Speaker 1: This is Paul Murray Live. Friend the welcome Everydings.
Speaker 2: We are here having a good old fashioned time.
Speaker 1: Hello everyone in Brasee. How are they up the back?
Speaker 2: Good stuff? God love you here. We're here at the Eden Hill Hotel. Peter Dutton will be here a little bit later to take our pub test.
Speaker 3: Where are People of the Pulmary Live audience decide to ask whatever question they want, they'll get the chance to do that with the alternative Prime Minister a little bit later. We'll also have a deeper conversation about the Queensland election with Chris Jones, of course from the Courier Mail, who's well got all sorts of insights as well as no doubt their final polls all the rest of that. If not, he's going to have to quickly do one now. And Cameron Milner, of course, who you know, is willing to tell the truth about the way the Labor Party does or more importantly at times does not work. But first, I love Queensland and I'm not saying that in the political pandering way, that in the way that for as long as I've been able to choose where I go on holidays, I have from schoolies to Tooley's to now been coming to Queensland. I've been going to the Jew storm, sunny curls. I've got family up the road and the best of possible friends here. Now, I don't say all of this to suck up to you. I say this to say you've got a huge choice on Saturday. I love Queensland. It's the place that I would choose to live if I had the free choice. It's the place I choose to be when I am at my best self, when I share it with my friends and with my family. This is a magical and special place. And on Saturday you have a chance to make a decision about who you want to run it for the next four years. It's not just an election, it's about a custodianship. So tonight I wanted to say right off the start, after saying what I've said about why I love Queensland and it's people, why I love everything here, there is a lie at the heart of this election that is very effective. It is the best lie that has been issued in Australian politics since the Labor Party claimed the medi Scare campaign back in twenty sixteen. It is a claim front and center that there is going to be a change to abortion in this state. Now, this is not part of any party platform yet the Labor Party, unable to have a record to run on, rather than saying what their performance has been in the past four years or the years before that or the years before that, have found a way to change the subject. It was a lie the first time they said it, and it is a lie today now in all three debates or people's forums, David crucifully, when confronted with the lie, has said this.
Speaker 4: There will be no change to those laws.
Speaker 5: Changes to that Act are not part of the plan and they will not be changed. There'll be no changes and I haven't moved one millimeter. There's going to be no change to abortion walls in Queensland.
Speaker 3: So it's definitely not part of their plan. He has said multiple times it is not part of their plan. Even when the worst case scenario where someone who is a backbencher says, if I could do if I could have my say, we'd have a vote on it. I'll tell you how that vote's going to go. It'll stay the way it is. The entire Labor Party will vote for it to stay the way it is. Three quarters four fifths of the Liberal Party will vote for no change, meaning even on day one, if there was a vote on abortion, it will not change. Yet Stephen Miles, despite the fact that he knows this, despite the fact that he has looked into the eyes of the person saying it is a lie, keeps telling the lie roll the tape.
Speaker 6: Can anyone tell from David's answer just then what he thinks about this issue. I mean, this is a really important issue where you have a conscience, spoke, give a straight answer.
Speaker 1: Are your pro choice or not? Now?
Speaker 3: For Queensland, like every other state or federal election, like half of people are going to vote before Saturday, which means many people who have already voted have walked past a sign that is a lie. The sign couldn't be any clearer. The sign says a vote for the LMP is a vote to make abortion the crime.
Speaker 1: This is a lie. You know it in this room, You know.
Speaker 3: It to people that are watching. But to the people who you pass this video on too, they need to know that it is a lie.
Speaker 1: This should be illegal.
Speaker 3: Politicians can tell mistruths, they can shade a little this and that, but if you say you're definitely not doing something, but they're still able to hold up a sign saying you're definitely going to do it. You can make anything up. If you are a person who is convinced by this, I understand why you're convinced by this, because you think the system has guardrails in it that people can't lie to you like this. But they can, and the system and the guard rails have been written by this government. They decided to make this a preferential election, not a first past the post, because they know they don't have enough votes, so they hope for the preferences of people like the Greens. They know that because they do not have a record to run on. They change the way your elections are funded.
Speaker 1: Here where as opposed to a political party.
Speaker 3: Being able to raise as much money as it wants and then to be able to spend it how it chooses, they set a law in place that is as bad as Joe's jerry mandering of the seventies and eighties, which said that a political party Greens, one Nation, Liberal Labor can only spend x amount of dollars in one seat at one time. Okay, that's a level playing field, but you know who also can spend one hundred thousand dollars an independent group in Queensland. Despite the fact that the Labor Party and the Union Movement are literally joined at the hip, you cannot be a member of the Party in the Parliament without being a unionist. They are fifty percent of the say of the constitution of the party. Guests who gets counted as an independent group the unions and the unions are also limited. Each individual union can spend an x amount of dollars per seed. Well, guess what happens when two of them join up. That's a two to one advantage on everyone else in the race. In this state there are more than fifteen us that are registered, which means at any one time, in any one seat, at any one moment, one side of politics is able to outspend everyone else ten to one.
