Speaker 1: What about because I was telling I was telling Dad one of my favorite pranks you. I think I brought this up to you on the Continues Call team the other day when you when you just did the Footy Show and you did the old prank. It was like in a It was almost like at a surf club public toilet and you run it. You said, I beat you. I can watch this, and you like run into a toilet and one second later Brett was at the other end. He ran out that side. You just do a lot of it, because you did a fair bit of that prank stuff on the Footy Show.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, well that was probably one of the only times we did it. But that bloke, he was absolutely rattled. Like I said, oh, do you want to see a magic chick. I'll go in this door and come out that door. So I was sprinting down there, but I had to make sure I made the slap against the wall loud enough so Brett could hear it. Ah, So I've ran like it's as hard as I could and slap the wall and then he's come out the other side of the bloke was just like like looking around and going oh no. And then we got this other bloke in the Crinallum Hall as well as he would have been about sixty five or seventy. I've walked up to him and asked for directions to the trains. He's gone, it's just down that way, mate. I said, oh, yeah, no where thanks, walked off and then he's walked twenty meters and then Brett's popped out in front of hey mate. You know, he was just as rattled to it, and then like I've kind of popped out because otherwise he would have been like.
Speaker 1: I'm losing more thought he's in the matrix.
Speaker 2: So no, there weren't too many pranks we played on each other, Like I thought about doing it going back to the Dragons and playing the prank here and there. But a lot of a lot of those boys we grew up with as well, so they knew us as well. And then yeah, it's like when whenever Brett got a buy or something like that, he'd come up and stay at my house and we'd go out with the boys. So a lot like a lot of the boys knew each of us from the different clubs.
Speaker 3: Okay, so what you see a lot of time is the older brother generally young looks after the younger brother sometimes. You know, it's proven that the younger brother's more lazy, fair, and more reactive. The older brother always thinks, are worries more about the future. And I see that with Joey and I, and I see it with Jack and Cooper. Who was born? For who was first? You were born?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Is that trait? Do you think?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: It doesn't.
Speaker 2: No, I reckon he especially on those kangaroo tours, because I was an emu for all three of them, and he was my roommate for all three of them, so he used to like I used to go out and come home and be he'd be playing on the Saturday. I get over at like three am, and he reckons that. One one night I came home and I must have tripped over his bag because he used to sleep closest to the door. So I've just started kicking the ship and poking him up. He's gone fucking go to bed, he reckons as fast as he's ever seen anyone. I've just gone, yes, sir, put me hands to me side like that, and fell forward onto my bed, and he reckons before I hit the mattress, I was snoring, so he had had to put my legs over and tuck me in. But now I was I was probably the one who wasn't as sensible. Like I said, he kind of let me, let me go out and make an edio to myself and then then rain me.
Speaker 1: The positive thing of that, right, because you are two different personalities, but you are also identical twins. So if somebody messed up on a night out, maybe you know, smashed a beer over someone or did something like, you know, it probably wouldn't come out in the media because they didn't they couldn't define whether it was Josh or Breath.
Speaker 2: Ended up in a defamation case. There is one time I did go out and we'd played on the Friday. Yeah, we played on the Friday. So I was out at the Vinyl rooming Guymere. It was a Saturday night and made I was. I had about ten vodka lemonades in front of me, and these blokes come up to me and they're like, can't you bread? So I'm like, yeah, don't you play the Dragons tomorrow? I know sharks. He was playing for the Dragons. I said, yeah, we're playing the Sharks. Don't worry about that. I'll score two tries. Tomorrow, no dramas, and they're like, oh, can we get a fight. I'm like, yeah, played the next day and got a double. Oh wow, they have been going This boke was out all night, comes out and scores a double. Jeez, he's a good player.
Speaker 1: That's the Sammi Verrel story as well. Sammy Verrel's has got twinnal twin Oliver. And at the Grand Final they played against I think it was the Raiders, Sammy Bell's starting hooker, and his brother Oliver is sitting there and having a beer in the crowd and they go, aren't you Sammy Vels. He goes yeah, yeah, and he aren't you playing in like an hour and a half he goes, yeah, Robbo, lets me come out and have a couple of beers with my family before the game, helps me calm my nerves. And then they were oh right, And apparently the boys gone back to everyone and go I just saw Sammy Vel's in there smashing schooners at the public bar, like at the front of the stadium, and then five minutes in or six minutes in he scores on fifteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I guess that's one of the advantages of being in a twin as well, like, yeah, I don't think the journals were too keen to print, and I think.
