Speaker 1: I'll get a team. It's Craig, Anthony Heart, Tiffany and Cook, Patrick, James Bonillo. It is you projected as a Friday. As we record, it's five minutes past nine here in the thriving metropolis of Melbourne where Tiffany and Cook is. It's nineteen eighty four and it's about nine ninety eight where Patrick is.
Speaker 2: Hi everyone, Hi, Hi, gee, that was two in one go.
Speaker 3: That's two.
Speaker 1: I've just come in off the long run and I've just released a fastball tiff House, Tassi.
Speaker 4: I've literally just come in off a long run. See I've read my faces.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was looking at your face. I'm thinking you're either really embarrassed or you've been doing something where your heart rate's over one hundred.
Speaker 3: It definitely is like running.
Speaker 4: How good is it?
Speaker 3: Though?
Speaker 1: How far you right?
Speaker 3: It is?
Speaker 1: What's your hard you run?
Speaker 3: I run ten cays and what's your heart rate? Well?
Speaker 4: I got a little message on my garm and my ma's heart rate just got increased to two oh one.
Speaker 3: So what is it now?
Speaker 2: We should track it in five minutes, Craig, go and then incrementally see what.
Speaker 1: It depends how long ago she stopped like if she stopped three minutes ago, that would be interesting, but if she stopped ten minutes ago, it wouldn't be How long, goo, did you.
Speaker 4: Finish fifteen minutes ago?
Speaker 3: There you go?
Speaker 1: So what's your heart rate right now? Can I guess?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Sixty one?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: What is it ninety? I actually have a high working heart rate. My resting heart rates fifty right now luck this week, right now. But when I move and exercise it goes up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's not necessarily what's yours? Patrick? I see you looking at your bloody data there on your wrist.
Speaker 2: Well, my heart rate at the moment is varying between about sixty if it's actually going up now it was sixty two, it's now gone up to sixty four. But my average is fifty three. So what is it about?
Speaker 3: Sitting in the room with you too, I'll tell you what I'm going to take.
Speaker 1: Don't you look at it. I'm going to take my shirt off and then let's see what happens.
Speaker 3: And then can Tiff take her shirt off?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: See, I nearly didn't put it on. I was that hot.
Speaker 4: I only that's why I was a little bit later I thought I'd better put my shirt on.
Speaker 1: I think thanks for that. We're a family show.
Speaker 3: It's got to seventy four. What the hell have you even not off yet? It was Gus about it.
Speaker 1: That's the thought of my pets being on the screen.
Speaker 3: You's going back now, it's going higher.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you couldn't fucking cope, bro, Patrick, how's life in the bush? You know?
Speaker 2: As I wandered down to my little studio, I picked an apple from the tree as I sat down.
Speaker 3: I mean, isn't life great?
Speaker 1: I know? I'll tell you what. There's no one in not too many people in suburbia picking an apple on the way to their podcast studio, that is, or their recording studio. I don't think I've ever heard that sentence, and probably never will again, Tiff, just before we talk about actual things, have you seen your granddad yet?
Speaker 3: No? Not yet.
Speaker 4: He's out for a country to drive today with some friends before they go back to wherever they came from.
Speaker 1: And how's one hundred and one looking on him?
Speaker 4: Mate? How exciting?
Speaker 1: Really good?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh that's amazing.
Speaker 4: Yeah he's kicking it. Wow, mate, I am good.
Speaker 3: Geens that helps doesn't when?
Speaker 2: Yeah, look at that for a lineage pedigree.
Speaker 3: He's Luna what have you done with Luna while you're away?
Speaker 4: She's here with me. Yeah, come on the boat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny, isn't it because they have two new ships because you had to put Luna in a little pound though, didn't you during the voyage? Because you know the new ships that they've built that are currently I think on'es in Norway ones in Scotland, they're now like two or three years away. But the thing is you were able to have in the new ships. You're going to be able to go from Victoria Tasmane and back and have your dog in the cabin with you.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm, how good? Sayd I can't wait.
Speaker 1: You can't pull the obvious question. I'm not even going to ask it, but can you answer the obvious question?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: Or come on?
Speaker 3: I don't know what's the obvious question? Well?
Speaker 1: Ship the dog shit?
Speaker 2: Well you dogs trained, Fritz will go for nine hours without having to go.
Speaker 4: There's no reted area on the ship where they can take them for we wiz.
Speaker 1: Yes, do they call that the ship shipping area?
Speaker 3: Holy ship? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Holy ship? All right, let's talk about technology, because that that's our that's our mission, that's allegedly our mission every time.
Speaker 2: Mate, Look, I just you know, I was reading social media gets me a little bit riled. Okay, so I stopped social media. I think about eight years ago. I stopped using it personally. And it is a to get caught up in the momentum of comments because once upon a time, journalism was filtered. You had an editor and anything that was published was vetted before it went. Now with social media, it's like a you know, it's electronic vomit. Anybody can say anything at any time, and it sparks debate. And I was reading an article yesterday and flicking doom scrolling, and it was an article in reaction to a radio segment where people were getting really riled up about taking your dogs to Bunnings. So for about eight years, the Bunnings hardware store allows people to take their dogs.
Speaker 3: So Fritzy comes with me all the time.
Speaker 2: I love taking Fritzy to Bunnings and I put him into the trolley and everyone loves Fritzy, so people come over and pat him, and kids, you know, love him. He's a great cute little dog and he's well behaved. But it sparked all this controversy. But the article that was published was just in reaction to this radio segment, so really the journalist hadn't done any work.
