Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome back to the Math twenty podcast, and welcome to a statement I'm about to say which may shock some of you.
Speaker 2: It's even a shock to me.
Speaker 1: Still, I am slightly in disbelief, but I must publicly put this out there that as of right now this morning, I stand with Gea on one specific small issue that has happened in the past week. I thought that hell would freeze over before I ever found myself taking Gea's side on anything in life. But here we are, August nineteenth, and I've been thinking about this one for a few days now, and I have to say, I think, for potentially the first time, well I don't want to say in her life, for the first time in our lives of even knowing Gia's existence, I think I have to give her the benefit of the doubt here and go, you know what, Yeah, I agree with you. The other person here is in the wrong. But before we get to that, let's just start with some other news. It was the Logis a few days ago. Experts John and Alessandra were there. They did a few interviews on the red carpet, and as expected, everybody was asking how filling the new series is going without the lovely Mel Shilling there by their side.
Speaker 3: It's a little bit of sweet because you know, with Mel not being here now, it's it's sort of, you know, difficult at times, but you know, we are flying. They married at first side flag. Yes, it's very different this year, but we are really enjoying the process of creating something new. Also, well, it's early on in the experiment, so with that being the case, they're really being tested in terms of whether they are able to open up and let someone in or whether they're just going to keep to their old patterns and basically rule people out. So that's always fascinating to see who dives in.
Speaker 1: As of right now, Channel nine are yet to officially announce the new AX, which I spoke about in the last episode of this podcast.
Speaker 2: She's called doctor Doctor Love.
Speaker 4: My name is doctor Love, and I'm a relationship expert if.
Speaker 2: You ask me.
Speaker 1: They're delaying officially announcing her, and so they can legally change that name because this show is laughable at the best of times, and to bring in an expert with the name doctor Love, I'm sorry, but come on, if you want us to actually take this show seriously, you're gonna have to do her name change.
Speaker 2: There's no other way around it.
Speaker 1: That's like me being introducing myself, like Hi, I missed the podcast actually was is that her legal name?
Speaker 2: Let me get Google up?
Speaker 1: This is another podcast where I haven't written a script to bear with me, Okay can confirm not her real name in the slightest She is legally known as bridget Zonta, which doesn't roll off the tongue as much. But maybe I would take that a bit more seriously than Doctor Love. It's still I wonder how long it's gonna take until I don't laugh when I have to.
Speaker 4: Say that my name is doctor Love and I'm a relationship expert.
Speaker 1: Other news from the mass world this week is Chris and Beck have been back on TikTok Live, which you know they were all doing a few months ago, and by the looks of this live from the other day, they were also back on the Wines. I didn't watch it, but chatter kind of clipped up this moment where Chris was talking about if he's still friends with.
Speaker 2: Gia, is Crystal friends with gr No? No, what happened? No?
Speaker 1: Now, I've got to say, when I saw that clip, I did just like roll my eyes a little bit, because like does that come a point in all of our lives? So you just grow up and move on, and like, Okay, if you're not friends with someone anymore, either don't draw attention to it, or if you are going to draw attention to, actually discuss it in like a mature, growed up way, like you know, go into the the complexities of friendships as adults, especially navigating that when you've got like a public profile and there's a lot of interest talk about this concept with I've always found fascinating of like how do you break up with a friend? Like we all know how to end romantic relationships, but this idea of breaking up with a friend, and I've had that the last couple of years.
Speaker 2: It was one person.
Speaker 1: Like as the years past and the more we'd catch up like every few months as a little group, I found myself maybe not aligning too much with them and having less in common. And then I just thought, I'm leaving these catchups feeling like drained in a weird way and not great. And then I question, like the there's been a few instances like this in my life. I question, like, if I met this person present day, is that somebody I would be friends with or am I just seeing them because you know we met or five years ago, ten years ago, whatever, Like I've always found that topic fascinating and like Chris, you know whatever the issue with Geir is, like, if you're not going to go into it.
Speaker 2: Don't do a little giggle like am I friends with Geer?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Like to me, that's just and.
Speaker 1: This isn't any shape to Chris, I don't think I've ever actually spoken to the guy. It's just like talking in general, like we're all grown ups. After I saw that little clip of Chris and Beck, though, I did stop and think, like, oh shit, I've been so busy lately. I literally have no idea what most of these people are up to. And then I just you know, opened Insta open TikTok, had a little scroll because I was quite curious the like, how are they all settling back into their normal lives now they've got like, you know, an audience on social media? Like are any of them offering up any content of substance and depth to their new found followers? In the first page I landed on, was Alyssa enough for surely Alyssa who knows the world of social media can be offering something that could inspire people, Like, what content can she put out to the world that's gonna make people go.