Speaker 3: Your career is unbelievable, josh a Mountain football. You played, but you played some interesting clubs. First of all, so you finish at the Roosters. You've got the and they got the Sharks, two great clubs. First two clubs you're played for are really like massive club not the others who art. But what I mean is massive clubs is the amount of passion with this, you know, and in good times things are unbelievable. In bad times things are awful. So you started at Dragons, then you go to the Bulldogs, Like, can you give us an idea of that playing for those really big passionate fans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, yeah, you're right. They are similar fan bases in the fact that they expect success and when they don't get it, they are very, very vocal about it. I still remember I'm playing for the Dragons and number of times the fans get given it to us when we're behind the goal line, and then when you're winning, like they're so proud of and the pats on the back come. But it's similar to the Dogs as well. But Yeah, the Dogs had a lot of a lot of tough times for a while there, and then I came along. You know, nine, they just they just won the wooden spoon and they brought about six or seven of it across. There was myself, Mick, Ennis, Ben Hannah, and Michael Hodgson was there, David Stag, Greg Eastwood, a lot of family blokes. I was probably, and Brett Marley was there too, sorry. So there were a lot of family blokes there. They were trying to get the family club vibe going. And then I was probably the youngest. But Kevin Moore had just taken over from Folksy as coach. He was the one that got me there. He wanted me to play center, and he goes, I'm not I'm going to give you fifty games at center. I'm not going to drop you. I think you're a center. He said that, and that kind of gave me confidence in myself as well. But we played this really different style of football. It was a very attacking style of football. Yeah, a lot of a lot of drop lines, a lot of movement, a lot of second phase and off the back of it. Off the back of that, like I had Ben Roberts as my healf. He probably had a career best year that year, and I was on the outside of him. I think I scored about twenty two or twenty three tries that year, and.
Speaker 3: It was, yeah, we are interesting style.
Speaker 2: That was probably the most enjoyable year of football I ever had. And then off the back of that, we had a couple of years where we probably didn't succeed and underachieved, and then that's when Dez came in, and then from that moment on we went from being, you know, a professional club to the ultra professional. You know what does is like with all these gps, his data and that and just his training the training loads went up, and off the back of that, we're able to make two Grand finals in three years.
Speaker 3: Really quick. Yeah, two Grand finals twenty twelve. Have you ever been part of a player that had such an unbelievable season just so consistently did freaky things like ben Barba that year?
Speaker 2: No, Like yeah, like that was just crazy, the amount of tries that we scored out of the back end of our half or on play one because of his kick returns, and not only that, like his ball playing ability that year was great, but he saved so many tries that year on our goal line as well, like there were I think there was one against we played the Warriors, and I don't know how he managed to save it. I think it was a big front trying to crash over, but he was over the back of him and got flipped over and just managed to get his hand underneath it. And we won that game off the back of his defense. Like he was just phenomenal talent. And that year I don't think anyone saw that coming, but me and him struck up a partnership that year as well. I reckon I scored probably fifteen tries off him that year.
Speaker 1: You scored that one was.
Speaker 2: In that year as well.
Speaker 1: He was He started that said in the Cooper put a kick in the right corner in the nearly on the dead ball line, and then he beat about seven blokes and a lot of those blokes were like blokes that don't miss, you know, Cameron Smith and then.
Speaker 2: Madam Smith took his head off and he didn't get simmoned.
Speaker 1: And then he put and then he put the chipki oginde.
Speaker 2: We went into Origin camp. But that's a high tackle. He's got to go.
Speaker 1: But was he what was he like a training like, was he a freak doing freaky things a train or even his preseason leading into that year, did you know something special was coming?
