring back the remaining hostages?
Speaker 1: Both.
Speaker 9: The fact is that the only pressure that released and brought the hostages deal, both of them in the beginning of the war and just a couple of months ago, are military pressure and the Trump's administrations pressure, the international pressure both when that was applied towards Tramas, that's when they actually agreed to come and negotiate and you actually agree to cease file deal. And so our goal is to bring back our family members as quickly and as safely as possible. We have grave concerns for them. Those people are family members, those husbands and brothers and cousins and grandparents. Those are in the hands of psycho paths from a death cult who's committed to the destruction not just of Israelis but also with Palestinians. This is a religious war at Jiha that there's actually they're actually waging. And so in order to bring them back, we have to put military pressure and there has to be also international pressure on Ramas, and I have to say, there'll be enough pressure for Ramas to actually disarm them, then Gaza will be liberated from this murderous terrorist organization who's a complete death part.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Look, Palestinians are standing up now Israel has been doing it, but we need to see more from the Arab nations in the international community to put an end to the Hamas regime as well scharan As.
Speaker 1: You would no doubt be aware.
Speaker 2: We are in Australia in the middle of the election campaign at the moment. The elections on the third of May, the Albanese government broke with long standing Australian bipartisan policy which has been to support Israel. Instead, they've been incredibly hostile, particularly at forums like the United Nations. Are you worried that the Albanese government would be re elected?
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 9: We don't interfere in internal issues of the countries and definitely not in elections. For me personally, as someone who was an Australian citizen who made his life in Australia, that Australia is very dear to me, and that many of my friends and family lives in those Jewish communities who are terrified of what is happening there. I'm concerned, and you know, I think that the government has to have a very strong, direct and redline in anything to do about anti Semitism. I was very vocal and verbal about it before. It's on a personal level for me to make sure that the Jewish communities feel safe again becomes again, you know, that Australia becomes again a safe haven for all community, it doesn't matter, including the Jewish community. I would never personally imagine Australia to reach to that point, and so for me, I was very outspoken about it in the past as well, and it's a personal matter for me to make sure Jewish community in Australia is safe. Is unbearable of what they're going through now. So I'm putting this aside and everything is to do with the elections or internal issues. You know, this is something that we do not interfere in data.
Speaker 2: And you know what if alban Asi and Pettywong do get back in. I tell you a lot of Jewish Australians have told me that they would be looking to move to Israel. So you have an influx of Jewish Australians right. Appreciate your time, Sharry.
Speaker 9: I think that all around the world, you know, because of that rise of antisemitism, sometimes with the lack dealing with antisemitism, we have seen a massive rise from many countries of people who are coming into Israel Jewish communities who decided to leave home and actually come here to Israel to make sure that they're safe and they can be who they are safely and freely without any kind of fear to violence or to specific targeting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's incredible that the population in Israel has actually increased year on year since October seven, during a time of war. Amazing. All right, Scharanna, appreciate your time. Thank you still to come. Why is the Prime Minister wasting taxpayer dollars funding gen Z influencers travel to Canberra? Jenna Clark will be here to discuss. Plus schools go woke, One school accused of canceling Easter, another slammed for an.
Speaker 1: Opt out of ANZAC day call that's coming up next, welcome back.
Speaker 2: Well, they've been countless cringe inducing moments from alban Easy that can only be characterized as pathetic attempts to try and be cool and win the youth vote, like this one.
Speaker 4: I Ah Delulu with nice Salulu, mister Smaker.
Speaker 2: It turns out two podcast hosts challenged the Prime Minister to incorporate that apparently gen Z phrase into the speech.
Speaker 7: I dated you, I could be.
Speaker 1: Budget late next week.
Speaker 2: ALBINIZI is clearly trying to get down with the kids and win their vote. I mean, who could forget dj Albow Maybe is trying to reclaim his own long lost youth. Well, let's bring it now. Jenna Clark, Associate editor of The Australian. Jenna, good to see you again. You've written about this trend of how the Prime Minister's trying to capture the young vote by being highly embarrassing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he has been.
Speaker 12: Pretty cringed, especially to those that are losing a collagen at a rate of knots, because these young twenty somethings have severely, severely way more cooler than I am.
Speaker 1: But I do love the fact that in that.
Speaker 12: Clip when he was talking to those influences he's he basically tried to reframe the.
Speaker 1: Sululu with no Delulu with no Sululu.
Speaker 12: But in the context of Peter Dutton and the nuclear policy and the look on the girl's faces, they had absolutely no idea what.
