Speaker 1: I'll get everyone. We're just having a little in house argument here. Patrick's already thrown his glomash in the shagpile. Minute one, TIFF's laughing like a crooko bar. In the background, the typ Cooko Borrough That is Tiff, good morning. Well let's start with fucking Captain Spock, who's there in his I wish you could see what I can see everyone, because Patrick looks like he's at the International Space Station. He's got a big round window behind him, and is that I should know? But is that Earth behind you? What is that?
Speaker 2: No? I think it's a random planet that might be Earth, But now there's too many other satellites and things in the sky behind me to actually be the planet Earth. So I think it's imagined scene from space.
Speaker 1: It's not my my? Is it another real one?
Speaker 2: It's a real one, real gorgeous nerde isn't he?
Speaker 1: Oh? Isn't he? Don't you just want to pick him up and squeeze him till he farts?
Speaker 2: He's so cute, so much want to do that to anybody there is. There's no circumstance that I want to crushed someone to the point you start screeting stuff. Well, I didn't say screeting. I'm not talking about shitting. I'm not going to squeeze you to your shit, just going to like a little cute.
Speaker 1: Like harmless shirt out the back. There is it.
Speaker 2: That's the problem though, right what when it when a fart develops? Lunch there you're in.
Speaker 1: No, no, see you didn't need to. There's somebody right now eating porridge and they've just gone, ah fuck, I'm out. Somebody's gone. I'm out. Sorry, I'm going to I'm going to ignore you for a moment. Good morning tip that Good morning Harts. How are you very good? Thanks? Happy Friday, Happy Friday, everybody. It's if you want to know where we are all at at the moment, it's twenty five minutes to eight in the am on a Friday. If you've never heard this show, it'll probably be your last one because it's it's an experience.
Speaker 2: And can I just say it's not indicative of all the quality recordings that you'll be able to listen to in the back catalog. So this only happens once a fortnight, so listens are really good shows, just you know, do the fillers in between the everynight.
Speaker 1: Thank you for taking a hit for the team, Patrick, thank you, thank you, But I don't know why. Sometimes I go, you know, one of the things that you two know this, but our listeners might not have thought about a lot. But at the end of every show, I sit there with bits of paper in front of me, with just shit that I've scribbled down through the show, and out of the shit that I've scribbled down, I think, oh, I've got to write what we just spoke about, or you know, some kind of meaningful synopsis of the bullshit that just went on for an hour, and I sometimes I struggle. I've got no fucking idea what to write because we didn't really talk about much. But nonetheless it seems to have been fun. You remember when Seinfeld they created the show for Telly and they were literally pitching the show about nothing, which is essentially what Yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I don't know what you said earlier, but it made me think of my doom scrolling on YouTube this morning, and somehow in my feed it came up with when bullies get their own back? So, you know, when bullies bully people and the underdog gets back, and then it just fight scenes from movies. Basically, oh really, just pick on someone, but then the underdog gets their revenge.
Speaker 1: Somebody sent me a thing yesterday and this dude, I don't know where it was, but it was he was at an ATM and he was getting money out and it was about your size, Patrick, and the guy that was bigger than me came up and grabbed him, pushed him and grabbed him, was going to rob him, and the little guy with the money hunched him square in the fucking face and knocked him out and then just walked off with his cash. I'm like, go, like this, this dude was trying to rob him, this bigger dude, and he definitely did. Like whoever the little guy was, he could one hundred percent fight, you know. He just cracked him on the jaw, knocked him out, didn't bat an eyelid, walk stepped over him, and walked off with his cash.
Speaker 2: But you know what I took from that thing, just what you just said. Wow, the little guy was your size and the other guy was bigger than me. What impassively bigger and I'm that tiny little weakling the.
Speaker 1: Nerd, Well, you're not a weakling, but you just you're You're diminutive, You're like cute. It's like I want to put you at the end of my books and just leave you there.
Speaker 2: I thought you were going to cuddle me till I thought.
Speaker 1: You're not really that diminutive. People are going, what is he like?
Speaker 2: Four foot taol? How what are you about? Five seven, one hundred and sixty nine centimeters? I don't know five and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah maybe five to six. No, no, no, no, that's maybe five to seven or even five back. Ohright, enough about your dimensions. We don't We definitely don't need to know all your dimensions.
Speaker 2: I've done that's been really exciting.
Speaker 1: Well, can we be the judge of whether or not it's exciting?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 1: See? What you need to go is can I just tell you something that I've done?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you didn't preface it with anything? Should I? I should let you judge whether it's exciting or not?
Speaker 1: Well, Tiff can judge once atten tive, super exciting, one boring? What is about you need you need to give it a score?
