Speaker 1: This is the Media Show with joanouting, Hello and welcome to the Media Show. I'm Color Bond filling in for Jack harton this week Big Show Ahead. As the ABC's reputation is in tatters after bombshell allegations it doctored footage to make it look like war crimes were committed in Afghanistan, and the outgoing nine CEO finally speaks after his shock resignation. Now we saw this week the second dice with death Donald Trump has had in just a few months. As I'm sure you know, the forty fifth President of the United States, who of course wants to be the forty seventh president, was playing around of golf at his course in West Palm Beach in Florida on Sunday afternoon when the Secret Service found a man harding in the bushes four hundred meters away from Trump with an AK forty seven style assault rifle. They fired multiple rounds at Ryan Ralph before he fled the scene, and he was eventually stopped and arrested about seventy two kilometers away. After being shot in year in Butler, Pennsylvania a little more than two months ago, he was another man who appeared to be ready to assassinate the Republican presidential candidate. And you'd think after last time that the media would be smart enough to tone down the anti Trump rhetoric. The bloke nearly got shot again, But no, the leftist media in the US in this case, the MSNBC was saying it was Trump who needed to tone down the rhetoric.
Speaker 2: But do you expect to hear anything from the Trump campaign about toning down the rhetoric, toning down the violence, or would that be atypical of the former president.
Speaker 3: Well, Alex remember back to the assassination attempt on President Trump's life, and how you know, there was talk of a new tone, and then the Republican Convention was, by Trumpian standards, muted, and it did seem like he was just trying to take it down a few nches. But then by the end of his convention speech, you know, we were kind of back to where we started.
Speaker 1: I mean, they're effectively victim blaming. He came within four hundred meters of a lunaty hidden in the bushes with an assault rifle, and it's apparently his job to calm things down. Here are a few more examples of the media shifting the blame to Trump for someone apparently wanting to shoot him.
Speaker 2: Donald Trump is blaming Democrats for inflaming political rhetoric, but the former president's own words seem to be increasing the threat of political violence in Springfield, Ohio. That's where a false and ugly accusation against Haitians, thousands of whom our legal permanent residents, is impacting everyday life as a.
Speaker 4: Parent assassination attempt comes amid increasingly fierce rhetoric on the campaign trail itself. Mister Trump is running made jd Vance continue to make baseless claims about Haitian immigrants in Ohio.
Speaker 5: You can't say that threat's bomb threats on Springfield, Ohio schools and hospitals have nothing to do with Trump and the Trump campaign. You can't say Trump has no responsibility for an attack on Paul Pelosi, no responsibility for Jan six, no responsibility for threats against election workers, no responsibility for threats against doctor Fauci and health administrators. I mean, the list goes on and on and on. So the calls to tone down are good, but they need to come from inside the house.
Speaker 1: I mean, for heaven's sake, and the post mortem continued in print, with the leftist media rubbishing the idea that inflammatory rhetoric against Trump might incite someone to want to kill him. NBC online quote, Trump dispenses with unity and blames Democrats after apparent second assassination attempt. The Washington Post quote, Trump, without evidence blames rhetoric of Biden Harris for possible assassination attempt. MSNBC online quote the problems with Trump blaming Dems for apparent assassination attempt. USA Today quote after possible assassination attempt, Trump decries sorry rhetoric, Spare me the sanctimony. USA Today again quote Trump fundraises, blames Biden and Harris without evidence in aftermath of second assassination attempt. Here in Australia, The Sydney Morning Herald quote without evidence, Trump blames Biden and Harris for apparent assassination attempt. Seeing INN online quote headline, Trump pivots from second to parent assassination attempt to more incendiury claims lead. Ex President Donald Trump responded to a second apparent assassination attempt that he blames on incendury political rhetoric by inflaming the situation even more. The Atlantic quote Donald Trump is using another possible attempt on his life to inflame tensions in America, which which is one more reason he should never be president again. The Los Angeles Times quote Trump assassination attempts are just the beginning. Imagine what is coming after the election. It then goes on to say in the article, if Vice President Kamala Harris wins the election in November, there is serious concern over violence waged by Trump supporters who may believe that the election was rigged or stolen. It continues. If Trump is elected, many expect a visceral reaction from segments of the far left, including some who may resort to violence. May is doing some heavy lifting there, but after a brief charting of the left, it goes on, Trump's election could also embolden any followers prone to violence, which could feel more terrorism against immigrants, people of color, women, LGBTQ plus people and others. How can the media possibly claim that there is no evidence that the rhetoric of Biden and Harris could encourage assassinate attempts against Trump. They have both repeatedly caught him a threat to democracy. Biden said he should be put in a bullseye I mean, if you think he is a threat to the very fabric of the governance of the United States, then why wouldn't you want to have the man killed? And Rachel Maddower had Hillary Clinton on MSNBC the next day to say that Trump was a demagogue and a threat to the world.