Speaker 2: Nah? No, like he to start with, his fitness levels probably weren't there. But like under Daz, like Dere's got every unfit and off the back of that he was able to do some amazing things. And like a lot of the blokes there, like like Sam Casciano, Greg Eastwood, Frankie Richard, like some of those blokes, they were probably the fittest they'd ever been. And like the footy they played that year was freaky amazing as well. So that was that was another enjoyable year. But on the on the big day, we just got out coached. They had two trick plays. They both came off and there was there was a moment as well for myself. Benny made a half break. There was about fifteen minutes ago and it was similar to the Mackay. He went to the outside, I came back on the inside. He's kicked it. I didn't get the bounce, so I've kicked it again and as it's about to get in front of me, I'm about to catch this ball ten meters out and run under the post score with about fifteen to gay the ball. And in my fifteen years of first grade, the ball never bounce for me like that. It bounced up and up over my head. I've tried to get the ball, I've touched it and then Billy's knocked it dead. So I knocked it on and then that was it after that.
Speaker 1: It's funny. I remember when I came, when I went into Melbourne that the first year they made the Grand Final against the Roosters, and leading into that week, Billy Slated did a big talk on trick. He was like, well planned trick plays win big games, and he showed those two the two tries for that. The first one was it was I think the first one was where they set up a play because the right half, I don't remember who the right half was for you guys that day, Josh Reynolds, Josh Reynolds. They'd seen a tendency in his game that whenever you'd put a back roller on his on his outside shoulder, he would just he'd leave the inside play and have only eyes for him and he'd slide out. So they come up with that play where he can play. They Yeah, they'd pumped to the back rower and Slater would come between the half and the back roll which they Slatsy scored on. And then there was a tricky kick play that they think Matt Duffy maybe might have been.
Speaker 2: I think it was Julian O'Neill, Julian Justin and it was.
Speaker 1: So it was so interesting when he broke it down, it was like, mate, you know that you only get a certain amount of, you know, opportunities in big games to play, so you need to pre plan.
Speaker 3: I love that from Billy because people get there and you go, oh, you don't need you don't need tricks to win Grand finals? Yeah, yeah, you do sometimes. Twenty fourteen, you know it was another Grand Final, twenty four Doeen against South Yeah, twenty fourteen. So one of the things I love it when I used to play with some play players to get them how they get themselves up emotionally and it lifts everybody else. James Graham in that game, like where he grabs Billy and does the Vlad the Impaler like just takes it bites. What was he like in the sheds Fully game? How high did he used to get?
Speaker 2: He'd have the smelling Sultan. Then just eyes would be rolling in the back of his head and he'd say, boys, I'm going to go out there and try and commit murder. Who's coming with me? I'm gonna I'm gonna leave nothing out. And you know there's players like I imagine Adrian Morley was just as crazy. It must just be an Englishman. But yeah, like he led by his actions, Jim, and you know, whenever there was always a chase back, he'd always been the frame as well. Like it's he just never gave up and he was willing to put his head in places where most people were.
Speaker 1: Man had he already won a Grand Final in the Super.
Speaker 2: He'd won one early on, I think, and then he lost about six or seven in a row and he finished his career winning one.
Speaker 1: So because even that twenty fourteen Grand Final, you talk about the start where he breaks Sam Bird's cheek.
Speaker 3: Punts didn't hit him enough, he said, he said that initially the plan was going to be kick away from Sam. Apparently he said to no, no, I want to get some action on.
Speaker 2: And made he got Dave Tyrrel that day as well, like he was on one. But there was a difference between twelve and fourteen as well, like in terms of our season, like we were minor premiers and twelve. In fourteen thirteen we underachieved and Des was absolutely filthy at us. So fourteen we had a really tough preseason, but we had a fair few injuries throughout the year and it was like we were sitting like six seventh for most part of the year and Des he was like, don't worry about where we're sitting on the ladder, just make the eight. He goes, We'll be fine, We'll get to the Grand Final, no worries, because he just believed in outside that much. And then we finished seventh. The first week we went down to Melbourne and played Melbourne down there and flogged them, gave it to and then the next week we played mainly we beat them in Golden Point. I think it was Trent Hodginson kicked a field goal. Then we played Penrith in the prelim final. We beat them by only I think four points maybe, but we lost Mick Andnis in that game and that was that was huge for us, losing Mick because he was our captain and you know how great a talking Mick is, the way he can get a side up just just by talking, like we lost a bit of that during the week and him, you know, reving the boys up in the sheds before the game, and we also had a couple of blokes busted. We were competitive for sixty minutes, but we'd played those four games by that stage that had just taken it out of us, and they just ran away with it and ended up flogging us in the end.