Speaker 5: Yes, I can't believe it's been well over eight months since my last dental check up and take for any session.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, yep, not really what I was expecting when I opened that video and TikTok, But then I thought, you know what, let's give it the benefit of the doubt.
Speaker 2: Let me let me scroll down a little bit.
Speaker 1: Let me just click on a random of a video from recent times and think, surely Alyssa has something beneficial to put out the two hundred and eighty eight thousand people following her TikTok. Surely she's got something to offer them of again, substance and depth and inspiration and yeah the play.
Speaker 5: One thing Mass taught me was never under estimate a good night sleep. Between moving house and getting back into some kind of normal routine, It's been very much reset your energy. And I realized I'm actually at that age where a good mattress is exciting, slightly concerning that.
Speaker 1: Here we are fucking hell, And then a thought, all right, next up, who we got? And I clicked over to Joel remember Joel. He was fun, he was a laughing he was like I hung out with him once briefly. He was nice guys. And I thought, surely, Joel, like he's offering some great content. You know, there's surely some fascinating things he could be talking about and offering his quirky perspective on and I pressed player and his last video posted one day ago, and listen to this.
Speaker 4: Do you think you think having a teddy is manly?
Speaker 3: Yes, we do, gea.
Speaker 2: Do you think taking your teddy for walk is manley?
Speaker 1: Hm?
Speaker 4: Go down in the woods today?
Speaker 6: You're sure of a big surprise.
Speaker 1: Joel is still talking about his teddy Bear and like, don't get me wrong, I even made a video with Teddy's with him at the time, And like, I agree, grown men, no shame have a teddy bear, talk about your teddy bear, show that teddy Bear to the world, but also don't make the teddy Bear your entire personality.
Speaker 2: Months have passed.
Speaker 1: I don't want to sound mean, but find something else to post.
Speaker 2: For the love of God, Am I being meaning this podcast? Are we all? Are we all thinking the same?
Speaker 1: Like like the people are mentioning here, I don't really have anything against them, but it's just like so much time has passed since their series, like so much life has passed all of us. Like in On Life, moves fast, move with it, don't keep just you know, trying to flog shit like Alyssa. No one cares you've just been to the dentist. And also no one cares that you've got a new mattress. I don't mean to be mean, but again I don't think there's I'd say, arguably, how many billion people are in the world, I would argue that three of them care that you went to the dentist. That's free people and Joel like we backed the teddy thing at the time, but find something else. And I'm going to offer some free, unsolicited advice here to any of the cast if they're listening, but also to everybody. Like my day job, a lot of you know, is in social media and content, and I work with a fair few, like more like mainstream celebrities rather than reality stars, and I come up with like strategies and content plans and things like that, and the difference between somebody like making it on social media and actually building and engaged following that will stand the test of time, and like people will then care if you've been to the dentist. Is like just being real with them and not just milking things like the Teddy to death. Like stand for certain things and topics and issues that you know affect all of us. Like use your platform to I don't want to say, just raise awareness, but talk about these things that are going to help people either feel seen or part of something or connected, and like build a community through your followers. And then once you do that, that's how people will then care about the more boring parts of your life. Like, oh, I've been to the dentist. But if you're only offering them superficial in the nicest way, shit, you can't build a career as a creator or public figure. And like, I know some people find her polarizing, but Abby Chatfield, it's just a perfect example of you know, she found fame on a reality show, and very quickly after that show she moved on. I don't think she's mentioned it in and I've not seen her mention it in years because it's not her personality. She gained a platform from there, but then she used that platform to talk about, you know, issues she's passionate about and that other women especially are passionate about and that built her a predominantly female audience. All these mass people they come off the show and they either go, well, I'm now super famous, so I'm just gonna flog a load of shit and promote mattresses and going to the dentists because I'm a star. I know you're you're quickly gonna lose followers and your engagement rate is going to drop to nothing that you then don't get any more brand deals or are you going to go the opposite way and you're just gonna make mass your entire personality and you'll be like Joel, Wait, you know, four or five months leg, you're still making content around storylines that we've all long forgotten.
Speaker 2: Like does that make sense to everyone?
Speaker 1: Like, surely it does, But often I think things that are obvious to me maybe aren't to everybody else. But back to the point of this podcast and me siding with Jea. That brings me to my next former cast member of this year whose page I recently landed on, and that was Julia Hi.
Speaker 5: I'm Julia.
Speaker 6: I am thirty six from Melbourne. I've been working in TV for a very long time. I'm also a communication speaking coach, have my own business called Talker Sheep Academy, and I'm the founder of product called Winegasm.