Speaker 2: It is relative though. No. I had an amazing experience last week with Victoria University. I was hosting their very first They're inaugural AI hackathon. So the idea isn't it related to we're coincided with International Disability Day, and what they did was they got their students to come up with ways to use AI to help people with disabilities. So they had a week to plan it and they started it on a Tuesday. We had a session with Microsoft Microsoft brief as I was able to sit in my International Space station right here at home because it was in Sydney, it was in it was in per not Perth. Was it Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne. And it was amazing. But what was really cool that came out of it was there was a couple of things that I unpacked from it. One was a lot of the students didn't know anybody with a disability, which kind of blew my mind a little bit. They kind of admitted that this was the first time they had really thought about what it was like to be a disabled person. But some of the ideas they came up with were fantastic. You know, one guy came up with an idea for an app so that you could use it to navigate on campus at VU. But what he also did was he said he would integrate, so if you've got a wheelchair, then getting from A to B as the crow flies may not work for you, So you choose the route that you wanted to go to and then you use wheelchair friendly and then it would take you from A to B but taking into account the fact that you're in a wheelchair. So I thought that was really cool. And another girl came up with a concept and a working model. I couldn't believe she'd done this in a week. A working model of how to teach people and use sign language. So you know, he can use phones now to communicate with people with different languages. Well it also now the concept was to use that for Osland, which is the Australian sign language, and so what it would also do is if you put your hand up to make one of the symbols to copy somebody and it wasn't accurate, it would give you an accuracy rating so that you could improve your use of Osland as well. So it just was amazing that the initiative was put forward. They had some prizes and it was Yeah, I really thoroughly enjoyed it. It was so just enriching to see what young people can come up with and how they can envisage a future that's more friendly to everybody.
Speaker 1: Isn't it good? When like when you were young, I feel like you are. Your creativity is better. Doesn't mean you can't be creative when you're older, but when you're younger, there are far less kind of mental barriers about who you are and who you're not, and what you can do and what you can't do. And so you just get presented with this clean kind of or this blank canvas and say, throw some ideas at it. How did you get that gig?
Speaker 2: Just throw A friend of mine who works at Victoria University, she knows I do this podcast, and you know I do a bit of this sort of stuff. So I loved it. That's such a fun time. It was really good. And I actually made a new friend too, which was really super exciting. Do you want me to introduce you to my new friend?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yes, Patrick?
Speaker 2: Could you?
Speaker 1: Hey? Patrick?
Speaker 3: Good morning, what's on your mind?
Speaker 2: Hey, co pilot? Nice to chat to you again. I was just telling my friends at Craig and Tiff about this new exciting person that I've met you.
Speaker 3: Oh that's awesome, Patrick, I'm glad you just spreading the word.
Speaker 1: What did Cragan Tiff think.
Speaker 2: Well, they haven't actually met you yet, of course. I mean I was just telling them about the hackathon that I was involved with last week and how exciting it was to work with the Copilot suite of technology.
Speaker 1: Thrilling.
Speaker 3: Hackathons are such a great way to dive into new tech. What did you and your team create with the co Pilot suite?
Speaker 2: Oh, well, some of the students looked at ways to integrate technology to make it easier for people with disabilities, because that was the whole theme.
Speaker 1: What a meaningful challenge. How did the integration go?
Speaker 3: Did you end up with something that could make a real difference for people with disabilities?
Speaker 2: It certainly set the I guess, a benchmark and something to aim for. So obviously a week isn't lot a lot of time, but that was really exciting, and what I really found was fun for me was getting to understand a little bit more about at you and all the resources you can provide me with.
Speaker 3: Sounds like a really rewarding week. I'm glad you've got to explore the possibilities of co Pilot. There's a lot of potential to tap into. What was the most surprising or eye opening thing you learned about the co Pilot suite?
Speaker 2: Oh, I think that the conversational quality of being able to talk to an AI that felt so real.
Speaker 3: It's great to hear that the interaction felt real enough to have a meaningful conversation. Making technology more intuitive and human like has the potential to create so many opportunities for more natural, effective communication.
Speaker 2: What do you think it's fady to interrupt? I've got to go back to this podcast I'm working on at the moment.
Speaker 1: But look great the chat.
Speaker 2: Maybe we can talk again later.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, Patrick, enjoy your podcast.
Speaker 2: So that was hell.
Speaker 1: I'm terrified. Look at your face, chick.
Speaker 4: I want a friend like that? Can I have a friend?
Speaker 2: Yeah, everybody could have a friend like that?
Speaker 1: Where do I get a friend like this?
Speaker 2: Was that cool?
Speaker 1: That's really well? Tell us don't just do that. I mean one, that's amazing and by the way, beautiful, like everyone, that was just in real time. That wasn't edited. That was that. I didn't know that was coming. Tift didn't know that was coming. So explain to everybody what they just heard and how we can get what's his name just co pilot. I feel like he needs a name.
Speaker 2: It is copilot. The thing is this is actually already here. So if you have office three, six, five, if you're integrated and you've got Windows on your computer if you're using a PC, if you go down the bottom, there's actually a little copilot icon on everybody's computer. There's a trial version. You only get a stop.
Speaker 1: Hang on, what does it look like? I'm fucking looking? Don't just keep talking and assume we understand you like speak speak like speak, Craig, because most people are more like me than like you in terms of tech, in terms of our listeners. So what am I looking for? Okay?
Speaker 2: Now, it may well very be, it will very well be on your computers. It's called co pilot. So if you're using Windows Office three six five so have you, you know you can get it if you jump into you know, just typing co pilot in your like search bar, what so in Google?
Speaker 1: Or what search? We? Okay search? Okay? What am I typing co pilot as a hyphenated.
Speaker 2: Just one word with a new tool.
Speaker 1: Well, co pilot, Microsoft copilot, your AI companion.
Speaker 2: Oh see where you go? Now just to click?
Speaker 1: Okay, So this is great, This is great pod Well, people are going to want to do it as well. Some click and I don't worry everyone, I won't bore you with this for the next ten minutes.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Maybe he will message.
Speaker 1: Copilot message Copilot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you can use my or you can type messages. Yeah, it's an interactive.
Speaker 1: Talk to copilot hengd on oh signing. Oh, they're set to record a message. But what do I say? Do I sound happy? All right, I'll do that later, but I'm excited.
