Speaker 1: Welcome the Late Debate. It's great to have your company on the Late Debate. I'm James Macpherson with Liz Store and filling in for Caleb Bond. The Great Kel Richards coming up tonight. A Melbourne family desperate to sell their home enlist the help of a Hollywood movie star. Will show you the commercial they produced a little later. Plus, when we look at the papers, police warn that someone will die because of overcrowding in Gold Coast watchhouses, and the Legal Aid Department in the Act explain how they came to hire a convicted child sex offender to be involved in child cases. All of that when we look at what's making news tomorrow. But first let's start in the UK, where the government have been advised to show empathy to children who identify as animals. The guidance came from the Children's Society. That's a taxpayer funded charity that is supposed to protect children from exploitation. Now follow the logic here, because maybe it's not as crazy as it seems if you subscribe to radical gender theory. I mean, if a man can identify as a woman, who's to say a man can't identify as a cat or even a Lama. Indeed, the UK Health Minister Ashley Dalton recently said people who identify as Lamas should be afforded dignity and respect. Calvin liz I would say that the classic case of wooly thinking. Each person the charity explained that their experiences are unique, and so they've told government department to staff that they need to understand they'll never truly know how other people are feeling, and that they should try to be open. They should learn, they should listen, and they should exercise empathy when dealing with kids who are a identifying as animals and presumably apply rather supply large amounts of kiddi litter. This has implications for Australia too, because just last week a teacher in a Queensland school was stood down after it was revealed that she was identifying as a cat, wearing cat ears to class, licking the back of her hands and hissing at misbehaving students. In twenty twenty two, The Courier Mail reported that Brisbane Girls' Grammar School had to deal with a number of students who were identifying as cats, even to the point of cutting holes in the back of their uniform. So that their imagined tales could find release. What makes me curious, kell And is this whole appeal to empathy. We're told that if you don't endorse people's feelings and validate them, then you lack empathy. And of course no one wants to be accused of lacking empathy, because that would make you a narcissist. And this is what I would describe as toxic empathy, where it's used to bully people into suppressing what they know to be true for fear of being thought an unkind person. But of course it's not kind to indulge people's stupidity, let alone their delusions, and let alone for children.
Speaker 2: And this is what happens when you indulge people's delusions, This is what happens when.
Speaker 3: You indulge people's fantasies.
Speaker 2: Now we've got people who are fully grown adults identifying as babies and staying home.
Speaker 3: It's all very grotesque.
Speaker 2: Having their nappies changed in a warm milo in their bottles. It is utterly disgusting to watch, and watching it just like this, you're once again reminded the mental health problems in today's society are just off the Richter scale like, we are not in Kansas anymore, ladies and gentlemen, we are so.
Speaker 3: Far off the reservation.
Speaker 2: But when it comes to kids, I want to start a campaign called bring back Bullying. Hear me, because if even ten years ago a kid had tried this on in the school yard, all the kids would have mercilessly mocked them, said, mate, you're not a cat, and we're not going to pretend otherwise, and nobody can tell us to.
Speaker 3: You're being an idiot.
Speaker 2: End of story, and they would have cut it out quick smart. It's in this society now where we're literally, in the name of empathy and compassion, as you say, told that we must facilitate people's mental health problems. That's what this is, and it's coupled up with several other things as well, those who identify as furries and actually go around dressed up as.
Speaker 3: A cat or some other furry animal.
Speaker 2: This Children's Society says that nearly one in eight furries also identifies as trans in non binary, which is twenty times higher than those not identifying as furries. So if someone's getting around confused about what species they are, confused about what gender they are for crying out loud. This is someone who genuinely needs psychological.
Speaker 4: Helpkel exactly exactly you said in your introduction, James, this may not be as crazy as it looks it is.
Speaker 1: It is everything follow the logic. The logic makes sense if you start with their premise. I meant, the premise, of course, is way off the.
Speaker 4: Ra well, the whole of the premise is wrong to some extent. This is a wash up of the whole trans thinking. In other words, you aren't what reality says you are. You are what you think you are. Now, if you start down that road, you start with boys who want to be girls and girls who want to be boys, and you end up with boys and girls who want to be dogs and cats and wild tigers. And identity politics has actually made it really hard to talk sensibly about mental health. What Liz was saying about mental health is the whole issue. The Left, who advance all the identity politics keep telling us there are mental health issues. People need to deal with, these serious mental health issues.
Speaker 1: But they're not.
Speaker 4: Dealing with them. They're pandering to them. And I thought of a parallel thought of anorexia. An anorexica is someone who identifies as being fat when they're in fact in a dangerously thin body. So they've got a mental problem. It's a mental health issue that they're dealing with. With anorexics, we don't say that's all right, that's perfectly okay. If you identify as being fat, will say you're fat and let them starve themselves to death. In that case, we've already worked out that's not what you do. You realize it's a mental problem, not a physical problem, and you try to give them psychiatric care to get them back on track. What's the difference between that anorexic person and the girl who imagines she's a boy or the girl who imagine she's feline rather than human. It's exactly the same mental process. So we have to be honest enough to say we recognize mental health, will we see it.
