Speaker 1: This is Healthy Heir with Amelia Phillips and welcome to one of my mini motivation episodes. These are shorter, more practical conversations designed to motivate you with simple, actionable expert advice that you can implement straight away. So today we're going to be looking into a doctor's guide to sleeping better. I recently spoke with Doctor Talkal Pharaoh, a GP that specializes in lifestyle medicine, especially around tracking our health with wearables. Doctor Talkell is the author of The Pulse Cure, which is a book that delves into the research behind wearables to help us manage our fitness, stress, and sleep better.
Speaker 2: So take a.
Speaker 1: Listen to Dr Torkal's advice for us around how we can get a better night's sleep. So many of us are scraping by on five to seven hours of sleep, or some of us even worse, when the research shows that at least seventy to eighty percent of the adult population needs seven to nine hours per night of sleep. I can't remember the last time I had nine hours of sleep, and those of us who might manage to be in our bed for seven to nine hours, maybe we're not getting the quality of sleep that we need. So what are your strategies for helping us get better quality sleep?
Speaker 2: Yes, the first thing would be to be able to track it and to use wearables, to be able to see the sleep and not just have an feeling about it, because how we feel in the morning not necessarily a good measure of how well we have slept. It could be very much dependent on which sleep face you walk up from, whether it was a rem sleep or light sleep or whatever.
Speaker 1: So well, can you expand on this, because that's really interesting because I've heard people will say, oh, if you wake up feeling rested and fresh, then that's a really good sign. So what do you mean by that?
Speaker 2: If you wake up and you really feel rested, then the few people who do that, that's obviously a good sign. But I would guess only ten percent would wake up by themselves in the morning and feel really, really fresh. That is not the reality. So I would think that most people will feel not totally arrested in the morning.
Speaker 1: But what you're saying is if you wake up feeling groggy, that's not necessarily a sign of or sleep. Your alarm might have gone off when you were in a particularly deep sleep cycle. Is that what you're saying.
Speaker 2: That's right, So you should wait maybe half an hour to one hour until you can better feel how the night was, and the feeling of how well you're slept will be very much dependent on whether you have gone through the sleep faces during the night. We will be less aware of whether we have had restorative sleep, like fear Ghiologically, with the heart rate variability, we don't have that much of a sense. So you could have underrecovered, you know, by having a glass of alcohol or eating a late night meal, and you wouldn't really feel it so much that you could see in the heart rate variability.
Speaker 1: But what about the accuracy. I've heard that the accuracy of wearables for sleep is not that great. Is it still useful even if it's not laboratory quality?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's useful, and the most useful part of it is the heart rate variability part of it, so you will get some insight into the sleep faces and then the sleep faces. The AI ring is by far the best one. But the most important thing. I think that whether you have eighty you know in sleep score or eighty five, I don't think this is so important that you have some degree of insight better insight into your sleep. That's very important, I think. And the best advice for getting to sleep is of course cut out alcohol. That is the first killer of sleep. Even though I even as a doctor for many years you used to take a couple of glasses over a red wine every evening to wind down and thinking it would help me sleep. You know what a ridiculous thing. When you see the results and you're wearable, and avoid late night meals, avoid eating anything for the last two or preferably three hours before you go to bed, and in the evening to dim the lights, make your room darker and calm down, read or do something that you can see on your wearable that will calm you down that could be different from what you would expect.
Speaker 1: What do you mean by that?
Speaker 2: A lot of people find out that when they think they were relaxing, they were watching Netflix and eating a bag of crisps. You know, they would think it was like totally bless and calm, and they will see on their heart rate monitor that their stress level goes just through the roof. And because they were not even thinking about this effect, and we don't feel it so well, we're not equipped to feel that change in heart rate very well. Then they thought they were just relaxing and going to bed, but that the heartheed monitor will show that you are stressed. Their hearted could be ten beats higher than their normal resting heart rate. Other than that, make sure to get like you say, seven to nine hours of sleep, I think seven to eight hours somewhere in between there would be enough for most people. And if you're able to have a good sleep consistency, go to bed and wake up at the same time most days and that would be like a good sleep consistency would be within a half hour that is recommended variation. Then that is important. Then your brain is more prepared to go into the right sleep faces and it will sleep more effectively. So having shift work or even in the weekends, have this social jet lag will be very disturbing for your sleep, and that is something as a mom you would have to know that. Okay, there's a price to pay for sleep inconsistency, so to speak.