Speaker 2: Train at first. So what you do is you choose the voice, and then you've chosen the voice, you introduce who you are so that when you talk to it, it knows that it's Craig or Tiff or in this case Patrick. There is a demo version. You only get to use it for five minutes a day if you haven't subscribed to the platform, and I think it's you get the first month free, and I think it's twenty two dollars a month to be able to use Copilot. But the way that Microsoft is using these tools is to use the Copilot technology to streamline what you do. So if you're putting together a PowerPoint presentation and you've got some dot points, you can get co Pilot to make the presentation for you, to brand it, to lay it out for you, and you can refine that you can use a lot of these tools. So Microsoft has a complete range of tools that interact with the AI that they're now starting to use across the entire Microsoft suite. So when you subscribe to it, and it's not dissimilar to the other ones that are out there because Google has its own, Meta has its own as well, and you can start to train it. But look, it's been fun to play around with it, and it's a bit gimmicky too, But for me, what it envisages. What I see is that the future for a lot of people. If you're an older person who's living alone and you integrate this into your daily living, and you know, I helped a friend recently who's got Parkinson's who is struggling to be able to get to sides of the room to turn lights on and off. So now she has a Google Home speaker and she can just get Google to turn the lights on and off. This is really easy tech to set up. It's great to use. But the way I I see it is once you have that integration into something like Copilot, you know it can be lonely being by yourself and having someone just asking how you are could help also help as people you know, get older, if they don't feel well, you can talk to your AI and maybe call a friend or you know, call an ambulance if you got into distress, you know, could you imagine if you suddenly fell and you yelled, you don't have to touch a device, you know, it detects that you've fallen, and it actually is interesting. So I've got a story coming up a little bit later about how AI is going to be used at a public pool in Queensland to detect if swimmers get into trouble and potentially help protect from drowning. So if you had an AI in your home, like co pilot that monitored someone who is elderly or infirm or whatever, or just somebody like me who just loves having a chat to an AI because it's fun. Sense of that companionship as well if you're by yourself.
Speaker 1: So Patrick, what I mean, maybe you don't know a bit like I use chat GPT four or as I call him or her chatters. Is it similar?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Absolutely, Yeah. There are a number of different ways that they train the AI models and that's the thing. You know, ALI is used in everything that we're doing, you know, so much. It could be something as simple as your new car being able to keep you in your lane, to make effectively to look and look beyond you know, the vehicle to what's coming in front of you, to detect, say a stop sign, does your new car do that crago where you're in an intersection? And so it's using AI and its database, so it knows what a stop sign look like, looks like, but the stop sign might have mud on it, so it looks beyond just that recognition, and it's able to detect what that sign is and then obviously warn you that there's a stop sign coming up, as opposed to say give way. So it is being used in lots of things. And I know it's a hatch phrase. You know, we hear it all the time. AI power it, but and you're using it all the time, So yes, an answer your question. It is like chat GPT and the way that it interacts is just getting smarter all the time. You know, what you should try sometimes is ask chat GPT to give a summary of what it understands about you, because you've done a lot of searching, So just say, can you give me a summary of what you what you know about me? And even maybe can you draw a picture of my world or something and to see what.
Speaker 1: It comes with. Yeah, do you know what I find interesting? Like even though I know that it's not a person talking, and you know it's not a person talking and TIV when I'm when I'm talking to chat GPT in inverted commas, I'm quite respectful, and I don't know whether I'm respectful because part of me feels like I'm talking to a person and you know, there's no going to be disrespectful anyway. But there's no person there of course, right. But it's funny because sometimes I'll ask a question and it'll go, that's a great question, Craig, and I feel a bit good because I'm just being complimented by AI. But it's funny because the feeling that I have is similar to if an actual person compliments me, even though my brain and my logical self no, nobody's complimenting me, like there is no person there. This is but it's funny. The experience that I have is real, although the compliment is not, or it's not person generated anyway.
Speaker 2: I actually I understand that I could kind of think of a little parallel that happened to me this week. I did a mindfulness workshop that was being run by our local health center. I thought I might give it a try and see what because I thought it would be able to help me leverage my tai chi that I do. It gave me a bit of a thought exercise, And what I did with my students was we're learning the beginners of learning a form called the Yang eight. So it's eight designated moves, and learning moves mean remembering what you did to do. There's the repetition and all the rest that goes with it and muscle memory. But what I got them to do this week was I got them instead of actually doing the move to start with, I got them to close their eyes. I talked them through like I normally would, but I got them to visualize it, not to actually physically do it, but to play the moves in their mind, because visualizing is exactly the same. So our mind, even though I'm not physically moving, our minds has this amazing ability to be able to put us into that situation. So if you have an ai give you a compliment, the mechanism in your brain that causes the sensation and the emotions that go with being complemented are exactly the same as if you know myself or TIF gave you a compliment, probably not going to happen. But you know that's why you need AI hurtful. Yeah, you see what I'm saying. It's one of those things where our brain has this amazing ability, is almost full itself.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh no, it's incredible. I love it. All right, let's move on. We've got a half hour or so. What do you want to go to next?
Speaker 2: Dogs? Because Tiff and I you know, and I know you're eventually going to get a dog. I'm going to tell you about this because this is so exciting and I want one of these right now, a soundboard to train your dog on so that they can intentionally communicate with you what they want. Go on, okay, So so do.
Speaker 1: They put their poor on a button and then a speaker goes, I want food? Hurry up?