Speaker 1: It's an interesting phenomenon in our culture at the moment where it's almost like the problem is not that we're too bad. The problem is that we're almost too good. We've become so tolerant we don't associate it, so inclusive, we.
Speaker 3: Don't associate it so committed.
Speaker 1: To diversity that it's gone so far that then in the name of being kind in the name of being compassionate or empathetic, we end up damaging the very people we're supposed to be helping.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this is a weapon that the left has used for ages. It was the exact same rationale they used around the same sex marriage debate. We want same sex marriage. Bake our cakes, blah blah blah. Anyone who raised any concerns was shouted down as a hateful bigot for youth in Asia debate, everyone who was like, I don't think dying with dignity, which is what they call it, because again, this is all about compassion, and this is just all about helping people die with dignity and honoring their last requests, etc.
Speaker 3: And so on.
Speaker 2: Everybody else on the other side of the debate saying, I don't think there's much dignity in a state sanctioned injection to end a life.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about this. We're created in the image of God.
Speaker 2: Or if you don't believe in God, you have to know that human life is sacred amongst all lives on the planet. Maybe we should treat people with actual dignity instead. No, this is compassion and only this. You must agree to it at all times now we've got a raft of mental illnesses. And once again, unless you just say yes, unless you just roll over, unless you just use their pronouns, the billions of pronouns that there are, now most of them you can't even figure out how to pronounce them. Unless you do everything we say, then you're just lacking in empathy and you're just lacking in compassion. People have to on mass shrug off that rationale because it's not rationale at all.
Speaker 3: If I am lying to you, I'm no friend to you at all.
Speaker 2: If you are saying I think I'm deoce or I think I'm that, and I'm saying yeah, yeah, you absolutely are, and facilitating your delusion, I'm helping you make a fool out of yourself.
Speaker 3: In front of absolutely everyone.
Speaker 2: The Bible says it's the wounds of a friend, because a real friend will tell you the truth, but it's a fool that will flatter you no end and say, oh, yeah, whatever your perception of reality is is.
Speaker 3: Perfectly fine we need.
Speaker 2: And again it speaks to how few friends people have these days. People have never been lonelier, they've never had less people in their lives willing to say I'm going to tell you the truth.
Speaker 1: What's the problem with tolerance, isn't it? Because Torrance just doesn't really care. Tolerance says you do you and damn the consequences. But I'm not going to be thought a bad person by speaking truth to you. So I'll just let you carry on as you are and whatever happens happens. Tolerance is not that kind.
Speaker 4: Tolerance is unloving because the opposite of love is not hatred. The opposite of love is indifferent, correct, And that's what it is. It's indifference. We just's saying, in the end, you'll be mugged by reality, which is what happens to all of these people. In the end, they are mugged by reality, and we're going to let that happen. We're going to do nothing to help you, nothing to sort of get you back on track. We're just going to give up on you.
Speaker 1: I just.
Speaker 4: Yes, we could say this again and again, but it is just so obvious. And I think this is a ninety ten issue. Ninety percent of Australians who agree with us, there's a weird ten percent who don't. This is what everyone thinks.
Speaker 1: Well, grace is where you say I think you're wrong, but I still love you. That's why people say amazing grace. No one ever sang a song called amazing tolerance. How squeet the sound other issues. If the coalition win the election later this year, then Senator just Enter Price has been charged with slashing government waste, and I reckon she'd be sport for choices on where to start. But I think we may have found an area where she could immediately begin, and that's by axing the First Nations Ambassador. Yes, we've got a First Nation's ambassador. Justin Mohammad was appointed by the Albanezi government in twenty twenty three. His initial brief was to engage regional partners in voice, Treaty and truth, which is kind of curious because I'm not sure what our partners in the Pacific have to do with the indigenous voice to Parliament here. But of course when that failed at the referendum, his job was redefined to help counteract China's influence in the Pacific, and I'd be fascinated to hear what Justin Mohammad has done to frustrate Jijingping's ambitions.
Speaker 4: He didn't smoking ceremonies, did a lot of smoking ceremonies. Lesson that's it, get rid of China.
Speaker 1: Maybe that was it. He's also been charged at this with helping to develop a first nation's foreign policy, and I can't wait to hear what our first Nation's ambassador has to say about Trump's twenty five percent tariffs on aluminium and steel. Penny Wong says, he's opened up new channels of exports.
Speaker 3: For really and what are they?
Speaker 4: Non?