Speaker 3: It was just oating segments.
Speaker 2: And what fascinated me was there are probably about seventy comments, and I started flicking through the comments, and what really got me was the anger, the absolute anger and angst at people firing off at each other. So someone said, oh, I can bring the dog, but you know, you shouldn't let kids because kids are worse than pets. And other people were saying, and I've seen dogs dogs pee on the you know, on the products, and Buddings has this philosophy that basically most dogs are actually well behaved. If you're going to bring them into a large place like bunings, most people do the right thing and it's very rare. And if they do have an accident, well they have clean up crews and that you can get a dog bag and clean clean up after them. So they just take that approach. But there it was so vehement, and it's not so much the topic of whether you should or shouldn't take dogs into places like buntings, because if you go to Europe, you can take your dog anywhere. You can go to a restaurant and if your dog's well behaved, sits on the ground. You had a really nice restaurant that in Vienna. It was amazing, a really high class restaurant, and the people we were meeting had a dog and it was fantastic. And because I like to take my dog with me, then there's the idea of companion dogs or support dogs. But what got me more so it wasn't so much the debate but the anger and just the fiery tension between the respondents. You know, you've got the yes side the no side, but the personal digs were people were making at each other.
Speaker 3: So what causes that frenzy? And it does?
Speaker 2: I mean you've probably seen those sorts of threads or those comments or reactions on socials where people just get so irate. And then it made me think, well, I was going to respond because as you know, I'm a passionate dog owner. Fritzy sitting right next to me in my chair. But the reality of it is I started to type and I thought, what am I going to achieve by having to go at this person for saying what they did or you know, trying to exercise my opinion?
Speaker 3: And I just pulled back from it.
Speaker 2: I deleted the message and I thought, I just don't want to engage people.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, maybe because you don't do social media, Tiff and I are going, yeah, of course, Patrick, this is what social media like. This is not I don't mean to be rude. This is no revelation at all. Like this is all day, every day on social media. It's interesting. But look, here's what I think. I mean, it's a revelation and it's interesting for you, and it's good for me to see that because I'm like, I'm so used to that and desensitized to that, and that's I'm like, well, of course, but here's what you did that's great is you consciously went I'm not giving this my attention or energy. And I think that's the like the good and bad of social media is like I have over one hundred thousand followers on social media and I only put good things into the world, and ninety nine percent of the feedback that I get is positive ninety nine percent, So I think it depends like to me ultimately, can you hear that ambulance you guys? No?
Speaker 3: Right mate?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, pretty good?
Speaker 3: It wasn't for you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, thanks, yeah, you hang on, am I having a heart noe? But I think, like, ultimately, what is social media? It's a technology that we can use. It's a resource and if you want to, you know, it's like you can kill someone with a knife or make your dinner with a knife. Like ultimately most of them think most of the things that we have or kill someone and then make them your dinner. Yeah, sure there's that, but I wouldn't recommend it. But it's like all of these things are just tools and resources. So I don't know that social media is arbitrarily bad or that it's all vomit. I don't think the stuff I put into the world via social media, I'm using the same platforms that all the hate is on, but I choose to put positive stuff. So I think it's personal responsibility. I don't follow any of the horrible, ugly, you know, bullshitty ones, and if it comes, something comes, I just scroll past or I delete it. I think it's about using it consciously. But you do raise a good point, like so much of what is on there is fucking horrible, but you've got to self regulate.
Speaker 2: I was more thinking also in terms of whether you engage or not, and I almost did, and then I really stepped back from it.
Speaker 3: I thought it through. It's funny.
Speaker 2: I a friend of mine was, you know when you send when someone sends an angry letter, they called it a shitt agram.
Speaker 3: I just really hit a gram fun it's funny. Yeah, I thought that was quite funny.
Speaker 2: But the problem with putting anything in writing is that if you get angry in writing, you can I can get angry with you right now, and then we'll shake hands about it, and you know, buy each other a coffee and we'll be fine. But if you put it in writing, then you go back to it two days later and you reread it and just as angry as you were the first time you read it, and then again and you get more angry, and you read it again, and it keeps firing you up. And we have a little internal policy in my office that if you feel riled and you're going to send a challenging email, you never put the email address in to the person you're either responding to. So if you hit reply, take their email address out, get it out on paper if you feel you need to, or type it up or whatever. But generally, if you walk away ten spend five minutes and then come back to it it Actually you've calmed down. I mean my heart rate dropped down to fifty two just a moment ago. So whatever it was that was riled me up that not you know, the thought of your shirt coming off or something.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but you.
Speaker 1: Know, I mean, yeah, like what this is getting off topic. We'll get on tech, but this is my little wheelhouse. You know. It's like everyone thinks they're right. Yeah, Like, this is the thing, whatever side you're on, religious, political, whatever the issue, whatever the topic. Nobody who's writing that thing, whatever angle or approach or perspective they have, nobody thinks they're wrong. And this is the problem, you know, Like I now, after getting things wrong, something's wrong and something's right. For sixty years, I pretty much assume that anything that I say, there's the potential that I'm wrong about it, you know, or anything for which I don't have absolute evidence or proof, Like if it's an opinion or an idea or a theory, I'm well aware that I could be wrong, and so I try not to wrap too much emotion around it and go, look, this is what I think, and this is why I think it. But I could be wrong. You know, I think like a world where people don't have to be right all the time. We're never going to live in that world. But fuck, that'd be a nicer place to inhabit, wouldn't it.