Speaker 6: You know, journalists should, you know, really try to achieve objectivity and by that he said, I mean they should cover the object. Well, the object in this case is Donald Trump, his demagoguery, his danger to our country and the world, and stick with it. You know, they were merciless about what they saw as President Biden's problems in the debate.
Speaker 1: They never learn, But I think the point is that they don't want to learn, because it's deliberate. They would rather see Trump dead than in office again, so why would they turn down the retric Joining me on the show this week is The Australian's media writers Sophie Ellsworth and writer and broadcaster Kel Richards. Kel. You know, it's just so egregious the examples from the American media. I could have gone on. That's only a handful of the examples that I managed to scrounge up this week, but that the leftist media in America wants the man dead, it would seem, and will do everything to shift the blame for people wanting to kill him.
Speaker 7: Ninety percent of the American media have decided on their candidate they want elected to the White House, and everything, every single journalistic value has been thrown out the window in order to pursue their campaign to get Krmala Harrison too the White House. The things we we're hearing more bizarre. On Wolf Blitzer's program on SO, a woman wanted to blame Trump for the attack on Nancy Pelosi's husban. Now, a that's without evidence. If you want to talk about things with that, There's no evidence for that at all. It was a madman who did that. There's never been any suggestion that had anything to do with Trump, except now suddenly we want to blame Trump for everything, including things in the past. And you quoted that line, which is the most important line. That was three or four of them newspaper lines you quoted without evidence, without evidence. I'll give you the evidence. The ipsuma verba of Joe Biden he is a threat to democracy, was quoted word for word by Ryan Ralf and his post online. So Ryan Ralph the alleged attempted assassin, quoted Joe Briden word for word, this is why he has to be assassinated. I mean, why can't they see the evidence in front of their eyes?
Speaker 1: Oh? Well, I think they can see the evidence, Kelbert. The point, Sophie is that they're just deliberately ignoring the evidence in front of them to achieve an ends. And surely, when you're reporting on something like this, you know, we are talking about twice in just over two months that someone has attempted to or appeared to attempt to kill the former president of the United States. Surely the media in the US and more broadly has a responsibility to tone things down a bit to try to prevent these things from happening. It almost seems like they're encouraging it.
Speaker 8: Well, Caleb, I think these journalists, suppose the journalists need to be careful and cautious in the language they use. Some of those clips that you have shown there to the viewers appear to be more along the opinion articles than straight news reports, and they need to work out are they giving a straight news report or are they trying to give a straight news report but really making an opinion article. And this is where I think the public loses trust in the media because it's badged up as news, but it's not really news. I can almost turn into propaganda.
Speaker 1: And it all contributes to the polarization of America. And it is the polarization of America that has led to things like this. I mean, if you are at a point where you genuinely think that a democratically chosen candidate, Trump was chosen democratically by the members of the Republican Party to be their candidate. If you think a democratically chosen candidate running in a democratic election is somehow a threat to democracy, then you may have a small problem. But it's those thoughts that lead to people wanting to kill him, and the media has done nothing to change that. Just while we're on the foiled assassination attempt of Trump, I was amused to tune into our equivalent of this program on the ABC this week, Media Watch, and see not a single mention of the assassination attempt or the media's reaction to it. I mean, it's only one of the biggest stories in the world this week. Now, I will concede that we go to war on Frey and Media Watch goes to air on Monday, so we have had a little more of a run up on this yarn. But it all started at about three point thirty am Sydney time on Monday, and the story was well and truly breaking while the time I woke up to the radio on Monday morning, and yes, I'm so plugged into the news that I leave the radio on all night. But Media Watch goes to air at about nine point thirty PM, so you'd have thought that they'd have enough time to cover the media's reaction to this massive story. They had the tenth anniversary of William Tyrell's disappearance being exploited for ratings, the inaccurate reporting of drug overdoses, and the resignation of nine boss Mike Sneezeby.
Speaker 9: We asked ten if it was guilty of exploiting the Tyrrell story for ratings that had ignored the question, with the State Ambulance Service confirming that one of the emergency callouts reported as a drug overdose was actually for a patient who had swallowed a coin, and finally another one bites the dust.
Speaker 10: O Weells Sneezeby after three billion dollar share slide.