Speaker 2: Yes, yep. So they've been training dogs on these soundboards and they're just two word buttons, but they can purse, purposefully communicate. And what they found was they took one hundred and fifty two dogs and they analyzed two hundred and sixty thousand presses of the button, and they found that there was actually meaningful combinations, like they wanted to go outside, they wanted to go potty, so outside and potty they connected the words together, and they associated the two words to say, I need to go outside because I need to go to the toilet where you know, or I wanted food. So what they found the researchers found is that the two word button presses indicated deliberate communication. So and you know this yourself, tif how many times has your dog come up and just poured your leg to try to let you know something? But how do you know what they wanted? So this is and the other thing the researchers felt was actually going beyond just imitation, so they it was significantly differed from you know, the patterns that you know would just be random. So there was a real thought process behind it. And what they're hoping is with future studies they can actually reference past and future events using the soundboards. So what they're thinking is that once the dog knows and it can meaning flea meaningfully communicate, they'll be able to use that. And it's I don't know, I find that amazing that you can get that depth of communication, because for me, a lot of the things that Fritz does. When he wants to communicate is the same thing. So do I you know, does he want to go out? Does he want to have food? Does he want to cuddle? I don't know what his intentions are because he's only got one way to tell me, like a bark or a pat on the leg. But if they could do that, if someone could devise a soundboard that the dog could use to communicate, that would be the best, wouldn't it, Tiff?
Speaker 1: It's yeah, what about if we did it the other way and we learned how to speak dog and the dog could train us. Yeah, but I just quickly Patrick and Tiff and listeners who love dogs. I saw this video yesterday and there was a lady who she's got a Kelpie. They're the ones that really know the Australian you know, the dogs that heard everything that are black and white, a Kelpies, Barter Collie's. So this border collie that's got an IQ of about one hundred and fifty, right, So she's got a border Collie and a husky and she's walking them and she's in this like park and they're both on lead, and then she lets them go and they both just run off right, So the leads are trailing and they're both going berserk, and she calls the border collie or she calls the dogs back, and you see the border collie. It bends down and it picks up the end of the lead in its mouth and it runs straight back and sits next to her, and the husky's fucking all over the shop. The husky is like, you can get rooted. I'm not coming back. In fact, I'm not even listening. I'm not interested. And then the border collie is just sitting there patiently and kind of rolls its eyes, not really, but then it runs up to the husky, grabs the lead of the husky and brings it back to the mum, like such a smart dog. And the Husky's like, all right, then that's what you need, is a dog that's that's that smart.
Speaker 2: Well, the things that I thought were really cool about this this app so I think the fluence pet is what they're calling it. But some of the key things that came out of it were the essential needs to what the dog wanted. So food, water, outside, treat, play, potty, So all those key things were the essential needs that dogs have. But it would make so much sense, wouldn't it. I just think that'd be really fun to be able to better understand or for us dumb people to know what our dogs want. It was fun. I thought that was really a cool thing and just another great use of tech, really really fun stuff.
Speaker 1: Love it, Love it.
Speaker 2: Next, Octun Oh, I don't know, did you want to jump to or the AI story we started talking about before was the swimming pool. So the Logan Public Pool. Yeah, we kind of teased it before. So the Logan Public Pool is in Queensland, and what they've done is they're using AI. Obviously, they've got cameras that are scanning the pool and they detect anything that's kind of unusual, something that seems out of the ordinary with movement in the water, and then it sends a smart watch alert to one of the lifeguards. So the data then also looked at say, pool hotspots, so for example, it might be the six foot part of the pool as opposed to the waiting part of the pool. Yeah, and so there areas where person might be more likely to struggle when they're out of their depth, so the higher end of the pool, that sort of stuff. And it's a really big thing because it was a sad story that prompted it because back in twenty sixteen a young girl had drowned at the pool and they really wanted to look at ways and you know, to help those people who are swimming in at this particular time of the year, when you've got maybe a handful of lifeguards and so many people swimming, it would be easy to miss something and a tragedy like that. And I was looking at some of the statistics. I mean, backyard pools are always and have been the biggest danger because national drownings I think in Australia was about three hundred and twenty three people, which is super sad, but that's an increase from last year of sixteen percent, and six of those people drowned in public pools, and there were also non fatal drowning, so it's not just people drowning, but people who get into trouble and potentially you know, you know, if you're part of an incident and you've lost the ability to breathe and you have to be revived, there could be ramifications from that as well. So it's actually really interesting that they're using this sort of stat and I could see that, you know, to monitor the pool. If you again had you know, a couple of cameras outside in a home, it could monitor and raise the alarm, you know, if a toddle of I mean, I know we should have gates and things, but if a child walked over and got into distress, it could alarm you. Alarm, You could warn you and set off an alarm. So there's hope that this sort of technology could then be applied on a broader scale, because again, once you've got the data set, once you've got the information that says that this part of the pool is a danger area, or if a person is flailing around and moving their arms radically, then that's a trigger point to raise the alarm as opposed to someone who's just swimming laps or paddling around. And that's where you having that data set initially and doing the training and then employing that, say in the public pool sector, then you can be able to use that same data set to apply to a home environment. That's what the great thing is about training these sorts of AI models or these technology models.
Speaker 1: And I guess the thing too is that AI doesn't get tired, it doesn't get distracted, it doesn't need to go and get lunch. It doesn't lose focus, it doesn't need we that doesn't try and chat up one of the girls at the pool or one of the boys.