Speaker 3: But isn't it interesting?
Speaker 2: Though? We were talking about your thesis, and the whole premise of sign is that you challenge, You always put up and propose new ideas, and nothing is ever definitely, infinitely written in stone as such, is it?
Speaker 1: YEA, Yeah, that's true. I mean science is always evolving, and knowledge is always evolving, and the way that we design studies and run studies and interpret data, and I think, look, it depends on the science. You know, when you talk about biology and physiology and engineering and all of those things, they're like hard sciences, whereas psychology is ah and I love psychology, but it's very It's hard to measure the mind because there is no such thing as onto logically, which means there's no actual evidence for a mind. But we're studying the mind and the workings of the mind because all of the kind of processing actually happens in the brain. So when you do it, even if I said this yes on a podcast, but if you do a search. If you go to any AI thing and say is there evidence Is there scientific, hard evidence that the mind exists, it'll say no, because all thinking and all data processing and all interpretation actually happens in the brain. So the mind, as we understand it, it's a concept that helps us decode the workings of the brain. And it's not a bad thing. But yeah, anyway, come.
Speaker 3: On, all right.
Speaker 2: I heard a new term the other day, digital shoplifting, and it kind of blew my mind a little bit.
Speaker 3: I hadn't ever thought about this.
Speaker 2: So there was a bit of a research study that was done and it was about a lot of wealthy gen zs and millennials.
Speaker 3: This is in the US, and evidently.
Speaker 2: Half of them, who were earning over one hundred thousand dollars US, have admitted to digital shoplifting.
Speaker 3: What's digital shoplifting? You ask, think, yes, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yes, what Patrick, Hey, I have a question? What's digital shoplifting?
Speaker 3: I'm glad you asked, Craig.
Speaker 2: So, what happens is if you go online and you make a purchase and that item arrives, you then go back to the seller and say item didn't arrive, item was broken, item got lost, and then in a lot of cases, the online resellers will basically do you a refund or send you another item. So it's people being deceptive and there's not a lot of recourse. This is really interesting because if I walked into a shop.
Speaker 1: And I feel like we shouldn't be sharing this information, I feel like you're encouraging bad behavior because.
Speaker 3: We've got the best listeners. Ever, no one's going to do that.
Speaker 1: There's a few dodgy motherfuckers that listen. Don't worry about that. You know who you are.
Speaker 2: So anyway, so Craig is going to go out and buy a new motorbike tomorrow exactly. So it would never have occurred to me, Am I just like naive or something. But they say half half of these people will earn over one hundred thousand US. That's probably nearly two hundred thousand Australian. And in fact, I think the Australian dollars dropped again, so.
Speaker 1: I think it's a million Australian, it's ten million Australian.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but isn't that interesting? Do you think it's a mindset? I don't know how you could kind of, you know, kind of define this. And also how you could justify it because I think one of the problems when you order online, you're not seeing the shopkeeper. You know, if I walk into someone's store and the owner of the store standing right there, it's going to be really hard to steal from somebody who's a person, who's someone you can relate to, who's working hard, who's packing boxes, and you know, and there's obviously obviously making.
Speaker 3: A living out of what they're doing.
Speaker 2: But that whole fire wall that break, you know, the digital divide between you and the other person, whether it's social media and making a I meant to another person's name and not actually seeing them in public. Because when we were talking about social media a moment ago, a lot of what people say they probably wouldn't say to their face if you were standing in a room together, or certainly the you know, the dialogue wouldn't be as heated because you have an opportunity to be able to interact with the person, and it's that you're introducing the personality and the humanity of the person.
Speaker 3: And I guess in the same way because.
Speaker 2: People you know, and I know we're kind of targeting Gen zs and millennials, but the reality of it is anybody can do this online, and I think there is a separation. If it's on Amazon, it's like this big company. I can justify myself.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, you make a very good point. And I think that, yeah, because it's it's like there's nothing really personal, there's no emotional you're not seeing another human, you're not interacting with another human. Typically. Yeah, look, I I think. I mean, I've owned lots of businesses and some you know, I've had people steal from me a lot and people you wouldn't think, Yeah, so I don't have and it sounds cynical and negative. I'm not trying to be. But my experience is that people, even people close to you, will steal if they think they can steal and get away with it, which people are going to say, I can't believe you would say it's very negative.
Speaker 3: It's not.
Speaker 1: No, I'm literally just reporting what has happened. I have a quick story, right, and it's about who would steal and like trust And you think, so I went to I went away to do a gig and I was staying in a staying in New Zealand, and I trained at this big, amazing gym and I had a bunch of stuff. I've think.
Speaker 2: Can I just say something before you go on? We actually have spoken about this that's wrong with the cameras and the guyings. I apologize sorry listeners, Yeah, go back to a previous episode because it was it's actually a really good story.
Speaker 3: But short of it is that new camera.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Sorry that they thought they could anyway, he thought one or two of his staff was stealing, and the bottom line was they were nearly all stealing, all of them. Yeah, you know, even like friends and shit. So given the opportunity to steal, I think sometimes and I think also when stuff like you're talking about, maybe they don't. I think they don't even think of that as stealing. Yeah, it's like they would never think I'm a thief, but it's literally stealing.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think the only thing you can steal Crago is your heart.
Speaker 1: Oh god, no, no, you can definitely steal money. I'm interested in cars. Of course, as you know, Tesla is not going great in Australia at the moment.