Speaker 1: Say what they are? Oh, the general expert point of praise. It's a role that clearly has been created out of thin air. Speaking of air, the First Nation's ambassador seems to spend quite a bit of time in it. In fact, the only people really happy with his role, I would say, is probably Quantus taxpayers have been spending twelve thousand, eight hundred dollars a month in the last half of twenty twenty four paying for our First nation ambassador's international travel, hotels and meals. You can see there on the screen. No shortage of trips over the second half of last year, to Geneva to Vanuatu, to San Francisco to Dubai, to Kansas City and Washington to New York to Paris, to honor Lulu, I'll tell you what he has been everywhere. If you're totaled up all of the flights and international expenses, it now runs to a quarter of a million dollars in just two years that's been spent on this position.
Speaker 3: Liz, And where's our return on investment?
Speaker 2: Okay, even as a politician or a counselor local government counselor, when you go on these ridiculous junk kids, you do have to submit some little paper.
Speaker 3: The nps don't. They're supposed to be like, well, just my presence was.
Speaker 2: The value, obviously, but the local counselors they have to submit a paper just saying, look, this was what I got out of it, and hence the return on the investment. The rate payers have spent this money sending me over there, we see nothing. We see absolutely nothing. And also, because we're talking about the world's only first nations people, ambassador, I imagine that when he rocks up at these events, there is flummexed read what this guy's good for? As we are, you'd just be like, who is this bloke? Learn his title, and still be like, okay, so what do you do?
Speaker 3: What are you good for?
Speaker 2: Why would I even strike up a conversation with you. What are we going to get done? It's extremely ridiculous. We love doing these things, particularly the Alban Ezy government loves doing these things.
Speaker 3: That are world firsts. And then you look at them and you.
Speaker 2: Realize why their world first tell nobody else had such a ridiculous, redundant idea.
Speaker 4: And you've got to get back to basics. The basic principle is why do you have an ambassador to represent some Australians and not all Australians. Ambassador's jobs is to represent everyone in the nation. I mean, if this is going to be a founding principle and we'll have ambassadors for groups, can I put my hand up to be the ambassador for baby boomers because that's my general I could represent baby boo Australian baby boomers around the world. I mean, we likeing to go on treks to discover the lost masters of Elvis, Presley and Memphis, really useful things for baby boomers.
Speaker 1: I mean it's this Helban easy government ideas.
Speaker 4: Kel I think there's a fundamentally absurd idea that you have any ambassador representing some Australians and not other Australians. To Enterprise has said she will abolish it when she becomes the Minister for Indigenous Affairs. We look forward to that, and that's just another reason to vote for the Coalition in the coming election. It's coming soon. You'll have your chance here.
Speaker 2: Something else we're looking forward to is hopefully President Donald Trump saying that this twenty five percent tariff on steel and aluminium doesn't apply to Australia. We know that our Prime minister has had that very interesting phone call which none of us are privy to. No promises were made on the line, but here's what Albo did disclose. Well.
Speaker 5: President Trump gave a very clear signal yesterday when he said that an exemption for Australia is under great consideration.
Speaker 1: There his works are.
Speaker 5: They're consistent with the discussion that I had with President trumpet was a very warm and constructive discussion and engagement will continue to do so.
Speaker 2: Better than nothing will take it. These tariffs come into effect on March twelve, so we have a little bit of time to play with already. You may remember back in twenty eighteen, Trump threatened to do the same and Australia negotiated getting off the hook.
Speaker 3: So we were Home and Hose.
Speaker 2: But there was one caveat on that agreement when they said that we would be exempt from the tariffs. The deal was that Australia would not use that exemption leverage it to create a massive advantage and massively up there exports of aluminum to Australia well to America. Sorry, well, unfortunately, that's exactly what we did. When you look at the graphs from twenty nineteen, our exports of aluminum to the US go through the roof.
Speaker 3: They more than double.
Speaker 2: So the guys in the States are saying, you guys broke your word, which is creating a bit of nervousness here. I'm going, well, maybe we won't be exempt this time because.
Speaker 3: We did break our word.
Speaker 2: Here's Peter Navarro, Trump's top trade advisor, explaining that Australia we are singlehandedly nuking their aluminium trade over there.
Speaker 6: Australia is just killing our aluminum market. And the President Trump says, no, no, we're not, We're not doing that anymore. Australia's primarily aluminum when it comes to the United States and the The major companies in Australia are held majority owned by the largest shareholder is China, and what they do is they just flood our markets. After Biden let them gave them an agreement that said, don't flood our markets, you can have a reasonable amount. Our aluminum industry Pamela is on its back. It's a fifty percent capacity utilization rate. In Australia it's ninety percent.
Speaker 2: Now, I don't know what Peter Navarro's smoking, because Australia's imports into the United States of America of our aluminum.
Speaker 3: By the way, aluminum.
Speaker 2: What even is that properly marked is just two point five percent of the aluminium that they import.