Speaker 1: They did that.
Speaker 3: And they don't want to be judged on that because they expect most people in Queensland are busy doing something else, watching something else, reading something else. Well, tonight, the reason I start this program the way I do is you now have a resource to show them. Send this video to someone who you know needs to know the truth. The abortion thing is a lie. It is not changing no matter what. In Queensland, the union rigging of the electoral spending means people are able to spread lies on the party's behalf when they are the party. This would be a scandal if it was a property developer.
Speaker 1: Oh, because it's a union.
Speaker 3: It's just the way it is in a state where the stop go person gets paid two hundred thousand dollars because the union are able to stand over the government. And I also say this about the union movement too, should there be a change of government, as sure as Sunday is the day after the election, the unions who have stayed silent about a shitty health system will tell you every problem that has ever happened. And in real time, the same people who have stayed silent about youth crime will tell you about every broken window. Because this is how their plan if they lose government is to win it straight away. It worked in South Australia one term liberal government. It worked in Queensland the last time around with one term liberal government. All of this is so you know what's going on because you watch this show, because you get the detail.
Speaker 1: You understand that on this show we.
Speaker 3: Don't just look at the beach, We count the grains of sand, And while every other person quite rightly is busy and just might drive past the beach on the way to the cafe, or might only turn up to the beach every couple of times a year because they're on holidays. You need people in the debate who know the grains are sand. So the abortion thing is a lie. But the following things are not lives. The following are human beings who no longer are alive in Queensland because firstly of youth crime. Emma Lovell is not a lie. She was killed on Boxing Day in twenty twenty two. Carlos Stewart was killed in Ipswich in twenty twenty one. He is not a billboard. He is not a lie. Renee Laddermore, a seventeen year old, was charged with her murder in August in Mackay of twenty twenty one, Scott, the forty seven year old uber driver, a seventeen year old boy along with an eighteen year.
Speaker 1: Old were charged with his murder. This is real Queensland.
Speaker 3: This is not the BS, this is not the Union Line, this is not the poster. This is the record they are running away from and why they are changing the subject. Jennifer Broad, a twenty two year old no longer with us. Matthew feel and his beautiful wife Kate.
Speaker 1: You know their story and you.
Speaker 3: Know that their dad or sorry, her dad, is going to be running as a candidate of this election. There's also Michael he was hit with a stolen car in Winnham two years ago. And then there are the people who have died because the ambulance didn't turn.
Speaker 1: Up, or they died in the back of the endmbulance.
Speaker 3: And that was run by the premier who used to be the health minister. There is nowhere to hide while he talks about reproductive rights, what about the right to when you call triple the ambulance turns up. What about the right that, after three terms of government that when the ambulance turns up, that you go to a hospital and you go to the emergency ward. You do not sit in the back of the ambulance, You do not sit in the.
Speaker 5: Hallway, You do not die alone.
Speaker 7: Those who will not be voting at this election Robert Miller, he died after waiting for six hours for an ambulance. Kath Groom, who called an ambulance it didn't turn up.
Speaker 1: She went to bed.
Speaker 3: Her son found her dead because the vibulence didn't turn up.
Speaker 1: Wayne Irving.
Speaker 3: There are stories after stories, but more importantly people after people. Derek de Witt, these people have all died in the last term of this government. For God's sake, vote for them to get rid of this lying mob. Now, a couple of other things before we get to Peter Dutton, and we look forward to those questions in a moment or two time. Now, of course, power bills, as we know greatest Prime Minister of all time, Anthony Albernezi, what was that promise that he made of the last election, because I'm still waiting for it to pay off roll tape.
Speaker 8: Two hundred and seventy five dollars, two hundred and seventy five dollars, two hundred and seventy five dollars, two hundred and seventy five dollars, two hundred and seventy five, two hundred and seventy five, two hundred and seventy far, two hundred and sey five, two hundred and seventy five, two hundred and seventy five dollars.
Speaker 3: And you know how we have to spend billions of dollars going from the system that worked to the system that we hope works, because apparently that was going to be cheaper.
Speaker 1: Right, Roll the tape on this idiot.
Speaker 8: We're not walking away from our commitment to get more renewables into the system. And yes, they are the cheapest form of energy available, the cheapest form of energy that's ever been available.
Speaker 3: The boss of a email came out today and said, guess what, even if all of this happens and when they get everything they want, guess what, the power bills won't actually be cheaper. Roll the tape on this bloke.
Speaker 9: But you're saying you cannot guarantee that the current government policy settings which you model will deliver lower power prices.
Speaker 10: I can't guarantee that, No, And what I would say is we would try to be quite clear about the communication of our message, which is that the integrated system plan, which considers these things generation, storage, and major transmission upgrades, is the lowest cost pathway. It doesn't refer to whether it's cheaper or more expensive for that wholesale component.