Speaker 2: Oh look, there's always a slump at the start of the year, so there's always a bit of a glitch in the car market, particularly with Tesla. So there's always been this traditional drop, but it's been bigger than usual. And look, a lot of people are putting it down to the whole tech bro thing with the election in the US, and there's been a real shift away from Elon Musk. And he's forever connected with the Tesla company. So when you buy a Tesla, I guess there's a real sense that there's that close connection to Elon Musk.
Speaker 3: It's his company, and you know, there's been.
Speaker 2: I guess, a real kickback to the way that Elon Musk has presented himself his alignment with Donald Trump. And they're really saying now that that's been like we're talking a drop of sixty percent below the same time last year.
Speaker 3: It's a massive slump in the market.
Speaker 2: I think they only sold about five hundred cars this month or something last month, so it's been a big drop. And I did a bit of a search because I don't know if you've seen the bumper stickers on some Tesla's now people are putting bumper stickers on their car saying I bought this before we knew I was crazy. It's like a disclaimer and I have I saw one on the gar and Mel that where someone was driving a Tesla and.
Speaker 3: There was a story somewhere.
Speaker 2: It might might have been in the US where a guy had bought a Tesla and then he returned it and said I don't want it anymore. I mean, it's pretty extreme, but I thought that was really interesting that that, you know, you can have such a negative impact just by the way you're presented, and that could you know, mean well impact on the car.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know, because I don't know that correlation is causation. Like also, what's happened in the last year or two in Australia is a massive influx of other electric cars, like yeah, yeah, like byd who basically have a car which is as good or better than a Tesla three for about twenty grand cheaper. So you could be right, But I don't know. The fact that some people think that Elon's crazy and the numbers are down, I don't know that like that that is the cause. It could be, but I think it's more nuanced than that. I mean, there are huge amount you know, when Tesla was stand alone, they had no competition, and now in Australia and all around the world, there's vast competition from lots of other brands who are producing more and more incredible cars for significantly less, and some of them with up to ten year warranties like.
Speaker 3: But the article I did take that into consideration.
Speaker 2: They did show and they talked about the Australian market having a slump in terms of Tesla sales now that we're getting flooded with Chinese car makers, But that was taken into account. So even when you look at the trajectory of the ev market starting to get a real momentum with Chinese cars, that still didn't account for the bigger drop than usual in January of those sales. So I think it plays a little bit of a part. But you're absolutely right, it's amazing what the influx of Chinese cars on the market are reasonable prices because previously, you know, three years ago, I bought my hybrid car, but I probably would have now.
Speaker 3: In hindsight, probably would have bought an electric.
Speaker 2: And this is an interesting one too, because a lot of people are resistant to the idea of getting electric because there's this notion that they don't last as long. And a little bit of research that came out recently was saying that the average electric car will have an eighteen year life span, which is not dissimilar to the most petrol cars as well, So in terms of longevity of the vehicle, it's not that much. The only real hindrance I think for a lot of people is the charging time. It's getting better, so there are more cars, and you're talking about the Chinese cars. There are some that can almost go to full charge in twenty minutes. But then again, I'm not going to stand at a petrol bowser for twenty minutes.
Speaker 1: To you, No, no, I'm definitely not. No, I've joined the hybrid clan like you. It's fucking ridiculous. My car gets twelve hundred kilometers on it on a tank. Yeah, that's so ridiculous. Like it goes so far, like you could drive from Melbourne to Sydney and halfway back. Yeah, super efficient.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now that that's pretty amazing stuff. Mike, car certainly hasn't got that sort of range, but it's pretty good. Seven hundred kilometers is more than most electric cars out on the road. It's probably, you know, in the ninety fifth percentile. There's no chance that an electric are at this stage just going to have that sort of that sort of range. And as you say, if I wanted to drive to Adelaide, no problem, and if I want to stop, you know, I can fill up the tank and a how long does it take to fill up the tank?
Speaker 3: You know, I don't know, a few minutes and you're off and running again. So to speak.
Speaker 1: I reckon right now with just an opinion, I reckon hybrid is the I think that's the best option at the moment. I think moving forward that will probably change. But speaking of cars, tell me about the self fixing pothole mechanism or I can't see it, but I read it before.
Speaker 3: How cool is this?
Speaker 1: This is some recently there we go self healing road.
Speaker 2: I know, I started reading into this and it kind of is almost creepy at the same time. So in Swansea, right at the university there, what they're trying to do is in bed tiny plant spores mixed into the bitchumen and they say to'll extend the life span of bitchmen by thirty percent.
Speaker 3: Because what happens is you get cracks in the.
Speaker 2: Road and then they fill with water, and when the water gets into the cracks, that causes pockets of water.
Speaker 3: And that's what breaks down the bitchumen.
Speaker 2: But what they're saying is with the plant spores, once a crack appears, the spores then enlarge and fill up the hole, so you don't get water into the potholes. So it means that you'll get less potholes, so in a way, it is self healing.
Speaker 3: It's really cool tech, isn't it?
Speaker 1: And smart?
Speaker 3: Yeah, isn't that great? And I thought, how interesting is that?
Speaker 2: So you know, using that biotech and the other thing too, of course, because bitchumin is petrochemical, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, whereas you know, using plant spores. I mean, I know it's not going to replace bitjumen, but certainly I thought it was an amazing concept.
Speaker 3: I love how.
Speaker 2: People come up with these ideas. Where would that in your wildest dream would you even have conceived of that of a way to extend the life of bitchumen by putting sports.