Speaker 3: So to suggest that our imports.
Speaker 2: Have got your industry on its back like a dead cockroach is just ridiculus. Also, China isn't the big biggest importer that they use either, That is Canada. Canada is steel an aluminium. They're the biggest country on both accounts there. I just couldn't help but notice a lot of inconsistencies in what he said back. I was like, that bit's wrong, that BET's wrong. I mean, we genuinely are responsible for just two point five percent of their entire Aliminium is the issue.
Speaker 1: The amount that we exported to the US or is the issue that we said we would do one thing and then we did another. I think that's the bigger point that he's trying to make. Regardless, it presents a big problem for Anthony Albanese.
Speaker 3: I mean, is that howpfault though? Because they took it. They could have just been like.
Speaker 2: Hey guys, I mean it's been years since twenty eighteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they let us import it.
Speaker 1: The bigger problem is Anthony ALBERANIZI because this statement from the I reckon representative happened just twenty four hours after Anthony Albaneze had come out and said we had a forty minute phone call. You know, remember Anthe Albanesi boasted that he was scared, very scared of Donald Trump. I won't say exactly what he said. There was a couple of expletives. But now, Anthonyobernez He's had a forty minute phone call. It's all been fantastic. Trump's described him as a fine person, and within twenty four hours it's all fallen apart. It looks like the appearances Albanze had been given not that solid. And Albanize he needs this. The country needs.
Speaker 4: It too, by the way.
Speaker 1: But I'm not sure who needs it more, Australia or Anthony Alberanzi, because if he doesn't get this deal, it plays into that narrative that the Albanese government have not been on the front foot with our relationship with America, that all the things they've said in the past have now come back to bite them, and that the Albanze government don't know how to represent our best interest.
Speaker 4: And it's the whole big narrative of Albany. He is a week leader, I mean, so if it falls over that, that will be the issue that comes back. I think when Malcolm Turnbull negotiated a carve out from some tariffs in America, it took him seven months. Alberanze has got four weeks to get this done. And we are already covered by the tariffs because the tariffs have no exclusions, so we're in and they come into effect on the twelfth of March. So somehow between now and the twelfth and March, he's got to get us carved out.
Speaker 1: Forgetting killed. We've got doctor Rudd in Washington, so it's going to be okay.
Speaker 4: Now, I wasn't forgetting was suppressing it. There's a difference. Look, this Navara. You're right, Liz, he's a worry because he gets a lot of stuff wrong. But if he's still Trump's advised, I mean, I also this is just me, but he said when we did the deal with Prime Minister Morrison we had this extra bit was added as a verbal agreement. Verbal just means in words. It doesn't mean a spoken agreement. He means an oral agree. So he's one of these people who's stuffing up the English languages all as well as his knowledge. So I'm sorry, but he is, as well as his knowledge of Australia's aluminium production. But if he is Trump's advisor, Trump will listen to him. I think there's a big hurdle to get over. It might happen. I mean they might actually do it, if they might succeed in persuading Trump, yes we'll carve you out. But it's now just looking very if he isn't it.
Speaker 1: It'll be interesting to see how Peter Dutton the Coalition handle this one too, because on the one hand they want to see Anthony Albanezi fail, but on the other hand they can't be seen to be barracking for him to fail, because that would be against the National interest, so they need to be pretty careful about the way they speak about this situation.
Speaker 2: Yes, for now, they'd be very glad that Albow's in those shoes and help them.
Speaker 1: Indeed, well, I'm sure most people are very well aware of a couple of nurses in a Sydney hospital who said on a video chat to a Israeli man that if any Australian Jews came to their hospital, they would kill them. The video is gone, not just viral in Australia but around the world and caused an incredible amount of shock. It's like every time we think we've seen the worst anti semitism in this country, and politicians come out and assur us there's no place for it, there will be no tolerance of it. Then you wake up the next morning and something even worse has happened. Most of our viewers would have seen this video, but I'll tell you what, I've seen it a few times today and every time I watch it, I'm shocked all over again. Here's what happened.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna be really honest with you. You actually got a really, really beautiful eyist. But I'm so upset that Israeli, like eventually you're going to get killed, and Jahanda, it's pretty iron in this world for longer.
Speaker 1: Why do you think, Why do you think I'm going to get killed?
Speaker 3: It's Palistine's country, not.
Speaker 1: One one day, and the time will come.
Speaker 3: And you will die the most we spread them.
Speaker 1: And when time comes, how are you doctors?
Speaker 3: I want you to remember.
Speaker 7: Okay, okay, I have a question though, all right, all right, for sure, I.
Speaker 1: Have a question though. I have a question. Let's say let's say an Israeli.
Speaker 4: Read them, I won them, I'll kill them, You'll kill them.
Speaker 7: So if an Israeli is in Australia and that's forbid, something happened to him and he comes to your hospital, would you kill him?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 7: You have no idea how many Israeli? How a dog came to this hospital.