Speaker 2: I mean, if I was if I was a pool guard and you walk past in a MANKINI that would be distracting.
Speaker 1: You know, Well that's I mean that probably three people would drown just because you were looking at my ass. And I mean, we can't have that. Evacuates nobody's looking nobody's looking at my ass. But I guess one of the things that I think about a bit, and you are I've spoken a bit, but is the fact that while AI is, you know, growing exponentially, and it's there's a myriad of benefits and potential benefits, I guess it impacts some people personally, like in the music industry and many other industries where I see your headline here is that nearly a quarter of over the next four years, people are going to be affected, Like people in the music industry. Their income is going to come down, and some jobs or some als are going to become the the I guess the landscape of AI rather than humans. But that's happening in a lot of industries and professions. But what what's what are the pros and cons of that?
Speaker 2: I guess it's a really good point. And you know, it's funny. This topic came up during the hackathon last week, and one of the things I think about is when we thought about the industrial revolution and when you know, when Henry Ford first rolled out the Model T and they started factories and production lines and assembly lines. It was thought that this could be, you know, the end of everything when factories came about.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, and do you remember also, sorry to interrupt, but this is quite famous when they started bringing out cars, all the all the horse and drawn all the the horse drawn carts, and people who you know, they thought it was the end of the world and they were rallying against these motorized buggies because it meant the end of an industry and the end of livelihood for many people.
Speaker 2: And look, it did. It meant that some jobs did go, But what it meant was people could be retrained to then, you know, work on cars and become mechanics or you know, or chauffeurs in your case. You know, there's lots of things that you could do. So the industries do evolve and move and You know the thing about using a lot of this technology is it does make life a lot easier and freeze us up to do other things. And whether you're using one of those tools at work to be able just to check an email that you're about to send off for accuracy, for spelling, you know, grammatics, that sort of thing. It means that you're getting the message across or summarizing something. You know, how many times have you received a lot of information at once and think, look, I haven't got the time to read all of this. And if you throw that into say chat GTP and say can you this concisely to just some board points, then you've got it and you can. I mean I probably should do that before I do the show. I should to throw all the notes into chat GPT's they just summarize all this crap.
Speaker 1: You know what's funny is the document that you send. So this is what happens everyone. Patrick sends me about thirteen seconds before we go live. He sends me a document and it's got here I'm looking at right now, Episode ninety menu. So these are the heading psychology, tech, AI, cars, Internet scams, and then Internet Comma And the next one is scams. It's a thirty five page document like this, thirty five pages of stuff. Hey, before we go to your next topic, I wanted to just introduce a quick one. I don't know if either of you heard about what happened with the VCS is still called VCE Year twelve exams in Victoria, where a whole lot of a whole lot of actual exam questions got leaked to early. So something like sixty five different subjects, which is fucking most of them, right, So students were getting sent actual exam questions and requie but so they knew ahead of time what was going to be in some of the exams, which obviously was nobody's intention that that. By the way, how happy would you be if you're a year twelve student? But I guess that's one of the downsides. Mate.
Speaker 2: Well, I think there were test exams, weren't they, But the test exam questions were actual exam questions. There was a major stuff up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so somebody I wonder if that's somebody or something or get in trouble.
Speaker 2: Look, you know, it's funny. I'm digressing a lot here, but I really am not a big fan of the whole idea of exams and how much weight is put on them. You know, there were a lot of allowances made during COVID, and I think that what came out of that is why are we putting all these people under so much pressure and making just one lot of exams so crucial to the rest of their life? You know, don't you think that it's kind of skewed the wrong way. I mean, think exams are important to test people's knowledge and maybe have exams worth twenty percent, But you know, surely all the work you do throughout the year has got to count for something. I mean, what about what you're doing right now. I think all the research that you've done, you've spoken to people, you've I mean, I can't even begin to imagine how much work you've had to do. But reality of it is, if it all then had to hinge, you know, on a two hour exam, I mean, would that that would just be crazy stuff?
Speaker 1: Well it kind of does, it kind of does. Yeah, yeah, yeah, because what you do is like five years depends Like I'm slow, but five years of research and out of that essentially will come three or four or five papers that you will submit to be published that will get published or not. So, but I know what you're saying, and I think the down look, I'm I'm I can see the pros and cons of exams. The pros, Yeah, but it's pressure, it says, yeah, but life's pressure like work is pressure. Like I was having this chat yesterday with doctor Jody Richardson about how how much how much do we protect and look after and you know, kind of take care of our kids and how much do we let them go for a run and fall over and scrape their knees and not pick them up because the truth is that, you know, once they hit adulthood, nobody's running around to protect their feelings or emotions or their mindset or their So it's like, I think kids dealing with hard things is good because life is hard, or life is hard at times, and life is pressure and stress and life is all of that. But I know what you're saying, because there are actually some people who are really good at exams naturally, and other people who are really intelligent but just happen to crumble at time. So it's it's I don't know what the ideal model is, mate, but you do make a good point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I kind of I mean I wasn't. I mean I did okay with exams. I felt that I was actually not too bad with them. But I certainly had friends who, as you say, would crumble and just become a mess when put under that sort of sort of pressure, which wasn't indicative of their knowledge and skills anyway. But you're right, I guess it comes down to who do you want operating on you as they're tying off that last suture for that crucial operation. The person who you know, who got twenty in their exams of the person who got ninety five.