Speaker 1: I can barely time my fucking shoes, so don't I mean, don't look to me for anything innovative. So the thing I was going to say that the term on everybody's lips, but that's not true. But the thing that's taken a lot of people's attention or curiosity over the last few weeks is a thing called deep Seek. I know what it is. Maybe some of our listeners don't know what it is, but what's the story around that? Firstly, tell our list is what it is and what's going on with that?
Speaker 2: Wow, this is so controversial versual. So deep Seek I think it came out in about November last year and it was a bit of it kind of sat around for a little bit. It's a Chinese AI, the equivalent of chat GPT. Now what's caused the biggest stir is the amount of money they claim to make. Deep Seek was actually a lot less. I mean we're talking a fraction fraction fraction of the cost because at the moment to make an AI, you need to use in Video chips. Now, in Video is the company that manufactures the best quality chips in the world microchips, and they are the most wealthy company in the world in terms of how much their company is worth. So when this and then what the American government was doing was restricting the sale of in Vidia chips to China to prevent China from developing your Chinese companies from developing their own AI. And this is kind of cool in a little way. The guy who's behind this new AI, the Chinese AI, actually studied in Australia, so there's a little kind of local link for us as well. I think he started in Melbourne. Yeah, so effectively, this amazing deep Seak comes out. It's cheaper and they've used old chips, so they haven't gone for the new stuff. They haven't been able to purchase it or get access to it. So they've managed to do what no one else could possibly have envisaged they could do. So everyone said, you can't do it, you can't build an AI platform that's powerful using old chips, and they did it. And this is what they're claiming that they were able to do. And so they've released deep Seek and I think what made the momentum and suddenly it hit the media is it peaked in the downloads for phones, so in the app stores suddenly, all because it was November last year or so that it got launched and no one thought about it, no one said anything, and then all of a sudden, it's just peaking with all these downloads. But on the end of this, the company in video, their stocks plummeted once this came out because really, oh, I mean it wiped billions of dollars off their share market. I mean it's since climbed its way back and now there's kind of these protectionist methods. The Australian government government came out this week and said no one working in government is allowed to have Deep seek on their phones, on government phones, on government computers. Other countries are doing the same thing because what they're suggesting is because it's a Chinese company, it's also a backdoor for all the information on your device to go back to Beijing. There's this real paranoia and look, I don't know, I can't say yes or no. I'm not a tech person in terms of the back end technology, but there's a real fear with the Chinese tech and Chinese AI that some of this is actually going to go back. So the information you're putting in there, the device that you're using potentially may have and this is proven, but it may have a backdoor that's sending your information to Beijing. Because we know that the regime in China has quite rigid constraints on tech companies, because the oversight is very different in China, the landscape there, the monitoring, the requirements so we really don't know what goes on. China is a very fascinating country. It's you know, there's so much interest around China, and as you know with my Tai Chi, I love the culture and I love that side of it. But there's still you know, when you think about the regime that's running the country and the oversight that's there, it asks all the questions and it begs the questions what happens with these products that are launched by supposedly independent companies and how much oversight is there by Beijing and how many requirements are there for that data to be given back to Beijing.
Speaker 1: Well I'm not nervous at all. Now, thanks for that, noble. I'll tell you there's quite a bit of Ai stuff.
Speaker 2: Tell me what ghost say one think now before you do about deep deep Seek. This is the creepiest and weirdest little article I read a couple of weeks ago, so I'm just kind of rejigged in my head. But what they found someone was doing some searches and they found that what deep Seek was doing was merging English and Chinese. So I don't know if you've known people who speak multi who are multilingual right. So in fact, actually you met some friends of mine the other day at a cafe and there's Chris who appeared on the show who when he was on work Experience, I made him do all the work and the research and we realized I was a fraud. And yeah, anyway, so exploiter of you know, a young labor, labor not unlike China. Let's say, well.
Speaker 1: That's your bloody, that's your oriental influence.
Speaker 3: Oriental influence.
Speaker 1: Okay, I was trying to tye to the influence, I should say.
Speaker 2: Anyway, so when you meet people. What I loved about so when Chris was growing up, his mother's German and he's his father's Australian. And what they did when they brought up the kids was they got them to learn both languages.
Speaker 3: So people who are multilingual.
Speaker 2: Sometimes when you know, when we think, we think in English. And what's always fascinated me is when people who are able to really speak two languages or more than one language, are able to switch the way that they can think and be able to think in a different language. But what I find even more fascinating is I've had conversations or I've seen Chris talking where he jumps from one language to another. So some languages are more descriptive than others, so sometimes you can answer. So you know the German word schardenfreuder, I love because it basically means happiness at the misfortune of others. It's a very funny word. But the thing is there's no equivalent in English. So if you have a sharden freud a moment or pardon me sarten for it, a moment and someone you don't like trips over in the gutto or something like that, and you look over and you have a bit of a chuckle. You don't cause them to fall over, but you laugh at them because you don't really like them that much. And something happened to them was bad karma, right, So that's sharden freuder. So there's no English word. But what happened I know this. I'm telling a very long story here, apologies. So what happened was deep sex. You shut you shut down my New Zealand story. They didn't shut it down. I just put it on pause. So Deep Seek started thinking in Chinese and English. And there's a real fear now with people who look into this, that maybe AI can develop its own language. If AI develops its own language, which means it could think more quickly, then we won't understand it. So when artificial intelligence is able to create its own language and it's there, there's a potential there, and that's what they saw with deep Seek, then potentially, if it's creating its own language, we're locked out of the equation. We no longer can understand the way it's thinking.