Speaker 1: And unbelievable stuff. The New South Wales Health Minister Ryan Park said the pair will never work for New South Wales Health ever again. And I would have thought that would be the least of the consequences what he had to say.
Speaker 8: Those people subject to that investigation will not ever be working.
Speaker 1: For New South Wales Health again.
Speaker 8: There is no place, no place in our hospital and health system for this sort of view to ever ever take place.
Speaker 1: Now police are now investigating. It'll be interesting to see what, if any charges are laid, particularly in light of the fact that the New South Wales Parliament just recently passed strict new hate speech laws. Have a listen to Chris Min's speaking because he makes a very important point. Not only is this rank anti Semitism, but when you start calling into question the integrity of the hospital system, you really are putting all Australians at risk. What he had to say on radio.
Speaker 9: Today, we need to send a clear, unambiguous message that if you go to an emergency department, if you're on a ward anywhere in New South Wales, you'll be treated by people who have a highly trained who are highly skilled, that care about you. And I can understand right now members of the Jewish community, and even though that our members of the Jewish community would be appalled at this latest revelation, we just can't stand for it.
Speaker 1: Just before we get into a bit of a discussion about all of this, can I just draw your attention to Mark Butler, the Federal Health Minister. He tweeted about this incident today and I just thought this tweet tells you everything that's wrong with the government's response. He writes, the video circulating in New South Wales is appalling. Can I say the video is not appalling, The attitude of those two nurses is appalling. He says, the idea that you would single out a particular group in our community, well, I wonder which particular group he's speaking of. He should be particular because it was a particular group. I'll help the Health minister it was Jews that they were talking about. But of course he can't name the Jews as a particular group who are the victims in this, because then you'd have to be particular about the group that were making the claims. And then he goes on to say that they indicate they wouldn't care for a particular group. No, no, the situation is far worse in this country than that, Mark Butler. They're not saying they wouldn't provide care. They were saying they would kill Australian Jews who came to that hospital. And this is the problem that happens over and over with this issue, that our politicians, particularly our federal labor politicians, will not call a spade a spade. They try and downplay the problem, won't provide care. They were threatening to take people's lives a particular group. They were talking about Jews. If you can't call out the problem, God help you ever trying to solve it.
Speaker 4: And we have got an issue with our federal government because they've been soft on this for fifteen months. They've been soft on this. Now they've just passed a law which actually must cover this action. It's the Criminal Code Amendment, Brackett's Hate Crimes Bill, which was just passed with the support of the Coalition, and that bill is about incipment to violence and this can't be anything except incipment of violence. It takes out intent, which is really hard to prove, and replaces it with advocate or reckless speech. Now, at the very least, even if they thought they were being funny, which they weren't, they were clearly serious.
Speaker 1: And they've since claimed that the male nurse there, who incidentally came to Australia from Afghanistan when he was twelve years old, became an Australian citizen four years ago, so it'd be interesting to see if that's looked at. But he claims it was all a big misunderstanding.
Speaker 4: It was a jokekell But even if it was, it comes under that heading of reckless speech which might incite someone else to commit violence. It is covered by the Act. Now if they are not charged under that act, what it tells us is the a Belize government passed this act saying we're tackling at his emotism. But it's just for show. It's performance. They're just saying, you know, see, look we're doing something, but they don't actually charge anyone under the Act. I think that that's a big test. Someone I know said to me today, I now would feel really uncomfortable going into hospital if any of the nurses were Muslim. Now, that's unfair to Muslims, right, They're blanketing an entire community like that is really unfair. And there are some fabulous Muslim Australians, but those two people have done that damage to their community.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good point. I just want to go to a Catholic hospitals.
Speaker 3: Well, that's how segregation starts.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it's not actually people being forcibly segregated, it's people being made to feel unsafe dealing with anyone but their own.
Speaker 3: So then you know, you could apply that to different religions. You could apply that to different.
Speaker 2: Skin colors, people naturally feel like, well, I'm going to be taking care of by my own. The others I'm not so sure now, And naturally that's how Jewish Australians are feeling with regard to I mean, if you were going to hospital for any reason right now and there was someone who appeared to be Muslim, you would be hoping that they weren't of that ILK. This is just such an extraordinary story that there's this like chat room streaming type thing online.
Speaker 3: This Israeli guy just buzzes people.
Speaker 2: And likes to ask them what do you think of Israel? Almost like you know, a taking the pulse of just all these randos who pick up. Apparently that's what the chat room is for, and he gets these two vile flogs. Little did they know justice would be this swift, that that would actually go viral. They probably had no idea that they were being filmed. You have to believe that, otherwise surely you'd be smart enough to shut up. But yeah, this is really laid such an incredible case Bear. But I don't think that this would be captured under incitement Kell because given the conversation was just between the three of them, this wasn't being broadcast to anyone, etc.