Speaker 3: Blah blah blah blah, bullshit blah blah blah. That goes on with these people. Right, we definitely must move from this thing to that thing. How much will that cost? I don't know, are trillion dollars? Okay, so I've got to pay the trillion dollars and then it's going to be cheaper, right, Oh absolutely? Okay, cool, here's a few hundred billion dollars, so it's going to be cheaper.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: Maybe not, but you've already put the deposit down, so you might as well pay the rest of the bills.
Speaker 1: Fitting Now, Trump's winning, my friends, Trump is winning in his election. I don't say that to revue up and.
Speaker 3: I, as you know, I've been cautious through all of this. Here's the latest polls, right seven swing states that matter.
Speaker 1: This is the average. Okay.
Speaker 3: Trump is winning in Arizona, He's winning in Nevada, He's winning in Michigan with consin Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Georgia. Okay, if all of that happens, we're having a very good night on the fifth of November. However, there may be one or twos that obviously don't turn up. So at this moment in time, things are going well. There's also about thirteen to fifteen million people who have already voted early, and smarter people than I are able to work out what's happening with that vote. If you're in this room or you're watching Telly right now, lean forward, because guess what. Trump's winning that too.
Speaker 11: If the early vote numbers stay the way they are, and that's a big if, we'll almost certainly know before election day who's going to win the election. We're going to talk a lot about that, the reasons why Democrats might be underperforming, the prospect that they'll recover.
Speaker 1: So as for Cabala, Harris, guess what she did today? Nothing? She literally she took the freaking day off.
Speaker 3: Now, she did do an interview with NBC which was supposed to be friendly.
Speaker 1: But let's find out whether this was a good interview or a bad interview.
Speaker 3: First, are the last four years an obstacle to you?
Speaker 1: Softball? Softball Harris?
Speaker 12: Here's how I look at it. First of all, let me be very clear. Mine will not be a continuation of the Biden administration. I bring my own experiences, my own ideas to it, and it has informed a number of my areas of focus, most of which are on to your point, lowering costs. I am traveling the country. I am very clear coast to grocery is still too high. The voters know what I know it.
Speaker 3: She was asked whether or she agreed with people like Barack Obama who think sexism is involved softball kill a Malaga flop?
Speaker 13: Do you think there is sexism at play here?
Speaker 12: Let me just tell you something. You've come to my events and you will see there are men and women at those events. So the experience that I am having is one in which it is clear that, regardless of someone's gender, they want to know that their president has a plan of lower cost, that their president has a plan to secure America in the context of our position around the world.
Speaker 3: And two weeks out from the election where she hopes to replace him, let's talk about just how sleepy, sleepy Joe Woods softball op come on odds?
Speaker 13: Can you say that you were honest with the American people about what you saw in those moments with President Biden as you were with him again and again repeatedly in that time.
Speaker 12: Of course, Joe Biden is an extremely accomplished, experienced and capable in every way that anyone would want if they're president.
Speaker 4: You never saw anything like.
Speaker 13: What happened at the debate night behind closed doors with him.
Speaker 12: It was a bad debate.
Speaker 1: People have bad debates.
Speaker 13: Should he is, absolutely, that's the reason why you're here. And he's not running for the top of the ticket.
Speaker 12: Well, you'd have to ask him if that's the only reason, why what do you think I am running for president of the United States? Joe Biden is not.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: All right, ladies and gentlemen, the alternative Prime Minister, the leader of the Liberal Party and m Knight none other than pet it up.
Speaker 1: Please work, I.
Speaker 2: Take a stake, take a seat, take a seat mine. Well, welcome back. We've done this before and thank you very much for doing it again for us. It's welcome to a part of the world. Had good, right audience, Well, you can tell the difference lock time.
Speaker 3: That's the politician, right, Let's see the difference between the Queenslander and the wannabe Queenslander.
Speaker 1: I'm sweating.
Speaker 4: He's like, this is just the stuff.
Speaker 1: Don't worry about that.
Speaker 3: So how the interview goes? I love your sweating. Later and all right, well we'll see where the questions are from good people today. Interestingly and amazingly, ninety one percent of people who were surveyed disagreed with what Lydia Thorpe did you were in the room, What were you thinking at that particular moment when no one's cheering her on, no one's murmuring, no one's clapping, She's just.
Speaker 1: Making the spectacle of herself in front of the king.
Speaker 7: Well, I couldn't see her from where I was sitting, so I hadn't seen before that that she was standing with her back to the king as he spoke.
Speaker 4: So I think it was entirely predictable that if she.
Speaker 7: Was in the room and she was carrying on like that, that she was going to form some stunt, which is exactly what she does now. The difficulty in talking about it is that you're giving her the attention that she wants, and she seeks in craves. But I think the government has real questions to answer because once she had made her stay sort of performed the stunt, it was very a very slow reaction for the escort out of the room, and I just think the government should have been better prepared for it, and they would have planned and they would have had discussions, but for whatever reason, they didn't jump in quickly enough.
