Speaker 1: Good morning everyone, and welcome back to Sugar Mama's Fireplay, the one stop destination where you get your financial education, financial motivation, and financial inspiration to start seeing your financial goals and dreams unfold.
Speaker 2: In front of you.
Speaker 1: This morning, we are joined by annabel Annabel is the single mother who is actually winning the game. She is achieving her financial goals with no one helping her, and she's a brilliant source of financial education, inspiration and motivation herself. And she shares with us the importance of having a positive mindset and dreaming big when it comes to your financial goals. So sit back, relax, and get ready to hear this incredible story. Now, before we begin to share this story, I want to remind you that all of my advice is general in nature and for educational purposes only. It's never personal advice, product advice, or investment advice, so please always bear that in mind. Annabelle, thank you so much for coming on this morning's episode.
Speaker 2: How are you good?
Speaker 3: Thanks, Canna, how are you going?
Speaker 2: I'm well, I'm well.
Speaker 1: I have to say, you know you're when you sent me a message on Instagram. You know, it was really quite incredible what you shared with me, and I instantly had to have you on the show and for you to be able to say what happened to you and what you went through in your own words, because I feel like right now everyone is just feeling a little bit lost and overwhelmed and defeated, and I think your story just shows the importance of having a positive mindset and doing the best you can do. And you know the importance of little things adding up here and there, and you know how you can really transform your life when you have goals and start building up your own financial literacy. Can you share with our listeners what initially motivated you to take control of your financial future and start your journey towards building a substantial share portfolio.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Sure, if I just give you a background. I'm fifty three, a solo mum with two gorgeous girls eighteen and fifteen at the moment, they are separated. When the kids were three in six and then two years after that, unfortunately, my ex husband passed away unexpectedly, so at that time the children were five and age and the result of this was that I took on one hundred percent solo responsibility for raising the children and that was on all levels. So that was their emotional needs, especially after losing their father, their physical and logistics needs. You know, they were with me one hundred percent of the time. I was doing all the physical work, so drop off pickups, running between extracurricular activities, you know, during the early mornings in the late nights. And also their financial needs, so the children's school fees, before and after school care, those associated expenses. They went from fifty percent shared to one hundred percent responsibility. My ex husband didn't have any life insurance and he had very little super for the children. He had his own business and he didn't I don't think consider those as a priority. So the journey has definitely had its challenges along the way, but it's also been the most rewarding journey for a parent and difficult, and as difficult as it's been, it's been I guess a huge amount of growth on my part and also freedom, albeit a little scary, and freedom that comes with I guess making all the decisions solo, so without the need to agree or negotiate or compromise really with the next husband. I'd say being a solo mum, I was borced to take control of my own financial journey, there really was no option for me. My financial wellbeing and my children overall well being really rested solely on my shoulders. So my number one focus was to make sure that I provided for my children and gave them that sense of stability and security. Yeah, if you want a bit of a background, I'd say I'd always been reasonably good with money. I had a well paid job. I was definitely able to stand on my own two feet financially, and I usually managed to spend less than I own. I was able to pay the bills and handle emergencies, so I knew that in the longer term, though, I could do more than just make ends meet. However, I had to get through a few financial hardships and hurdles in the initial stages, which included paying for a very costly separational divorce which kind of dragged on for a number of years before my ex husband passed away, and I was also left paying off a substantial debt he had incurred when he passed away in relation to a business venture. My name had been on the loan because we were married at the time. But fast forward ten years later, and after overcoming those financial setbacks and having been focused on paying down my mortgage. I realized that I not only should, but very much could take control of my longer term financial independence. I could plan for what I wanted that to look like. I identified my numbers, you know, from my number for my share pot, my number for my emergency fund, and then I kind of started to reverse engineer and work backwards from there to identify what milestones I needed to achieve, you know, year by year, month by month, and see if that was possible and what I needed to change to make that possible. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow, So you've gone through a very expensive and i'm sure emotionally and financially challenging divorce.