Speaker 1: Now, for any of you who have forgotten who Julia was, she was the bisexual bride who was matched with a man named Grayson. And in the adverts, you know it was like will she get a guy or a girl because she's bisexual, and like her sexuality was essentially just made her entire personality, not by her but by the network the promos, and then you know she's mattually racingly didn't really get on I don't barely remember them, to be honest, to go on the show for two seconds, and then since then they've kind of just fizzled away.
Speaker 2: But now Julia.
Speaker 1: Has been back and she's created a game like a card game that she's releasing or has released, called mind Gasm, which this is the description. Mind Gasm is so much more than just a game. It's a response to how we date now. We live in a culture of fast swipes, quick hookups, and fleeting connections. Everything feels superficial, especially if you're watching Alyssa go to the dents that she did. For that, I've just added that one Julia Julia sorry goes on to say, when I was unmarried at first sight, I experienced this firsthand. I wanted to feel connected to my partner and build emotional intimacy first, before we jumped head first into bed. People laughed at me and thought I was weird. I honestly daily remind their storylines. Anyway, she goes on, this is the advert for the game, by the way, but for me, emotional chemistry has always been the precursor to sexual chemistry. What does precursor mean? And I've since realized I'm far from the only one who feels that way. So I created the exact thing I wish I had in my back pocket at the time. Mind Gasm is fun, playful, spicy, and vulnerable. It's an invitation to ask better questions and to lead with curiosity. Mind Gasm is officially live PREORDI or mind Gasm Game Today. Apparel collection available now, website, linking my bio. Thank you to everyone has supported me bringing this game to life. I just want to point out I'm not being paid to promote this because that felt like an advert. So yeah, anyway, here's the drama and the GF thing. So Julia's made a game.
Speaker 2: Great.
Speaker 1: To go back to my previous point, She's gained a little following from Maths. She's probably looked at the analytics of that. I would assume it's likely women of a similar age. She's probably going, well, what am I passionate about? What do I stand for? What do they likely stand for? And then she's come up with this game to sell to them, which actually great idea.
Speaker 2: Cannot knock it at all.
Speaker 1: But now the issue is last week she was doing a launch party for that, and she invited several former cast.
Speaker 2: Members, including Gea.
Speaker 1: But then as the day got closer and closer, she then decided to uninvite Jea.
Speaker 4: Julia from my season of Maths. Right, we talk like here and there, like not a lot. But she was kind enough to send me her new She was kind of to send me her new card game mind Gus and I was like, oh, this is so lovely. And she DMed me and was like, I would love you to come to the event that I'm doing on Friday, which is tonight, and I would love you and Alan to come. And I was like, oh my gosh. She lives in Melbourne. I'm in Melbourne. Already like sure. So I was like, great, we'll come. And this was like maybe two weeks ago she asked us, and I was like, yeah, great. And then she last week said, oh, you know it's getting sold out. Do you still definitely want to go because otherwise I'll give you a ticket away? And I was like no, no, no, we're coming. Anyways, two days ago, I get a DM from her, and I'm not blaming her. She's not at fault here, but I'm just going to show the DM that she sent me. Pause to read that if you want to.
Speaker 1: The text message that Jia just flashed up in that TikTok read, Hey, honey, I wanted to reach out to you personally about Friday. A couple of concerns have been raised by attendees that I need to take seriously, and after a long thought, I've had to make the really difficult decision to withdraw your invitation to the event. I want to be really clear that this is not about you and I or a reflect of how I personally feel about you. It's simply a decision I've had to make as the person hosting the event, taking into consideration the comfort of everybody who will be there. I know this may feel hurtful, and I'm genuinely sorry to put you in this position. It wasn't an easy decision to make. Ultimately, I've had to decide what will be best for the event. I really hope you can understand that this doesn't change where I stand with you personally, love heart.
Speaker 2: Now, to me, that is.
Speaker 4: A shit go so as you can see, some people have been uncomfortable attendees by my mere presence or potential presence of me and my boyfriend being at the event. I just want to make something very clear. I was just at an event with half of the cast, some that don't like me, and absolutely nothing happened, nothing took place. I think people need to let go of the petty bullshit. It's been over a year. Who cares. No one is going pregnant and going to start some stuff. It's just not gonna happen from me at all ever, Like it's just not And to be honest, it says more about that person or those people than it does about me, because I have no problem being anywhere with anybody at any event, because I just know my aura and my vibe is just like, no bullshit, no drama, I will walk in and be polite and then go to the other side of the room so that I don't make somebody uncomfortable. But as much of these as these people say that I was a bully or whatnot, this is also bullying to purposely exclude somebody from something and make the person hosting the event feel so uncomfortable that she'd had to uninvite me and my partner because other people were saying that they don't want me there. I just think, like, that's just petty, it's just stupid. Grow up.
