Speaker 1: Welcome to How Do They Afford That? The podcast that peaks into the financial lives of everyday Australians. I'm Uncle Thompson. I'm an author and the co host of the business news podcast Fear and Greed and as always um with Canna Campbell, financial planner and founder of sugar Mumer TV, the financial literacy platform covering YouTube, podcast books, Instagram, threads, TikTok and a renowned paper rustler. Hello, Canna Boston. Sorry, indeed, indeed, look today's episodes about a I would like to say, it's a fairly simple idea. What happens if you change your finances by just one hundred dollars a week? And that might be saving, it might be investing, it might be cutting, it might be redirecting it. And it's based on this idea of that doesn't sound like a huge amount, but does it add up quickly and does it have a greater impact in certain areas than others? One hundred dollars a week? Is that realistic? I know it's a cost of living crisis. There is a lot of pressure, but we're not saying find a thousand dollars a week. It's one hundred.
Speaker 2: Look it's very subjective, and I think most people are already you know, would say that is very hard right now. But the truth is, it's actually not about one hundred dollars. It's about the consistency. It's about the intention, like having a go and trying to find you one hundred dollars whatever you can do, and getting started and building that momentum. So I don't think it really matters right now the amount, whether it's ten dollars a week, fifty dollars a week, or one hundred dolls a week, is about like having stepping up and having a crack at trying to find some extra money that you can then use intentionally and redirect to improve your financial wellbeing.
Speaker 1: Okay, if we were just in theory to use the one hundred dollars as our fine, as a just an experiment, Okay, for this episode cutting one hundred dollars, we're going to go through the options we're kind of mentioned, saving, investing, cutting, redirecting, earning and extra hundred dollars a week, all those things. Cutting one hundred dollars, how would you do it?
Speaker 2: Well, Like so many things in life, it starts with awareness, you know, going through your budget, but also going through your transactions, you know, making sure your budget actually matches how you really are spending, because the budget is an intention, the transactions is the truth and reality of where your money actually goes.
Speaker 1: Oh, that would be great on a T shirt. Don't need to be a very large trademark that a very large T shirt to fit all of that in because it's probably a bit longer.
Speaker 2: And look, when you look at the transactions, and you can sort of be a lot more accountable and honest. And you know, well, look, I say I only spend two hundred dollars on my paper budget over here, but look I'm actually spending three hundred dollars you know on grossriies. That's what you need to catch and that's where you need to get back in control and identify the wastage and the leakage. So and you've got a look at everything. You can't sort of pick and choose as to what expenses you know, the convenient to your brain to look at. You can look at the food, do a look at the subscriptions, and keeping in mind that you know subscriptions where they're coming out of may not necessarily be a different account or for a credit card or you know, you've gould to be keep an eye as to where all these things are being paid and checking all those things, looking at you know, your groceries, but you're also maybe eating out a lot. See might I think, oh, it's Fine'm actually sticking to my gross's budget, But really you're just spending less on the groceries because you're eating out more or getting say, you know, the home delivery or takeaway, and the impulse spending and of course all those utilities that we all have to pay for a part of adult life. And it's not about, you know, necessarily one big cut to find, for example, the one hundred dollars. Do understand that it might actually be a combination of different areas. It might even be ten different areas that each save you ten dollars a month. They help find you that one hundred dollars. You know, it's this is what we need to do if we really want to try and make a shift and improvement in our financial will being to find that extra extra money that we can actually do something with.
Speaker 1: Okay, instead of cutting, what about earning one hundred dollars a week? This is you either side hustle clean, right.
Speaker 2: Oh, we have so many episodes on this, but there are you know, and I really am big on trying to earn lots of money. Obviously keeping in mind, you know, you might have young children, you may have responsibilities. You may be also working really long hours and you're you know, completely brained at the end of the day. There are people in certain situations that can't actually do that. But yes, when you find ways to earn extra money, it's unlimited. You know, the sky's the limit. And you know we've spoken about, you know, doing market research, doing surveys online, you know, decluttering your home, getting rid of you know, unused, unwanted clothes, sporting equipment, furniture, you know, to help come up with some extra money, you know, becoming a delivery partner, an uber driver where you can clock on and clock off, you decide the hours that you want to work, you know, looking at your skills that you already have and how can you monetize them. For example, you might be fantastic with a camera, and perhaps you can start photographing events on the weekends, like, you know, looking at all the different things that you can do and obviously the resources and the time and the energy and obviously making it actually worthwhile. Your time is really important. But you know, income has no ceiling here, so that quite possibly, you know, this idea of one hundred dollars per week may not necessarily be about cutting the fat, because the fat may have already been cut most likely, but in fact, you know, earning some extra money instead, and earning even more than one hundred dollars per week.