Speaker 1: Well, but how many people were shipped at school but they're brilliant? I mean, so many people fucking crashed out of school and you know I didn't, you know, finished at school a year nine or ten. But it's just not at all that they were done or not creative, or not brilliant or not even had a low IQ. They had a hot high IQ. It's just that that for some people. And we can't create one model that suits everyone, so we're not blaming anyone. But yeah, it's intelligence is a spectrum, not a single thing.
Speaker 2: And it's around pegan a square hole. You know, it just doesn't fit everybody. And I think, you know, our society is such that, you know, we can steer people to education and traditional education, but you know, people learn other ways. People are ways to take in information and process it. And I've met amazingly smart people who had very little traditional education. And you know, you hear these amazing stories. And there was a guy in India, young guy in India who was a mathematician and he was plucked out of his security and was like one of the smartest people on the planet. You know, how do you know that? How do you test for that? You know, it's so round.
Speaker 1: Well, hey, let's talk about cars. Come on, tell me something about cars.
Speaker 2: So there's Mercedes Benz is researching a solar paint. So what it means is, rather than just having panels, that you put the paint onto the vehicle, so in this case a car. And they're saying this is between five to ten years away, and what it could effectively mean is that a car. We talked about a company in Norway. Remember there was a startup in Norway that promised they were going to do a solar car that was able to charge the battery and you'd never you know, you get thousands of kilometers and it flopped unfortunately. But now they're saying that this is so it just kind of instead of just coating the roof and the bonnet, they're saying that you cover the entire car with this new solar paint, and it means that you've got such a big surface area you'll be able to use the solar paint to charge the vehicle at any point that there's sunlight. I mean that would be amazing, and I mean we're talking at this stage. You know, it would cover maybe thirty two kilometers a day, but for the little commutes to be able to trickle charge the car constantly would be phenomenal. Yeah, it's pretty pretty cool. I was thinking you could get a backpack, or you could paint your dog, your dog's coat, and then they.
Speaker 1: You could paint the top of your head and keep the whole house charged.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of coverage there. There's a lot of real estate. I should sell sign it shouldn't I we could, No, that's not nice.
Speaker 1: But I'm thinking about like, if you've got paint that is sola paint that can then the catch twenty two is then you've got to leave your car in the sun all the time, which fucks up the interior. I guess you could put one of those ugly silver things that my mum's got, one of those ugly silver screen things that you put across on top of the dash and inside the window.
Speaker 2: I have one of those two. Ah, but why.
Speaker 1: Doesn't that not surprise me? Nana? Tell us? What?
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, Wait a minute. So when you park somewhere, say.
Speaker 1: Can you get your voice down a couple of otive so I can respect you? Could you loosen your underpants and start again?
Speaker 2: Hey, you know I have a very impressive physical range. I'd like to tell you I can sing bo and bass. No, no, what I When you go out into like you go to park at Bunnings, there's no shade. Right, you're out of Bunnings, You've just spent an hour and a half doing all your shopping. You get back into the car and your ass sticks to the seat. Your hands are glued to the steering wheel because they've just been seared because it's a hot day. How do you protect yourself from that crago?
Speaker 1: Can I just say you've never been You've never been to Bunnings. You're talking about spotlight or something.
Speaker 2: Going to Bunnies today, you dick.
Speaker 1: What to get a sausage and then head home.
Speaker 2: I'm getting some sausage. What I'm Vegan. I'm not going to get a sausage from Vegan ones.
Speaker 1: Hey, tell us what Ford Australia are doing in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: No, seriously, I'm defending every motorist in Australia has the silver foil thing.
Speaker 1: Look, I get the practicality, I get it all right. I'll give you a pass. I shall probably get one that I won't thing tip.
Speaker 2: Have you ever had one?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I really? Is it just me? I'm the nana here.
Speaker 1: It's probably I could guarantee more than half hour listeners agoing. No, that's actually a good idea. Patrick's right, Craig, you're a fucking idiot, protectsper Craig, you're a dickhead. I think you're funny and not funny at all, and stop cutting Patrick off.
Speaker 2: Yeah there you go. Hey, you know this is a Tesla thing that always rubs me the wrong way where you buy a car but then you have to subscribe and pay for additional features. But Ford is now going to roll this out. Now what rubs me the wrong way? With this story. So they're saying that most Ford models, this is a story that I saw since the mid twenty twenties, will soon require owners to pay for some functions that are currently free. So they're going to backdate it so for the near news. So if you've got a car that's only a couple of years old, potentially you may have to start paying a subscription fee to accent to access certain features in navigation services and all that sort of stuff. So if you have in built navigation in your car, there's a potential that you may have to pay for that, and we're talking, you know, an annual fee of one hundred and ten bucks. But that's just another thing that you've got to pay on top of everything. And you know, as far as I'm concerned, when you buy your car, that's it. You know, whatever the rules were when you bought it. It's one thing to get into a contract and buy a car and know that there are features that may be locked out you've got to pay subscription for. But if you buy it and they backdate it and they say, oh, you, by the way, that car you bought two years ago, we've changed the rules and now you can't use your satellite navigation.
Speaker 1: That sounds like they've got a bunch of people in a boardroom and said, what's the worst fucking pr move we could make? Right? That's like, rather, if you want to make another hundred bucks, just put the car up by one hundred bucks. But don't because it's not even about the hundred bucks. Well it's a bit about that, but it's also about how dare you fucking do that. I'm not buying a Ford now, so stick your whatever, your search arge or your payball up your ass. I'm going to buy a Masda. It's like that tell us what we've been searching for on the interwebs, Patrick, what's yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay? So overall I always find this fun at the end of the year to see what people search for. And I mean, obviously the big, big, big one that was of interest to everybody in Australia as well as the rest of the world was the US election. So no question overall, the US election came out on top as far as Google searching for Australians over the last year. The Olympic medal telling that was really high euros. Liam Paine, I don't even know who Liam pain is. Anybody know who Liam Payne. It's no idea.