Speaker 3: Funny when you watch the game in hindsight, watching the game live, you go and you look back now in time and you go look at the schooline youes house pretty comfortable win. But when you watch the game again, I mean with twelve minutes ago, the game is genuinely in the balance.
Speaker 2: Can go with the way Yeah yeah, yeah, we just just ran out of steam. But like I said, they played well throughout that year as well, and that I think the twelve one hurt me more than the fourteen because I walked off the field in twelve things and that I couldn't have played any better than what I did and we lost. A better team beat us. But in fourteen I didn't have that good a game and just left a bit hollow.
Speaker 1: Under that one, and it was probably more of an underdog mentality because you finished seventh whereas that twelve, like you guys are the standard all year, finished in first as my premiers. So there's a little bit of almost like an expectation like this is our competition?
Speaker 2: Have you?
Speaker 1: I was just gonna ask because in fourteen, you know the Greg Engliss Goanna is in that. But I love the battle that you and Greg English probably had not only in state of origin, but throughout your whole career. What was that like being one of like because you talk about you talk about Latroll Mitchell now is a dominant one on one center, but the original like one on one give.
Speaker 2: The ball earlier in my generation that was Gi Mat Before that, Wait, it was tough. I'm looking to lie like I had a job to do, but I took that responsibility with great pride as well. And I've said it. I said it to Joey actually, like I remember going on a kangaroo tour and just warming up with him and doing the pummeling and he was strolling me around like a rag doll. I'm like, all right, I need to get in the gym. I need to get so much stronger to take this beast on and like I would do some weird stuff in the gym, like we'd be throwing weights around and like, well what are you lifting that? He before I said, well this is what he weighs this. If I can throw this around, it gives me confidence and throw him around as well. And but like I knew that I had to shut his time down wherever I could say. It wasn't about kind of watching him. It was about watching you know, Billy and and JT and and Cam and them trying to tip him up to get him the ball and on that pass just getting as close as I could to him to try and get that find before it got to me. Chest out got me with it a fair few times. But if I could do a job on him and try and eliminate the damage on him, it would go a long way to us winning as well. So that was a contest I really enjoyed. And yeah, like he he'll go down, he'll probably be in a mortal one day some things. Origin, Yeah, I don't know. He was a new south Wachman too, so that made it.
Speaker 1: I mean, the battle to knew him and Origin was always good. I felt like it was always quite like you were one of the centers that could sort of get him off his game a little bit. But I'm trying to remember the center, Paul. It might have been one of the g I's first He's playing on the left side of his first origins and they give him early ball. It might have been Kingy Matt King and.
Speaker 2: Up over.
Speaker 1: Fender Turner, went back fender gazz Fender Turner again and then hurdled him. Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: Across his body too. Yeah. The first time I played him was in New South wal I was nineties. We played him in the nineties. He was fullback that day and I think he just played. It was two thousand and five, so he just debuted maybe the week or two before, and we were like, oh, let's smash him. Let's give it to him, mate. No one got there. He scored a double beat it's bite about fifty and he was like, mate, this floke is a talent.
Speaker 3: Who's who's the best you've played with? Who's the best played against that?
Speaker 2: Well, probably the best I've played against would probably be g in terms of centners, but played with I mean, I was lucky to play, as I said, went on three kangaroo tours, so got to play with a lot of those Queensland's Lucky Thurston cam Smith, you know, those types of players. But I used to love playing alongside Bertie greg Bird. Yeah, like you just knew what you were going to get with Bertie. He was going to go out there and try and fly into people, break some ribs. But he was also really good with the footing in Hend as well, and a lot of a lot of his best foot You played in the Origin was it five eight? It was.