Speaker 1: He was talking about.
Speaker 12: So the disconnect between the political class and the influencer class is very, very vast.
Speaker 1: But this is really interesting because sorry, no go for a janet.
Speaker 12: It is really interesting because he's been on this social media shadow play for a good part of about a year now, because he did appear on Abby Chatfield's podcast called It's a Lot, and he spoke for about an hour and a half about everything from Medicare, medi Scare, everything against the Coalition, pumping up what he seems to have achieved in office without really being challenged on anything. And interestingly, Peter dunn't declined to appear on that podcast, which a lot of people are saying it was because you know, Abbey is a progressive woman, which is actually incorrect, because sources told me that it's because she has a very strong anti Zionism streak is why he declined.
Speaker 2: And I was personally so angry that alban Easy went on that podcast because you know, you remember she said she wasn't going to have any Zionists on her podcast, as just being Jews and other people who support Israel.
Speaker 1: But let's not get into that path.
Speaker 2: I mean the Prime Minister, though, I think there's a lot of anger over the fact that he actually paid for these influences and there were quite a few of them to travel to Canberra to cover the budget, and a lot of ministers gave quite significant amounts of their one on one time to these influencers.
Speaker 1: You know, why should tax payers be paying for this? Yeah?
Speaker 12: No, they weren't paid for content, but they were paid for their travel and accommodation, which is basically.
Speaker 1: The same as paying them.
Speaker 12: But it is interesting that those key ministers, being Jim Chalmers, Katie Gallaher and even Tanya plibask gave an exorbitant amount of time to these online thought givers and opinion opinion makers. And interestingly, as we saw in Newspoll which was published on Monday in The Australian, I think it's worked because you look at the breakdown in those tables where the question was asked about the budget doctor Chalmers's budget saying do you think that you will be better off within the next twelve months, The eighteen to twenty four year old cohort overwhelmingly said yes they would be, and only ten percent of older Australians said that they would be worse off. So the proof will be in the putting on May three. But if the polls at the polls taking place at this point in time, or any indicator, it looks like it might have paid off all the Australian taxpayers have paid off for the Labor Party.
Speaker 2: Well, to me, I don't know if Delulu stands for delusional, but it should and they're all delulu.
Speaker 1: But general, I want to talk about these.
Speaker 2: Schools that have gone delulu as well. They've gone well and truly won't An email went out to parents today at Sherwood Ridge Primary School where the principal said that now the school expects that all students will attend the ans Ac Day service.
Speaker 1: This is a big backflip.
Speaker 2: Initially they said there was an opt out of the service, and then on t Gibi this morning, Ben Foden revealed that another school is not having a Kindie to Year two to Hat parade. Instead they're calling it the Annual Hat Parade. The word Easter gone. I mean, Jenney, this is so it's beyond the pale to not celebrate Easter and to not recognize an Zac Day. They've now backflipped on it, but this was their instincts and who knows what other schools are doing.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's absolutely disgusting And what really gets me is that I hope that every single journo that fronts up to the government's election spokesperson being Jason Clair tomorrow and for the next couple of days.
Speaker 1: He's always banging on.
Speaker 12: About how we have to have a revolution in our schools and it doesn't matter about what your postcode or what you grow up with, what you need to get a great education. Talk about the fundamental failings in our education system. Our kids cannot even read, write or count, and then this type of crap is being forced down their throats. It is look, I don't mean to sound like some sort of anchie, but it is completely UnAustralian. It makes my blood boil. Ann's a Day is one of the most sacred days on our calendar as a country. And the fact that kids were potentially being given the option to opt out, I would love to know what some of the excuses would be, because I would be I would be the first with an Australian flag to say, kid, you are celebrating and marking you don't celebrate as a day.
Speaker 1: Obviously you might commemorate Zact Day.
Speaker 12: Yes, because yes, you mark An's ac Day because it is sacred, sacred day in our country.
Speaker 2: Indeed, well said Jenna Clarke, thank you for your time coming up after the break the Democrat who spoke against Trump for twenty five hours. How's that for Trump arrangement syndrome? Plus, why is Kamala Harris heading to Australia And what can we expect from the Liberation Day tariffs tomorrow?
Speaker 1: That's with Koshergada after this quick break, welcome back.
Speaker 2: Let's bring in our Sky News contributor Koshagada. Kosher, great to see you again. Look, Trump is set to announce the Liberation Day tariffs. What are there any chances? What is the chances that he gives Australia an exemption?