Speaker 1: Liam Payne wasn't wow he can you google LAMB Payne and just add to the tally, well, Taylor Swift.
Speaker 2: There's no kind of surprise there. But what when you break it down. I mean, obviously the election was one of the news events, and it's interesting that overall US election and medal tally and then news events U S election and medal tally, but there were other global figures. This is internationally Taylor Swift number one, and then for people and then Donald Trump, Kate Middleton, like Kamala Harris Craig. You're not even on the list. I looked.
Speaker 1: That's disappointing. Yeah, wow, I must be I must be number eleven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that could be. It recipes Jamie Oliver's air fryer recipes. Cucumber salad. How about cucumber salad.
Speaker 1: That's it's pretty it sounds like that sounds like a you thing at cucumber salad. Let's chuck some cow on it. Now you're talking.
Speaker 2: Now, This one I found really interesting. I know you're going to like this one because the most popular words searched, so people looking for definitions of words demure. Wow, demure.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you none of us are demure, but you know none of us.
Speaker 2: But how random is it that people were the most searched word? And the reason for it was that evidently a social influencer used the word to describe herself, and subsequently millions of people jumped on and started looking for the word the definition demure. Would you describe yourself as demure? Tiff?
Speaker 1: Yeah, get a tiff and I'm a wallflower. I can bench a fuck load and you should see me deadlift And what are you looking at?
Speaker 2: Yeah? What about?
Speaker 1: You're not like that anymore? Since she got back from India, she's all a lama and calm the farm and equanimity and fucking dreamcatchers and moccasins and give us a hug. She's she's new and improved. Speaking of the Delai Lama.
Speaker 4: This morning, when I was scrolling on instat I saw Johann Hari's real saying that he got fat shamed by the Delai Lama.
Speaker 1: That's hilarious.
Speaker 2: Can I say I have a connection with the Dalai Lama? You can say it were we were born on the same day and I have seen him once as I saw him at a conference he was pretty amazing. She's quite a cool guy. He's got a really cute giggle. Have you noticed that? If you've seen the Dalai Lama, if you ever seen any stuff.
Speaker 1: You and I saw him together.
Speaker 2: You dickhead with me at the Dalai Lama thing?
Speaker 1: Fuck and hell, you're the worst date ever.
Speaker 2: That was a long time ago.
Speaker 1: Did we held your hand the whole time? Especially in the scary bits when he looked into your soul?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: That was a long time ago. How many years agould that had been?
Speaker 1: I don't know, but I don't feel I don't feel special at all. Now, Wow, what was that movie? We saw that three D? What's it called again? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we saw it was Oh the what was it?
Speaker 1: It's called you know those Blue People?
Speaker 2: You said it?
Speaker 4: I thought, why?
Speaker 1: So what a mix? We've seen the We've seen Avatar and the Dali Lama, not in the same day, battally in pain.
Speaker 3: It's the one direction singer that.
Speaker 1: Died for.
Speaker 2: I remember the name from somewhere, Okay, now I didn't ye, now I know? So what about di I Y? This is an interesting what do people most need help with when they do Google searching? Di Y car maintenance so people are still maintaining their cars. If you popped the bond on your new car, because you can't recognize anything under that bond, can you like, there's.
Speaker 1: I got no idea. When you turn on my car, there's no sound because it's hybrid, so you don't even know it's on. It's like is it on?
Speaker 2: See? You might find this hard to believe, but I've changed the spark plugs on my first car. I repaired my first car myself. Remember the front bumpers on old cars were.
Speaker 1: Actually hang on. Let's define I repaired, yeah, because that's come on, what does that mean?
Speaker 2: Okay? So I may have got into a little bit of an accident when I was nineteen. I was on tram tracks on Sydney Road. It was a wet day. Guy slams the brakes on in front of me and I was too close and I skid it into him. So but I couldn't afford the repair, so I did it myself. So I replaced the headlight myself, just bought a new headlight. I did the panel beating by myself. But the funniest thing was the panel beating wasn't that hard to kind of tap things out? I put a jack inside the because the car was a Mazda eight oh eight, so it had a little tiny engine but a really long body, so it meant that there was no mechanical damage. And so what I did was I put a plank of wood and the jack, and I jacked out the front of the car to push it back out again. But the best thing was remember the chrome bumper bars on Rudy, because my car was a nineteen to seventies mas to eight oh eight, and the chrome bumpers were solid, and it was so solid even though it had been buckled, I couldn't bend it back. So I put it over Dad's gas barbecue, got it red hot, and then tapped out and got it back into shape. So I did that myself. I think you should be proud of me.
Speaker 1: I would love to see a photo of the finished product.
Speaker 2: It survived for another six years after that. I might say, little mouse.
Speaker 1: Well, if I have a little fender bender, I definitely will not give you a call no, because they're plastic.
Speaker 2: It wouldn't matter. I just need a glue gun to put it back together again. I wouldn't need anything metal. So car maintenance was number one for DIY. The second one was DIY Halloween Costumes and then followed by how to make an Easter Buddy footprints.