Speaker 3: Healthy arrogance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and look Gaale probably he gets bagged a lot, but he was a tough, tough bastard. Like to play eighty minutes in Origin in the front row like that took a lot of a lot of willpower there. So yeah, those types of players. And look, I loved playing when I first got to the Dogs as well, with blokes like Naughty Muley and Bobcat, General Patton, all those types of blokes. Like, yeah, I like it. It's hard to like because, like I said, I played started in two thousand and seven, finished in twenty one. So I've played against kind of three you've.
Speaker 1: Played, You've played against everyone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that that kind of helps me at the moment. Still with the sideline stuff because when people see your face, they recognize you because they probably played against me. So it's a lot easier to go up to them and.
Speaker 1: Just gone back to the Dragons for half a second because you're only there for two years and your brother obviously stayed there when you left went to the Bulldogs. But was the circumstances and you leaving there? Was it because you played a fair you played I think forty games in two years there were you did you have to leave? Because was it Matt Cooper and Mark Gasnier as a center and that was it? Just was one of them injured when you went in or so no.
Speaker 2: I dibuted as a fullback. So I played my first year at fullback, played the whole year there. Brett was supposed to be the fullback but he got injured and then sat out the whole year. So it was a good year for me because I was on match payments at that stage. I think I was on about full greender match and I played nearly every match, so I had these mid season I had this big big lumps on payment coming. Moms like, all right, you can have fun for a year, but after that you're get into the count. So I can't imagine how much fun I had there but twenty one with all this cash. But then yes, but then the second year, I kind of started at fullback, then went to the wing, then played center's Coops got injured for a while and I started playing left center. And he came back and Paul McGregor, who was the strengthened conditioning coach, he was kind of a mentor to me. I used to love Mary growing up playing as well, so I was really, yeah, I was stoked when he kind of started mentoring me, and he went into bat for me and said, Coops should play reserve grade. Josh's playing well enough, he should stay there. And then for whatever reason didn't happen, and I think I kind of played a bit of right center, left center wing. So the opportunity came I was off contract and the opportunity to come up to look elsewhere. And that's when I went to the Dogs and Kevin Moore said I want you as a center and that you know, I was like, yeah, like this is what I want I want to be, you know, I left center. I want to forge my career there. And at that stage I had Coops and Gaz there, who were both playing for the Blues. About a week after I signed, Gaz went to France maybe a little maybe two weeks and then they tried to get me back and I said, well, you didn't want me two weeks ago.
Speaker 1: Do you talk about, like people speak, going into a good system or having a really good coach, But I think it's equally as important to have like an experienced, elite older player in your position at the club that you first come into when you're young first grader.
Speaker 2: Did you learn Yeah, I learned a lot from you know, probably be both more like Gas more so with the attacking side, but keeps defensively as well, Like you pick their brains and then you kind of develop your own thoughts on how you should defend as well. And I think the one thing that I always prided myself on as a as a center was my communication. I think you know, I was the loudest person on the field on that left edge. I kind of took it as I was the leader, and I would tell my half what he was doing and tell my winger what he was doing, so we're all on the same page, and you know, there would be times where you know, different parts of the field, and you've got to get on side quick, got to look up and in half a second you've got to make a judgment. But you've got to do it clear, and you've got to be loud. And when you get fatigue, the first thing that goes is communication and that's why you see, you know, people coming out and not doing the same thing. So I always prided myself that no matter how tight I was, I was always the loudest voice on that side. And sometimes it worked because the opposition would hear you they go the other way. So you can always fox it out of it as well.
Speaker 1: Especially in the modern game, the center is the they're the most important.
Speaker 2: Don't tell James Graham that.
Speaker 1: The center is in terms of edge defense. So I won't take to the ruck defense. But the center is the hardest place to defend on the field because when people become attacking shapes, that's where all the decision basically is on the centers if they go deep, whether the gen the fullback at the back. But you also if you jam too early and they catch you out with a pass.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's that's the thing as well. As a center. You don't want to give the opposition the queue, like you want them to come up with the decision rather than you springing out of the line and then playing early like you would try and have a battle with the half and the fullback and just cry on the toy with them, like turn you a little turn your body a little bit in. But then as soon as the pass when you straighten up again, or you'd come up quick, but then kind of slide back in and you just try and toy with them a little bit, but also not give them the queue. At the same time, they'd have to come up with a good play to beat you, and then if they did that, you gave fair play to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this now going to you only had two seasons with the Sharks. Obviously you spent majority of your creer.