Speaker 2: Then you've lost.
Speaker 1: Your ex husband and you know to look after the girls one hundred percent full time emotionally and financially and physically. Then you've actually inherited your ex husband's debt after everything you've gone through. Yes, I did, Yes, But yet you still push on and use this as an opportunity, you know, with great responsibility to step up and build something quite incredible for your mental and emotional and financial stability, but also for your beautiful girls as well.
Speaker 3: Correct, Yes, as much as I can.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean losing you know an ex husband, and then you know going through everything you've gone through is not a small feet How would you say your perspective of the importance of financial wellbeing and being prepared when it comes to money has evolved.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this was a real eye opener for me, Kenna. It was a strong message not to bury my head in the sand and leave financial independence to chance. As the sole provider, I had to manage immediate expenses, so the typical household expenses, so the more geared utilities, groceries, health insurance. I now had to pay for all of these, So this required some budgeting to ensure all our immediate needs were met. I had never really budgeted before this, and to be honest, it's not something I enjoy. I do enjoy playing, I do enjoy planning for my financial future, and I do look at that from a positive experience. But I felt budgeting was something which meant I had to limit myself in our spending. So for me, there was some negative connotation to that word budget. Initially, I now understand it's difficult to have one without the other, and they really do go hand in hand, don't they. Our budget and our financial goals.
Speaker 1: Oh one d I mean, I think, you know, look at my own personal finances. It's the goals that are in my budget that are successfully achieved and on time. And you know, I look, I mean, I look at my budget as my safe place.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It means that I don't blow money and run out of money before at the end of my pay cycle. You know, there's sufficient funds in there to pay for the groceries and all the schedule direct debits and so forth.
Speaker 2: So for me, it.
Speaker 1: Helps keep my mental and financial stanity going. So, but I can understand how a lot of people aren't quite there yet. I think it takes that point where your budget really starts to work for you actually realize how important it is and how actually valuable it is in your life if you want to get ahead financially.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I needed to plan for some of the bigger costs, you know, the dental orthodontics for the kids, braces, you know, car repairs, house repairs, that kind of stuff, And the importance of an emergency fund really becomes paramount for a solo parent. This really is your safety net for unexpected costs. And I think if we hadn't experienced this devastating chapter in our lives. It's unlikely that I of put myself to work on a financial journey and created these goals in a budget. I probably just floated along. So it's definitely had a significant but positive impact on financial planning and preparedness for me.
Speaker 1: Oh, afinitely, And I thank blessing in disguise. But I feel like, you know, there is the one civil lining that's come out for you from going through this tragedy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and when things such as divorce or death, you know, do happen, one very quickly learns that you need to be prepared for the unexpected. I know you speak a lot about having the right insurances in place. This is especially important when the person has debt, including a mortgage, and maybe not so important as you get older and have less debt and your children leave home and become financially independent. But you really want to protect your children when they are young.
Speaker 1: Oh, absolutely, And you know you need to think about what is important for them to have if something was to suddenly, you know, happen to you and you things like educational requirements or you know, tertiary education, even what's something you want to make sure that is blocked in as a priority. And this is why it's so important to go and get advice from someone who is qualified and experienced in that area of life insurance, TBD, income protection, trauma cover because they can actually help work out what is the right level for yourself. Can we move on to your savings, because you have successfully saved over one hundred thousand dollars and you have brilliant dreams and goals to grow this to a million dollars.
Speaker 2: Can you talk me through the steps.
Speaker 1: That you've taken that allow you to get started and keep going with this, and how you've managed to stay so incredibly focused.
Speaker 3: Sure. So, I've been following and listening to Sugar Mama religiously every month in morning for a while now, and amongst other financial podcasts too, And last year you recommended Peter thorn Hill's book Motivated Money, and you introduced him as your mentor. I'm an avid reader and actually an avid list listener of audiobooks, so I try to get through one a week, and I also hope I'm a lifelong learner. So I ordered Peter's book immediately and I read it twice cover to cover, probably a month apart. So I got an opportunity to digest the information. I highlighted all the bits of it that I thought were important for me, and quite frankly, the book blew my mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's mind blowing.