Speaker 3: And so on.
Speaker 2: Who exactly would they be inciting. Incidentally, I'm very much against those laws that the federal government have passed. I'm a free speech absolutist. Once you pop, you can't stop. And that's what these guys are doing, beefing up bills.
Speaker 3: That censor your speech. You can argue that's for the good.
Speaker 2: I will argue that's for the bad, because at the end of the day, free speech is hate speech. You either have both or you have neither, and I personally very much want both.
Speaker 1: I don't know if they were stupid in the sense that they didn't realize that this video was clearly going to go viral, or maybe they were just incredibly brazen because they've been emboldened by the fact that for fifteen months not much has happened at all, as anti Semitism has ramped people and up and up, and they just felt incredibly bold to say whatever they damn well please.
Speaker 4: People have not been prosecuted. I mean, that's the big deal. We have not seen people prosecuted. From the ninth of October twenty twenty three, when the big demonstration was in front of the Sydney Opera House, before Israel had fought back against Gaza or done anything. On the ninth of October, there was an ugly demonstration that was illegal, that broke law was no one was ever charged. Can I change the topic. We need to lighten up a bit because this gets us really depressed. You know there are people who say, I can't watch the news anymore. Too depressing. So we'll talk about something else. We'll talk about pets being allowed on aeroplanes. That's depressing. The Virgin is about to launch this because the Civil Aviation Authority has made as possible you'll now be allowed to take your pet on your aeroplane. The details of Virgin's pets on planes policy have emerged, including the weight limit for the pet plus the carrier. It's eight kilos, so it has to be a softball carrier for the cattle of the dock.
Speaker 1: It's a size cat.
Speaker 4: I got to say, well, but you can get dogs that size. Eight kilos is a fair sized Adam. And you know what you do when you get a neuroplant, You put it under the seat in front of you. That means the pet person's behind me and it's under my seat and I want it under my seat.
Speaker 1: This was proposed by virgin about a year ago, and they're still trying to work through all the regulatory aspects. Because of course you've got food issues, because you're going to be preparing food basically in a tin can at thirty thousand feet with animals crawling around. You've got issues of allergies. I'm allergic to cats and dogs, so I can't imagine having your moggie under my seat for three or four hours as I fly to wherever. And then they've got the issue, of course, of what happens if a dog just starts barking. I mean it's bad enough when you've got babies, and I've flown with little kids, so I totally understand how difficult it is for parents. But I mean it's pretty bad when you get a kids screaming as you're coming into land and their ears are adjusting. But could you imagine a dog, well just going off and not a.
Speaker 3: Thing of them defecating.
Speaker 4: Well, coach to be cleaned out before they get on the plane. But how many will be allowed on a flight, because if one dog starts barking, all the rest will join in and you will have a chorus up and down the end, the cast.
Speaker 1: Will start freaking out. You'll have pandemonium. They're going to allow two rows, apparently on select Virgin flights, primarily between Melbourne and Sydney. I got to say, I flew into Sydney last weekend and as I was exiting the terminal, I thought I need to go to the bathroom, and so I went to you know, down the sort of the corridor where you normally go to the bathroom, and I was going to go into the disabled toilet. Actually this because I just really needed to I just needed to go faster.
Speaker 3: You don't admit that. You don't admit.
Speaker 1: That it is what happened right where the disabled toilet would normally be. They've now put a toilet for animals within the terminal, and we've got a photograph here that's inside that I actually went in there out of curiosity. You can see they're the artificial turf at the rear of the toilet there that's where you take your animal. So terminals are already preparing for this initiative by Virgin a Reek.
Speaker 2: Anyone who has smelled a cat's urine, No that is going.
Speaker 4: To add Mark their territory, don't they They mark their territory. We had a really well trained little dog. Once we could take it outside and the command was empty, and it did it was terrific. But how can you ensure that anyway? The whole thing is just so.
Speaker 2: I think this will be so short lived for a very simple reason. Everyone will be avoiding those particular.
Speaker 1: Fly absolutely, and Virgin will just.
Speaker 3: Be like, yeah, this really isn't lucrative. Is it really could have told you that before it got off a blueprint.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's a pretty simple concept, and you've just got people who aren't.
Speaker 3: Pet people at all.
Speaker 2: I can appreciate other people's bad not when I'm locked up with them on an aeroplane against my will, but I can appreciate other people's pets. Then you have people like you who are allergic to sounds like everything, And then you have other people.
Speaker 3: Who even have phobias.
Speaker 2: And genuinely like if a dog comes up to them, they're like, no, get out of here.
Speaker 4: But I'm a dog person. I love dogs, absolutely adore dogs. I just don't want to be locked in an aeroplane for an hour or two with dogs. A dog, you know, dogs are wonderful. They just love you, you know, without any reservation. So love dogs don't want my aeroplanes, that's the answer.