Speaker 1: Feels pretty slim to none.
Speaker 13: I would say, Shari, anything is always possible with Trump, but he is really steadfast in the principle and the policy that he is going after. Though controversial, it may be, tariffs at the scale have not been tried in really to this measure in the last century. It certainly people are divided about it on both sides of the political aisle, but he very strongly believes it, and I think in the scheme of that big picture carveouts are not necessarily likely, though maybe given that Australia does run a trade sory plus, there might be something in there.
Speaker 1: But I wouldn't hold our breath, Kosha.
Speaker 2: I think it's so interesting that we're seeing all these polls saying that Australians are against trumpets entered the election campaign, and yet in the US even CNN polls say that the president's popularity has never been higher.
Speaker 13: He indeed is very, very popular. And you know, we've been talking about this comeback story in general. I think that's what undergirds his entire political career, with where he came from after twenty twenty to now. We obviously know how he did in the election, winning the popular vote first time in forty years. That's happened all seven swing states and all the rest of it, and he's just so much more organized at affecting his agenda. There have been some snaffoos with the signal thing and other things, but for the most part, it's been a pretty flawless sixty eight days I think by now, and that is showing through in the polls. It will not last forever. He's certainly sort of in that honeymoon period for now, but it does show that he just is really the man of the moment right now in the US, and by and large people do agree with his policy agenda.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's fascinating, just that disconnecting how he's perceived. Look, this Democrat, Cory Booka, set an insane record speaking an anti Trump tirade for twenty five hours.
Speaker 1: He was on his fate.
Speaker 2: He said he'd remained there for as long as he was physically able to. Let's have a quick look.
Speaker 8: When is it going to be enough?
Speaker 5: My voice is inadequate today, are inadequate to stop.
Speaker 8: What they're trying to do.
Speaker 7: But we the people are powerful, We are strong.
Speaker 1: I just want to tell you a question.
Speaker 6: Do you know you have just broken the record? Do you know how proud this caucus is of you?
Speaker 4: Do you know how proud America.
Speaker 8: Is of you? My friend, Madam President I yield the floor.
Speaker 2: I mean, he thinks he should get some award for bagging the president for a record breaking time.
Speaker 1: It's seriously deranged.
Speaker 13: Yes, So you know he was invoking this mechanism in the US Senate, the filibuster. It wasn't technically a filibuster, but basically that the principle behind it is it allows minority representation, people that are not in the majority right now, like the Democrats, to air their grievances and dissenting opinions on an issue. However, it has morphed into I think, much more of a personal political platform for a lot of people. He broke the record. The previous record was held by a senator in nineteen fifty seven, twenty four hours and five minutes. He broke that, and maybe that's what he's after, where he will now forever go down into history books as the person who did that and sort of got his moment and fame. We're all talking about it, and probably that was behind it, I think, more so than expressing a dissenting opinion to some policy agenda.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, we're here, Kamala Harris is coming to Australia.
Speaker 1: Kasha. What's she doing here?
Speaker 13: So interesting because she has really been laying low after her defeat in the election, but there's been some rumblings where she signed with CAIA, the pre eminent talent agency in the world, and that usually signals that she's gearing up to go on the speaking tour. And often these people who are former presidents or a vice presidents, even if they lost, even if they weren't that successful politically, can command big fees. So it looks like one of her coming out things.
Speaker 1: Is going to be this real estate.
Speaker 13: Conference and the Gold Coast, and it's been known to bring in big names, international names in the past, so they're probably paying a pretty penny for her, and she's going to come here and talk real estate, which will be interesting.
Speaker 1: I mean pretty penny.
Speaker 2: She'd probably be charging you think, somewhere between half a million and a million. I mean, they can earn a lot of money on these speaking circuits. But kosher who wants to go see her?
Speaker 13: That's the thing. I think there's gonna be lots of means of her, you know, talking the way she does about issues rather simplistically or reductively.
Speaker 1: And I think you're right.
Speaker 13: Her fee is going to be anywhere from three to four hundred thousand US dollars, So it's maybe a draw card the novelty factor, if nothing else. And I think it's going to make a lot of international news for better or for worse.
Speaker 2: No indeed, All right, Kosha Dada, thank you so much for joining us, and of course we'll bring you the news tomorrow night. What we know about the Liberation Day tariffs. Well, that's all we've got time for today. Thank you so much for your company, I'll see you tomorrow at eight, and right now the king of television for Mara