Speaker 3: Yes, Yes, So it was simple to understand. It had a lot of great information, and it really provided clarity on the share market, which I had never really understood in any great detail up until then, and what I thought was a little risky at the time. So there were quite a few light bulb moments whilst I was reading that, and following that, I binged on your book Mindful Money over the Christmas break, and after reading both of these I felt a lot more confident, I felt more knowledgeable, and I felt prepared to take some action. I'm a strong believer that the best way for me to learn is to take action immediately as soon as I've read a book, when it's fresh in my mind, and even if it's a tiny step, I feel like if I leave it till a little bit later, I often gain insights and knowledge. But life it's busy, and I don't go back and take action, and that ends up being a nice learning experience, but it doesn't change my life.
Speaker 2: Exactly. I mean procrastination.
Speaker 1: Is that probably one of the biggest issues I think in Australia because we're all so busy, you know, raising families and trying to.
Speaker 2: Keep up on top of our own responsibilities, that you know, fixing our finance gets pushed to the bottom of the list.
Speaker 1: And this is why people come and see me and say can I'm in the same position that I was seven years ago, and every year I make this goal, but nothing ever happens, and you know, I'm starting to waste time, and that's where the sort of panic kicks in. So it has to be you know, personal finance and personal factual well being needs to be up there with eating vegetables and getting series.
Speaker 2: It's so important.
Speaker 3: The first step py I did, I guess out of that reading those two books, was to set up the bank accounts which you recommended, and literally this took all of five minutes on a sunny Sunday afternoon in the backyard. The everyday expense is one I already had that obviously, and I set up a separate emergency account, so prior to that, I kind of kept my emergency money with my everyday money, which really meant it was always going up and down, and I didn't really have a figure of what that was. So now I've got an emergency fund figure in my head, even though I haven't necessarily achieved it. I created a lifestyle one as well. It's still got zero balance with this point in twenty twenty four, and I created that wealth bill to one and it's the wealth billed one that I decided to focus on this year with the plan of this being far more automated going forward in twenty twenty five. So I initially set a goal for myself at the beginning of the year to save approximately forty thousand dollars for twenty twenty four, with the plan to contribute thirty to forty thousand every year over the next ten to twelve years whilst I remained at work with the idea that if there was eight, nine or ten percent to gain every year, that that would be close to a million dollars. And this doesn't mean I needed to live a frugal life, Cannop, but it does mean that I needed to be more focused and mindful of where I was spending my money and what was important to me. So I had already been putting away a little each month for a number of years in a Vanguard high growth EFT, and I really wasn't taking it too seriously anyway. I checked my Vanguard account and that was sitting at close to fifteen thousand. I had also already had fifteen thousand in savings, so there was thirty thousand, and then over the period of January through to May, I saved another twenty thousand. And it was a conscious effort because I had given myself this goal. So at it is point in time, to my surprise, i'd already reached my forty thousand goal and we hadn't reached midway through the year yet, so I figured I needed to up the ante a little bit. And one of the other things that I had done a few years ago, and I absolutely do not recommend this for any of your listeners, but I had decided whenever I had some extra money, i'd drop it into crypto, and it was mostly at that time Bitcoin, and it was just for a bit of fun, I guess, and I was not taking it seriously, and I absolutely was comfortable with the idea of losing this, So you know, it wasn't my life, sis or anything. And I do know now how volatile it is. So it sounds crazy to sound minded people like yourself and Peter that you know, crypto is kind of not the thing to be involved in. But it was only like, you know, fifty dollars here, twenty dollars here, or one hundred dollars here. And to my surprise, that had added up over the years as well. I had done that during COVID. Bitcoin was quite low over that period, so after I had read your books, I thought, geez, I better get out of this. Luckily, at the time when I sold this, it was in April this year, Bitcoin was going to be halved, and to cut along story short, that happens every four years, and it's meant to reduce the supply of new bitcoins, which in theory, if the demand doesn't change, should increase the price. Anyway, absolutely not a valid reason to hold bitcoin. That was definitely definitely a good time for me to sell. So I sold those and that's how I built that share portfolio for that wealth. Build your account up to one hundred thousand, and yes, I will need to pay capital gains tax on that when I did my tax return this year, so I'll probably be investing in my shop portfolio is just a little bit less than one hundred thousand before I actually commenced that, Gurney, And how did you.