Speaker 1: I like that. I like the idea that that once you have started, there is no limit on what you can do. Right. That's it's like.
Speaker 2: A very abundant statement from you.
Speaker 1: You really have had an effect on some time. The idea of redirecting one hundred dollars a week, and this probably goes slightly hand in hand with the cutting of one hundred dollars, but I suppose it's more about taking money that you're already spending and deciding whether or not it could be better spent elsewhere.
Speaker 2: It's about reassigning that money or redirecting it to a better purpose that's going to improve your well being and your well being today, but also more so very much into the long run, where you look back and go, gosh, I'm glad I did that for myself. Back then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, and we actually we need to talk now about what to do with the money because this is then when we get into the investing one hundred dollars a week. So the big question here is where is one hundred dollars a week going to have the most impact?
Speaker 2: Well, that's answer to that question really lies in your financial situation. You know, if you're someone who's got credit card debt or buy now, pay later debt chasing them, you know that extra hundred dollars per week or per month can go or should go under the premise obviously of general guidance is directly to that debt, and that is going to You're going to clear the decks and then allow yourself to then move on to the next financial responsibilities and alreadies that aren't going to improve a French wellbeing even further, I've.
Speaker 1: Done it again, haven't I. I've just I have assumed that we were going to take this hundred dollars a week and just put it towards investing. But if I'm going to.
Speaker 2: I'm going to be kind to you. I just think I can see the motivation of watching that one hundred dollars grow. But you know, we need to say the obvious. You shouldn't be investing yet if you're still carrying toxic debt, because that toxic debt is a lot more expensive than the money you're going to earn from investing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, what we're going to do now is we're going to take a very quick break and then we are going to talk investing, because apparently I went off way early just then and forgot to talk about kind of paying off debt and getting yourself out of trouble. We've established that that is a very important priority. Quick break, and we'll come back with investing your one hundred dollars a week. Cano this is our one hundred dollars a week. Barent we've talked about cutting one hundred dollars, earning one hundred dollars, redirecting one hundred dollars a week that you're already spending on something else, and putting it into something that's going to have a bigger impact for the future. We of course were united in talking about the importance of putting it towards debt first. That was not a suggestion just by one of us that the other had forgotten about. Let's now get to investing right, and I'm not just talking about kind of putting it into shares or anything, but maybe even superannuation.
Speaker 2: Superannuation is definitely for a lot of Australian's going to be a really viable strategy. You know, obviously it's concessionally taxed, which is huge because it obviously then helps remove the eroding effects of tax. And obviously you've got to think about how you're going to do that. Is it one hundred dollars per week going to go through salary sacrificing because sometimes that actually can be a really easy way of doing it because it takes away that self control or discipline because it's done obviously by HR your payroll team, and you're obviously letting more money go into superannuation that's already got you know, some money I would hope in super. So it's obviously going to have a bigger impact on the long term compounding effect. So yes, super is important. It's I don't imagine too much regret would come with it as long as you're taken into consideration the accessibility issue. You know, if you were twenty and you said I'm going to put one hundred dollars per week, I'd say we'll hang on. Just think that through and as to whether that's right for you, and for some people that is the perfect strategy, and it's about understanding your values and your goals of course here, but you know, you do need to keep that in mind. And sometimes if we're talking about one hundred dollars here, perhaps there's a balance. You know, it's one hundred dollars investing one hundred dollars.
Speaker 1: Into super okay in terms then of investing other forms of investing. Is that enough to get you started building a portfolio? Oh my god, you just the the energy just radiating off you. Just then it's as though you grew to twice your size in a heartbeat.