Speaker 2: One in two games. It was it one and two games and two games. Yeah, what what was your.
Speaker 1: Experience like that? What was first of all why the move took.
Speaker 2: Now, well, I had well I was at the Dogs and at that stage they had a couple salary cap issues. They weren't going too well. But they actually said to me, we can't even offer you a contract out of respect. You've been here for ten years. We can't offer anything to you at all, so I think you need to look elsewhere. And that was pretty early on, so I respect them for that. And then the decision was, well do I go over to England? At that stage, how old are you? Then? I was was that eighteen I would have been thirty two and I had just had a young daughter as well. So Steve price was a coach at Warrington and Pricey was my under twenties coach, and you know he coach bred at the Dragons as well, and you know, we were still in contact and he wanted me to go over there, but he wanted me to play fullback and I was like, mate, I'm thirty two. You play two or three games a week on soft grounds. I just don't know if I'd be able to do that. And then there was Gold Coast Titans, and then the Sharks came in late and I live five minutes from the ground, so I was like, there's no point in moving my family to Gold Coast or to England for the same amount of money. I'm better off just staying here. But what it did was like you go, when you're so familiar with a club for ten years, you go somewhere else. You've got to almost reinvent yourself, and you've got to train harder and give the boys, show them that they and they've got to trust you and be confident in you. So it kind of gives you a bit of a new lease on life. And I really enjoyed that season at from that perspective as well, trying to make friends and fit into their culture as well. And then you know, I had a great year there. That was gals last year as well, so we enjoyed that ride the Gale Farewell Tour. And the next year I played two games for the Sharkis, but they had a couple of salary cap issues as well, where if someone didn't leave by a certain point in the season that they wouldn't have been playing for points. Ah, you're right, it was. It was. It was just a really strange one. And I asked for a release to go and play alongside Brett and they said no and knocked me back straight away. But what I didn't realize is because they had these salary cap issues in the offseason, start of the preseason, they had offered me up to other clubs, so and they'd written it in an email, so Wow. My manager went back to him and said, well, and then it got to a point where someone had to go, and I went. I turned up to Roosters and the first day of training was covid. Oh well, I met all the boys and went Rodyo, Lah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, was there still I know it was a few years after before you went there, but was there still a little bit of a like a stigma around the club with the whole pep tides.
Speaker 2: When they had won the comp in sixteen? So I think any of that kind of stuff had well and truly gone by that stage. And yeah, like I said, it was girls last year, so we enjoyed that and we had a good trip away at Bali at the end of the year after that too.
Speaker 3: Was the Rooster's culture compared to everyone else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I turned up at the Roosters, and like I was a senior player at the Dog's senior player at the at the Sharkis. But I'll get there and they've got Jared, They've got Mitch Orbison, Brett boy called a Jake friend, Like, yeah.
Speaker 3: And you enjoy them?
Speaker 2: Yeah. I loved it, you know, And we were probably pretty unlucky for those two years that I was there, they had a horror run with injuries and like I remember being twenty one, we were up in the in the COVID bubble. I think we had about three players left by the end of the year that could could actually play. Like that's how bad the injury Toitle was. They lost obviously lost Boydy Jake Friend both to concussions. Brett did his knee in twenty one, so we lost him as well. So but in terms of that that club and I'd come into twenty when they'd come off back to back premiership wins and the standard of training like was unbelievable. Real, Yeah, Like the training a couple of days before the game was almost like a game in itself. So if you had to do your fitness tests, you do it on that day because if you couldn't get through that game simulation, you weren't going to play. Like there were boths just flying into each other just and like I was like, Okay, I can see why they're why they've been like this.
Speaker 1: I heard that like the edge v edge when it was left edge on right edge back then, particularly when they win a calm, was like ridiculously competitive. Yeah, like just blokes getting like you know, you wouldn't be surprised.