Speaker 3: What's your response to the AEM most stuff that came out of centered estimates today where government's made a decision. They say there was the fork in the road in twenty twenty two. There are hundreds of billions down the road. A lot of that is off budget, meaning we never actually see how big all of that is. Yet they themselves turn around and say, despite the main sales pitch that at the end of this rainbow, it's cheaper ed.
Speaker 1: Might'en be well?
Speaker 7: I just think some of the emotion is now being replaced with the reality and as you pull the sheet back on this, you're going to start to see a lot of anomalies. And Chris Bowen, I think has been misleading the Australian people, along with Anthony Ovineasy for years now. If you look at the off sure Win turbines, they've got a life of nineteen years, so you have four cycles full life cycles compared to the nuclear reactor which has got a life of between sixty eighty and probably extending out to a century. And none of that second, third, fourth life is taken into consideration in their program. So the whole thing is a hoax and I think the penny has dropped for a lot of Australians. A lot people have been well ahead of this debate and the frustration is building in the community because when the Prime Minister promised on ninety seven occasions he'd reduced power bills, both two hundred and seventy five dollars for most people have gone up by one thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: And amazingly, if your promise in going into twenty thirteen was stop the boats, but two years in they weren't stopping, people would be going nuts.
Speaker 4: I mean, this was a sab would be outraged, wouldn't.
Speaker 3: They Just yeah, they may also actually be investigating what may or may not have happened inside the Deputy Prime Minister's office. I know that's right only even it's Barnaby Joyce. But we get the idea, right. Let's get to some questions here and then old Pepper as we go along. We have Nicole who's here? Nicole Peter Dunn't what do you want to ask you?
Speaker 9: Good evening, mister Dalton. My question is how is Lydia thought allowed.
Speaker 14: To continue as a senator when she's stood before the King and clearly denounced her oath.
Speaker 7: Well, she's given an oath to the Parliament and she needs to honor that oath. But the way our democracy works is if somebody is elected at an election in the in the Senate for six years, their term is for six years and it's now up to the Australian people to vote her out.
Speaker 1: She was obviously voted.
Speaker 4: In as a Green and has departed.
Speaker 7: She's even too radical for the Greens, which is quite a phenomenal statement. I think it should be an alarm bell, particularly for a lot of younger Australians who are thinking the Greens are all about the environment, when in actual fact, the green facade on the shop front is nothing like what happens when you step into the store. It's just a radical, you know show, and there's all sorts of crazy policies that they espouse, and she is a key proponent of that.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much, Nicole.
Speaker 3: I'll get Jane up Nicks, but before that, I want to explain part of how our pub test is.
Speaker 1: Going to work.
Speaker 3: Right, we're a little way out from an election, so the year there's going to be questions about what will go here and how much of this cost and all the rest. But also people want the opportunity to ask you questions to get better know the person. This of course will be the section that they will write about in The Guardian tomorrow. But still let's find out from Jane Jane a question for Peter Dutton here tonight on Paul Murray Love.
Speaker 4: Hi, mister.
Speaker 14: Have you ever been given advice that has added to your successful career?
Speaker 4: Have I ever been given advice?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 7: And for all the kids out there watching tonight, listen to your mother and father.
Speaker 4: They're very wise and the advice that they give to you.
Speaker 7: I think the most important thing that I learned, particularly from a young age, was just a work ethic, good manners and respect for people who are older than you. And I always believe if people work hard, they're polite. I think doors open and opportunities present. So I think that was probably early on at a very basic level. I'm in John Howard has been a mentor of mine for almost twenty five years, and I catch up with him regularly and bounce ideas off him, and I had a great deal of respect for him when he was in the Parliament and the way that he's conducted himself since he's left. And there are other role models that I've had and other people whose views I really take the heart when they send me a text and say well done, or why did you say that?
Speaker 3: So what about You know, inevitably, as a politician, you'll always have somebody who'll say, mate, if you just do this, it'll all falled in together. Are there people who say tie? No tie, jacket, no jacket, change the.
Speaker 1: Color and the glasses? What? How silly? Can some of the advice be?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 7: I remember one of my mates said to me, but you look so much better with longer hair. I said, look for you know, ball, this is not sort of a choice that that I've.
Speaker 4: Made in life.
Speaker 7: And but yeah, and he was telling the truth, but just didn't accord with how I could address it.
Speaker 4: But I know there's a bit of debate about that.
Speaker 7: But I just don't have much interest in id test, going clothes shopping and normally carely or bring something back or the kids will buy tie something like that, or I do one shop a year and that's about it. So I don't take too much of that seriously. And but yes, I mean they're all, you know, all sorts of free advice. And generally what happens is particularly on an issue, and you'll get, you know, flurry of message messages from mates and some will be saying you know, go go black, some will say go white, And in the end you've got to make the call yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, if it's for me, it's just bet On Red to go go and see what happens. Now. Also, what I'm interested.
Speaker 3: In is that you were very out early on the job summer when you went no, I'm not turning up to that, right.
Speaker 1: We know where you were on the voice.