Speaker 1: All worthy stories, but they reserve their coverage of the US for the opportunity to chard Trapp for talking about dogs and cats being eaten in Ohio, and completely ignored that someone was stationed with an assault rifle at his golf course that very day.
Speaker 9: So, in summary, Donald Trump's dramatic claim they're eating.
Speaker 4: The dogs, the people that came in, they're eating the.
Speaker 9: Cats appears to be a cocktail of hearsay, scuttlebutt, and Race's resentment over Haitian migrants, all aided and abtted by Trump's running mate jd Vance, who, when confronted on NBC over the debunk claims, simply double down.
Speaker 3: I hear you saying that they're baseless, but I'm not repeating them because I invented them.
Speaker 1: Out of thin air.
Speaker 3: I'm repeating them because my constituents are saying these things are happening.
Speaker 9: So it's left the town of Springfield dealing with the ugly fallout, which includes bomb threats, two hospitals put into lockdown, on local schools evacuated, the real world consequences of fake news amplified on the world stage.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's just extraordinary, Gell. You know, the top one of the top media programs in the country goes to air on the day that someone has attempted to kill the president, and there is not a single mention of the biggest story in the world.
Speaker 7: Putting it into context before this year, there was an attempted assassination on Ronald Reagan in nineteen eighty one. Then there was our forty.
Speaker 1: Three year gap, and then two and two months.
Speaker 7: Now, after a forty three year gap, you think they think, oh, this is a big story, but I've got to cover this.
Speaker 10: I suspect the.
Speaker 7: Problem is, and we have to be sympathetic. They clearly need more staff. They've only got about fifteen minutes, so they clearly need more people working on the program.
Speaker 1: Don't give them ideas, gel they're already spending enough of our money. We'll take a quick break when we're back the ABC again in more hot water allegations adopted footage of alleged war crimes don't go away. Now, this has to be one of the worst cases of fabricating a story that I have ever seen in my career. No doubt you heard this week about former commando Heston Russell and how the ABC falsified footage to make it look like war crimes had been committed in Afghanistan, and this was exposed by seven Spotlight last weekend. We start with Star ABC journalist Mark Willersey explaining the footage showed in his seven thirty report.
Speaker 9: We don't have the vision that comes immediately before this, but this Australian soldier is firing towards what appear to be unarmed.
Speaker 4: Civilians in residential compounds.
Speaker 1: And here's mister Russell explaining the footage after.
Speaker 6: The warning shot.
Speaker 9: This insurgent has run into a compound and the drone has witnessed him bend over and.
Speaker 1: Pick up something.
Speaker 9: He's picked up something that looks like a weapon.
Speaker 1: And you'll hear me telling my soldier shoot him, shoot him.
Speaker 9: We listen closely, you'll hear that.
Speaker 8: Then you'll see that's the footage of my guy shooting at him in the compound.
Speaker 1: There's any one problem though, The footage the ABC has shown has six gunshots at the beginning instead of one warning shot.
Speaker 10: The version of events told by the ABC's Mark Willison, which starts with six rounds of firing then a single warning shot becomes six.
Speaker 1: For me, it appears some of they've literally added extra gunshots. I mean that is fake news, plain and simple. It is a fabricated story, a docted piece of footage to make it look like Australian soldiers were unduly firing at unarmed Afghan civilians. The ABC has denied that mister Willisey or anyone else involved in the editorial side of things, was involved in or aware of the doctored footage. ABC News director Justin Stevens addressed this with our own Sophie Ellsworth on Tuesday at the Melbourne Press Club, where he took exception to the allegation the footage had been doctored. He said, you use the word doctor, which is an extremely high allegation to make of any journalist, that a journalist would falsify information for their own journalistic game. Well, when you replace one gun shot with six to make the situation look worse and in fur that war crimes have occurred, then yes, I would say the footage has been docted. He continued. I think we need to in the first instance, exhaustively get to the bottom of what's happened. As I said, we will be upfront and transparent at the appropriate time in coming days as to what happened Now the ABC's understanding of coming days may be different to mine, but we're now at the end of the week and I'm yet to see an explanation. When mister Stevens was asked if he'd make an apology to mister Russell, he said he was not going to preempt that. I'm not sure what there is to preempt. The footage was edited and the ABC has admitted it shouldn't have happened. An apology was due at that point. Mister Russell has written to ABC Chairman Kim Williams, but so far to no avail.
Speaker 5: The ABC needs to sit down, go through due process. Breached out to Kim Williams, the head, the new chair of the ABC, and asked to meet with him and go through this because it is a shocking scandal and they can't weasele their way out of it now.