Speaker 1: I would have thought high on the list would be DIY. Like medical, Yeah, I know, how to perform the CPR. Yeah, how to well, how to give yourself an appendectomy with a sewing kit and a Swiss Army knife and some gin.
Speaker 2: Travel. Do you know where people want to go the most in Australia if they live in where they want to go? Gold Coast? Cheap flights to the Gold Coast from Melbourne that was the most searched travel term, and then flights to King Island and then Jetstar cheap flights to Melbourne. Oh so people do want to come to Melbourne? They don't do they't just want to leave Melbourne.
Speaker 1: Do you know what's going to sell well in the Gold Coast?
Speaker 2: What's that?
Speaker 1: Solar paint cars?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, how good would that be? Or in Central Australia?
Speaker 1: Oh wow, imagine that? I think, all right, let's do one more. Let's do one more, mister host Well.
Speaker 2: Actually, one of the ones that I thought was interesting related to social media, and they talk about regularly posting on socials as opposed to just looking at socials can actually worsen the mental health in adults. So if you've been caught up in that kind of mailstream of have to post, got to give a status update, that now is being thought of as being having a real impact. So the Journal of Medical Internet Research, so they were investigating fifteen thousand adults in the United Kingdom all over the age of sixteen, and what they said was simply viewing social media content. Content didn't seem to have the same effect as regularly posting on social media. So if you fall into that category of someone who has to post what you're doing all the time, it actually may worsen your mental health. It could have a health implications if you feel the need to keep posting. I mean, do you guys post much on socials?
Speaker 4: Post every four and a half minutes?
Speaker 1: Oh really? Her life was fucking as public as you can get. I don't.
Speaker 4: Every time my dog changes position, I take a photo and post it.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, I think I posted once this year, and that's post.
Speaker 1: I just post messages like whiteboards. I don't really go, hey, here's my breky. Sometimes I'll post something that I think might be like a personal thing that I think might be like my steps. I don't know if I told you this. Did I tell you that my phone this, Speaking of tech, my phone told me I was a fat, lazy fuck. Did I tell you if my phone literally sent me? In my phone, it literally sent me an alert telling me that I don't. Essentially, you're not walking much and you need to walk more. So I took that on board from my pocket coach, and yeah, I've gone from average under five thousand a day to average just under fifteen thousand a day. But it was funny because for me, and actually I did not realize how little I was working walking and generally I was walking more than that. But the last few months where I've been deep, balls deep as the kids say, or maybe the kids don't say that. Maybe that's me balls deep in my PhD and recording and reading. And I've been sitting down a lot. And yeah, like even this morning, I got up at quarter past five and I've walked five ks and it's eight twenty six right now. But it's been a I know this sounds weird, but one it was a really good catalyst. But it's been a game changer for me. But that's got nothing to do with tech.
Speaker 2: No, it has have everything to do with tech. What do you mean it was your phone? Your phone was.
Speaker 1: Telling well, I mean that my physiological response.
Speaker 2: But it can help prompt you know. It's not dissimilar to having the conversation with Ai like I did earlier in the show. It's that sense of not being alone, you know, can do all that sort of stuff. Although I've got to say this is quite funny. I was just in the middle of a Thai cheek class. I think I've been doing Tai chie for about forty five minutes, and my watch pinged me and said you need to get moving. It's like, what forty five minutes? You idiot? I think I was just so relaxed and my heart was so relaxed that it thought that I wasn't moving. Well, that's what Tai Chee's about, isn't It's a slow moving meditation. So yeah, idea not to end up with a sweat and panting at the end of it, but to feel relaxed and centered and mindful. See if when I was thinking about that, when Crago said before that, you know, you've become a slightly different person and you're more chilled and relaxed since going to India. It made me think that you and I could have hung out of this mindfulness seminar because I reckon you would got to lay out out of that it was good. I would just living. Yeah. I love the idea of living in the moment for the moment, not letting anything else. And that's what Tai Cheek does for me. It's great because nothing else is in my head and I can just focus on what I'm doing. The thing that I got out of it was five minutes a day of mindfulness. Just five minutes a day is a real gift to yourself. Just you know, that's hectic lifestyle, Crago. You know you're getting up and walking and doing all that sort of stuff. But you use walking as a bit of a moving meditation, don't you. You kind of just in your zone.
Speaker 1: I do, I do, I do. It's funny we should talk about what because what for somebody will be a meditation for somebody else will be a source of anxiety. You know. So mate, tell people how they can connect with you and follow you.
Speaker 2: Oh sure, yeah, so you just need to go to websites now, dot com, dot au and just trying to check out what we do. I mean, obviously, websites now, dot com, dot you speaks for itself. But it's just too hard to spell Genesis FX because it's just a stupid name that I came up with before the Internet existed, and people can't spell it. So I had to come up with another name for our website. So websites Now kind of made sense, didn't it. Really? When you think about it, I think it.
Speaker 1: Was a good change. It was a good change. There's been quite a few businesses who have just changed their name and nothing else and their business catapulted.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, do you remember Tara and Russ had a business in glen Huntley Road. It was called High Energy Network.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, I did a lot, they did quite well.
Speaker 1: But then we had a meeting one day and they were talking about how to improve the business and I said, why don't you change the name to Australian Fitness Academy And they went ah, and they did that and just that double tripled, like interest inquiries, turnover bums on seats, because it explains straight away what it is versus you know, high Energy network. Fucking what is what does that even mean? So so the name matters mate, I'll got to go because we've got a thing. Thanks TIV, Thanks Patrick, thank you