Speaker 3: We know where we are when it comes to nuclear and I've been somebody who again can get quite lost in the data and the reads and go on, what about here and there and all this demographic and you know, when you're trying to work out whether the country has how much the country has changed forever versus how much it was just a choice they made one way or the other.
Speaker 1: Matt Canavan spoke to me once when I.
Speaker 3: Was emin extolling the virtues about well but what about this seat and what about that seat? And it says will make you either believe in something and you're back it all the way, or you can stand for nothing.
Speaker 1: Trying to triangulate yourself. It's pretty obvious that again.
Speaker 3: As you say, when people like John Howard or your mentor that if you pick a north star, you pick the north star. How do you know the difference between conviction and pigheadedness? Sometimes though about No, I've set the course and that's the way.
Speaker 1: We're going to go.
Speaker 7: Look, I think there's some natural instinct or ability that people have in you know, leadership positions, and I think a part of it is, you know, it is part of the trade and that you've learned and you've seen the mistakes that have been made. I always say the good prime ministers, and I've worked closely with four of them, and I've watched the others on the other side, that you know that there are issues that just get fired at you every day, and it's obviously a difficult job. But the good prime ministers, out of the twenty balls that they've got the air, you know, land fifteen by lunchtime and they sweat a few and there's one by the end of the day that really is you know, a torture. The bad prime Minister's got forty balls in the air by Tuesday. And I think unless you've got the instinct and unless you have an understanding of you know, I think there's a moral compass in it as well. You know, the difference between right and wrong, and if you get it wrong then you need to fess up and be honest about that. And I think people accept that you're human and you make mistakes, but they also want to know that when you have conviction and when you state a position, that you've made that decision and that statement for the right reasons and that you will argue on their behalf if they feel that you've made the right decision, and I think they take comfort from that.
Speaker 3: So the bad Prome ministers have got forty balls in the air. Has Albo got an entire rebel sport franchise.
Speaker 1: In the air right now?
Speaker 3: Like he's got every He's got cricket bats in the air. He has got it all up there at the moment, Christian has got a question for you mate. Thank you for asking this.
Speaker 1: Dunton, thank you for your strength.
Speaker 7: How did the Voice referendum change political campaign in Australia and what did the coalition team learn from how.
Speaker 15: Well?
Speaker 4: Christian?
Speaker 7: I think had the Voice been successful, we would have been in a hell of a mess as a country right now because the legislation would be before the Parliament all of a sudden. That would have dawned on the Prime Minister with the legal advice that actually this does have application to education policy and we do need to check with the Voice on what's happening with this road infrastructure or this development or whatever it might be. And so the debate would have been I think it would have given rise to a really angry reaction from the public, and rightly so, because people would have felt deceived. And to this day the Prime Minister hasn't been honest with the Australian people about the Voice, about the true extent of its application. He's put money in the budget for the Macarateate Commission that says to the Indigenous community, behind closed doors, it'll all be good. Macaratatei Commission will be there after the election. And then when we're getting into question time he says, I've never heard of macaratic.
Speaker 4: I don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: So what is it?
Speaker 4: What is it taught us?
Speaker 7: I think it has taught us to listen to the silent majority and to understand what is in our country's best interest and recognize that even if people are urging you to sit on the sidelines and not take a position, that ultimately you are right and justified and take a position that you think is in our country's best interest. When we took a position on the Voice, I forget the exact numbers now, but it was something like sixty forty in favor, and by the end of it was sixty forty against.
Speaker 4: And if you've got to coherent argument and you.
Speaker 7: Can communicate that, and you know, people were wavering in some parts of the country and we were able to win them across with some of the arguments. And I think your conviction is important and I think that's what demons, that's what was demonstrated through the Voice.
Speaker 3: Good on your Christian Thank you made appreciate it plenty more here with Peter.
Speaker 2: Dunn't live on for all Moray live in Brisbane.
Speaker 1: We're coming back doing a publicist tonight. Good to see your mate, however you're well for in a second. We are here at Aintel.
Speaker 3: Hotel, which is in Brisbane and it is a spectacular place to be. I don't want to thank everyone involved behind the scenes here and also everyone who's here to ask questions of Peter Dunton. Thanks for giving you some time tonight, mate. I know there's plenty of time with the family that you miss out on. So thank you for giving us a little bit of it here. The whole point of this again, ask some questions about the news. Ask some questions trying to better understand the block you see on the news all the time. I'll have a couple of questions as well. But we've got to Lachlan who wants to ask you a question. And yes, Lachlan is beneath voting age, but is a man who's got a question.
Speaker 1: On the behalf of people like you.
Speaker 15: Go for it mate, right, Harvest Duddon. My question is that if promised, you've intro so you have promised to introduce a band on social media for children under sixteen if you're elected. So how do we ensure that these children can't access social media platforms?