Speaker 1: Of course, I fuck yes at one hundred percent, like that shit is about twelve months away from being sentient, from being conscious, from having like people think I'm being funny. No, like AI will have its own version of consciousness and awareness, and it will independently think in inverted commas and make decisions because I mean everyone everyone who knows anything about AI, as in the people that at the Gurus, they will tell you that right now it's as smart as humans or smarter obviously it's got a lot to draw on, but that in the not too distant future, it will like we will be relegated to the second smartest in inverted commas species. And I know it's not a species, but it is its own form of intelligence. And this presents a whole raft of interesting ethical moral like conversations around and what that what that impact because I think most of us think that the technology for the most part is a positive. I don't know about that. I think definitely there are positives, but I think there's shit that's going to happen that that maybe one day mankind, sorry humankind, will go what the fuck? What the fuck were we thinking?
Speaker 2: You know, the thing I can see the application of AI is amazing and the ability to be able to do so many great things. And you said this earlier in the show. You know, if you know you can use a knife to cook with and then you can use a knife to cause harm and exactly the same way.
Speaker 3: That's how technology is being employed. You know, when it makes.
Speaker 2: Our roads safer, when we can kind of detect if a driver is about to fall asleep at the wheel, you know, that could be one using an AI algorithm with a camera pointing And this is available right now.
Speaker 3: So I guess that's the concern.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't know about you, but you know you were you were referring to the concept of a mind and if AI becomes sentient, then how do you turn it off? Because is there an ethical aspect to it? If you've got an entity that then is self aware, Then where's an obligation on us not to turn it off? Isn't there because you're effectively killing an AI or killing an entity?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, there are so many. I don't think there's an easy answer to that, but it's fucking fascinating conversation. Is it alive? Well, it does it have a nervous system. Can it feel physical pain? No, you know, can it feel emotional pain? Well, you wouldn't think it has emotions. Could it simulate emotions, yes, I wouldn't think it can have emotions. It definitely can't feel physical pain. It doesn't have you know, spiritual people would say, well it doesn't have a soul whatever that might or might not mean. And I just think, you know, sometimes sometimes we've got to be a little bit selfish and go fuck the feelings of AI. Like we're talking about eight billion people on a planet that we need to you know, you don't want to wake up one one day, like humanity doesn't want to wake up one day and the fucking tech overlords are running the show, you know.
Speaker 3: Eliminator Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean yeah, Hey.
Speaker 2: What was the new Zealand story. What were we going to say about New Zealand before? Then when I don even starts, what do you mean I told you? I told you, you said, you've told it before.
Speaker 3: Oh, that one. You're going to say something else and I catch you.
Speaker 1: Oh, I definitely wasn't. I saw something that I wanted to ask you about cultivated meat before you tell us about that? Would you the vegan? Would you eat cultivated meat because nothing's suffering and there's no pain.
Speaker 2: No, because I think in the time. So I went vegetarian initially for ten years and then became vegan for the last four years. And what motivated me was obviously animal cruelty initially, but I think as an extension of that, I've now felt a little bit of a revulsion to eating meat because there's a thought process about it coming from an animal. So the concept of eating an animal product, actually I find there's a bit of a barrier to that. I'm doing a vegan cooking class tonight. By the way, Craig, I thought you might be interested if you want to come down.
Speaker 1: As in your taking it or your partner.
Speaker 2: No, No, I'm terrible. I'm an awful vegan. I can't I come terrible cook? Now I'm going to a class to learn how to cook better.
Speaker 1: Look, I'll do my best to be then.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the thing.
Speaker 1: I think my belly button might need a tending to. But I'll get back to you.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't entertain the idea of reducing your meat intake. What's your take on meat intake?
Speaker 1: You keep talking about I'm going to fucking increase it, So steady on, tell us about tell us about video door bell? What's there? I think I need one of those video doorbell.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've got a ring doorbell.
Speaker 2: What I like about it is that now that I've got my studio in the garage out the back of the property, because I'm on a quarter acre block, which doesn't sound like a lot, but it's a fairly large block, and it.
Speaker 1: Means that's in suburbia. That's a veritable farm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's pretty.
Speaker 2: And I was picking apples on the way here, by the way, because my stone fruit aren't ready.
Speaker 1: So is that a humble brag?
Speaker 3: I think it is.
Speaker 2: It's nice to have stuff that you can pick out of your garden. I've got what else have I got at the moment, I've got Oregon. I've got lots of herbs. That's always good.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I'm digressing.
Speaker 1: It's an that paper folding thing. That's omi I just checking.
Speaker 3: Is what you put in your vegan bowlines?
Speaker 4: All right? If you could cook?
Speaker 3: Can I cook well? Have all these herbs? And we're a rudimentary cook. A little bit of way of putting it.
Speaker 2: Look, we're all three single people. Where would you rate yourself on the cooking scale.
Speaker 1: Perhaps I can actually cook quite well, but I'm lazy. I can cook quite well because I've lived by myself for two hundred years. But the whole thing of getting a whole lot of shit and chopping and preparing and sauteing and above for me. Also, I'm fortunate that I live with it literally within one kilometer of forty restaurants and.
Speaker 2: From your place to the cafe across the road, there's actually been a channel woven into the bitumen from you just walking back?
Speaker 1: Are you you haven't seen it? I've got a flying fox from the office. I just fucking zip line across there like a fucking ninja.