Speaker 1: I love that word social jet lag. I've never heard that term before, and it's so true, isn't it. When you have a night out and you're not used to going to bed at eleven thirty and you wake up and it does feel like you're jet lagged. Can I ask you something that I'm curious about? In our previous interview, you were talking about heat being not great for heart rate variability, But I've heard that the body likes to fall asleep on a falling temperature, So having a hot shower. I like to have a hot bath at night before I go to bed, and in my mind I'm thinking that you know, it's a falling temperature, like to jump into bed feeling or nice and warm. I'd love to know your thoughts, given your comments on art right variability.
Speaker 2: I think probably probably there and there's all individual variations, but probably a warm, hot bath would stress your system quite a lot, while a warm shower, a warm short shower should be fine and you would get the effect from going out to the shower and then your temperature goes down. Maybe not dry yourself with a towel, but let it kind of naturally cool down could be even better. But I would think that a hot bath. I think if you had a garment watch, you would see it's clearly that it will be a lot of stress.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Because I mean I sit there, it's like a sauna, like I've got beads of sweat coming off my head. So I might actually do some little experiments with my heart rate variability comparing say that to know a more of a tempered shower or something like that.
Speaker 2: And you should have your room temperature in the bedroom should be around eighteen degrees.
Speaker 1: Celsius, which is chilly.
Speaker 2: So and you would see that on your heartet monitor that that would improve your sleep from fifteen even to eighteen degrees in your bedroom. So what you would think, you know is a good warm you know in the in the bed is not good for your sleep. So when you start tracking it.
Speaker 1: There is something nice about feeling cozy and warm in bed, but it's nice and cool outside. My mom swear she sleeps with the window open even in winter, and it's her longevity. Actually said that's why she's so fit and healthy at eighty three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she maybe right, maybe just right. So, and you could see that in your when you start tracking it, that being colder is better.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it should be totally dark in the bedroom. It should be as dark that you cannot see the hand in front of you. So it should be that dark because any any light there would disturb the melatonin production and make and melotonis. It's not just a sleep inducing hormone, but it has a lot of things to do as it's there to regulate how yourselves are working for better recovery.
Speaker 1: And as a doctor, how important is good quality sleep for health and longevity?
Speaker 2: It's extremely important. And do you have you know the Matthew Walker. I believe it's Australian and he has written the excellent book Why We Sleep, and he's on lots of Ted talks and podcasts and all over, and he says that the risk of getting cancer if you sleep less than six hours compared to more than seven hours is twice the risk. You double your risk of cancer. You know, me as a doctor, I've been working so many night shifts, you know, and been flipping around the schedule for sleep, you know, in a terrible, terrible way. I knew it was uncomfortable, of course, and tiring, but that it was downright dangerous and carcinogenic. I had no clue and we didn't know so much about it. As doctors, we haven't really learned how to create health. We learned how to diagnose and treat disease, so creating a healthy life was not on the agenda from the medical study, and that would include you know, sleep, exercise, diet, being able to regulate stress, you know, cutting down on alcohol. Of course, everybody knew we were not supposed to smoke, but other than that, we didn't know so much about how our lifestyle would affect how sick we would be. We were taught that it was mainly a matter of genetics or just bad luck, but that is obviously not true. I'm happy to see that medical community now is much more into preventative medicine, but that we would have to learn on our spare time. It's not what we learned in school.
Speaker 1: No, and that's why you have this explosion of integrative and functional medicine doctors who then go and do the extra training in lifestyle medicine to be able to you know, incorporate some of these strategies in rather than as you say, just you know, going straight to diagnosing and you know, treating with pharmacological drugs and things like that. So it's so wonderful to see doctors embracing this, but also very challenging because a medical system, or here in Australia anyway, is under so much load and pressure from an aging disease ridden populations. It's not an easy job, but you've given us some fantastic strategies to sleeping better, coming from a doctor, which is great to know, and particularly starting with tracking our sleep, which I'm a big fan of, so DTR talker, thank you so much, Thank you, Emelia,