Speaker 1: Work out the investments, because I think a lot of people, you know, they get opened up the account, but then they sort of hit a brick when they work out, Okay, what am I going to buy first?
Speaker 3: Or yes, I still haven't. I still haven't done that. And it's a combination of I just like we'll like to be diversified. In Peter's book, Kick kind of suggests going against the ETF because the dividends need to be distributed one hundred percent, while LICs can hold onto them. And it's a bit more consistent as long as it's diversified and industrial some ETFs and some LICs. So it's probably something that I will speak to you offline about, Kenna.
Speaker 1: Okay, no problem, absolutely, So how do you then balance your financial goals with you know, the day to day expenses and responsibility that comes with you know, raising a family, you know, growing beautiful girls.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do appreciate that money and finances are really only a small part of the responsibility of raising a family. However, if this part of our life isn't working. It does put stress on parents, which which makes it really difficult to focus on our more important aspects of raising the family and really being present. I know that I don't want my finances to get in the way of enjoying my life with my kids. So for me, the best way to balance these goals is to have clarity and understand my why. So make sure my goals are smart goals. You know, they're specific, they're measurable, they're achievable, and then put in systems in place which are automated and almost allow this to run on autopilot in the background. So I've set some guidelines for myself and I'm satisfied when I'm able to adhere to these eighty percent of the time. I don't need to let perfect Really can I get in the way of good It rather take more small steps in the right direction than to be paralyzed by perfection. So for me, that balance looks like this. I have one loose budget, and I'm completely honest when I say it's loose, So if I can stick with it eighty percent at the time, I'm satisfied. I really don't kick myself if I don't get there. One hundred percent of the time, you'd probably rip my budget to Shred's kenna. But flexibility that works for me. Number two is I do have clear financial goals, so I know my number for my emergency fund, I know my number for my retirement and I assign specific amounts and timelines to these goals. So that's short medium along by no means does this imply that these are always looking amazing. Some of these numbers are far from amazing, and they are very much a work in progress. Number three, I automate as much as I can, so I don't get too involved on a daily basis, because, as you know, working full time, being a solo mum and just managing to make dinner and do the washing keeps me busy enough. Number four is I have quite a thorough monthly check in, and that's good enough for me. I really look forward to this and I enjoy doing a deep dive. I get paid once a month, so this works with my pay cycle. I check if I'm on track, I see what needs tweaking. Some months I might over and some months sold them cut back the following month. And it's easy with banking apps these days to see or spend categories. It also gives me an opportunity to celebrate the milestones two when I do this monthly checking. Oh absolutely yeah, and this year I have this particular goal. And so then I've practiced mindful spending more than I ever have before. I consider the value and necessity of purchasing before I go ahead. So the focus has been on time with the kids once eighteen, as I said once fifteen. So I'm mindful that whatever we spend on is about sharing experiences, you know, time with them, going away and really building lifelong memories.
Speaker 1: Look, I mean everything you say is so on point, and you know, I particularly love the fact that you point out how you know understanding your why. You know, what does freedom look like for you? What does it feel like?
Speaker 2: And I think when.
Speaker 1: People connect with the meaning behind and what will the value that will give you and the benefits and the relief, the freedom, the choice, all those fantastic choices and luxuries that come to you, and how they are priceless, it becomes you know, it's suddenly that on the list of things to do, it comes up to being you know, number two or three rather than number twenty seven on the list, and that checking, particularly when you're feeling deflated or defeated, even to see actually I'm all right, or actually I haven't done as bad as I thought, or actually I'm so much better off than I was last month, or this time last.