Speaker 3: That would not surprise me.
Speaker 1: Tell me about it. Tell me about these video doorbells.
Speaker 2: Okay, we finished on the we started talking about the meat. Were talking about the meat. The doorbells.
Speaker 1: We can do bar all right, we'll finish on them up. So tell me what's going on with this new labeling for cultivated meat. Sorry, sorry, it's once you started talking about vegans myself in the face.
Speaker 3: So the Swiss.
Speaker 2: Organization, right, they have a thing called a V label. It's a little leaf logo and basically it certifies whether a product is vegan and vegetarian. But now that I come up with the SA label, excuse mete for cultivated meat. So the idea is you get you get donor cells from a cow and you grow them, and you end up with a steak that's been grown rather than cut from a cow and you know, slaughtered the cow. You've just grown it from these cultured these cultured cells. The thing is, it's even though it sounds like it's highly processed, it isn't. You know, you're just doing exactly what the body does. You're you're using donor cells that can then replicate and then they grow into whatever it is, you know, in this case of steak, So it's not overly processed and the amount of water needed, the amount of input needed to be able to grow the steak down the track. They think it's going to be much better for the environment using cultivated meat. Would you eat a cultivated meat steak if it was available to you side by side with another surline?
Speaker 1: No, why, I don't want to.
Speaker 2: But but if you knew it was better for the planet, if you knew that an animal hadn't been slaughtered and b it used a lot less water, a lot less resources, it wasn't belching out cock.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I'm not giving you the answer you want. How dare I not agree with you?
Speaker 3: No, Tiff? Would you? Would you try one? At least?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 3: Just it weeds me out that it's been grown.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just think you're interfering with everything. Something something I reckon.
Speaker 1: God or whomever built the hours for a reason. It wasn't but it wasn't for them just to fucking die of old age.
Speaker 2: Oh man, Yeah, let's get onto it. What was it at the topic of the let's go to doorbells?
Speaker 3: Someone, I've got a ring.
Speaker 1: I'm going to build this thing that tastes fucking delicious, but I don't want anyone to eat it. It's just going to walk around grass for twenty years then drop dead.
Speaker 3: No answers.
Speaker 1: Come on, bro, you're not smarter than God.
Speaker 2: Come on, a cauliflower steak is pretty good with a nice source.
Speaker 1: Ok Now, come on, you're fighting a losing battle.
Speaker 2: Get off the doorbells and you're crumbing. It's pretty good too if you've put crumbles as well.
Speaker 1: Sorry, rumb you, I'll crumb you.
Speaker 2: Hey, yeah, pretty the doorbells. Look you were saying you're thinking of getting one. And one of the challenges with any sort of surveillance technology is a lot of the companies that sell them also require.
Speaker 3: You to take out a subscription, but you don't have to.
Speaker 2: So I've got the ring doorbells, And for me, what it means is if someone comes to my front door and I'm sitting in the studio space, I get to pop up on my phone. I can activate the camera, but I can talk to the person as well, so you can have a conversation with them. So tif someone came to your house right now to drop off a delivery, there's a lot of doorbells now that not only have a front facing camera, but they have a camera that points down so you can you can see the package that's been dropped off, which is kind of good. Yeah, so there's lots of new ones out on the market. You don't necessarily have to buy a subscription to use them. The other thing that my cameras do, which I really love, is they have a light in them where you can turn the light on manually, so it goes on for thirty seconds. But it also has a siren. So if you're in Tazzy, some dodgy person comes to the door, the camera detects them and you see it. You can flick the siren on and scare the be Jesus out of them.
Speaker 1: That's good. Yeah, I wouldn't mind. I would like just to scare my friends. I mean, so forget the security. How much fun would it be to bloody just terrify? Can we jump back? Just because I actually want to know what ghost GPT is.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so you're talking about all the AI that's out at the moment. Ghost GPT is for criminals. So guess what there's it's out there. It's been released, and the problem is that there are no constraints. See if you go to chat GPT and you try to do something naughty, write some code to hack Craig's computer, it's not going to do it though. There are constraints there. But with this ghost GPT, it's kind of a dark web thing where it doesn't have to. The brakes have been turned off. You know, you can you can fly down that road as fast as you want. You're not putting on the brakes. It's it's just going, you know, full speed ahead. So you know, cyber crime is out there, and so yeah, so the criminals are now using it, and the hackers are now using it. And the problem with this is in the past, when you wanted to get something hacked, you'd have to have quite a bit of knowledge to be able to hack into a system. But using AI to do programming because I use chat GPT occasionally to alter code.
Speaker 3: I'm not a coder.
Speaker 2: I can read a little bit of HTML code and that sort of thing, but I can paste the code into chat GPT and say now I wanted to do this, and it will alter the code accordingly, which is really handy. So if you're not a real heavy intensive coder, you can actually get help from AI. But the problem is if you've got the all the constraints turned off, and this is what this ghost you know, GPT is it's yeah, it's not a good thing. But again it's the knife analogy. I use it to make something, use it to do you know, it's more.