Speaker 2: Was Latrell verse Joey?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: True, So that's what they would have been going up against. And I did a fair bit against Joey too, and I was like, this bloke is, so.
Speaker 1: Did you come in to take Latrell's left center spot.
Speaker 2: Well, he went to Souse and then at that time when you left the Sharks, Bryce and Goodwin left SOUS and went to the Sharks.
Speaker 1: It was a love triangle.
Speaker 2: Yes, wow, But the thing is that was that was the weird thing as well. So back to the Sharks. So I'd got a release and they wanted five games, but I ended up playing to the first two games and then the next that that Monday was COVID. In that time, that was when Brons and Cherry got done for yeah by a SATA. So if I had stayed for the five games, I would have They wouldn't have let me go. I would have stayed. So yeah, that was one of those revolving door moments I guess.
Speaker 1: To go to, like to link back up with your brother.
Speaker 2: Who that was? That was the only reason I went, is that the only reason. That was the only reason I went to. You know, we spoke about it start their careers. Would it be to start together and finish together? And like it was, I've said this before. It was easier for me to live to play for Cornella. I lived five minutes down the road. Like it was a great listyle. I enjoyed the club. I enjoyed the boys, but this was purely because I wanted to play alongside my brother and and when people kind of understood that, they respected it. Like I thought, I thought I'd get a lot a lot of blowback from the boys, to the Carnello boys. They a lot of them understood it. But the one bloke who I thought I'd probably get a bit of grief for it was from Andrew fafieda mate. He said, mate, if I was in the same position as you, because his brother was playing over in England, he goes, I would have done the same thing and that and after that I was like, Okay, that's that's good, Josh.
Speaker 3: When you commentate in football at GB oftentimes you'll find yourself You'll say things or players for when you're move into the video, you hear yourself talking and you go, okay, that's where I got it from. You hear the coach in your voice, I want to have the most influence. Who's that for you?
Speaker 2: Probably Desi? Yeah, I just yeah. I loved Desi as a coach. I loved his work ethic. I loved his his loyalty to his players, how protective he was. You know, there were certain journalists that weren't allowed in the film or at stage is because they'd written a bad story about one of the boys. Or but yeah, the way he worked, but the way his game plans and were so detailed, and you would I would go out and it was almost like I knew the opposition better than they knew themselves. And that level of confidence that brought to my game made me a better player. And you know, Desi's a unique character. The general public don't get to see what Desi is actually like because when the cameras aren't in front of him, he's completely differ and he's quite quite funny. Lives around the corner that he was. He's bought in Klamer, He's bought in Clamber.
Speaker 3: He yeah a lot of people. He is very mysterious man. People don't know he's a neist. We get up this morning and he'd be flailing about.
Speaker 2: In the addition, well, the fun the funny stories was when because he got the house there with a picket fence, and then the beach. Whenever there was big, big surf mate, he would be on a knife's edge at training, he'd be pacing and we're like, what's the matter mate? He goes on, might lose my house today. We're like, well you shouldt to build it on a fucking beach. Build a brick wall, break wall.
Speaker 3: Someone built a breakball know where it appeared from. But when he bought the before he bought the house, he got all the he went good, all this the reports from the council to see as far as flooding and tides over the course of one hundred years, and he measured it out everything and by that makes sense.
Speaker 1: What about the going back to the roosters for re sect, because I remember when you spoke about Brett doing his knee, because that was I don't know if it was he'd already announced it was going to be his last year.
Speaker 2: No, we both didn't say it like that. He did his knee and then about a week later announced it.
Speaker 1: But had you so because I remember when he was spoken about it flashed to you guys in there. You were sitting next to him, and he's pretty like visibly upset. Did you boys both sort of know, look, this is probably going to be our last late last year in the NRL.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'd spoken about it. We both kind of agreed that it was going to be our last year.
Speaker 1: And then when he what do you what do you feel in the in the locker rooms after when you just.