Speaker 1: And this is the thing of what I dislike about, like influence, the culture that creates a culture, like even just the media celebi world of like how people are privately versus how yeah publicly. And you know, I don't think I've agreed with a single thing Gia has said or done since we started watching her on the show. But I don't really know Gia personally. I had a few experiences a long time ago now. But Julia does know Gia personally, and she obviously sees something in Gia that she either considers like a friend or an acquaintance or something, or she sees some good there to the extent that you know, she was happy to invite Gia to her event, but then when other people says, oh, I don't like Gia, she's then gone, well, oh shit, yeah, I don't one to invite yea. And that to me, it's like, nah, if you are actually you know, you actually see some good in Gia and consider her a friend of some kind and you did want to there, and it's your event, stand by that. Don't let other people dictate your own guest list. Like again, it's your event for your game. And to then uninvite someone because other people have said, oh, I'd be uncomfortable because I didn't like her on the show, I didn't like watching her in the Telly. It's like you're just bowing down to the masses. And this may sound a bit of like a controversial take now, and I'm kind of making this a lot broader, but this is what I really hate about the concept of cancel culture, and its why for years I was so hesitant to even start a podcast or leaning to doing more contact myself. Because these days this isn't about g and now because like, no offense, but your behavior on the show is shit. But like in the broadest sense, like you see so many people out there, and they may make a slip up and say something that's taken out of context, or say something that is just not great, but there is often not bad intent. But then like other creators would then jump on that and it's like a Pilon effect.
Speaker 2: Where they'll be like, I can't believe this.
Speaker 1: This person has previously said they stand for these things, and now they've said this one thing. They should not have a platform, they should have their accounts deleted and no one should ever listen to them again, and they should be banished from society.
Speaker 2: And it's like, often it's not.
Speaker 1: That deep, and like when it comes to cancel culture, I think, you know, if someone is out there spewing hatred and inciting hatred and violencer, or you know, if they're convicted of these horrific things and actually it's deserving to deplatform them, then I think that is where cancel culture is great. But often it becomes this thing where if you like follow someone for example, and every single thing they do and say doesn't align with every single fot you have, then suddenly it's like I can't believe you would do that, or does this make any sense? I think years ago when that phrase cancel culture became a thing. It was a good thing and a good movement where the masses were going. Actually, this person whoever was being canceled, you know, someone like Harvey Weinstein for example, of course he should be canceled. He committed horrific things for years and has now been jailed. I think he's in geil like that is someone who should never work in the industry again if he's even.
Speaker 2: Is he alive? But you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: And then it's like in society, you'll never find someone who shares every single belief and thought as you do. And to me, that's often a good thing because the world would be kind of boring. Like some of my friends, my closest friends, God, some of their political views, I'm like, are you serious, and like we have so many debates about it.
Speaker 2: I challenge them.
Speaker 1: It doesn't make them a bad person, doesn't mean I hate them, doesn't mean that I should never speak to them.
Speaker 2: It's just life.
Speaker 1: I feel I've gone really off topic now with this point. But to circle back, like, yeah, I do side with Gia here in being upset and annoyed and frustrated about being uninvited because if I had someone who you know, privately supported me and wanted me at their event and something, but then someone else said, like Josh, if he comes, I'm going to feel uncomfortable, and then I got an invite, I'd be like, well, I'd be like, what the fuck does that mean? You're not my friend then? Or you're just going with the more popular opinion, And to me, that would make the person making that choice Julia had just come across as disingenuous completely, And I get it from Julia's point of view slightly. You know, she's launching a finger and she probably just wants as much visibility and as many people at that event as possible. And if you know, say three people say they're not coming, if one person, Geer, comes, then she's thinking for the event. But nah, in life sometimes she's just got to stand up and go I'm not gonna bow down to what it feels like, oh the popular opinion here, And like, you know, if I was in this instant, well, firstly, I want to invite you to my event, but do you know what I mean? If I was having an event and I had someone I was close to coming and then someone else says I don't like them. I go, well, I've invited them, so don't come. Then, like, I'm not going to then uninvite someone to police someone else. Yeah, I feel like I'm talking as so because now this is what happens when I don't have a script. But yes, to end this podcast, let the record show that for this one day in history, nineteenth of August twenty twenty six, I Joshua Fox took the side of gear from maths say Er