Speaker 7: Well, Laklan, a couple of ways. I mean, you can do it through the hardware, so you can work with the companies and you can take that option. You can also look at software. You can provide operating system verification. So there are technologies now obviously as we know with the iPhone where there's a facial ID and there's the ability for technology to be able to be adopted. Now, will some people be able to get around it, yes, but I just don't think you should let the perfect be the enemy of the good. And when I see the impact now on young people and you see the pervasive nature of social media, the companies frankly don't have any regard for the social wellbeing of Australian twelve and fourteen year old kids and the adult content that they're receiving on line and being indoctrinated with, and the graphic nature of some of what is being shared, the grooming that takes place through social media. I just don't think we can ignore it and pretend that everything's okay in their world because it's not. And I think we have a responsibility to provide a safe environment. There's no way in the world you would allow your kids to go down to the local park without supervision at eight or twelve years of age, or to pick up pornography books off the table or something like that. And why do we allow them to engage in that environment online?
Speaker 1: Lockie, can I ask you a question?
Speaker 3: Firstly that you may have their nicknames also, Lachlan, sorry, what do your mates say when they hear stuff in the news about teenagers and social media and Canberra making a decision.
Speaker 1: Are they annoyed? Did the concept?
Speaker 3: Do they get that there's a problem, do they want someone to step in?
Speaker 1: What are they about?
Speaker 15: Yeah, well, some of my friends that are more political, they understand that it's a big problem. But the majority of them are just addicted to kind of social media. They can't go five minutes in class without getting offered, and it's just affecting their school work. And they are a bit annoyed at this decision. But I personally think it's for the best.
Speaker 1: So super dumb question from me.
Speaker 3: I think literally sitting in class, books up and checking things.
Speaker 15: Some of them not even books up, they just hide in the back phone in front of the laptop, and some of them just plan out in front of the teachers have just given up.
Speaker 4: Sometimes.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's incredible, Thank you mate, appreciate it, and this question as well. Right, two problems, Right, the kids aren't all right at the moment, and we know that for a whole collection of reasons which are fixable, not fixable, more money, all the rest of it. Right, But then there's the other question, which is the education system right now? Obviously it would be your intent, like everyone in the room, everyone watching and even people who wouldn't think like us that we want the bet possible system.
Speaker 1: We've sent so much money at this and it keeps going down.
Speaker 3: What efforts will you put in between now and the election to try and to come up with a way of turning this around because we spend more money for worse results.
Speaker 7: I think there's an opportunity here in Queensland to be honest, and I think it'll be a good case study and a contrast to what's happening perhaps in Victoria under the Allen government there, to see what an incoming education minister can do, to review the curriculum, to look at what's being taught to kids, the indoctrination that takes place, and the politicization of the classroom by some teachers as well. And I think parents will always have the primary responsibility, but nonetheless, when we send our kids to school, we expect them to receive an education, not an indoctrination.
Speaker 4: And good point there is.
Speaker 7: I think there's a lot that can be done very quickly here in queens particularly because there's no Upper House and they can pass legislation.
Speaker 4: As as is required for the betterment of queens and kids.
Speaker 1: Good stuff all right, Nicole is here.
Speaker 3: It's not about my questions, it's about people like hers, That's all right.
Speaker 5: The Australian public are sick of being lied to by politicians trying to get into office.
Speaker 1: My question is when, not if you become prime minister, how getting getting me? How will you keep.
Speaker 2: Your ministers and yourself accountable to the promises.
Speaker 4: That you make?
Speaker 1: Great questions?
Speaker 4: What's really good.
Speaker 1: It is?
Speaker 7: It is a great question, and you can understand why people feel dispirited and angry because they put their faith in somebody who has broken a promise, and in some cases deliberately. So again, I think you need to be honest with people and you need to make commitments based on fact and at the moment.
Speaker 4: One of the things that Tony.
Speaker 7: It taught us very well was to, particularly in opposition, use the time sensibly and productively to work out policy so that when you get into government you've got an agenda that you can deliver on. And I think part of the problem for Anthony Orbinezi is that he was elected because he wasn't Scott Morrison. I think a lot of people, rightly or wrongly, you can have your view on that, but that's what happened, and it means that the government has no purpose or narrative and they make half promises can't deliver on them. They made up commitments in opposition that weren't properly researched or thought through, and that's why they're having difficulty in rolling out their agenda. So I think if you've got good intent, you've got a good basis on which you're promising. If the circumstances change and there's some sort of global incident, an avian bird flu or a shock to the economy and you can't deliver on a particular program, I think people get that if it's properly explained.
Speaker 4: But ministers will be held to account and they.
Speaker 7: Won't be making and promises unless they genuinely believe that they can carry through on the commitment. And breaking that trust with the Australian public can be catastrophic in the relationship that you have with them. And if you don't take that seriously, well you voted out in three years time.
Speaker 1: Good stuff, Thank you, Nicola.
Speaker 3: Let's get to a speed around now, Donna, then Johannes, and then well we'll keep going. All right, let's go Donna, wats your question for Peter Dubn't.