Speaker 1: I actually think this could be a wonderful and very successful advertisement for Quantus Airlines. They should start marketing themselves. We only fly human beings, although the fairies would be confused. So there is that. We're going to go the reason to run it. Indeed, when we come back, we'll look at what's making news tomorrow, including police on the Gold Coast warning that overcrowded watchhouses means someone could get killed. That's coming up in just a month. Welcome back. Let's take a look at what's making news tomorrow. Everyone knows there's a crime crisis in Queensland. In fact is there seems to be a crime crisis pretty much everywhere in this country.
Speaker 3: And fordually it's not special.
Speaker 1: But the Gold Coast Bulletin have got a story. It seems to go from bad to worse for they do.
Speaker 2: Indeed, their jails are bulging and they're afraid something very bad is going to happen. Exclusive cops worry about death's at capacity in at capacity Gold Coast and logan watchhouses, lock ups, fatality fears, the splash reads beat cops, fear of death in custody is watchhouses on the Gold Coast and logan overflow with prisoners and hit capacity regularly. Quote when you have that many people staying for extended periods in places that are not prisons, it heightens the risk of illness and injury, or it'll end in a death of a child. None of us should be forced to wear that risk. End quote. Source said sounds pretty dire. I forget about watch houses. They're usually the things on old Western movies where they're like, can't take them to the jow, but they lock them up in that corner in.
Speaker 3: The sheriff's office.
Speaker 2: But the fact that obviously in order for the lockups be that full, they're arresting a sizeable number of people within a pretty short period of time.
Speaker 3: That's also concerning.
Speaker 2: I mean, who are these people filling up the lockups with purely larity.
Speaker 4: This is just part of the dysfunctional disaster that this coalition government under Chris Fooley has inherited from their labor predecessors, from Miles and Palaschet. They let the crime problem build up. They never spend enough money on building lockups, prisons, watchhouses or what have you. So they've inherited this and quite frankly, how they sort it out of no idea. They've got to find the money somewhere to do something.
Speaker 1: And when you say they've inherited a mess, I mean it's on every level. I mean, if you go right back to the very basics of policing, police have been hamstrung in Queensland for so long. You think of the issue of car theft and police are not allowed to give chase and so you've literally got i know, in North Queensland kids stealing cars as police have to give up a pursuit because they're not allowed to chase. Then if they get them to court, you've got problems with sentencing and kids released on bail. And now you've got watchhouses over crowding where you could get to a situation where the Union are encouraging police not to make arrests because then they fear they'll be responsible if they put someone in the watchhouse and it all goes bad. So you're right, the L ANDP have inherited a absolute dog's breakfast.
Speaker 4: How they fix it, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well, I think they can fix it, but it's going to take time, and the L ANDP have been judged pretty harshly in the first three months for not getting crime under control. It took labor what nine years to make a mess of it. It's going to take David Chrius fully more than three or four months to get it under control. Let's go to the Canberra Times, speaking of things not under control, track record defended the Act Service finally reveals how a child sex offender was hired. Well, I'm very curious to hear the defense. Let's read the article. It says Legal Aid Act is finally revealed how it unknowingly hired a convicted child sex offender for a role that involved working on sensitive cases involving children. I'm on the edge of my seat. I'm sure you are too. The next paragraph contains two words human error. I got to admit I did laugh when I read that. Well, that explains it. It was human error, as most things are. What happened was they gave this self described and I quote pedo a job in the agency before his working with children. Police check had been returned. Now there was an issue concerning this particular person who had a change of name, and so that meant it took longer to get the police check back than it normally would have. But the issue here was they started this person working for the agency before the police check had been returned. It's a pretty big human error when you've got someone who had been convicted for transmitting child abuse material now working on cases involving vulnerable children. And if you were a parent whose kid was being looked after all, the case was being attended to by this person who only worked there for a few weeks before they realized the mistake and corrected it. But shee As a parent, you would be ropable. You've already had a broken trust in terms of what had happened to your child. Then you go to legal aid and the very people who are meant to help and support you then put your child in danger all over again.
Speaker 2: Someone should be fired for this something of the importance of this enormity. It's not just a oh sorry, dump human error. You don't get to make human error when you are literally in the defender's office trying to look after children and you have hired a self described pedophile, someone who has been found in possession of child abuse material and disseminating that online. This is one of the most vile crimes you can possibly imagine in my books. The fact that this guy obviously thought he could get away with it as well, was naturally going after a job cell that worked with children, Like no one can convince me that wasn't with some.
Speaker 3: Sort of sick, evil intent. Then God we found him when they did.
Speaker 2: But like for crying out loud, if you're going to do your due diligence regarding onboarding in any kind of industry, looking after any kind of people, it should be this one.