Speaker 2: Yes, to answer your question. So all right, this is where microinvesting does come because it's a great place to get started because you can start investing with small amounts of money like ten dollars. However, as I like to say, with micro investing, it's a great starting point, but it's not the finish line I would prefer for someone. And I'm going to get a little bit. I don't mean to be arrogant, but I'm coming from a place of love and care for someone to actually stretch themselves in a healthy, joyful way where they actually see a meaningful improvement and uplift in their financial wellbeing, but ideally investing in parcels of shares rather than going through micro investing, and you know, investing for example, in passes of say five hundred dollars or one thousand dollars. And I will admit, yes, of course there is I'm slowing people's momentum down because they're not investing one hundred dollars per week. They've got to wait until five weeks have passed and they've got their full five hundred dollars or ten weeks of pass and I've got their four thousand dollars ready to invest. But absolutely you can use that money to start investing. And I think, you know, it's such an important thing here as to what we're talking about here. It's about getting started because you can then level up from here. But you know, I ran some really very basic numbers here, and if we assumed a net return of seven percent per annum, and you were to start with a baseline of zero, so nothing is just starting with your one hundred dollars per week, that's it, and never increased it. You know, over the course of ten years, assuming set and forget and reinvest everything, you're going to have between seventy to eighty thousand dollars and ten years time, which is a lot of money. That is a lot of money, you know, from just trimming the fat from your budget or picking up a side hustle. And then of course we stretch that out further because compounding interests can work even harder with time. You're looking at two hundred and fifty.
Speaker 1: Thousand dollars over what period?
Speaker 2: They are? Twenty years?
Speaker 1: Oh really, yeah, this is what about that jumps up quickly for twenty years.
Speaker 2: I'm banging on about the importance of getting started because the earlier start you're giving yourself more time to allow this to work for you. And then stretch it to thirty years, five hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. You should be a financial planner. That's great advice. That's amazing. That's that's one of those figures. For ten years. That sounded pretty good. I'm like, oh, yeah, seventy to eighty thousand, that's good. But then the twenty year figure, and this is.
Speaker 2: Why everyone needs to realize it's time that is doing all the heavy lifting for you and your money, not the amount. We're still stuck at one hundred dollars.
Speaker 1: Can I ask, and I want to come back to a couple of other things to do with one hundred dollars a week. One of those is kind of saving for a home or paying off the mortgage. But something that you said there just just reminded me of something. How much of this is about the hundred dollars, but how much of it is really about those good money habits making them a part of your your life now while you have time to allow them to work their magic.
Speaker 2: I'd say eighty twenty so Perrito, eighty percent is the habit is the amount. So and once you have that habit in place, leveling up on the amount is really very simple.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: If you have that awareness, you have that habit, you're paying attention, you're reviewing your checking and even if you're only increasing it from say one hundred dollars a week to one hundred and one dollars a week, do that over the course of the year. You know, before you know it, you've had a fifty percent uplift in what you're actually contributing. You're going from one hundred dollars per week to one hundred and fifty two dollars per week. If you like these numbers that I've just repeated, and so not repeated, I've just read out, well, skyrockard even further. And it's all because you created as a priority and made them non negotiable in your life, and you got started and stuck to it and didn't deviate from it.
Speaker 1: Okay, back to the investing and the things that you can do with one hundred dollars a week. We talked about super we talked about starting a portfolio, and you do not need to have a thought to do that. Just even a parcel of five hundred dollars that can get you going right, five hundred, one thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Well, one thousand dollars project portfolio is started with one thousand dollars, and that's worth over three hundred and sixty five thousand dollars today.
Speaker 1: That is great emergency money. I feel like I need to redeem myself forgetting about the paying off debt earlier. But what about putting this hundred dollars a week into your emergency money to build up that safety net, that buffer.
Speaker 2: So that you sleep well at night. And I love the idea of emergency money. It's not just the money, it also is what it makes you feel. Ironically, this morning, I was looking at I was doing some internet banking, and I looked at our emergency money, and our emergency money sits in our offset account, and so it obviously helps save us time and interest in the meantime, but just that comfort and going I'm actually really proud to see that we have emergency money again, as pretty icularly as I was got completely wiped out a few years ago, but to see that we're actually back on track again. But it's that emotion, a sense of you know, stability, security and comfort seeing it there. It actually goes beyond the actual dollar amount of what's in that account.
Speaker 1: Saving for a home or paying off the mortgage.