Speaker 14: Peter Dutton thank you so much for being here. Yes, definitely you four PM and Paul.
Speaker 1: And I love you. Fingernauts, I love you, I love you.
Speaker 4: Tell my boss he doesn't like them anyway.
Speaker 14: Okay, So how did abortion become part of the Queen's and election campaign even though it was never a point of discussion for the LMP. I know a few people who have now changed their minds purely based on labor misinformation.
Speaker 7: Well, I think what people have seen over the last couple of weeks on this debate is the labor campaign machine in full burst. And what do you do when you don't want people talking about your record? What do you do if you seven miles you can't talk about achievements and outcomes and the betterment of Queensland over the course of his term as premier and his deputy premier. Well you say, look over here and here's a distraction, And that's exactly what they've done. It was as we saw with the Many Scared debate that Bill Shorten ran. It wasn't based on any factor at all, but particularly older people in that example, were tricked into believing that Many Care was going to be abolished.
Speaker 4: Or sold to some nonsense.
Speaker 7: And people are vulnerable because they hear a leader telling them something and they believe it and they act on it. And there will be people at Label will win over through this lie and the dev's campaign and the spurious campaign that they've run.
Speaker 4: But I think most people see through it.
Speaker 7: Most people understand that Stephen Miles has done nothing more than tried to create a giant distraction away from his own failings.
Speaker 3: Take my editorial from tonight, post it and send it as far and wide. Thank you, don I love those finger nails, Johannah, so you've got the last question of the night made.
Speaker 1: Before we let Peter up and go great, shapeful, even better? Or miss Donne, thank you if you love your shirt? Can't queen friend? Where do you think Australia will be if I big get another two? So much love, so much love in the room.
Speaker 7: Look, I think a lot of people are hanging on by their fingernails at the moment. I think there are a lot of families who really are you know, They've got an extra job they're doing over time and they can barely scratch together enough money to pay for their insurance premium or pay for another increase on their electricity bills. And I think people are desperately hoping for interest rates to come down. We see the IMF out today saying that Australia is behind the pack. All of our comparable nations have much lower inflation than we do, and so interest rates are going to stay for longer here. They've already started to come down in the US, UK, Canada and New Zealand, and they should have already started to come down here.
Speaker 4: So what would three more years.
Speaker 7: Look like it to be compounding of that grief and for a lot of families and a lot of small businesses who are barely keeping the doors open at the moment, it's going to be what we saw under Goff Whitlam and what we saw under Paul Keating.
Speaker 4: It is a very difficult.
Speaker 7: Time and I don't think we should understate it, and I think we would very quickly see a change of Prime minister.
Speaker 4: I think Jim Chalmers is biting it the bit at the moment.
Speaker 7: Tanya Plebus xc's herself as the next alternative. Tony Burke's out there and so bad? How bad do you want me to paint it? To take any of those scenarios.
Speaker 1: But in better.
Speaker 7: News, the Commiskey's pub here at Eaton Seal will still be open.
Speaker 1: They serve a great stake. And where are they?
Speaker 4: Where are some good news?
Speaker 1: Love you guys, great part at the back. So it is a great good man. Thank you very much, Thank you, Thank you Peter Dutton, thanks to his arm. Keep up the good time. Good on you mate.
Speaker 2: More here from the Dingel Hotel, shout out to its owner.
Speaker 1: Morenitcheck you the two boats from Queensland. You know what's going to happen at the election text.
Speaker 2: Thanks welcome back here to Eating Seal in the Edenhell Hotel.
Speaker 1: To be here, come him and know me and see him on the telly all the time. I well see him with my own eyes.
Speaker 4: And the wonderful Chris.
Speaker 3: Jones, because the editor of the Courier mail lads, let's talk about Queens and queens An election.
Speaker 1: Let's get hardcore. Let's count the number of grains of sand all the rest of it. Here.
Speaker 3: Cam and I have banged on a lot about the abortion lie, and in part because it's working. Right, do you think that it's working enough to deny majority government for the LNP or we're talking about the size of it.
Speaker 1: I'd say two things.
Speaker 6: I think it works in terms of labor locking up and locking away the Greens.
Speaker 1: So the abortion she's worked in.
Speaker 6: A Brisbane, I don't think it's worked where cost of living cuts cost of living. That's been the burbs, the outer suburbs, the regional cities. People got lots of other issues that abortion deal with. But as I've spoken Chris's paper to day, I don't think there's any place in queens and politics. I think there's US vile politics and.
Speaker 4: We should have ever had abortion brought in.
Speaker 1: There's Queens election.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, one hundred percent and that again right, we know why they're doing it right, and it's effective to a certain point. But literally again, a maid of mine who's all in sending me texts every single day about Queensland politics. His partner just went, oh that must be true. If it's on a sign, you couldn't possibly print a lie. So again the same question about whether you think that denies the majority or it's the size.
Speaker 1: Of Well, firstly, welcome back to Queensland. I've to be here. Find out a way to get me those blood friends. We can't wait for it.