Speaker 1: The least he is owed is a response. He already successfully sued the ABC for defamation after reports by mister Willisey on four Corners implied he was involved in war crimes. He was awarded four hundred thousand dollars in damages plus legal costs, and those reports stemmed from a US marine telling mister Willasey that he had heard, not seen, the execution of a prisoner in Afghanistan. The marine even told mister Willasey that his memory was hazy, and yet the fake story was published and mister Russell was defamed. You'd think, in the shadow of that that the ABC would just roll over, admit defeat and apologize profusely, but they seem intent on digging their heels in again. Mister Russell hasn't ruled out launching new legal action now on the matter of the doctored footage having nothing to do with mister Willersey or the editorial team and instead being an editing error. I will say this, The ABC, as I said before, denies that mister Willersey or the editorial team had any knowledge or involvement in the editing of the footage, and if that's the case, it is an egregious abrogation of journalistic responsibility. I've worked in the media for the better part of a decade. Most of that is a reporter. If you are publishing a Cracker exclusive, a story that alleges war crimes or misconduct by soldiers, you dot every eye and cross every te fifteen times before you let that story be printed or go to air. If you worked in TV, as mister Willisey does, you ought to watch the finished product over and over and over again to be one hundred percent satisfied that you are publishing a water tight yarn. You're not just suggesting some blog didn't pay his speeding fine. You are alleging war crimes. Now. Mister Willisey may well not have been involved in or aware of the fact the footage had been edited, but we should ask why didn't he know that footage was docted, Sophie. Of course, you've been covering this story all week. It is just extraordinary the way the ABC has for the most part, not taken much responsibility for this.
Speaker 8: Well, no answers to as to what has happened, Caleb, And it was quite curious that Justin Stevens, the ABC News director, decided to pull me up on my language when I described it as doctoring the audio. I don't know how else you could describe it. There's a difference there between six shots and one shot. And it's pretty clear somewhere in the food chain at the ABC when this broadcast went to air, there was a problem with it. So they have an enormous issue on their hands. Michelle Roland, the Communications Minister, wants answers on this, and I can't imagine many people up in the top tiers at the ABC would be too thrilled about this shocking published city that tarnishes their reputation.
Speaker 1: I just can't understand kel how something like this could happen one shot being turned into six without someone somewhere in the ABC making it happen. It just seems very strange.
Speaker 7: Well, for years I worked at the ABC in Television Current Affairs as a senior reporter. I've sat in editing suites. I have done this, I've made these stories editors. The people who did the technical stuff don't do it on their own. They sit beside a reporter or beside a producer who directs what they are doing. So, I, like you, I don't understand how a producer or a reporter sitting beside the editor saying on that helmet cam footage is only one shot, add five shots more. They can't be in there unless someone said add five shots more. The person who's the technician doing the technical editing doesn't do that. It's the reporter or the producer who sits there saying that's what you do.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 7: I know I've been there, I've sat in the editing suites, I've done that. I cannot see. I cannot understand how that's a mistake or an error. There has to be some sort of conscious, intentional decision by someone at some point to say, yes, let's dub in five more shots exactly.
Speaker 1: And of course, as I said before, the ABC denis that mister Willisy or anyone involved in the editorial team had any knowledge. But we want to know who did, who made it happen, and if so, how did it happen. Well, I did say earlier that if the story changes and you've already recorded your show, well tough luck. You have to come back in and record. And so that's what I've done, even though I'm in a different city and clearly in a different suit. I hope our friends at Media Watch take notes.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 1: Late this afternoon, after we had already recorded the Media show, the ABC's managing director David Anderson issued a written statement in which he admitted that the ABC was worn two years ago about the doctor footage we just discussed, but somehow that never made its way to the news department. Mister Anderson said that a letter had been sent to the ABC's lead department in November twenty twenty two, quote raising concerns about the audio editing, but it was never sent to the news bosses. He again said of the doctor footage that this era should not have occurred, but there has still been no apology to mister Russell for that. Mister Anderson said that he was quote now commissioning an independent review of the issues that have been raised with the online and broadcast story to fully understand what has occurred and make any necessary recommendations. This review must get to the bottom of how this happened, and it must address the questions we asked a few minutes ago, particularly how the changing of one shot to six shots was able to get past the reporter Mark Willersey. As the ABC has said, so there you have it, the full story. It took an extra effort, but that's how important journalism is to me. Let's hope the ABC considers accuracy and contemporaneousness important in the future. By thanks to my panelist Sophie Ellsworth and Killed Richards for their thoughts earlier. The Media Show will be back next Friday at the same time,