Speaker 1: Good, good or evil. Hey, last one interests me because I've just started because Tiff told me because she's bossy, and also Melissa, who's more bossy that I need to put up videos or that's you know, real south and putting up few reels. But I can't edit for shit. So even the other day I wanted something, I had to ring tip and go can you turn this into a thing? Which I hate doing. But so Instagram, I've got a new video editing app. Is that within the actual what is that? So it's built into it. So look, this has been a response to, I guess the big ban on TikTok in the US and that by extension has happened to a few Australians as well. So when Trump came in, he announced this ban on TikTok because TikTok is owned by China and again the whole China debate, what's TikTok doing with the information? So there was a reprieve for a month, so it because banned for like nine hours or twelve hours and then they reactivated it when Trump said, Okay, we're going to give you a month reprieve, but then we're going to shut it down again. And some Australians who had American based accounts also got locked out of TikTok. And one of the things that TikTok is able to do is it allows video editing as well, built into the software. So Instagram's jumped onto the bandwagon, and I think this was a reaction to that, and they're now offering new video editing features within the app itself means that you can edit, you can trim, you can add effects in the app without having to go to an external program that you may not know how to use.
Speaker 2: So Crago you can now go in and make some changes to your video reels.
Speaker 1: I'm definitely going to have to jump into YouTube to figure out how to do that.
Speaker 3: On I tiff, No Instagram, mate, we're talking about Instagram.
Speaker 1: Not no no, no, I know that, but no, no, no, you missed you did you misunderstood me. I'm going to have to jump into YouTube to watch a video, an instructional video on how to do it.
Speaker 2: You know what a lot about young people and technology is that there's no hurdles, there's no fear, and they'll just jump into a program and learn it without having to get instruction. I just I feel that people our age, Sorry, Tiff, I'm not talking about you like Craig and not my age. There is a there is a you know, it's not innately intuitive to us. I mean for some of it who nerds it is, But the intuitive nature of technology, the younger the people are, the younger people are, they just seem to pick it up and run with it because it's intuitive for them.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's interesting you say that one of my friends has got young kids, and yeah, all of those kids speak fluent English and tech like, they grow up with two languages. So there was a there was never a part of their life where technology and because they're young, like seven eight years old, it was already quite advanced and so by the time they're two or three. But there's this dude, James Gwilt, who used to play for some Kilda Shout out to Jimmy. He comes in to the Hamptons and I've put up a picture of his daughter, Rosie, who's gorgeous. I don't know how old she is, but she's not two. But she comes over and sits on my knee while he goes and buys his coffee, and we fuck around on my phone. She pulls the phone out of my hand and is like, fuck off, Grandpa, give me the phone and starts look looking for pepper Pig on fucking YouTube or and she knows. I mean, she doesn't type in pepper Pig, but I'll.
Speaker 3: Bring up.
Speaker 1: She still, she starts all bluey. She starts scrolling to find the cartoon or the video that she wants, and then she'll play. And I mean, she is not even two years old, and she's already got a better understanding of that phone than my mum, who's had an iPhone for ten years.
Speaker 3: Is that a responsible adult thing to do to let a two year old scroll through your feed?
Speaker 1: I just want I just want her to love me, so I just fucking let her do. I'm like the bad grandfather that lets them eat the lollies and fuck around and stay up late.
Speaker 2: Kids are awesome, and it is amazing to watch the development, particularly at that age. I've got a colleague of mine who has just gone through this whole process, and his little girl's about to turn two in March, and it's like every time I see her, she's doing something new.
Speaker 3: It's phenomenal. It's so interesting.
Speaker 1: Think about how they're evolving, like you and I are fucking plants just blowing in the wind, Like they're like little sponges that just fucking never ever stop. At that age, the development is exponential. When you go risk.
Speaker 3: Plan, I reckon Craig.
Speaker 2: If you're very planned, you're a carniferous But if that.
Speaker 1: Will, say goodbye to tif last Patrick. Tell people how to find you and connect with you, please.
Speaker 2: I can just go to websites now, dot com, dot au. That's the main kind of website that I throw out there. But you know, you can tie chair at home as well. If you think you'd like to get into the zen feel and you want to take a bit of a chill, do some chen bar chan.
Speaker 3: That's my favorite exercise.
Speaker 2: By the way, if you want to go to the website chen bar Chan, I do it with my staff twice a day. It's a good way to just do a really quick two minute exercise. Get off your computer, get off what you're doing, go and have a stretch.
Speaker 3: It's free.
Speaker 2: Go to tie chair at home, dot Com DoD Au and do some chen buch on today on this No.
Speaker 3: It's great, I love it.
Speaker 2: I set up this website during COVID for my students because we couldn't do classes, so it hasn't even been updated since COVID. But it does have some good exercises and Fritz is also there as well.
Speaker 3: So that you go, there's a free before you today.
Speaker 2: Do yourself something, be mindful, do some Tai cheese stretching with me.
Speaker 1: And if you want to go to Balan and pick an apple off his tree, just send him an email. He will gladly accommodate you. Tiffy, What are you seeing Granddad today?
Speaker 4: Tomorrow? Oh tomorrow, right the countryside today?
Speaker 1: When's the shindig? Sorry?
Speaker 4: Is on Sunday. We're having a party on Sunday and on Saturday, the one weekend I'm in Tazzy and Mark Seymour is playing the Boxer Encore Tour, so I'm taking mom and dad to see the box for the first time.
Speaker 2: How awesome is it that will place us if you around, tiff of.
Speaker 4: Course, hopefully we'll be able a Naber t shirt and that is awesome.
Speaker 3: I still want to get a signed album, not from Mark semore from you you.
Speaker 2: I want, I want for one all and I want you to sign it for me. I've got to get one.
Speaker 1: Patrick, you should get Tiff to sign your breasts like all the young fans do. All right, it's been great. Thanks everyone,