Speaker 4: Actually move here.
Speaker 1: You don't wait to a time. But broad Ridges all fine, baby. I think one of them.
Speaker 9: I think one of the big moments in the campaign was the day that our reporters grilled both leaders on will you legislate if you win to bring in truth in political advertising?
Speaker 1: Good point. Let me guess what they said.
Speaker 9: Well, David chris a fully was open to it, and Stephen Miles said, well, I'm not aware of anywhere in the world where it works, to which the reporter said, it's been the case for several decades in South Australia. Yeah, and it works very well. Correct, correct, And he said get him next.
Speaker 1: Ye. And that's the whole point.
Speaker 9: Right, And you can see this is that this is what State Labour's done. You know they the last campaign, remember there was still the I forgot my number, but ten they're going to sack tens of thousands of public servants, still doing the camel Newman scare capital again it was totally made up, but there were billboards of stating as fact.
Speaker 4: This is the next example of that.
Speaker 9: And you know this is, as you said in the editorial, this is the way that State Labor goes about it. And camera makes a really good point. This is beyond the pale the abortion one. Look, fight the issues around cuts or many scare or whatever, but bringing abortions into this campaign has been pretty disgusting.
Speaker 3: Okay, so again, let's let's talk about the OLYMPA needs twelve seats to claim a majority. Cameron, do you think they can climb that hill? As I was explaining on the show last night, ten seats sort of outside of the Sunny Coast in and up are up for grabs. Then the Sunny Coast has been traditionally LMP. There's two seats there, the closer to Bruceban, the heart of the task becomes. But in that first ten seats are like eight percent seats. So give us an idea of how tall that hell is?
Speaker 4: Well, Queensland swing's heart.
Speaker 6: Traditionally there's big swings in I Love you swing in Queenslane.
Speaker 2: You'll walk into the voting booth, you throw your keys in the ball and you see what happens.
Speaker 1: God love this city, God love this steak. You know, God love You've got the shag carp and let's go.
Speaker 3: For a swing.
Speaker 1: I love it anyway, Sorry, but late.
Speaker 6: Moment, no, no, but is to hold the regional cities as well as the Brisbane city. And I think this time around these they've lost the regional cities, towns or three seats are gone, Cans three to four seats are gone. Okai has at the premium there three times. We have lost that one hundred years. So I think what's happening is the regional city are going. Brisbane might hold because the green preferences will hold for labor, but outside Brisbane it's very bad for labor.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Again, I don't want to say the number, but the hill decline. What do you think?
Speaker 9: Yeah, Look, I think the big challenge for labor is that they are distracted by fighting the greens in the inner city, the inner suburbs. They're worried about the old Brisbane Central, the old Ashgrove, these really inner city seats green slopes, and they've forgotten that half of Queensland lives in the regions and that the majority of Queensland live outside of those inner suburbs where they think that it's being fort I think it's a long term challenge for state labor in terms of what will happen.
Speaker 4: Look, I think.
Speaker 9: Once you can what's where the premier has been through the campaign is always a good indicator of what they're worried about. He has been on loop in his campaign, jet to Townshill, obligatory, Rock Hampton, Mackay.
Speaker 4: And then you know your Harvey Bays and someone.
Speaker 9: But if you're going to Rock Campton and MacKaye, as Cameron just said, and you're a Labor Party leader in Queensland, you're in trouble because those seats are usually a lock and MacKaye has been a lock literally forever.
Speaker 3: So given what you said before, Cameron about how Queensland swings, all right, we know inevitably smart Alex who have to fill time on Saturday and others are going to turn around say well what does this mean for federal this and what does it.
Speaker 1: Mean before the election.
Speaker 3: Does the election mean anything about Queensland and Labor for a federal election next year?
Speaker 1: Let's get this in early.
Speaker 6: Well, queens A vote seventy thirty against the Voice, the strongest state against Albaneze's Voice, so they already start from that base. Labor holds five of the thirty federal seats, so we're hardly a Queensland labor state federally. And the idea that Albany is going to pick up a swagger seats top set. All the losses around the rest of Australia is fairy dust. It's not going to happen. He's not going to get like Art, He's not going to get in the Longman's of the world. So so federal Labor has a problem in Queensland because stemically where it's such a small number now compared to what we used to be under rut.
Speaker 3: I've only got a couple of seconds, So the bumper sticker version question.
Speaker 9: Look, they're not going to win any more seats in Queensland. I don't think they're talking about like Art and Brisbane and Longman. But you know, if you've only got five seats in the state, you're talking about two or three, you're probably in a bit of trouble.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just thank you very much. Let's give him a rand applause. I do appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much for the good people of the aging Field Hotel.
Speaker 1: We love being here. That's our show tonight.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much for watching.
Speaker 1: Thank you Queensland.
Speaker 12: Bye b.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow, Tadda, the lights.
Speaker 2: The ladies up next, Yarance going you see.
Speaker 4: Thank you mate.
Speaker 1: Excellent. Thank you, The can