Speaker 2: Year, or even you know, five years ago.
Speaker 1: It kind of helps give you that invigoration that you are on the right track and you are doing the right things, and that faith and confidence to keep going and to trust yourself just rinse and repeat, you will get there.
Speaker 2: And you're learning things all the time.
Speaker 1: Which are priceless, even if you don't see them necessarily being displayed in your bank balance yet. So there's such valuable points that you raise. Now I know for a fact that you're back and is in it. How do you find being a contractor challenging or overcome those challenges I should say, in working on your financial well being?
Speaker 3: Yes, so I identified early on in my career, after a few different roles, that I really enjoyed the diversity and challenge of working in different organizations, so be they big or small, and different projects again big or small, and gaining different perspectives and different ways of doing business and running systems. So that environment keeps me motivated. It keeps me interested, and it keeps me learning. So when I decided to step away from permanent work and dive into the world of contracting or consulting, I was in my late twenties at the time and I was still married at that time. So given that decision was made twenty years ago, at that point it didn't seem as daunting because there was a double income coming in, and if there weren't quiet periods, there was always a second income by chance was working. I think once I became a solo parent, it was always at the back of my mind, and I did one day if I should look for something more stable. However, over the years, life has just worked itself out, so when one project finished, another one seemed to start. So I was fortunate in that respect. With contracting, however, you do get a better day rate, but there is no annually there's no annual leave, there's no sick leave, no maternative leave, So you need to take all that into consideration. You know, for company that you're contracting to close us down for three weeks over Christmas, you need to make sure you've planned for that because you won't be getting paid over that period. And you still need to plan for your Christmas spending of gifts and celebrations, so there's certainly some planning. But I also took the view as a solo parent that if push came to shove, I could always go back to a permanent role, or at a minimum, if there were quiet periods between contracts, I could always take up some temp work or anything to cover the mortgage or bills. So I did now, and I did continue to contract throughout most of my journey, and only recently in the last year. I decided to take on a permanent role because I liked the role, I liked the people I was working with, and I like the organization. The other thing I did do notice and I have over the last ten years or twenty years of contracting. I'm hoping that banks have changed now. But back in the day, you couldn't easily get income protection insurance if you were a contractor. You had to jump through hoops really to get a mortgage because you didn't have a permanent role with the same employer for a number of years. I feel this has changed as we have so many people consciously contracting in the workplace these days. But I will say that the uncertainty of contracting as a solo parent, I feel has held me back in making some of those bigger financial decisions. You know, I could have definitely taken on a little more with maybe bigger debt, a bigger mortgage, which I was reluctant to do so not only a solo parent, but also as a contractor, and I should have maybe backed myself more and been more confident with taking these steps. I look back now and I see I was probably more risk averse and conservative than what I really needed to be, and I feel that may have set me back financially. I'm definitely far more confident now in my financial ability than I was earlier in my journey, for sure.
Speaker 1: And so much of that just boils down to education. You know, we are scared of what we don't understand. So when you understand the facts and the figures and understand the risks and also the strategies behind minimizing those risks, suddenly your confidence increases. So I think, I think that's just you're just perfectly, you know, illustrating the importance for everyone to invest time understanding money and understanding how to navigate the world of money in personal finances. Now, on that note of education, you've read obviously Peter Thornhill's book Motivated Money and my book Mindful Money. How did those two books help you actually work out your personal investment strategy and your financial mindset.