Speaker 4: And you're right, someone should be sacked because it's simple. It's basic. Okay, here's a basic rule. You don't employ anyone until you have the working with children clearers than the police. Really simple rule. It's when the simple rules are broken you're in big trouble. In Tasmania, they are more concerned about what's happening in education because the headline in the Tasmanian Mercury says too many ditching class. The story says Tasmanian State schools have the second worst attendance record rates in the nation. As student absences continue to be significantly higher across the country than they were pre COVID. There is this thing of school refusal, where kids who went through this horror of COVID, in effect expulsion from schools, stay home. You don't need to go now, are just refusing to go back. I've heard a story about a lovely old lady we know who's a grandma and her daughter nine year or ten year old granddaughter. It was just refusing to ten school. This is the kind of behavior that's happening. I presume this is the kind of thing that's happening in Tasmania. I'd like to know the rest of the story. If they are the second worst, who is the worst.
Speaker 1: The other issue is not just kids not wanting to go to school, but there was an article the other day talking about the high number of high schoolers who are not going right through to year twelve, which they're blaming on mental health issues, which I'm sure is part of it, and we open the show talking about mental health issues amongst our young people. But the other thing, of course, is that trades have suddenly become very popular, so there's a lot of young people who really don't need to go to year twelve because they could finish at year ten or eleven, go straight into the workforce, get an apprenticeship, some of them fully subsidized by the government, and they start earning pretty good money.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and then you're not start paying off a massive x stet like well into your thirties.
Speaker 3: Depending on which degree of course.
Speaker 4: Go into the trades, they end up extremely rich.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, well.
Speaker 3: They actually do very well for themselves.
Speaker 2: You'll always need a trading. You'll always need a trading. People have never been dumber with respect to Oh, I need to fix this, I need to fix that. They just called someone now and that's where the trade is.
Speaker 3: Make a bang.
Speaker 1: All right, Let's go to the Cans Post who come up with a benefit of global warming. That wouldn't be the Can's Post without a picture of a crocodile on the front page. Exclusive crocodiles are getting lazy as temperatures rise, reads the headline. Hot and not bothered. Far North Queensland, crocodiles are spending more time trying to stay cool and less time hunting or mating as their body temperatures increase. So finally, global warming, Liz has a tangible benefit. The crocodiles in fact thorms and just could be bothered attacking anybody these days they're just looking at the shade.
Speaker 4: Relax.
Speaker 2: People can be chill around them now because they know that the crocs don't even care.
Speaker 4: They're just like, oh, dosey crocodile's tourist attraction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where to go to a break when we come back. A Melbourne family trying to sell their house looking for some sort of advantage, so they appealed to a Hollywood star to help them, and he came to their aid. We'll show you that in just a moment. It's not always easy to sell a house. You need all the help you can get. And kill a Melbourne family where they got some very special.
Speaker 4: Help, Liam Neeson said, he carefully correcting himself. Liam Neeson good actor Beni Shindle this list, but mainly famous for doing the action movies like Taken, and apparently got to know these people because they supplied berries for his morning yogurt or something like that. And they said, we're trying to sell the house. Will you take part in the commercial? And Liam Neeson, great actor, said yes. And it looks like this.
Speaker 1: Me limne Neissen is coming to Melbourne.
Speaker 4: He wants to talk to you.
Speaker 1: Hi, Leenne, I got the perfect home for you in Wilverley Park, Waverly Park listening I'm shore in a movie at the moment two video. Sure you'd better be quick otherwise this home.
Speaker 4: Bobby teat him, who very original?
Speaker 3: Mean? Lianne is here?
Speaker 1: Lianne, I didn't give you the address.
Speaker 5: Yet, I tolds you I would find you.
Speaker 4: Now. Liam Nelson is an Academy Award nominated actor, but you don't actually see a lot of him. What you actually see is the Academy Award nominated arm That's about what you say.
Speaker 2: I don't even think that's him, right, I just assumed it was Ai. By the way, I'm sure most people will. It's kind of a waste to know that. Oh it's actually Liam and he had a personal relationship with these guys and they put it together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the owner of the house that the house is in Moulgrave. It's on sale for one point three one point four million dollars. By the way, Liam Neeson does not come with the home, but the owner of the home worked as an assistant director on one of Liam Neeson's movies. The families became friends. When Liam Neeson was in Victoria filming. They bought him berries for his morning yogurt as you said, Kel, and they're having a bit of trouble moving the house. So made a phone call at the request of the real estate agent, who said, what could we do to come up with a good way to market the place? They said, well, we happen to know somebody, and there you go. Liam Neeson couldn't appear in person because of prior com he might might legit.
Speaker 4: He is in Victoria at the moment shooting his new movie, an action movie called The Mongoo, so he might turn up. He could do.
Speaker 1: Indeed, that's it from us, but stick around. Coming up is the Riata Penny Show. Good Night,