Speaker 2: Because he was playing really good football as well, like he was on fire that year. I think he'd already scored about seven or eight tries and yeah, he was just in a really good, good place and playing some good football. And then just a tackle that went wrong and you could see that his knee was like I ran straight away and like he's pretty tough, Like he's pretty tough Breton, like when I saw him, and I'm like, nah, this isn't good. And then it's funny. They came over to him, they said, oh, do you want the medicab? He goes, if this is the last thing I ever do, I'm not fucking getting the manicab off the field. I'll fucking I'll live around. And I scored a try later in that game, and you can see him as I'm going in to score it. They have the camera from the side. You can see him getting carried off looking at me scoring the dry ended up scoring a hat trick that night, and you know, whilst I was happy, I was absolutely shattered. And we drove to the game that night, so that car ride home you can imagine, wasn't the nicest and I'm cramping up and I'm just like, I'm in a fever of painty. But I'm not fucking saying a word wins And I don't know what he's feeling because I've never done an ACL before, but to end your career, but I think the the relief I guess that his career was over and that he achieved everything that he wanted to do in the game, like he walked away happy.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I remember that. I don't know if it was the same year or whether it was the year before, but it was. It's one of the best games that I've ever seen. I was eighteenth man for Melbourne. The field field goal and it was that was twenty twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: It wasn't Magic ground.
Speaker 1: It wasn't because there was no crowd there. Yeah, it was no crowd. You couldn't have a crowd and it was COVID tragic ground. It was. It was one of the best. It was actually one of the best games I've ever seen in my life. It was Ryan Pappin. I think you guys kicked a kicked a penalty. Cole flannagain kicked a penalty goal put you ahead. And then I think Cameron Smith got a penalty from in front and kicked. Oh no, Ryan Pappenhausen.
Speaker 2: No, I think Friendy gave away a penalty maybe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he kicked it. But then Ryan papenhaus And kicked a field goal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, broke your heart. That was yeah, and the storm games between when I was at the Roosters because obviously Grand Final rematches they were they were awesome games to be a part of the intensity there. But yeah, that that one was a great game. And yeah, pulled it in there with that one. But I think I got a double that night as well, So it was a hard one.
Speaker 1: I remember you scored and soon broke you back.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean if I had a neck, you would have taken it off.
Speaker 1: Yeh, lucky you're all you go straight from head to shoulder.
Speaker 2: I think I scored a lot of tries because they tried to pull pull the shoulder and got nothing.
Speaker 1: James, mate, A look, we've taken our too much time. You know, it's a far drive for you to come over. Mate, you are it is a long drive, but appreciate you.
Speaker 2: It's a pleasure.
Speaker 1: What what I you know? We had a we had a bottle of wine that we actually bought you as a gift, but Dad drank it.
Speaker 2: Else. Actually, just what are your thoughts on this? So I've got my name on the drink bottle, but I've got my phone number on the back. I'm not going to turn it around. So you think it's a good idea about you, but.
Speaker 3: I think it's really bad.
Speaker 2: This is the reason I did it right. So I had another one of these. I was at a golf day and I was keenan out of wards and then I went righty oh, I got to go and went straight out after that and left it there. I didn't realize until I was almost home, and I called one of the boys who was there and said, no, I've left. But if I had had it on the table with my phone number on it, someone would have went, oh, he's left it here. I'll give him a quick call I could have.
Speaker 3: Got, Josh, can I just suggest this? It's a fucking water bottle.
Speaker 2: It's a good one, and I hate no. But do you know how you like you grow up and you're like, I don't want to be like my dad. Like my dad would write in permanent texture on like everything, everything, and you used to hate it. And I'm doing the exact same thing, even with my water bottle.
Speaker 1: I'm like, yeah, okay, don't worry dad. Dad says, it's the only thing that if you want to get under Dad's skin, because he is slowing them morph into his father Gary, Like just with little things like oh, mate, you know you want directions to the A bridge. We'll go out of here and go left and you'll explain the whole direction. Then I go, that's right down. I got Google Maps. I don't need to explain it. But it's the one thing that if you say to Dad, oh Jesus, slowly turning into Gary, it just gets right on you.
Speaker 3: Trish, that's my father there. Of course. Yes, the one was like doctor Spock picture of the picture of the air the old Man when he was player back in the day. But yeah, she gets something and that's her go to and it's funny because I can't say, well, you're