Speaker 3: So self education for me, Hanna has played the single biggest role. It's been crucial in both my investing journey and my mindset. I now have a far greater understanding of the various investment vehicles that are really available to me, and that really allows me to make these informed decisions and ask the right questions. There's so much free material out there available to anyone. I know. When I was younger, I really just assumed that the only way to financial freedom and a passive income was via property. You know, you don't really know what you don't know. Education has shown me that I can achieve way more financially with reinvesting and compounding than I ever imagined. And it's also shown me that if it works for other people, then it can work for me too. And I've learned topics previously that were foreign to me. So the share market, EFTs LICs, super anuation, they're not as complex as people in the financial world will have us believe, and you know, some of these topics, they are actually simpler than I had expected, although I do notice superannuation rules do change often and we really need to keep up to date with some of these.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and look, that's the value of a financial planner as well, you know, is to know that these potential changes around the corner, to proactively plan and prepare for what changes to caps or loopholes that may open up or close. So you know, that's you're not expected to be able to do it all. But there is a lot, as you say, of free information out there that can really help.
Speaker 2: You understand the options are available.
Speaker 1: And then obviously a financial planner can find tune those sorts of things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I love having a book where I can highlight sections that resonate with me, or where I can add sticky notes, or I can reread a section that I don't understand the first time, So you can take self education at your own pace, and once you get those light bulb moments when you're they never lost on you again. So yeah, it's allowed me to you know, the other day, I went back to my superannuation financial advisor and I asked him about an in specie transfer. His jaw dropped, I think, and I dare say not many clients have asked him this before.
Speaker 2: I'm so proud of you for asking that question.
Speaker 1: It is the one most important thing everyone should ask if the superhneration account provider, because it's something potentially the concern save you know, tens of thousands of dollars in tax, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars in tax. Now a lot of slightly different topic was still money related. Manifestation and I guess the money mindset focus were key elements in your financial journey. Can you explain how you practically apply these concepts to your financial goals?
Speaker 3: Yes, Enna, I know you refer to it as manifesting, and I know you encourage all your listeners to manifest. I refer to it as focus, but I feel we're definitely talking about the same thing here. So I just think the word manifest has always been the little as usual for me because I work in it. So after all, I've got lots of black and more white in my world. But the word, folks, that really resonates and connects with me. So my firm belief, Kenna, is that it's really impossible for things not to change if you do stay focused and take at least some action, no matter how small, on that one focus area. So for me, it's important to focus on one goal at a time. I know some people are really good at focusing on many, but I get a bit flustered if I try to achieve too much at the same time. And sometimes the goals are competing, you know, do I want to increase my emergency fund or pay off my mortgage quickly, or do I want to invest in the share market. Sometimes I can be competing because you've only got one source of funds. So for me, I just think I focus on the one big thing and I take small actions that build momentum, And it's literally impossible if you focus and take action for a shift not to take place. For me, as I mentioned earlier, focus really means my smart goals, making sure I understand them, making sure I've got my why, and making sure I'm one hundred percent dedicated to you know, these monthly check ins, et cetera.
Speaker 1: And do you ever do sort of visualization where you sort of see yourself buying shares, you know, making.
Speaker 2: Those decisions or receiving a dividend payment.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, I absolutely do, and I think from time to time I go online and check my superinnuation as well and see how that's looking. So it's definitely a part of my life and visualizing that and seeing it grow for sure.
Speaker 1: Now coming back to your situation, and you know so many women these days, despite so much information out there now, lee still leave their.
Speaker 2: Fincial decisions to their partners.
Speaker 1: What would you say to those women and think, oh, it's fine, my husband does it all. Where do you now stand on that considering everything you've gone through?
Speaker 3: So personally, I gave up a lot of my financial decision making dury my marriage. I was always contributing financially. But my assumption, which was incorrect, I guess, was that my husband at the time had his own business, who was six years older, so surely he must be better at managing money and making financial decisions than I was. And men it are also greater talking about money amongst their peers and sharing ideas, so just talking the lingo I think makes them appear better equipped to make these decisions, which isn't necessarily the case. I think we women don't talk about money or financial goals nearly enough. It's just not something we do when we catch up with our girlfriends for brunch. I think we should share more in this space, maybe be a bit more vulnerable and support each other in our financial pursuits. And it's not I guess, can I just limit it to heterosexual partnerships. I think by default often we leave the household finances and investing to the person we feel may have more knowledge in this space. It's for both partners financial livelihoods, so both should be equally invested in their goals and their decisions and their outcomes. I know I was forced into this as a solo parent, but it is empowering to take an active role in managing your own financial journey.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely like that.