Speaker 2: Is that, yeah, they're two great things to use, and you know, people like the sooner you can start even if you don't necessarily think you know, you're not necessarily one hund percent sure you want to go and buy a property, to have you just having that there as an option, so that should you choose to one day, you've actually got some a bit of a deposit already started. You know, the one big thing in financial planning is is not about necessarily the perfect, most efficient, and you know, powerful and effective strategy for clients, but it's more about one that gives them the most amount of choice and flexibility. So having that even if as I said, if you're not one hundred percent sure that you want to use that money for that goal necessarily or frieveing that goal's right for you, having it there as a backup, as an option to tap into further down the track when you have greater clarity is really powerful. And if you have a mortgage and you are able to find one hundred dollars per week, please like put it on the mortgage. Now you do need to think about the nuts and bolts behind your long term game plans, because for some people who are planning on moving out of their principal place of residence and turning it into an investment property, the advice is a little bit different. But making sure that you speak to a mortgage where I can get in a financial partner obviously get some advice around there, but you can save huge amounts of time and interest by increasing your contributions by that one hundred dollars. And you know what, I would recommend anyone who's got a mortgage right now and thinks, you know what, I'm going to go have a crack at finding maybe not necessarily one hundred dollars per week, because I think that's quite hard, but maybe one hundred dollars per month. Plug your mortgage details into any extra payment calculator and there are thousands of them online, including on the Sugar Mamba website, which is free. You will be gobsmacked as to how much time and interest you will save over the course of say a twenty five year loan or a thirty year loan. It gives you the biggest kickup the art motivation to actually go and find that one hundred dollars per week or per month.
Speaker 1: That probably leads me neatly into my last question, which is kind of how you do this long term without it feeling like a grind, like trying to find one hundred dollars a week or set up these habits that are going to last for a long time so that you can take advantage of the power of compound interest, that you can take advantage of the benefits of paying off your home loan kind of five years early and saving thousands of dollars in interest. How you do it without it feeling like it is just never ending? Is it about finding those goals and attaching that to it.
Speaker 2: Well, before I answer this question, I do want to also recommend that people automate this as well, because if you have to rely on your list of things to do for the day or a calendar note or alert on your phone, is you know, we get busy, we just get distracted. Temptation comes away, it won't actually happen, or it will happen, and you'll start, you know, forget about it, and you'll never see the fruits of your potent for the opportunity behind this. So automate as much as you can. A resalary, sacrificing and after tax contribution automation at a regular savings plan, a regular investment plan, an extra mortgage repayment plan. Automate absolutely everything. But then once you've done it, track your progress, you know, get to know your your numbers. You know, have a relationship with your financial journey where you can for example, and Michael, he's got his eyes raising me in the most peculiar way, Like I'm going to like start some sort of imaginary friend.
Speaker 1: As soon as you said to have a relationship with your numbers, I'm.
Speaker 2: Talking obviously like I'm being facetious. Here a connection where you go, you know what that impact of that extra one hundred dollars per week on our mortgage is actually meant we've saved fifty dollars per month in interest. And you know, looking regularly reconnecting with those calculators so you can actually see where is this hard work paying off and is it worth it? And of course you know the whole point of trimming the budget is to add value to your life, not to deprive yourself. But if you can actually see, all right, if we can stick to this, we don't necessarily have to increase it. But we can just stick to this, it's going to mean that we can retire one year earlier, which is huge. Or it means we can retire with an extra five thousand dollars per year, which will give us even greater financial stability and comfort. Or it means we're going to be in our home, first home or second home sooner fast, or we're going to be pay off the home loan eighteen months earlier. These are important things when you can see the potential payoff from this, it makes it so much easier to stick to and it actually doesn't become a bore or a frustration. It actually becomes a challenge and you almost gamified within yourself.
Speaker 1: I like the sound of that. That actually makes it sound very, very positive and achievable as well, hope. So all right, if we want more information, where do we find you?
Speaker 2: The best place that could reach out to me? Who is you know sugar Mom a TV on Instagram?
Speaker 1: Okay, and you can hear me every day with Sean Aylmore on Fear and Greed business news you can use. Thank you for listening to how do they afford that? Remember to hit follow on the podcast. And the best thing that you can do is actually tell somebody else about the podcast, send them a link to this episode. Thank you very much for your company. Join us again next week