Speaker 1: Communication and transparency is essential and that's non negotiable. And I say to people who are trying to get their partner on board with taking their financial wellbeing seriously, is come from a place is empowerment and education. It's the only way to get your partner committed and dedicated and actually seeing all the beautiful benefits that come from prioritizing your financial wellbeing. Now, looking ahead, as we wrap up today's episode, can you hear with some of your big financial goals that you're working on and will safe focusing on for the next couple of years.
Speaker 3: Yes, So once I have finalized my ship portfolio and chosen the best third ETF and LICs for me, I'll be able to confidently put my ship portfolio on autopilot and tackle some other goals. So back in twenty fifteen, I purchased an investment property and with the increase to land tax, you know, insurances and maintenance costs, that rental yield I've calculated is very low and it's well, definitely low in comparison to a share portfolio, which really comes along with no operating expenses.
Speaker 2: Franking credits.
Speaker 3: Yes, and I wish I could say Kenna that you know, I've had this unit for nine years and I had hoped that there was a substantial amount of capital growth, but it's not huge, if I'm honest. So the goal is to sell this and take that equity to top up my superannuation with non concessional contributions. And another thing is about two or three years ago, I started a small Vanguard account for each of the children. So I put in one hundred dollars per month for each child My plan was to kick start their financial journey, which I've then passed these accounts onto them for them to manage when they start working for time, and I'd expect to like them to contribute one hundred dollars per month so they get to see what reinvesting and compounding can do. To be honest, that balance is very small, so it'd be nice if I could chop that up or add more and then hand that over to the girls at the right time.
Speaker 2: What exciting goals to have and to be working on. You know, you must be. You must have been so proud of yourself.
Speaker 3: I'm feeling excited about the future for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: All right. Last question as we wrap up today's episode, what advice would you give you all yourself when it comes to money and money management?
Speaker 3: So I'd say start as early as possible. A little goes a long way with compounding. If you start early, you've got lots of time on your side. It's a gift. I try to communicate this to my children Canna all the time. My eldest daughter is currently too busy living her best life, but my fifteen year old is very cleuely on all things financed. So I dare say she might excel in this arena. The hardest thing is really starting the journey, understanding what your current position is, coming up with achievable goals, and creating a plan. I found that to be the biggest hurdle, But thereafter it's about following through and going along for the ride. One of the other things is if you are in a relationship, get interested in the finances and don't leave it to your partner. Make sure you are on the same page with your financial goals. For the single people, I know, it's much harder to make the numbers work, but there is a wonderful freedom that comes with not needing to negotiate, compromise, or even agree on a financial goals with a partner. So if you are single, I'd say embrace that take an active role in your financial education. So read, read, read, and listen to podcasts, and remain patient and persistent. We are really in this for the long game. And finally, I think everyone needs to be kind to themselves. You know, life happens to all of us and sometimes we can have financial setbacks or make financial mistakes. I absolutely have, But don't be hard on yourself, and please don't stop on your journey if you do experience some setback.
Speaker 1: Brilliant advice and so timely with everything that's going on right now and people feeling vulnerable and fragile and questioning, you know, what they should do next and whether they should just throw the towel in. So I can't thank you enough for coming on today's episode of Sugar Mama's Fireplay. Adambel, you are absolutely fantastic. Thank you so much for all of our listeners. If you could take a moment to leave a rating and review, but more importantly, could you take a moment to go and send this particular episode to anyone that you know that would really benefit from hearing Annabelle's incredible story and her wisdom, her advice and her strength, because it really is contagious. All right, everyone, thank you so much for listening, and I look forward to touching base with you again next Monday morning.
Speaker 3: On Sugar Mama's fire Work.
Speaker 2: Of course, make sure you are subscribed today